Page 36 of 48[ 1897 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 48  Next

Re: Dangan-RonpaTopic%20Title

Phoenix Soul wrote:
Preview for the Future and Despair anime (Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2 spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AaOjY0cBzg

Spoiler: Dangan Ronpa 2
The cast as Ultimate Despair:

You can see how EVUHL they are by the deep, dark shadows in their faces. :dahlia:

C-A

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Really? I would have thought the GLOWING RED EYES were a better indicator of that.

Headcanon: None of them actually looked like that during their stint as Ultimate Despair. This was some bored member of (insert opposing faction here) Photoshopping them as a joke/prank/propaganda.

TheDoctor wrote:
Really? I would have thought the GLOWING RED EYES were a better indicator of that.

This is A) Danganronpa and B) Anime. Red eyes are totally normal to have in that medium, so they are not good indicators of evulness.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

This is A) Danganronpa and B) Anime. Red eyes are totally normal to have in that medium, so they are not good indicators of evulness.

C-A

Point taken, although glowing eyes aren't normal at all, even in Danganronpa.

1000% Knight

The red eyes just mean they're channeling the power of IshiMANu
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

I've felt worse.

So...no one's going to point out the dude with the lightning eyes? Or is that just expected from this series?
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Blah!

sumguy28 wrote:
So...no one's going to point out the dude with the lightning eyes? Or is that just expected from this series?

The normal character has blue lightning from his eyes when fired up, so yeah, you can say it's expected from this series.

sumguy28 wrote:

Given that Ishimaru had fire-blazing eyes when he turned into 'Ishida', it's quite normal for the series. In fact, lightning eyes are almost a step down.

C-A

迷探偵

First episode of Future was okay. It starts with an understandable link to the ending of SDR2, and then quickly works towards the ever-so-familiar set-up of the killing games. A bit too fast perhaps. There's obviously too little screentime to properly show off all the new characters in the first episode. I wonder what the set-up will be: like the games a murder per 'chapter', or something more like a film/mini-series, with a more condensed approach (which would definitely work better for the medium).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

^Agreed, I couldn't remember all the character names yet and
Spoiler:
already we have our first death. Right after the episode I looked up all the characters to see which one it was. I'd assumed the girl who got a bit more screen time than the rest, but wasn't quite sure at the time.
I like it so far, don't get me wrong, but I'm hoping the pacing issues from the first DR anime doesn't carry on to this one. Then again, I'm oddly fond of the anime adaptation, and this one has a similar charm so far. Plus it did a pretty good job of introducing the setting, it's got me really invested.

迷探偵

lonechallenger wrote:
I like it so far, don't get me wrong, but I'm hoping the pacing issues from the first DR anime doesn't carry on to this one.

That's why I'm hoping they'll go with a story structure that actually fits the format, rather than following the structure of the games. I mean, it's completely new story they've written for the series, and not an adaptation, so I hope they work on the strengths of the format.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Not that crazy about Monokuma's new voice, although it actually makes sense given that the original character pulling his strings is a bit too dead to be doing that anymore.

It was terrible though. It did not take me long to figure out that the one character was either going to be the first victim or the first killer. Naturally, they had to prove me right.

Calling it now on the purpose of the bracelets. If the timer gets down to zero, they'll explode, killing all the wearers. The only way to add more time to the timer is to kill someone. That's one heck of a motivation; I mean, in the first game, the only people taken in by Monokuma's motivational promptings were a very specific subset of the group. Here, it's not hard to imagine even Naegi himself might be tempted to kill someone if it means keeping everyone/himself from blowing up a little while longer. This is of course assuming that's the purpose of the bracelets. It's not as if they'd explained them yet.

TheDoctor wrote:
Calling it now on the purpose of the bracelets. If the timer gets down to zero, they'll explode, killing all the wearers. The only way to add more time to the timer is to kill someone.

...I was gonna say, that sounds a lot like Battle Royale (2). But then, the game's idea IS based on the Battle Royale novel... sort of. There, they had explosive collars around their necks. If they tried to take them off without properly knowing out, they'd explode. Remaining in a Danger Zone, the collar explodes. And if 24 hours pass without a single death, all the collars on the students would explode.

Quote:
Not that crazy about Monokuma's new voice, although it actually makes sense given that the original character pulling his strings is a bit too dead to be doing that anymore.

Wait... wait... what? English or Japanese voice?

C-A

Well since the anime literally just started I'm going to say Japanese

CatMuto wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

C-A

Monokuma's Japanese voice is different than its original (AFAIK, no dub has been announced yet). The exact reasons for the real life change I don't know. My quote was referring to the mastermind from Danganronpa being a bit too dead to be in control of Monokuma in the new arc.

Spoiler: DR 1 & 2 Ending spoilers in case someone hasn't finished for some reason
Junko died, remember? Monokuma was able to have the same voice in DR2 because it was all a simulation, but now that the new game is taking place in the "real" world, it makes perfect sense for Monokuma to have a different voice, given that Junko really shouldn't be up to the job.

迷探偵

TheDoctor wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

C-A

Monokuma's Japanese voice is different than its original (AFAIK, no dub has been announced yet). The exact reasons for the real life change I don't know.

Oyama is suffering from dementia, so she had to quit voice acting. Tarako, best known for voicing Maruko in Chibi Maruko-chan is now doing the voice.

That's sad. Oyama's portrayal of Monokuma was one of my favorite things about the game. Kind of helped sell the whole "evil cute thing" angle.

Ash wrote:
Oyama is suffering from dementia, so she had to quit voice acting. Tarako, best known for voicing Maruko in Chibi Maruko-chan is now doing the voice.

Aw, that's... that's terrible.

Spoiler: Monokuma
Honestly, the whole real/fake world thing doesn't make sense to me. After all, Monokuma's voice was done by someone different from Junko's, anyway, so what does it matter?

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Spoiler: Monokuma
Honestly, the whole real/fake world thing doesn't make sense to me. After all, Monokuma's voice was done by someone different from Junko's, anyway, so what does it matter?

C-A

Spoiler: Response
I'd always assumed Junko was either using a voice synthesizer or altering her own voice to sound like Monokuma. If that's the case, as long as the Monokuma virus was developed prior to her death, the virtual Monokuma should sound as much like the original as all the virtual remnants of despair sound like their physical counterparts.

Of course, had Oyama been able to continue with the role, Monokuma's voice would sound the same with no in-story justification, either purposeful or accidental.

His new voice was a bit off-putting at first imo, but I think we can get used to it. By the end of episode 1, I already had. It still lacks something the original did though… maybe it was too iconic? He's purposefully meant to sound like Doraemon after all.

(Also I only realized the other day Monokuma and Doraemon's parallels. They both use 'boku' when referring to themselves and have Dorami/Monomi, Monokuma=Psychopath Doraemon confirmed, jk jk.)

迷探偵

Tarako has a very distinctive voice/way of pronunciation as Maruko (and you can definitely recognize it in her Monokuma voice), but the problem is of course she also tries following in the footsteps of Oyama's work, so she kinda gets stuck in between, where she can't really do her own take on it.

The Doraemon - Monokuma parallels are on purpose, but for most Japanese players, Monokuma's new voice still conjures up that weird effect of having a cruel character with the voice of a household icon everybody knows.

(I assume that given time, Tarako will be able to get a more personal take on the voice, similar to the Yamada-Lupin III and the current Kurita-Lupin III)

Ash wrote:
(I assume that given time, Tarako will be able to get a more personal take on the voice, similar to the Yamada-Lupin III and the current Kurita-Lupin III)

Most likely. What I read from the American Sailor Moon version, during some of the early voice changes for 'Serena', one of them sounded stiff because she was trying to imitate and keep the style of voice the previous voice actress did. But over time, she stopped that and grew into her 'own Serena' and sounded much better. Same with when I started doing the AA LPs and gave voices to the characters. I think I got better in the later cases and found a way to voice Maya with a higher voice, without straining my chords too much. (Though I think I am still proudest of my Regina voice, because it was just so highpitched.)

C-A

TheDoctor wrote:
Calling it now on the purpose of the bracelets. If the timer gets down to zero, they'll explode, killing all the wearers. The only way to add more time to the timer is to kill someone. That's one heck of a motivation; I mean, in the first game, the only people taken in by Monokuma's motivational promptings were a very specific subset of the group. Here, it's not hard to imagine even Naegi himself might be tempted to kill someone if it means keeping everyone/himself from blowing up a little while longer. This is of course assuming that's the purpose of the bracelets. It's not as if they'd explained them yet.

Yes, this is probably how it's going to unfold. A traditional killing game would not work with that group of characters since they all went through the Tragedy and they would have theoretically no reason to betray everyone to get out at all costs.

I enjoyed the first episode. It was "good" (+ hype) but it felt a bit rushed. Maybe they could have introduced the Monokuma situation in episode 2, but I can see why it would have unnecessarily dragged things out. Otherwise, I bet
Spoiler: DR3 Ep1 + DR1
that girl's death is a Mukuro Ikusaba type of situation.

EDIT: I stumbled upon the new killing game rules while checking the DR wiki, if you're interested here they are (be careful, it may be spoiler-ish) :
Spoiler: New killing game rules
"Everyone is fitted with a strange bracelet that releases a sleeping potion at a fixed time. While asleep, the traitor in their midst kills a Future Foundation member. To survive, they'll have to ferret out the traitor and stop the killing. The class trial rules do not apply to this killing game."

Now watch Kirigiri not being killed until deep into the anime for the sake of hope and despair, when a rational mind would have murdered her right off the bat for obvious reasons.

Manecleis wrote:
Otherwise, I bet
Spoiler: DR3 Ep1 + DR1
that girl's death is a Mukuro Ikusaba type of situation.

EDIT: I stumbled upon the new killing game rules while checking the DR wiki, if you're interested here they are (be careful, it may be spoiler-ish) :
"Everyone is fitted with a strange bracelet that releases a sleeping potion at a fixed time. While asleep, the traitor in their midst kills a Future Foundation member. To survive, they'll have to ferret out the traitor and stop the killing. The class trial rules do not apply to this killing game."

Now watch Kirigiri not being killed until deep into the anime for the sake of hope and despair, when a rational mind would have murdered her right off the bat for obvious reasons.

Oh, god, please no. I hope your theory is wrong, because come on, guys. You already pulled that, do something new!

As for those rules... sounds stupid.

If you make everyone defenseless, why not kill or injury everyone fatally? Sorry, you can't put someone into such an obviously uneven game and NOT expect cheating.

C-A

Spoiler: New Killing Game Rules
Doggone it, I was hoping for more of a Virtue's Last Reward situation than a Zero Time Dilemma thing. You'd think it'd be more despair inducing to put them in a situation where you have to kill at least one person or everyone dies.

Also, what kind of asinine plan is that? You kill off enough people, they'll eventually run out of suspects, and it'll get to the point where even Hagakure could figure out who the culprit is.

Actually, in a way, I almost hope he does, just in order to lampshade how stupid this plan is.

Then again, it's entirely possible one of the "victims" will have faked his/her death in an attempt to "cleverly" avoid suspicion. I sincerely hope that's not the case because it's been done already (sort of). It's bad enough that the DR2 murders followed roughly the same pattern as the DR1 murders. We don't need more rehashing.

Quote:
even Hagakure could figure out who the culprit is.

Given how stupid and pointless Hagakure is, I think even if the only ones remaining were him and a murderer, the murderer could just say "But you're a ghost!" and Hagakure would believe it. I hate Hagakure so much... he is a pointless comic relief character. And why even make a character like that, when they cannot even properly fulfill the role they are supposed to do?

Quote:
Spoiler:
Then again, it's entirely possible one of the "victims" will have faked his/her death in an attempt to "cleverly" avoid suspicion.

Honestly, if that happens and we actually see things... I will say it sounds a lot like the manga Doubt!. The idea of that manga was pretty cool (a small group of people are stuck in a place, someone is beginning to kill people and they try to survive, while thinking more and more that one of them is the killer... hence the Doubt title)

Spoiler: Doubt!
And yes, the first victim to be found - full on view of the body and all - was the girl who turned out to be the mastermind. How did she survive, despite us seeing her body? Well, she can hypnotize people (which is how she made one of the group her killer), apparently, so we... I dunno, believed her to be dead? It was pretty dumb.

Had the last chapter of that manga not happened, it would have been much better. Thankfully, the guy's later manga Judge was better.

C-A

1000% Knight

CatMuto wrote:
Spoiler: Doubt!
And yes, the first victim to be found - full on view of the body and all - was the girl who turned out to be the mastermind. How did she survive, despite us seeing her body? Well, she can hypnotize people (which is how she made one of the group her killer), apparently, so we... I dunno, believed her to be dead? It was pretty dumb.

Had the last chapter of that manga not happened, it would have been much better. Thankfully, the guy's later manga Judge was better.

C-A

Doubt had a great atmosphere and cool plot developments, but the ultimate solution and resolution was disappointing. I never finished Judge (subs just stopped coming), but... I couldn't tell what was going on half the time, and the logic and stuff was messy. It felt a lot like a third-rate Liar Game to me... (I had heard that the tankobon version of Doubt had some panels/pages added from the original serialized version in order to clarify what happened in some scenes where it was tough to understand what was going on, so I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Judge scans I had were from the serialized version.)
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Bad Player wrote:
Doubt had a great atmosphere and cool plot developments, but the ultimate solution and resolution was disappointing. I never finished Judge (subs just stopped coming), but... I couldn't tell what was going on half the time, and the logic and stuff was messy. It felt a lot like a third-rate Liar Game to me... (I had heard that the tankobon version of Doubt had some panels/pages added from the original serialized version in order to clarify what happened in some scenes where it was tough to understand what was going on, so I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Judge scans I had were from the serialized version.)

I stopped reading Judge halfway through, cause I couldn't find any scans anymore and Germany doesn't have it. Of course. But someone on a forum gave a comprehensive telling of what happens the rest of the manga. I have to say, I rather like the revelation for Judge a bit better - it at least doesn't pull that much of a giant ass out of itself.

Doubt had good atmosphere... I found the fact on who the 'Wolf' was a little too... obvious. And the villain's motive was... pretty dang weak.

C-A

You know, I'm wondering why it is they decided to make the Despair Arc a prequel to Danganronpa 2. People who've already played DR2 knows exactly what's going to happen to the characters, and I really don't give a crap on how they got to be that way. I'll still watch the first couple episodes on the outside chance it manages to be entertaining, but I still don't understand the point.

They have to be connected somehow. Maybe certain things that happen in the Despair Arc will provide some explanations for the Future Arc events and twists?

TheDoctor wrote:
You know, I'm wondering why it is they decided to make the Despair Arc a prequel to Danganronpa 2. People who've already played DR2 knows exactly what's going to happen to the characters, and I really don't give a crap on how they got to be that way. I'll still watch the first couple episodes on the outside chance it manages to be entertaining, but I still don't understand the point.

Well the Despair arc is obviously how they all became the remnants of despair. It ties in to the other Arc as well. So saying its not important, and you don't give a crap if your interested in the story is a contradiction.

I'm not interested in the premise as is. I'm hoping they somehow found a way to make it interesting. I don't want another Star Wars prequel trilogy fiasco.

Maybe because they're not adapting DR2, they have this despair arc to make up for it. Perhaps it's more interesting this way, and we still get to see our favorite DR2 characters animated.

TheDoctor wrote:
People who've already played DR2 knows exactly what's going to happen to the characters, and I really don't give a crap on how they got to be that way.

Because shut up, we're making money! :ron:

C-A

Seriously though. The whole Ultimate Despair thing never made sense to me anyway. DR1's mastermind basically started a worldwide cult that people went along because reasons. If you were to tell me it was due to a virus or parasites, that's at least something I could swallow. But I really have a hard time swallowing people basically getting excited about despair, which is so contradictory, I don't know where to begin. That basically amounts to the majority of the world's population being a few eggs short of a dozen. My belief in humanity's good side is weak, but not that weak.

Last edited by TheDoctor on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor wrote:
Seriously though. The whole Ultimate Despair thing never made sense to me anyway. DR1's mastermind basically started a worldwide cult that people went along because reasons. If you were to tell me it was due to a virus or parasites, that's at least something I could swallow. But I really have a hard time swallowing people basically getting excited about despair, which is so contradictory, I don't know where to begin. That basically amounts to the majority of the world's population being a few eggs short of a dozen. My belief is humanity's good side is weak, but not that weak.

Well, this is a game based on a world where we're supposed to swallow that one school shooting caused the entire society of Earth to collapse. :ron:

I don't get it either and it doesn't make sense. I've heard that the weird feelings of the kids when leaving the Academy at the end of DR1 was supposed to invoke the uneasiness students simply feel when graduating and leaving their school life behind, joining society's workforce and all, but no proper knowledge of what is waiting for them out there... which doesn't work when you put the whole "The world kinda ENDED" into it.

Honestly, I always felt like the whole world thing was out of left field and not properly planned in to begin with. Like, they couldn't really explain Monokuma's reasons for causing school killings, unless they made it into a world plot... which I disagree with. Given how Monokuma and the mastermind were both displayed as being, well, INSANE, we don't need reasons. Monokuma makes it clear that he finds the whole killing thing freaking hilarious. Why not stick with that?

Also, unless this Despair anime will actually show, say, the members taking the mastermind's body parts and applying them to themselves, I doubt it can really do well...

C-A

TheDoctor wrote:
I'm not interested in the premise as is. I'm hoping they somehow found a way to make it interesting. I don't want another Star Wars prequel trilogy fiasco.

Well you gotta understand the first half also focuses on the remnants of despair which is a huge part of the plot which lead to the downfall of Hopes Peak Academy. So of course your gonna want to know how it all turned out. Plus you can't really say you already hate the idea if only one episode is out. Just keep watching, and then you can have the right to judge it. I remember when I used to hate Fairy Tail, then i decided to keepwatching,and give it a try. Now i like it. Just let the episodes play before making an assumption. You know what they say. When you assume,you make a ass out of you, and me.

Side Note:
Spoiler: FUCKING MONOKUMA
Can't believe they killed off Asahina

Spoiler: DR3 Future, Ep2
At least the rules are somehow more logical than I thought. The hunter gets enough to time to kill just one person, and they're put back to sleep when their target is dead. If there is any cheating, they are under the threat of the poison killing them instantly, so they can't mess with the rules.

The big guy's death was so uneventful, like:
- Everyone: OMG he's dead, why???
- Kirigiri: it was his forbidden action, idiots.
- Everyone: oh, OK. So what's up now?

And I'm pissed they killed off Asahina. Of course part of the mystery will be figuring out how the killer could have entered the "locked" room where Naegi's group was hiding. They're going to accuse him unanimously and Kirigiri will come up with a clever theory to save him, like she always does.

Is it me or the girl in a wheelchair who talks through Usami looks a lot like Monaka?

Spoiler: Despair Game Rules and EP2 spoilers
Calling it now, Kirigiri's forbidden action is solving any of the murder cases. That is the only thing that would excuse the killer from waiting until later to kill her.

I'm pretty pissed about Asahina too. It couldn't have been Hagakure or Fukawa or something? Nope, it had to be Asahina. Personally, I'm hoping her death was a fake-out, although if it was, that pretty much kills any suspense I had about any of the surviving cast members possibly being killed off. If they kill off Kirigiri too, but leave Hagakure alive, I'm placing this show in discontinuity.

Regarding the locked room though, wasn't the SHSL Wrestler with them too? He could easily have been the culprit, so there's no point in everyone pinning this on Naegi. Of course, it can't be the wrestler since there's still at least ten episodes left. It'd be far too obvious, which might not be considered a problem in the games, but in an anime where the true culprit's identity has to remain hidden for a while, it won't work out too well.

Spoiler: DR3 Future, Ep2
I had not thought about this for Kirigiri! That would make the character pretty much irrelevant though. However, I assume she would be smart enough to pull the strings and expose the right points without going against the rules.

I mean, I don't care about Hagakure in the least, but it's cruel to just kill off the survivors we've grown to like when basically everyone else seems unlikeable and stupid.

About the murder: Naegi will probably be accused again because everyone had their sights set on him, and I believe he had blood on his hands when he woke up and witnessed Asahina's body, which puts evidence against him.
Regarding the actual locked room mystery, I suppose it will have to happen/be solved with some sort of way to enter the room, since it would otherwise mean that the traitor is either the shy girl or the wrestler, and it would kill off every hope of suspense.
Page 36 of 48 [ 1897 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 48  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station