Board index » Present Evidence » Sprites

Page 1 of 1[ 36 posts ]

Sprite Help!!Topic%20Title

Winter Flag Trademark

Less story short, Here is the thing:

I can create AA-Type of Sprites pretty well, but the problem is: I can't just seem to "Flesh Out" The Sprites. Which means, I can only create general types of sprites by drawing, but can't just make them look like the ones on AA Games. I can also create various animations of them (somehow), but my main weakness is that I can't "Flesh Out" any of the AA-Sprites I make. Without Fleshing them Out, I can't use them on AAO. :payne:

And don't tell me to frankensprite! Tell me something else on how to flesh out without doing that. :yogi:

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.
Re: Sprite Help!!Topic%20Title

Art Person

Post some of the sprites you've made so far. I'd love to help and give some pointers if you want! :basil:
(I'm interested in seeing what you mean by "fleshing them out")

Winter Flag Trademark

Well, this was my first attempt on turning Prosecutor Edgeworth to a Full-Bodied (Co-Counsel) Edgeworth. Just one animation:
How was it? And how can I animate sprites like everyone else? :yogi:

Art Person

Ace Pointer wrote:
Well, this was my first attempt on turning Prosecutor Edgeworth to a Full-Bodied (Co-Counsel) Edgeworth. Just one animation:
How was it? And how can I animate sprites like everyone else? :yogi:

You didn't upload the file.
Use a website like imgur.com to upload your image first. (That link is basically your computer's local directory, so only you can see it)

Winter Flag Trademark

I have used Imgur to post images.

This spritesheet down there is one of my attempts on making my own sprite for my AA-Fangames, but since I don't know how to flesh out, it looks like this:

Meet Mr. Johnathan Smith, The Judge of the Fangame, whom also is Secret Agent Commander. Only appears in Court. :-P

Anyway, I know how to animate these sprites, but my only weakness is that I don't know how to "flesh out" these sprites, as they are also a second prime rule on using the sprites on AA Games. :sad-maya:

Art Person

Ace Pointer wrote:

This spritesheet down there is one of my attempts on making my own sprite for my AA-Fangames, but since I don't know how to flesh out, it looks like this:

Meet Mr. Johnathan Smith, The Judge of the Fangame, whom also is Secret Agent Commander. Only appears in Court. :-P

Anyway, I know how to animate these sprites, but my only weakness is that I don't know how to "flesh out" these sprites, as they are also a second prime rule on using the sprites on AA Games. :sad-maya:

OK, first of all, try to outline the character. Get a nice silhouette of what you want him to look like (I doubt you want him to be square headed). The overall shape is important, as it shows off the defining features.

Also, each character in these anime-style drawings has unique eye designs. AA is no exception, so they'll probably be the more defining facial features that will make people distinguish it as an Ace Attorney sprite.

Winter Flag Trademark

Alright, I'll try doing it. :phoenix:
I'll probably post it tomorrow, because I have some more work to do... Work, work, work.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Incidentally, if you want to use Edgeworth as co-council, an easy workaround is to flip his AAI sprites and use those. Not ideal perhaps, but it works.

?

Ace Pointer wrote:

I like the concept base of the judge sprite, if you want a moar AA look, why not frankesteining chars from Prev Games, a little touch and AJ sprites can mix with PW.

Winter Flag Trademark

Quote:
I like the concept base of the judge sprite, if you want a moar AA look, why not frankesteining chars from Prev Games, a little touch and AJ sprites can mix with PW.

I'll try. "Fleshing Out" Seems hard. I'm good at Frankenspriting, though. One more question: Did you made your own Avatar via Frankenspriting or "Fleshing Out"?

Winter Flag Trademark

TheDoctor wrote:
Incidentally, if you want to use Edgeworth as co-council, an easy workaround is to flip his AAI sprites and use those. Not ideal perhaps, but it works.

That would be easy, but I'm afraid I will not be doing such a thing. If I use AAI Edgeworth Sprite as Co-Counsel Edgeworth, it will only look more awkward. Besides, it's a GK Sprite, not GS. I know that they're related but different on the other, but, come on. Did you ever saw any GK Sprite being used on GS? Or even Vice Versa? Well, Mr. Doctor?

Spoiler: Turnabout Goodbyes Spoiler!
I have already finished Edgeworth's Damage Animation, where he has full body. Remember the area where his coats were cut? I put that much area of Edgeworth's Coat on the cutted area. Actually, I believe the area was cut because that sprite was supposed to be used on the Second DL-6 Trial when Phoenix names Von Karma as the Murderer, when Edgeworth would be shocked. Due to the Witness Stand there, the lower half area was cut. I fixed it. That's all.

I even fixed GS Prosecutor Edgeworth's Lower Half to make him look more like a Co-Counsel. (I may use it, though. But I don't know which program I should use to animate it like everyone else. I used Microsoft Paint to fix his sprite.)

?

Ace Pointer wrote:
Quote:

I'll try. "Fleshing Out" Seems hard. I'm good at Frankenspriting, though. One more question: Did you made your own Avatar via Frankenspriting or "Fleshing Out"?

The jacket is for another game if i recall correctly was a edit from a persona game, i took the sprite, and edited it as 2d as possible (Just 1 side) and then duplicate it and mirror'd to the opposite side to make the effect, the same with the watchdogs cap and bandana. The gray sweater is from scratch ( Not difficult but kinda failed at shadows, and its apollo body template.
and my OC hair, or at least part of it. So you can say its a Frankesteining.

Winter Flag Trademark

lx1.ica wrote:
The jacket is for another game if i recall correctly was a edit from a persona game, i took the sprite, and edited it as 2d as possible (Just 1 side) and then duplicate it and mirror'd to the opposite side to make the effect, the same with the watchdogs cap and bandana. The gray sweater is from scratch ( Not difficult but kinda failed at shadows, and its apollo body template.
and my OC hair, or at least part of it. So you can say its a Frankesteining.

...Actually, you had a different avatar some moments ago.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Ace Pointer wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

That would be easy, but I'm afraid I will not be doing such a thing. If I use AAI Edgeworth Sprite as Co-Counsel Edgeworth, it will only look more awkward. Besides, it's a GK Sprite, not GS. I know that they're related but different on the other, but, come on. Did you ever saw any GK Sprite being used on GS? Or even Vice Versa? Well, Mr. Doctor?

Spoiler: Turnabout Goodbyes Spoiler!
I have already finished Edgeworth's Damage Animation, where he has full body. Remember the area where his coats were cut? I put that much area of Edgeworth's Coat on the cutted area. Actually, I believe the area was cut because that sprite was supposed to be used on the Second DL-6 Trial when Phoenix names Von Karma as the Murderer, when Edgeworth would be shocked. Due to the Witness Stand there, the lower half area was cut. I fixed it. That's all.

I even fixed GS Prosecutor Edgeworth's Lower Half to make him look more like a Co-Counsel. (I may use it, though. But I don't know which program I should use to animate it like everyone else. I used Microsoft Paint to fix his sprite.)

Let's see, did I ever see a Gyakuten Kenji sprite being used in Gyakuten Saiban or Vice Versa? Not in the official games, but we're talking about fancases here. As a matter of fact, if you click the Shattered Glass link in my signature, it'll take you to the thread for my my AAO fancase, where I did indeed use an AAI sprite as co-council.

As for animating your sprites, I hear a lot of people suggest Paint.net for that. I personally use Photoshop, but that's only because a relative bought it for me. It's not something I would purchase myself unless I had a lot of money (seriously, Photoshop is not cheap). That said, if you plan on doing a lot of computer graphics (as opposed to just sprites), Photoshop may be a good choice if you can afford it.

TheDoctor wrote:
As for animating your sprites, I hear a lot of people suggest Paint.net for that.

Actually you can't animate sprites with Paint.NET, only make them.

Anyway, for animating sprites you can use Beneton Movie GIF, which does the job.

Winter Flag Trademark

TheDoctor wrote:
As for animating your sprites, I hear a lot of people suggest Paint.net for that. I personally use Photoshop, but that's only because a relative bought it for me. It's not something I would purchase myself unless I had a lot of money (seriously, Photoshop is not cheap). That said, if you plan on doing a lot of computer graphics (as opposed to just sprites), Photoshop may be a good choice if you can afford it.

Instead of Photoshop, how about Adobe Illustrator? Won't that be a good one? :yogi:

SilverGS wrote:
Actually you can't animate sprites with Paint.NET, only make them. Anyway, for animating sprites you can use Beneton Movie GIF, which does the job.

Beneton Movie GIF... I'll have to check it out, then try animating the sprites with it. :phoenix:

?

Ace Pointer wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

Instead of Photoshop, how about Adobe Illustrator? Won't that be a good one? :yogi:

SilverGS wrote:
Actually you can't animate sprites with Paint.NET, only make them. Anyway, for animating sprites you can use Beneton Movie GIF, which does the job.

Beneton Movie GIF... I'll have to check it out, then try animating the sprites with it. :phoenix:

I hope it helps but here , have a page to animate sprites i use,
jus be sure to mark the option "leave original size" and the rest is intuitive.

Spoiler: Gif Maker Page
http://www.myspacegens.com/handler.php?gen=animatedimage

And yeah, i just changed my avatar, i wanted to polish that sprite.

Prison Attorney. Thanks Mij!

I mainly use fighter factory to create my Gif images as I can create a palate then change the colors without actually changing the image itself, also you can time each frame separately.
Backburner26. Currently working on Wolfgang Ace attorney, Visit this post here to find out more.
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9894
Visit my Sprites page! I post regularly and whenever I finish a set that I am working on.
http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30818
Ask Wolfgang a question.
http://backburner26.deviantart.com/
ImageImage
(The Wolf waits, looking for an opening.)

Ace Pointer wrote:

Illustrator is mainly for vector work, which is a completely different type of graphic because it doesn't use pixels.

GIMP is a free alternative to Photoshop but Adobe has released product codes for CS2. It's old and not as good but it works. For anyone who cares lol

Ace Pointer wrote:

Do you mean like making them look like real people kind of thing? The only real way to do it is by studying through reference. I'm not sure what you have against frankenspriting but it is a good way to learn how the official sprites do things.
AAO general / C-R dead-ish / deviantart slowly filling

Winter Flag Trademark

mercurialSK wrote:
Do you mean like making them look like real people kind of thing? The only real way to do it is by studying through reference. I'm not sure what you have against frankenspriting but it is a good way to learn how the official sprites do things.

What exactly do you mean by "Studying Through Reference"? Whatever it is, I think it will be super-hard. :bite:

GIMP is for the people using Macintosh OS. Anyway, I don't have something "against" Frankenspriting. I only believe that Frankenspriting will only end up making sprite weird. Or, are you guys saying Frankenspriting is the easiest way of creating a custom AA-Character/Custom Sprite? :texasman:

I actually sprite-edited characters' sprites to create a custom AA-Character... Also fixing some character without the lower portion. I'm also trying the Frankensprite Technique, by the way. It's going to take a few days to master it, though. Isn't it where you use the Magic Wand (Nothing Fairy-Tale Stuff, really. A tool on Image-Making Softwares) and seperate a part of an AA Character's Sprite and put it on the Custom Sprite the person will be making. Right?

?

Ace Pointer wrote:
mercurialSK wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "Studying Through Reference"? Whatever it is, I think it will be super-hard. :bite:

GIMP is for the people using Macintosh OS. Anyway, I don't have something "against" Frankenspriting. I only believe that Frankenspriting will only end up making sprite weird. Or, are you guys saying Frankenspriting is the easiest way of creating a custom AA-Character/Custom Sprite? :texasman:

I actually sprite-edited characters' sprites to create a custom AA-Character... Also fixing some character without the lower portion. I'm also trying the Frankensprite Technique, by the way. It's going to take a few days to master it, though. Isn't it where you use the Magic Wand (Nothing Fairy-Tale Stuff, really. A tool on Image-Making Softwares) and seperate a part of an AA Character's Sprite and put it on the Custom Sprite the person will be making. Right?

Probably frankestaining is an easy way to create custom sprited since you will always have a base present to draw your custom clothes/face/anim.

Ace Pointer wrote:

Not really. It's like grinding and that's only hard if you want no effort. This is a start I guess. They have more links to other tutorials in the description, those are starts too. If you were wanting to learn how to draw and colour realistically it's repetitive practice in order to understand how something is drawn. Since it's repetitive it's time-consuming (that's why I say it's like grinding lol) That's the only way to get better at drawing. Pixels are a medium like oils or watercolours and doesn't mean it's easier.

Ace Pointer wrote:

A Windows version of GIMP exists, although some use Paint.Net instead.

I disagree with the weird comment. I'll point you toward Lind's gallery... he's a frankenspriter and learnt all his scratch skills from that. And Lind's guide to frankenspriting. Frankenspriting can create awesome things, particularly for front-facing sprites, weirdness usually emerges when there's a limited amount of resources to use like with bench or judge sprites since they work on a different perspective.

Dracarys!

I have to agree that I don't really understand the dislike of frankenspriting. You gotta start somewhere and doing that will be good practice for making sprites from scratch later on.

Art Person

I admit starting out spriting, I disliked frankenspriting, because I could always see what characters I took from and it never felt original.
Looking back, that didn't help much, and so I tried it without sharing, and it can help you! Just try it at first, and see what poses look natural, then when you can make a sprite that's not recognisable (and you can't say "Oh yeah, he used Larry's jacket", or "That's Dr. Grey's arms") then try free-styling.

Or work at your own pace. People learn differently :basil:

Alexander James

Many people resorted to creating their own sprites, and I don't know why.
The anti-aliasing of original AA sprites and custom-made sprites are incomparable.
Spoiler:
Or maybe it's just my sprite editing program.

If all of them are happy, then I shall be happy too.

The end of nonsense is near.

AJtheprogrammer wrote:
The anti-aliasing of original AA sprites and custom-made sprites are incomparable.
Spoiler:

It's easier, for me.

What do you mean by incomparable?

Alexander James

Subject: Sprite Help!!

mercurialSK wrote:
AJtheprogrammer wrote:
Spoiler:

It's easier, for me.

What do you mean by incomparable?

Anti-aliasing in AA is unlike others. Usual anti - aliasing is like this.

In AA, the anti-aliasing is very bad.

AJtheprogrammer wrote:
Anti-aliasing in AA is unlike others. Usual anti - aliasing is like this.

In AA, the anti-aliasing is very bad.

Sorry... I still have no idea what you're talking about.
From what I can tell with your pictures... if you're referring to the lack of it, that's because the sprites have been restricted in the number of total colours and stuff. If it's like the fact that the skin tones have been used to shade the shirt, that's also to do with colour restrictions... if it's to do with how messy it sometimes is, AA sprites are drawn large and then shrunk, then automatically generated to be reduced in colour. Since it's automatic and done by computer, it's not absolutely perfect (and they probably weren't paid enough to be bothered to clean them lol).

So... Are the custom sprites better anti-aliased than official ones, is that what you meant by 'incomparable'?

Art Person

AJtheprogrammer wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm also confused. Why not make your own characters? It's good drawing and spriting practice in general, and you can get the anti-aliasing close to the actual AA sprites.

Also, the first 3 AA games all had characters with 16 colour palettes, so when they decrease colour depth it comes out that way. Look at the AAI sprites and tell me their anti-aliasing hasn't improved thanks to higher file sizes available for DS games compared to the GBA.

Look at the difference in Edgeworth from AA (16 colours) to AAI (128 colours):
Spoiler:

Alexander James

mercurialSK wrote:
Sorry... I still have no idea what you're talking about.
From what I can tell with your pictures... if you're referring to the lack of it, that's because the sprites have been restricted in the number of total colours and stuff. If it's like the fact that the skin tones have been used to shade the shirt, that's also to do with colour restrictions... if it's to do with how messy it sometimes is, AA sprites are drawn large and then shrunk, then automatically generated to be reduced in colour. Since it's automatic and done by computer, it's not absolutely perfect (and they probably weren't paid enough to be bothered to clean them lol).

So... Are the custom sprites better anti-aliased than official ones, is that what you meant by 'incomparable'?

Yes, that's what I meant.
The outlines are often too anti-aliased or too solid, in some custom sprites. The anti-aliasing of AA is very bad.

Dracarys!

So what you're saying is that people shouldn't make their own fandmade AA sprites... because their anti-aliasing is better than the sprites from the first few games? I'm not sure I'm fully following the thought process here.

Alexander James

Ropfa wrote:
So what you're saying is that people shouldn't make their own fandmade AA sprites... because their anti-aliasing is better than the sprites from the first few games? I'm not sure I'm fully following the thought process here.

No, because the quality might not match the background. That's all. Sorry to disappoint you guys.

Spoiler: -- My actual thoughts --
Go ahead and make your own sprites, but you should make your own backgrounds, too. Including the courtroom.

Winter Flag Trademark

AJtheprogrammer wrote:
Spoiler: -- My actual thoughts --
Go ahead and make your own sprites, but you should make your own backgrounds, too. Including the courtroom.

So, basically you mean to say that people should create their own sprites and own backgrounds and then use Anti-Aliasing on them to make it look like an AA Character?

Mijumaru wrote:
I'm also confused. Why not make your own characters? It's good drawing and spriting practice in general, and you can get the anti-aliasing close to the actual AA sprites.

Well, probably because if every AA Characters started creating Sprites, then Sprite Request Threads won't exist, won't they? But I'm not going to request any till it's urgent. However, There is 99.9% Chance that they'll refuse my request. :Lisa-sad:

Alexander James

Ace Pointer wrote:
So, basically you mean to say that people should create their own sprites and own backgrounds and then use Anti-Aliasing on them to make it look like an AA Character?

Yes, so that it matches with the background.

Art Person

Ace Pointer wrote:
Well, probably because if every AA Characters started creating Sprites, then Sprite Request Threads won't exist, won't they? But I'm not going to request any till it's urgent. However, There is 99.9% Chance that they'll refuse my request. :Lisa-sad:

The thread will always exist XD People will need help here and there.
Haha, I've tried doing as many requests as I can. Sometimes it's hard to, but there's been quite a boom with spriters here these last few days, so your chances could be a lot higher :ron:

Winter Flag Trademark

In any case, thank you all for help! Speaking of which, I have opened my Sprite Thread where I will put my Sprites on. If any of you had a time, then Click Here to see my sprites. Thanks, Everyone! :basil:

Page 1 of 1 [ 36 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Sprites