Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 267 of 267[ 10648 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 263, 264, 265, 266, 267

Re: What are you playing now?Topic%20Title

I've felt worse.

Since I don't have a Switch, I figured I'd get the Android port of The World Ends With You. Can't say I'm a fan of the revamped partner system, or how the boss of Day 3 was translated to a single screen, or using rapid-tap input for certain pins (ow), but the rest of the game is intact so far, and the new music is nice.

Also attempting the DLC modes for A Hat in Time and Hollow Knight, and when the hell did these games get so difficult?
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Close enough...

@Sumguy I always found Hollow Knight kinda tricky. I mean I got the switch version which came with the DLC so I'm not fully aware of what counts as DLC but yeah it's a pretty challenging game.

And the iOS port of TWEWY was super disappointing because of how they announced it. Square enix is terrible at marketing.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

I've felt worse.

Oh, I'm aware. I first beat TWEWY while that countdown was still going on, and a younger me was so hyped to beat it just in time for a sequel. And then we got a port. Woot.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Does the switch version of TWEWY have any bonus content?
Click on the picture below.

Close enough...

Southern Corn wrote:
Does the switch version of TWEWY have any bonus content?

It has an extra day.

Apparently something to do with the mysterious girl who popped up at the very end of the iOS port.

What I'm really hoping for is that it'll tease into a sequel.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Oh, huh. Intriguing.

If it doesn't tie into anything else though I'll be disappointed. Probably like everyone else was when the iOS port was announced.
Click on the picture below.

In Justice We Trust

Still on Europa Universalis IV. After finishing up my Roman playthrough, I decided to play "tall" as Scotland. It took an alliance with France and the conquest of most of Ireland (sorry, guys, but when England's your neighbor, it's conquer or be conquered), but I was able to unite the British Isles under Scottish rule. As an added bonus, I got the Faroe Islands, Iceland, Greenland, and every island in the Caribbean. Since I wasn't especially interested in conquest in this playthrough, I didn't finish with the top score, but I was still satisfied. I'm now playing as Korea for a change of pace. With Japan stuck in the Sengoku era, I was able to expand northward, as well as into the Pacific, without fear of being invaded when my troops were busy. Eventually, I turned my attention to Japan, gradually conquering it. I forget when exactly, but there came a point in the 17th Century when I decided I was done paying tribute to Ming China (since I conquered Manchuria, the Qing never had a chance to materialize). Needless to say, they were not pleased. It took some save-scumming, but I eventually was able to fight them to a stalemate and convince them to agree to a white peace. Still, that was the end of good relations with the Chinese. Subsequent wars with them have been more successful in that I was able to actually get territorial concessions out of them, but it was still slow going. It's 1706 now and my current truce with China is about to expire. Their army outnumbers mine (not that that's anything new), but my army is more disciplined, better-equipped, better-trained, and has spent the past five years preparing for this moment while my enemy has foolishly started a war elsewhere. I wonder how they'll be able to get all those troops in the Americas home if all their transports are underwater...

Update: It took six years and I depleted my reserves over the course of the war, but Ming was crushed.

Postgame update: While the old imperial family controls a few holdout territories in far-flung colonies, it is widely agreed that the Empire of Great Ming is no more. In its place stands the Empire of Great Joseon. In addition to all of the land Ming originally controlled, Joseon and its client states control Japan, the Kurils, Sakhalin, Manchuria (including Primorye), Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines, several small islands in the Indian Ocean, every island that Indonesia controls (be it partially or completely) in our timeline, and every island in the Pacific save for the Galápagos and several islands along the coast of the Americas.

Close enough...

Time for another review!

Read Only Memories: 2064

So I picked up this game off of PS+ having heard some decent stuff about it in the past and wanted to see what it was like.

Setting
Set in a futuristic San Fransisco, technology has advanced sufficiently to solve a lot of our medical problems and society has advanced enough that a lot of the current problems with sexuality and gender just aren't a thing anymore. There's plenty of same-sex couples, you can specify your preferred diet and call yourself pretty much any gender pronoun under the sun which is nice.

Overall the world and characters ARE really nice, the characters are honest and open for the most part and its nice to just see such a diverse selection of people and backgrounds and it's such an idyllic lifestyle.

Cybernetic and augmetic enhancements are commonplace and interestingly so are furries (Hybrids in the game). These actually make up one of the big tensions of the game. The background goes that gene splicing solved a lot of health problems, functioning as a literal cure for cancer in one case but it makes the human take on animal characteristics producing basically furries. Of course some people would take up these things for aesthetic or practical purposes to. However this creates tension as pro-human groups protest and argue that we stray further from God (and other arguments) that are used to justify anti-Hybrid legislation. A detective who got cybernetic eyes gets discriminated against in her precinct for it. Hybrids are not allowed to breed to protect the genetic purity of humanity and face discrimination and harassment every day.
I talk a lot about this background stuff but that's because it all makes for a really interesting world to be in. The setting and characters are by far the strongest aspect of the game.

Gameplay
It's a point and click adventure played out similar to the investigation segments of AA games. Puzzles are generally light but the world is delightful to interact with. Early on in the game you can grab a carton of spoiled milk and then use it on LOADS of things with humourous outtakes. In a great moment I was able to use the spoiled milk on the McGuffin at the end of the game and then got an ending where I was chewed out by my companion for deciding then of all times to finally use that thing.

Towards the end there's even some delightfully horrific puzzles which create a great feeling of tension. Having actual game-over states adds a lot to the game as I've never really played an adventure game with many of these before. Even if they are pretty few and far between.

Story
The general premise of the game is that the worlds first Sapient robot AI, Turing (haha meaningful name) is looking for his creator after mysterious folks broke into their apartment. Turing shows up at your door as you are an old friend of his creator and what follows is a story about corporate espionage, data processing, the importance of sapience, and investigation. Like I said it feels very much like an AA investigation sequence.

I'd say the story falls a bit flat in the end though. The rest of the world is just so tantalising, hybrid rights, robots everywhere, fun hackers, that I kind of wish I could have went a bit more in another direction. The plot follows down the robot-intelligence line and all these other huge issues in the background are kind of never opened as much as I'd like.

Your character also feels somewhat superfluous. You are a journalist but really wherever you go most of the talking is done by Turing who accompanies you everywhere. Turing will tell you how they couldn't have done this without you but really that only ever feels like by virtue of needing an extra pair of hands to do something. I actually feel like at times the narrative gets away from you to the point it feels you don't have much agency in what happens. Turing will make decisions on his own that don't feel great or you might disagree with. It's never really your story, it's always Turing's which isn't so bad but...I would have liked maybe more dialogue choices along the way or to have more involvement with the characters when really most of the characters relate to Turing rather than you with you seeming more as a chaperone.

The finale wooft...I have problems with it. What you do in the end is absolutely huge with massive consequences but the characters really undersell the significance of what's happening and that feels incredibly weird. You can say "No I don't think this is a good idea" but you will get shouted down by other characters and it never really feels like the game stops to ask you "wait a moment maybe this issue deserves more thought". There's a third option between "let's go all in on this" and "No lets do nothing at all" but the game doesn't have it. You either go along with your friends or be a massive buzzkill and that really disconnected me from the narrative in the end and reminded me of all the other problems where you never really feel you have agency.

It's even weirder in the postgame where you get a small sequence where you get to go around and see the world after you have affected it and...yeah it really undersells the significance of what happened. The game definitely has a rose-tinted glasses view of what would happen while I go around with massive doubts. They try a couple of shots to hammer in how there's negative consequences of your actions afterwards but its kind of too little too late.

Overall
Yeah the game is generally pretty good, the music is great too. Something between 80's synth, John Carpenter and some upbeat tunes that would not look out of place in an AA game. The story was disappointing in the end but the world was great and the puzzles were interesting and tense. I'd recommend checking it out at some point if you are interested. I'd love to play another story in this setting.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Page 267 of 267 [ 10648 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 263, 264, 265, 266, 267

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station