Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay

Page 1 of 1[ 8 posts ]

Good place to purchase Edgeworth's cravat?Topic%20Title

The Missing Link

I'm looking into buying a cravat to add to my tie collection. To further add, I'd like to get the same style as Edgeworth's however I'm having a hard time determining what is the closest real world cravat to his anime style looking cravat. I have no intention of cosplaying him, but I just want something different from my more generic neckties. I could be wrong, but the closet thing I see is an ascot that can be tired in what's called a mail coach knot.
Re: Good place to purchase Edgeworth's cravat?Topic%20Title

I think you already have your answer. You could probably get one pre-tied, but I'd wager learning to tie it yourself is your best bet.

This one looks decent for the price, and close to what you might be looking for.

Alternatively, if you aren't above wearing lace (and possibly looking a little too fond of historical reenactments), what Edgeworth wears could also be a ruffled jabot.

Ganbatte, minna!

Once again, I have to agree with Coyote. Edgeworth is indeed wearing a jabot. Perhaps you could contact this Etsy seller about doing something similar?

A Seeker of Truth

Question; I may be doing a cosplay of Edgey myself, so I'm wondering if I need to buy a jabot specifically, or just tie a cravat in the right way to get his... ruffles (for lack of a better word) to look right?
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

Ganbatte, minna!

GentlemanGamer wrote:
I'm wondering if I need to buy a jabot specifically, or just tie a cravat in the right way to get his... ruffles (for lack of a better word) to look right?

You might find someone hocking a jabot under the term "cravat". These fashion terms seem to be sort of tossed around pretty loosely in the marketplace. (Don't get me started on "ruching"...) Basically you just want to make sure that you have three layers of fabric showing. A cravat can technically only give you two, as it is formed by wrapping a single length of fabric around one's neck like these. No matter how you tie it or what the ends look like, you'll only get two layers.

Hmmm... unless of course you were to sew an extra piece to one of the ends to make it look like three layers. Hah. Actually that could probably work. :godot:

But then at that point, you're trying to match fabric to something pre-bought which can be difficult and time-consuming, so you might want to just make it from scratch ^^;. And at THAT point, the jabbot is actually easier to make. It's just three tiers of ruffled fabric that you pin to a collar. If you make a cravat you'd have to figure out how long it has to be to wrap around your neck to get the end-length to be how you want it, etc.

...that may be more info than you needed, but hey! Knowing is half the battle lol.

A Seeker of Truth

Diagnosed wrote:
You might find someone hocking a jabot under the term "cravat". These fashion terms seem to be sort of tossed around pretty loosely in the marketplace. (Don't get me started on "ruching"...) Basically you just want to make sure that you have three layers of fabric showing. A cravat can technically only give you two, as it is formed by wrapping a single length of fabric around one's neck like these. No matter how you tie it or what the ends look like, you'll only get two layers.

Hmmm... unless of course you were to sew an extra piece to one of the ends to make it look like three layers. Hah. Actually that could probably work. :godot:

But then at that point, you're trying to match fabric to something pre-bought which can be difficult and time-consuming, so you might want to just make it from scratch ^^;. And at THAT point, the jabbot is actually easier to make. It's just three tiers of ruffled fabric that you pin to a collar. If you make a cravat you'd have to figure out how long it has to be to wrap around your neck to get the end-length to be how you want it, etc.

...that may be more info than you needed, but hey! Knowing is half the battle lol.

Nah, it's much appreciated :phoenix: I've been slightly confused about the terminology- you get a lot more hits for 'cravat' then 'jabot' online and even get some 'cravats' that are actually the latter but people take to be the former- so this helps :phoenix: Now the question will be whether to buy a pre-made jabot or to to make one myself; a pre-made jabot might not fit (unless they're one-size fits all; I have little experience in these matters, so I couldn't tell you which is more likely to be true of the jabot :ron: ) but making one myself could potentially go awry. :ron: Ah well, either way at least I know what I'm getting into; thanks for the advice :trucy:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

A Seeker of Truth

Okay, just did an eBay search and found this. It comes in a white fabric so it COULD work for Edgey, but I don't know if this would be too big or not, or that it isn't quite 'frilly' enough :ron: Sorry to bother you all again, but could I have a second opinion? :ron:

I got someone to make a jabot (of sorts...) for me, but unfortunately I didn't realize that it's way too wide so it's not gonna look like Edgeworth's. Here's a picture:
https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 7560_n.jpg

Not white either... oops. Oh well. After I tried it on, I found out that I couldn't wear it after all.
I'm planning on learning how to sew these things myself so I can wear them often :) Should be fun, I hope. I guess you can look up tutorials online...

(Directed at TC):
So these next few images are of things I found in Taiwan. They're not anything like Edgeworth's cravat/jabot (though I did find an actual cravat in Taiwan, like the ones you see on European sites, didn't take a picture though), but if you want something other than generic neckties (which I strongly dislike, but that's not important here :P ), you can take a look at these:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NGXL ... AG0605.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RwoQ ... AG0610.jpg

I bought one of these and am hoping to learn how to make them myself... somehow.

Hope it's not too off-topic!

P.S. Finally made an account after lurking for years. Hi!
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Cosplay