Board index » Present Evidence » Remix

Page 1 of 1[ 10 posts ]

How to make a good Pursuit theme?Topic%20Title

Oh right, this was a thing.

I'll just get straight to the point: I'm making a Pursuit theme for my fangame which I'm somehow still doing.
Here's what I have: https://soundcloud.com/ultrawave-studios/a-pursuit-theme-with-potential
There are some problems with it. One of the most obvious being that there are parts which sound more like an Announce the Truth theme than a Pursuit theme, which is definitely something I don't want.

Could I get some tips on this? Thanks.

JUNE 30: https://soundcloud.com/ultrawave-studio ... suit-theme
BETTER: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Ac_ ... kFERi0tOWs
~UltrawaveStudios~

Last edited by UltrawaveStudios on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Re: How to make a good Pursuit theme?Topic%20Title

Alexander James

Lol is that Calm 4 from Minecraft at the beginning?

The track doesn't feel like a Pursuit theme; it feels more like it's crossing between a Logic theme and an Announce the Truth theme. My tip for you is to go a little faster with the theme (somewhere around 150 BPM) and make sure that it fills the listener that Ace Attorney determination. What I mean by this is: You need to make it sound Ace Attorney-ish by adding instruments and styles most Ace Attorney Pursuit themes do. But if you want the song to be unique, I won't stop you. It's also good to add some new things.

Like in the Ace Attorney Pursuit themes, the drums are always active and fast. They're always there, and they're always so lively. Now, I know that in some parts (like the beginning), they had to slow down. But remember, when making a Pursuit theme, NEVER drastically stop the fast drums. Try to listen to some of the Pursuit themes so that you can get some inspiration from them.

In my opinion, the track sounded almost nothing like a Pursuit theme. At the beginning, it's starting to sound like a Pursuit theme, but then the rest of the song blew it. There are many things you can do to change the song and make it sound like a Pursuit theme, but I want you to do it yourself.

Recap: Here are things you have to do:

1. Remove the slow parts. This is a Pursuit theme. It's supposed to be filled with action.
2. Add fast drums. Pursuit themes ALWAYS have fast drums.
3. Go FASTER.
If all of them are happy, then I shall be happy too.

The end of nonsense is near.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

It sounds too much like a main theme to me. I'm no expert on music theory but I have decent intuition and some knowledge. A sure bet is, if you have a regular time signature 4/4, then make the bassdrum hit every beat, have a theme or a melody that repeats across 4 bars or more but with every repeat the bass notes change in a progressive order so it runs up or down a scale. Keep it grounded in the root note (sorry I suck at these terms) for maybe 2 repeats and then progress it consequetively in the next to bars or something like that.

Then, typically you'll want some sort of breakdown once the melody has been going for a while. Now I'm not a fan of Iwadare's style of beating around the bush with a solo or modulating it over and over like in T&T or Dual Destinies, but I like how the one in AJAA keeps it steady but then when it breaks down the bass stops for 2 bars and you get this thin feeling as the interlude theme plays, and then it builds up with a lot of aggression as the bassdrum beats faster and faster, first in single beats, then 8ths and then 16ths and the song starts over.

Here's a pursuit theme I made a couple of years ago. The way the chords are written is fucked so it sounds a little off, but I thought it was a great theme for when you're about to ram all your evidence into your foe ;)

Enjoy: https://soundcloud.com/asbj-rn-sand-ras ... t-captured

Like I mentioned, it builds up and repeats the melody as the chords change progressively and it works basically. It has two buildups and two verses where one's melody is a variation lifted an octave.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Oh right, this was a thing.

Back with a better theme, but I still need help >~<
https://soundcloud.com/ultrawave-studio ... suit-theme

And a maybe-maybe not better version as of 7:23 PM EST
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Ac_ ... kFERi0tOWs
~UltrawaveStudios~

Alexander James

That seems more like it.
Also, I noticed that the music is a bit off-key. You might wanna fix it.
If all of them are happy, then I shall be happy too.

The end of nonsense is near.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

I made this in three days:
https://soundcloud.com/darksh4dy/pursuit-the-battle-is-over

And a variation:
https://soundcloud.com/darksh4dy/pursuit-the-battle-is-over-1
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I wish I had some talent at composing music like you guys do!
I didn't know where to put this but I was thinking that a Pursuit theme with a shamisen and a bamboo flute break would sound good.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

I've been making music for two years now. I've just finished a Cross-Examination, Confess the Truth, two Objection themes, and an Investigation ~ Core. That Pursuit theme was probably one of my best tracks.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Just an Ace Attorney fan.

You guys are AWESOME! Man, I wanna learn to compose music, but I have nothing to start with... :sadshoe:

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I really like the pursuit you made, Yash. Aside from one little mistake during the solo everything sounds very good and I really like the hook and main rhythm of it :)
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Remix