Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 6 of 13[ 512 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next

Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

General Luigi wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? Disappointing boss fights. When there's a buildup to a very important fight, I expect the fight to be worth all the buildup. If the boss turns out to be a complete pushover, I'm going to be understandably annoyed. Of course, poor atmosphere (such as a lackluster arena) can also make a boss fight unimpressive. This is especially infuriating in the case of a final boss. This is supposed to be the climax, yet the game fails to make it feel like one.

Admittedly, this kind of disappointment is something the player can sometimes bring upon himself/herself. For example, in RPGs, if you're overleveled or you happen to be outfitted in a manner that makes a certain boss incredibly easy to defeat, then it's only natural that the fight is going to be a disappointment.

In the latter case I kinda find it hilariously satisfying when I steamroll a boss due to overlevelling.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

In Justice We Trust

It can be amusing, yes, although I'm still figuring out what makes a battle amusing rather than a disappointment. I think plot significance is often a part of it. If the boss in question is very important to the plot, I tend to be rather disappointed if the boss is defeated too easily. For example, the third-to-last boss in Rune Factory 4 proved quite a challenge for me even when I was equipped to get around its defenses. The second-to-last boss was a total pushover, which I found quite amusing, considering that an FAQ I had read for the previous boss had mentioned that this boss had the potential to take me out very easily. The final boss, however, also turned out to be a pushover in my case, which I found immensely disappointing.
I'll always love you, Max.

Gettin' Old!

General Luigi wrote:
It can be amusing, yes, although I'm still figuring out what makes a battle amusing rather than a disappointment. I think plot significance is often a part of it. If the boss in question is very important to the plot, I tend to be rather disappointed if the boss is defeated too easily. For example, the third-to-last boss in Rune Factory 4 proved quite a challenge for me even when I was equipped to get around its defenses. The second-to-last boss was a total pushover, which I found quite amusing, considering that an FAQ I had read for the previous boss had mentioned that this boss had the potential to take me out very easily. The final boss, however, also turned out to be a pushover in my case, which I found immensely disappointing.

I'd say if it's a battle against a memorable character it makes it more amusing as well. Case in point: Gilgamesh of the Final Fantasy series.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
I'd say if it's a battle against a memorable character it makes it more amusing as well. Case in point: Gilgamesh of the Final Fantasy series.

Quite honestly, I don't remember a thing about majority of battles against him. Only one quote and that's because people quote it a lot. The fight is pretty much... gone from memory.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Quite honestly, I don't remember a thing about majority of battles against him. Only one quote and that's because people quote it a lot. The fight is pretty much... gone from memory.

C-A

Yeah but you are quite an exceptional person no?

In any case it wasn't the example that matters as much as the point. Can you think of another character you did like and find memorable that you had to fight?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Pierre wrote:
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

C-A

Yeah but you are quite an exceptional person no?

In any case it wasn't the example that matters as much as the point. Can you think of another character you did like and find memorable that you had to fight?

Ghirahim from Skyward Sword. Asch from Tales of the Abyss, I enjoyed fighting against him. Those are the first two I think of when I think of characters I like that I have to fight in their games.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

Well there you go, the suggestion still stands.

Memorable characters = Amusing Boss Fights.

Also reminds me I should go back and finish Tales of the Abyss. :ron:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Sjibbey wrote:
MBr wrote:
Clicking the left stick to sprint. It hurts after a while.

Isn't there an option to relocate buttons somewhere?

That is an option, but usually you can't change that command because you select presets.

General Luigi wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? Disappointing boss fights. When there's a buildup to a very important fight, I expect the fight to be worth all the buildup. If the boss turns out to be a complete pushover, I'm going to be understandably annoyed. Of course, poor atmosphere (such as a lackluster arena) can also make a boss fight unimpressive. This is especially infuriating in the case of a final boss. This is supposed to be the climax, yet the game fails to make it feel like one.

Admittedly, this kind of disappointment is something the player can sometimes bring upon himself/herself. For example, in RPGs, if you're overleveled or you happen to be outfitted in a manner that makes a certain boss incredibly easy to defeat, then it's only natural that the fight is going to be a disappointment.

This is one reason I loved the boss fights in Lunar:SSSC; the bosses' stats increase according to your level, so there aren't really any particularly weak bosses. They stop getting stronger once you hit Level 50, but it's extremely unlikely you'll get much higher than that anyway since grinding at that point is awful.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Quick time events. If you want to test the reactions of the player, do it through the gameplay, not random button presses in cinematic events.

Gettin' Old!

MBr wrote:
Quick time events. If you want to test the reactions of the player, do it through the gameplay, not random button presses in cinematic events.

Eh I dunno I think there's a case to be made for quick time eve events when portraying something difficult to show through gameplay. There's times when it's still enjoyable to me like the knife fight cut scene in re4 and all of Asura' Wrath.

So long as the spectacle is entertaining enough and they ain't too arbitrary (mashing to pull open every door) then I think they are fine.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

aka Ami <3

Exact words marketing. Look, I liked Corpse Party as a game. I probably would've liked Corpse Party: Book of Shadows more, had I played it first. But as it exists, it promises several things that it delivers in exact words only. I'm still excited for Blood Drive, as it promises to be a unique ending to the game that adds a definitive ending.

Spoiler: Spoilers for the Corpse Party and Corpse Party: Book of Shadows
- Characters combat their fates with knowledge from the future! ... Twice. Exactly twice. And then the game sorta forgets about it. But the game never really explains why or how. Is it a 999 slingshotting of consciousness, magic, a blue box?

- The game develops the other characters more, telling their stories! Which is actually the BULK of the game, which was unexpected. It was actually interesting to have more gameplay as Morishige, Mayu, and the several other survivors met throughout the series. But it sorta wears thin when you know everyone is going to die again with no real changes. Developing the stories of Ms. Yui, ghost research lady whose name I can't recall, and especially Seiko (my favorite character) was given some more screen time.

- The game furthers the plot! ... At the very end of the game, and only if you either have a safe file from the previous game OR have gotten all of the bad endings from the previous chapters. And even then, it's like an hour of teaser... and so when they finally get to the ghost house of Sachiko, find Az Azilf/Necronomicon, and find out that Ayumi is related to Sachiko, that magic runs in their family, and then they botch a spell, and they randomly kill off Ayumi's sister for no reason to then cut to TO BE CONTINUED... it sort of left a bad taste in my mouth.

All in all, it's not that I was completely ripped off. I got exactly what was on the tin, just in a manner I wasn't expecting. I feel less like I was horribly ripped off, and more like I paid for one of those corrupt-a-wish genies that, instead of killing you, just takes your money. This game was like... twenty bucks? I really felt like this game was worth more around... five bucks, ten bucks if we really want to stretch it thin.

Well, here's to hoping Blood Drive, and the first numbered sequel Corpse Party 2 are better, eh?

Ace Explorer

Pierre wrote:
So long as the spectacle is entertaining enough and they ain't too arbitrary (mashing to pull open every door) then I think they are fine.

OK... Then what's your opinion of the Rites of Awakening in Bravely Default. All those amount to is 'mash X repeatedly to win', and
Spoiler: Bravely Default
given how you have to do it so many times in, like, 4 or 5 different worlds,

it kinda loses its enjoyability and spectacle after a while.
Well? Are we going or what?

You know, a Mario game!

General Luigi wrote:

A boss doesn't have to be easy to be disappointing, they can also be cheap, annoying, unsatisfying, and simply not fun. Just look at Jasper Batt JR. from No More Heroes 2. He's insanely difficult, but not in a fun way. He's so cheap, and so unsatisfying, that it results in a terrible final boss.
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

Shao-Kahn...

Gettin' Old!

Alonso Swift wrote:
Pierre wrote:

OK... Then what's your opinion of the Rites of Awakening in Bravely Default. All those amount to is 'mash X repeatedly to win', and

Arbitrarty and uninteresting. I've tried to break every single crystal I come across just to make it seem more exciting.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

1000% Knight

Alonso Swift wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Well, I don't think it's meant to be super-entertaining/interesting, but it's not like they're very long or very hard. And I think it's a lot nicer than just giving the player a yes/no choice or something.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Enoshima Junko-chan!

When people blame their team for losing, ie most LoL players.

I've felt worse.

MBr wrote:
When people blame their team for losing, ie most LoL players.

Ah yes, this perfectly describes my past experiences with Ace Online/Air Rivals before I said "screw this, I'm outta here" for the last time.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Games where control is taken from you in order to show you a cinematic angle of something you did. The Burnout games do it, and so do that Criterion-developed Need for Speed games. Sniper Elite 3 also does this.

Gettin' Old!

MBr wrote:
Games where control is taken from you in order to show you a cinematic angle of something you did. The Burnout games do it, and so do that Criterion-developed Need for Speed games. Sniper Elite 3 also does this.

Ah I quite like that on occasion makes something relatively mundane a bit more cinematic. Fallout does it all the time.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Horror/Survival Horror games that are dark 90% of the time. LIGHT THAT SHIT UP! Making it dark doesn't make it scary, it pisses me the fuck off cause I don't know where I'm going, what is ahead of me and if I die a lot in the game cause it was so fucking dark I could barely see a silhouette of something 2 inches from my face, that's not making the game difficult, that's just flat out STUPID difficulty! Why are you making it dark, anyway? Do your graphics suck so much you gotta HIDE them or I'll see what a shit job you did? :ron:

C-A

The darkness factor is what adds to the fear of the game because what you can't see makes it just that much scarier because you won't know whats coming at you. Also who cares if a game has bad graphics because you can have a great game with decent graphics and great storyline and gameplay and then you can have games with great graphics and shitty storyline and gameplay like for example Destiny.

Gettin' Old!

Hijikata Tōshirō wrote:
The darkness factor is what adds to the fear of the game because what you can't see makes it just that much scarier because you won't know whats coming at you. Also who cares if a game has bad graphics because you can have a great game with decent graphics and great storyline and gameplay and then you can have games with great graphics and shitty storyline and gameplay like for example Destiny.

My girlfriend insists old games from the ps1 era and the like are the best for horror as with the poor blurry graphics and the darkness of everything left more up to the player's imagination.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Hijikata Tōshirō wrote:

Because, as I said, darkness ISN'T scary. And even if it is, it's a VERY crude way to make things scary. Not being able to see what's going in the game isn't scary, it's annoying and it would piss me off to the point of slamming the headset down and rage-quitting because fuck that shit, I do NOT want to play a game that tries to scare me with "Oooooooh looookieee, it's daaaark, whooooooow~ *ghost noises and waggly fingers*"

Plus, darkness just leads to jumpscares. Which might work once or twice, but then you kinda don't give a shit anymore cause you go "Oh look it's dark over here. And that's where I have to go. JEEZ, wonder if something will jump out at me and make loud noise? Oh look at that, it happened. WHATEVER." since it's expected.

I'd rather have survival horror that goes more on the psychological side. Makes me question whether I, as the protagonist, am still sane or am going insane, if there really IS something coming after me or if I have lost it to the point of just making up something coming after me. Stuff like that. Not Darkness Jumpscare Whooooow!

And shitty graphics can be okay, but only if the story is REALLY good and if the environment DOESN'T matter to bring the point of the story across. DreadOut - everyone says it's boring, which I can see why, it lacks jumpscares a lot and it is short, but the environment is creepy (Too dark, once again) but I can see enough to see okay, well, maybe the graphics aren't that great (the bodyform of the protagonist and her friends seems a bit... wonky to me) but the story is decent enough that the not-so-great textures of the broken down school don't bother me much.

And much as I like Outlast and Outlast Whistleblower, with some good graphics as well (though some of the malformations and scars on the valiant and patients looks very weird) it's just TOO dark. AND focuses too much on Jumpscares. Or even Among The Sleep. It's kind of cute, but also creepy and the environment (toooo daaaaaark at times) does show imagination... which makes sense, considering the revelation at the end of the game.

C-A

Pierre wrote:
Hijikata Tōshirō wrote:

My girlfriend insists old games from the ps1 era and the like are the best for horror as with the poor blurry graphics and the darkness of everything left more up to the player's imagination.

That's what made the horror genre so great back in the day because they knew how to make great use of the games atmosphere and the players imagination.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Quick-time events are my pet peeve. About the only QTE's done right were in Batman: Arkham Origins during the Deathstroke fight, just because they were blended into gameplay almost seamlessly.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Darkness alone isn't scary. You need atmosphere and the player's imagination to make it work. Since you're deprived of your sight, you're going to make mental images over what you hear or feel from the game.

I find DreadOut and P.T. (the new Silent Hill demo) to be very good in the psychological aspect of horror. P.T. makes you feel like you're slowly going insane due to its repetitiveness. In DreadOut you're wandering around a pitch black environment with a flashlight with crappy range, hardly being able to see what is lurking around.

As for something that grinds my gears, why is Five Nights at Freddy's so popular? While it does have an intriguing story, the gameplay is just jump scares. A proper horror game has jump scares but also a psychological aspect to it. Once you figure out the movements of the enemies, FNAF becomes a chore and the jump scares get annoying.

Well, DreadOut you have an impossibly light smartphone... with a great battery and no memory disk suddenly popping up telling you it's full while you're taking pics to injure the ghosts... it's kind of weird. And yes, darkness alone isn't scary. And jumpscares lose their appeal very fast. I'd rather have a decently lighted area and just the environment and atmosphere making me feel uncomfortable. (Like Outlast's outside areas, with the fences... which also tends to have lots of fog so you can't see far, but goddammit at least you can see SOMETHING)

As for FNAF, eh... the story is a decent idea. (Animatronics from Suck E Cheese running murder rampant) But why it keeps going is beyond me! You're the nightguard and the first night you learn the animatronics are running around and WILL kill you if they see you moving. WHY does the player character keep coming back? After seeing that, I'd run for the hills and not return! And the idea is actually kinda dumb, too. What, children were kidnapped and murdered years ago, the bodies never found, the animatronics have been smelling like decomp and oozing blood and mucus, took a bite off of someone's frontal lobe in 1987 (the game supposedly takes place 1995 or our time, not sure) and it's STILL open? What sane person would ALLOW that?! How do they even have business AT ALL?! Yeah, whatever, Suck E Cheese will close down at the end of the year - why did it take them so long? If someone got munched and murdered in that place, it should've been forcefully closed down within MONTHS of those events!

C-A

Call me James

MBr wrote:
As for something that grinds my gears, why is Five Nights at Freddy's so popular?

The same reason other jump scare based games are popular. Case in point, this game, Slender, etc. This situation is what grinds my gears, too. Games like this being popular for no reason other than kids looking for the same thing over and over on Youtube, and people looking to make a quick buck by playing it with facecam, screaming and overacting (ermahgerd I'm so scared like and sub guys thanks) then putting a photo of themselves gurning or pulling a "scared" face up, to get pre-teens to view it and eat it up.
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/9935-Akira_E ... 44a161.gif

"I love the thrill of a good solution!"

Professor Yoshi wrote:
MBr wrote:
As for something that grinds my gears, why is Five Nights at Freddy's so popular?

The same reason other jump scare based games are popular. Case in point, this game, Slender, etc. This situation is what grinds my gears, too. Games like this being popular for no reason other than kids looking for the same thing over and over on Youtube, and people looking to make a quick buck by playing it with facecam, screaming and overacting (ermahgerd I'm so scared like and sub guys thanks) then putting a photo of themselves gurning or pulling a "scared" face up, to get pre-teens to view it and eat it up.

Pretty much why I also hate Pewdiepie

Professor Yoshi wrote:
MBr wrote:

I read that ProJared and Cr1tikal played FNAF and were not scared. Cr1tikal even had nothing but deadpan snark to give. Which is why I'll watch his LP of it. I already like his takes on those informercials.
(Upon seeing Chica in the dining room) "That duck looks like it has a soup ladle shoved up its rectum. Poor thing looks startled."
(While ranting at Phone Guy) "I'd like to emphasize the importance of a concise message that conveys what you want to say-" *attacked by Bonnie* "All right, excuse me, then."
(When Freddy visits him in the dark) "Serenade me, Fazbear. Serenade my candy ass."

I mean, I enjoy watching Krillin Plays scary games, but that's because it's Krillin from DBZ Abridged and scary games really allows Lani to play on Krillin being a butt monkey and easily scared - he's even stated to not be able to shut up when scared.

Then again, I find it weird if someone seems too scared by something in a game, whether the game is supposed to be scary or isn't. I like watching Sena play Zelda games, but he seems so... super surprised and worried when fighting the simplest of enemies... maybe he's just pretending...

C-A

Recently there was a southpark episode that made fun of people like pewdiepie.

High level play

Hijikata Tōshirō wrote:

Not LIKE pewdipie, he's actually in it and he's actually getting mocked in this week's episode (and probably also next week's episode)
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

(topic name)

Pokémon players who get online with a message asking people to battle them and then never respond when you send a battle request. That'd be about 97% of them.

Yeah, I know most are probably kids, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Besides, it's not like the game connects you to the net automatically, you have to make a conscious effort to get online, and there's very little reason to do so unless you're looking to battle or trade.

Sjibbey wrote:
Hijikata Tōshirō wrote:

Not LIKE pewdipie, he's actually in it and he's actually getting mocked in this week's episode (and probably also next week's episode)

The episode was pretty much at people like pewdipie and how kids these days would rather watch other people play games and overexaggerate their reactions instead of actually buying and playing a game.

Hijikata Tōshirō wrote:
The episode was pretty much at people like pewdipie and how kids these days would rather watch other people play games and overexaggerate their reactions instead of actually buying and playing a game.

I personally don't like it if someone exaggerates their reactions to something in an LP. Unless they are doing it with a heavy hint of sarcasm. Though most of the LPs I watch are of games I have played myself - I also enjoy watching Hardcores of some games. Like PBG and his friends doing Hardcore in Minecraft, MineZ or Terraria. Mostly cause I can tell Minecraft isn't the game I like playing myself - it really is more fun for me to watch someone else play it.

C-A

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I don't get what's going on with Sonic these past few years. They had something good going with Colors and Generations but now they seem content on changing every single thing in the new games.

High level play

MBr wrote:
I don't get what's going on with Sonic these past few years. They had something good going with Colors and Generations but now they seem content on changing every single thing in the new games.

Well concerning the new game Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric I can the main reason for the design change was marketability. Since the game was going to be paired with a cartoon series it would be a lot easier to 'tweak' the characters personality a bit.
For example: It's much easier to write a show where you have a dumb muscle-head instead of a character who guards a giant emerald for reasons. Now Sonic is the 'leader', Tails is the 'smart guy' Amy is 'girl power' and Knuckles is the afore mentioned 'dumb powerhouse'. And boy do they like to make these roles clear by spouting constant annoying one-liners (in the game).

Now if the characters are relatively blank slates the writers have more options to push the story in or even think up new back-stories for the new redesigned characters. If they used Sonic's old design than it would be a lot harder to get that new fresh start they were hoping for here. I'm not sure how this 'new sonic' translates to the cartoon, but the game suffers from the same thing which made Sonic 06 infamous: marketing deadlines. I've seen enough of the game by now to say that the game is unfinished and lacks quite some polish in lots of areas. But since December was around the corner they released the game in it's current state, resulting in a messy game.

If they took the time to develop the game properly than the game would have a lot less issues, cut scenes could be done PROPERLY and improve overall design. But finishing everything before the holiday season seemed more important for the Sonic Team.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

MBr wrote:

The last sonic game I ever played was the one for Dreamcast with Chaos and Shadow.
Page 6 of 13 [ 512 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station