Board index » Present Evidence » Present Evidence

Page 1 of 6[ 208 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ace Attorney Fan Card GameTopic%20Title

I got bored and decided to think up a Ace Attorney card game. I guess I'll go ahead and post up a rules outline and my first mock up of a Main Personality Card.

Rules:

The Ace Attorney Card Game is unlike any other card game! Instead of trading punches, players trade objections! To find contradictions in another's case, one must destroy their witness' credibility. Once an opponent's witness' credibility reaches zero, you may choose 1 of your 5 cases to flip over. Once you've flipped over all 5 of your cases, you win the game!

There are several card types:
:phoenix: Main Personality- This is the character you play as; you can either be a defense attorney or a prosecutor. Your Main Personality starts the game in play and cannot be removed from play or discarded. For the sake of gameplay, the prosecutors can face off against prosecutors, and defense attorneys can face off against defense attorneys. These characters have a number printed on them. This number indicates how many cards you may use in your deck.

:object: Event (I need another name for this, this one has been used a million times)- These cards can do many things. They can be played instantly in their specified phases, and represent everything from mere Objections, to monumental events from the Ace Attorney Series. They have specific effects that impact the game in different ways! Events are played during the Cross Examination Phase unless stated otherwise on the card.

:may: Witnesses- Some of these characters have a constant effect on the game, while others need to Testify to use their effects! Witnesses are played during the Main Phase unless stated otherwise on the card.

:inspect: Evidence- These cards have a constant effect. They're always impacting the case. Evidence is played during the Main Phase unless stated otherwise on the card.

:udgy: Cases - These cards are the way you win the game. Once you successfully reduce an opponent's witness' credibility to zero, you may flip a case. After you've flipped 5 cases, you win the game! Cases start the game in play, turned face down, at the beginning of the game.

:youngmia: Spirits -
1) Spirits may only be played by channeling them.
2) You channel spirits by expending a Spirit Medium you control during the Main Phase. You attach the channeled spirit to the Spirit Medium that channeled it.
3) At the start of the next main phase, all channeled spirits are put into a pile. Once there are 8 Spirits in that pile, you win the game.

Paying Costs:
Costs are paid for by discarding cards off of the top of your deck. If a character has a cost of 2 for instance, you would discard 2 cards off of the top of your deck to pay for the card. You may only play witnesses who's total cost when added together equals 5 or less in any given turn.

Gameplay:

At the start of the game, both players begin with their Main Personalities in play. YOU MUST HAVE A MAIN PERSONALITY!

The players use a random method to choose who goes first (flipping a coin, rock paper scissors, role a die etc.)

Both Players draw 5 cards

The player who goes first starts the game

Phase 1: The Draw Phase- Both Players Draw 2 cards.

Phase 2: Main Phase- Ready all of your Witnesses that have testified to testify again (turn them vertically again). The Active player may play Witnesses, evidence, or play events that may be played during the main phase. You may only play witnesses who's total cost when added together equals 5 or less in any given turn. After the Active player has performed all of his actions, the defender goes through all of the steps of the Main phase.

Phase 3: Cross Examination- Your witnesses may testify against your opponent's witnesses, you may use events, and you may use any effects that may be used during the Cross Examination phase. If your opponent controls no witnesses, you may expend all of the witnesses you control to flip one of your cases.

Testifying- To testify you expend a witness you control (turn them horizontally) and choose a witness your opponent controls. Your opponent may expend the chosen witness to counter testify. If they choose to counter testify, you measure the two testimony values ( the number over the '?') against each other. The witness with the lower testimony value takes damage to their credibility (the value over the "!") equal to the difference between the two values. If the values are even, the defending witness takes 1 damage to their credibility. If your opponent chooses not to counter testify, they take the full amount of damage equal to the testifying witnesses testimony value.
Example: Damon Gant - Enraged chooses to testify against Larry Butz - Man of Many "Talents". Larry chooses to counter testify against Gant. Gant's testimony value is 4 and Larry's is 2. Larry takes 2 damage to his credibility.

Phase 4: The End Phase- Discard any witnesses with zero credibility, use any effects that may be used during the end phase.

Then you and your opponent repeats the same process (excluding the start of the game actions) until one of you wins the game!

And here's my mock up Main Personality:
I used the text box and the background image from the graphic rips gallery, but everything else is me and photoshop, except for the Phoenix art of course.
Speaking of which, I'll be using sprites and stuff for most of this, but if any of you have any quality fan art for me to use if I go through with all of this, I'd be more than happy to use it!

I need to think about this game/test it more for it to be actually playable and stuff, so It's still in the development stages.

So, anything I missed? Any questions or suggestions, grips or complaints?

EDIT:
Oh yeah I forgot to list the Main Personalities I plan to make

Defense Attorneys:
Phoenix Wright
Mia Fey
Marvin Grossberg
Gregory Edgeworth
Diego Armando
Miles Edgeworth

Prosecutors:
Miles Edgeworth
Manfred Von Karma
Franziska von Karma
Winston Payne
Godot
Young Miles Edgeworth

There'll be different versions of each MP to ensure diversity.

Cards:

Main Personalities:
Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney
Diego Armando - Best in the Office
Miles Edgeworth - Veteran Prosecutor
Godot - Furious Avenger
Franziska von Karma - Relentless
Manfred von Karma - Undefeated

Witnesses:
Maya Fey - Kurain Medium
Damon Gant - Enraged
Spoiler: Case 3-5

Lotta Heart - Over Excited
Larry Butz - Man of Many "Talents"
Spoiler: Case 3-2

Spoiler: Case 1-3

Spoiler: Case 3-3

Dick Gumshoe - Under Appreciated
Spoiler: Case 3-2

Spoiler: Case 2-4

Bikini - Head of Hazakurain
Spoiler: Case 1-5

Maggey Byrde - Frantic Officer
Mike Meekins - At Attention
Spoiler: Case 1-4

Maya Fey - Phoenix's Friend
Maya Fey - Phoenix's Guide
Pearl Fey - Phoenix's Friend
Mia Fey - Phoenix's Mentor

Events:
Wait Right There!

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee
Illegal Evidence
Reggae Detective
She's Fainted!
Zvarri!
Spoiler: Case 1-5

The Edgeworth Legacy
Victory!
Reporting for Duty!
The Police at Work
OBJECTION!

Spoiler: Case 3-3

Evidence:
Missle
Godot's Visor
Larry's Sketch
Lotta's Photo
Bruto Cadaverini
Image of the Past
The Thinker
Edgeworth's Knife

Cases:
The First Turnabout
Bridge to the Turnabout

Spirits:
Mia Fey
Spoiler: Case 2-2

Last edited by Pickens on Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Re: Ace Attorney Fan Card GameTopic%20Title

Struck by a blunt objection

There was a really lengthy topic about an Ace Attorney Trading Card Game. I don't remember where it was though.

The Missing Link

Honestly, I'm not one for trading card games because they seem overly complicated to me already, but your game sounds 10 times more overly complicated...

But I do really love that layout you got for that card there.

Mikker wrote:
There was a really lengthy topic about an Ace Attorney Trading Card Game. I don't remember where it was though.

Really? I don't remember anything about a trading card game but there was a poker card project going on at one point that I remember

~We will become one~

Location: ~I am here, I can definitely feel you, we are here in the same sunny spot~

Sounds cool. How about making Lana a prosecutor?

How about having Assistant?

They could be Maya, Pearl, Grossberg (change it?), Minuki, and Kirihoto.

Jibo wrote:
Sounds cool. How about making Lana a prosecutor?

How about having Assistant?

They could be Maya, Pearl, Grossberg (change it?), Minuki, and Kirihoto.

Ahhhh yeah, forgot all about Lana. I certainly plan on having a Maya suspect and witness, and for the sake of gameplay, I may just make Pearl and Minuki witnesses. I should probably also make a Kirihito Defense Attorney.

Also, I forgot 2 of the most important rules, decks consist of 60 cards (not counting your Main Personality and Suspect), and you may use up to 3 of each card (except for those that start in play like your Suspect and Main Personality) unless otherwise stated on the card.

I'll probably need help making the GS3 cards, since I haven't played that game yet.

And for those intimidated by card games, typically when you just read the rules, you really don't get a feel for the game. Typically, it makes a bit more sense if you get someone to play a teaching game with you, and after you've played a few games, you'll get the hang of it.

As for me, since I've started playing card games, there's only been one year where I haven't had a game to play. I started with Pokemon in elementary school, and quit in 6th grade. Then I started to play Dragonball Z until that ended in 2004, I played Yu Yu Hakusho until the 4th set, and I played InuYasha when that came out, and I still do today. I also plan on playing the Bleach card game which comes out this May. I've tried Magic, YGO, Epic Battles (Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat/Tekken), and World of Warcraft. I've been to many regional level, and one kind of worlds (which I Top 8'd at) level events for various games and I really love playing card games in general. So, I'd really like to at least make an online version of an Ace Attorney game for everyone to enjoy.

The foxy ladies can't resist my sandwich

You forgot Kaminogi as a defense attorney Javado

Spoiler:
I know Godot and Javado are the same, but for diversitys sake...

fuck

Image Image
ImageImage

More cards, I may add some textures or something because they're looking kind of plain...

Struck by a blunt objection

I don't know what happened to the other thread, but the idea of it was QUITE a bit more thought out than this version.

some sort of diabolical mastermind

Add templates and I shall assist.

Harry Miste wrote:

Do you mean just have blank templates, or do you mean you need the PSDs or whatever to help with the game?

I'm talking it over with a few people and I've come to a few methods to 'win' the case.

I'll either have it so witnesses have effects that do a certain amount of damage through their testimony, or I may have it so a player has to win a certain amount of credibility from the judge (in that case I'll have to rename it, since it really doesn't sound right). And I'm still looking for a lawyer-ie way to say "event" so that's still open for suggestions. Though remember, the name'll have to cover everything from court room manuvers, to special events like Maya leaving for training etc.

pixel artist

lol at Edgey's 1 heart.
I REALLY want to see more of these... perhaps even play the game Gant

"Too Awesome to Die"

Pickens wrote:
I'll either have it so witnesses have effects that do a certain amount of damage through their testimony, or I may have it so a player has to win a certain amount of credibility from the judge (in that case I'll have to rename it, since it really doesn't sound right). And I'm still looking for a lawyer-ie way to say "event" so that's still open for suggestions. Though remember, the name'll have to cover everything from court room manuvers, to special events like Maya leaving for training etc.

Hmm....That's a hard one...You could keep event, but like you said; it's been used way to much already.

I have an idea for effects for your already made cards.

Larry: One of the rarest cards, completely (Still working on how) f*cks up your opponent's case.

Ini Miney: Stop mid sentence: Make your opponent need one more piece of evidence to break testimony. Quote: Well...Like..................

Edgey: Forge evidence: Can be used to replace one evidence card, so you don't have to use it. Quote: Tsk tsk tsk...

Objection: Quote: OBJECTION!

Phoenix: n00b: Gain sympathy from the Judge for being a new attorney aka get an extra card on your first draw turn. Quote: You're lying damnit, and I can prove it!
Child of Lida_Rose and Aliucon. Married to yuzikichan0! Father of Ha³ and Apollo72.

some sort of diabolical mastermind

Pickens wrote:
Harry Miste wrote:

Do you mean just have blank templates, or do you mean you need the PSDs or whatever to help with the game?

Both if need be.

Evil Mastermind

I'd like some blank templates too. This sound VERY fun.
(9o_o)9 Number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine

Dig yourself! Lazarus, dig yourself!!!

Some ideas for Event Cards:

Unexpected Witness (Larry popping out on case 1-4): whoever plays this card can add an extra witness to his hand
Illegal Evidence ( Damon at the end of 1-5): discard a piece of evidence from the opponent's hand
We're all in Gant's hands. Let's hope he won't clap them this time.

Criminal love.

Rather sketchy, don't you think?

A Phoenix Wright card game could be fun to play.

I'd try it out. :3

OBJECTION!er

Godot Your idea intrigues me...

I want to make some cards now~

but it's 2am, so I'll wait until tomorrow to do that.

Phoenix is a hobo!?

Nince, i'll help. Would there be a judge card? Judge
would there be Guilty Not Guilty Cross Examination cards?

Yeah, I haven't abandoned this yet =') I just need to put A LOT more work in on it. I'd kind of like some more input from some outside sources and I need to think deeply on some key parts of the game, especially the whole 'winning' thing ='/

spr fckn srs peepz

Pickens wrote:
OBJECT! Event (I need another name for this, this one has been used a million times)- These cards can do many things. They can be played instantly in their specified phases, and represent everything from mere Objections, to monumental events from the Ace Attorney Series. They have specific effects that impact the game in different ways!

How about Paradigm Shifts (as to honor Kirihito Garyuu's quote from a trailer long ago)?

Personally, I play card games, and this makes no bloody sense.
http://vanderlund.blogspot.com - Because the only fantasy worlds I like are those I write myself.

Gant '08

Quote:
Larry: One of the rarest cards, completely (Still working on how) f*cks up your opponent's case.

Flip a coin. If the opponent gets it correct then larry is discarded and cannot be used again that game. If they get it wrong they lose a point or something. (Remember phoenix said that larrys testimony could take it either way)

Hug an Edgeworth today <3

Thats really complicated, but I would probaly get it if I played it with someone who understood it! I love the card layout art thingy ma gigger. Phoenix
Thank you very much Deefunx for the sig ^_^

One thing I will not have in here is coin flip effects, those are suuuuuuper annoying. Other than that, I'd like to get a sample MWS (magic workstation) set made so I can teach the game to a few people, if people understand it a bit better then they'll be able help me with it better.

You can download MWS here:
http://toptiergaming.com/modules.php?na ... load&cid=4

I wouldn't download it until I have the set made though; to my knowledge that's the trial version but it never expires. It's limited in what you can do but you can't have an avatar you can't solo test against a different deck etc. It still plays online perfectly fine though.

Jester of the Underworld

This could be fun. I have played both DBZ up through Buu Saga (did very well, then just kind of ditched it in favor of YYH when the GT sets came out.)

Played Yu-Gi-Oh virtually for years, and I am actually the reason a few cards got errata'd in DBZ and Yu Yu. :-)

I can also say I overkilled IQ, creator of the DBZ game, won a dozen ultra rares for doing that. :-)

I'd love to help with a play system, and card design.

Want your very own Hobohodo/Young Ema button? Click the picture or PM me for info!

Athena Internet Defense Force

I...I dunno...

Its HARD to make a card game...you have to consider so many elements...

But if you pull this off, I'd give it a try.

spr fckn srs peepz

Pickens wrote:
Defense Attorneys:
Phoenix Wright
Mia Fey
Marvin Grossberg
Gregory Edgeworth
Housuke Odoroki

Prosecutors:
Miles Edgeworth
Manfred Von Karma
Franziska von Karma
Winston Payne
Godot
Kyouya Garyuu

There'll be different versions of each MP to ensure diversity.

That's how they do it in UFS and quite frankly, it's the best way to go around the limited character pool.
http://vanderlund.blogspot.com - Because the only fantasy worlds I like are those I write myself.

Lady Luckless

This would be loads of fun. The idea itself still seems to be in its drawing-board phase, but if you could smooth it out a bit, I'd love to play it.
Witness: Wendy Oldbag. (The picture could be the one of her firing the raygun in GS2.) Effect: Babble. The opponent loses one turn trying to absorb everything this witness insists on talking about. Quote: And that's when the class hamster died they called me the Queen Reaper can you believe it little old me I swear I cried and cried and...

Prosecuter: Fransizka von Karma. Effect: Intimidation. The Defense Attorney takes double penalties when presenting incorrect or unjustified evidence. Quote: Mr. Phoenix Wright is a foolishly foolish fool who foolishly dreams foolish dreams!

Assistant: Ema Skye. Effect: Scientific Scrutiny. The Defense gains one extra piece of evidence when this assistant is in play. Quote: It's just a flesh wound, Mr. Wright!

Witness: Mike Meekins. Effect: Dazed and Confused. The Defense cannot press this witness due to his general incompetence. Instead, evidence must be presented in order to obtain new information. Quote: My profession? That would be murderer, sir!

Witness: Shelly de Killer. Effect: Disappearing Act. One assistant or witness is removed from the game. Or the earth. Quote: I see you are quite a dark-hearted man, Mr. Attorney...

Just a few ideas. Edgy Thinks
"Show me an innocent... I'll show you a fairy tale."

Go Super Dragon!

Yay I will now blow my fairy dust and make you some new cards

Witness: Ini Miney
Effect: Airhead Ini Mimi
After Sher testifies The defence can exchange Ini For any Other card In his/her deck
My Brawl Code:1977-0094-1900Don't Bother Anymore

Give me a Not Guilty or I'll eat you!!!

Here are some suggestions for cards

Defence Attorney
Gregory Edgeworth -- Miles' Father --
Effect: Accuse of Forgery- After opponent presents evidence, you may flip a coin. If heads, the opponent is penalized*. If tails, you are penalized*.
*Double if opponent is Manfred von Karma.
Quote: My murderer's name is Yanni Yogi.
Rarity : Rare (just an idea)

Prosecutor
Manfred von Karma --Perfectionist--
Effect: Perfect Case (or Forge Evidence)- Once per turn, you may check your deck for new evidence. Reshuffle afterwards.
Quote: Decisive Evidence, a decisive witness... what else could possibly be required?

Event
Psyche-Locks
Effect: Flip 5 coins until tails. Keeps one of the opponent's witnesses from testifying for one turn per heads.

Event
Maya's Magatama
If opponent plays Psyche-locks, play this card to cancel the effect. Negates only one Psyche-locks card.

EDIT: Manfred's quote fixed
( ^ Equals Three parody ^ I am not in any way affiliated with RWJ )

Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage<--- Please click

Last edited by Phoenix223 on Wed May 30, 2007 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

The foxy ladies can't resist my sandwich

Phoenix223 wrote:
Quote: Decisive Evidence, a decisive witness... what else is needed?

It's actually "what else could possibly be required" but good suggestions.
fuck

Give me a Not Guilty or I'll eat you!!!

DarzieP wrote:
Phoenix223 wrote:
Quote: Decisive Evidence, a decisive witness... what else is needed?

It's actually "what else could possibly be required" but good suggestions.

Whoops. Thanks for clearing that up
( ^ Equals Three parody ^ I am not in any way affiliated with RWJ )

Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage<--- Please click

17 Cups to Justice

I think that this is a awesome idea! I used to make simple card games from different anime series' using the Yu-Gi-Oh card system (Monsters, Effect monsters, magic, trap etc.) But I think the way you have set it out is pretty cool. Better than most the original ideas some people could come up with. If this ever goes famous, count me in on buying some. :godot:
Although this game does slightly SLIGHTLY resemble the FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist) Trading Card Game (TCG). Probably coincidence. Keep it up!

Eslpdd out *wink*

Thanks! Funny thing though, after beating Trials and Tribulations, I started randomly working on this again. I decided to start back from scratch though, so there are some things that are different, and I don't have some of the specifics pounded out yet, but I have a basic idea. Here are some cards I put together though:

The most major changes to the gameplay are that evidence doesn't attach to characters, there are no suspects, I have alternate win conditions, you pay for cards differently, and the number printed on the defense attorneys/prosecutors indicates how many cards your deck can hold.

Sorry about the double post, but I've made a lot of progress on this game! I edited the rules to reflect the changes I've made, and I've got a template made for every card type now! Here are the cards I have written/made so far:

Updated Maya

Event

Evidence

2 Cases

If you guys have any suggestions/questions about the game or gameplay, just feel free to tell me!

Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff

Quote:
The number printed on the defense attorneys/prosecutors indicates how many cards your deck can hold.

:holdit:
Wait... Won't that create balancing issues? I mean, if I can have 65 cards in my deck and you can only have 55, won't that mean you'll run out a lot faster than me? Does running out of cards have any significant impact on the game?

Other than that, I love this idea and support you to the end! If I had more friends who played PW, I'd definitely buy myself a set of these when they came out. I'm excited to see how this turns out and I hope you have fun making it! I'll be watching this one...
Thank you for reading. I hope you have a wonderful day.
100% pure Joy.
Excellent source of puns.
Refrigerate after opening.

Slezak wrote:
Quote:
The number printed on the defense attorneys/prosecutors indicates how many cards your deck can hold.

:holdit:
Wait... Won't that create balancing issues? I mean, if I can have 65 cards in my deck and you can only have 55, won't that mean you'll run out a lot faster than me? Does running out of cards have any significant impact on the game?

Other than that, I love this idea and support you to the end! If I had more friends who played PW, I'd definitely buy myself a set of these when they came out. I'm excited to see how this turns out and I hope you have fun making it! I'll be watching this one...

The idea behind that is that the guy with 55 cards in his deck can more easily draw specific cards. So, if you're using a deck that relies on drawing specific things (such as my idea right now for Kurain Mediums having to draw into spirits), it'll benefit you to have less cards in your deck because you'll have a higher chance of drawing it. As far as people with more cards, it's true that they'll live longer, but your deck will be less consistent and possibly have a few cards that are either fillers or situational just to meet the deck size requirement. So deck size is a dual edged sword.

I've made A LOT more cards, tell me what you think.

Don't look at this if you haven't finished case 5 of the first game:
Spoiler:

Don't look at this if you haven't finished case 5 of the third game:
Spoiler:
Also note that effects that say "If your Main Personality is Godot." do not count if your main personality is Diego Armando.

Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff

Spoiler: Little tibits about Case 3-5
Just a small note. Iris doesn't have any spiritual power, so she's not a spirit medium. I'd change her occupation to something like "shrine maiden" or something of that nature. Not to mention I don't think Iris has a last name... Not even "fey"... Dahlia's last name is "Hawthorne", though she was born from a Fey mother... It might just be nit-pickery, though, I'm not sure if it's THAT important.

Thank you for reading. I hope you have a wonderful day.
100% pure Joy.
Excellent source of puns.
Refrigerate after opening.

Slezak wrote:
Just a small note. Iris doesn't have any spiritual power, so she's not a spirit medium. I'd change her occupation to something like "shrine maiden" or something of that nature. Not to mention I don't think Iris has a last name... Not even "fey"... Dahlia's last name is "Hawthorne", though she was born from a Fey mother... It might just be nit-pickery, though, I'm not sure if it's THAT important.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do with Iris, you'd think her last name would be Fey though since she's Morgan's daughter. I'd like for her to have a last name like everyone else sans Godot, so if someone can't come up with a reason why her last name wouldn't be Fey, I'll probably just end up keeping it that way. And I'll probably end up taking "Spirit Medium" off, the only case where I think I may have to keep it is if my channeling decktype requires her to have it, and in that case I may just lower the requirements for pulling of what ever alternate victory I think up for them just so she'll fit with the Video Game. Also, as a question to anyone who knows, what's the extent of Bikini's spiritual powers? They don't really ever explain it, so if it's never really stated, I may just list her occupation as "Spirit Medium" for gameplay purposes.

Nothing Objectionable In This Cubicle!

I would, indeed, like to subscribe to this newsletter. As you get the game into a more structured condition, please keep posting more detailed rules and card sets. I'm very interested in seeing how it plays. And if you'd like some help with pulling everything together, let me know and I'll see if I can think up some interesting stuff for you.

Oh, and some suggestions for your quandries:

Spoiler: T&T Case 3-5 Spoilers
Iris doesn't necessarily have a last name, since there are equally strong arguments that it is Fey, Hawthorne, or nothing at all. If you want to keep the FN LN pattern, why not call her Sister Iris?

As far as the Spirit Medium thing goes, if the rules are tweaked slightly so that "Spirit Medium" counts any cards with those words somewhere in the description line, then Sister Iris and Sister Bikini can both be called "Spirit Medium Trainers", which is more accurate to what they do.
Page 1 of 6 [ 208 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Present Evidence