Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 1 of 1[ 10 posts ]

Infinity SeriesTopic%20Title

A visual novel series co-written by the same person who wrote the Zero Escape games. This series actually has lot of similarities to ZE in themes, plot points and even characters.

There are four games in the series (Technically five, but the fifth one is not considered canon by anyone, not even the writers): Never 7, Ever 17, Remember 11, 12 Riven and Code_18.

Currently I have played Ever17 and Remember11. LOved both of them, though I liked the pacing in R11 better and the story is great even if it's "incomplete" (which was probably intentional)

Feel free to share your theories about the series here! (I was going to say some I have about R11, but didn't have much time.)
Signature loading, please wait...
Re: Infinity SeriesTopic%20Title

Great Revival

I haven't played the games, but the order you put them is start to finish, right?

Yes, the games are not that related to each other but I would recommend playing at least Ever17 before Remember 11 due to a certain plot point. Never 7 also reveals some background info for the other games but it may not be to everyone's liking since it is mostly a dating sim and the sci-fi/mystery elements are more in the true route. (Ever17 has some of that but in a way lesser extent)

Great Revival

cesar26100 wrote:
Yes, the games are not that related to each other but I would recommend playing at least Ever17 before Remember 11 due to a certain plot point. Never 7 also reveals some background info for the other games but it may not be to everyone's liking since it is mostly a dating sim and the sci-fi/mystery elements are more in the true route. (Ever17 has some of that but in a way lesser extent)

Oh. Well, romance is gross. I'll play Ever17.
Anyway, thanks. I'll be sure to check them out, :edgey:

The video game boy; the one who wins

Look what I dug up from page 2. Hopefully I'm not howling into the void. Having just finished the Infinity trinity (Never7, Ever17 and Remember11 I mean) I'm pretty eager to collect my thoughts about them.

Never7: It does have the sci-fi-time-loop-thing-science-stuff I went after having played through the Zero Escape series by Uchikoshi (what is that man's deal with Schrödingers cat?!), but more as a spice to a story mainly about romance. Or several stories, because the routes are independant from each other. Romance, highschool-drama (most of the characters are in college, but that's still the best way to describe it) and slice-of-life-stuff isn't really my cup of tea, but nevertheless I enjoyed this title, even though it took its sweet time. The sci-fi elements are varying amounts of present depending on route, my favourites were those who focused more on it, especially the "true" route. It's not as mindscrewy as other Uchikoshi-titles, but the final route did provide some. Otherwise, it's quite chill and humorous a lot of the time. I found myself laughing a lot and it was pleasant just "hanging out" with the characters. The pro of having routes dedicated to one girl (love interest) at a time is spending that much time focusing on each of them kind of forces the characters to be less one-note and stereotypical (unless it's the one other guy of the group that only seems to be there to be annoying), even if they're not super-deep. The writing is a bit wax-poetic at times, although I kind of take that as a quirk of the narrator, making it quite charming and leaves him feeling less anonymous. Especially since it wasn't like that in the one bonus route where the character Yuka is narrating instead (too bad the story is so focused on guy hearting girl, or else I think she would have made for a better protagonist than the current one). It's not a title that makes me go "holy shit you gotta play this", but if you know what you're in for I do recommend it. I had fun with it, some of the storylines actually were quite touching, and the ending is cool.

Ever17: Reading reviews and opinions about Ever17 there's always this one thing that comes up: pacing issues. This game is looooong and there's loads of exposition, loads of banter, loads of filler scenes, before one finally gets to the core of the story, the final route, which most people think is more than worth the initial boredom. And yes, the game is a whole lot longer than it would have to be to tell the story. Some of the dialogues are way longer than they would have to be to get to the point (I feel like this is a problem in the Infinity series and ZE series alike: just explaining one simple concept or one simple line of reasoning gets drawn out to no end, but I feel Ever17 is the biggest offender of the bunch). It has five routes and it does not need five routes. That doesn't mean it's a total snoozefest until the final, though. The story moves forward, but pretty slowly. Some of the filler scenes are funny or interesting. The cast of characters bounce off each other well. And the final route is indeed amazing. Now, I can't really judge it in an entirely just way, since I had some things spoiled along the road (and for no real reason other than I got impatient) and above all I knew about THE twist (it has a lot of twists but I think those who have played it know what "THE" twist would refer to) from the very start (which honestly was what drove me to the game), so I have no idea what I would think about it going into the experience clueless, however, it was cool experiencing it from this perspective as well, looking for hints along the way and really seeing the story coming together. Ever17 has a nice setting with a special atmosphere (the soundtrack certainly helps creating that), a philosophical feeling about it, several touching and fun moments, but I think its greatest merit is the storytelling aspect in itself; when the pieces started falling into place I was really excited even though I knew where it was heading, just because it was done in a pretty cool way. It's long, the pacing is off, it drags on, the ending feels a bit cramped, it certainly has its annoyances, but if you're in for a long ride, and like grand twists and philosophical stories, and is interested in narratology, then I absolutely recommend it.

Remember11: My favourite of the bunch. I think this is a game that will stay with me. So has the other two, but especially this one. A big part in that I like it better than the other two might be because it doesn't have what annoyed me in them: the plot progresses steadily and plot relevant things happen pretty much all of the time, it has a sense of urgency going. I don't know how long it is compared to Never7 and Ever17, but it definitely feels shorter, and that is probably why. It also by far has the least romance. The characters feel less like anime archetypes (...instead, they are based on Jungian archetypes). There is less humour, but it is there. The atmosphere is really unsettling, it's definitely the darkest of these three. Yet I found it the most touching, and I'm not sure why. But there's something kind of dream-like and poetic about it when it's not creepy/mindscrewing. Anyhow, the atmosphere makes it the one I find closest to the Zero escape series in terms of the general feeling of it (I got into the Infinity series because of the Zero escape series, so it's a bit significant for me). The unease and feeling of being trapped reminds me of the atmosphere of 999, while the sci-fi aspect of it makes me think about VLR (not the content itself, but the atmosphere). I also really like both of the narrators, and they feel like characters in their own right rather than generic main characters, which helps a lot. Soundtrack is great. But. The ending. I'm personally glad I got into this already knowing that the ending feels unfinished, vague, very open. I think there was supposed to be more to it but compromising and limited time and/or budget did their thing. So on one hand, it's sad knowing it could have been more if the creators were able to work more on it, on the other hand, taking it for what it is, it's still amazing. And the ending does work for the story, it's just one has to do a fair share of digging through TIPS (explanations of concepts and other stuff) and bad endings (a lot of them are vital to get a grasp of what's going on), and pondering, and interpreting, and reading other people's theories in order to form a somewhat coherent understanding/interpretation of things. Which can be fun! But it's evident it wasn't originally supposed to be that ambigous. Anyhow, I loved this, and as long as one is prepared to do some detective work, I think many Zero escape-fans would enjoy this title.

All in all, I really like this series, and hopefully I can read 12Riven sometime in the near future as well.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

I have not played Never7 myself, but I agree with most of what you said. Especially Remember11, glad you liked it despite the ending. Even if it wasn't orginally intended to be that way, there really is a very deep meaning behind the ambiguous ending that completely justifies it being like that.

Also, sadly 12Riven hasn't been translated to English yet, and it is frustrating to not be able to play other games from this series, even if this one was supposedly not as good. More reason for me to keep learning Japanese, I suppose.

Indeed, considering... everything, if I hadn't heard about it being "unfinished" beforehand, I probably would assume it was planned that way, because it works.

I'm also a bit curious about I/O by Nakazawa (who worked on the three first Infinity games), Wikipedia describes it as a "spiritual successor" to Infinity. I... think that has been translated by some means...?

Oh, right, I have heard about that one. It looks interesting, the description I found certainly makes it sound similar to Infinity. And yes, there is a full fan translation patch available. Not sure if I can link it here since the site I found also has a download for the game itself though, but it should not be to hard to find.

Ah, awesome. Then I think I'll check it out... once I've recovered from Remember11 :edgey:

Enjoyed Never7 on VNDS, Painfully made it through the overated Ever17, and slowly (over the course of yeeeears) finding the time to finish Remember11 on PSP. I've gotten pretty deep into the story, starting to learn the twists of that one... it's good.
I honestly liked Never7 the best in some ways. I wish the dreamcast version was translated. but I would say PSP is the best way to play them in my opinion.
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station