Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - WINNER!

For rips or edits of PW:AA / GS game sprites and related art.
Vitor-Leal
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:01 pm
Custom Title: Show me your moves, Trite!
Location: Brazil

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by Vitor-Leal »

I can't decide between them both, so here's two entries!

Here's the self-proclaimed alien called Mikitaka from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:

Image

And here's the betelgeusian otaku called Meow from Space Dandy:

Image

(Oh it's been a long time ever since i've last posted here... :hobohodo: )
This is a sig. Don't you believe me?
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by SuperAj3 »

Amazing sprites! Out of nowhere! Nice to meet you and welcome back!
Shadowsleuth
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:41 pm
Custom Title: professional megalomaniac
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by Shadowsleuth »

Oh snap! Finally, an entry that's visibly an alien! And yes, the JoJo! Great stuff here.
Virt
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 5:02 pm
Custom Title: The Pokémon Prof
Contact:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by Virt »

My entry: a Japanese myth called Yuki Onna. She's kind of like a snow witch who lures people in and then freezes them to death. Spooky. :beef:
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by SuperAj3 »

The detail is just so incredible!!! :beef: :beef:
I'm blown away! (pun intended :hotti: )
Shadowsleuth
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:41 pm
Custom Title: professional megalomaniac
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by Shadowsleuth »

wow Virt

Your Yuki-Onna is really really

cool
Darth Wiader
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by Darth Wiader »

Vitor-Leal wrote:I can't decide between them both, so here's two entries!

Here's the self-proclaimed alien called Mikitaka from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:

Image

And here's the betelgeusian otaku called Meow from Space Dandy:

Image

(Oh it's been a long time ever since i've last posted here... :hobohodo: )
According to original rules of the1st competition (invented by SuperAj3, I think) there can be only one entry per person. But both of your sprites are wonderful. I don't know what to do! Houston, we have a problem!
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by SuperAj3 »

Darth Wiader wrote: According to original rules of the1st competition (invented by SuperAj3, I think) there can be only one entry per person. But both of your sprites are wonderful. I don't know what to do! Houston, we have a problem!
Yeah. The reason I made that a rule was so that each person has an equal shot at winning. (Or else you could have someone enter 5 times and that'd be unfair).

But I guess if both are under the one entry (So you vote for both together as one choice and not one or the other) and the OP allows it then I think it's ok.
So maybe put both into the one image? Like a pair?
Shadowsleuth
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:41 pm
Custom Title: professional megalomaniac
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by Shadowsleuth »

SuperAj3 wrote:
Darth Wiader wrote: According to original rules of the1st competition (invented by SuperAj3, I think) there can be only one entry per person. But both of your sprites are wonderful. I don't know what to do! Houston, we have a problem!
Yeah. The reason I made that a rule was so that each person has an equal shot at winning. (Or else you could have someone enter 5 times and that'd be unfair).

But I guess if both are under the one entry (So you vote for both together as one choice and not one or the other) and the OP allows it then I think it's ok.
So maybe put both into the one image? Like a pair?
I... Don't see how it makes much sense to put them in a pair. These characters are unrelated. It's a shame but I think it's best to just have the user themselves pick one. Personally, I feel the second one fits the themes of the comp better. Though the JoJo one is great, without context nobody's gonna instantly read him as "kid who thinks he's an alien".
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by SuperAj3 »

I just feel bad he made 2 entries and can't use both. But yeah if they're unrelated to eachother it's hard to join them together (I was thinking they might've been related somehow)

OK. Vitor, just pick one of your sprites to enter.
Vitor-Leal
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:01 pm
Custom Title: Show me your moves, Trite!
Location: Brazil

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by Vitor-Leal »

SuperAj3 wrote:I just feel bad he made 2 entries and can't use both. But yeah if they're unrelated to eachother it's hard to join them together (I was thinking they might've been related somehow)

OK. Vitor, just pick one of your sprites to enter.
Oh, okay. I'll pick Meow, then. Sorry about that!
This is a sig. Don't you believe me?
Darth Wiader
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by Darth Wiader »

Vitor-Leal wrote:Oh, okay. I'll pick Meow, then. Sorry about that!
OP updated! Though the JoJo one was also great (personally, I love both series).
I added Yuki-Onna too. She's marvelous.
Image
TheDoctor
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 926
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 pm
Custom Title: Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by TheDoctor »

Technically speaking, since people are only allowed to vote for up to two sprites (depending on the amount of entries), a contestant could very well end up shooting themselves in the foot if they entered two or more sprites. If you have two sprites of equal quality, the votes are going to spread out a bit.

Example in a contest with multiple entries (voters allowed one vote):

A: 3 votes
B-1: 2 votes
B-2: 2 votes
C: 0 votes
D: 1 vote

B-1 and B-2 are equal quality, and while user B got a total of 4 votes, his entries only got 2 votes apiece, which isn't enough to beat A's 3 votes.

Compare to a contest with one entry per user (voters allowed one vote):

A: 3 votes
B: 4 votes
C: 0 votes
D: 1 vote

In this scenario, the same users voted for B, but since he only had one sprite, the votes piled up instead of getting spread out.
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by SuperAj3 »

So, then the whole point stands that it creates an imbalance if you enter more than once. Just instead of disadvantaging the others, it can put the one who entered multiple times in a bad spot too. So yeah, no multiple entries!
Mister Gruel
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:04 pm
Custom Title: Danksgiving

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by Mister Gruel »

Shadowsleuth wrote:Oh snap! Finally, an entry that's visibly an alien! And yes, the JoJo! Great stuff here.
yeah thanks i guess my kids will go hungry this month

...who am i kidding im voting for the Space Dandy entry
SiberianHunter
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:50 pm
Custom Title: Leader of Couch Army
Location: Russia

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by SiberianHunter »

Image
This is a witch from Russian folklore. Her name is Baba Yaga, and she likes to eat children that get lost in the woods.

P.S This is the worst sprite I have ever done.
Darth Wiader
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by Darth Wiader »

SiberianHunter wrote:Image
This is a witch from Russian folklore. Her name is Baba Yaga, and she likes to eat children that get lost in the woods.
Hey, we know her in Poland pretty well too!
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by SuperAj3 »

SiberianHunter wrote:Image
This is a witch from Russian folklore. Her name is Baba Yaga, and she likes to eat children that get lost in the woods.

P.S This is the worst sprite I have ever done.
I've heard of the Baba Yaga before!
There used to be a book series called "Tashi" I read as a kid, and I remember that's where I'd heard of her before.
FenrirDarkWolf
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 am
Custom Title: Otter

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Of course I'd get art block when I find a contest that I really like.
View my Sprite thread!
Image
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by SuperAj3 »

Sorry Darth, I'm gonna have to skip this comp... I have no photoshop anymore (my computer died, I got another but I need to get used to a new art program.)
Darth Wiader
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Post by Darth Wiader »

Oh, crap :( I'm very sad to hear that.
Anyway....

The deadline is drawing near, so if anyone needs it to be extended, let them speak now or forever hold their peace ;).
Image
Darth Wiader
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by Darth Wiader »

D-d-d-d-double post!

I have opened the voting for this competition. Because last time some users reported issues with using forums poll system, I decided not to bother the mods, but to handle the voting in a traditional way. Best luck to everyone!
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by SuperAj3 »

My votes go to 1 and 4!
Because they're adorable!

I liked all the entries! People had a lot of fun with them!
Lind
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 5484
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:50 pm
Custom Title: i feel pretty
Location: Milton Keynes, England

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by Lind »

What happened to Mikitaka?
2Edgey4Mia
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:39 am
Custom Title: Avatar? I'm not even a bender!
Location: Probably not here

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by 2Edgey4Mia »

I vote for 1 because cute, and 3 because I feel it fits the AA "style" the most.
Darth Wiader
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by Darth Wiader »

Lind wrote:What happened to Mikitaka?
Original rules stated that there can be only one entry per person, so Vitor-Leal had to choose between his two works.
Image
ann-nna
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Russia

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by ann-nna »

I vote for 4 and 5. :D
Tilemahosbra
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:16 pm
Custom Title: *wonk*
Location: I moved under your bed now
Contact:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by Tilemahosbra »

I vote for 5 and 6. :kristoph:
yes
Tiagofvarela
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:25 am
Custom Title: Lacks the brain for meaningful posts.
Location: Portugal

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Voting for 4 and 5.
Lind
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 5484
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:50 pm
Custom Title: i feel pretty
Location: Milton Keynes, England

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by Lind »

Darth Wiader wrote:
Lind wrote:What happened to Mikitaka?
Original rules stated that there can be only one entry per person, so Vitor-Leal had to choose between his two works.
Shame. JoJos is basically an automatic vote from me.

Anyway, 4 amd 5.
Shadowsleuth
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:41 pm
Custom Title: professional megalomaniac
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by Shadowsleuth »

voting 4 and 5.
Virt
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 5:02 pm
Custom Title: The Pokémon Prof
Contact:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by Virt »

Voting 4 and 6
ohzaru97
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 1:27 pm
Custom Title: An attorney with iluminaty powers!
Location: Spain

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by ohzaru97 »

voting 4 and 5 :godot:
"The law has a lot of contradictions, but we're going to fix the law!"
nahu2016
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by nahu2016 »

Vote for 5
Darth Wiader
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Post by Darth Wiader »

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a...tie :udgey:
The final match will be played between Vitor-Leal's Meow (left) and Virt's Yuki Onna (right):
Image Image
Rules wrote:If 2-4 entries receive equal votes, announce those who tied, and hold a tie breaker voting between those.
The overtime will last one week. This time, you vote by posting username of your favorite artist (Vitor-Leal or Virt). Don't confuse them ;). You have one vote, of course, and you may not vote for your own entry. The voting period will end no sooner than 8:00 PM CEST (20:00), Sunday 26th.

I'm dying to see the final victor. This will be, like, a clash of titans or something.
Last edited by Darth Wiader on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Tilemahosbra
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:16 pm
Custom Title: *wonk*
Location: I moved under your bed now
Contact:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - TIEBREAKER

Post by Tilemahosbra »

I vote for Virt.

Knock 'em dead, darling.
yes
Lind
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 5484
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:50 pm
Custom Title: i feel pretty
Location: Milton Keynes, England

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - TIEBREAKER

Post by Lind »

Vitor-Leal
ann-nna
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Russia

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - TIEBREAKER

Post by ann-nna »

I vote for Virt. :D
Hesseldahl
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 am
Custom Title: Scratch spriter
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - TIEBREAKER

Post by Hesseldahl »

Virt's Yuki Onna
Darth Wiader
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - TIEBREAKER

Post by Darth Wiader »

The voting period is finally closed and the winner of tie breaker with 3 votes against 1 is...
Virt's Yuki Onna:

Image
Congratulation to all entrants! Virt, you're the winner for this competition and will get the chance to host the next one!
Image
Post Reply