Board index » General » Bar Exam

Page 2 of 12[ 441 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Re: New Weapon in the War against Spam: Ban Hammer for non-MTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Aww man now I feel like it's a leaderboard!

Quick question, I only banned one guy since it activated and I can see his name so why does it come up with two bans? It registers banning IP and Users separately?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Pierre wrote:

Quick question, I only banned one guy since it activated and I can see his name so why does it come up with two bans? It registers banning IP and Users separately?

And, I was tempted to add some sort of leader board (Notches on a ban hammer?, RPG stats?) But then I thought better off it. The ban hammer is a weapon, not a toy. I don't want to tempt people to ban hammer innocents just so they can 'level up'. But if there's some way to not encourage 'mistakes' while honoring those who do the dirty work, I'd be all ears.

Deleting the person's existence from the board, including posts, is one action, adding a new entry to the ban list is another. The ban hammer just handles them both for you at the same time, even if they're logged as two different actions.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Hey Woost, you're welcome.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Wooster wrote:
Mind, these screenshots, particularly the before, are not indicative of how it normally is. Nose, Gerk, General Luigi, Croik, Lunaria42 and Dematador can all be caught helping out. But I have been doing the lions share of the ban hammering. But special thanks goes out to General Luigi, he's been quite diligent in helping me fight spam. ( Though There was at least one week where I had to fend off the spam bots on my own, so in the mod log it's not uncommon to see only my name on a few pages ;_;)

So I want to give a big heart felt thank-you to our Mods/Admins, both old and new, and our non-mods that've wielded the ban hammer in the battle against spam. You've done well. I no longer feel particularly antsy thinking, "It's been 4 hours, I bet there's a spam bot. Oh look, there it is BAN HAMMER. *wake up* Hmm, better check the CR spam *Ban hammer*"

Thank-you thank-you thank-you

In the war against spam, the ban hammer (or gavel) is one powerful tool indeed. :gant-clap:
Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

1000% Knight

Wooster wrote:
Pierre wrote:

And, I was tempted to add some sort of leader board (Notches on a ban hammer?, RPG stats?) But then I thought better off it. The ban hammer is a weapon, not a toy. I don't want to tempt people to ban hammer innocents just so they can 'level up'. But if there's some way to not encourage 'mistakes' while honoring those who do the dirty work, I'd be all ears.

There is only solution.

Everyone, start banning people left and right to show Wooster that we don't need a leaderboard in order to ban innocents and make mistakes! :keiko:
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Gettin' Old!

Bad Player wrote:
Wooster wrote:
Pierre wrote:

There is only solution.

Everyone, start banning people left and right to show Wooster that we don't need a leaderboard in order to ban innocents and make mistakes! :keiko:

There are no innocents or mistakes beneath the banhammer! If they were innocent they would not be banned! Every ban is perfection! :karma-scream:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Bad Player wrote:
Wooster wrote:

There is only solution.

:beef:

Hehehehe

At your service.

A leaderboard won't do much good, and to highlight people who ban the most is inviting unscrupulous people to ban innocents. Saying how many bots were banned in a week or a month and a small message along the lines of 'keep up the good work!' would be a way of documenting it would be nice. It'd be honouring those who do bring the ban hammer down on accounts, but not encouraging the 'level up' mentality.
Mistakes do happen, the CR mods and those with the power are only human after all. Out of 100 bans or even 1,000 an innocent account will probably be banned. It's a matter of what the available evidence to them suggests.

I will admit, it feels nice to finally have some control in getting rid of these annoying bots now instead of having to wait on a moderator. Those things were bugging the heck outta me.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Gettin' Old!

dullahan1 wrote:
I will admit, it feels nice to finally have some control in getting rid of these annoying bots now instead of having to wait on a moderator. Those things were bugging the heck outta me.

Agreed.

Get a buzz out of doing it.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Jammin' like it's 2024

I have to say, it's nice to give something back after four years, even if it's only very small. :)
Does we even do these things anymore?

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Believe me, the gains to my sanity is no small treat. On the front page of the moderator logs (which currently lists from now until part of the 6th), I've only banned one more spam bot then Pierre. I'm no longer a statistical outlier! And actually, 7 bots were handled by non-mods, while 6 by staff. I feel a little guilty shifting the load on to you guys, on the other hand, it's also kinda cool seeing the members band together to help with a common cause. Admitadly, the IP banning is like trying to stab a vampire while blindfolded with a toothpick, but every time we ban that's one less place we ever have to stab again.

Gettin' Old!

Wooster wrote:
I feel a little guilty shifting the load on to you guys, on the other hand, it's also kinda cool seeing the members band together to help with a common cause.

That is because we are the MIGHTY SUPER CR BANHAMMER MILITIA!

*posing is NOT optional*

P.S. Aww Wooster is beating me in bans....
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Guys guys guys. I just did it. I banned one. At least I think. I HOPE I got the right guy. I mean normal users wouldn't post about erectile dysfunction, right?...

Kidding aside, it feels good to do my part! :maya:
Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Yaragorm wrote:
Guys guys guys. I just did it. I banned one. At least I think. I HOPE I got the right guy. I mean normal users wouldn't post about erectile dysfunction, right?...

:godot: That's the way! The more people who help out the better!

Gettin' Old!

Yaragorm wrote:

HEY!

It happens to many people, I should hope if some member does come with problems about erectile dysfunction we would support them.

Hurr hurr still good job Yara
Made by Chesu+Zombee

The cape is self-fluttering

Yaragorm wrote:

I would... but I'd at least attempt to make it -intentionally- funny. :gant:
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

In Justice We Trust

It appears trusting Ace Attorneys with the Banhammer was a good choice. As a moderator, I feel my roles, other than the role of a regular user, are those of a firefighter, police officer, judge, and executioner. When the spambots started showing up in force, I felt more like a janitor. Still, considering that the spambots are the only troublesome users I've come across in a long time, I probably shouldn't complain.

Anyway, welcome to the Court Records custodial staff, Ace Attorneys. You now have the use of a combination mop, bucket, rag, cleaning solutions, flyswatter, broom, and dustbin. It's called the Banhammer.
I'll always love you, Max.

The Real Human Being

MFW

Gettin' Old!

I'm getting the ban-shakes....no bots about.

I'm looking at newly-registered members list, seeing ones that look significantly botlike like so.

AND WANNA BAN but no posts to indicate evidence.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Pierre wrote:

I'm looking at newly-registered members list, seeing ones that look significantly botlike like so.

Well, its custom title is 'ralph lauren shirts' so I'd say there's a pretty good chance it is one.

The result will probably be the same once he posts, but it's not a bad idea to adopt and wait-and-see approach.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Gettin' Old!

Adrian in black wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Well, its custom title is 'ralph lauren shirts' so I'd say there's a pretty good chance it is one.

The result will probably be the same once he posts, but it's not a bad idea to adopt and wait-and-see approach.

Yeah there's no rush, besides I have a sneaking suspicion there's loads of bots that just don't post, they get created and then left idle. Just there's been many a time I've seen "Welcome our newest member: xfhierhjf" or something similar at the who is online section and never seen it post.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Pierre wrote:
Yeah there's no rush, besides I have a sneaking suspicion there's loads of bots that just don't post, they get created and then left idle. Just there's been many a time I've seen "Welcome our newest member: xfhierhjf" or something similar at the who is online section and never seen it post.

Well... uh... it seems I just went against my own advice, hehe. Not for that user, but for another user whose name wasn't an obvious bot, but the profile was full of "wwgjgzxjwizxgjwjhghz" in multiple fields so I felt confident about kicking it to the curb. I'll try not to do that too much at that stage though, because like you said, many of them might never post anyway.

...NAILED IT

You've been hit by, a smooth prosecutor

Adrian in black wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Well... uh... it seems I just went against my own advice, hehe. Not for that user, but for another user whose name wasn't an obvious bot, but the profile was full of "wwgjgzxjwizxgjwjhghz" in multiple fields so I felt confident about kicking it to the curb. I'll try not to do that too much at that stage though, because like you said, many of them might never post anyway.

I've seen at least a dozen of these in the last 24 hrs (and that was only during the few minutes I spent here at a time. No telling how many more there were), and AFAIK none have posted yet (I did my 1st kill last night also).
In fact there was just one on: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=23323

Wooster, just a thought. Are you even concerned about the bots that are hiding in the trenches as well or just solely focused on the ones that are flooding this place with spam?
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Ung. Those are sleeper bots. They have one of a few uses for the bot owner.

1. Flood the 'Newest User' entry.
    Wooster's Response: (Deleted 'Newest User' from the forum)
  2. Pre-register with a birth 'date' well above our forum average as to appear at the top of the list of today's birthdays. (E.G. Register an account that's 35 years old, when our members are in their teens and twenties, for the most part)
    Wooster's Response: (Non-posters no longer get cake)
  3. In the event registration is disabled, they've still got a nice pot of accounts to pull from to continue spamming.
    Wooster's Response: :redd-is-white:

I'll repeat what I told the moderators, if you find an account, and there's 'reasonable' doubt that an account is a bot, don't ban it. I know a kid that is interested in "Renaissance Fairs", he's a total medieval buff. The (former?) host of Dekiller Radio is a telemarketer. It's wrong to ban someone for an innocent association.

On the other hand, if you find an account and there's zero doubt the account is a spambot. Then by all means, destroy that bugger.

That said, both accounts linked, I believe are spambots.

Pierrie's was rather easy. Custom Titles often throw the spambots for a loop since it's a non-standard field in phpBB. "ralph lauren shirts" makes no sense as a title in that regard and strikes as trying to pawn something off. (Never mind I've seen that thing show up before in previous banned spambots)

The one linked by Rotan was a little more difficult to discern, but there's a link in it's sig that goes to tibiawt.pl; Which is a self proclaimed gold trading site. I'd strongly discourage clicking any link from a suspected spam bot. You don't know where it's going or what it could do to your system. Let a search engine or something do it for you if you must.

Gettin' Old!

Hmm well I'd hate to ban an innocent and I can't see registration being disabled anytime soon to bring sleeper bots to activation even if they are reasonably easy to find suspected ones. So I guess I'll leave trawling the member list for fodder for now.

If we do get serious about cleaning them up we should make a place to post the accounts of suspected ones so we can consent to being sure about banning them.

Though I'd never ban someone for liking renaissance fairs...they sound awesome.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You've been hit by, a smooth prosecutor

We could make a seperate thread to keep track of them, and know where to go if we need to do a mass cleaning.
Oh and when I click the ban button CR stops responding for me. I have to leave then come back to clear it up. Anybody else have this problem?

1000% Knight

Johnny Rotan wrote:
We could make a seperate thread to keep track of them, and know where to go if we need to do a mass cleaning.
Oh and when I click the ban button CR stops responding for me. I have to leave then come back to clear it up. Anybody else have this problem?

Yeah, when you banhammer someone, the forum basically just stops for about 3 minutes.

(If you ban someone soon after that, though, it works completely fine, for whatever reason)

Gettin' Old!

Bad Player wrote:
Johnny Rotan wrote:

Yeah, when you banhammer someone, the forum basically just stops for about 3 minutes.

(If you ban someone soon after that, though, it works completely fine, for whatever reason)

I found it takes no time at all to ban a bot who is a sleeper and not posted therefore I think the extra time is spent wiping out the threads and posts said bot has made.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Today was... ridiculous. But we covered our bases.

Pierre: 4
Bolt Storm: 3
Wooster: 3
dullahan1: 1
BadPlayer: 1
General Luigi 1

1000% Knight

When you said you wanted a leaderboard, I didn't think it'd be this low-tech xP

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Nah, I was planning a high tech one, but decided against. The only reason I'm posting that is because this is the most I've seen banned by so many different people.

Gettin' Old!

Ridiculous? I call it fun!

Though we don't need a leaderboard it'll just make me feel bad and competitive.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I initially thought this idea was mental but it's obviously not. I'm cheering on dully.

Can I be a admin, I'd be really good at adminning Image

Probably a daft question but what are these guys Magpie [Spider], Sogou [Spider], Sosospider [Spider?] ? I've seen the Google and Yahoo bots before but not these.
Imagesee how it withers before my flower of justiceImage

Deputy of Self-Esteem

At some point I noticed we had a disproportionate number of guests. Went into Who's online, found some user agents that were clearly bots but not being picked up by phpBB3, so I added them in manually. We went from 130 something guests to 20 the day I did that. Those bots are busy and come from a lot of different addresses at once.

.:looby:. wrote:
I initially thought this idea was mental but it's obviously not. I'm cheering on dully.

I knew you were my favorite for a reason.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

1000% Knight

Tch, spambot decided to infiltrate my GK2 thread.
I showed him :godot:

Gettin' Old!

Another one posting explicit images.

Maybe it's just coincidence but I've never seen bots do 18-rated stuff until recently.
Then again bots are sent out in waves by the same people aren't they? Based on how often ones advertising X brand shoes or something pop up.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Blah!

Pierre wrote:
Another one posting explicit images.

Maybe it's just coincidence but I've never seen bots do 18-rated stuff until recently.
Then again bots are sent out in waves by the same people aren't they? Based on how often ones advertising X brand shoes or something pop up.

I actually saw one post explicit images a few months ago in a topic I subscribed to.

...not fun. :zenitora:

But yeah, most that I've seen are just a wall of text, usually with at least one link.
Page 2 of 12 [ 441 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Board index » General » Bar Exam