Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony

Page 2 of 5[ 189 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: [UPDATED! 9/22] Struggling Against GravityTopic%20Title

俺の黄金の魔女

Once again, Raelle deserves credit for half. And all the good stuff. Don't beat me, darling!

Struggling Against Gravity
Chapter Three

It was always harder to come into work directly after a case. It might have been because court was always such a tense, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants affair that his mind rebelled against even the possibility of doing it again so soon. Or perhaps it was a way of rewarding himself; since people rarely treated him to a celebration, he had to take what he could get.

Whatever the reason, Phoenix didn’t make it to the office until the women from across the hallway were going on their lunch break together. Both of them glanced at him as he attempted to fit his uncooperative key in the lock, and hesitantly returned his friendly nod. Sometimes he wondered what the other inhabitants of the building thought of his practice, what with the Feys and their unusual outfits, and the odd hours he tended to keep when the two aforementioned girls weren’t there.

When he managed to get the door open and stepped inside, the first thing he noticed the message light of the phone on the desk—once his, now Maya’s— blinking rapidly in the darkness of the waiting room. That was getting to be a more and more common sight as the years went by; occasionally he’d have messages even when he made it a point to come in early.

Phoenix hit the button and allowed the recording to play as he walked across the room and turned on the lights. They flickered briefly, then bathed the office in that cold, artificial light commonly found in doctors’ waiting rooms. Automatically, he went to the window and opened the blinds, tempering the glare with warm sunlight.

As he turned to open the door that lead to his office, a familiar voice filled the room. “…Nick, I know you’re there! How could you, man, I thought we were buddies! Friends to the end! And here you are, in my hour of need…”

It was one o’clock in the morning, Larry. Of course I wasn’t here! As Phoenix set the files from yesterday’s case on his desk, he wondered if was worth it to give Larry a call back, or to just assume that his latest crisis had worked itself out, as they tended to do—barring accusations of murder. He sat down and glanced at the paperwork in the corner, then pulled out his cell phone, debating.

Phoenix nearly jumped out of his skin when the phone came alive in his hand, Steel Samurai ringtone blaring from the tiny speaker. Without even glancing at the display, he answered it.

“Hello?”

“Hi Nick!” the familiar voice crackled over the line.

“Maya!” he exclaimed, unconsciously leaning forward against the desk. There was a hiss of static, and distant background laughter echoed thought the speaker. “Where are you?”

“I’m in the phone booth,” she said.

Oh, that narrows it down. “You mean the one in Kurain?”

“Of course!” He could practically hear her rolling her eyes. “Where else would I be?”

“In your house?” Please tell me you didn’t forget you had the phone put in.

“Nah, that was too far—“ The bus stop is right across the street from Fey Manor; it’s practically a thirty-second walk away! Phoenix mentally interrupted. “—so I decided to call out here.”

The office phone began to ring. “Just a second, Maya,” Phoenix said, picking it up and shoving it under the desk, then walking to the other side of the office so it wouldn’t blare so loudly. “So, what’s going on? That emergency…?”

For a second, Phoenix thought the call had been dropped. Then: “That? Oh, that was no trouble at all for me. It’s all taken care of! I was calling up to check up on you, Nick.”

“Me?” He settled into one of the chairs reserved for clients—the ones that were almost never used, since most of his clients had already been arrested by the time he took their cases—and heartily wished the answering machine would just pick up already.

“To see how the case went!” she said. “Must have been tough without me there to guide you along, huh?”

For once, nothing sarcastic came to mind. “Yeah,” he admitted, smiling. “It was.”

“I was afraid you’d lost and were crying yourself to sleep or had committed hara-kiri or something. I couldn’t reach you at all on Thursday.”

Hey! Now that’s taking it a little too far! “No, I won. I think the only reason it took as long as it did was the prosecutor kept on objecting to his own witnesses,” he explained. “And I didn’t find out my cell phone was dead until this morning. Sorry about that.”

The office phone had finally clicked over into voice mail. Phoenix got up to get a cup of coffee from the office’s tired, old coffee maker—the ins and outs of only Pearl was intimately acquainted with, though he could usually get it to spit out a pot or two if he was desperate. He held the phone awkwardly between shoulder and ear as he poured.

“I tried your apartment too, though,” she said. “Did you forget to pay the phone bill? You should really be more responsible about these sorts of things, Nick.”

That sounds funny coming from you. “If I’d forgotten to pay the bill, you would have gotten a ‘this number is no longer in service’ message,” he said. “Sorry I missed you on Thursday, it’s because I didn’t get home until late. I went out to dinner.”

“Oooh, a hot dinner date, huh?” Maya said. “You better be careful, or I’ll tell you-know-who!”

And who would that be exactly? “You can tell whoever you want. It was with Edgeworth.”

“What?! You had a hot dinner date with Mr. Edgeworth?!

Phoenix began to splutter a reply, but the phone slipped from his precarious hold. When he grabbed at it, his other hand moved directly in the path of the coffee he was pouring. Luckily it was more lukewarm than anything else, but that still left him with a wet hand and coffee all over the counter. Sighing, he reached down for the phone and grumbled in irritation when it skittered from his grasp.

His fingers finally closed around the cell phone and he brought it back up to his ear. “Sometimes I really have no idea how your brain works,” he said sourly, blotting up the mess on the counter with some napkins.

“Oh, come on, Nick! It was a joke!” she protested, not hiding the laughter behind her words very well. He imagined she had a good idea of what his reaction had looked like. “You really need to lighten up. If you don’t stop all the doom and gloom, you’ll get wrinkles. And then not even Mr. Edgeworth will go out to dinner with you!”

Doesn’t seem to do Edgeworth any harm, Phoenix thought. The prosecutor’s hair might be going slightly prematurely gray, and he had tired lines at the corners of his eyes if someone looked hard enough, but no one would ever mistake him for being older than he was.

“Do you have another case this soon?” Maya asked. “The two of you are finally facing against one another again?”

“Hmm? Oh—no, we’re not. Not yet,” Phoenix said.

“I thought…well, I suppose that makes sense. It wouldn’t be much fun to go out with Mr. Edgeworth if you were going to have to face him in court the next day. Just think, every time you tried to talk—” Maya’s voice dropped in pitch, and she began a passable impression. “Wright, you know I’m the prosecutor on this case! We can’t discuss that.

Sadly, she’s probably right. But there was something more pressing he wanted to talk about than their dinner. “Hey, Maya…when do you think…”

“I probably won’t be able to make it back for a few more weeks,” she said, intercepting his question. “There’s some stuff that needs my attention.”

Hmm, sounds like that emergency is a little less resolved that she let on, Phoenix thought.

“Do you—“ A sudden crash filled his ears, so loud Phoenix half leapt out of his chair, and, for a moment, wondered if it was in the office and not on the other end.

“M-Maya! What happened?” The high-pitched sound of wailing filtered over the phone. It seemed too young to be hers, but that didn’t do much to ease his fear.

“Hey, Nick, can you hear me?” She sounded distracted, but fine. Even amused.

“What just happened?” he demanded again.

“Oh—hold on just a sec.” She said something indistinct to someone else before coming back on the line. “Don’t worry. Claire’s little sister just crashed into the telephone booth.”

Phoenix wasn’t sure he heard correctly. Dare I even ask? “Crashed into the booth? How on earth—“

“It’s easier than it sounds!” she said. “I used to do it all the time when I was little.”

No surprises there. His heart began to settle back into a normal rhythm.

“Two laps around Fey Manor,” she continued, voice thick with memories. “To win you have to touch the phone booth.”

And that includes smashing into it? “I’ll take your word for it,” he said.

“I’ll challenge you to a race next time you’re up here!”

No thanks. Not if it involves planting my face into something.

“Sorry, Nick, I better get going. It looks like her nose is bleeding pretty badly, and she hasn’t stopped crying. I’ll call you soon.”

“All right,” he said. “I’ll talk to you later.” Master of Kurain Channeling or Master of Babysitting? he thought affectionately as he hung up the phone. The office seemed a little larger, slightly emptier, without her voice to fill it.

Enough stalling, he told himself as he fished the office phone out from underneath the desk and set it back into its proper spot. I need to finish this paperwork anyway. The office bathroom needs a once over too.

The noise from the television drifted across Phoenix’s consciousness as he worked. When the girls were here, the office was usually filled with the sounds of Maya’s cartoons, or—when Pearl managed to win at “rock, paper, scissors”—weepy violins from the forgotten black and white romance “classics” a local station liked to broadcast in the afternoon. But when Phoenix was alone, news was the default.

“…the Prosecutor’s Office…”

Phoenix turned his head. He glanced back down at the nearly finished paperwork as if in apology, then shifted his full attention to the events on the television for a few minutes.

It wasn’t actually a story about the Prosecutor’s Office; they had just been mentioned in conjunction with a high profile case. Phoenix’s attention drifted once again. Unbidden, the memory of the circles under Edgeworth’s eyes returned. He could probably do with sleeping in like I did for a few days.

I wonder how he’s doing today… Phoenix recalled Edgeworth’s half-startled wave when Phoenix had called out to him at their parting last night. He contemplated the office phone, rolling the coiled cord between his fingers as he considered. There’s one way to find out, I suppose. It couldn’t hurt...

His momentary action was stalled when he picked up the phone and realized he wasn’t sure what number to dial. He called Edgeworth so infrequently, and when he did, it usually had been a message left on the prosecutor’s answering machine in his apartment back in Europe.

Phoenix began paging through the old-fashioned roll of addresses and phone numbers on his desk—as many things in the office, it was a holdover from Mia. He seemed to remember putting at least one contact number for Edgeworth in at one point years ago, probably after the trial where he had defended him against von Karma.

Edgeworth, Miles…just his work number, huh? It was better than nothing. Thank goodness he hadn’t destroyed it in a fit of pique, considering the events shortly afterwards. Not giving himself the time to talk himself out of it—I said I’d call him—Phoenix dialed the number. He swallowed to wet his throat as the phone trilled in his ear. Just in time; the ringing stopped suddenly as the call was picked up.

“Prosecutor Miles Edgeworth speaking.” He sounded abrupt and slightly irritated.

Maybe this is a bad time, Phoenix thought. On the other hand, he’d be hard pressed to think of very many times that the prosecutor didn’t sound abrupt and slightly irritated. He briefly switched the phone to his other hand and wiped the damp palm against his pants distractedly. “Um, hey. It’s me.”

There was a short silence. “…Wright?”

Who did he think it was? “Yeah,” Phoenix said, walking forward until he was looking out the window.

“Is there something wrong?” Edgeworth asked, sounding only slightly less irked.

“Remember? I said I’d call you,” Phoenix said, beginning to wonder why he’d ever thought this was a good idea.

“I’d assumed it wouldn’t be during working hours,” was Edgeworth tart reply.

“I don’t have your cell number.” Phoenix pinched the bridge of his nose. “Anyway…” He paused, searching for something to say. “How’s your day going?” Why am I doing this? Has too much time with Maya made me into some sort of masochist?

“Busy,” came the reply. Indeed, Phoenix could hear someone calling for Edgeworth in the background.

“I won’t keep you,” Phoenix began. His objective had been achieved; he’d called back like he said he would. Miles Edgeworth obviously hadn’t died due to sleep deprivation. Still, he hesitated.

As he began mentally cycling through things to discuss—“So, today is trash day, huh?”—inspiration struck. “I was just wondering if you were free again this Thursday. I thought maybe we could go back to…that German place.”

When there was no answer, Phoenix assumed they were going through another bout of painful lull in conversation as Edgeworth chewed it over, until he heard the sound of pages turning in the background.

“My trial is early that day,” Edgeworth said cautiously, as though Phoenix was going to come to his senses and yank back the invitation at any second. All traces of irritation were gone. “I’m free.”

“Good,” Phoenix said, more decisively than he felt. “Then I’ll see you outside the restaurant around the same time.”

“I suppose I’ll make the reservation,” Edgeworth said after a second. “You can’t even pronounce the name, even if you could remember it.”

“Yeah, that’d be best.” They said their goodbyes quickly and Phoenix ended the call, feeling like he’d just finished some sort of emotional decathlon.

It was ten minutes later, as he was scrubbing the toilet, before he realized he’d forgotten to actually ask for Edgeworth’s cell phone number.

Phoenix leaned against the wall under an alcove at the train station. As the sea of people mixed and parted in front of him, he glanced over the worn posters across the way—several for a rock concert long over, a few here and there for upcoming TV shows, and one so old all he could make out were blurs of pink, blue, and gold. The newspaper he was carrying crinkled in his grip. He’d bought it on his way from the bus stop to the terminal to read while he waited, but he’d found himself unable to concentrate.

Not even Edgeworth’s face staring up at him from page three had managed to hold his interest—especially when, if he was desperate to learn the details of the prosecutor’s latest and greatest, he could just pry them from the man himself tomorrow. Provided he didn’t cancel again.

If it took a month to create a habit, then by all rights Phoenix should have gotten used to their regular Thursday dinners by this point. But whenever he called to confirm their dates, he still half expected Edgeworth to bow out. Until last time, he never had.

“I don’t think I’m going to be able to make it this Thursday, Wright.” Edgeworth had sounded distracted.

“Then,” Phoenix had found himself asking. “How about Wednesday?”

Edgeworth had paused. “No, I don’t think it’s going to work this week.”

“But we’re still on for next week?”

“Yes, I’ll make sure of it.”

“If it’s too much trouble—”

“It’s fine.”

While conversation still had its strained moments, Phoenix was beginning to find the routine comforting. On Thursdays, he left the office early, caught the bus down to the courthouse, and walked the increasingly familiar couple of blocks down to the restaurant. He almost always got there before Edgeworth—living your life at the mercy of public transport tended to make you early. Waiting in front of the restaurant, he always felt a little jolt, like a burst of static electricity under his skin, when Edgeworth came into view, walking in Phoenix’s direction from the parking lot down the street.

Phoenix blinked as he was wrenched from his thoughts by the train pulling into the station, line of windows blurring as it obscured the advertisements on the other side. A quick glance at his watch told him this should be Maya’s train, so he watched carefully as the doors open and the passengers spilled out.

As usual, Phoenix caught sight of Maya before she did him—her robes always made her stand out in a crowd. Within a few seconds she was engulfed by people trying to board—at times, visible only by her bun bobbing like a cork in water as she darted glances to and fro. Phoenix cupped his hand to his mouth to call out to her, but at that precise moment, her eyes met his and her face lit up with one of those patented Maya grins.

Maya began waving, nearly smacking an older man in the back with the force of her exuberance. Phoenix raised his hand to show he’d caught sight of her and moved to meet her as she struggled past a young family and their luggage. When they met, he found himself pulled into a bone-crushing hug.

“Wow, it’s been forever! Five months really is a long time…” she said as she pulled away.

“Five weeks,” Phoenix corrected. She held out her duffle bag, and he took it automatically. It was heavier than a few sets of clothes would allow. What does she have in here, rocks?

“Pfft,” she scoffed as they made their way inside and towards the double exit doors on the other side of the station lobby. “Five months, five weeks, what’s the difference?”

More than a hundred days, for starters.

“Either way, I think I’m long overdue for a vacation!” She blinked rapidly as they walked out and into direct sunlight, throwing her hand up as a temporary shield.

Yeah, don’t we all wish we could take a vacation every month. “Does office work really count as a vacation?”

“What? That stuff still isn’t done?” She turned to face him, disappointment written clear on her face. “I thought we could pick up a case or two while I’m here!”

She makes it sound like buying a couple of loaves of bread at the store, Phoenix thought. “The person that was here when the paperwork was made should be here when it’s filed. That’s one of my rules.”

Maya paused. When Phoenix turned to her, questioning, she suddenly grinned so widely her eyes closed under the pressure. “You’re a hundred years too early to say anything that cool, Nick!” she exclaimed. “Besides, not being able to get anything done without me around isn’t something to brag about!”

I could have done it. I just didn’t, Phoenix inwardly protested.

The nearest bus stop to the train station was a few blocks away. As they walked, the mid-afternoon sun high in the sky eventually beat Maya’s buoyant pace into something more sedate.

Normally Maya would be bothering him to stop in one of the restaurants sunken in amidst the laundromats and thrift stores that dotted both sides of the streets, even at risk of missing their bus—“I can’t work on an empty stomach, Nick! It’s like expecting a car to run without gas.”—but today she seemed content to go straight to the office. Maybe she had something on the train…

Maya made a move to roll up her sleeves, then seemed to think better of it and pulled them down again. She fiddled with the edge of her right sleeve as they walked, fingers running back and forth along the hem. Upon closer inspection, Phoenix realized that these weren’t the usual spirit medium acolyte’s robes. The skirt was longer, more like a dress, and the sleeves were different, heavier. Phoenix wasn’t an expert on the fashion styles of Kurain, but that outfit looked even warmer than his suit.

“Those robes seem a bit bulky for this weather. You must be fried,” he said.

“Oh!” She dropped the fabric like it had suddenly grown blisteringly hot and laughed nervously. “You noticed, huh?”

“It’s kind of hard not to…”

“To be honest, I wanted to wear my old training robes, but they aren’t really befitting of my status as Master, I guess.” Maya clasped her hands behind her back.

“You guess?” Phoenix looked ahead. The bus stop was in sight.

“You know what I mean. ‘For the good of the village, there’s a certain image you have to maintain!’ That sort of thing. Kind of like you having to wear your badge, right?” She turned to him, smiling once more.

Well, my badge doesn’t look like it weighs ten pounds, but… “I suppose I understand. I don’t think most people know what your robes symbolize, though.”

“Not a lot of people know what your badge means either, but you still wear it!” she teased.

Touché. I can’t really argue with that.

“Ahh, I wish they made badges for spirit mediums!” she suddenly exclaimed, flapping her robed arms for emphasis. “It’d be so much easier! Maybe I’ll bring it up at the next village meeting…”

You’d just forget it or lose it, Phoenix thought as they finally arrived at their destination. Just in time, the bus pulled up a few moments later, filling the air with that familiar cloud of exhaust. The doors whished open. Both Phoenix and Maya got in line to board.

Finding a seat was simple enough—the bus was far from full. Maya wrinkled her nose at the man sitting in front of them, so drenched in sweat he looked as though he had just climbed out of Gourd Lake. Directly across from their seat, a little old lady drew several pots of fake flowers from a battered brown paper bag and arranged them carefully in the space beside her.

“So what’s been going on with you? Aside from letting the paperwork sit around,” Maya turned back to Phoenix, seemingly trying to ignore the ‘joys’ of public transport as best she could.

Phoenix paused. Aside from ‘letting the paperwork sit around’, there really hadn’t been much new in his life. He’d taken a few calls, gone down to the detention center to meet with potential clients, but he hadn’t been comfortable taking their cases. The only other thing that came to mind were his regular dinners with Edgeworth, but something inside him squirmed at thought of taking another round of teasing about ‘dinner dates’. “Nothing really.”

“Nothing? Honestly, you’re so boring, Nick.”

We can’t all live the exciting life of a spirit medium, he thought as the bus pulled away.

The telephone trilled. Through the open door of the other office, Phoenix saw Maya’s head fly up from where she sat at her desk, nearly obscured by the stacks of paperwork in haphazard rows to her left and right. Her expression looked like a cat that had just seen a thick saucer of cream as she reached for the phone. He almost felt guilty as he answered it right before she could pull the receiver off the hook. Almost.

“Wright and Co Law Offices,” he said. The loud voice on the other end instantly launched into their story without so much as a hello. Phoenix cut the man off: “I’m sorry, we’re not currently accepting clients.”

He put the phone back in its cradle, only to meet the glare of his assistant as soon as he lifted his eyes. Maya stood in front of his desk, hands on her hips.

“Why don’t you let me answer the phone? It’s part of my job!” she demanded.

“Because you’d actually take them,” he answered.

Maya’s cheeks puffed out in annoyance, a gesture Phoenix had always found more amusing than threatening. “These people are calling because they want your help!”

Contrary to popular belief, I’m not the only lawyer in the city. He motioned to the paperwork scattered all over his desk and to the piles on hers. “We can spare a day to get the old files transferred and the new ones filed. Aren’t you the one that’s always complaining about the state of my desk?”

Maya opened her mouth to retort, but abruptly shut it when the phone rang again. She hesitated for a split second, then: “I’ll get it!” Her hand darted out before Phoenix could even blink.

“Wright and Co Law Offices! Yes, we are!” she chirped, looking at Phoenix triumphantly. “Uh-huh…uh-huh…” She frowned suddenly. “Um, I don’t think we can be put on reservation if you haven’t actually committed the crime yet.” She turned to Phoenix once again, cupping her hand over the receiver. “What do you think, Nick?”

“Of course not!” Did you really have to ask?!

“Sorry, he says we’re not offering that service to our clients at this time.”

‘At this time’? More like never!

Maya replaced the phone once again, lower lip jutting out as though it was somehow Phoenix’s fault the caller hadn’t been a suitable client.

“All right, that’s enough,” Phoenix sighed with a meaningful glance in the direction of Maya’s desk.

Maya shuffled back across the room. When she reached the doorway she turned back. “I’m going to take a ten minute break!” she announced.

You had one of those ten minutes ago! Phoenix protested, but waved her off. To be honest, he wasn’t enjoying this either—too much reading made his head hurt. But the office hadn’t been updated in years, and the ‘shove things in drawers’ method wasn’t working as well as it used to.

It was about fifteen minutes later when the door to his office flew open under the pressure of Hurricane Maya. He had just picked up his pen to label another file, but it slipped through his fingers as she rushed to his desk, nearly tripping in her haste. What’s going on, an ‘all you can eat’ special at the spaghetti place down the street?

“Nick, we have a client!” she beamed.

“W-what?” Phoenix blinked. He hadn’t heard the phone ring. The television was off. Unless Maya had somehow plucked a person in need out of thin air, he was having trouble understanding where this ‘new client’ had come from.

She reached over and grabbed his arm, scattering the files all over his desk. Phoenix made an aborted attempt to pick them up, but she dragged him away and across the room, practically bouncing in glee at thwarting his plans.

“Come on, he’s waiting!”

Indeed, there was a young man sitting on the couch in the outer office—if man was the right word; he looked about nineteen. He was wearing an unobtrusive set of black sweats and a grey sweatshirt, a small, unreadable logo where a breast pocket would be. There was a hint of a larger one on his back.

The stranger breathed heavily, beads of sweat along his brow and trickling down his chiseled face. He looks like he ran all the way here. When Phoenix came in, he stood up and ran thick fingers through his brown hair as though trying to present himself respectably.

The effect was somewhat marred by the police-issue handcuffs dangling from his wrist.

“I’ll go get you some coffee! Go ahead and tell Nick what you told me.” Maya said, rushing back into the office before either of them could say a word.

Oh boy, Phoenix thought. His new client, noticing where Phoenix’s gaze was directed, grinned sheepishly.

Phoenix gave up. “Why don’t you start at the beginning, Mr…?”

“Oh, uh, Joe. Joe Downing.”

As Joe launched into his tale of woe, Phoenix briefly wondered if he should call Edgeworth to cancel for tomorrow. Let’s wait and see what happens, he quickly decided, turning his full attention back to his client.

Surprisingly, for the way the investigation had played out before they went to trial, everything about the case had unraveled in a matter of hours in court. Phoenix watched as the police led Joe’s coach away through the thinning crowd, the older man slumping in defeat. He didn’t even meet Joe’s eyes as he passed.

Joe stared after him for a moment, then turned back to Phoenix, digging through his pockets like he was looking for spare change. Instead, he withdrew an unevenly folded sheet of paper and held it out.

“Um, thanks…” Phoenix said as he unwrapped the hastily folded note. Inside was a scribbled ‘IOU two tickets to my debut match’. Maya’s eyes lit up as she peered from around his back. She plucked the note from his hands, and it disappeared into one of the folds of her robe. I guess I’ll have to set time aside to attend a boxing match some time in the near future, Phoenix thought, smothering a sigh.

“I’ll never forget what you’ve done for me, Mr. Wright!” Joe exclaimed, scrubbing the corners of his eyes once again.

“Don’t worry about it,” Phoenix said, unsure whether he wanted to flinch or smile. It was slightly disconcerting to watch a guy that had managed to KO Gumshoe and escape a police dragnet trying not to cry. Just as long as you don’t forget about the bill—boxing tickets aren’t the same as a major credit card…

Beside him, Maya suddenly bristled like a cat. When Phoenix turned to see what had raised her ire, he came face to face with their prosecutor for the day, a woman by the name of Beatrix Embery.

Phoenix stepped back quickly to allow her to pass. A good thing too, as the sole of her high heel came down where the toe of his loafers had been a second previous. From the sound it made against the tile, had the hit actually landed, she might have very well punctured his shoe. Someone’s a sore loser.

“Oh, excuse me, ” she said, pushing past the three and stalking towards the stairs. The overpowering scent of her perfume lingered in the air long after she had disappeared down the hallway. Maya’s nose wrinkled, but she said nothing until Joe said his goodbyes and he was escorted away by the officers to pick up his things at the detention center.

“I can’t believe that prosecutor!” Maya erupted once he was out of eyesight. “Who does she think she is? And how exactly are my robes ‘an eyesore’!? Maybe if she had paid more attention to her case and less to what other people were wearing…”

I’ve been against worse. At least this one didn’t have a whip. Phoenix glanced at his watch as Maya continued. Not wanting to chance meeting her again, they walked in the other direction, towards the elevators and past the other three courtrooms on the fourth floor. Good, we got out earlier than I thought we might.

“…worked up an appetite!” Maya finished as they passed courtroom eleven. Nothing was going on there but a tired defense lawyer catching a few winks on the lobby couch.

“Huh?” He turned to face her. Appetite? That was a quick change of topic.

“Come on, Nick! You’ve been staring at your watch all evening. Pay attention,” Maya chastised. “What I said was that being so annoyed, I’ve really worked up an appetite. Don’t forget, you have to make up for five months of missed burgers!”

“Five weeks!” Phoenix corrected. With a start, he remembered Edgeworth’s trial was in courtroom ten this afternoon. He slowed as they grew closer. A crowd hovered around the open doors, but it was hard to tell if the trial had ended, or if it was in recess.

Phoenix looked at Maya. I don’t think Edgeworth will mind if she comes along…maybe I should have asked…

“Anyway, I’m just glad it’s over…” he said.

“Come on, you need take responsibility and act your part! You’re famous now, you know. There’s a reason he came to you and not, oh say, Mr. Grossberg,” Maya responded as they came to a stop in front of the courtroom doors. Phoenix scanned the crowd for pink and ruffles.

Because the Wright and Co Law Offices don’t call the collection agencies? A vision of Joe blinking back tears abruptly surfaced. “No…I’m—“

“Isn’t that right, Mr. Edgeworth?” Maya asked.

For a second, Phoenix thought his heart was going to jump out of his chest and smash into the opposite wall. Yikes, when did he show up?!

“You’re early,” Edgeworth said, eyebrow raised when Phoenix turned around to face him. Phoenix opened his mouth, but the prosecutor turned to Maya. “I should probably know what I’m agreeing to before I say yes.”

“’A man that would rather do paperwork instead of defending people in court isn’t fit to be called a lawyer!’ Something along those lines,” she said.

Edgeworth considered for a moment, head tilting slightly. “While it’s true the lifeblood of any lawyer is standing in the garden of judgment,” he began, eyes boring into Phoenix’s suddenly. “Organization is the key to keeping your office going. Otherwise it’ll collapse in on itself.”

“…so, we’re both wrong?” Maya’s shoulders slumped as she turned her eyes downward.

No, I’m pretty sure all of that was aimed at me.

“I didn’t expect to see you two at the courthouse,” Edgeworth said.

“Oh, we just finished up a case! Now we’re just trying to think of a place to celebrate,” Maya said before Phoenix could interject, face lighting up at the thought of food. “Since it’s also celebrating my vacation, I don’t think burgers are going to cut it, Nick…”

“I see. Congratulations.” Edgeworth said distantly, stiffening slightly like someone had abruptly replaced his spine with a wooden post. He looked over his shoulder at the entrance to the courtroom before turning back to Phoenix. “Have a good time. I’d better be getting back; recess is almost over.” With a professional nod in Maya’s direction he excused himself, moving quickly.

“Um, Edgeworth!” Phoenix suddenly called before he could get too far. Edgeworth paused.

But it was Maya that broke the stalemate. A small smile tugged at the corner of her mouth for a brief moment as she looked at Phoenix’s somewhat stricken expression. “Why don’t you come with us, Mr. Edgeworth? It’s been forever since I’ve been able to talk to you. And you know what they say: three’s a crowd!”

Uh, I don’t think that’s usually used in a positive sense.

“You have noticed I’m in the middle of a trial, right?” Though his eyes darted to a place to the left of Maya’s head, Edgeworth made a passable effort in the face of Fey willpower.

“We’ll wait! No matter how hungry Nick is, we’ll wait.” She turned to Phoenix for confirmation.

Hey, you were the one complaining about food! I’m fine! Phoenix nodded to her, then faced Edgeworth. “Besides…it’s Thursday, right?”

Something loosened in Edgeworth’s shoulders at those words. Imperceptibly, his mouth shifted from a tense, straight line to something softer, more natural. He said, “I suppose, if you really don’t mind waiting…it shouldn’t be much longer.” His eyes flicked towards Phoenix’s briefly before moving to Maya. He gave her a charming smile usually reserved for pet witnesses, but the sudden warmth in his eyes made it genuine. “I know a good German restaurant in the area. Would that be suitable for a case and vacation celebration?”

“Sounds fine to me! Nick’s treat, of course!” Maya beamed proudly.

“Of course,” Edgeworth’s smile turned faintly brittle around the edges when it moved on to Phoenix.

Maybe I should have called him after all, Phoenix thought. It was difficult to get too indignant if paying for tonight was what it took to keep the slender bridge that had been built these past few weeks from fraying. “Why don’t we meet you there?”

“That’s fine.”

The bailiff called for the end of recess. People began moving back towards the courtroom, making Phoenix feel like a rock caught in the middle of a river. Edgeworth nodded curtly one last time then turned to go back inside.

Phoenix and Maya watched him, then continued on their way to the elevators. Once they reached the ground level, they joined the flow of people leaving out the front of the building.

“Is it really that hard to ask someone to dinner?” Maya elbowed Phoenix in the ribs as they walked down the courthouse steps, nearly causing him to lose his balance. “I know you two are rivals and all, but still…”

“Huh?” Phoenix eloquently replied, trying not to scowl as he rubbed his side. Even with the thick robes as padding, Maya’s elbow was sharp.

“You wanted him to come too, right?” she asked as they reached the end of the sidewalk. Her head whipped from side to side, as if she expected this ‘German restaurant’ to spring forth in front of her very eyes. “Well, I guess it doesn’t really matter if you wanted it or not, since he is!”

“It’s not…” Phoenix began and gave up. It’s a little more complicated than that, since I technically had plans with him before I had plans with you… Things had worked out somehow, no point in obsessing over it, Phoenix decided.

“The restaurant is down this way,” he finally said, motioning to the right.

The further they got from the courthouse, the sparser the crowds became. Maya, as usual, attracted some attention because of her robes, but gave no indication of noticing as they walked.

Once or twice, when a shop caught her attention, she stopped and pressed her face against the glass. Sometimes clothing, and, in one instance beyond Phoenix’s ken, a locksmith shop, but it was hardest to pry her away from the small, locally owned toy store with the impressive Whatever-Samurai display in the front window.

When they came across the pizza parlor with the fragrant aroma of garlic and melting cheese —somehow made even stronger by twilight and the chill it brought—wafting from the open door, Phoenix was half afraid she was ready to forget about the dinner date and drag him in for a slice. But she wiped the drool from the corner of her mouth and pressed onwards.

“Mr. Edgeworth seems a little different,” she suddenly said once they were out of sight—and smell—of the parlor.

“He’s been under a lot of pressure lately.” Even under the dim lights of the restaurant, Edgeworth never looked any less tired as the weeks went by. I wonder if he’s been getting enough sleep…

“No, not that. He seems sort of…hmm…” Maya slowed as she pondered. “More relaxed. Happier, I guess. As far as Mr. Edgeworth goes.”

“Really?” Thinking back, there was a difference between their first dinner and their latest, but Phoenix hadn’t noticed a particularly dramatic change in the prosecutor’s overall demeanor.

“Maybe it’s because I haven’t seen him in half a year,” Maya admitted. “Or it could just be my imagination…”

“That’s probably it. People do seem different when you haven’t seen them for a while.”

Maya nodded, then turned to him with a grin. “Except you, Nick. You’re always the same!”

I’m not sure whether that’s a compliment or an insult. Knowing Maya, it was a little bit of both. “We’re here.”

Maya’s eyes widened appreciatively at the restaurant’s warm façade, one hand unconsciously running over the worn, wooden doors as she peered at the posted menu. “Fre…” she began to sound out the name.

Better wait for Edgeworth for that one, Phoenix thought. I still can’t pronounce Schweinsbraten…

“Did you have to wait long?” a voice behind them asked. Maya whirled around, startled. Edgeworth stood, trench coat folded across his arm, looking almost apologetic—for making them wait or for being there in the first place, Phoenix couldn’t tell.

“No,” she said. “We just got here!”

Edgeworth nodded.

Phoenix stole another look at his watch as Edgeworth moved to pull open the door. It had only been twenty minutes since they met in the lobby. He wasn’t kidding when he said it shouldn’t be much longer. Did he really wrap up a trial in less than fifteen minutes? Edgeworth’s profile in the flickering light gave no hint one way or the other.

The first thing Phoenix noticed upon walking in was muffled shouting. Two waiters ran past them in the direction of the bar. Phoenix gave into his urge and peered towards the source of the commotion, but Edgeworth moved directly towards the headwaiter.

It was difficult to tell because of the low lighting, but somehow the headwaiter’s stare seemed more intense than usual. Maybe it was his imagination—the man didn’t seem especially perturbed over the potential bar fight a hundred feet away either—but Phoenix shifted uncomfortably as his gaze moved from Edgeworth, to Maya, and then Phoenix himself.

“Is it possible to add an extra person on to the reservation?” Edgeworth asked in quiet tones as Maya tiptoed towards the bar, bun practically twitching in anticipation over the yelling stemming from that direction. The headwaiter nodded—most of the booths and tables in the restaurant seated four, so it made sense that it wasn't an issue.

“Come on, Maya,” Phoenix called. “We’re going up.” Whatever’s going on in there doesn’t need her adding to it.

‘You never let me have any fun,” Maya’s look said, but she followed the two men up the stairs and to a table in the back. Far away from the noise, Phoenix noticed. Edgeworth too, apparently, since he nodded slightly to the headwaiter in thanks.

Upon sitting down, Maya opened her menu with a flourish, shoulders tensing as she pored over the pages the way a student might a textbook. Phoenix gave his a cursory glance. He’d found he was content to order the Schweinsbraten as his usual; something about the routine was comforting. Edgeworth took a little longer—he ordered something different every time—but set his aside once he found what he wanted.

“Hmm,” Maya hummed. “I can’t decide.”

Edgeworth leaned towards her. “Maybe I can help?”

“Well, I’m really hungry, so I can’t decide if I want the larger helping filet mignon or if I should just go all out and take the porterhouse…”

Edgeworth glanced across the table. Their eyes met. One corner of Edgeworth’s mouth twitched with what looked like the beginnings of a small smile. “If you can’t decide, why don’t you get both?” he deadpanned.

Hey, don’t even joke about that! She really—

“Great idea, Mr. Edgeworth!”

There was, perhaps, a tinge of fondness to Phoenix’s ensuing sigh. “You do know we’re in a German restaurant, right? This is a good chance to expand your boundaries beyond steaks and hamburgers.”

“Hey, it’s on the menu, right? What could be more German than that?” she replied.

The waiter stepped in before Phoenix could verbalize his retort; his line of sight moved from Edgeworth, to Phoenix, to Maya— whom he greeted, like the headwaiter before him, with a raised, slightly questioning eyebrow. Whatever he found odd about the addition, however, he seemed to choose to keep to himself, as he set the serving of bread before his guests.

Phoenix quickly checked the basket. There was the usual lump of sourdough, and next to it—his stomach rumbled slightly at last—a small, dark loaf of rye. Even though they hadn't come here last week, it seemed the staff still remembered the special request he and Edgeworth put in with the bread each time they visited. Maya made a beeline for Edgeworth’s loaf of sourdough, but the prosecutor didn't look particularly bothered.

“And the usual wine today, sir?”

Edgeworth opened his mouth, but Phoenix had already neatly cut in, his eyes on Maya, who looked somewhat too intrigued at the offering of alcohol for his comfort.

“No,” Phoenix said. “We'll pass today.”

“What?” Maya demanded. “Why?”

“You're underage, aren't you?”

Maya spluttered with indignation, hands smacking the table when words failed. Edgeworth just blinked quietly, seemingly unwilling to get in the middle of their discussion one way or the other.

“What do you mean, underage? I'm twenty-one, Nick!”

You'd never be able to tell with the way you keep banging your fists on the table!

“Aren't spiritualists supposed to have some kind of—temperance policy or something? For purity of the soul, or whatever?” Phoenix said.

“Oh, don't be ridiculous, Nick,” Maya chided, calming. “Booze doesn't do anything to taint the soul. It just, er—unhinges it a bit. Which is good, actually! In moderation. Or during a festive occasion, like tonight.”

I think if it were up to you, every night would have some excuse to be a 'festive occasion'.

“I mean, she didn't like to be public about it, but Aunt Morgan really knew how to put a few back, too, whenever she had to relieve stress.” Maya made the quick motion of a tipping bottle.

That's actually... not that surprising, come to think of it.

“So,” the waiter repeated, managing to sound only slightly pained, “The usual wine, then?”

“Wine? No thanks,” Maya scoffed.

Phoenix felt an acute headache building just beneath his temples. “Wait, weren't you just—”

“Come on, Nick, you said it yourself. This is a German restaurant, right? That means beer!”

Edgeworth quirked an eyebrow across the table at Phoenix, before shrugging. It can't be helped.

“Very well, sirs... madam.” The waiter bowed once more, casting a final, questioning glance at Maya before departing to place their order.

Her robes really do attract attention, Phoenix thought, bemused. It must be kind of rough drawing stares everywhere you go over a tradition you don't really have say over...

Edgeworth had a pensive look on his face that told Phoenix he had noticed the same thing, but when their gazes skirted across each others', Phoenix found himself frowning slightly—he couldn't shake the sudden feeling that Edgeworth had seen something he himself had failed to.

Despite his earlier misgivings, the familiar warm buzz in his head as he watched the beer replenishing his third glass was comforting—though it didn't make him complacent enough to not take Maya's glass from her once she started giggling madly after finishing her second, an uncharacteristic flush spreading across her features.

“Okay, Mom,” Maya grumbled, poking her fingers into the long-empty bread basket. She punctuated her futile efforts with a long-suffering sigh.

Twenty-one, Phoenix thought, vaguely amazed. Hard to believe. I guess we really have been together for a long time...

“I was surprised to see you at trial today,” Edgeworth remarked. His hand was remarkably steady as he tipped the bottle against the edge of Phoenix's cup, careful not to spill. “It's not like you to pick up cases so quickly in succession.”

I'm not sure how to take that. “Well, it wasn’t exactly something I had planned…”

“Is it ever?” Before Phoenix could reply in somewhat intoxicated indignation, he spoke on. “You won, I presume.”

“Of course he won!” Maya said. “It was a slam-dunk victory! Even if Detective Gumshoe had a grudge against our client for giving him a black eye during arrest...”

Phoenix remembered keenly, with an internal wince, the decisive testimony Gumshoe had provided to ascertain that the suspect was, indeed, a boxer.

“And yours, Edgeworth?” In so much that I even have to ask.

Edgeworth had noticed Maya struggling with the bread; with a quick glance for permission, he slid her plate towards himself to cut into it for her. “It went smoothly, as far as trials go. Ema's gained a considerable amount of confidence since her first testimony last month—” –the corners of his mouth quirked, just for an instant—“to the point that I've been hearing a lot of complaints lately about it from the forensics department.”

“She was testifying at your trial?”

“Mm.”

“Mmmph.” Maya's jaw worked furiously as she hastily swallowed the piece of bread she had set about inhaling as soon as Edgeworth had handed it back to her. “Wait a second, Nick. Who's Ema? Someone you know?”

Edgeworth blinked; his gaze shifted from his water onto Phoenix. She doesn't know?

It just—never came up, Phoenix thought back, defensively. Maya’s question had caught him off guard, too; but for some reason it had never really occurred to him to sit down with her and reminisce over that one time he ended up proving the police chief guilty of multiple homicides. Things were pretty hectic right from the get-go when I met Maya again in Kurain, after all...

Edgeworth sighed and shook his head.

“Is this some big secret?” Maya asked, watching Edgeworth and then turning her eyes back to Phoenix.

“No, not really,” Phoenix answered. “I probably should have told you sooner, but there never seemed to be a good time.” I was so upset with Edgeworth back then I guess part of me was probably avoiding talking about it at all.

“Some time back, there was a scandal involving the chief of police being at the center of a murder conspiracy. Wright and I were involved—as was a forensics technician currently working under me, named Ema Skye. Wright defended her older sister in that case,” Edgeworth explained.

“Are you serious? When was this?”

Phoenix spoke up this time. “It was a case a couple of months after the one with von Karma wrapped up.”

“Oh, so I was in Kurain,” Maya frowned; her eyes darted quickly over to Edgeworth, whose expression hadn't changed. “By von Karma you mean—”

“The senior, yeah.” Phoenix moved on. Actually, now that I think about it… “I'm surprised you didn't hear about it, Maya. It was all over the papers and television.”

“So you defended her older sister?” Maya asked, with a pensive frown. “Hmm...no, I didn’t see a thing about it. But I was so busy training back then, I wasn’t really paying attention to the news.” She paused. “Now I wonder what other deep, dark things you’ve been hiding from me, Nick!”

Phoenix wasn't quite able to keep the scowl of irritation from passing on his face; he distracted himself with gnawing on another piece of bread.

That case was what drove Edgeworth to his breaking point, too. Even now his stomach twisted slightly at the memory of the phone call, and the way all feeling had drained from his fingers at the news of the empty desk and the note left upon it—but there was no reason to bring that up now.

After all, he came back. That's what matters.

“That must have been really hard on everyone at the force,” Maya said, somewhat distractedly, like she was trying to coax a recalcitrant memory out of hiding.

“Yes, it was quite a blow,” Edgeworth acknowledged. “I would even say that the office has never quite recovered from it since then.”

Maya’s finger rested lightly against her cheek, bread cold and forgotten on her plate as she pondered. “You know... the name ‘Skye’ sounds really familiar.”

“Ema’s sister was Chief Prosecutor at the time,” Edgeworth offered. “Perhaps you knew the name because of that?”

“No, that’s not it,” Maya said, brows creasing. “I don’t really pay attention to things like that. Sis tried explaining the whole hierarchy thing to me, but it went in one ear and out the other.”

“Did Mia mention her?” Phoenix asked. “Lana said they knew one another from school.”

“That’s right!” The breadbasket nearly flew off the table as Maya’s hands smacked against the surface. “Sis mentioned there was this really, really good lawyer in one of her classes and they ended up talking a lot. Her name was Lana! She was her first friend Sis made after she left the village to become a lawyer.”

Edgeworth looked intrigued. “So Lana Skye and Mia Fey knew one another? I had no idea. Usually you don’t see those sorts of friendships in our different legal circles.”

“They were pretty close,” Maya said, finger tapping her cheek as her eyes once more drifted towards the ceiling. “Sis talked about her all the time. Said she was looking forward to facing her in court. Besides, it can’t be that strange for a prosecutor and defense attorney to be close friends!” She punctuated her last line with a meaningful stare at her two dinner companions.

Phoenix and Edgeworth shared a glance. She’s got you there, Edgeworth.

“What’s she up to now?” Maya asked.

“Well…” Phoenix began.

“She’s currently a defense attorney,” Edgeworth finished.

“So, she’s no longer a prosecutor?”

“No, she isn’t.” Edgeworth seemed to want to leave it at that, so Phoenix didn’t interject with exactly why Lana had switched occupations. “The Prosecutor’s Office is all the worse for it. Especially since the past few years, it seems like there's been an outcrop of skilled defense attorneys appearing on the scene.”

“So having Lana switch…” Phoenix said.

“Yes, it’s another blow. But probably what’s best for her—her days at our office were finished.” The corners of his mouth tugged slightly upwards. “If I didn't know better, I might say you served as an inspiration.”

That seemed difficult to Phoenix to fathom.

“I'd love to talk to Lana sometime,” Maya said, still lost amidst this newly discovered tie to her older sister. “If she's a defense attorney now, we should invite her over the office one of these days, Nick! I bet she could give you some pointers about how to act like a professional... if Sis looked up to her that much...”

Phoenix looked at her. “I wouldn't mind,” he said. Maya returned his look, suddenly flustered, and shook her head quickly.

“But anyway, Mr. Edgeworth, that must be pretty discouraging,” She propped a thoughtful hand against the underside of her chin. “Having to deal with tough opponents on top of everything else!”

Edgeworth shook his head. “No. I'm grateful for it—the judicial system requires competent representation on both sides to function properly. It seems long overdue to me, actually—I just wish it didn't come alongside such deterioration at the Prosecutor's Office.”

“Like a see-saw,” Maya remarked. “It's like you can't have good prosecutors and good defense attorneys at the same time.”

“Something like that, unfortunately,” Edgeworth said.

“I guess it also depends on how you define ‘good’, huh? Just because you win a lot doesn’t mean you’re a ‘good lawyer’,” Maya said.

Phoenix winced slightly. What she said was true and no one knew it better than Edgeworth. But those days are long gone. “Maya—” he began, glancing at Edgeworth. I know she doesn’t mean it how it sounded, but

“Yes, you’re right,” Edgeworth interrupted, meeting Phoenix’s gaze head on as he spoke. “But even if that’s the case, the onus is still on the other party to cut through the lies and find the truth. You can’t use the opponent’s failings as an excuse.”

The silent ‘I learned that from you’ hung suspended between them.

“Hmm, in that case,” Maya began, smiling widely. “Nick, maybe you should switch to prosecution and help Mr. Edgeworth out!”

The sound of someone clearing their throat broke into the conversation; the waiter had returned, food in hand. Maya's eyes sparkled lustfully as her eyes roved over her meat-heavy platter... before sliding to the right to gaze at Phoenix's dish with equal fervor.

“Maya,” Phoenix said.

“What?” she demanded. “I was just looking!

We'll see how long that lasts.

Even as he sighed in familiar resignation, in the corner of his eye, Phoenix saw that Edgeworth was smiling.

“Phew, I'm stuffed!” Maya announced, stretching as the doors to the restaurant swung to a close behind her. “That restaurant sure gives you a lot of bang for your buck. It's been a while since I've wondered if I'd have to ask for a box when eating out...”

You're only so full because you ate most of my meal, too!

If Maya picked up on his thoughts, she gave no indication of it. “I'm exhausted. Long day today...” She abruptly turned to Edgeworth. “Say, did you park around here?”

“Yes. There’s a lot up the street,” Edgeworth said, motioning straight ahead.

“Good, then we can walk you to your car!” she announced, swinging her arms and the bag of leftovers Edgeworth had bestowed upon her. “I’ve always wondered what it looks like.” Phoenix could practically see the images of pink and lace seat cushions dancing in her head.

“Don’t let her fool you, Edgeworth. She just wants a ride home,” Phoenix said with the air of a put-upon older brother translating for the masses.

“You have no sense of tact!” Maya complained, once again doing a frightfully good impression of a blowfish, but she didn’t deny his accusation.

I’m not the one trying to bum rides off people! Nevertheless, the three began walking down the street towards the location Edgeworth had pointed out, Maya running ahead and motioning for the other two ‘old farts’ to hurry up when their pace was too slow for her liking.

“I don’t mind giving you two a ride.” Edgeworth’s voice was quiet beside Phoenix, but the faint undertone of warmth seemed to linger in the night air. “You’ll have to give me directions, though.”

“Oh, um, no problem!” Phoenix said, shaking out of his stupor as they caught up with Maya at the entrance.

Maya called shotgun the instant the car came into view—as red and sleek as Phoenix remembered it years ago when Ema had enthusiastically called it gaudy before smearing its fresh paint job with her fingerprints in the name of scientific investigation.

Phoenix slid into the back seat, and Maya gave a small ‘Ooo’ of appreciation when she felt the leather seats against her skin and noticed the paneled dashboard. Phoenix hurriedly reached for his seatbelt when Edgeworth turned the keys to start the engine.

“Why can’t you have a car this nice, Nick?” Maya said as Edgeworth maneuvered the car out of the lot, engine purring like a happy tiger under the hood.

There’s no point in having a car if you can’t drive it.

“Even if you had your license, you still wouldn’t have a car like this!” Maya responded to his wordless retort in that irritating way people sometimes did. “Maybe you really should switch to prosecution.”

“We’re having enough problems with organization as it is without Wright adding to it,” Edgeworth said dryly.

Nice way to treat the guy who sprang for your meal! Phoenix folded his arms and focused his attention to the streets outside. It was hard not to smile at the two chuckles—one low and faint, the other high and sweet—from the front seat at his pouting act.

As the sight of the city rushed pass them through the windows, Maya pressed her fingers and nose against the window.

“Oooo,” she marveled again.

You'd think she was on an amusement park ride or something.

Edgeworth's eyes flicked from the road before him, quickly, onto Phoenix, and then adjacent to Maya.

“I imagine there aren't a lot of automobiles kept in Kurain.”

“Yep, that’s right,” Maya answered, swiveling her head back to face him. “Everyone there pretty much relies on the train to get anywhere that's not in walking distance.”

“Don't tell me this is your first time in a car?” Phoenix asked in disbelief.

“Of course not, Nick!” Maya huffed, topknot bouncing with indignation just in view beyond the seat of the car. “But it has been a while. I think the last time I actually rode in a car was...” Maya's brow furrowed. “Wow, has it really been that long? Almost six years ago, when I was visiting Sis in her new place. I guess you could count the times I’ve ridden in taxis or a police car, but they weren’t like this.”

“But you're on the bus and the train all the time. I don't really see the—”

“It's totally different, Nick. You just don't get it. You need to appreciate the distinction between the finer details in life.”

So says the girl who won't stop harassing me for pointing out the distinction between a ladder and a stepladder!

Edgeworth's head turned slightly; though only his profile was visible, Phoenix thought he could see the trace of another smile against his mouth, illuminated by the sunset. The fading light caught his hair at just the right angle as the glow played across the contours of his face, softening his features. It brought to mind what Maya had said earlier, about Edgeworth seeming happier. Maybe it wasn’t as far-fetched as he’d thought.

He hadn't noticed they had pulled up to the parking lot of the apartment complex until he registered Maya's voice.

“Ahhh,” she said. “My home away from my home away from home!” She stretched, one hand against the back of her elbow, as soon as she stepped out of the car.

“The guest room has felt so empty without you,” Phoenix remarked, deadpan. He followed her out into the cool evening air. It's later than I thought...

“I bet,” she chirped back, through her yawn. “Why don't you come in with us, Mr. Edgeworth?”

Edgeworth blinked; his hand was already poised back on the keys to re-start the ignition. “No,” he said quickly. “It's all right. I have work to get done, anyway.”

“Then—”

Next Thursday died on Phoenix’s lips as Maya jumped forward insistently.

“Just for a second,” she said. “Who knows when we'll get to see you next? You're so busy all the time.” A mischievous smile lit her features. “Besides, I've been dying to show my limited collection edition of the Steel Samurai DVD set to someone. Someone who understands.” She cast a dark look at Phoenix.

Edgeworth chewed his lip. “Well...”

“It has all this neat commentary from the directors and everything, and a really cool extras reel of the history of the franchise, and an in-depth look at how they do the special effects, and--”

The sound of the engine cut off abruptly. “All right, then.”

That's all it took!?

The prosecutor stepped out of the car, snapping the lock in place with a flick of his thumb.

Phoenix had meant to tidy the place up a little about three days ago. He remembered the proceedings of that evening quite clearly; the thought had struck him at around two o'clock, when the sound of an empty beer can crunching under his foot nearly made him jump out of his skin; he had eyed the closet where the aged broom hung neglected, decided he would attend to it later, and went on to spend the rest of the night watching television.

His first instinct was to freeze in the doorway, to block Edgeworth from entering—a second later it registered that he was being ridiculous, but his feet still seemed unnaturally heavy as he moved out of the way.

“Sorry,” he muttered, quickly.

Edgeworth's eyes darted across the scene—the dirty clothes strewn across the couch, the flickering television he hadn't bothered to turn off before leaving for the office, and the remnants of last week's dinner still accumulating on the coffee table. His expression remained neutral, and somehow this made Phoenix more uncomfortable than he thought he would have been if Edgeworth had announced his distaste outright.

“You want something to drink?” he offered, face still somewhat hot.

“Aw, don't bother,” Maya teased, then, turning to Edgeworth: “He doesn't keep anything around this place besides diet soda. Trust me.”

“I do so,” Phoenix objected. “I'll go get something. Hold on.”

Having said that, when he moved into the kitchen, he wasn't sure if he actually had sufficient evidence to back up that statement. Stooping next to the mini-fridge, his mind raced, trying to think back to the last time it hadn't been soda he'd loaded up in here. He didn't care to think of the vicious teasing he'd be subjected with if he dared return to the living room with a glass of tap water, either.

Pushing aside the styrofoam-encased remnants of two weeks ago—I still haven't thrown that stuff out?—he caught sight of a few cans of beer shoved into the back corner, and reached forward to pry them from their hiding spot. It's something, I guess.

When he made his way back into the living room, Edgeworth was standing by himself at the doorway. Phoenix could only assume Maya had run off to get her DVD set—or action figures—or trading cards—or whatever it was she had been frothing about this time. There was always something.

“Catch,” he called out.

Edgeworth caught the can deftly in one hand; he turned it over and inspected the label with the air of a scientist evaluating its latest dissection victim in grim resignation.

“There's water, too,” Phoenix offered, lamely, after a long moment.

“Never mind,” Edgeworth said, and popped the tab.

“You can sit down,” Phoenix said. Edgeworth only hesitated for a second before he obliged, taking his place on the least cluttered part of the couch. “How is it?”

“It's absolutely foul,” Edgeworth said flatly, and took another drink. Phoenix opened his own can, settling in next to him, before raising it to his lips. Ugh. I guess I can't really blame him for that assessment.

The familiar sound of clomping footsteps alerted Phoenix to his assistant's return without having to look up.

“Ta-dah!” Maya announced, swinging a plastic-wrapped box above her head, as though hoisting a trophy. “Sorry to keep you waiting, Mr. Edgeworth! Here it is!” Edgeworth nearly spilled beer over himself with the force that Maya thrust it into his arms, but he didn't comment on it.

“Pristine condition,” he noted.

“Naturally!” Maya beamed. “This thing is worth its weight in gold. I'm really surprised you don't have it yourself, with all the money you make.”

“I just haven't had the time lately.”

“I'll let you borrow my usable one!”

Phoenix raised his head in disbelief. “What do you mean, usable!?”

“Duh, Nick.” Maya made a chiding clicking sound in the back of her throat at his sad ignorance. “The one I unwrapped to actually watch.”

Wait, you bought two copies just so you could keep one in its wrapping!?

Phoenix sighed, reclining back on the couch. I will never understand.

“If you don't mind,” Edgeworth murmured, still turning the box over to admire its trappings, “I would like that.”

“It's a deal, then.”

Maya gave a thumbs up that—to Phoenix's vague horror—reminded him rather of Larry, before stretching again and rubbing her eyes, reaching for one of the cans. Phoenix whisked them out from under her fingertips.

“Oh, come on,” Maya complained, echoing her displeasure from the restaurant.

“I thought you said you were tired?” Phoenix countered.

“I think I can put myself to bed, Nick!” she huffed. Phoenix didn’t mention the more annoyed she got, the more he was reminded of their very first year together. Sometimes he wondered if she would be forever suspended in time for him, seventeen—subtract ten for mental age?—until the day she died.

Something must have shown on his face, because she suddenly rolled her eyes and laughed. “You really are impossible,” she said, moving to the kitchen to put her coveted leftovers away in Phoenix’s fridge, where they would probably be devoured as a midnight snack when one of her stomachs demanded nourishment.

“Okay, okay,” she said once she was done, turning back to the two men with a flourish. “I am tired. I'll see you tomorrow. Don't make yourself a stranger, Mr. Edgeworth! And don't give yourself liver poisoning, Nick.”

“I'll do my best.” Phoenix remarked, finally setting the case back atop the table.

Maya tossed her head, putting a hand on her hip even as she grinned affectionately. “I always have to be worrying about you, don't I?”

Look who's talking! Phoenix came very close to replying, but Maya had already spun on her heels and disappeared beyond the door of the guest room, long hair and robes trailing after her. It struck Phoenix that it must be a relief to finally be able to peel the heavy things off.

“Some things never change,” Phoenix said.

“I'm not so sure,” Edgeworth said. “Those new robes she was wearing... they're a mark of her rank in the village now, aren't they?”

Pretty astute. “Yeah, that's what she said when I asked.”

“They look as though they carry a lot of weight.”

“Well, yeah,” Phoenix agreed, puzzled, “but that's not exactly what I meant.”

Edgeworth didn't lift his gaze from his can as he swirled its contents before him. “Mmm.”

Why do I feel like I just missed something?

“Before I forget,” Edgeworth suddenly said, getting up to retrieve his jacket from where it lay across the chair. He reached inside an inner pocket, frowning as his fingers groped for something. A moment later, he pulled out a familiar videocassette. “Here, I’ve been meaning to return this to you.”

Alcohol made Phoenix less prudent than he might have been otherwise. “Did you get a chance to watch it?” he asked, trying not to sound too eager and failing.

“Yes, it was…” Edgeworth paused as he settled back down on the couch next to Phoenix. He titled his head slightly as he thought.

You don’t have to tell me the technical flaws, Phoenix thought. He hadn’t watched the tape before passing it along, but he remembered the shaky, out-of-focus camerawork, and the off screen comments of the friend who had taped it well enough. What was I thinking when I gave it to him last time? He said he didn’t want to watch it…

“It was interesting,” Edgeworth finally said.

That bad, huh?

“It looked like you were having fun up on stage,” Edgeworth continued. “And I suppose you weren’t terrible, for an extra. The acting was also impressive—better than I thought a college production would be.”

“Ivy University has a good drama department. That’s why I decided to go there,” Phoenix said, picking up his half-empty beer and taking a quick swig before turning back to the prosecutor. “You probably didn’t have a lot of time to see stuff like this at your school, huh?” If he passed the bar at twenty, all he did was study, I imagine.

“That would be true, in a sense.” Edgeworth shifted like the couch had grown thick, uncomfortable lumps beneath him. “I didn’t go to college.”

Phoenix’s beer nearly slipped out of his lax fingers; he had to fumble to keep it from spilling. Did he just…did I mishear him? He set his can down on the coffee table before turning his full attention back to Edgeworth and tentatively asking, “Is that even possible? I mean, the bar exam…?”

“Our state is one of the few that allows you to study under a lawyer as an apprentice in lieu of formal schooling,” Edgeworth explained stiffly. “And, well, Manfred von Karma was an institution in and of himself. With the training he gave, I probably could have passed even earlier than I did.”

The idea of Edgeworth not attending college was almost unfathomable—the man spoke at least five languages, was considered to be one of the top prosecutors in the nation, if not the world. And Phoenix had a degree, but he didn’t?

Edgeworth’s expression soured; he folded his arms and began tapping his finger distractedly. “I assure you, I didn’t lack for education, Wright. I had a whole battery of private tutors to instruct me in what von Karma wasn’t interested in teaching.”

“No,” Phoenix shook his head. “I didn’t mean…” Edgeworth was obviously well educated; even without actually attending college it was hard to imagine he didn’t get the best the von Karma money could buy.

Still, it must have been…lonely. Phoenix’s memories of college were along the lines of late night cram sessions, blowing off class to hang out with a couple of his friends, and, in one instance, throwing up in the dorm hallway after downing too many shots of tequila. Stacks of musty law books gathered from the corners of the library, thick with the scent of old glue and dust. ‘Dollie’s’ hand warm in his as they walked across campus after a late evening stroll…

I wouldn’t give up any of them…well, except the dorm hallway one. Maybe.

“What was it like?” he found himself asking, sneaking a glance out of the corner of his eye to gauge Edgeworth’s mood. To his surprise, instead of tensing up, the prosecutor’s gaze grew pensive.

“Franziska and I studied together,” he said. “Some of the books were too heavy for her when she was young, so she used to set them on the floor and hunch over them. She was terrible at spelling when she first started typing, so I used to go over her case studies before she turned them in. She accused me of just wanting to cheat off her, of course…” he trailed off, reaching for his own beer and taking a sip. “It was difficult. Manfred von Karma was…” His throat seemed to close in on itself. “But, I learned a lot,” he managed.

It was the most Edgeworth had ever said about that period of his life. He has his own memories. While Phoenix wasn’t sure he’d be able to look back as fondly over a decade spent studying with Franziska von Karma, he supposed they were as important to Edgeworth as Phoenix’s own college recollections were to him.

“Ivy University,” the prosecutor suddenly said, switching the subject. “That's fairly prestigious.”

“Yeah,” Phoenix said, still distracted. “It was a miracle I made it in, really.”

“I don't doubt it.”

Thanks a lot, Phoenix thought, but he was beyond the point of taking offense.

“But...” Edgeworth paused. “You have a habit of pulling off miracles.”

Phoenix shifted in his seat, putting back another swallow of beer. “It's not really... it's like you said. It's how the court's supposed to work, isn't it? Bringing out the truth...”

“That's not what I meant.”

Edgeworth turned towards him, abruptly, and there was something heavy in his expression—not the same curdling self-hatred or bitterness that Phoenix could still remember, reflected in his eyes through the haze of mist above Gourd Lake.

It was like looking at a different person. It was like flipping through a mental photo album; the different glimpses he had captured of Edgeworth through their lives—the determined nine-year-old, unable to keep still at any sign of perceived injustice; the 'demon prosecutor' captured in the newspaper with a shadow always lurking just behind the carefully sculpted air of confidence—and the wretched figure Phoenix remembered facing across the courtroom lobby and later through the glass of the detention center.

The light in his eyes was different now, focused and determined—trained on the future rather than the past.

No, that's not right.

There was a DVD collection of a children's show cradled next to him, a can of cheap beer in his right hand, cravat loose and the impression of something like a smile around his eyes if not necessarily his mouth. It dawned on Phoenix.

He's right here.

At some point, the space between them on the couch had vanished. The length of Edgeworth’s arm was comfortably warm against his—it brought to mind rainy afternoons from their childhood, huddled together over the latest issue of some comic book on Phoenix’s bed. Maybe it was the beer that was peeling back the years between them. It was a nice thought, especially if it lasted.

Maya was right, he thought suddenly. He's come a long way.

“You're smiling.”

“It's just been a long time,” Phoenix said.

“A long time,” Edgeworth echoed.

As Phoenix reached for his beer on the coffee table, Edgeworth leaned forward at the same time. Something stopped Phoenix from pulling back.

An inch closer and we’d be—

Edgeworth leaned forward.

Phoenix closed his eyes. Every nerve ending in his body seemed to relocate to his lips. He felt, rather than heard, the soft, low sound Edgeworth made in the back of his throat as they shifted position slightly. When Edgeworth began to pull away, Phoenix instinctually followed, pressing insistently until Edgeworth’s mouth parted again.

Edgeworth moved, couch squeaking. Phoenix didn’t realize what Edgeworth had planned until he felt the prosecutor’s fingers in a clumsy caress along his arm. The contact was a splash of ice water.

Instantly sober, Phoenix wrenched away. Even with the loss of contact they still seemed too close, the other man too near. He stumbled up and away from the couch, nearly tripping over the coffee table in his haste. Distantly, he heard the sound of beer cans overturning, contents spilling. Phoenix’s breath came in short, shuddering pants—because I was—as his wide eyes darted around the room, trying to settle on something neutral.

Something that wasn’t Edgeworth.

But everything seemed too heavy, the edges somehow sharp and painful. He blinked rapidly before inexorably turning back to face the prosecutor. Edgeworth squirmed underneath Phoenix’s wide stare, but, for once, didn’t turn away. Instead, he met it head on. Phoenix recognized it as the look the prosecutor adopted when he was trying to tell Phoenix something without putting it into words. ( ‘All we have is the truth’. ‘I’m going after her.’ ‘I’m sorry.’ ‘Good job.’ ‘I knew you could do it.’ ‘I learned that from you.’ )

Phoenix felt his nails bite into his palms.

I have no idea what he’s trying to say.

He watched that something twist in his friend’s eyes, before it finally faded away.

After what seemed like hours of the only sound in the room the ticking of the kitchen clock and steady dripping of beer on to the carpet, Edgeworth broke eye contact. “I think I should probably go,” he said, getting up.

“Yeah. That’d be best.” The words were too loud, like they were coming from somewhere else besides Phoenix’s mouth. Anything else he wanted to say congealed in his throat—a thick, unmovable lump.

Edgeworth jerked—like Phoenix’s words had burned him—but continued moving towards the door, stopping only to retrieve his shoes. Phoenix heard, rather than saw, the front door open and then, a few seconds later, shut.

It was only then Phoenix was able to move.

As he sank back down on to the couch, some distant part of him wondered how he could feel so hollow and yet so heavy at the same time.

Last edited by musouka on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Re: [UPDATED! 11/02] Struggling Against GravityTopic%20Title

Shaaaaaaak!

Wow, another awesome chapter! You two are really good. And the characterizations are as good as ever, I especially liked Maya's.

Just another fangirl...

Location: A land of fires, mudslides, and the occasional earthquake

Y'know, it dawned on me last night that I'm totally okay with PW slash, which is unusual for me. I still prefer the straight pairings, but I guess my biggest beef with slash in most fandoms ("OMG IT CONTRADICTS THE CANON!!!!111shift+one!" and "It's almost entirely badly written gay smut written by teenage girls who don't now WTF they're talking about.") .... just aren't present in this fandom, and without those reasons, I've got no good excuse for passing over a story just because it happens to have a same sex pairing.

And frankly, I'm glad I've given some of the slash pairing fics a shot. Stories like this one that are well-written, well-characterized, and most of all believable are worth reading. I was thrilled to login today and see that you updated this story after something like a month since I first looked at it. I really adore the way you're pacing the progression from the intensely awkward situation of that first dinner to the slightly less (and yet at the same time MORE) awkward situations that arise from the Thursday night dinners becoming a routine part of the schedule.

I also like that you aren't neglecting Maya in favor of focusing almost exclusively on the pairing. She's an integral part of Phoenix's life at the least, and she's had an impact on Edgeworth as well; and it pleases me to no end that you aren't just completely pushing her out of the picture. Character depth and development is for the win, and you seem to be developing all the characters involved in a way that simply works.

Long-windedness aside, I'm looking forward to the next chapter! :edgy:
"Violence is the last resort of the intelligent, and the first resort of the incompetant." -FFA
Your awesome. :OTopic%20Title

"Battle is my forte!"

Wow. That was amazing. Really. There were so many moments that made me laugh and I was a little worried when Maya bounced in, but you did her excellently. All the little random things she says in the games- you did them extremely well! Gah... I have so many moments I like in here... Let's start with pretty much any conversation with Maya in it. Especially the first phone call, andwhen she 'invites' Edgeworth along for dinner and when she's in the bar, looking at the bar fight waiting to happen and being Maya. [Heh, the waiters are all like: WTF crazy cosplayer girl~?] That was a good description, when Phoenix thinks to himself that most things Maya says are part insult and part compliment- to him at least.

I like alot of the little things in your writing, like how well you write Phoenix's smart internal monologue and such. The paragraph about how looking at Edgeworth was like flipping through a photo album was a good description too. And the description of how Edgeworth aqquires a certain look when he's trying to commmunicate without words. That was cool. There were a lot of things in here that made me happy to read. [does that make sense? maybe not...] Like, they were just so great. You write these characters very naturally, and the whole thing is very flowy and FUN to read.

Butttttt...now I hate you cause you ended it there. D: RUN AFTER HIM PHOENIX! I'm glad you finally updated! You guys are fantabulous. Seriously. Hope to read a new one again soon~!

Is he doing JAZZ HANDS at the camera!?

Waaaai~ I love this story. The romantic tension and awkwardness between the two is delicious, for lack of a better word. X3 I agree with Sakuro, you do write the characters very naturally, and make it very believeable. And I love the fact that this isn't cliched like so much fanfiction romance...I've seen too much Phoenix/Edgeworth stuff that tries to force them into stereotypical roles. It just doesn't work, and they end up being horribly out-of character.

I loved the buildup...and the end seemed very abrupt, but right. It's hard to tell where this is going, but I can assume this incident is going to up the awkward levels between them, especially since they were both a little tipsy. And I'm not sure if it was your intention, but I think it's cute, how confused and/or oblivious Phoenix seems. Like the description of Edgeworth's face in the sunset...I get the impression he's looking at him in 'that' way, but he doesn't quite realise it. Bless his heart. <3
~Avatar by Sakuro & Endless Blasphemy~NEW Banner by jesidres~
Image Project Kallisti - PW SUPERHERO AU - UPDATED 1/11Image

俺の黄金の魔女

Elriel wrote:
Wow, another awesome chapter! You two are really good. And the characterizations are as good as ever, I especially liked Maya's.

Thank you! I guess Maya is the woman of the hour in this chapter. <3

Firefury Amahira wrote:
I also like that you aren't neglecting Maya in favor of focusing almost exclusively on the pairing. She's an integral part of Phoenix's life at the least, and she's had an impact on Edgeworth as well; and it pleases me to no end that you aren't just completely pushing her out of the picture.

If you're going to write a fic with this sort of scope from Phoenix's perspective, I don't think it's possible not to include Maya, IMO. Even if you use Master of Kurain as an excuse, she's still going to be the person Phoenix spends the most time with. Aside from that, Maya is insanely fun to write. We have plans for Maya, oh yes we do. Mwahahahahaha.

Sakuro wrote:
I'm glad you finally updated! You guys are fantabulous. Seriously. Hope to read a new one again soon~!

Thank you so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to review like this. The next chapter should (hopefully) be out sooner, since I don't think it'll top 35 pages like this one did. >_<

ExImplode07 wrote:
And I'm not sure if it was your intention, but I think it's cute, how confused and/or oblivious Phoenix seems. Like the description of Edgeworth's face in the sunset...I get the impression he's looking at him in 'that' way, but he doesn't quite realise it. Bless his heart. <3

That was very much our intention. I'm glad you picked up on it--shows we did our job! The problem with Phoenix is, as Raelle and I like to joke, "we're in his head--he's not checking out Edgeworth's ass". Meaning, in the beginning stages of the relationship, I think the attraction has to come across as subliminal--to the point where even Phoenix doesn't know it's there.

I'm shaking now and I haven't read it yet. I am just so excited. Will read now. Brb.

俺の黄金の魔女

Ethed wrote:
I'm shaking now and I haven't read it yet. I am just so excited. Will read now. Brb.

Hahaha, wow. Thank you. See you in a few HOURS or so. :godot:

Yeah, I'm totally watching you.

Still a stunning piece of beauty, with complexities and detail the likes of which I rarely imagine. Someday I hope to write fictions or novels as brilliant as this, a piece of art and not just ritualized construction. I bow to you.
And don't you n00bs forget it! (comic courtesy of Brevity.)

Fey willpower, Whatever-Samurai. You're KILLING me. :acro:

The descriptions got to me. They really did. Worn posters across the way—several for a rock concert long over, one of a thousand details in this, that's beautiful and terrifyingly human. Rolling the coiled cord between his fingers. --Phoenix scanned the crowd for pink and ruffles.--I refuse to believe two people, merely fans themselves, wrote this - it's all the atmosphere of the games and more that will always be too much for words to capture, and you go ahead and create something as charming, eloquent and stunning as this. The descriptions, holy shit. They're not just impressions someone gathers and places in the story randomly, they're a beautiful symbiosis with the characters' natural charme, they create all the romantic tension between them. You guys add a whole new twist to Maya, too, something you convince me that has always been inside her, but that she just never expressed.

As usual, Phoenix caught sight of Maya before she did him—her robes always made her stand out in a crowd. Within a few seconds she was engulfed by people trying to board—at times, visible only by her bun bobbing like a cork in water as she darted glances to and fro. Phoenix cupped his hand to his mouth to call out to her, but at that precise moment, her eyes met his and her face lit up with one of those patented Maya grins.

There's so much fluency just in that paragraph. And Phoenix' sarcacstic inner monologue just goes so well with it I'm giggling like Pearls force-fed Pretty Woman and laughing out loud like a pirate on crack. She suddenly grinned so widely her eyes closed under the pressure made me try it till my cheeks hurt and my sight blurred. Edgeworth leaned towards her. “Maybe I can help?” HOHOHO. Hohohohoho. Ohoho. You guys. Phoenix could practically see the images of pink and lace seat cushions dancing in her head. I can't even quote it all. I'm so excited I want a fast forward button to see how it all ends, and at the same time, I know I'd never push it. Tasting all the details of this storytelling is much more attractive. Seemingly luring Edgeworth in with Steel Samurai. Hohohoho. The intimidating sight of his office. How can all this just come together so well?

When Maya returned to the office (the 5 weeks-5 months thing is sheer gold!), I realised how much many people's image of Phoenix really is distorted. I got a better insight right then and there. Of course, we as fans know little about him.. if he reads the newspaper in the morning, what he does before going to bed, how he spends free afternoons, but the sad assumption knowing this stands: He doesn't do a lot of stuff, he's not even an office job guy. Most of the action in his life comes from his job. And who are we dealing with on the other side? Edgeworth, a scarred young man who needs structure in his life, appreciates certain values from his childhood, one who travels countries-- but for job reasons. Yet, he's lonely. You can't picture him laughing heartily with utter strangers during a play's break in the theatre foyer. In fact, he's probably gone to see the play alone. Edgeworth’s profile in the flickering light. They're both lonely, but passionate at heart, and so clumsy.. and the hopeless romantic in me (half natural, half inducted by your story) wants to add 'more than we will ever understand'. :P The end especially sent me through an emotionaler rollercoaster, reading the words again and again unable to decide what exactly is happening between them, but it was magic.

This is an astounding piece of fanfiction, inspiring and suborning.

p.s. PHOENIX RUN AFTER HIM YOU RETARD
p.s. 2 ill be surprised if you can read this post without troubles - sorry, im just too overwhelmed

raging klavier crush

Jumping in where I probably shouldn't (despite musouka's vicious LIES, she did most of the heavy lifting in this chapter, I just filled in some cracks), but wow, thank you so much for that review, Ethed. It's sort of overwhelming to get that kind of feedback, but unspeakably rewarding, and we're so honored you think it was worth the time and energy to give it. Really happy you're enjoying the smaller details, and picking up on some of the undercurrents we were struggling to get across without being hamfisted about.

And yes, Maya is a joy to write. <3

Thank you, too, DSL-69. Hahaha, I'm not sure what to say, honestly--like I said, kind of overwhelming--but we're so happy you're enjoying it that much and really hope you'll keep enjoying later installments!

Warehouse Tiger

It's so rare to find a fanfic that takes longer than three chapters to have the main relationship introduced- even rarer to find one that hasn't got that immediate 'and then I realised we were meant to be' with plain sailing romance from there on in. Serious props for having Phoenix freak out and reject things completely, that takes a whole lot of bravery, considering that means it'll take many more chapters for them to get through this to have a working relationship. You two just seem to revel in breaking homosexual romance stereotypes; no love at first sight dealie, having entire chapters not even mention the main two males, paying attention to the females as equally as you do the love interest, not shoving sex scenes in every consecutive chapter, and not even warping the characters' personalities to achieve a faster make-out scene. Total love and awe from my corner.

I absolutely adore Maya in this! Her energy and vivacity really show up Phoenix and Miles’ much more languid nature, as well as showing the more playful side of our favourite defense attorney which would never otherwise be shown with only Miles present. You have me wondering slightly about the appearance of Maya’s Master robes- I keep imagining her in the large black robe Elise Deauxnim wears, though that wouldn’t have garnered as many looks as Maya did if she was.

I couldn’t really be annoyed if I tried at the long wait for this chapter as 35 pages of such wonderfully poignant writing, where you’ve managed to balance drama, detail, plot and a brilliantly cutting sense of humour so well that this wouldn’t only be perfectly in place in the canon, but also fully published. I’ve read books with more than three awards to their name with less beautifully flowing narrative than what you two have managed. Feel free to hit me for being a shameless suck-up, but I really am just bowled over by you twos’ sheer talent and ability. I’m hard-pressed to not just revert to emoticons and l33t speak to fully express how brilliant I think this is.

Now please excuse me while I go pimp this around to everyone who has ever even had a passing glimpse or vaguely heard of the Phoenix Wright series <3

~Zizzo

Diamond Dust

I know I already left a review on FF.net last night, but I just read it again on here and I can't get over how amazing this is. It's just so wonderfully written I kept scrolling back up to read some parts over and over cause I couldn't believe how good it was. The descriptions are perfect, Phoenix's thoughts are brilliant (the one with the ladder/stepladder especially made me laugh ^^;) and the story is just so human and believable. And I love how you integrated Maya as if it was only natural that she's there, instead of her complicating things.

I was up super late last night and I was about to go to bed, but when I saw this was updated, I was so happy I decided to stay up longer just to read it ^^; I barely got any sleep but oh well, it was worth it XD That's how awesome it was :)

Oh and I can't review without mentioning the end. I love the way it just "happened" without Phoenix expecting anything. I think it's so adorable how he doesn't realize that his feelings for Edgeworth are progressively changing, like the way he looks at him, how he felt like "his heart was going to jump out of his chest" when he showed up suddenly, and how the first thing he thought of when he took the case was if he should cancel his plans with Edgeworth or not. And even when he remembers Maya's teasing about "dinner dates" and decides not to talk about his Thursday dinners, he doesn't even realize that it's more or less what it's become. And I love the way you ended the chapter with Phoenix being in shock and obviously confused by his own actions. Now I can't wait for the next chapter :)
I am matter. I am antimatter. I can see your past. I can see your future. I consume time. And I will consume you.

.: Of Fake Fairytales and Faux Amour :.

I like a man with a big ... vocabulary.

I don't think I can add anything to what Shiva, Zizzo and Ethed have already said about mood, detail and underlying themes. If I could write like this I would die a happy woman!

Beautiful stuff, and really the length is irrelevant - it really doesn't *feel* long when you're reading it because it's just incredibly flowing and engaging. In fact you get to the end and think "oh, is that IT? Damn!" and then you go back and start reading again. And anyway - it was bound to be long once Maya comes into it because she's such a wonderful character to bounce dialogue and thoughts off that it would be unfair to skimp on the joys of that interaction. But at the same time her joie de vivre (which you captured perfectly) carries it along with aplomb.

There are so many moments that I loved that I really want to rattle on for ages but it would be extremely boring and I think you probably know already from my fangirling at previous chapters that as far as I'm concerned this is the best thing I have read in any fandom. My own interests and reading tastes are way outside anime/games/manga so I'm always excited when I find something that is easily as good as something I might pick up off the bookshelf next to the couch.

I will pick this one out though:

Quote:
“Very well, sirs... madam.” The waiter bowed once more, casting a final, questioning glance at Maya before departing to place their order.

Her robes really do attract attention, Phoenix thought, bemused. It must be kind of rough drawing stares everywhere you go over a tradition you don't really have say over...

Edgeworth had a pensive look on his face that told Phoenix he had noticed the same thing, but when their gazes skirted across each others', Phoenix found himself frowning slightly—he couldn't shake the sudden feeling that Edgeworth had seen something he himself had failed to.

I really like that, and the fact that Phoenix is oblivious to how their Thursday nights appear to other people.

I love the ending of this one - perfectly handled, and I think it's a first encounter that rarely *has* been handled well and one that I would never want to write because I am a coward. So kudos all round really, in short. I hope you both have a nice lie down and a beer/cup of tea/whatever after this epic chapter and I look forward to the next with happy anticipation.
"Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good". - Thomas Paine

I've now read this chapter for the third time.

Let me say, English is not my mother tongue and I haven't been studying it for a very long time yet. While, certainly, this disallows me the pleasure of fluency to word my amazement, I just had to post again and agree that the posters above perfectly recapitulated what I couldn't put into words and add a few things. Not only did Maya suddenly became a likeable character to me, you brought out all the finer character traits, you awoke the characters. I have laughed, I was shocked, I was deeply uncomfortable, then numb, then found myself laughing and clapping so hard even Gant would've pierced me with odd looks. When was the last time literature had such an impact on me?

Plainly labelling this 'fanfiction' is.. so trite, for some reason - I suppose the amateur author salivating over the sheer mention of a pairing like a Pavlovian dog stereotype comes to mind with the mention of fanfiction. But this is, to say the least, a striking piece of literature. It keeps me from thinking "o lol romance inc! and then faces will be cupped and manbabies made" at the slighest sign of contact. At the same time, the vast amounts of ~"I am Miles, hear me roar." "I am Phoenix, shy and girly." "Elbows touched, and then we made love. This particular scene of intercourse could easily be applied to any other pairing, but who gives if it's two hot guys?"~ type of PxE fanfiction scarred me to the extent I want to shout HUG IT OUT ALREADY at both of them - what can I do.
Now this is where this story comes in - it brings back the humanity of relationships. The perfect romance can exist like it does in a lot of one-chapter PxE fiction, but the impending fate of the involved characters just isn't half as rewarding. You, on the other hand, you take us on a ride, make us witnesses of their lives, you tease us, you take all the time you want and feel is right. And that is more intense than anything. PW is suddenly more intense than it has ever been.

The length is just right. Anything is just right in this. How in God's name do you two do that? I can imagine the amounts of work put into this (I'm working on another novel myself these days) and I wish I could help somehow. I've told musouka before, but should you require any kind of help, a very devoted bunch of us is right here. I've lived most of my humble life in Germany and could probably give you detailed descriptions of anything.

("Freunde Fressen" is hilarious, by the way. The connotation of that (I'm not sure if you know, but if you do, forgive me) would be.. two sympathizing beings shovel down all the food they can, pretty much in a porcine manner. The picture of Phoenix and Miles doing that.. oh God, I'm dying. MUMPH MUMPHJMG MMM YUMMEH NOM NOM NOM GRAVY, ACHTUNG BABY, SLICE OF SCHWEINS BRATEN FLYING YOUR WAY! CATCH!)

Hahah.. humour aside, you know, there's so much to say about this piece, but all in all.. you enrich fanfiction, and you're raising the bar. You're providing us with kaleidoscopes of highly mesmerizing action, extravagant implicit characterisation, directional finesse and unending imagination.

Also, questions - zomg! Do you have a greater plot drafted in mind, or do you just come up with the story as you go? (I can't imagine the latter though, I admit, this is way too engaging. Not saying fiction cannot be spontaneous of course! It's just that this story blows my socks off so hard they fly all across the room back into the sock drawer where they throw all the other socks out and I'm standing in a big colourful rain of sock confetti) And if there's a draft, how far have you planned?

Quote:
("Freunde Fressen" is hilarious, by the way. The connotation of that (I'm not sure if you know, but if you do, forgive me) would be.. two sympathizing beings shovel down all the food they can, pretty much in a porcine manner. The picture of Phoenix and Miles doing that.. oh God, I'm dying. MUMPH MUMPHJMG MMM YUMMEH NOM NOM NOM GRAVY, ACHTUNG BABY, SLICE OF SCHWEINS BRATEN FLYING YOUR WAY! CATCH!)

Very TOM JONES. :)
"Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good". - Thomas Paine

A little goodie:
Here is how..I suppose you could envision me standing in a sock confetti.

raging klavier crush

Ethed wrote:
Also, questions - zomg! Do you have a greater plot drafted in mind, or do you just come up with the story as you go? (I can't imagine the latter though, I admit, this is way too engaging. Not saying fiction cannot be spontaneous of course! It's just that this story blows my socks off so hard they fly all across the room back into the sock drawer where they throw all the other socks out and I'm standing in a big colourful rain of sock confetti) And if there's a draft, how far have you planned?

Despite being once again being blown away by your praise (unable to express enough gratitude for it, can only say thank you over and over again - your feedback really makes everything so rewarding and worthwhile for us!) - I'll go ahead and answer this. Yes, we have everything planned out, very, very far ahead. In fact, as I mentioned to musouka, there's one particular line of foreshadowing we've been dancing around that I'm both surprised and pleased no one seems to have picked up on yet. :D

Also, socks!!! <3

Raelle wrote:
Ethed wrote:
In fact, as I mentioned to musouka, there's one particular line of foreshadowing we've been dancing around that I'm both surprised and pleased no one seems to have picked up on yet. :D

The only thing I've been wondering about is where Miles went to last chapter leaving Phoenix waiting in the courtroom lobby for an hour, and why he cancelled dinner. :)

俺の黄金の魔女

Hahaha, it's getting to be to the point where I'm almost scared to check this thread--afraid I'm going to keel over in happy shock. I'm just speechless every I read all the wonderful things you guys have taken the time to write. If you could see me, my entire face would be red.

As Kris said, every plot point of this fic has been carefully planned out. To give you an example, wondering why Phoenix and Edgeworth's dinners are every Thursday? It's because the first chapter of the fic starts on July 2, 2020--a Thursday. (Yes, we have a timeline. This chapter took place on August 6th, just in case you were curious.)

As far as foreshadowing goes, I was really amazed and tickled at all of the stuff you guys noticed. If you go back to chapter two, the waiter has a similar reaction to them in this chapter. Since it's already been figured out, I see no harm in saying, yes, he thought they were a gay couple on a date. So Maya was a sort of strange addition this time in the eyes of those that worked there, since they were used to the two guys alone.

I'm happy you guys got a kick out of "Freunde Fressen". I asked my mom for a sort of goofy German restaurant name--something that could fit in the the PW-verse--and that's what she came up with. Not knowing a lick of German myself, I don't know if there's anything wrong with it, but the reactions I've gotten from people that do know the language make me think she was right when she said "Anyone that knows German will get a chuckle out of it."

As for all the praise you guys are heaping upon me, I'd just like to say that I'm really, really honored. Words can't express how much it means to me to know that people are enjoying this fic and want to find out what happens next. I just hope it won't dissappoint!

For everyone interested and the two authors agree, I now carry this little fanbanner in my signature. I meant to add something like fanlist or fanbanner, but didn't find the space. Upon clicking, it also links to this thread. If there are no problems or copyright issues, feel free to add

[ url=http://www.forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2639][ img]http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2571/sagqm3.png[ /img][ /url]

without the spaces within the tags. I can also make smaller or different ones if anyone wants.

Rookie

I'm a little late in reading this because I wanted to finish T&T before I launched into 1000 Cranes and chapter 3.

But what can I say that hasn't already been so eloquently typed by the other posters? Cranes was a delightful look into
Spoiler: 3-5 (just in case people are still skipping that chapter)
Iris and Pearl's
relationship that I've been waiting to see since I first heard of their... connection. Chapter 3 felt a bit long, to be honest (but I've been playing the game for three days straight, so my brain's a bit muddled and achey right now and not in the proper mood for 30 page chapters), but it was very well worth the wait. I imagine that it's hard to strike the right "balance" for Maya's character when writing for her (she's the sort of character I think I'd have a good deal of trouble with; how do you write "enthusiastic" without breaching into "annoying"?), but I think she's written brilliantly in this chapter.

And that kiss... *sigh* I think it's one of the best kiss scenes I've ever read (even if Nick did act like a complete moron once his brain caught up with him), and it's largely because you bothered to "imply it" rather than just flat out say "oh, they're kissing." Description for the effing win.

Now I want to dig through the entire story for foreshadowing hints....

ETA: I just wanted to throw out that I came straight to this fic right after I finished the game because I was severely disappointed by T&T's lack of P/E suggestions (yes, I even managed to miss the big one that everyone keeps taking about... must have forgotten to present the right evidence or something >_>) and that this chapter did not leave me at all disappointed in that respect.
Avvie image by Sklarvv.

So moe for Makoto it's funny.

Jesus guys.

You're setting the bar awfully high for me here what with your amazing words of (completely deserved in every possible way) praise. I should be mad, but I'm not because good LORD do these women deserve it.

I mean, I'm hardly one of the writers, but it's really sort of funny that as I read all these comments my own face is turned up into a huge beaming grin. I've seen so many of the ideas take form and shape from start to end and it's absolutely amazing the effort Musouka and Raelle both put into it, and it definitely shows. So yeah, I'm sort of grinning giddily at the fact that it's being fucking recognized for the sheer brilliant art it is.
Image (Awesome sig art by Axl99!)

CFTF, actually -- my thanks goes to everybody involved in the project, too. If M&R are this happy about your help with the piece (
"putting up with us during the long months of hammering and fangirling. Your willingness to read and comment means so much") then it's self-explanatory. :)

I hope my SAG (official abbreviations?! woot!) fangirling isn't going too far (qnd that's coming from the one with a fanbanner in their sig!), though. I don't mean to spoil anything, I just can't leave a few words of appreciation unsaid, even if I do feel like a trite donkey sitting a few thousand miles away from the action, drooling over the work of two women. To think this is only the third chapter.. but Lord you're right, this is sheer art.

Oh no, say it all. Say MORE. These two deserve to have a big head for once :P

raging klavier crush

Funnnnnk, don't make me punch you in the ovary! :P

(S-stop bowling me over, Ethid! My forehead can only take so much impact against the floorboards. ;_;)

Thanks for the feedback, Officer 1BDI. Glad to hear you enjoyed 1000 Cranes too. <3

HA. I HAVE NO OVARIES.

JOKE IS ON YOU.

Hey, pal!

I have to admit... this is really, really good. Though... more than anything, I wonder what Maya's new robes look like >_>;

But yeah, I really enjoyed reading it... and I usually squick at P/E. >_>;
Siggy by Vickinator. Who is amazing

If there's a P/E fic I'd recommend to people who aren't P/E fans, this is the one.

EASILY.

Hell I've even pimped it to folks who don't play the game :)

Vampire Prosecutor

Location: Sandwiched between Edgey and Phoenix, and loving every minute of it.

WOW...I'm just speechless. I'm SO happy that I have now read this. I've been waiting till I beat T&T and it was a good wait.

I love the little subtle hints throughout the story, with Phoenix being oblivious to everything. The court case in the first chapter was excellent. I could really see and feel the pressure and emotions throughout the entire case. It was very tense.

I really loved as the story progressed from each chapter the re-ignited relationship between Phoenix and Edgeworth. Especially, as they began to mentally understand one another like in Chapter 3. They literally were speaking to one another without words. That was very powerful and it showed how deep their friendship is and how its growing.

There aren't very many PxE stories out there this powerful. It's very deep and moving and I can see this clearly existing within the games world. The title fits the story very well. I really am enjoying this and I can't wait for more chapters. Keep up the good work. :edgy:
Thanks Elriel for the wonderful Edgey siggy and the beautiful Phoenix/Edgeworth avy!
Artwork from avatar drawn by Yamamura Tatsuya

I -- Okay, I hadn't gone exploring PW fandom much and hadn't known this forum existed and then stumbled on this fic and OKAY I ADMIT IT I registered immediately just so I could review this here. I know it's available elsewhere, but I wanted to say it here, for some reason (and also get to explore the forum further, excellent).

First of all, guys, thank you for this story. Many people have already said so much more eloquently than I ever could how much and why this story is fantastic, but I had to speak up and express my appreciation anyway.

I'm not even sure where to start.

I know others have said it but I love how human this story is, how realistic. I love Phoenix's internal monologue - it's perfect, it's just like in the games, it makes the story feel that much more natural, that much more like we're living in Phoenix's head. Speaking of Phoenix's head, I love how he's confused and oblivious -- I love especially when the hints come thicker in this third chapter; I swear he was staring at Miles in a completely besotted way and not realizing it at all, bless his doomed little heart, noting little details about his face and the way the light fell on it. I read in one of you guys' replies here that you had been trying to make the attraction subliminal, to the point that it's obvious Phoenix doesn't realize it, and it works; you did it; it's there and you can see it if you look and he just has no clue. Very, very well handled.

And the characterizations. Oh man. The characterizations. I love everyone. I love everything here. I love how Maya fits right in -- I admit I was anxious at first when she arrived but her presence throughout the story has felt right, whether there in person or over the phone or simply in Phoenix's thoughts -- she should be a part of his life, because that's exactly what she is, and I'm so glad to see her handled correctly -- and not just in her presence but in her presentation, boisterous and wonderfully alive, full of energy, with her mixed-up remarks and her ease with Miles, not coming off as contrived or obnoxious at all (something that's so easy to fall into, judging by other PW fics!).

I just.

Okay.

And the end of Chapter 3. The kiss.

OH MY GOD PHOENIX YOU RETARD GO AFTER HIM.

RUN you little IDIOT.

I loved the natural-stilted-awkwardness of the entire build-up, their relationship so far, beginning to end, how Phoenix was just NOT REALIZING where it was headed, or just not letting himself realize. I LOVE the description of Miles' faces like a photo album; I loved how they start to talk without words more and how Phoenix realizes this. I love how when they kissed it wasn't all lavish descriptions of tongue wrestling or whatever but just conveyed exactly what felt right for that scene; it seemed to go on exactly as long as it should have.

And again, just! I love Phoenix's internal dialogue so much, it feels exactly right. I AM GOING TO LOOP LIKE A BAD TAPE.

OKAY.

Obviously I like this story.

Please please please keep this up. I can't in good conscience ask you to HURRY UP OH MY GOD even though I had the ill luck to read this cliffhanger chapter so soon after it was posted and will have to WAIT for the next one. I can't ask you to hurry something this good, something you're obviously spending time and effort and planning on -- and you can't rush art. Just know that I am awaiting the next installment with the utmost anticipation.

GOOD LUCK, you guys. And thank you so much.

There really isn't much else I can say other than "I love this and I wish I hadn't found it before it was finished." Waiting for more of this is an especially cruel form of torture. Certainly worth it, however.

I can't really add much to the praise that has already been given, because all of what I love about this fic has been said. I do, however, have a thought about the foreshadowing that no one has mentioned so far.

This could be way out of left field, but I am wondering if Edgeworth is involved with someone else. Asking for separate cheques at their first dinner, after Phoenix had offered to treat; the statement about the first dinner not being a date; him taking half an hour to leave his briefcase in the car -- what would have taken that long other than making an awkward phone call?; the canceled dinner.

Like I said, I could be completely wrong, but all these things have got me wondering a bit.

Please, do keep up the good work. This fic is beautiful and deserves to be finished. :edgy:

Literally and figuratively

Adding to the love for this story. The detail is wonderful, all the little conversation points and scenery details that colour everything. It's like watching Phoenix's life more than reading particular scenes in a story. Particular love for the metaphors -- Maya's topknot bobbing like a cork through the crowd is my favourite, very evocative.

And the slow awkwardness of Phoenix and Edgeworth's actual romantic relationship is wonderful. Anyone can write them happily jumping each other, but Phoenix being torturously slow to grasp what he feels? Very nice.

I'm following this one, and figured I should comment and let you guys know, already. :larry2:
Thanks to everyone who voted for Cherry! Check out the To Each A Tempo CR thread, there'll be punch and pie!

俺の黄金の魔女

Hahahaha, wow. Thank all of you so much. As always I'm sort of stunned at the outpouring this fic has gotten. I'm amazed that people are putting so much thought into it too. I'm also really happy to hear that the pacing is okay. As all of you know from following this thread, it was probably THE thing that worried me the most.

Since more than one person has brought up the time Edgeworth spent inside while Phoenix waited in chapter two, I will say that nothing of major importance really happened there. He spent a lot of time bracing himself from just driving away--hopefully we've made it fairly obvious Edgeworth has been carrying a torch for Phoenix for a while--and then encountered an acquaintance when he was in the lot, which also took some time. (And also the reason he looked so annoyed upon meeting Phoenix again.)

I know it's sort of hard since we're not really getting a lot from Edgeworth's perspective. Hopefully he's still coming across the way we want him to--it is a delicate balance.

I think I can speak for both of us when I say that what we want is for it to be entertaining. Rewarding us with these...essays of support is really just more than I deserve. Raelle deserves all of it and more, though! Don't beat me, darling!

raging klavier crush

musouka: HAET YUO.

No, I just want to echo everything she's said. You guys are fantastic. ;_; musouka and I have both complained endlessly at each other (and others, poor Funk) about trying to get Phoenix's voice and the overall tone of the narration right, so it's great to hear people approve of what we've been doing. <3 I hope the rest of the fic lives up to your expectations.

Ahaaa~

Yet another nice thread *subscribes to the topic*
sits back & relax with Vimto in one hand

:keylady: Hmmmm... whatever, it is time to fly return~ :edgy:

(7o_o)7 Sprite Arts Game char Deja-vus? Chores AA char in 3D! Ryu CR!

People should live freely without constraints.
That's how life should be! -
Richard Wellington

:coffee: Darned browser caused the double post
:keylady: Hmmmm... whatever, it is time to fly return~ :edgy:

(7o_o)7 Sprite Arts Game char Deja-vus? Chores AA char in 3D! Ryu CR!

People should live freely without constraints.
That's how life should be! -
Richard Wellington

Raelle wrote:
Yes, we have everything planned out, very, very far ahead.

ACTUALLY :D How many chapters are you two thinking of? Or how much of the plot have you written in these three chapters?

You know, it's crazy reading this over and over and still not tripping over anything in storytelling, in fiction and fact, in atmosphere...You're maintaining a solid grip on the whole yarn you're spinning. That's very impressive, especially since even good stories barely ever receive no negative critisism.

俺の黄金の魔女

Struggling is split into two "parts" (the intial arc, anyway) there are nine or so projected chapters in the first half, then either five or eight in the second half, depending on how long certain things take. (Most likely eight).

So for Struggling itself, estimated about seventeen chapters.
Page 2 of 5 [ 189 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Present Testimony