Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 7 of 9[ 326 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Re: The Tales Of seriesTopic%20Title

I've felt worse.

Another Bears party member revealed.
No, not Yami, the guy below him. Apparently his name is Aizen. And if this is a prequel to Zestiria, then we already know his fate.

Which brings me to my other spoilerrific Zestiria rant.
Spoiler:
Edna agrees to go along with Sorey's party because they agreed to search for a way to purify Edna's brother, Eizen, who had become a dragon. In an end-game sidequest, the party decides that the only way to help Eizen is to kill him. Small problem though, they never bothered searching for a way to purify dragons. They don't do any research on the idea, and the only fully formed dragon they faced was considered a special case that prevented purification. Maybe the idea was that Edna had to accept that there were things she couldn't save, but then the bonus dungeon has the party succeed in purifying a zombie dragon (which, for the record, is just a reskin of Eizen and a boring fight to boot) with absolutely no explanation if they did anything different. So as far as I can tell, they gave up on purifying Eizen even though they could have done it anyway.

"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

sumguy28 wrote:
Another Bears party member revealed.
No, not Yami, the guy below him. Apparently his name is Aizen. And if this is a prequel to Zestiria, then we already know his fate.

Not Yami? Awww... :sadshoe: Then again, this Aizen guy looks familiar... might be the hair. Who knows.

Also, regarding that thing you talked about, I think it was done for pure, cheap drama tragedy. Because we need that.

Though if that really will be the case, that just shows the bad sides of doing a prequel of an already released game. I mean, it's like making a prequel of Symphonia that focuses on the Kharlan War and builds Martel up as a very important plot piece. You instantly cause nobody to care about her, because you know she's gonna die at some point in the game (given the influence it had on Symphonia, likely at the end) and know that, well, her only purpose in the game would be to die.

You know. Like Aerith.

C-A

1000% Knight

This is what I saw.
Spoiler: Not for the faint of heart

Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

I've felt worse.

Tales of Zestiria: the X (or is it a cross? or the letter chi? who cares?) is four episodes in and it's already better Alisha DLC than the actual Alisha DLC, but that's not saying much.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

I've felt worse.

THE CAMEO COSTUMES FOR BEARS DON'T INCLUDE YURI OR LEON WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?
Also Bears is getting released on August 18 in Japan for PS3/PS4. The localized version comes out next year for PS4/PC.

sumguy28 wrote:
THE CAMEO COSTUMES FOR BEARS DON'T INCLUDE YURI OR LEON WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?
Also Bears is getting released on August 18 in Japan for PS3/PS4. The localized version comes out next year for PS4/PC.

What!? Obviously Velvet is gonna get Rutee's outfit... considering her default ALREADY looks like it ripped it off. (literally)
I'm glad to see a Ludger outfit and DEFINITELY happy to see an Arche outfit, which I think wasn't used all that often...?
I am disappointed that we have Natalia again.
Don't get me wrong, I love Natalia, but it's about as overused as Cless/Stahn/Leon/Yuri.

C-A

1000% Knight

Me and my friend started Zestiria yesterday. At the beginning, but looks neat so far.

A Kirby and AA fan

I've always always always wanted to play a Tales of game so badly, but I just plain suck at them, I think. The first time I tried playing, it was with a friend who owned Tales of Symphonia, and after a while he said he'd rather play with the computer AI than me...
I then tried a few others, though I can't remember which, and I almost get slaughtered in the beginning every time.

It's so strange, because I'm generally good at games. And I'm not bad at traditional RPGs and I'm good at reflex games (though not FPS or RTS games).

And it's so sad... Because as I said, I really wanna play these games because they do look interesting...

Can I ask, what is your difficulty with the battle systems? I know there are different ones ('Team Destiny' tends to make ones with CC, where even moving requires CC; others by 'Team Symphonia' are more... loose, old-time hit 'em) but, in general, they are the same.

C-A

A Kirby and AA fan

I... honestly don't know. I feel like I completely get what is required of me, but I only manage to barely survive any battle, and then I just give up because I can't go on like that.
I just... get hit too often, I guess? To be fair, I am also really bad at fighting games, so I guess it's only natural I'd also be bad at the battle system in the Tales games?

Maybe I just really suck at dodging and timing my attacks or something... Maybe I'm too impatient to wait it out and counter. Though, that strategy is difficult when you're up against multiple enemies

1000% Knight

Which Tales game is this, exactly?

Guarding/dodging can be tougher in some of them compared to the others... (So hard in Zestiria right now, since you get animation locked really easily ~_~)

Also against multiple enemies, you usually want to position yourself so you can hit/stun most of them at once and/or only one of them can hit you.

And are you talking about bosses or regular encounters? Regular encounters probably shouldn't be a huge issue (although there are definitely Tales games that require a grinding session or two), but I generally find Tales bosses pretty tough.

A Kirby and AA fan

I don't remember which games I tried anymore... I know I at least tried one on the DS?
And these are early encounters. Like, early early

Nurio wrote:
I don't remember which games I tried anymore... I know I at least tried one on the DS?
And these are early encounters. Like, early early

On DS? Sounds like Hearts or Innocence... haven't played either, so I can't say if the battle system is difficult on those to get used to. I know that Abyss on the 3DS is a TAD uncomfortable to play for a long time - and the touch screen sucks for shortcuts.

C-A

A Kirby and AA fan

Yes! Hearts, that sounds familiar.
I've played others, but I really can't remember even on what platforms those were. They're kinda suppressed memories... Don't think it was 3DS, though

1000% Knight

omg Hearts is amazing

Yeah I remember the beginning being kinda tough. It gets a lot easier once you get all your party members and a couple of artes, since then you can consistently hit enemy weak points (which is really important).

It's also one of the 2D Tales games. Maybe try one of the 3D ones...?

A Kirby and AA fan

I also tried 3D ones, for example, Tales of Symphonia. That doesn't change a thing.
If anything, I thought 2D would've been better and easier, but nope. Still got slaughtered.
Are there maybe general tips and hints for, well, not sucking in combat?

1000% Knight

spam attacks

set AIs to defensive so that they don't constantly get themselves killed

that's pretty much what i do. sometimes bosses and tougher enemies require guarding/quickstepping, but otherwise it really isn't that bad at the 'casual' level.

PS: try one of the 3D ones that isn't Symphonia, since they all have free run which might make things better.

A Kirby and AA fan

Thanks! Any game in specific I could try out?
My options are... probably very limited since I only own Nintendo consoles and a PC

I've felt worse.

Nurio wrote:
My options are... probably very limited since I only own Nintendo consoles and a PC

You can get Tales of Zestiria on PC, though I wouldn't call it a good entry point to the series.
Other than that, there's Tales of Graces on Wii. It's Japan only, though, and I heard it was filled with bugs.
So not the best options, but there are options.

1000% Knight

sumguy28 wrote:
Nurio wrote:

You can get Tales of Zestiria on PC, though I wouldn't call it a good entry point to the series.
Other than that, there's Tales of Graces on Wii. It's Japan only, though, and I heard it was filled with bugs.
So not the best options, but there are options.

There's also the 3DS version of Tales of the Abyss. Besides that, uh... dunno man. I think PS3 is really the main Tales console, I think.

Oh! You could *snort* get Symphonia 2 on the Wii.

Berseria is coming out on the PC next year, but... dunno how that since it's not out yet.

Nurio wrote:

If you have a 2/3DS, I might suggest Abyss. Not only are story and characters pretty good, it also opens with a simple in-game training on how the battle system works. Though my personal dislike is still the touch screen part for shortcuts. But I do love how you can have the map open at the bottom screen when not in battle.

C-A

A Kirby and AA fan

Abyss it is, then! Thanks, guys!

Nurio wrote:

Okay, just two tips.
1) The game is notorious with having a lot of sidequests and very weird and tiny timeframes for them. Don't bother to try to get most of them; just play the game and enjoy the plot. If you enjoyed it enough, you can do sidequests on NG+.
2) Also, I don't know if this glitch was fixed for the 3DS version, but try to obtain Berserker on a first playthrough. (Fight a total of 256 Battles on Hard, without changing difficulty in between and talk to a guy very late in the game - you can wait for this until you are very strong and head to earlier levels)

C-A

A Kirby and AA fan

CatMuto wrote:
Nurio wrote:

Okay, just two tips.
1) The game is notorious with having a lot of sidequests and very weird and tiny timeframes for them. Don't bother to try to get most of them; just play the game and enjoy the plot. If you enjoyed it enough, you can do sidequests on NG+.
2) Also, I don't know if this glitch was fixed for the 3DS version, but try to obtain Berserker on a first playthrough. (Fight a total of 256 Battles on Hard, without changing difficulty in between and talk to a guy very late in the game - you can wait for this until you are very strong and head to earlier levels)

C-A

I already have trouble with combat. Think I can fight 256 consecutive battles on Hard difficulty? =P

You can make use of the training session in the beginning, get used to the battle system.
Plus, if you do the Hard difficulty battles at a point when you are so strong that you can kill enemies from the first 'dungeon', I'm sure even YOU could do. =P

C-A

A Kirby and AA fan

Oh, you mean, just battle monsters several levels lower than me? Sure, that should work!

I've felt worse.

It's not a current-gen Tales game without a little controversy, I guess.

The short version is that a scene in Bears had to be reworked for the English release so the game could keep its 16 rating. I understand that, Bamco's a business. What I don't understand is that this series has had
Spoiler: nothing that hasn't been shown in trailers
a child getting stabbed
before, and they didn't need to censor it then.

sumguy28 wrote:
It's not a current-gen Tales game without a little controversy, I guess.

The short version is that a scene in Bears had to be reworked for the English release so the game could keep its 16 rating. I understand that, Bamco's a business. What I don't understand is that this series has had
Spoiler: nothing that hasn't been shown in trailers
a child getting stabbed
before, and they didn't need to censor it then.

Same reason as why anime are more censored these days, than they were back in the 1990s. People (mostly parents) have their panties in such a tight bunch up their ass, they cannot fart anymore.

C-A

I've felt worse.

So the demo for Bears Berseria Bears was released today and here's what I got out of it:
-The PC version runs fine. It has a bit of screen tearing, but my computer can run it at 1080/60 without any slowdown.
-Velvet fights with a retractable blade, was introduced with a pirate theme, and fights antagonists who probably think they're doing the right thing. This is just begging for Assassin's Creed DLC.
-Combat is fun, at least more fun than Zestiria. Every character plays decently enough, and the boss fights shown were alright. except for that cat witch that just kept summoning reinforcements which inevitably led to the entire field being covered in AoE spells aaaaaaaaaaaaa
-New controls, apparently. Artes are mapped to the face buttons, free-run is automatic, and the camera is controlled by the right stick. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it works.
-The demo is split into a story demo and a battle demo, and the story demo told me absolutely nothing about the story. I'm fairly certain that searching for a member of a species of living plush toys that are technically higher beings is probably not what the story is mainly about.
-I get the feeling I'm really going to dislike Magilou. She's the least fun to play as, her battle quotes are way too high pitched, and her design just screams ridiculous. Who decided that a BOOK SKIRT was a good idea?

I'm still not entirely convinced on buying it, but it's something.

sumguy28 wrote:
I'm fairly certain that searching for a member of a species of living plush toys that are technically higher beings is probably not what the story is mainly about.

So... Mieu is a higher being? :eh?:

C-A

I've felt worse.

Laphicet I'm already a daemon.
There, now that I got that out of the way, Tales of Bears... it's fun so far. Combat is mostly solid. Velvet is somewhere on the line between actually being dark and "ow the edge (is calling tonight)." Other than that, I really don't have much to say about it after 12 hours.

I've felt worse.

(most of this was in the trailers)
Gee, Velvet is a protagonist who lost her parents and had to take care of her younger sibling, watches her younger sibling die and is cursed with power that the entire world is made to fear, decides that the best course of action is to kill the guy in charge, and forms a pseudo parent/child relationship with a kid who got dragged into the journey. Never heard that one before.
I know I'm nowhere near finished with the story, but that's what I've gotten out of it so far.

I've felt worse.

CatMuto wrote:
sumguy28 wrote:
I'm fairly certain that searching for a member of a species of living plush toys that are technically higher beings is probably not what the story is mainly about.

So... Mieu is a higher being? :eh?:

C-A

Actually, yes.
You can't actually visit it though. Shame, I would have loved to kick it again.

Anyways, I think I just passed the 2/3 point of Berseria. The gameplay is fun, but noticeably flawed. On the plus side, every character is both unique and viable. Even Magilou, once I figured out how to use her. However, there really was no reason to split the arte tree among four buttons. The only real difference between this and previous battle systems is that sometimes I can change the direction of an attack. Spell-casters got the shaft with the new control scheme. If you wanted to chain-cast an arte, you have to fill up four arte-slots out of the 16 you get. You do get an item that unlocks shortcut arte slots, but that's only after 15-20 hours. Also for some reason bosses can just break your combo whenever they feel like it and respond with a non-mystic arte attack that may as well be a OHKO.
The story?
When the game isn't trying to be taking seriously, it's good. The character interactions are nice (aside from Velvet's constant "I'm a daemon" for the first third of the game), and the humor is mostly spot on. I'll even concede that Magilou is almost as funny as Jade. When it is trying to be taken seriously? Eh... it started strong, but then slowly started to drag. Then something interesting happened. Then it resumed dragging. Repeat about two more times.
The main villain was the one thing I was looking forward to. The game introduced him as someone who would sacrifice his brother-in-law so all of humanity would have a fighting chance against the daemon threat. Then the big plot twist happens and what do we get?
Spoiler:
"My wife was wrongfully sacrificed so I will rid the world of free will."

Also the dungeon designs suuuuck. Most of them. When they actually try to make an interesting location, it's an interesting location. The rest of the time? Remember Radiant Mythology 1's dungeons? Take level of detail in those, render it in 1080p, and throw in a gimmick or two. That's the majority of the dungeons in this game.

Quote:
(aside from Velvet's constant "I'm a daemon" for the first third of the game)

Oh, god. Is it like Cloud's constant "I am a monster that doesn't know if it may ever love" crap in VII?

Quote:
When it is trying to be taken seriously? Eh... it started strong, but then slowly started to drag. Then something interesting happened. Then it resumed dragging. Repeat about two more times.

So, it's like Xillia - strong start, boring semi-start. Up, down, up, down and nothing amazing that really stands out?

Quote:
Remember Radiant Mythology 1's dungeons?

No? Wait... yes. Yes, I remember those. Meh. But then, RM1 is pretty half-hearted. Not that RM2's dungeons were that much better... RM3 did better there, honestly.

C-A

I've felt worse.

Quote:
Oh, god. Is it like Cloud's constant "I am a monster that doesn't know if it may ever love" crap in VII?

Depends. Was that just Cloud being an angsty brooder? If so, then no. Velvet was mostly trying to justify to herself all the horrible shit she does as part of her quest for vengeance. Maybe it was necessary for her, but I didn't need her to constantly remind me about it. She does eventually get better about it, and even uses it as a joke once.
Quote:
So, it's like Xillia - strong start, boring semi-start. Up, down, up, down and nothing amazing that really stands out?

I'd probably put Berseria over Xillia, but that about sums it up so far. Still have a third of the game left, but I doubt they'll pull something amazing off.

I've felt worse.

That's it. That's the whole game.
No, seriously. Berseria's theme is "emotion vs reason" and I'm still not sure what the intended message was. Humans are inherently flawed creatures that can never truly achieve perfection? The world sucks and we should just deal with it?
As a whole the game was all right. The combat is (mostly) solid, the characters were (mostly) unique, it's the pacing that's off. There's an entire middle section that just seems to go on and on, and once that's over, the plot just goes on fast-forward.
Also, fuck the bonus dungeon. Xillia 2's bonus dungeon took me a week. This one took me two and a half weeks, mostly consisting of grinding.

So, is the game more Pro-Emotion or Pro-Reason?
I'm guessing Emotion cause power of friendship bla bla?

C-A

I've felt worse.

Pro-emotion, but replace power of friendship with people who are just barely tolerating​ each other because their goals cross paths. Or in Magilou's case, have nothing better to do and just troll the party because it's fun. Although the game does acknowledge that the party​members are technically the villains, and the antagonists faltered because they couldn't completely hold true to reason, but given the amount of speeches about why birds fly or what it means to be alive, it's probably pro-emotion.

sumguy28 wrote:
but given the amount of speeches about why birds fly or what it means to be alive,

Uuuuuuuurgh. Doesn't that sound like fun to listen to.
Okay, Tales has been heavy-handed with some stupid speeches before... but at least Symphonia kept its "We CAN get rid of racism!" messages until pretty much the final boss fight.

C-A

I've felt worse.

Another mobile game, Tales of the Rays has just been released in English.
The good news is that unlike the other mobile games, this one actually plays like a Tales of game.
The bad news is that it's still a mobile game, meaning touchscreen controls mimicking a gamepad, little optimization options for weaker devices, obnoxious tutorials, microtransactions, an always online requirement, and a loading screen for every single time you do something in the menu.
Also the first recruitable party member is Yuri. Woohoo.
Page 7 of 9 [ 326 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station