Board index » Present Evidence » Remix

Page 1 of 1[ 2 posts ]

GS/PW MIDI and the DSTopic%20Title

Hey folks,

This is my first post at the CR forums, it seems like a really cool place! Anyway, I'll save an introductory post for another day.

Basically, I work with MIDI music as a hobby, and have been taken by the GS/PW series. More on that another day also :)

Anyway, I have been extracting the PW music from the GBA and DS roms with a mind to convert them to General MIDI, and maybe enhancing/recording them with some modern synths. (No crazy remixing or butchering, I promise..)
Now, I noticed some MIDI channels, when sent to the soundfont for that individual song (extracted by either GBA Mus riper or VGMTrans), were mute, didn't play. Obviously when routed to my normal MIDI hardware they do play. I think the same applies to the GBA tracks, although they have less channels.
They will also play if the instrument is changed. But why won't they play natively upon extraction?
So question is. Does the DS, like the GBA, have 'old-style' PSG waves that tracker channels are routed to, as well as the 'on-the-fly' wavetable samples games load to the DS?

Regards,
- Spike

EDIT: Some more research shows that known limitations apply when converting a SDAT (?) bank to a DLS or SF2:
* Pulsewave and noise instruments are not converted
* ADSR curves are not converted
* nds files with more than one sdat file will need to be manually unpacked if the first found sdat file is to be converted.
* Sequence specific settings are not converted

So I guess it's the pulsewaves that are missing. Maybe I can replace them with squarewaves and be OK..
Re: GS/PW MIDI and the DSTopic%20Title

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

I can't contribute with technical knowledge, but I'm very interested in what you may find. This is very relevant to my interests.

Do keep us posted, and I hope others can offer their help. And welcome to Court Records! Do check out the Press Conference section and introduce yourself there when you have the time.
Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Remix