Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 35 of 48[ 1897 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 48  Next

Re: Dangan-RonpaTopic%20Title

Personally, I wouldn't care - I don't really care for either character, but I think it would fit in the whole murder theme. Plus, it would be a neat punch for the Future Foundation. Maybe making them think that these people might not be all that worth saving. Or, at least, very difficult to make them see the errors of their way.

C-A

Desk Slammin Extraordinaire

The Danganronpa series is incredible, I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys Ace Attorney. Though there are some differences between the two series:

- DR has more of an over-arching story, whereas AA takes things case by case.
- DR's character development is spread out over all 16 characters, whereas the focus is on the few main characters in AA and then there's a bunch of secondary characters.
- DR's pacing starts off fast, slows down in the middle, then picks up again near the end. AA's pace starts slow then builds slowly to a fever pitch with each case's climax.

So yeah, DR's a different experience overall but it's still a joy to play.

Myah wrote:
- DR's character development is spread out over all 16 characters, whereas the focus is on the few main characters in AA and then there's a bunch of secondary characters.

Ahahahaha! More like, every character's development is relegated to Free Time of which you generally don't have enough to A) get to know the character entirely in one go or B) they get killed off before you learn enough about them to give a crap that they died.

Quote:
- DR's pacing starts off fast, slows down in the middle, then picks up again near the end. AA's pace starts slow then builds slowly to a fever pitch with each case's climax.

No, DR's pacing was horribly slow at first, with things only 'picking' up in the final third of the final trial... I deleted my LP by now, but you can tell that by the 3rd Video, I was getting impatient and wanted to yell, "If someone doesn't die anytime soon, I will MAKE it happen!" (I can't remember, maybe I did snap it during the LP, I forget.) As Togami says so nicely in Episode 5 of DRAT: "This had better be a bloody corpse this time."

The 'downtime' between deaths was so long, I wanted to unlock a mode where Naegi walks around with amnesia and needs to hide from a murderer, who will kill him if he sees him. (Yes, I am thinking of the ENIGMA game here...)

Quote:
- DR has more of an over-arching story, whereas AA takes things case by case.

Yeah, let's ignore how JFA had an Arc that moved into T&T, cause those cases are totally not connected at all.

C-A

★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - Announcement Trailer

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc will be available on Steam next month~!
Steam Store
FacebookKidd & Milky ArtPersonal/18+ Art InstagramArt Merch
Twitter: @miilkyweiPSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: Chainsaw Man / Pokemon Scarlet

Myah wrote:
- DR's character development is spread out over all probably 3 out of the 16 characters, whereas the focus is on the few main characters in AA and then there's a bunch of secondary characters, many of which get their own bits of fleshing out.

FTFY

I've felt worse.

Akari wrote:

Steam Store

Oh boy! I can't wait to purchase hats for all the dead children!
Eh who am I kidding. I'll just mod 'em in.

But on a serious note, at least they're bringing it to a system that isn't the Vita.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

:viola: You mean like the PSP?

Akari wrote:

Steam Store

Wow! They brought the 'old' game out onto a system that is not travel-friendly! Whooo!
Hang on, I need to check my Harvest Moon file... Oh boy! My turnips grew to the third level of their growth cycle! :will:

Quote:
You mean like the PSP?

That's the version I played... it was more tolerable than the Vita one.

C-A

I've felt worse.

TheDoctor wrote:

I meant for audiences outside of Japan. I know there's a fan patch, but I know some people would rather support the devs directly (and not buy a Vita).
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

1000% Knight

sumguy28 wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

I meant for audiences outside of Japan. I know there's a fan patch, but I know some people would rather support the devs directly (and not buy a Vita).

Well, you still support the devs if you actually buy the PSP version :P
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

CatMuto wrote:
Wow! They brought the 'old' game out onto a system that is not travel-friendly! Whooo!

A lot of people want to stream it and this is a good opportunity to do so.

Akari wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

Why would you stream the game? It's not very interesting to begin with and I LP'd the game, blind, in one-take recording sessions and still figured out majority of the mysteries mystery 'plot twists'. :ron:

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
I don't like something so there's no way anyone else would like it either

C-A

Well said :butzthumbs:

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
I don't like something so there's no way anyone else would like it either

C-A

Well said :butzthumbs:

Ahahaha. :ron: Seriously, DR is NOT a game that works for Streaming. Hell, I think a Dating Sim would work better for streaming, especially with the chat nearby, because you could ask the chat "Hey, guys. Dialogue option here. What should I pick?" Not a mystery game. Hell, let's stream playing Clue the next time we unpack the board game. That'll be worth it.

C-A

Blah!

That would be an opinion, not a fact. No need to force what you think on us, because the opposite opinion isn't false, just another opinion.

For example, I have been enjoying streams of the Ace Attorney games from a particular group, and AA is basically in the same category as Dangan Ronpa. There's entertainment value there for some people, so you can't just up and say that because it doesn't entertain you, it won't entertain anyone.

blahmoomoo wrote:
That would be an opinion, not a fact. No need to force what you think on us, because the opposite opinion isn't false, just another opinion.

For example, I have been enjoying streams of the Ace Attorney games from a particular group, and AA is basically in the same category as Dangan Ronpa. There's entertainment value there for some people, so you can't just up and say that because it doesn't entertain you, it won't entertain anyone.

Streams are basically LPs, but 'live'. And I overall see no point in streams because of that exact reason. It's an LP, no matter what you call it. (Except, maybe, having the chance to yell at the player via chat to "DO THAT!" because they can't figure it out - but then, they don't want you to help them via chat, which in turn defeats the purpose of the point of the chat, in my eyes :eh?: )

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Akari wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

Why would you stream the game? It's not very interesting to begin with and I LP'd the game, blind, in one-take recording sessions and still figured out majority of the mysteries mystery 'plot twists'. :ron:

C-A

One could always go the MST3K route, or even CinemaSins.

Besides, everyone has different tastes. I rather liked the game, although I admit, it could have been a lot better (Better ending, better mastermind, more complex mysteries, not devolving into a MLP-esque message at the end, alternate gameplay routes like they'd originally planned, take your pick).

CatMuto wrote:

You don't speak for everyone, though.

Besides people stream anything nowadays. Even Mount Your Friends. While entertaining, there's really no purpose to stream it, but it happens.

Sylph of Doom

On the topic of Dangan Ronpa and Let's Plays, I just need to know...

Bagels.
Ultimate bullshit.

How many people know what I'm saying? :godot:
Yours in Eternity

Spider wrote:
On the topic of Dangan Ronpa and Let's Plays, I just need to know...

Bagels.
Ultimate bullshit.

How many people know what I'm saying? :godot:

I know what bagels are, but not if you are quoting a specific LP.

C-A

Sylph of Doom

Well, I wouldn't bring up the bagels if they weren't related to Dangan Ronpa somehow. :yogi: And don't forget the Ultimate Bullshit. Anyone have a clue? I'm getting disappointed.
Yours in Eternity

inb4 the whole series is ultimate bullshit

Oh man, I've really been getting into Danganronpa recently. I watched the anime and wanted to play the games, and was tempted to buy it on steam. Since my brother owns a Vita, I bought it for that instead and we're currently playing it together. Loads of fun, probably won't check this topic so often 'cause of spoilers. Just wanted to chime in my support for the series (or maybe just the first game right now).

lonechallenger wrote:
Oh man, I've really been getting into Danganronpa recently. I watched the anime and wanted to play the games, and was tempted to buy it on steam. Since my brother owns a Vita, I bought it for that instead and we're currently playing it together. Loads of fun, probably won't check this topic so often 'cause of spoilers. Just wanted to chime in my support for the series (or maybe just the first game right now).

If either of you have any difficulty figuring out any mystery or death in DR 1, I will point at you and laugh. :ron: I had more difficulty playing Clue, DR is piss-ant kindergarten compared to that.

C-A

Sylph of Doom

*only mystery that was solved before class trial was case 1 of first game*
Yours in Eternity

Spider wrote:

Dude, if you cannot figure out the mysteries before the class trials in majority of the game's cases, you really need to learn how to use logic.
How anyone could have been fooled for Chapter 3 or Chapter 4 is beyond me. (Or even Chapter 5)

C-A

I've felt worse.

More reviews.

Well, Kyouko is relatively helpful, but it makes me wonder why she's not the one leading the debates.

TheDoctor wrote:
Well, Kyouko is relatively helpful, but it makes me wonder why she's not the one leading the debates.

Because she's an icky-icky guuuurl.
Also, she's too intelligent. She would have taken one look at the crime scene and said "I got it" and any further investigating done by the player would prompt her to say "I don't need to look at this" and "Why would I waste anymore of my time on this?" and then immediately head to the trial. It would make the players feel stupid. (Not me, I personally would've loved that. Also would've loved being able to skip section of the trial, simply by saying "Okay, y'all shut up about that and let me present this, which proves this. I don't care if you're slow and need me to hold your hand in explaining why this is so significant, but it would save us all a lot of time and repetition, so just nod." Would have saved me a lot of time, anger and headaches.)

C-A

Okay, someone get on that Dangan Ronpa Rewrite now. Lol

Also, relevant...
Spoiler: Really large image

Sylph of Doom

CatMuto wrote:
Spider wrote:

Dude, if you cannot figure out the mysteries before the class trials in majority of the game's cases, you really need to learn how to use logic.
How anyone could have been fooled for Chapter 3 or Chapter 4 is beyond me. (Or even Chapter 5)

C-A

Well, I'll tell you exactly how. :yogi:

Case 3 I was just plain disinterested because as soon as the robot costume got involved, my brain turned off in a fit of "I cannot believe this stupid lot right now." Probably my least-favorite in the series. Didn't focus for crap.
Case 4 I had my suspicions for who it was that had a hand in the suicide, but I didn't figure the corpse was tampered with after-the-fact. That was an oversight as I had it pinned in my head as an assisted suicide.
Case 5 I knew we were taking down the puppetmaster, but I thought it would be one of the survivors, a scenario which would be heartbreaking as I liked each one at least a little. The whole story with Junko and her sister came off as rather contrived to me and, quite frankly, I hated Junko's design as a fashion model and kept myself from thinking of her, even though her death WAS different from most others, but hindsight is 20/20.

My problem is that I play like a spectator instead of a detective. I think "oh, I wonder what's going to happen" instead of "ok, let me see how this fits."
Yours in Eternity

Quote:
They ask the viewer to fill in the blanks because they know that the audience really WANTS to see them together.Also, relevant...
Spoiler: Really large image

Yup. Yup, that's pretty much how I felt while playing DR... I understand your frustration, Kirigiri.

Quote:
Case 3 I was just plain disinterested because as soon as the robot costume got involved, my brain turned off in a fit of "I cannot believe this stupid lot right now." Probably my least-favorite in the series. Didn't focus for crap.

You didn't even have to focus to figure out the going ons during Case 3. :ron: Also, this is the game where a bear talks to you and people are 'talented' for being good at their equivalents of jobs, but THE ROBOT is what strikes you as odd?

Quote:
Case 4 I had my suspicions for who it was that had a hand in the suicide, but I didn't figure the corpse was tampered with after-the-fact. That was an oversight as I had it pinned in my head as an assisted suicide.

Who even cares about the body post-discovery? It was obviously a suicide before you even enter the room.

Quote:
Case 5 I knew we were taking down the puppetmaster, but I thought it would be one of the survivors, a scenario which would be heartbreaking as I liked each one at least a little

Also a scenario that probably would have been better, actually. Like in the game ENIGMA, it turns out that the protagonist is (likely) the killer of the family, but it's a split personality deal and he doesn't realize it, until fully confronted with it. And even then, refuses to believe it, since he's such a sweet guy to begin with. (But the game is a giant head fuck, anyway)

Quote:
even though her death WAS different from most others

Her death was nothing but rehashing the previous deaths. That's not different. :ron:

Quote:
My problem is that I play like a spectator instead of a detective. I think "oh, I wonder what's going to happen" instead of "ok, let me see how this fits."

My problem with the game is, it's just too freaking easy to figure everything out. Then the revelation of the world's end having happened seems dumb. The characters are not deep, even if you spend time with them. And the game couldn't decide if I should give a fucking crap about the dead students or if I should laugh at them. I'm all for laughing when things are dark, but here it kept switching, like it couldn't decide.

I heard that the INTENDED message of the ending was the "high school students 'graduating' and leaving into the adult world" and making it more symbolic, showing the insecurity a student might feel. You know, nice as a symbol that is supposed to be, you CAN'T pull that off when you tell me THE FUCKING WORLD ENDED OUTSIDE AND IS, SUPPOSEDLY, UNINHABITABLE!

C-A

1000% Knight

CatMuto wrote:
I heard that the INTENDED message of the ending was the "high school students 'graduating' and leaving into the adult world" and making it more symbolic, showing the insecurity a student might feel. You know, nice as a symbol that is supposed to be, you CAN'T pull that off when you tell me THE FUCKING WORLD ENDED OUTSIDE AND IS, SUPPOSEDLY, UNINHABITABLE!

Well in the original it was unclear whether the world had actually ended or not, which actually... kind of adds to the metaphor.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

I've felt worse.

Bad Player wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

Well in the original it was unclear whether the world had actually ended or not, which actually... kind of adds to the metaphor.

So Junko is the whiny kid who doesn't want to grow up, plays with stuffed bears, and would rather die than become a responsible mature adult? That almost makes sense.

Bad Player wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

Honestly, I would agree with it being vague in DR 1... but only because of those fucking Monokuma heads everywhere. Was that supposed to be funny or intimidating? (Cause it definitely ain't the latter) But as it is, it's supposed to be obvious. Again, kind of hard to believe vagueness when I keep being told it did happen. (Either by Fukawa, though I am inclined to ignore her input; by Junko, who is the villain so why should I believe anything she says or simply declining to not believe it, because I am not physically shown anything beyond a fucking screenshot, which could easily be faked)

C-A

Sylph of Doom

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

You didn't even have to focus to figure out the going ons during Case 3. :ron: Also, this is the game where a bear talks to you and people are 'talented' for being good at their equivalents of jobs, but THE ROBOT is what strikes you as odd?

Well yeah, in every case I can get the BASIC goings on without focusing, but I just didn't take the time to figure out the minor details before the class trial because by that point I stopped caring.

Quote:
Quote:

Who even cares about the body post-discovery? It was obviously a suicide before you even enter the room.

The difference is Asahina's involvement. Yes, I could tell it was a suicide from the very beginning, despite the blows Sakura took. The point was that I didn't have everything figured out, as I figured the story may have been that Aoi decided to help Sakura with her suicide and, fearing that that made her her killer, hid that fact from everyone. I didn't think it was just a cover-up for the sake of revenge, which was a rather beautiful twist to me. Just figuring out the basic cause of death doesn't mean case-closed.

Quote:
Quote:
even though her death WAS different from most others

Her death was nothing but rehashing the previous deaths. That's not different. :ron:

I was referring to her sister Mukuro's death, known then as Junko, who was neither murdered nor executed in-game. She was killed as a kind of demonstration, which should have stuck out to me. I probably never would have put their relation together, but with "Junko" dying that way in chapter one I should have kept it in mind. When it came time to reveal the puppetmaster, it was essentially a way to not only kill her own sister AND make an example out of her, but also have a bit of a fake-death for herself. That was actually pretty brilliant, but so mind-fucking that I was a bit turned off by that twist too. Especially since, as stated before, the mastermind was the character I never liked from the get-go.

Quote:
Quote:

My problem with the game is, it's just too freaking easy to figure everything out. Then the revelation of the world's end having happened seems dumb. The characters are not deep, even if you spend time with them. And the game couldn't decide if I should give a fucking crap about the dead students or if I should laugh at them. I'm all for laughing when things are dark, but here it kept switching, like it couldn't decide.

I feel like this is somewhat fixed in the second game and the side-game Ultra Despair Girls. I can't say anything about it getting easier or harder since I myself didn't figure out everything, but the class trials are in two segments in the sequel because they're so long.

And the end of the world scenario grew into a pretty solid plot to continue from with all of the games. The characters had SOME personality to them in the first game, but then in the second game they were seriously flushed out. I cared for a number of the second class and teared up at a few executions, though you need to fulfill the free time events to see them in their entirety.

As for laughing at the dead students... I never felt that urge. Not even in the first game. Closest was when Mondo was turned to butter (I'm hoping metaphorically) because of the force from the speed of his bike. And maybe the real Junko's death was a bit silly, but rather fitting at the same time? Like the punishment Count Olaf took in a Series of Unfortunate Events. (Movie, I haven't read the books.) Either way, I just didn't get the feel of the game switching like you did.
Yours in Eternity

Spider wrote:
Well yeah, in every case I can get the BASIC goings on without focusing, but I just didn't take the time to figure out the minor details before the class trial because by that point I stopped caring.

There are no minor details in DR. Only severely obvious things. Nothing is even remotely 'minor' or easy to overlook.

Quote:
Just figuring out the basic cause of death doesn't mean case-closed.

Actually, it does. The rest is just for the cheap sake of "Whaaaa, emotional dwama" and adds nothing. With a suicide, you don't need to know anyone else's involvement or emotional stance at or before the time. With a murder, yes, but not a suicide. Motive and all that junk.

Quote:
but the class trials are in two segments in the sequel because they're so long.

Which is BAD, because again: too obvious = too much rehashing and prolonging of shit that could be cut down severely, if I was just allowed to say "This is what happened. Shut up. Case closed." and done.

Quote:
As for laughing at the dead students... I never felt that urge.

I'm not saying the player had the urge, I'm saying the game feels like it tried to MAKE me laugh at the dead students. If the character was annoying or obnoxious to the begin with, I can get some glee out of their death. But in DR's case, the characters are boring... so I honestly cannot feel a damn thing for them, neither laughing at their being dead or sad that they are gone. (It's the same in terms of voice-acting or storytelling, if the characters/narrative sound like they don't give a crap, why should I? Look at Battle Royale - preferably the book: some of the characters were shown to be annoying, so when they were killed off, you kinda were glad. Others were presented as good or pitiful, which made their deaths sad. When it came to a character who was more meh-emotionless about things, the narrative was dry, the death was kinda meh, too. But there, it fit, since it altered, depending on the character dying)

C-A

Sylph of Doom

Ok, and here is where I have to say let's just agree to disagree. Because, well, I disagree with pretty much all of that. I mean, it comes off like you hate the series itself, but whatever. :maya: It has different faults in my eyes.
Yours in Eternity

I don't hate the series, I was severely disappointed by it, due to all the praise it kept getting from the internet. So, while it is flawed, my raised expectations led me to judging everything in the game MUCH harsher than I usually would. So, yeah, is totally your guys' faults for making me so judgey about the game.

C-A

Preview for the Future and Despair anime (Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2 spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AaOjY0cBzg

Spoiler: Dangan Ronpa 2
The cast as Ultimate Despair:
Page 35 of 48 [ 1897 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 48  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station