Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 5 of 6[ 228 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Re: Underrated GamesTopic%20Title

Go on. Hug him. You know you want to.

I'd have to say the Valkyrie Profile series is pretty underrated. I only own Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, but I think it's amazing, not to mention fairly original. I want to get Lenneth for the PSP so badly, but I know it's gonna be a bitch to find.

Oh, and if we can also toss in indie games, I'd have to say Yume Nikki is either really overrated or underrated depending upon how one looks at it, overrated because everyone plays it to freak themselves and their friends out, but underrated in the sense that, I feel, not many people play it because they think it's too scary and disturbing. I find myself in the middle: I play it not only because it's pretty frightening, but because I want to try and "crack the code" behind the storyline, if you will. I hope that made any sense....

If you need my help don't yell as loud

The Hobbit: Some people might not agree with me but I say this is an awesome game, hey if you've played the other games I've recomended you'll know I haven't sterted you wrong before... hopefully. In this game you play as a Mr Bilbo Baggins B-I- Double... you get the rest. I think they did a great job at bringing one of my favorite books to life without even basing it off a movie... I hope they don't make a new game for the new movie. The game has some pretty great platforming and I enjoy looking for all the hidden treasure along the way. It does a good job at voice acting. Really the only downside to this game is the combat. It can be a bit a annoying but you get used to it. Also it's not a very big part in the game. This is over lookable because the game is awesome (what other game do you know where you have to hop from debri to debri to get to a rope in the middle of a whirl pool?) This game gets Jack's Seal of Approval!
IT'S TEA TIME B****!

Walking the path of heaven, ruler of all

Canis Canem Edit/Bully is really underrated. I think it one of Rockstars best game and loved every minute of it.
Awesome sig made by Nadindi.
My otp's are. MayaxLarry and PhoenixxFranziska

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

LEGO INDIANA JONES AND LEGO BATMAN...

There I said it. :godot:
Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!

Walking the path of heaven, ruler of all

Yaragorm wrote:

The lego star wars games got a 10/10 in a magazine here in sweden :p
Awesome sig made by Nadindi.
My otp's are. MayaxLarry and PhoenixxFranziska

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

oddy wrote:
Yaragorm wrote:

The lego star wars games got a 10/10 in a magazine here in sweden :p

That's why I didn't mention it, it was rated just fine...

Gettin' Old!

Yaragorm wrote:

I always thought this was very overrated.

All the Lego *film* games are immensely popular but....I just never found them that interesting possibly because of the infinite lives and simple gameplay.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

lying is bad

Sangokushi Taisen Ten.

The review I wrote on gameFAQs for it lost its star...not sure how though...

Anyways, amazing game. It's huge. So much stuff to do.

And it's an RTS, for strategy gamers out there.

Only available in Japanese. :sadshoe:

Good thing I can read Kanji! :redd:

Apply directly to the forehead

Location: New Mexico (If you can find any more empty space, your in Paris Hilton's brain)

Psychonauts: That game was one of the best games I ever played and even though it got good reviews, basically nobody played it, which is sad because it is an awesome game

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Herr Blondie wrote:
Yaragorm wrote:

I always thought this was very overrated.

All the Lego *film* games are immensely popular but....I just never found them that interesting possibly because of the infinite lives and simple gameplay.

I always thought it was underrated because all my friends say it was too boring... :eh?:

Back from the dead

Tales of Symphonia. Best RPG ever.
Sig By Lind_L_Tailor
Don't let your friends tie you to the railway tracks

1000% Knight

I haven't found Tales of Symphonia to be too underrated, though :yuusaku:
(And Chrono Trigger beats it any day :P)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Back from the dead

Ratings wise Tales of Symphonia's pretty well placed. But among the general audience it should be better known. OH AND PSYCHONAUTS IS THE MOST UNDERRATED GAME EVER!
Sig By Lind_L_Tailor
Don't let your friends tie you to the railway tracks

If you need my help don't yell as loud

SD-Rim_6 wrote:
Psychonauts: That game was one of the best games I ever played and even though it got good reviews, basically nobody played it, which is sad because it is an awesome game

The majority of that guy's games are underrated, except for Brutal Legend.
IT'S TEA TIME B****!

Ace Sidekick!

Super Mario Sunshine :sadshoe:

I wish there was a sequel for the game now.

And Pokemon Colosseum. Well ok, if I could make changes to Pokemon Colosseum to make it better I would. But I do believe this game deserves SOME recognition.

Turnabout Clerk wrote:
Ratings wise Tales of Symphonia's pretty well placed. But among the general audience it should be better known.

Symphonia is underrated and not well known?
I find that hard to believe, most people I see talking about Tales Of games say that Symphonia was their first Tales Of game ever - some like to ignore ever having played Phantasia's Gameboy version.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

Emiko Gale wrote:
Super Mario Sunshine :sadshoe:

I wish there was a sequel for the game now.

And Pokemon Colosseum. Well ok, if I could make changes to Pokemon Colosseum to make it better I would. But I do believe this game deserves SOME recognition.

Yeah I'm kinda baffled why Pokemon didn't make a jump to a 3D platform in a massive world, that game sounds kind of amazing in my head. It would have a greater single player components too ./wishful thinkiing.

Legend of Dragoon didn't really get enough credit I think.
Nor Monster Hunter, I mean it's fans are diehard but it's still a small fanbase in the west compared to the East.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

100% whole grain, now with added fiber!

A few in particular come to mind.

The first two are the Baten Kaitos games for the Gamecube, a series of RPGs with a unique card-based battle system and beautiful pre-rendered visuals and music. The first one was a little rough around the edges, but the second game Baten Kaitos Origins ironed out the flaws with the voice acting and combat and has since become one of my all-time favorites. For some reason they failed to catch on and are mostly unheard of now, especially Origins, which came out just as the Gamecube was on its way out.

A more recent one would be Lost Odyssey, another RPG, for the 360. It was helmed by the same guy who produced the first few Final Fantasy games and plays very much like FFVI-X. They even brought in Nobuo Uematsu to do the (awesome) soundtrack. The story has a lot of very touching moments and some of the best writing I've ever seen in a game, period (though there was a disappointing lack of world-building and character development). I can why some would be turned off by the loading screens and repetitive battles, but I think it deserved better than the mixed reaction it got here.
ImageImage

1000% Knight

ekree wrote:
The first two are the Baten Kaitos games for the Gamecube, a series of RPGs with a unique card-based battle system and beautiful pre-rendered visuals and music. The first one was a little rough around the edges, but the second game Baten Kaitos Origins ironed out the flaws with the voice acting and combat and has since become one of my all-time favorites. For some reason they failed to catch on and are mostly unheard of now, especially Origins, which came out just as the Gamecube was on its way out.

yesyesyes

Pretty much the entire visual novel genre outside of Japan. Why do you think we don't have GK2? Because the industry is overrun with shallow first person shooters and action games that most gamers just eat up. If I showed Phoenix Wright or 999 to the average gamer around me, they'd undoubtedly call it "boring." At least these games do "well enough" to justify localization.

Fate Testarossa

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Pretty much the entire visual novel genre outside of Japan. Why do you think we don't have GK2? Because the industry is overrun with shallow first person shooters and action games that most gamers just eat up. If I showed Phoenix Wright or 999 to the average gamer around me, they'd undoubtedly call it "boring." At least these games do "well enough" to justify localization.

Doubt it. The Walking Dead was essentially a VN, and it was lauded heaps of praise. It's more the fact that VNs are seen as too niche and geeky.

Fate is made by クロス

迷探偵

Gyakuten Saiban and Gyakuten Kenji aren't (visual) novel games though. At least, they are definitely considered 'just' adventure games in Japan. Not sure whether the Eastern and Western concepts of adventure games and (visual/sound) novel differ though.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

kwando wrote:

Doubt it. The Walking Dead was essentially a VN, and it was lauded heaps of praise. It's more the fact that VNs are seen as too niche and geeky.

The Walking Dead is a point and click adventure game. A visual novel consists of reading large amounts of text, usually with static graphics and background music, and making choices along the way. Phoenix Wright and 999 have some puzzles, but they are undoubtedly visual novels. With the Walking Dead, you move around in a full 3D environment and aren't just reading text. It's sorta similar to Mass Effect.

The reason that they aren't popular is two-fold. First is that most have an anime art style, and that immediately turns off people who don't like anime or manga. I think to move past that, Chunsoft should release their "sound novels" here since they use live action photos and stills. Secondly, it's because of the insane amount of text that you have to read. I love these games, but most don't have the patience to sit through all that. At least Phoenix Wright has a passionate fan base, even if that doesn't necessarily translate into sales.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Don't forget that most of the great VNs out there also have H-scenes which turns a lot of people off. Whatever. More waifus for me.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Blak The Great wrote:
Don't forget that most of the great VNs out there also have H-scenes which turns a lot of people off. Whatever. More waifus for me.

That's true, but there's a bunch of great VNs out there like 428: In a Blockaded Shibuya and Steins;Gate that are suitable for most audiences. It's just that there's little market for such games. There's a company, though called JAST USA that officially localizes H-games. There's this one I want to play called School Days. I'm usually not into those kinds of games, but that one actually looks like it has a good story with human characters. It's too bad that I don't live alone, because I wouldn't want to be "caught" playing what's essentially an erotic game.

I'm currently playing Ever 17: The Out of Infinity. By some miracle, this game actually DID get a release in the US a few years ago. It's written by the same guy who handled the Zero Escape series, so I know it'll be good.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Blak The Great wrote:

That's true, but there's a bunch of great VNs out there like 428: In a Blockaded Shibuya and Steins;Gate that are suitable for most audiences. It's just that there's little market for such games. There's a company, though called JAST USA that officially localizes H-games. There's this one I want to play called School Days. I'm usually not into those kinds of games, but that one actually looks like it has a good story with human characters. It's too bad that I don't live alone, because I wouldn't want to be "caught" playing what's essentially an erotic game.

I'm currently playing Ever 17: The Out of Infinity. By some miracle, this game actually DID get a release in the US a few years ago. It's written by the same guy who handled the Zero Escape series, so I know it'll be good.

I've got a ton of VNs on my backlog and School Days is one of them. Though I will say this, based on the amount of I've played, Makoto is a shitty main character. He has virtually no good qualities about him. That being said, I've yet to get a gruesome ending for the game. I'll probably go through my backlog over the summer or something. Also, I don't live alone but I still find time to play my eroge.

I'd say my favorites would have to be:
G-Senjou no Maou
Fate Stay/Night
Muv-Luv
Majikoi
Katawa Shoujo
Little Busters

I'm probably missing quite a lot.

Blak The Great wrote:
Blak The Great wrote:

I've got a ton of VNs on my backlog and School Days is one of them. Though I will say this, based on the amount of I've played, Makoto is a shitty main character. He has virtually no good qualities about him. That being said, I've yet to get a gruesome ending for the game. I'll probably go through my backlog over the summer or something. Also, I don't live alone but I still find time to play my eroge.

G-Senjou no Maou
Fate Stay/Night
Muv-Luv
Majikoi
Katawa Shoujo
Little Busters

Yeah, I've heard about that from reviews of School Days.

My favorite VN is Steins;Gate. 999 is a close second. I haven't heard of any of those. They're H-games, right? :godot:

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Blak The Great wrote:

G-Senjou no Maou
Fate Stay/Night
Muv-Luv
Majikoi
Katawa Shoujo
Little Busters

Yeah, I've heard about that from reviews of School Days.

My favorite VN is Steins;Gate. 999 is a close second. I haven't heard of any of those. They're H-games, right? :godot:

I still haven't played Steins;Gate yet since I'm waiting for JAST to actually release it here.
And yes. With the exception of Little Busters, all of those VNs are H-games. Not that that's the focus of them of course.

Quote:
I still haven't played Steins;Gate yet since I'm waiting for JAST to actually release it here.
And yes. With the exception of Little Busters, all of those VNs are H-games. Not that that's the focus of them of course.

I hope JAST will announce something at this year's Anime Expo. They've been hinting at it for so long. I've played the fan translation, though I'm definitely going to buy the official copy. Hopefully they'll also release it for other consoles like Xbox 360, but it's probably only going to be on PC. In the meantime, you could always play its "prequel" Chaos;Head. Now that's one trippy game. :beef:

There's also S;G's amazing anime adaption. I'm so disappointed I can't play Robotics;Notes. I plan on watching the anime soon, though. :yuusaku:

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Quote:

I hope JAST will announce something at this year's Anime Expo. They've been hinting at it for so long. I've played the fan translation, though I'm definitely going to buy the official copy. Hopefully they'll also release it for other consoles like Xbox 360, but it's probably only going to be on PC. In the meantime, you could always play its "prequel" Chaos;Head. Now that's one trippy game. :beef:

There's also S;G's amazing anime adaption. I'm so disappointed I can't play Robotics;Notes. I plan on watching the anime soon, though. :yuusaku:

I heard Chaos;Head sucks, so I'm not going anywhere near it.
I've seen both the S;G and R;N anime. Robotics;Notes was decent. It felt pretty rushed, and some of the characters weren't really paid attention to.

I still need to finish Clannad and Rewrite and some more of my backlog. I remember last year I was able to finish VNs pretty quickly, but now that I've got a job it makes it a lot harder to finish them :yuusaku:

Blak The Great wrote:
Quote:

I heard Chaos;Head sucks, so I'm not going anywhere near it.
I've seen both the S;G and R;N anime. Robotics;Notes was decent. It felt pretty rushed, and some of the characters weren't really paid attention to.

I still need to finish Clannad and Rewrite and some more of my backlog. I remember last year I was able to finish VNs pretty quickly, but now that I've got a job it makes it a lot harder to finish them :yuusaku:

The ANIME for Chaos;Head is pretty underwhelming. It tried too hard to be like the game and ended up not explaining a lot of plot points. The visual novel itself is actually really good, with an in-depth psychological story filled with many twists and turns. I think you might ought to give it a try.

The reason why the S;G anime was good was because the creators actually wanted to release an ANIME not just a straight up adaption. I'd call it pretty close to the game, but it's way more entertaining as a stand alone show.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

I'm also not a big fan of psycho-horror, so it's even more of a reason for me not to play it. I remember a buddy of mine recommended it to me last year, and I said the same thing. Maybe.
I remember when I played Muv-Luv it left me an emotional wreck at the end of it all. And Little Busters made me cry like a bitch. I like VNs that make me cry like a bitch. Man, I definitely need to get back to Clannad and Rewrite.

Blak The Great wrote:
I'm also not a big fan of psycho-horror, so it's even more of a reason for me not to play it. I remember a buddy of mine recommended it to me last year, and I said the same thing. Maybe.
I remember when I played Muv-Luv it left me an emotional wreck at the end of it all. And Little Busters made me cry like a bitch. I like VNs that make me cry like a bitch. Man, I definitely need to get back to Clannad and Rewrite.

I wouldn't really consider C;H as strictly horror. Yeah, there's some gory images (which is probably what gave the game its "Z" rating), but it's really more of a psychological thriller with some romance. I really hope you'll change your mind and check it out some time. I'm usually not into horror that much either, and I'll still liked it. Also, not that it really matters but the S;G VN makes some references to the events of C;H. There's even a non-canon 8-bit sequel of sorts that ties both games together.

Can't wait for the Steins;Gate movie!

Fate Testarossa

You guys need to go read Umineko. >_>

That is all. >_>

Fate is made by クロス

1000% Knight

kwando wrote:

That is all. >_>

Umineko isn't underrated at all.

Stay on topic *slaps kwando*

Fate Testarossa

Bad Player wrote:
kwando wrote:

That is all. >_>

Nor is Stein's Gate or Katawa Shoujo... >_>

Fate is made by クロス

:objection:

We're talking about visual novels here. I know the anime adaptions for those series get a lot of praise, but many forget that they started off as visual novel games. In terms of being outside of Japan, they fit perfectly with being underrated.

By the way, I recently discovered the whole "When They Cry" visual novel series today. I downloaded the first chapter off of iTunes and think that it's interesting. Is there anyone out there who's familiar with this series? It seems to have a lot of games, manga, and anime. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Fate Testarossa

Yes, I've read Umineko and Umineko Chiru, so in pretty familiar with that part. And I looooooooove Umineko. It's amazing.

Fate is made by クロス

1000% Knight

kwando wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
kwando wrote:

That is all. >_>

Nor is Stein's Gate or Katawa Shoujo... >_>

*slaps kwando*

More on topic: a little while ago I finished the first Higurashi VN... of course, that's only an eighth of the entire thing, so... can't say much about it. If you decide to go for Umineko, though, I haven't heard good things about the anime. I'd go for the original VNs, or possibly the manga. (If you're wondering why the Umineko anime isn't good... I've heard that the Umineko VNs are about twice as long as the Higurashi VNs... and both animes are the same length.)

Fate Testarossa

Yeah... Don't watch the anime for Umineko. Read the VNs. The first one starts a bit slowly (dat inheritance talk), but trust me. It's worth it to push through.

Fate is made by クロス
Page 5 of 6 [ 228 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station