Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart

Page 1 of 1[ 20 posts ]

OC Contest Entry: The Striking SwordsmanTopic%20Title

Hello there! This is my first time posting on Court-Records, so please forgive any mistakes in posting. Here is my entry for the 2015 OC Contest (fanart division), The Striking Swordsman (Kei Feibu)!

Entrant's Name: TOFU + BEAST
Entrant's Website: portfolio on Nabaroo
Character's Name: The Striking Swordsman (Kei Feibu)

Brief Physical Description: A well-built, stocky and somewhat imposing Japanese man. His black hair is gathered into a short fluffy ponytail, which pokes out the top of his white-and-grey wrestler's mask. He wears a dark grey-and-yellow singlet with yellow elbow-length cloth compression gloves, along with long yellow socks. Over that is a light grey kimono belted closed with a white cloth rope, along with dark grey geta sandals. Occasionally, he wears a championship belt. His face is streaked with two lines of red face paint, which mimic the design of his mask.

Brief Personality Description: True to his performing background, The Swordsman's actions (and voice) are larger than life. He'll often shout "GATHER 'ROUND!" or "LISTEN HERE!" before launching into a grandiose promo, which often exasperates people. While he has a strong sense of justice, The Swordsman is very dedicated to "The Business", and is very reluctant to divulge information relating to his case because of that. He'll only answer to his stage name, stubbornly stays in character, and refuses to remove his mask. However, he's determined to help Naruhodo uncover the truth and clear his name...before the final 1-2-3 pin count!

Connection to canon characters (if applicable): Client of Naruhodo's. The Striking Swordsman would later become the inspiration for the Steel Samurai/Tonosaman character!

Brief Background: Inspired by wrestling acts in Europe's carnivals, "The Striking Swordsman", Kei Feibu, combines martial arts and kabuki theater to bring a new form of entertainment to Japan. When his opponent for an upcoming match, The Dastardly Daimyo, is found mysteriously murdered, all suspicion lands on him! With nowhere to turn, he enlists the help of Naruhodo Ryuunosuke to defend him.

Spoiler: Case background notes
-Other witnesses/possible suspects in this case:

Great Banban (the booker of the company in charge of deciding the outcome of matches, fellow wrestler, looks suspiciously like a yakuza thug but isn't)

Nezu Inoki (reporter/editor of The Dirtsheet, is intent on being the first to write an exposé on how pro grappling is "fake")

Mako Fuji (unassuming lady who is secretly a massive professional grappling fan, leader of the Professional Grappling Ladies Fanclub)

Kota Misawa (young man who wants to become a pro grappler, claims to have seen the murder)

-All of their names are, of course, references to real pro wrestlers (Giant Baba, Antonio Inoki, Marufuji, Kota Ibushi, Mitsuharu Misawa)

-They can also be read as terrible puns (Nezu Inoki= nezumi= "rat", Mako Fuji can be re jumbled slightly to read "fujoshi"/rotten woman/fangirl, Misawa sounds like= me/I saw it)

-The Striking Swordsman case seems almost unwinnable when there are no more witnesses to call/all theories have been thoroughly shot down by the prosecution, until Naruhodo points out that there /is/ one more witness that can be examined (it's the small, kindly old man that's been holding The Swordsman's megaphone the entire time)

-The old man's name is Hideo "Hidoiyo" Jii--hidoiyo= "that's awful", so his name is a reference to famed pro wrestling commentator/interviewer Mean Gene.

-Naruhodo figures out that "The Dastardly Daimyo" is actually a foreigner, William Catchas--he wrestled under a mask to hide his true nationality. The Swordsman learned about western style wrestling and showmanship from him, and as such respected him greatly (it's heavily implied he had crush on him as well).

- It turns out that Jii is the actual murderer, as The Dastardly Daimyo was booked to win a big match against The Swordsman, and Jii (a former samurai)could not bear the thought of a foreigner being made to look stronger than the Japanese Swordsman.

-After the case is solved, Kei decides to reinvent his wrestling character, incorporating different elements of both The Swordsman and The Dastardly Daimyo in order to honor Will.

-Kei also offers Naruhodo the chance to participate in a match's storyline--Narudodo hastily refuses, but Susato, who has become quite taken with the idea of pro wrestling, enthusiastically accepts instead.

Sidenote Pun: "Kei Feibu" can also be read as Kayfabe.

Spoiler: large image, full body portrait

Spoiler: large image, reactions

Critique welcomed!

Original link on tumblr here.

Last edited by tofuplusbeast on Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Re: OC Contest Entry: The Striking SwordsmanTopic%20Title

Great Revival

It's recommended you post entries here I believe.
Also, you're supposed to also give some information about the OC in this format:
Entrant's Name:
Entrant's Website: (optional)
Character's Name:
Brief Physical Description:
Brief Personality Description:
Connection to canon characters (if applicable):
Brief Background:
Link to entry:

Other than that, I love the art! :edgey:

Ah, I posted in the entry thread, but I can post the information I put there in this thread as well! Sorry, I was a bit confused, since the rules said to post a link to a contest entry thread as well. ;;

Great Revival

tofuplusbeast wrote:
Ah, I posted in the entry thread, but I can post the information I put there in this thread as well! Sorry, I was a bit confused, since the rules said to post a link to a contest entry thread as well. ;;

Ah, okay. I'm not sure myself, I'm just going off what's on that page.
Good luck in the contest! :edgey:

Great Revival

Oh, and I forgot to say, welcome to the forums!

Thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing all the upcoming entries in the contest!

Great Revival

Also, yours should definitely win because Steel Samurai. XD
But honestly, I think there already is something like the inspiration of the Steel Samurai called Lord Primidux or something, if I remember correctly.

Oh dang, really? I never played anything outside of the original AA series (+ ghost trick), and only saw the AA movie+bits of the Takarazuka play, so I might have missed seeing that.

Well, if there is a canon "ancestor for the Steel Samurai", who's to say that it wasn't the only one? Sentai series are often inspired by multiple things (or people!), so The Striking Swordsman might just be one of a few things that the Steel Samurai writers took inspiration from. \ :maya: /

Great Revival

tofuplusbeast wrote:
Oh dang, really? I never played anything outside of the original AA series (+ ghost trick), and only saw the AA movie+bits of the Takarazuka play, so I might have missed seeing that.

Well, if there is a canon "ancestor for the Steel Samurai", who's to say that it wasn't the only one? Sentai series are often inspired by multiple things (or people!), so The Striking Swordsman might just be one of a few things that the Steel Samurai writers took inspiration from. \ :maya: /

Hmm... Perhaps.

Slight edit made to add case details (like I intended to originally D: )

Also, here is a drawing of all the entrants in the contest so far + The Swordsman! :basil:

♥ #LocalizeDGS or bust ♥

tofuplusbeast wrote:

Also, here is a drawing of all the entrants in the contest so far + The Swordsman! :basil:

Oh, my goodness, I can't stop grinning! This is so cool! I just love how Enrico looks in your style! This is so full of, like, camaraderie and excitement - a lot of spirit! Thank you so much and awesome work!! *confetti*
I'm Yumihiko Ichiyanagi and you're watching Disney Channel.

tofuplusbeast wrote:

Also, here is a drawing of all the entrants in the contest so far + The Swordsman!

Holy SMOKES my OC Seizan looks so different in your style.
Urgh, makes me want to do this myself...but I ain't got the time........pooh.
But seriously, that is ONE cool picture. Maybe after the contest I could do one also when ALL of the entries have been done. Thanks for the cool group picture :) Completely unnecessary but thanks anyway!

@Violet: You're welcome! * v * I had a lot of fun drawing everyone. Also, now that you've posted your "voice" for your character, I've been inspired to go digging for a voice for my own dude:

and here's what The Swordsman would sound like. It's very yell-y, but Ryoma Nagare's voice actor is really all I can think of;;

@Alphawave: Thanks! I really wanted to kind of play with Seizan's expressions+facial features as they relate to his age--it's a bit different from your design, but hopefully it's not too bad! O :

Great Revival

tofuplusbeast wrote:

I think it fits him well.

And I just want to say it's awesome how friendly all you guys are with each other. :edgey:

Quote:
and here's what The Swordsman would sound like. It's very yell-y, but Ryoma Nagare's voice actor is really all I can think of;;

No, that suits the guy AMAZINGLY. Seriously. It's just as shouty as I'd thought it'd be. It's perfect, I'd say!
Quote:
And I just want to say it's awesome how friendly all you guys are with each other. :edgey:

Hey, why not be nice to each other, right? This may be a contest but it doesn't mean we can't support one another. It's all about the art! Well...for me, it is. I only really got into this contest to see how I fare against other talented artists :phoenix: and so far it's been a really cool experience! You guys are all cool and I wish you all the best!

♥ #LocalizeDGS or bust ♥

tofuplusbeast wrote:
@Violet: You're welcome! * v * I had a lot of fun drawing everyone. Also, now that you've posted your "voice" for your character, I've been inspired to go digging for a voice for my own dude:

Man, this is awesome! I'm only vaguely familiar with Getter Robo, but I think that rugged, bold voice suits the Swordsman just perfectly. I can imagine him giving each bit of testimony on the stand with each drop of vigor he can muster! It certainly wouldn't be a boring day in court with him around, haha.

Great Revival

Alphawave wrote:
Quote:

Hey, why not be nice to each other, right? This may be a contest but it doesn't mean we can't support one another. It's all about the art! Well...for me, it is. I only really got into this contest to see how I fare against other talented artists :phoenix: and so far it's been a really cool experience! You guys are all cool and I wish you all the best!

I agree, but I expected people to be all,
"YOUR ART SUCKS MINE IS BETTER YOU HAVE NO HOPE OF WINNING XD"
But nope, everyone participating has been really nice to everyone else participating.

Haha, normally I'd mouth off if it was something personal friends of mine and I were participating in (we rib each other a lot), but when you're just getting to meet people, it's better to be chill, right?

♥ #LocalizeDGS or bust ♥

Mhm! I think any heckling or jeering between competitors would be pretty bad sportsmanship. Besides, I can't really think of why you'd want to do that anyway... especially when the other contestants are so friendly, y'know?

Exactly! (I said, responding to this thread way too late ;;)

I wonder when voting starts and how it work? O : By this point I'm a bit too embarressed to look at my entry and want to redraw it, haha
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Fanart