Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 84 of 103[ 4090 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 103  Next

Re: Random conversations about GamesTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
Not to mention, character interaction (such as it is in a Zelda game) was pretty much restricted to Skyloft.

Who cares? The NPCs either have nothing important to say (ignoring Orielle, who is another hint giver) or interesting. And I liked the overworld in Skyward. A nice overworld that was not just boring areas, I actually had things to do there instead of 'just' looking for potential stuff in grass.

C-A

*signals frantically from side stage*

Remember Cat other peoples opinions are valid too. You can't fairly reply "who cares?" To someone's point because them raising the point in the first place implies they do care or that it does matter to some people.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Cat this should really go without saying at this point but just because you personally don't care about something doesn't mean the vast majority of players don't care either

yeah Pierre cut me but I don't feel like deleting it

Anyway interacting with and exploring the environment (yes this includes NPCs) has been a big part of the Zelda series since the very first game and SS cuts back on that drastically. You might think it's "boring" or "pointless" having a world to search instead of having the game tell you exactly where to go and giving you no real incentive to look around for yourself, but most people who want a Zelda game don't care for that.

To use a series you seem to enjoy as an example, it'd be like if the next Tales game switched out the current combat system for a turn-based one like in the earlier Final Fantasies. What's the point of moving around and having to position yourself and all that nonsense during combat, just have a menu where you can click "Fight."

Pierre wrote:
Remember Cat other peoples opinions are valid too. You can't fairly reply "who cares?" To someone's point because them raising the point in the first place implies they do care or that it does matter to some people.

I just mean in general, if you are overall busy restocking for the next adventure or are busy going through a dungeon, would conversation with NPCs even register on your radar?

Quote:
You might think it's "boring" or "pointless" having a world to search instead of having the game tell you exactly where to go and giving you no real incentive to look around for yourself,

I want to look at the world (its environment, maybe secret caves or nooks and crannies in the field, monsters) and not its daily 'life' of unimportant characters. (Not counting Wind Waker here, because exploring THAT world was boring because it involved lots of sailing and looking at nothing but blue water and blue sky until you potentially bumped into anything)

Quote:
To use a series you seem to enjoy as an example, it'd be like if the next Tales game switched out the current combat system for a turn-based one like in the earlier Final Fantasies. What's the point of moving around and having to position yourself and all that nonsense during combat, just have a menu where you can click "Fight."

Honestly? Wouldn't bug me. Especially since VI is among my favorite Final Fantasy games. The only thing I'd expect - given the things technology can do nowadays - is the battle system not being slow like it was back then.

C-A

If the battle system in Tales doesn't matter then there's no point in the series even existing; the character designs are nothing special, the characters themselves are nothing but a pile of typical anime tropes, and the stories are the same thing you could find in any number of JRPGs. see I can do that too

Gettin' Old!

Quote:
I just mean in general, if you are overall busy restocking for the next adventure or are busy going through a dungeon, would conversation with NPCs even register on your radar?

Yeah I get that you mean in general, that's why its offensive: You are dismissing other people's opinions because you think that generally your opinion is right and no one cares otherwise. Like you said "who cares?"

But games can do wonderful things with NPCs and they can be an enjoyable part of an adventure. Xenoblade and Undertale are examples that stand out in my mind but clearly some people value NPCs in Zelda which is why you can't dismiss their concerns like they don't matter TO ANYONE.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
If the battle system in Tales doesn't matter then there's no point in the series even existing; the character designs are nothing special, the characters themselves are nothing but a pile of typical anime tropes, and the stories are the same thing you could find in any number of JRPGs. see I can do that too

Oh, someone doesn't know that Tales generally deconstructs those 'anime tropes'. :ron:

Quote:
Yeah I get that you mean in general, that's why its offensive: You are dismissing other people's opinions because you think that generally your opinion is right and no one cares otherwise. Like you said "who cares?"

Fine, I'll flat out ask. What difference does it make to the experience? What do you CARE if you talk to an NPC and he tells you about how he cooked dinner last night and burned it? Or how the windmill have been standing still cause there's not much of a breeze lately? Does it change anything? Does it have an impact on the game or your experience? It doesn't. It's pointless information that serves no purpose, other than to waste your time.

No, I do not count NPCs who turn out to be important - like the people in Undertale who serve more of a purpose - or semi-important to a plot. Like the little girl with the Gibdo father in Majora's Mask. They are semi-important to advance the plot. Those don't count, cause they serve a purpose. I am talking about the moving furniture NPCs. The ones in bars, who drink constantly and leer at the waitresses and tell you how drunk they are. Those aren't important.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Franzise Deauxnim wrote:

Oh, someone doesn't know that Tales generally deconstructs those 'anime tropes'. :ron:

Nope apparently not, I've played three Tales games: Phantasia or whatever the first one was called (got bored after a couple hours), Symphonia (supposedly one of the best games in the series, got bored after one hour), and Tales of the World something or other on PSP (complete garbage, literally nothing but fetch quests, don't even remember if there WAS an actual story.) I don't have the time or patience to play halfway through a 60+ hour game just to see if it ever starts to get good.

Having "unimportant" NPCs in a game enforces the idea that you're playing in an actual world instead of just an area with a few people whose sole reason for living is to give you something to do.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

CatMuto wrote:
Does it change anything? Does it have an impact on the game or your experience? It doesn't. It's pointless information that serves no purpose, other than to waste your time.

This is how I feel about fanfiction, but you don't hear me barking at people why I find the whole concept pointless.
You're wasting your time writing a story that is:
1. Not canon
2. Possibly shittier writing than the source material
3. Satisfies no one but yourself because that's who it's intended for
so why bother going through all that trouble in the first place? Oh right. You must've really enjoyed the world/characters of whatever it is you're writing about.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Tales of the World something or other on PSP (complete garbage, literally nothing but fetch quests, don't even remember if there WAS an actual story.)

To be fair, that one's just a really shitty spin-off. The only Tales I've ever really enjoyed was Vesperia, and I've gone through Abyss, Graces F, Xillia 1 and 2, and parts of Zestiria and Symphonia.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Nope apparently not, I've played three Tales games: Phantasia or whatever the first one was called (got bored after a couple hours), Symphonia (supposedly one of the best games in the series, got bored after one hour), and Tales of the World something or other on PSP (complete garbage, literally nothing but fetch quests, don't even remember if there WAS an actual story.) I don't have the time or patience to play halfway through a 60+ hour game just to see if it ever starts to get good.

You can't write a game OR A WHOLE SERIES OFF after barely playing a few hours!! :tigre: Also, just FYI, that Tales of the World you played on the PSP? Likely Radiant Mythology, in which case, that is a crossover spin-off game and is chockfull of fanservice. (Half the stuff includes references to what happens in the games and the rest is seeing all these characters together) Yes, there is a story. I admit, the first RM game is not all that good - I don't know if they didn't have much time or a large budget for it, since it does feel halfhearted, but it's good for what it is. A first crossover of multiple Tales franchises and characters bouncing off each other.

Also, ONE hour. Oh wow. You played Symphonia for one hour. That definitely gave you a way to show how good the game is-YOU DIDN'T EVEN GET PAST THE PROPER INTRODUCTION PHASE!

Quote:
2. Possibly shittier writing than the source material

If you read shit fanfiction, that's your fault. I have read (and written) some fanfiction that was just as good, if not better, than the canon material. (Mostly cause the fanfiction, at times, actually adresses potential plot holes or inconsistencies)

Quote:
3. Satisfies no one but yourself because that's who it's intended for

You wanna go look at the reviews of my stories? Several of them do talk in a way like what I wrote satisfied them. (Can't say I write just to satisfy myself, though I admit my 'disclaimer' for one of my Xillia stories is to 'correct' pairings, but that's mostly said as a joke)

Quote:
You must've really enjoyed the world/characters of whatever it is you're writing about.

Probably. Again, look at my stories. I tend to focus on a few characters, all of them the more major ones or the more important NPCs. Say, Driselle or Nova from Xillia and Xillia 2. I like the characters. The world? Depends. Frankly, Xillia's world is semi-bad and could use some revamping.

Quote:
To be fair, that one's just a really shitty spin-off. The only Tales I've ever really enjoyed was Vesperia, and I've gone through Abyss, Graces F, Xillia 1 and 2, and parts of Zestiria and Symphonia.

Vesperia had such a convoluted, What-the-hell-is-your-point story. Like, it started on something, then focused on something else and then on some third thing, before dropping in a villain that was kinda "Bwuh?" out of nowhere. (Xillia 2 has a similar problem, but that's a semi-rushed, unplanned 'sequel' just to appease fans who complained about how rushed Xillia was)

C-A

Danksgiving

see this is why we cant have nice posts

uhhh pretty sure I can totally do that

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
I don't have the time or patience to play halfway through a 60+ hour game just to see if it ever starts to get good.

1000% Knight

Well, 1 hour is not nearly the halfway point of a 60 hour game...
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
uhhh pretty sure I can totally do that

Oh, sure, you can do that. But nobody will take your opinion seriously. :ron:

Bad Player wrote:
Well, 1 hour is not nearly the halfway point of a 60 hour game...

That, too. I only played 4 hours of Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light. I have no idea how long the game is in total, since I gave up. The parts I played ranged from okay to nothing happened, this is boring. But I don't say the entire game is shit because of that.

C-A

If a game doesn't pique my interest at all after playing it for a full hour, I'm not going to keep wasting my time with it

Also I'm being condemned for not playing a game long enough to judge it by someone who regularly judges games she hasn't played at all

Sounds about right :yogi:

Danksgiving

to quote a wise man

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Also I'm being condemned for not playing a game long enough to judge it by someone who regularly judges games she hasn't played at all

Because I can usually tell from the premise/story/characters/genre if it is something I would enjoy. Say, Undertale already looked like something I wouldn't like. Given what I have picked up from internet osmosis or looked up, I can tell I would not have enjoyed the game - and would enjoy it less now, due to its overhype. (Besides, it's not a regular occurence)

C-A

Last edited by CatMuto on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danksgiving

CatMuto wrote:
Franzise Deauxnim wrote:

Because I can usually tell from the premise/story/characters/genre if it is something I would enjoy. Say, Undertale already looked like something I wouldn't like. Given what I have picked up from internet osmosis or looked up, I can tell I would not have enjoyed the game - and would enjoy it less now, due to its overhype.

C-A

oh im sorry i didnt know that you had psychic powers and were allowed to bash a game you havent played while Kill La Kill lady isnt

Mister Gruel wrote:
oh im sorry i didnt know that you had psychic powers and were allowed to bash a game you havent played while Kill La Kill lady isnt

FYI, sarcasm is done in orange. And 'Kill La Kill lady' isn't bashing a game she hasn't played, she is bashing games (and a whole game series) that she hasn't fully played. If someone can tell (from experience or knowing one's preference) whether a game is one they would or would not enjoy, it doesn't bother me. It's when someone starts, but doesn't finish a game and decides that the entire game is shit that annoys me. Especially if you merely played 1 hour. Which, in most games, is barely past an introductory phase of getting to introduce the main character, world or plot.

You can say that the parts you played were not enjoyable, so you decided to not put more time into you.
You have no right to say you only played a part of it, but call the entire thing shit. Because you don't know that. For all you know, things did improve.

C-A

ASCEND

CatMuto wrote:
Franzise Deauxnim wrote:

Because I can usually tell from the premise/story/characters/genre if it is something I would enjoy. Say, Undertale already looked like something I wouldn't like. Given what I have picked up from internet osmosis or looked up, I can tell I would not have enjoyed the game - and would enjoy it less now, due to its overhype. (Besides, it's not a regular occurence)

C-A

Which means they played Tales of Symphonia for an hour longer than you played Undertale before decideing they wouldn't like the game. If you can decide whether or not you will enjoy a game without playing it, they can decide whether or not they'll enjoy a game after playing it for an hour.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

I've felt worse.

What is this, the third time we're having this argument?
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Danksgiving

sumguy28 wrote:
What is this, the third time we're having this argument?

i think theyre doing it again because im new here

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Planetbox wrote:
If you can decide whether or not you will enjoy a game without playing it, they can decide whether or not they'll enjoy a game after playing it for an hour.

This right here.

Cat, it's not fair to judge someone's actions and condemn them for it when you do the same thing.

I guess to have made it more fair, perhaps Fran shouldn't have played Symphonia at all and just looked up reviews, see what the internet thought, and maybe watch a gameplay video to make a fair judgment.

Thing is, it's all about first impressions too. If people hate the first hour of a game, they have every right to want to put it down and never pick it back up. And just because you love or hate something doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you. I know you're aware that everyone has different opinions, but you have a very poor way of letting someone have their own opinion when it's different than yours.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Speaking of Tales of Symphonia, I bought that on sale from PSN for $5 almost a week ago. Still waiting for it to finish downloading. :tigre:

1000% Knight

ITT: you all are conflating "disliking a game" with "thinking a game is bad"

dullahan1 wrote:
I guess to have made it more fair, perhaps Fran shouldn't have played Symphonia at all and just looked up reviews, see what the internet thought, and maybe watch a gameplay video to make a fair judgment.

The only thing I agree on there is looking at gameplay footage. Because I would not suggest looking at reviews or asking 'the internet' what they think. Because it is too heavily biased and they will either tell me "It's shit" or "It's awesome". Watching gameplay footage is a good way, because you see (generally) unedited footage of the game, not made up by the developers to entice you to buy. It's just what the game actually offers.

Quote:
If people hate the first hour of a game, they have every right to want to put it down and never pick it back up.

They have a right to that and say the first hour was shit, but not that the entire game was horrible. That's my point! You can't say a game you didn't play entirely is horrible in its entirety.

Yes, I say Undertale is overrated and likely mediocre because of that, but even if I didn't play it, I looked up enough to know about the characters, events and similar to decent judge how my reactions would go down.

Quote:
Speaking of Tales of Symphonia, I bought that on sale from PSN for $5 almost a week ago. Still waiting for it to finish downloading.

Only Symphonia or also Ratatosk?

C-A

迷探偵

Having played through Sakura Wars 2 ~ V the last two months, I decided to replay the first Sakura Wars again, which I originally played in 2009. I had forgotten that it had a slightly different style for the background images, and that the game was a bit more difficult than the later games (despite being able to use the "cover" command eight times, instead of three). It's still a fun game though, and I'm really impressed especially now I've played the whole series. For some reason, the development team came up with this weird idea (a steampunk-inspired mech SRPG with dating sim elements, inspired by Japanese revue and theater and utlilsing many, many big name voice actors), and then somehow got pretty much everything right in one try. Sure, later games improved things here and there, but they really don't differ that significantly from the base set in the first game. The game has a sense of confidence it really shouldn't have, because it's a pretty eclectic game. You'd almost think the developers knew right from the start the game would be a huge success, that would result in many spin-off games, anime series and even a succesful run in theaters and performances by the voice actors in a venue like the Budokan.

Fantastic voice actors throughout the series by the way. A lot of them are (surprisingly) really good singers too. I wonder if the voice actors knew they'd be cosplaying and acting as their own characters in theater shows and musicals right from the first game on. Some of the voice actors had singing experience already, but I had never guessed that voice actors like Mayumi Tanaka (Luffy, Krillin, Laputa's Pazu) or Kazue Ikura (City Hunter's Kaori) could sing so good, live! This live performance of Yume no Tsuzuki (SW2 ending) for example shows how much of a carrying song both of them have (Tanaka/"Luffy" starting at 1:33, Ikura at 3:14).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Behold the awesomeness of my Nameless LP - now in HD! (Cause that's the only way I could record at a lower resolution, before altering it in the editing programm to a higher resolution so the text will be easier to read) Though I personally could care less about HD. It looks nice, at times, but I don't see it as all that important.

Also, my first Nameless video - the beginning for Lance's route now has 20 views! Yeah!
Still no comments, though...

And my Xillia 2 playthrough right now is overall doing a dang good job at avoiding to pay into my debt, beyond the times I have to do it to advance the plot. (Helps that I'm avoiding doing a lot of quests, so I tend to not get close to the payment limit) Then I can pay all that crap off post-game or so and not give a crap anymore.

C-A

PS: Holy crap, Milla with some actual, proper curves!

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:
Speaking of Tales of Symphonia, I bought that on sale from PSN for $5 almost a week ago. Still waiting for it to finish downloading.

Only Symphonia or also Ratatosk?

C-A

I think the latter. There was a second game included in the deal, though I can't remember the exact title.

TheDoctor wrote:
I think the latter. There was a second game included in the deal, though I can't remember the exact title.

Its English title is 'Dawn of the New World' - which is STUPID because the new world BARELY factors into the plot! You'd THINK seeing Sylvarant and Tethe'alla people interacting and learning about each other would be a huge factor, especially since it's only been 2 years, but NOPE! It's barely a footnote of a sidequest... :ron:

Then again, this isn't a problem with the original title Knight of Ratatosk, since Ratatosk is more in the focus. I know this sounds condescending, but I think you wasted your money. Ratatosk is a terrible game and it's not even a 'sequel'. When I learned that the Unisonant version was coming out, I thought Namco had decided to actually add some shit into Ratatosk... nope. They did NOTHING to alter the problems it had or features it lacked during its original release. Still no costumes, still no Holy Bottles, still no proper cooking, still nerfed Symphonia cast, so you'll use monsters (which are stupid and terrible party members) and still think Martha and Emil have a genuine relationship. Oh, but wait! You have hats! Joy in heaven, you can put HATS on your TWO party members!

...I'm gonna go brush my teeth and start cleaning. :ron:

C-A

1000% Knight

CatMuto wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

-snip-

Me and my friend are playing Pokemon Chronicles (that's what we call it, at least) right now and liking it just fine.

...Having someone to laugh at all the stupid bits with might help though.

Gardevoir lover

I've been playing Zelda Spirit tracks.

I'm glad i finally get to play this game after all these years and so far honestly it's probably one of my favorites, the Zelda here is one of my favorites, though my favorite Zelda is still Tetra.

It might just be my imagination but i feel like this game is alot more cinematic than Phantom Hourglass.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

ASCEND

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
It might just be my imagination but i feel like this game is alot more cinematic than Phantom Hourglass.

Nah, I feel the same way. Phantom Hourglass was kind of... not good... but Spirit Tracks was a lot better. I think that was pretty much when they figured out just what the DS could do regarding Zelda games.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Gardevoir lover

Planetbox wrote:
Klonoahedgehog wrote:

Nah, I feel the same way. Phantom Hourglass was kind of... not good... but Spirit Tracks was a lot better. I think that was pretty much when they figured out just what the DS could do regarding Zelda games.

Phantom Hourglass really does hurt to get through, the only saving grace is that it has Linebeck, he is such a likeable character. Made me feel a bit weird when you visit his grave in Spirit tracks.

CatMuto wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

Its English title is 'Dawn of the New World' - which is STUPID because the new world BARELY factors into the plot! You'd THINK seeing Sylvarant and Tethe'alla people interacting and learning about each other would be a huge factor, especially since it's only been 2 years, but NOPE! It's barely a footnote of a sidequest... :ron:

Then again, this isn't a problem with the original title Knight of Ratatosk, since Ratatosk is more in the focus. I know this sounds condescending, but I think you wasted your money. Ratatosk is a terrible game and it's not even a 'sequel'. When I learned that the Unisonant version was coming out, I thought Namco had decided to actually add some shit into Ratatosk... nope. They did NOTHING to alter the problems it had or features it lacked during its original release. Still no costumes, still no Holy Bottles, still no proper cooking, still nerfed Symphonia cast, so you'll use monsters (which are stupid and terrible party members) and still think Martha and Emil have a genuine relationship. Oh, but wait! You have hats! Joy in heaven, you can put HATS on your TWO party members!

...I'm gonna go brush my teeth and start cleaning. :ron:

C-A

Well, considering I don't believe you can't buy the first game on PS3 without buying the second, I'd hardly call it a waste of money unless the first game is crap too. Ergo, as long as the first game's good, I'd say the second game is just free, needless "bonus" content (unless I end up liking it). Worst case scenario, it won't take up space on my hard drive.

Wow, seeing a bunch of non-negative talk about Spirit Tracks lately

This pleases me

Gardevoir lover

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Wow, seeing a bunch of non-negative talk about Spirit Tracks lately

This pleases me

There was negative talk about the games?

Spirit Tracks has never been particularly popular with the majority of the Zelda fanbase

Then again the Zelda fanbase can be pretty ridiculous, the Zelda Cycle meme exists for a reason

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Wind Waker is the best Zelda. All others are shit. Fact.

Twilight Princess was better than Wind Waker.

Hey, I said it in red. It must be true.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

TheDoctor wrote:
Twilight Princess was better than Wind Waker.

Hey, I said it in red. It must be true.

Blak The Great wrote:
Wind Waker is the best Zelda. All others are shit. Fact.

Page 84 of 103 [ 4090 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 103  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station