Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay

Page 1 of 1[ 30 posts ]

The Edgey HairTopic%20Title

Hey. :)

I've obviously seen it done before, but for the hell of it I'm thinking of making it a style to last me for a while (I want to try out wacky stuff with my hair :P). My question is, how plausible is getting the edgey hair right without a wig? Can the bangs be made almost identical to Edgey's? (I've never seen a cosplay, wig or otherwise that has them exactly as Edgeworth has them, although I can safely presume that's because it's near impossible to get that kind of straight angle that Edgeworth has going on? (I know next to nothing about hair so correct me if I'm wrong haha. Maybe I'm just extremely picky =P)

As for my actual hair itself, it's a natural black. People always ask my if I dye my hair because it's that black, it's also extremely thick and is currently at the same level as my mouth. I know I'll need to grow my bangs out a lot more, but I just want a basis to get started on, if you know what I mean.

So, how plausible is this, just for kicks? :edgy:
Re: The Edgey HairTopic%20Title

(ace attorney gremlin mode activated)

I mean, I have some experience with dealing with hair that needs volume (like mine, uh, on a regular basis), but I really can't say if you could pull it off. It'd probably take some work to maintain it, though.

But if you do decide to do it, post your pictures afterwards! Then we can stalk you
My (not spoiler-free) Ace Attorney doodle blog

Addikt wrote:
I mean, I have some experience with dealing with hair that needs volume (like mine, uh, on a regular basis), but I really can't say if you could pull it off. It'd probably take some work to maintain it, though.

But if you do decide to do it, post your pictures afterwards! Then we can stalk you

Yeah, I'm aware of the maintenance required to keep it looking good, but it's worth it if I can pull it off. :edgy:

Haha, I'll be sure to do that, but good luck stalking me. ;D

OBJECTION!

Maybe you should try finding an Edgeworth cosplayer that did their wig well and ask them for their advice (like on deviantart or cosplay.com or something). I think advice from someone who has actually done it before much more helpful and accurate. But it's kind of hard styling your own hair versus having it in front of you. I find it much easier styling wigs than my own hair. Plus, I don't think you want to accidentally spray hair spray in your eyes. ><

But good luck!

Aqua wrote:
Maybe you should try finding an Edgeworth cosplayer that did their wig well and ask them for their advice (like on deviantart or cosplay.com or something). I think advice from someone who has actually done it before much more helpful and accurate. But it's kind of hard styling your own hair versus having it in front of you. I find it much easier styling wigs than my own hair. Plus, I don't think you want to accidentally spray hair spray in your eyes. ><

But good luck!

Hmm... know anyone I could have a shot at asking who stand out?

Haha, I've done that before, but I think getting energy drink in your eye is worse. (It splashed up into my eyes. Pain)

One thing I plan to do is have the hairdresser get the start of it cut, and then if she can style it like that she'll be able to tell me how to keep it going pretty well, I hope.

OBJECTION!

Maybe http://linkinspirit.deviantart.com/ ? Her Edgeworth wig is pretty good. Actually, she looks kind of familiar... I think I saw her on the court records forums some time ago... But yeah, asking a hairdresser would also be really helpful. ^_^

The Midnight Lurker

Egg whites would keep the hair straighter than hairspray. That's how people do those crazy huge liberty spikes. XD It's perfect for gravity defying hair...

(ace attorney gremlin mode activated)

ChocolateXCheese wrote:
Egg whites would keep the hair straighter than hairspray. That's how people do those crazy huge liberty spikes. XD It's perfect for gravity defying hair...

That doesn't seem all that practical on a daily basis... great for cosplaying, but maybe not so great for daily use? (unless you really like fried egg yolk :) )
My (not spoiler-free) Ace Attorney doodle blog

The Midnight Lurker

Addikt wrote:
ChocolateXCheese wrote:

That doesn't seem all that practical on a daily basis... great for cosplaying, but maybe not so great for daily use? (unless you really like fried egg yolk :) )

Eh, if you lived on a farm and have a ton of extra eggs it would be practical. XD

The Cold Grasp of Justice

I've accomplished it with a wig before, and could offer you advice, if you're still in need of it. ^_^
Phoenix: "I was ready to hug it out with him, but he's just the same, prideful Edgeworth."

"Sorry, Dad, I can't play WoW tonight because I've got to go play D&D!"

Wannabe Ace Attorney

Youshi Semenjyu wrote:
I've accomplished it with a wig before, and could offer you advice, if you're still in need of it. ^_^

I for one would love to hear your advice, thank you. :edgy: I'm also having Edgey hair issues.

It's the war of the Eyeglasses!

I'm thinking off the top of my head so I apologize if this is stupid, but you could put those "bump it" things where you need them. I know nothing about them except that they raise your hair so if that was a complete fail, I'm sorry.

Wannabe Ace Attorney

JeremyGavin wrote:
I'm thinking off the top of my head so I apologize if this is stupid, but you could put those "bump it" things where you need them. I know nothing about them except that they raise your hair so if that was a complete fail, I'm sorry.

Those "bump it" things? What are those? :yuusaku:

Assuming we're still on the topic of an Edgey-style wig.

lame alert

i would get hair thinckening mousse first XD
i dunno what your hairs like, but if you try and stick it up normal, it can curve downwards. I find if you usde hair thickening stuff it lifts from teh roots and stays more angular :) :godot:
when my hair was shorter i could do godot hair!!! XP
Image My fanfic fanart
Click the sig for my graphics :) requests taken.
Deviantart
sig nd avvi thanx 2 my boredom:)

ilygodot wrote:
i would get hair thinckening mousse first XD
i dunno what your hairs like, but if you try and stick it up normal, it can curve downwards. I find if you usde hair thickening stuff it lifts from teh roots and stays more angular :) :godot:
when my hair was shorter i could do godot hair!!! XP

Perhaps I could try that, but my hair is incredibly thick as it is, and naturally black. We'll see how it goes. :edgy:

And... 'bump it' things?

It's the war of the Eyeglasses!

Auste wrote:
JeremyGavin wrote:

Those "bump it" things? What are those? :yuusaku:

Assuming we're still on the topic of an Edgey-style wig.

nah never mind. they wouldn't work

Well, with a wig, you can't use certain products because they won't react to the plastic fibers. Hair gel, for example, only works when it has natural oils from hair to react with. Mousse is similar in nature.

I used a medium length wig to make Edgeworth, so that I would have enough length to make the bangs in the front.

After parting it where I wanted it, I worked on one bang first. I used a hair dryer and pulled the fiber up straight, and heated the section that I wanted to stick up. I made sure it was very hot before I sprayed a small amount of got2beglued hair glue spray on the heated part. Then, I heated it again, and let it dry. You have to do this a few times with a few layers of fiber in order to get it to stand up nicely.

To get it to bend down and fall around the face rather than in it, I curved the untreated section of hair down and did the Heat-Spray-Heat method again, but not as extreme. Then I simply shaped the bangs using a photo of Miles as reference.

The Result:

Phoenix: "I was ready to hug it out with him, but he's just the same, prideful Edgeworth."

Wannabe Ace Attorney

Youshi Semenjyu wrote:
Well, with a wig, you can't use certain products because they won't react to the plastic fibers. Hair gel, for example, only works when it has natural oils from hair to react with. Mousse is similar in nature.

I used a medium length wig to make Edgeworth, so that I would have enough length to make the bangs in the front.

After parting it where I wanted it, I worked on one bang first. I used a hair dryer and pulled the fiber up straight, and heated the section that I wanted to stick up. I made sure it was very hot before I sprayed a small amount of got2beglued hair glue spray on the heated part. Then, I heated it again, and let it dry. You have to do this a few times with a few layers of fiber in order to get it to stand up nicely.

To get it to bend down and fall around the face rather than in it, I curved the untreated section of hair down and did the Heat-Spray-Heat method again, but not as extreme. Then I simply shaped the bangs using a photo of Miles as reference.

*whistles* That's amazing.

Only...I don't know where to find hair glue spray where I live. :eh?:

Wal-Mart! That's where I got it! Also, I used the got2beglued hair glue that comes in a tube to refine the partso f the hair that come to a point, like the ends of his pants and the part that sticks out in the back; the cowlick thing.

Wannabe Ace Attorney

There are no Wal-Marts where I live (as far as I know). ^^;;; Do you think they sell hair glue overseas since I live in the Philippines?

And...um, I don't have anyone else to ask here where I live since I'm the only local potential Edgeworth cosplayer I know.

EDIT: But thank you so much for the help! :pearl-blush: I'm glad I'm getting somewhere in my quest for the perfect :edgeworth: hair~

Oh. Well, I'm not sure. You could check and see. They might sell it in local beauty supply shops if you have any. Any sort of heavy duty hair spray and hair glue will work.

Wannabe Ace Attorney

Thanks, I'll do that.

And, so I'll also need a medium-length wig...will keep that in mind when I go wig-hunting.

Yep. Medium length. You can tell that I cut the back short as I needed it and left the front longer until I was ready to get the bangs the right length.

Wannabe Ace Attorney

Cutting...oh boy.

I am not a hairstylist D= I'm really scared to mess around with a wig, which is why I used to try looking for shorter ones.

I'm not a hair stylist either; that was the first wig I cut from long to short. You just have to be very careful.

Wannabe Ace Attorney

Youshi Semenjyu wrote:
I'm not a hair stylist either; that was the first wig I cut from long to short. You just have to be very careful.

...do you think I can just pay someone to do this job for me instead so I don't mess up? XDDDDD

Or, I could get a ruler and a ton of ref pics. And something to mark the length of hair I want to cut.

I just recently did a natural hair Edgeworth style for Otakon 2010. For reference, here is my cosplay.com site for that particular costume: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/319944/

I have to agree - Got2B Glued is the best product in the world for magnificently gravity-defying styles. To give you an idea of the strength of this stuff, I fully spiked a Reno wig (in its own gallery on coscom, if you want to see it) nearly 3 years ago and it looks untouched since then. You can actually knock on the spikes. With that said, the spikes themseloves are quite flexible and no hair style or wig I've worn with Got2B has been stiff or painful against my scalp. It's a very well made product. I much prefer the blasting spray to the spiking glue since it goes on much more evenly and blowdries very well. The spiking glue tends to goop up and get all over everything.

Basically I began with the proper cut - A short bob. What you want to do to get this cut is to tilt your head back so your neck makes a 45 degree angle to the ground. Comb/brush your hair back so it's slicked against your head and tucked behind the ears. ALL of your hair needs to be pulled back and hanging straight down for this to work. You want to start at your neckline where your hair begins to grow and cut your hair so that it all ends on the same, straight, even line parallel to the floor. This makes the front hairs much longer than the back and gives it a sort of taper from front to back.

I have to warn you that if my hair wasn't styled up like edgy I looked a bit like Aeon Flux, or if my hair was poofy or voluminous from humidity, Prince Valiant. Once styled though, it looks great.

To get the bangs to pop and rise, take a comb and part the bangs the way you want them on one side. Put the comb, tines up, flat against your temple. This part is a bit tricky - since the back end of his bangs are sort of flush with the side of his head, keep the back end of the comb flush with the side of your head. Use the FRONT part of the comb to pull the bangs up, out, and give them that nice arch. Spray on top AND underneath with blasting spray. It's a good idea to carefully blowdry on a light setting to speed things up.

The part that hangs can be blasted and flattened out to a sheet with a flat iron. The first ironing will probably not work the way you want, so you can re-spray and re-iron. I find it better to press one section and release, then move to the next inch or so and repeat down the whole length of the bangs. This way you can kind of guide the hair so that the bangs get that slight curve they have on Edgy's hair. You can also hold the very tips of the hair to make that point he has, where his bangs gather at the end.

If it ever looks wrong or doesn't come out flat (sometimes the spray makes your hair gather in cords rather than a sheet) you can wet your fingertips and repeatedly guide them along the length of the hair, sort of sculpting it into the right place and pressing it with the iron into the right position until you get it just the way you want it. You can use this technique for touch ups throughout the day as well.

This was a much more durable style than i expected. A whole saturday at a con only needed one touch up because the bangs' "sheet" split in the center one one side. Even then it was barely noticeable, I was just unhappy with it once I noticed myself in a window reflection.

I hope these suggestions help you with your cosplay. I was certainly very happy with the way the bangs turned out on mine, and I think the natural hair route gives you a certain very unique look that most wigs don't offer.

Good Luck!!

Wannabe Ace Attorney

*whistles* Wow. Like I said, I just have to make sure they sell hair glue where I live. Then I can just ask someone for help because I cannot be trusted with a pair of scissors, period.

Thanks for the help too =D

yet another Edgeworth fangirl...

When styling my hair, these are the steps that I took:
1. Put on one of those hair tie/headband things and make sure that bangs go over it
2. Part hair in middle and put a bobby pin there
3. Hold up one bang and hairspray the patootie out of it!
4. Do the same to the other one
5. Attempt to shape bangs correctly
6. Wait 10-20 min
7. Take off that hair tie/headband thingy.
8. Brush your bangs to make it look less fake
9. Reshape the bangs and give them one last spray for the road!

If you're trying to grow out your bangs, the length you should go for is when your bangs are past your nose (mine aren't there yet, but I'm working on it!) Also, if you have long hair in the back, you can always stick it in a ponytail and hide it in your shirt.
^@^
<(o_o)>
U-U

if those ''bangs'' are too short, you can always go through as Young! Edgey
Page 1 of 1 [ 30 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay