Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay

Page 1 of 1[ 10 posts ]

Maya Fey Cosplay HelpTopic%20Title

death was fashionable

Hello! I'm planning on attending Nan Desu Kan this year, and I want to go as Maya Fey.
:maya:
Has anybody here cosplayed as her before? I'm wondering how I should make her necklace and hair.. sphere.. things... and what materials I should use for them/where I would get said materials.
Any costume-making advice at all will be appreciated, really.

Thanks!
grace
Re: Maya Fey Cosplay HelpTopic%20Title

'I need a schpoon for my schoop!'

I'd recommend using a wig for the hair, obviously...

I'm a wig stylist and I'd look for a nice wig at www.amphigory.com. Since people will be looking at your face first, the entire outfit second, the hair is something you want to focus on, so I'd splurge on the wig.

But what are your skills as to wig styling?

(ace attorney gremlin mode activated)

I've never cosplayed Maya, but this is probably how I'd do it...

For her necklace - make the beads yourself and work from there! I just found a decent tutorial about how to make light, polymer beads (if they were all completely made of clay they would become quite heavy) HERE. You might even be able to use that technique to make a magnatama. The tube beads inbetween can most likely be baught at your local art store along with the clay (look in the bead section). If you don't find anything then those can easily be made of clay as well. Use fishing line or beading wire to bead it up. (I can give you a small tutorial about jewelry making if you cannot find any online.)

If you do buy a wig, you could also probably make clay beads and a clay and attach them to the wig.

As for her "overcoat"/ 3/4ths sleeved shirt, you can probably easily find a shirt like that anywhere (it's in vogue). If you're having problems finding the right color, though, then you could probably dye if it is a light/similar shade (such as light blue/pink). I've used Jaquard Dyes on yarn before and it works just fine (you can always add more coloring if it is too light). This is the manufacturer's instructions, and simpler instructions here (this is for yarn only though). But it has to be the RIGHT MATERIAL! This will NOT dye acrylic, only materials that have protein in them - wool, silk, alpaca, etc. Make sure to do your own research if you need to dye something like cotton (you CANNOT dye acrylic or any other synthetic fibers at home - the dye process for those fibers is toxic.)

As for the rest of the costume, get creative! The fabric for her bow can probably easily be bought at a sewing store such as JoAnne's (look for a store in your area that sells cloth). To me, her dress looks like it has the construction of a bathrobe.

VISIT SECOND HAND STORES if you are having issues! I personally think that you can find some great stuff for yourself or for a cosplay at any second hand store or consignment shop. Also, if you get something for 5 or 6 dollars at a second-hand store, you feel less guilty cutting it up and modifying it for your cosplay.

If anything here didn't make sense, make sure to ask. I know this doesn't answer everything but good luck to you! Make sure to give yourself a lot of time to make this cosplay, and don't rush things!

EDIT: Wow... this post is long. So be SURE to ask a question if you don't understand something here. Again, good luck, and post pictures if you finish it!
My (not spoiler-free) Ace Attorney doodle blog

death was fashionable

@TheWonderlustKing: Heh, I meant "How do I make her hair... sphere...things..." as in the purple things that are in her hair, not her hair itself (I didn't really know what to call them). I do plan on getting a wig. n_n; I don't have any experience with wigs though...

@Addikt: Wow!! Thank you for such a great response! That type of bead sounds perfect. Thank you for all of the additional tips, too! I will definitely keep them in mind as I make my costume.

(ace attorney gremlin mode activated)

You're welcome! I wasn't exactly sure about what you were asking for, so I just gave it my all.

Again, good luck, and if/when you finish it you BETTER post your picture somewhere. I'd love to see what you end up doing ;)
My (not spoiler-free) Ace Attorney doodle blog

death was fashionable

I will. Thank you!

OBJECTION!

Actually, I'm going to cosplay as Maya as well, for Anime Evolution (not this year, though). Maya's clothes look like a short kimono to me. I'm sure you can find a pattern for a kimono at any fabric store. Styrofoam balls can also be used for her necklace and hair... balls. I found mine at a dollar store. ^_^

death was fashionable

I just got an awesome wig today, with an added bun that can be clipped on the top and looks really awesome.

I haven't started anything else with the costume yet. I'm still sort of confused as to how I'll get the clay beads and/or styrofoam balls onto the hair. Do I just pull it through the hole, like string? It seems sort of hard in my head, but I've never done that with hair so I don't know.

gracerofl wrote:
Hello! I'm planning on attending Nan Desu Kan this year, and I want to go as Maya Fey.
:maya:
Has anybody here cosplayed as her before? I'm wondering how I should make her necklace and hair.. sphere.. things... and what materials I should use for them/where I would get said materials.
Any costume-making advice at all will be appreciated, really.

Thanks!
grace

I was Maya Fey at Otakon 2010 and I "made" my beads out of Styrofoam balls from Michaels. The magatama was made from clay and it was pretty heavy, so the balls needed to be light.

My hair is pretty long so I went the wig-less route. I also used Styrofoam balls for my hair spheres. Easy and cheap.

Below should link you to my flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/luxbylex/4851249619/in/set-72157624633659826/

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

I made Magatama-necklace and the hair-decos exactly the same way as the person above me. Also, take notice that there are four smaller pearls between the 4 big pearls on Maya's necklace. You need to put them there too, or it looks too "tight".

I probably should also note that I got the hair-pearls to stick there by first putting on rubber-rings and then pushing the styrofoam pearls over the rubber rings with the help of a crochet needle.

Oh, also, you should paint the Magatama and all pearls (also those for the hair) with clear lacquer, in order to make them shine in the sun.

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay