Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay

Page 1 of 1[ 10 posts ]

Help with Apollo Justice wig?Topic%20Title

Il vero Vongola Decimo. D<

Okay, so, I'm considering cosplaying Polly for Zenkaikon. I found a site that sells his outfit (my house doesn't have any sewing supplies, stfu) and I figured out a way to make the bracelet. All that's left for me to figure out is how to pull off his damn hair. Dx Anyone out there who knows how to style the wig?
Re: Help with Apollo Justice wig?Topic%20Title

I'm all over that drift!

I'm not sure how other people like to go about their wigs, but I know for mine we started out with a really nice, thick wig (I think it was a Femme Fatale from Amphigory), straightened it using the hot water method (Katie Bair's wig site has instructions for how to do this), let it dry, and trimmed it shorter to where we needed it from there, after sectioning off the two antennae.

Your best friends will be a can of Got2B Hairspray and a bottle of Got2B spiking glue, along with a hairdryer that has a cool setting. Make sure to get the glue and not the gel, hair gel does not play nicely with wigs. Having a friend around to help you is also a great idea. Using the gel and the hairspray, carefully and slowly work on getting the spikes to stand up. Patience is key, here. Use the hairdryer to dry the product, and apply a TINY amount of heat now and then so the wig fibers will move the way you want to.

The big thing you always want to remember with wigs is that they are not real human hair and are made of plastic. Too much heat and you'll end up with a melted mess and a ruined wig. Be careful when trimming, too, because blunt cutting a wig can make it look pretty bad, even if it would normally work with human hair.

My other advice for Apollo hair would be to be careful to NOT take all the hair for the antennae from directly in the front of the wig. I see a lot of people do this and it doesn't look quite right, so remember one of his spikes is slightly behind the other one.

If you're a totally new to working with wigs, I would advise that before you begin, you go and poke around the cosplay.com forums here: http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62 especially the "common questions" thread. It's really useful and informative. :D

Il vero Vongola Decimo. D<

Okay, I'll try your method and see how it works out. :D
Also, once the spikes are done, what do you do with the rest of the hair? Do you just leave it alone?

I'm all over that drift!

We trimmed it shorter and used hairspray to slick it back. I try to take it easy on the gel because too much gel can make a wig look pretty crappy, same with too much hairspray. It still needs touchups occasionally, but it works. :3 Good luck!

Photographer Fanatic

My first version of Apollo's wig involved the steps people mentioned above when it comes to keeping the hair slicked back, but when it came to the antennas, I made them separately and attached it to the wig later. I also took an extra step of making a fake hairline to hide the wig line underneath that's usually not very photo appealing with hair that's pulled back to reveal the front. (You can use lacefront wigs instead of doing the gluing fabric and hair method though)

I'm in the process of making a second version, because I had the antennas too far forward and need to redo the hairline, but you can view the result I got from experimenting with this concept here: http://24.media.tumblr.com/4531429362c1 ... o1_500.jpg

There's wire and fabric under the antannas and layered with hair over it. It's then attached to the wig later after you've styled it and made the fake hairline. This makes them adjustable so you can pull off the animated bits his antennas emulate in the game :) Just another suggestion I thought I toss at you.

Ugh. Lawyers.

!!!!!

This topic is old but I thought maybe I could throw my two cents in? Cuz this really was a problem for me.
I really wanted it to be super nice looking--like, how some wigs are slicked back I didn't...like the effect it had. You could see the underside of the wig and I didn't really want that. Apollo is my all time favorite and I am going to wear this cosplay until I die so I wanted to make sure to find something perfect.
And so I stumbled across lace front wigs.
They look quite realistic when it comes to the hair line, and I really wanted that effect; to have it look really natural.

Here is an example of me in it! uwu [warnings: GIFs and my dumb face!]
N-NOW MY SPIKES ARE MORE LIKE DROOPS-- I have to restyle it and get his spikes...more spiky.

I quite like noletters way of going about it! That is quite an idea. I know that in the Hetalia fandom, they make the little hair loops and antenna, you can adhere [glue, w/e] hair to a wire and stick it through the wefts in the wig and attach it. It was my plan originally, until I decided on the lace front.

So yea! A few ways to go about it. Sorry to bring this up again, I know it's a bit of an old topic. :P
Courtroom Romance Afficianado || Talk to me about your fav rarepairs
Apollo Justice Deserves Better
Next Turnabout Boston meetup ---> n/a
Next Cons for 2016:
NYCC
AAC
Katsucon [??]
Anime Boston

Ganbatte, minna!

OMG lace-front wigs... I haven't had the opportunity yet to experiment with them but omg... Looks so awesome and solves SO many problems!! Also, way to go on your Apollo wig! I like your innocent face for his character, too :3.

A Seeker of Truth

Question all; lace-front wigs or normal wigs are great and all, but I have an.... interesting approach I'd like to try. I'm cosplaying as Apollo Justice, and I'm considering actually spiking my OWN hair to match his :apollo: I'm not sure what's the probability of success or even if it's possible, but I find it an intiguing possibility, so I'd like to hear some people's opinions :phoenix:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

Ganbatte, minna!

GentlemanGamer wrote:
I'm cosplaying as Apollo Justice, and I'm considering actually spiking my OWN hair to match his :apollo: I'm not sure what's the probability of success or even if it's possible, but I find it an intiguing possibility, so I'd like to hear some people's opinions :phoenix:

Woo! You're doing Edgeworth *and* Apollo! It'll be an interesting experience going from one character to the other, as they're so different :D. I hope you have fun with it!

As for spiking your own hair, definitely give it a try. It never hurts to experiment and certainly helps on the cost front!

Though, if you do feel unsatisfied with the result there are ways to compromise/experiment further without going for a full wig:

- For more volume, you could get some wefts that match your hair colour (or whatever you might be dying it) to add to the spikes and/or the rest of your hair. I've never done this myself so I recommend that you find a tutorial before experimenting with it.

- For better colour... The one thing I would say is difficult about spiking one's own hair is that the amount of mousse/spray you need to get the gravity-defying awesomeness often makes your hair colour appear quite darker. Wigs don't really have this problem. So, you can dye your hair a bit lighter if you wish to compensate. You could dye it in stages (just a bit lighter -> lighter still) to make sure you don't over do it.

^This is why experimenting just with the spray/mousse first is important. It lets you see what the effect is and what you could do to improve it if you wish to. It's a happy ending if you don't feel you need to improve anything further! Btw, for styling crazy anime hair, my favourite products are definitely "Got-2-B". They've got tremendous hold. Don't use Pantene or basically anything you might find in your Mom's bathroom lol. They won't be strong enough.

A Seeker of Truth

Diagnosed wrote:
Woo! You're doing Edgeworth *and* Apollo! It'll be an interesting experience going from one character to the other, as they're so different :D. I hope you have fun with it!

As for spiking your own hair, definitely give it a try. It never hurts to experiment and certainly helps on the cost front!

Though, if you do feel unsatisfied with the result there are ways to compromise/experiment further without going for a full wig:

- For more volume, you could get some wefts that match your hair colour (or whatever you might be dying it) to add to the spikes and/or the rest of your hair. I've never done this myself so I recommend that you find a tutorial before experimenting with it.

- For better colour... The one thing I would say is difficult about spiking one's own hair is that the amount of mousse/spray you need to get the gravity-defying awesomeness often makes your hair colour appear quite darker. Wigs don't really have this problem. So, you can dye your hair a bit lighter if you wish to compensate. You could dye it in stages (just a bit lighter -> lighter still) to make sure you don't over do it.

^This is why experimenting just with the spray/mousse first is important. It lets you see what the effect is and what you could do to improve it if you wish to. It's a happy ending if you don't feel you need to improve anything further! Btw, for styling crazy anime hair, my favourite products are definitely "Got-2-B". They've got tremendous hold. Don't use Pantene or basically anything you might find in your Mom's bathroom lol. They won't be strong enough.

Yep, should be interesting :godot: I've got Apollo's outfit together and his accessories are currently coming through the mail; took some doing to find a red suit vest, but I got there eventually :phoenix: I didn't originally plan on doing Edgeworth, but I found Edgey-burgundy pants at an Old Navy by chance for $25 and all they had were MY SIZE; I wasn't going to let them go after that :edgey: After that I found a nice burgundy blazer at Value Village that was exactly my size as well, and I already had a black suit vest. Since I already had the more 'expensive' parts of the outfit, it wasn't too much of a stretch from there to just finish his outfit and cosplay him as well; hence my search for Edgey's frills of fantasticalness in another thread :edgey: Anyhoo, this is the first time I've put together cosplay myself - I usually just buy the whole package from someone online- so I'm kind of excited; I hope I enjoy it too :phoenix:

Thanks for the hair tips; they're much appreciated :phoenix: With any luck, this will save me money and allow for some pretty realistic horns of Justice when I head to Anime North this year. If not... well, I always have wigs to fall back on as well. I'm not too picky either way :apollo:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay