Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 6 of 61[ 2410 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 61  Next

Re: 999 Sequel Announced (3DS/Vita)Topic%20Title

Sir

Bolt Storm wrote:
While I wouldn't trust VGChartz's numbers, two of Aksys' higher-ups are members on NeoGAF and have mentioned on multiple occasions that they're extremely happy with the sales numbers and that they'd love to localize the sequel.

You don't need to put much "trust" in these numbers to view them as a pretty good sign. Even if their accuracy isn't excellent, as long as they aren't completely random and baseless (which they aren't) they clearly show that 999 sold much more in the US than in Japan. It then follows that not releasing the sequel in the US is illogical.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

groupoid wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:
While I wouldn't trust VGChartz's numbers, two of Aksys' higher-ups are members on NeoGAF and have mentioned on multiple occasions that they're extremely happy with the sales numbers and that they'd love to localize the sequel.

You don't need to put much "trust" in these numbers to view them as a pretty good sign. Even if their accuracy isn't excellent, as long as they aren't completely random and baseless (which they aren't) they clearly show that 999 sold much more in the US than in Japan. It then follows that not releasing the sequel in the US is illogical.

That's the thing. Sometimes VGCharts IS completely random and baseless. I remember Capcom saying that <Some Game I can't remember the title of>'s stats on VGCharts was double what was actually manufactured.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

元・超会社員級の管理人

That game was actually the AA series; Sven said VGChartz were double or higher actual sales for the games.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

Sir

Wooster wrote:
groupoid wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

That's the thing. Sometimes VGCharts IS completely random and baseless. I remember Capcom saying that <Some Game I can't remember the title of>'s stats on VGCharts was double what was actually manufactured.

That might well be the case, but that doesn't make the numbers purely random. The problem with vgchartz is that their sample margin isn't too big and not necessarily representative of the market as a whole.
But that alone won't suffice to make a case here: by all means let's say the US number is doubled and the JP number is halved. My point would still hold.

Manson wrote:
Did the first game actually sell well? Don't get me wrong, I loved the first game, but I don't really remember seeing the game being sold anywhere on the high streets.

Well if your location of being in Scotland is true, it wouldn't have been anywhere. It wasn't released here. I was thinking the same thing when I first got interested in 999, I'd never seen it any shops.

OBJECTION!

If the numbers are true, Aksys would be mad not to localise this - it sold much better in the US than Japan.
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

OBJECTION!

Apparently the Vita will be released in Japan in December, so I'd think we have to wait til at least 2013 for 999-2 :(

Here for my yearly login

samboo1 wrote:
Manson wrote:
Did the first game actually sell well? Don't get me wrong, I loved the first game, but I don't really remember seeing the game being sold anywhere on the high streets.

Well if your location of being in Scotland is true, it wouldn't have been anywhere. It wasn't released here. I was thinking the same thing when I first got interested in 999, I'd never seen it any shops.

Well, that explains why my copy of 999 from eBay was American. Jesus though, that's a hell of a lot of copies for a completely unadvertised, M-rated DS game. Good for Aksys.
Signatures are hard...

OBJECTION!

Also had a thought (when looking at the PW v PL thread) maybe the 3D models will be changed or touched up! The game is still a long way off, so we shouldnt judge the final graphics quality from an early trailer for a half finished game (running on Youtube).

1000% Knight

Here are my nicknames for characters:
Speed Racer - Cuz of the jumpsuit
Mrs. Claus - fem version of Santa
Oldbag - male version of Oldbag
Underboob - ^^'
Emo - Look at the trailer
Magician - He looks like a magician!
Lah Lah - She looks like an airhead who's just going "lalalalala" to me
Hatty - He wears a hat
Sam - He looks sorta like the steel SAMurai (and I like having the crazier character have such an unassuming name xD)

Okay massive theory dump and stuff...

Spoiler: 999
To be honest, I don't think there will be partners or anything like that. There's an odd number of people, and I don't think (and don't hope) someone will be killed off at the start.

Because of the futuristic sci-fi anesthetic, I don't think it's a prequel to 999, although that idea about Underboob being frozen in Ice-9 and being mistaken for an egyptian princess is interesting. IIRC, the writer confirmed Alice as having actually existed, but didn't confirm that the woman at the end of 999 was really Alice. (In the interview, I think he said, "That shot was to confirm that Alice actually existed. However, was that really Alice, or June sending Junpei an image through the morphogenetic field...?") Also to the people saying Underboob looks exactly like Alice, the writer explicitly stated that the picture of Alice in 999 was not what Alice actually looked like, but what Junpei imagined her to look like.

I don't think Emo is clover, or Underboob is Alice. To be honest, the only one I could see is Oldbag being a really old Junpei...

There's been lots of debate and confusion over who has what number. Because the numbers are so important, I think they might specifically be throwing out random numbers at this point just so they don't give it away :P however, because of the ambidex thing, I think each bracelet will have multiple numbers, whether each person gets to choose which number to use, or some 'event' causes the numbers to switch. (At first I thought they'd have a bracelet on each arm, but... doesn't look like that's happening.)

A lot of people have been complaining about Sam and the rabbit, but I think the rabbit is just a 'mascot' for the mastermind (like Jigsaw was in the Saw movies), and I'm sure there's a good reason for Sam being there. (999 really does not seem like the sort of game where they would throw in a robot for teh lulz)

Now then... the plot. Me and my friend tried to basically take everything in the trailer and work it in xD Anyway, the Special Department of Defense Agency (or w/e it is) was trying to use an antimatter bomb to stop a pandemic (or something). They put it into an Electrogolem or something so that it could use it. Being a robot, it has the 3 laws of robotics programmed into it. However, it breaks the laws and betrays the humans, killing one of them, so that the pandemic happens. The purpose of the Ambidex Game is to 're-program' the robot to show it that betrayal can only lead to despair, and that it should cooperate. They want to use the power of the blood-stained moon to amplify the morphogenetic field to send the information the robot learns to its past self (maybe something about rhizomes fits here, too xD). The person who created the robots is Hatty (who's a kid genius; this is cuz of that screenshot of everyone but Hatty, Sam, and Speed Racer dead xD). They want you to think that Sam is the electrogolem, but the huge twist at the end is that the electrogolem is actually Speed Racer; the corpse in the elevator is the person he killed, and after he killed him/her, breaking the laws of robotics overloaded him, causing the memory loss.

Sub-theories: Underboob will not have as strong a link to it as the others and will not know what's going on, like Lotus in 999. Emo will try to screw everyone over at the beginning. They'll convince her to trust them and work through it, but Magician will secretly do... something that lets him do what Emo wanted to do, and he tries to use it as a trump card later.

Also in the trailer, there's a really short clip of what looks like... Lah Lah, making a massive leap. I want to know what that is... (There was also a shot of Mrs. Claus being shot through the air or something. I think those two shots are related...)

Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Sir

Manson wrote:
samboo1 wrote:
Manson wrote:

Well, that explains why my copy of 999 from eBay was American. Jesus though, that's a hell of a lot of copies for a completely unadvertised, M-rated DS game. Good for Aksys.

Well, many reviews were freaking glowing, they were. Had IGN not given it a 9.0 I probably would never have noticed the existence of the game, and that would have been tragic.

Sir

Bad Player wrote:
Here are my nicknames for characters:
Speed Racer - Cuz of the jumpsuit
Mrs. Claus - fem version of Santa
Oldbag - male version of Oldbag
Underboob - ^^'
Emo - Look at the trailer
Magician - He looks like a magician!
Lah Lah - She looks like an airhead who's just going "lalalalala" to me
Hatty - He wears a hat
Sam - He looks sorta like the steel SAMurai (and I like having the crazier character have such an unassuming name xD)

Okay massive theory dump and stuff...

Spoiler: 999
To be honest, I don't think there will be partners or anything like that. There's an odd number of people, and I don't think (and don't hope) someone will be killed off at the start.

Because of the futuristic sci-fi anesthetic, I don't think it's a prequel to 999, although that idea about Underboob being frozen in Ice-9 and being mistaken for an egyptian princess is interesting. IIRC, the writer confirmed Alice as having actually existed, but didn't confirm that the woman at the end of 999 was really Alice. (In the interview, I think he said, "That shot was to confirm that Alice actually existed. However, was that really Alice, or June sending Junpei an image through the morphogenetic field...?") Also to the people saying Underboob looks exactly like Alice, the writer explicitly stated that the picture of Alice in 999 was not what Alice actually looked like, but what Junpei imagined her to look like.

I don't think Emo is clover, or Underboob is Alice. To be honest, the only one I could see is Oldbag being a really old Junpei...

There's been lots of debate and confusion over who has what number. Because the numbers are so important, I think they might specifically be throwing out random numbers at this point just so they don't give it away :P however, because of the ambidex thing, I think each bracelet will have multiple numbers, whether each person gets to choose which number to use, or some 'event' causes the numbers to switch. (At first I thought they'd have a bracelet on each arm, but... doesn't look like that's happening.)

A lot of people have been complaining about Sam and the rabbit, but I think the rabbit is just a 'mascot' for the mastermind (like Jigsaw was in the Saw movies), and I'm sure there's a good reason for Sam being there. (999 really does not seem like the sort of game where they would throw in a robot for teh lulz)

Now then... the plot. Me and my friend tried to basically take everything in the trailer and work it in xD Anyway, the Special Department of Defense Agency (or w/e it is) was trying to use an antimatter bomb to stop a pandemic (or something). They put it into an Electrogolem or something so that it could use it. Being a robot, it has the 3 laws of robotics programmed into it. However, it breaks the laws and betrays the humans, killing one of them, so that the pandemic happens. The purpose of the Ambidex Game is to 're-program' the robot to show it that betrayal can only lead to despair, and that it should cooperate. They want to use the power of the blood-stained moon to amplify the morphogenetic field to send the information the robot learns to its past self (maybe something about rhizomes fits here, too xD). The person who created the robots is Hatty (who's a kid genius; this is cuz of that screenshot of everyone but Hatty, Sam, and Speed Racer dead xD). They want you to think that Sam is the electrogolem, but the huge twist at the end is that the electrogolem is actually Speed Racer; the corpse in the elevator is the person he killed, and after he killed him/her, breaking the laws of robotics overloaded him, causing the memory loss.

Sub-theories: Underboob will not have as strong a link to it as the others and will not know what's going on, like Lotus in 999. Emo will try to screw everyone over at the beginning. They'll convince her to trust them and work through it, but Magician will secretly do... something that lets him do what Emo wanted to do, and he tries to use it as a trump card later.

Also in the trailer, there's a really short clip of what looks like... Lah Lah, making a massive leap. I want to know what that is... (There was also a shot of Mrs. Claus being shot through the air or something. I think those two shots are related...)

Those are some confusing nicknames... only Speedracer and Magician work for me... And am I the only one who thinks the Magician might just be yet another female?

1000% Knight

Well they work for me :P

OBJECTION!

The guy in the hat looks like Willy Wonka.
Spoiler:
I agree, that it's possible the really old guy may be Junpei - what if he thinks June betrayed him (so he became an Ace like figure). Or perhaps this game is Zero taking revenge on the ones they feel have betrayed people.
Speed Racer does kinda look like an older Junpei though, IMO.
I also noticed in the trailer, there's several shots of characters being injected with a syringe, or something?!

OBJECTION!

I've been thinking:
Spoiler:
Maybe Speed Racer/Sigma is actually Junpei - or maybe Junpei is the really old guy? It could be Junpei using a code name because Sigma and Phi sound like code names. The new guys personality is a bit like Junpei's if you remember his sex jokes from 999 :D

grim_tales wrote:
I've been thinking:
Spoiler:
Maybe Speed Racer/Sigma is actually Junpei - or maybe Junpei is the really old guy? It could be Junpei using a code name because Sigma and Phi sound like code names. The new guys personality is a bit like Junpei's if you remember his sex jokes from 999 :D

Spoiler:
I actually don't :D? Whenever there was some lame sex joke, Junpei was never involved as far as I remember. That being said, I hope none of them is Junpei.. I wouldn't want him to be an old fart, and the main character seems like someone that I wouldn't want Junpei to turn into..

grim_tales, you're awesome for keeping this thread alive :D
Latest game update: 25/03/11
If anyone is interested in helping me with the script, please PM me.
UPDATE: Case 2 preview: http://www.4shared.com/video/JAKBIUPG/AAJAD2.html

Jack Lamber wrote:
grim_tales wrote:
I've been thinking:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I actually don't :D? Whenever there was some lame sex joke, Junpei was never involved as far as I remember. That being said, I hope none of them is Junpei.. I wouldn't want him to be an old fart, and the main character seems like someone that I wouldn't want Junpei to turn into..

Spoiler:
Two that pop immediately into mind are his dirty mind with the elevator, and when you examine the frozen chicken he wants June to repeat herself when she says it's hard lol. That Junpei... :javado:

samboo1 wrote:
Jack Lamber wrote:
grim_tales wrote:
I've been thinking:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Two that pop immediately into mind are his dirty mind with the elevator, and when you examine the frozen chicken he wants June to repeat herself when she says it's hard lol. That Junpei... :javado:

Spoiler:
Alright, I'll give you that last one :phoenix: but the elevator thing is more of a misunderstanding than anything (well actually.. June would know of the whole thing, so isn't she the one to blame :P?)

OBJECTION!

I agree I don't want Junpei to be an old fart - I certainly don't want the old guy to be Snake.
What if its a prequel and the woman that looks like June is her mum or something?
Spoiler:
In the trailer I spotted someone being injected with a syringe?!?
Also.. think of those funny pictures that say "you divided by Zero..." where the lake kinda collapses. Wonder if that will come into play?

I wanted to keep this thread alive as I need my 999 fix :D

That explains it :larry2: I got my 999 fix by reading you and samboo's comments as you played the game through for the first time.
Seriously, that is quite entertaining... uuugh, and now I need to find MORE people and make them play the game as well!

OBJECTION!

Wonder when we'll hear any more news about it - maybe when the Vita is out in Japan?
I'm even considering signing up for Twitter so I can see what Aksys have to say. I can't join the Aksys or NeoGAF forums for some reason :(

OBJECTION!

I'm sure we'll see more info once the game is finished.

OBJECTION!

Hey,
It looks like the title changed to Extreme Escape Adventure: Trust or Betrayal.

Bah, I was liking Good People Die :D

http://www.pushsquare.com/31157/tgs-11- ... tion-vita/

What does "tentative" mean, does that mean the game isnt finished yet?
Personally I hope they change the title for English release. Trust or Betrayal sounds too spoilering.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Actually, the full translation is "Emergency Escape Adventure: Trust or Betrayal" - but the official site still lists it as "Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die". Perhaps the 3DS and Vita versions will be significantly different?
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

OBJECTION!

In a way I hope they're not - as I don't want to spend money twice :D But the twist in the 1st one that gave you a reason for using the DS itself was brilliant.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

It remains the only time I've ever had a legitimate reason to hold the DS upside down.

Wooster wrote:
It remains the only time I've ever had a legitimate reason to hold the DS upside down.

So have you ever held the DS upside down just for the sake of it? :redd:

I wonder how different the 3DS version will be from the Vita. Is it safe to assume there will be a narrator again? Because I really can't see how they could make that work in the Vita version. In the DS, the dialogue showed up in the top screen, and the narration showed up in the bottom screen. You can't really fit all that in just one screen, unless there's no narration at all...

Deputy of Self-Esteem

They sorta ran into that problem with Touch Detective on iOS after being a DS title. On the DS Mackenzi's monologue would be on the bottom screen, and her dialog on the top with everyone else. It was interesting on the DS how while interviewing the client, her thoughts were on anything but the matter at hand. On iOS, it was just confusing, as it was all handled on the same screen without a dividing context.

1000% Knight

grim_tales wrote:
Hey,

Personally I hope they change the title for English release. Trust or Betrayal sounds too spoilering.

I think the "tentative" means that it's their translation of the japanese title, not the official localized title. I like "Good People Die" too xD
(Except there's also the fact that the title doesn't translate to "Trust or Betrayal". The first part of the title is in kanji, so it's definitely "good people". The rest is in kana, and it's 'shibou', which can mean 'death' or 'desire' (or 'fat') so... To be honest, I hope it's supposed to sound like "good people die" but have a real meaning of "good people's wishes")

I really really hope the Vita and 3DS versions are the same. I mean, if you're going to tell the story, tell it the same to everyone... (Although I'm a bit sick of seeing "Vita" and "Vita" alone when talking about this game T_T)

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Hmm... "Good People are Fat"...

THE VILLIAN IS AN ANOREXIC. [/joke]

1000% Knight

Wooster wrote:
Hmm... "Good People are Fat"...

THE VILLIAN IS AN ANOREXIC. [/joke]

That is the official name of the parody

(the official parody of 999 is "Urinary Game", named when my friend misread the title of the song 'unary game' from the soundtrack...)

OBJECTION!

Hey,
I've been wondering about the voice acting and how it will work. If they keep the Japanese voices, but subtitle it using localised dialogue, maybe the subtitles won't fully reflect what's being said. But a good translation may not be a literal translation when we're dealing with Japanese of course.

Bad Player wrote:
grim_tales wrote:
Hey,

I think the "tentative" means that it's their translation of the japanese title, not the official localized title. I like "Good People Die" too xD
(Except there's also the fact that the title doesn't translate to "Trust or Betrayal". The first part of the title is in kanji, so it's definitely "good people". The rest is in kana, and it's 'shibou', which can mean 'death' or 'desire' (or 'fat') so... To be honest, I hope it's supposed to sound like "good people die" but have a real meaning of "good people's wishes")

I really really hope the Vita and 3DS versions are the same. I mean, if you're going to tell the story, tell it the same to everyone... (Although I'm a bit sick of seeing "Vita" and "Vita" alone when talking about this game T_T)

Yeah, there's really no way you can get "Trust or Betrayal" out of "全員シボウデス." My guess is that the "translator" knew little to no Japanese and just went off summaries of the game's plot. Though at least it's not as bizarre as getting "Trinity Sight System Theme" out of "トッポ・ネイ・シャボンのテーマ" (the actual translation is "Toppo/Nei/Shabon's Theme") :yuusaku:

Sir

grim_tales wrote:
Hey,
I've been wondering about the voice acting and how it will work. If they keep the Japanese voices, but subtitle it using localised dialogue, maybe the subtitles won't fully reflect what's being said. But a good translation may not be a literal translation when we're dealing with Japanese of course.

Japanese voices with English subtitles seems almost certainly the way it will go. There were comments to that effect on neogaf by the Akysis guys who frequent the place. It would probably be very economically unwise trying to actually dub, as the profit margins for VN aren't that big to start with.

OBJECTION!

More thoughts:

Spoiler:
I know it looks Alice and Clover are in the trailer - but I wonder if Akane is still Zero (even if Santa dressed up as him initially?) The reason I say this is because the audio at the start is a synthesised female voice, could it be Zero talking? Will Zero even be in the game, or was the grab of Zero to remind us about 999?

1000% Knight

Spoiler:
I think the voice at the start of the trailer is supposed to be the rabbit's voice. And I think going Female Voice --> June is still Zero is reading a bit too much into it.

My knee-jerk reaction was "Nah, June can't still be Zero. That would be lame!" but then I was like "Wait... maybe she could still be Zero, because nobody is expecting it!" so... we'll see, I guess. (Although my hunch is that it's someone else this time. I mean, it would be unexpected, but at the same time I think it would be a bit... unfulfilling to use the same answer to the main mystery.)

All we got in the trailer was a short split-second shot of Zero, so I imagine that at this point, it was just to connect it to 999. I imagine Zero is going to be involved SOMEHOW, but...

OBJECTION!

IMO,
Spoiler:
If June was still Zero this would be a bit lame for those who have played 999, in answer to the main big mystery. So maybe its someone else?

I really should watch the Saw films... :D

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Spoiler:
'Sides. June was but one of many kids who went through the first nonary game. And we only got a fragment of the story that happened then. Who's to say the villain this time around isn't one of the other poor folks.

OBJECTION!

Yeah, you're right.
Spoiler:
Not sure I'd call June a "villain" though, I mean she was manipulative I guess, but it wasnt like she was actually EVIL like Ace.
What if this game is set many years in the future and the villain is Ace's kid or something? Or maybe they will be appalled at what Ace did but because of his past, they'd still be suspicious?

Talking about this game and 999 is fun :D

1000% Knight

Spoiler:
Or it could be someone continuing the research of the morphogenetic field, or... it could really have very little to do with the Nonary Games from 999. (If you read the interview on the 999 website, the two main Nonary Games from 999 were actually the second 'iteration' of the Nonary Game... it was initially devised and carried out by the guy who bought the Gigantic (forget his name), and Ace was actually a participant in one of them..............

Yeah, it is. And I like how we know nothing about it now, so we can through out all the insane theories we want :D
Page 6 of 61 [ 2410 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 61  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station