Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 13 of 18[ 690 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next

Re: What Are You Reading Now?Topic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Chloe wrote:
Case Closed Manga is really enjoyable. I've never watched it's anime counterpart.

Something keeps drawing me back to A Game Of Thrones. I've been rereading a lot of scenes, especially the ones with Dany in them. I've only got the first book in ASOFAI and Seasons 1 + 2. I've been exposed to spoilers, but they don't bother me.

I'm sorely tempted to stop reading at this point. Think I'm at book 4 now but it just seems like more sorrow and more sorrow with very little enjoyment to come out of it. At a certain point you just need to ask "Why put up with this?"
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Reading the latest chapter of One Piece. I just wanna see Don flamingo get his ass kicked already! >.<

The cape is self-fluttering

Pierre wrote:
Chloe wrote:
Case Closed Manga is really enjoyable. I've never watched it's anime counterpart.

Something keeps drawing me back to A Game Of Thrones. I've been rereading a lot of scenes, especially the ones with Dany in them. I've only got the first book in ASOFAI and Seasons 1 + 2. I've been exposed to spoilers, but they don't bother me.

I'm sorely tempted to stop reading at this point. Think I'm at book 4 now but it just seems like more sorrow and more sorrow with very little enjoyment to come out of it. At a certain point you just need to ask "Why put up with this?"

It does seem like the bad guys are constantly winning... but that's not exactly true. Though honestly, if you're looking for a happy ending with rainbows, I wouldn't hold my breath. Could happen, but I don't think it's GRRM's style.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Gettin' Old!

Sierra Mikain wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Chloe wrote:

It does seem like the bad guys are constantly winning... but that's not exactly true. Though honestly, if you're looking for a happy ending with rainbows, I wouldn't hold my breath. Could happen, but I don't think it's GRRM's style.

Yeah well, it's not so much a matter of bad guys winning all the time (that happens too) but it's more the interesting and good characters are really dwindling that bothers me so much.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The video game boy; the one who wins

I'm reading Jenny Valentine's Double for the uhm third time now. However considering the hassle I went through to find the hardback edition I wanted and ordering it from America (long story short, the same edition was available on a local web bookstore, but just when I was about to order it had vanished from the face of Earth, or well, Sweden, so I decided to track it down out of pure stubbornness) I'd better make use of it now that it has arrived.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

I'm reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. I wasn't sure what I'd think of it when I first started, but it's actually really good. Mystery stories really appeal to me. :basil:

[Whip the cream!]

I've completely savouring The last temptation of Christ, which is very unusual for the fast and avid reader that is me, and it's been like eating tiny, wonderful macarons.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

I recently read two manga. Well, one re-read.
The first was called "Darwin's Game". Think Battle Royale, but within the city and only participants of a game take part. Also, people apparently get turned into matter and leave behind polygon dents. (Maybe it's cause I'm suspicious to begin with, but I think I would stay CLEAR AWAY from a game that calls itself Darwin's Game... I mean. Darwin. Darwin Award. And such.)

The re-read one was Seigi no Mikata/Ally of Justice. The manga is about a girl's sister who is a total demon and is actually rude and terrible, but her actions always end up well for other people, be it small things like a girl not getting groped by perverts on her way to school (by following a tip from Sumiko) or to bigger things like accidentally getting an arsonist or criminal arrested.

C-A

Currently reading the 2nd volume of Sword Art Online.

Almost finished...I really enjoyed reading the female blacksmith chapters.

[Whip the cream!]

Christ recrucified by Nikos Kazantzakis, about some people getting affected by their parts in a passion play. Damn, I love the way Kazantzakis writes. Or, well, wrote.

Future Diplomat

I'm currently reading Shinrei Tantei Yakumo (light novel) by Kaminaga Manabu :edgey:

I'm reading about African religions and punk music.

[Whip the cream!]

Ohh, interesting!

I'm reading Iago by David Snodin, but I'm not very satisfied. I've read 134 pages and so far it's just about some Italian guys I don't really care about going on with their lives and mentioning Iago now and then. And Snodin is throwing in some Italian words in places that seem absolutely random. "Pour me a hot bagno." I know that the novel takes place in Italy and that they speak Italian there! Right before it I read I, Iago by Nicole Galland, and that novel was so much closer to what I looked for. I had my problems with that book too, but it was a really enjoyable read nevertheless.

迷探偵

About halfway through Sophie Hannah's The Monogram Murders, the new official Poirot mystery (not written by Christie, but approved by the Christie estate). I have seen some positive reviews, but no way does this book feel like a real Poirot mystery. Christie never wrote no unneccesary roundabout plots, her narration was never so boring nor did her characters angst over dead bodies or whatever the new fad in Mystery Land nowadays is. And Poirot does not even behave as Poirot! As if he would voluntary go to a boarding house to rest his little grey cells! As if he would enjoy a good cup of coffee at small coffeeshop! I'll finish the story, but I think it will have to perform wonders in the last half to invoke the genuine Christie spirit.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

An Enigma Among Humans

The Great Gatsby. I'm loving it.

迷探偵

Finished The Monogram Murders, which was quite disappointing. Poirot seems more like a caricature of himself half of the time, the narrator Catchpool is probably the most imbecilic assistant Poirot has ever had (and a Scotland Yard detective too!) and the plot is plain chaos that depends on everyone involved behaving in the most unbelievable ways just so the premise of the book (three murders committed at three different floors of a hotel) can come true. Absolutely can not see why some reviews say this is 1) Christie-like, 2) a worthy new entry Poirot boo or 3) even a good mystery novel.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Long Stories. I'm trying again, this is my second attempt getting into Sherlock - and I just started the first one, Study In Scarlet.

C-A

迷探偵

I've read the original Sherlock Holmes stories for over 15 years probably. Most of them several times. But I have never, ever made it through the complete second half of A Study in Scarlet. I systematically skip that part to go the epilogue whenever I read Study (I don't do that with The Valley of Fear, which has a similar structure, strangely enough).

[Whip the cream!]

I'm reading a couple of books. I'm completely infatuated with Ramones (that is, more than I use to), so I'm reading On the road with the Ramones by Monte A. Melnick and Frank Meyer. It's a glossy interview book with a lot of photographs, so it's, like, side reading or something. Very entertaining. Dee Dee Ramone humped everything that moved and Johnny Ramone threw stones at the Beatles. And another Ramones-book; Poison Heart -Surviving the Ramones (the 'murrican version is called Lobotomy, first I thought it was two separate books, so I'm glad I didn't bought both of them. It's written by Dee Dee Ramone and I love it. He's so angry-laconic, so very Dee Dee.

I'm also reading, and that's... quite out of character for me, a collection of short stories by Stephen King, Everything's eventual. I read some King (or a lot) when I was about 11-15, and since I liked 1408 I reread that novel and decided to read the collection. Some are good, some are bad. Like I expected.

迷探偵

Finished Kishi Yuusuke's Aku no Kyouten / Lesson of the Evil. Starts out like a GTO-esque school drama, with a teacher solving problems around school. Only thing: Hasumi is actually a psychopath and his method of dealing with problems often involves rather ruthless methods. And then some of his pupils start to think that he might be responsible for all those weird accidents and deaths lately, so Hasumi decides to kill of his entire class so he can start anew. With a shotgun. Yes, it's horror.

It's a mystery to me how this book won several detective fiction prizes in Japan though, considering it's just bloody horror. I attended a lecture by Kishi Yuusuke back in 2012 on violence in media, in which he often referred to this book as an example, which is why I bought it. It's an okay novel with a touch of Battle Royale, but it's not really my genre.

A live-action film directed by Miike Takashi (of the Ace Attorney film) was released in 2012, and it's also out in the States apparently under the grammatically more correct Lesson of Evil (trailer).

迷探偵

Finished the latest winner of the Mephisto Award, Marumarumarumarumarumarumarumaru Satsujin Jiken (The ???????? Murder Case) by Hayasaka Yabusaka (the Mephisto Award is a mystery/science fiction newcomer prize of major publisher Kodansha). Like so many Mephisto Award winners before it, an interesting, if flawed mystery novel. The set-up (a group of people on an isolated island. Murder) is fairly orthodox, but the solution to the mystery was okay and I doubt I will forget this one soon (even if the hints leading to the solution weren't strong enough) and the concept of a whatsthetitle (you have to guess the title before the last line in the book) is original, but the execution is a bit weak. The narration tries a bit too hard at being funny and meta though.

Well, I was reading The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, but it was so boring I gave it up. It just felt like a lesser version of The Woman in White.

I recognise it created a lot of the major tropes for detective novels, but I felt The Woman in White used many of the same tropes earlier and better.
Re: What Are You Reading NowTopic%20Title

Ultimate Troll

Puella Magi Madoka Magica Manga.
Welcome.... to the velvet room...

ImageImage

Our friends in Paradiso are far too quiet...

Finished the latest chapter of Qualia The Purple (Murasakiirio no Qualia)
I recommend this manga (based on a novel) to everyone. It starts off lighthearted, but quickly gets dark. It's Slice of Life that quickly ends up in the Sci-Fi genre. Also has some Yuri elements in it, for those who are interested. But it's never so much yuri that it's flat out... you know, 18+ years old. Quite interesting, actually.

C-A

Hm, last time I wrote in this thread I read about punk music and African religions; now I'm reading about rock music and latinamerican religions instead.

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

I'm reading 50 Shades of Grey, because I don't really know what to do with my life so I thought the story about a pretty lady and a really handsome guy would help me what to do with my life, like putting up a few goals or something like that sigh

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw

Mary Faraday wrote:
I'm reading 50 Shades of Grey, because I don't really know what to do with my life so I thought the story about a pretty lady and a really handsome guy would help me what to do with my life, like putting up a few goals or something like that sigh

Please tell me you're being sarcastic, ironic or anything with this that is not in any way associated with being serious...

C-A

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

CatMuto wrote:
Mary Faraday wrote:

Please tell me you're being sarcastic, ironic or anything with this that is not in any way associated with being serious...

C-A

I was being ironic. When you study a lot like me, a lot of weird things are coming out of your brain and then anything you say doesn't make sense at all. But I'm being ironic 90 percent of my life, so that's nothing new.

I'm giving 7 Seeds another shot. I once read the first two chapters and gave up.

C-A

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

Reading Another right now. Such a great manga, I fell in love with the art style when I first read it.

Mary Faraday wrote:
Reading Another right now. Such a great manga, I fell in love with the art style when I first read it.

Mei's appearance influenced my Yuu's appearance.

C-A

Reading Gintama from where I left off. I haven't read it in forever so I'm catching back up to the latest chapter.

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

Threw out all my mangas from the bookshelf and read them all. Probably about 30-40, not sure haha :godot:

I'm fed up with manga at the moment, swear.

Gettin' Old!

Magneto 1: Infamous

It's interesting when the protagonist is not above brutally killing people with rusty nails and torturing scientists with paper clips. :ron:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Recently finished my first Dorothy L Sayers "Lord Wimsey" book: Strong Poison.
Didn't really like it. Same problem I have with Ace Attorney, she spent way too much time having her characters use a whole bunch of words to end up saying nothing at all, and it was going at a crawling space with background stuff going on, prolonging things even more. Also, seances and stuff like that added in at the later part? Dumb.

Now I'm reading my first Stephen King book, "Dr Sleep" which is a sequel to The Shining.
And I am happy to see Danny became a total loser.

C-A

迷探偵

I think I only liked the first and last chapters (parts?) of Strong Poison; the idea of the mystery is okay, but I usually can't stand Lord Peter for longer than a couple of pages. Whose Body? and the short stories are okay though, and Nine Tailors, though again way too long and winding, has a pretty awesome and gruesome death.

Last read: Robert van Gulik's The Red Pavilion (an okay entry in the Judge Dee series. Disappointing locked room mystery but good setting), Kuroiwa Ruiko's Muzan ("In Cold Blood", the very first original Japanese detective story in existance. Not bad, but its merits lie more in its historical value than as a piece of detective fiction) and William DeAndrea's The Hog Murders (Quite famous for being a succesful marriage between the serial killer story and a puzzle plot. Reminds a bit of Ellery Queen's Cat of Many Tails, also in the sense that they're great mystery novels) and Anthony Berkeley's Roger Sheringham and the Vane Mystery (as always with Berkeley and Roger Sheringham, a great detective novel with parody elements, though a bit tame compared to other books in the series like Jumping Jenny and The Poisoned Chocolates Case)

Love. Lost. Elegy.

I'm currently reading a lot of mangas. There are a lot which can be easily read on my iPad because I do not have them in paper form. I don't like buying manga, knowing that I won't read it again after the first time.
Jesse Pinkman: What if we can rip off that train, and no one ever knows it got robbed?

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

Cann Kelly wrote:
I'm currently reading a lot of mangas. There are a lot which can be easily read on my iPad because I do not have them in paper form. I don't like buying manga, knowing that I won't read it again after the first time.

Yeah, as for me, I hate myself when I buy a lot of mangas as a book and then it's just there in the bookshelf and I want to slap myself for doing something so dumb because I easily know that I won't read it again. I feel you mate, I feel you.

Back to topic: I'm currently reading some articles on wikipedia because why not. :godot:

Currently reading Daily life of highschool boys and I love it xD

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

Okay, no more reading for me. I'd rather study lmao