Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 17 of 39[ 1554 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 39  Next

Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?βTopic%20Title

Quote:
People who do so tend to offer it to their friends and loved ones, usually as a bonding ritual.

Of course, this comes back to the factor of choice. Sure, if a friend offers their friend a cigarette, it's the other's choice on whether they accept it or don't. Of course, this also goes into peer pressure because there are people out there who actually care about this stuff and are willing to go against their own morals and standards to "fit in"... but I will not open that can, because I think it's... silly.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

dimentiorules wrote:
Here in Canada, we already have a smoking ban for all public places, this includes all public buildings as well as gas stations, bus stops, airports, University Campuses, and more. It's also illegal to smoke in a vehicle with a child under the age of 16. We've had this ban since about 2004.

Damn Canada just keeps getting better and better.

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
People who do so tend to offer it to their friends and loved ones, usually as a bonding ritual.

Of course, this comes back to the factor of choice. Sure, if a friend offers their friend a cigarette, it's the other's choice on whether they accept it or don't. Of course, this also goes into peer pressure because there are people out there who actually care about this stuff and are willing to go against their own morals and standards to "fit in"... but I will not open that can, because I think it's... silly.

C-A

Cat saying something " is silly" is basically opening that can of worms y'know? You shouldn't say you are going to leave something alone and then state your opinion in it. Its contradictory.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

dimentiorules wrote:
Here in Canada, we already have a smoking ban for all public places, this includes all public buildings as well as gas stations, bus stops, airports, University Campuses, and more. It's also illegal to smoke in a vehicle with a child under the age of 16. We've had this ban since about 2004.

...well time to pack up out of this hell hole called USA and move my ass to Canada xD

@Pierre: Cat's problem is she doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut when she knows it's gonna get her in trouble or start a argument.

Last edited by Church Of Sumire on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre wrote:
Cat saying something " is silly" is basically opening that can of worms y'know? You shouldn't say you are going to leave something alone and then state your opinion in it. Its contradictory.

I was trying to lessen the impact by substituting my actual wanted to use word with a lesser one.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I was trying to lessen the impact by substituting my actual wanted to use word with a lesser one.

C-A

:ron: Still not really leaving the subject alone.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Art Person

Pierre wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

C-A

:ron: Still not really leaving the subject alone.

I understand where Cat's coming from though, she's not wanting to ignite the issue more (than it could have) by using a stronger word. But I can also get how the topic she brought up can cause some tension. The whole issue of peer-pressure took me a long time to understand the other side of. (My initial view was that if you know it's wrong, how could you possibly go ahead with it?) But now, after experiencing it, (small things like missing a lecture to go with friends) you feel compelled to keep your good face with those you identify with, and so you end up following them without realising it and you, with those thoughts affecting you, choose to do the action you know isn't right. (I got a bit analytic there :athena: ) I realise I'm probably saying the wrong thing.(I also have difficulties talking, especially online, I have no way of knowing people's reactions to things unless they're obvious :meekins: )

dimentiorules wrote:

I remember when visiting New Zealand, we were told that smoking would be phased out by 2020 there, to have a smoke-free country. I'm wondering what the repercussions are for that. If the majority are fine with it, and don't really smoke, then I guess it's a smart move.

I personally find peer pressure and giving into it to be... silly, because really, why betray your own morals and standards just to please some people for a while? You're the one that's gonna suffer and, really, if the people get angry with you or hate you because you decide to not give into the pressure (ie in this case, smoke a cigarette when you don't want to) you should stay away from them to begin with.

C-A

You know, a Mario game!

CatMuto wrote:
I personally find peer pressure and giving into it to be... silly, because really, why betray your own morals and standards just to please some people for a while? You're the one that's gonna suffer and, really, if the people get angry with you or hate you because you decide to not give into the pressure (ie in this case, smoke a cigarette when you don't want to) you should stay away from them to begin with.

C-A

I agree with you there. As much as I disagree with some of your views, we're actually kind of similar in a few ways. I was always told, ever since I was a kid, that if your friend tries to get you to do something that will harm you, like smoking, then they're not your real friend. Of course, some people really value their reputation, and care deeply about their image and what people think of them. I'm not one of those people, and I can't really empathize with them, but I'm not going to call them stupid or anything.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Replacing letters with numbers. This results in me pronouncing the numbers as numbers regardless. For example: Driv3r is Drivthreer

MBr wrote:
Replacing letters with numbers. This results in me pronouncing the numbers as numbers regardless. For example: Driv3r is Drivthreer

You need to learn to read 1337.

C-A

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I'm fine with 1337 5P34|< for some reason though.

In Justice We Trust

MBr wrote:

ШНЗИ УФU SРЗДК ЯUSSIДИ, ТНIS IS Д ИIGНТМДЯЗ ТФ ЯЗДD.

What you see:

WHEN YOU SPEAK RUSSIAN, THIS IS A NIGHTMARE TO READ.

What I see:

SHNZI UFU SRZDK YAUSSIDI, TNIS IS D IIGNTMDYAZ TF YAZDD.
I'll always love you, Max.

Stepladders are a type of ladder so.....

CatMuto wrote:

C-A

Well a lot of factors play into peer pressure including the circumstances. Maybe the person is worried about getting physically hurt if they don't do what the other person wants, it's not impossible. That's not to say that there isn't people just betraying their own morals to fit in. In fact, I'd say it's the majority of the time, I'm just trying to point out that it's not always like that.

EmeraldKaruma wrote:
Well a lot of factors play into peer pressure including the circumstances. Maybe the person is worried about getting physically hurt if they don't do what the other person wants, it's not impossible. That's not to say that there isn't people just betraying their own morals to fit in. In fact, I'd say it's the majority of the time, I'm just trying to point out that it's not always like that.

Despite that being a possibility, I'd ask more why the hell this person is even hanging out with such people... :ron:

C-A

Enoshima Junko-chan!

That is the logical answer, but when one wants to earn the acceptance and approval of others, they may make the decision to betray their judgment for that reason.

Everybody will find themselves in this situation eventually.

CatMuto wrote:
EmeraldKaruma wrote:

Despite that being a possibility, I'd ask more why the hell this person is even hanging out with such people... :ron:

C-A

Appearances can be deceiving. Especially the age group that peer pressure seems to get hold of the most: naïve teenagers. People can act like your best friend one second then act like worst enemy the next.

EmeraldKaruma wrote:
People can act like your best friend one second then act like worst enemy the next.

Which is exactly why it takes a long time for me to consider someone my friend and why I'm so suspicious of everyone for a while. And even then, I wouldn't trust someone I call a Friend immediately over everything, either.

C-A

High level play

EmeraldKaruma wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

C-A

Although resorting to violence because of ignoring peer pressure is definitely bad, peer pressure isn't always negative. Shy people can be pushed out of their comfort zone and experience things they normally wouldn't (like pressuring a friend to talk to a pretty girl). It can also result into hilarious situations (like convincing a friend to do a shot upside down but he accidentally pours the drink into his own nose instead of his mouth). It all depends on the friends you're with though and knowing which lines shouldn't be crossed.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

Gettin' Old!

Sjibbey wrote:
EmeraldKaruma wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

C-A

Although resorting to violence because of ignoring peer pressure is definitely bad, peer pressure isn't always negative. Shy people can be pushed out of their comfort zone and experience things they normally wouldn't (like pressuring a friend to talk to a pretty girl). It can also result into hilarious situations (like convincing a friend to do a shot upside down but he accidentally pours the drink into his own nose instead of his mouth). It all depends on the friends you're with though and knowing which lines shouldn't be crossed.

I'm going to get a massive "No Fun" stamp on my head for this but situations like that latter one are exactly the kinda horrible decisions I hate from peer pressure. The first one would just make the person uncomfortable and dislike their friends for blackmailing them into something (as the friends would think less of them as a coward), I've been on that side of the fence before.

I get what you mean but I'd say peer pressure from "interventions" is the good kind if someone is really into some kinda self-destructive behaviour because support from friends and family can really help someone on the road to recovery.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

High level play

Pierre wrote:
I'm going to get a massive "No Fun" stamp on my head for this but situations like that latter one are exactly the kinda horrible decisions I hate from peer pressure. The first one would just make the person uncomfortable and dislike their friends for blackmailing them into something (as the friends would think less of them as a coward), I've been on that side of the fence before.

I get what you mean but I'd say peer pressure from "interventions" is the good kind if someone is really into some kinda self-destructive behaviour because support from friends and family can really help someone on the road to recovery.

I know that you look down on this kind of behavior and in general I would even agree with you. Pressuring people to drink is bad and the same goes for forcing people out of their comfort zone. But that doesn't apply to all people, which is why I mentioned the examples in my personal social circle. In my case it's all in good fun and we respect our friends when they say no (although they will have to repeat that answer multiple times). It's a fine line to walk on since you can't predict the point where you cross that line.
Anyway maybe I used the wrong examples to prove my point. What I tried to say was: peer pressure can be used with good intentions. Whether it is to help someone or to have a good time together.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

CatMuto wrote:
EmeraldKaruma wrote:
People can act like your best friend one second then act like worst enemy the next.

Which is exactly why it takes a long time for me to consider someone my friend and why I'm so suspicious of everyone for a while. And even then, I wouldn't trust someone I call a Friend immediately over everything, either.

C-A

I see your point. However, there are some people who may not have many people to call 'friends.' So when someone comes along and acts like they want to be their friend, the person will get exited and latch on to the other without thinking of the consequences. I'll admit it: I'm one of those people. Usually I keep to myself but when someone seems welcoming and easy to talk to, I'll follow them like a mindless sheep. It's a flaw that I really need to work on, but it's a flaw that isn't that uncommon.

aka Ami <3

Expecting something the days and hours beforehand. I've been on full hype mode for days, and I just found out that the stream doesn't start at noon like I had thought: it starts at 1 pm EST.

So I have the rest of this hour to fill, and it feels impossible to do so. :adrian:

Gettin' Old!

I opened a topic to discuss the Scottish Referendum on another forum because I was interested in seeing the sway (as well as providing more information for people undecided). Someone called for it to be shut on the grounds it's just too argumentative and can't possibly be discussed in a civil manner :sadshoe:

I mean come on folks, at least give it a shot.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Ace Explorer

genodragon1 wrote:
Expecting something the days and hours beforehand. I've been on full hype mode for days, and I just found out that the stream doesn't start at noon like I had thought: it starts at 1 pm EST.

So I have the rest of this hour to fill, and it feels impossible to do so. :adrian:

For me, 1 PM EST is noon...

Whee, CST!
Well? Are we going or what?

EmeraldKaruma wrote:
I see your point. However, there are some people who may not have many people to call 'friends.' So when someone comes along and acts like they want to be their friend, the person will get exited and latch on to the other without thinking of the consequences. I'll admit it: I'm one of those people. Usually I keep to myself but when someone seems welcoming and easy to talk to, I'll follow them like a mindless sheep. It's a flaw that I really need to work on, but it's a flaw that isn't that uncommon.

I am a person who doesn't have many friends. Like I said, it takes a lot of time and effort for me to call someone my friend. Most of the people on this forum? I'd be more inclined to call y'all "friendly acquaintances", which is a step to the friend part.

But I overall don't mind not having many friends. I got burned a bit too often when I was younger and still very impressionable and a complete moron. I learned from that. And I mostly think, well, if they try to change me in ways that I really don't want to (because I doubt it would change anything about my world view or personality) I shouldn't bother hanging with them anymore. (If it were something, like, trying to change something about my diet to be healthier, sure, I'll give it a shot... unless they try to make me eat red meat. Which is impossible for me)

Quote:
I mean come on folks, at least give it a shot.

I don't really have anything to say about that topic... except the ads I've seen for it on Sky, where they cut and edit together words to create lyrics for Queen's "I want to break Free" or Taylor Swift's "We're never ever getting back together". It's so sweet and funny.

C-A

I hate it when people try to set me against someone they have a personal feud with. Actually, I hate it when people create groups to badmouth or persecute someone (that is my berserk button), regardless if I like the victim or not... I just see it as a cowardly act, a consequence of stupid herd mentality.

"Herp derp I don't like this person, so I need to set everyone I know against them because I want to make them feel socially rejected"

*sigh* I'm really pissed right now.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

When people say driving race cars is easy and that racing is not a sport.

IT'S NOT AND IT IS

MBr wrote:

IT'S NOT AND IT IS

It's still a dumb thing to do or watch. All you're doing in such races is drive in a stupid circle over and over. Whoo, how exciting to watch.

C-A

I've felt worse.

CatMuto wrote:
MBr wrote:

IT'S NOT AND IT IS

It's still a dumb thing to do or watch. All you're doing in such races is drive in a stupid circle over and over. Whoo, how exciting to watch.

C-A

Clearly you've never seen the Nürburgring Nordschleife.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

You know what really grinds my gears? Those stupid online-application forms.

They never work well for me. Either there's something wrong with their coding, keeping me from adding in more than one work place experience, which is incomplete information and can be seen as false, given the CV I give them as well. Or they ask "Do you have training in a certain job position?" and I click "Yes" cause I have training as a cosmetician. Well, what kind of job was it? And then I'm offered stuff like IT-Tech, Sales, Office Secretary, Office Bookkeeping, Delivery, etc, etc, nothing that really seems to say Cosmetician. So I have to pick a more vague response of "Sales (Other)".

Then I also have to draft a cover letter for this. What do you care about a cover letter when you have a Form that practically tells you every detail, as well as the added documents that are my CV and credentials? You don't need a cover letter. You wanna know what I'm like, screw the cover letter and call me in for an interview to begin with.

Or I can't give you all my credentials, because you only allow so many things to be submitted. And this includes the space for CV and school certificate. And the optional part of uploading a picture of myself - which I find dumb because, well, I have a picture of myself on my CV.

C-A

High level play

I wasn't sure if this was incidental, but now I can confirm it with my 2nd internship: Companies suck at providing proper information for interns.

Note that I'm not doing a practical internship where you work way below minimal wage for a company simply for experience and to build your resume, but I have an external role which needs to advise the company on how to solve a difficult problem or how to improve certain areas. Either way I'm going to need as much information as possible on and around the subject to deliver the best possible advice. So if you ask me to make back-office procedures more efficient (same amount of work possible in less time) YOU'RE AT LEAST GOING TO HAVE TO TELL ME WHAT PROCEDURES YOU WANT IMPROVED AND GIVE ME ACCESS TO SOMETHING THAT EXPLAINS HOW THEY WORK.

Jeez, I get that there is confidentiality on certain information, but making me wait for 2 weeks on VITAL information to even get started is just absurd. Luckily for me my school is a stickler for planning, describing your work process and source indexing so I've managed to keep myself busy over the past 2 weeks. Bureaucracy? more like... bureaucrazy!

The Real Human Being

You know what really grinds my gears?

Shitty online names

People who need to have a bunch of RANDOM numbers in their name at the front OR back.

Now, before you number names get mad, I have a very specific reason to dislike this.

When you're talking to someone online, in a game where TIME is of the essence
I should NOT need to type 152423 to get your attention
My Online name is DoMaya, you need to get me attention? Do! or Maya! or DOM!
But 123J@CK213 holy shit if I didn't look twice I wouldn't know what to call you.
Now I understand you all want to be "Jock" or "Jack" or whatever the hell your name is, and in most cases you will be forgiven!
But do not
I repeat do NOT
Give me shit for mispronouncing (or mistyping) your illegible fucking name.
"I have a stupid name for a reason hurr I want you to SAY ET!"
Mister 2312DKn1ghtxxX you are now "Retard"
If you hear me saying "RETARD" at any given time during this match it is YOU I am referring to.

Now, numbers are one thing.. And if you're a decent player I will refrain from making fun of you.
But there is an even GREATER sin in naming your online character.
One that bothers me to no end (And I WILL call you out on it)

If you have "AZN", "GIRL, GURL (Or anything that implies your gender, male or female)" or "420" in your name...
You are officially so BORING a person that the only thing you identify with is the fact that you're Asian, have a vagina, WANT ATTENTION FOR HAVING A VAGINA, or need to have a cannabis enema to have any fun.

I'm not telling you you can't have an identity online, I'm telling you to ACTUALLY express who you are with your fucking name, or at LEAST have a decent story behind it.
You know what my online names are?

DoMaya (most common, a combination of my old online name with Mai Waifu)
DoMayoi (less often, was to be used in the off chance that some JACKASS took DoMaya)
Ubrig (Used for more serious Roleplays, is also my default FPS character name. IF the "account name" cannot be the same as the "character name" then Ubrig is my first choice.)
Iamodd (I Am Odd, Aye Am Odd, Ay Am Od ayaMoD DoMaya)

Heaven forbid the day I see an "132AzNgAYMERGURL420Xx"

High level play

DoMaya wrote:
If you have "AZN", "GIRL, GURL (Or anything that implies your gender, male or female)" or "420" in your name...
You are officially so BORING a person that the only thing you identify with is the fact that you're Asian, have a vagina, WANT ATTENTION FOR HAVING A VAGINA, or need to have a cannabis enema to have any fun.

> Implying that 420 isn't directly related to MLG level of gameplay
> Domaya is clearly a scrub #rekt

The Real Human Being

Sjibbey wrote:
DoMaya wrote:

> Implying that 420 isn't directly related to MLG level of gameplay
> DoMaya is clearly a scrub #rekt

Noscope 1v1 me m8, I rek yo ass.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

"You password must have at least 8 characters, one number, one capital, and one lowercase letter."

Dammit this makes remembering passwords harder

In Justice We Trust

You know what really grinds my gears? People trying to shoehorn party politics into things that have nothing to do with politics. Article on someone miraculously coughing up a cancerous lump and being cured? Cue "If only America would cough up the cancer that is Obama" comments. Clip from The Hunchback of Notre Dame during which Phoebus attempts to rally the Parisians? Cue someone in the comments copying his speech, but replacing "Frollo" with "Obama" and all of Frollo's actions with some of Obama's policies. And while it's easier to find right-wing examples at the moment, the far left was just as bad back during Bush's presidency and you can still find left-wing examples nowadays, too. If the article/video/whatever is actually about politics, sure, rant all you want, but if political comments are irrelevant, please shut your partisan yap.
I'll always love you, Max.

The cape is self-fluttering

General Luigi wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? People trying to shoehorn party politics into things that have nothing to do with politics. Article on someone miraculously coughing up a cancerous lump and being cured? Cue "If only America would cough up the cancer that is Obama" comments. Clip from The Hunchback of Notre Dame during which Phoebus attempts to rally the Parisians? Cue someone in the comments copying his speech, but replacing "Frollo" with "Obama" and all of Frollo's actions with some of Obama's policies. And while it's easier to find right-wing examples at the moment, the far left was just as bad back during Bush's presidency and you can still find left-wing examples nowadays, too. If the article/video/whatever is actually about politics, sure, rant all you want, but if political comments are irrelevant, please shut your partisan yap.

This is one of the reasons why I tend to not read any comments for MSN stories while at work. People who go out of their way just to say nasty shit (especially off-topic) aren't worth the time. And it says a lot more about them than whoever they're criticizing.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

General Luigi wrote:

I'm just gear-grinded when they blame everything on one guy. Especially the president. Because we all know none of the other presidents EVER made bad moves.

C-A

You know, a Mario game!

MBr wrote:
"You password must have at least 8 characters, one number, one capital, and one lowercase letter."

Dammit this makes remembering passwords harder

What I do in those situations is simply capitalize the first letter of my normal password and add a 1 to the end of it.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

Gettin' Old!

Apathy, that lack of passion for anything is infuriating to me. Also the idea that it's 'silly' to be emotional and passionate about something.

I want a society where people can get fired up like Robin Newman without eyerolls and dismissals.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Page 17 of 39 [ 1554 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 39  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices