Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 3 of 4[ 131 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Re: The Kindaichi Case FilesTopic%20Title

迷探偵

Why do you assume there's just one more story left? It's not been announced how long the series is, but I think it's safe to assume it would be at least two-cour (26) considering we already know it's at least 16 episodes, meaning there are still ten episodes left; enough for at least two, three and maybe even four long stories.

Not sure if they are trying to avoid overlap with the drama (considering Kowloon and Cram School, seems unlikely though), but they could well fill the last ten episodes (if it's a two-cour run) with Kenmochi, Lab and Rozenkreuz (and they might well skip the two snow-related stories, considering the season).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Don't call me Shirley

Ash wrote:
Why do you assume there's just one more story left? It's not been announced how long the series is, but I think it's safe to assume it would be at least two-cour (26) considering we already know it's at least 16 episodes, meaning there are still ten episodes left; enough for at least two, three and maybe even four long stories.

Not sure if they are trying to avoid overlap with the drama (considering Kowloon and Cram School, seems unlikely though), but they could well fill the last ten episodes (if it's a two-cour run) with Kenmochi, Lab and Rozenkreuz (and they might well skip the two snow-related stories, considering the season).

My bad, typo, I meant two long stories left :shoe: That's all they can fit in 10 episodes, unless they compress the plots like crazy, which would be a little dumb considering how much "room" lesser stories like Kowloon uses.

Last edited by Shtak on Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DetectiveTohru

The "long" stories already start at 3 episodes+

迷探偵

Saw the first episode of live action series. An extension of the previous two TV specials, so a pretty solid production. I wrote more about the pilot on my blog. The next episode will be The Game Mansion Murder Case. Not sure if it will become a two-parter or not, the live action series has a tradition of simplifying stories to fit the 50 minutes airtime.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Don't call me Shirley

Ash, I just saw that your blog has a complete section dedicated to various mystery writers ! The JD Carr one is very accurate and thorough. I was wondering if there's any particular author/series you'd recommend with roughly the same qualities ?

迷探偵

I am actually not particularly a fan of Carr; he has written some really good mysteries, but for some reason I just can't get really enthusiastic about him. If we're talking about that period, I'm definitely more of the Queen school. And Christie. It's actually strange I never got really interested in Carr...

Anyway, the French writer Paul Halter is widely seen as a spiritual successor to Carr, as he specializes in impossible crimes and even sets (most of) his stories in the same period as Carr did. The TV series Jonathan Creek also has a lot of the Carr atmosphere; however not all episodes are as strong as another and the quality kinda drops from season three on; in the recent season five they even switched formulas completely). The Japanese writer Nikaidou Reito also specializes in spooky impossible crimes similar to Carr and Halter, but I suppose you can't read Japanese...?

Don't call me Shirley

Ash wrote:
I am actually not particularly a fan of Carr; he has written some really good mysteries, but for some reason I just can't get really enthusiastic about him. If we're talking about that period, I'm definitely more of the Queen school. And Christie. It's actually strange I never got really interested in Carr...

Anyway, the French writer Paul Halter is widely seen as a spiritual successor to Carr, as he specializes in impossible crimes and even sets (most of) his stories in the same period as Carr did. The TV series Jonathan Creek also has a lot of the Carr atmosphere; however not all episodes are as strong as another and the quality kinda drops from season three on; in the recent season five they even switched formulas completely). The Japanese writer Nikaidou Reito also specializes in spooky impossible crimes similar to Carr and Halter, but I suppose you can't read Japanese...?

Some Carr books can be a bit hard to get into. Like the ones where the story starts with 2-3 chapters choke full of wordy exposition where nearly every single of the 20+ characters is a middle aged, upper class man with a cigarette and a moustache :shoe: what I love about Carr, aside from the fact that his books definitely were aimed at hard boiled readers that aren't fooled by classic tricks and overthink every clue, is his attention to detail and plots. How he managed to get 3-4 books a year published, most with airtight plots, when crafting the details is the most time consuming part of the writing process is stunning. I've read that you're familiar with the unicorn murders, did you enjoy it ? I truly think it's one of his finest.

I'm not necessarily looking for impossible murders stories, for example I also enjoy the atmospheric slasher-like cases like we see on kindaichi, too (as long as the genre isn't played too straight and there's a good bit a sleuthing). I had never heard about Jonathan Creek, but I'll make sure to give it a try, thanks ! And yeah, my knowledge of Japanese is a bit too limited to read books, sorry.

迷探偵

You might want to consider some Japanese writers (in translation) too. Obviously the Kindaichi Kousuke novels by Yokomizo Seishi; The Inugami Clan is available in English and one of the best in the series; more are available in translation in French. Shimada Souji is naturally also of importance (hey, they even plagiarized his story!). The Tokyo Zodiac Murders is one of the most influential mystery novels and a short story The Locked Room of Pythagoras is also available (and more in the future). You might also want to take a look at Takagi Akimitsu's The Tattoo Murder Case.

(Yes, a bit of shameless self-promotion, but there are simply few English-language blogs on Japanese detective fiction...)

DetectiveTohru

There's been some hype surrounding the Tokyo Zodiac Murder Case lately for some reason? I've heard people talk about it quite a few times now.

迷探偵

Not that I know of. The book is not new by any standards (1981) and the English translation has also been out for quite some years. It's a classic and influential book though, so maybe you have heard it mentioned in such a context (like how one would mention The Tragedy of X or The Hollow Man). Maybe some people in your circles just happened to have discovered it recently?

DetectiveTohru

Hmm maybe... Need to check that out I guess... Just for future reference now that I'm interested.

Don't call me Shirley

Ash wrote:
You might want to consider some Japanese writers (in translation) too. Obviously the Kindaichi Kousuke novels by Yokomizo Seishi; The Inugami Clan is available in English and one of the best in the series; more are available in translation in French. Shimada Souji is naturally also of importance (hey, they even plagiarized his story!). The Tokyo Zodiac Murders is one of the most influential mystery novels and a short story The Locked Room of Pythagoras is also available (and more in the future). You might also want to take a look at Takagi Akimitsu's The Tattoo Murder Case.

(Yes, a bit of shameless self-promotion, but there are simply few English-language blogs on Japanese detective fiction...)

Seishi Yokomizo's books sound fun, can't believe I never checked them ! Their plots weren't recycled for the shonen kindaichi cases, right ?

BTW, I'm really enjoying browsing your blog, I'll definitely pass it along the higurashi/umineko fans I know, I'm sure they'll appreciate it too.

迷探偵

Thanks for the promotion! And the original Kindaichi Kousuke stories have nothing to do with his grandson's adventures (heck, there was a time the Yokomizo estate wasn't too keen on the idea, which prevented Hajime from saying his grandfather was Kindaichi Kousuke for a period). They do share the dark atmosphere, the random violent killings and often feature nursery rhyme (or more broadly speaking, mitate / 'resembling') murders. Oh, and both are bad at letting people live at the end of the story :D

OBJECTION.I object that is objectionable

I saw the first case and I enjoyed it not had chance to pick it up since , Watched a ton of dectective conan. I own 5 seasons on dvd and watched 16 movies . I have seen all of DAQ which I thought was fanatastic but then half way through it stopped focusing on solving crimes ( luckily the final one was awesome) then focused on the cerbraus organsation which i enjoyed but not as much as solving crimes
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth- Sherlock Holmes

迷探偵

DAQ is about solving mysteries in a broader sense, so even cases involving Pluto usually involve some sort of mystery to solve. The manga has maybe three, four chapters that aren't about a mystery. Sure, the last quarter is more focused on Pluto, but always through a murder mystery.

Am I the only one watching Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo N? It's almost surprisingly fun, especially considering the less amusing live action outings Kindaichi Shounen had the last twenty years after the original live action series ended. It's kinda funny to see Narumiya as Takatoo though; I'm more used to seeing him playing a detective like in the Gyakuten Saiban movie or the Aibou series... Oh, I read Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R 2 two days ago, which was an okay volume. R is definitely much better than the 20th anniversary series and feels a bit closer to the original run, so looking forward to the third volume!

迷探偵

Oh wow, next week's going to be awesome! In Returns, Kenmochi will be the suspect, while in Neo, they're actually going to do an adaptation of the final case of the first season (with the Count of Monte Cristo)! It's actually one of my favorite stories, so I always thought it was a shame they never made an animated versionn of it, but to think they would use it in the live action series (and not even as a series finale!).

And yes, Takatoo is played by Narumiya, who played Phoenix in the GS live action film. Now I think about it, I've seen Narumiya act as villain and detective in mystery dramas/films a lot...

DetectiveTohru

Yeah, the next weeks preview and the ending where the owl shat on Kindaichis face were the best part of this weeks episode :/ Maybe they should have remastered better cases from the case files or something instead right from the beginning?

Don't call me Shirley

I wonder what's the final case gonna be. Rosenkreuz would be the most obvious choice, but if they're planning a second batch of episodes next year, they're probably gonna save it for later.

DetectiveTohru

Great start to a case in this season, best by far in my opinion. The case has alot of freedom like Kowloon case, but it's actually done well this time. For now I'll suspect the 3 year ago victims sister and the boy who told them he was being chased by someone.

迷探偵

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the newest episode of Kindaichi Shounen NEO. It's mostly a faithful adaptation of the original series' finale within the framework of the series, but moving the setting from Hong Kong to Japan kinda hurts the premise of the Hajime-on-the-run plot and because this is actually only the second time Hajime confronts Takatoo in the current series, they changed the awesome dialogue they had on the phone slightly for the worse (In the original story, Hajime swore for the first time in the series on more than just his grandfather's name). That said, I'm looking forward to next week's episode (and very curious as to NEO's ending, because with the original manga finale already used mid-series, it seems the Rosenkreuz Mansion is the only story left that could realistically match the scale of this mid-series story as the proper TV drama series finale!).

Edit: oh, wait, they're doing Rosenkreuz for episode 8 (and probably 9) of the live action series! Now I really have no idea how this show is going to end!

Don't call me Shirley

Looks like the Game House murder case is last. I hope it's fitting for a series (season ?) finale !

DetectiveTohru

The explanation for the "Kenmochi the Murderer" case was very lackluster, I figured pretty much all of this out in the very first episode. It's kind of sad because the setting was the best in my opinion so far and the case's connection to Kenmochi himself and his past was nice to see also.

1000% Knight

So did Itsuki ever actually make an appearance in R?
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

迷探偵

The Game House as the ending for R? That is the probably the most lackluster story they could have chosen as a last story....

Which makes me kinda nervous for Neo's ending: episodes 8 (and probably 9) are going to be Rosenkreuz, which means that Neo is only going to be nine episodes long, or that there /is/ a tenth episode (which would 'fill up' September perfectly, just in time for a new season to begin in October). But I can't think of a story that could top Rosenkreuz as a season finale... (unless Rosenkreuz takes three episodes, which would be something unprecedented and no way that story can fill 3x50 minutes).

Don't call me Shirley

Ash wrote:
The Game House as the ending for R? That is the probably the most lackluster story they could have chosen as a last story....

Mmmh :(

I love kindaichi for what it is, but sometimes the good/lackluster episodes ratio gets really disapointing. So far there wasn't anything really noteworthy in kindaichi R, aside from the alchemist case and the puppetmaster one (both Kowloon and Kenmochi were painfully predictable).

DetectiveTohru

The alchemist case was one of the most mediocre/average stories of the season, along with this current case... Although Kowloon was really stupid, atleast it tried to do something different (if that counts).

Kenmochi case was predictable, yes, but I think it was still very good for what it did with the atmosphere... After that the Takato case, I liked it alot for what it was, then some of the 1-shot cases and then the rest.

迷探偵

So the live action series Neo has ended too, though it seems nobody here watched it? It was a great adaptation though, with the exception of the Monte Cristo case (which simply shouldn't have been done at that stage of the series, in that form). But the series finale, the Rosenkreuz case, looked great for example (like most of the series. Game House and Yukikage Village worked fantastic as single episodes to name some others) and I'm definitely hoping that more series will follow with the same cast and production team.

Ace Fighter Detective Doctor

Hello!

I posess volumes 1-22 of the Kindaichi manga in French, and I could translate it in English. I would need a typesetter and a cleaner, so if anyone wants to help me, please ask!

I also possess the latest Kindaichi mangas, but they are in Japanese, so I would also need a Japanese translator!

The manga version by the way, is much better than the anime adaptation, that often changed the solutions, with a different character turning out to be the killer than in the manga for some reason...

Quick summary of Kindaichi Case Files:

Hajime Kindaichi, as the grandson of famous detective Kosuke Kindaichi, picked up the tricks of his trade from Grandpa and, after proving himself to the skeptical police in his first case, finds himself tangled up in the murder mystery from hell on a regular basis.
Kindaichi was Japan's most popular manga for much of its original run (1994-2001) and remains quite popular today. The series relies on a strong formula that mixes the horror and detective genres: the atmosphere is similar to a well-made Slasher Movie, with the killer usually taking the persona of a legendary monster. He then murders his victims in gruesome ways relating to the legend, thus providing a more violent version of a Scooby-Doo Hoax. He still leaves clues, though, which Kindaichi is inevitably the only person to notice. There's always some secret tragedy from the past (often surprisingly moving) motivating the killer as well. All of which leads up to the climax of each story where Kindachi unmasks the perpetrator in a dramatic summation gathering. Each story is also a rather challenging fair play whodunnit so clever readers may be able to beat Kindaichi to the solution.
In the comic's heyday, figuring out the solutions to Kindaichi mysteries became something of a national craze for the Japanese. The storylines typically ran for two or three months, leaving plenty of time for fans to speculate. Later storylines have much tougher solutions as the authors strived to keep things challenging for fans who often collaborated on figuring out the answers.

All I want is for people to enjoy reading this amazing manga for those who don't have the opportunity to do so :phoenix:

迷探偵

Bad Player wrote:

Tweeted today by Kibayashi (who writes Kindaichi under the name Amagi Seimaru): https://twitter.com/agitadashi/status/5 ... 1751777282

I guess Itsuki will appear in the R manga after he finished the currently running Akechi story.

1000% Knight

Ash wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

Tweeted today by Kibayashi (who writes Kindaichi under the name Amagi Seimaru): https://twitter.com/agitadashi/status/5 ... 1751777282

I guess Itsuki will appear in the R manga after he finished the currently running Akechi story.

Hopefully he means Itsuki, and not 5 victims :oops:

迷探偵

I don't read the weekly installments of Kindaichi Shounen, but it appears that a gigantic mistake crept in this week's chapter (starring Akechi): in the scene where Akechi explains the crime using a blackboard (and chalk), the bad printing (which you usually find in magazines) kinda makes it impossible to actually read what the explanation is :P

Don't call me Shirley

Dr.Ratio wrote:

Hello!

I posess volumes 1-22 of the Kindaichi manga in French, and I could translate it in English. I would need a typesetter and a cleaner, so if anyone wants to help me, please ask!

I also possess the latest Kindaichi mangas, but they are in Japanese, so I would also need a Japanese translator!

The manga version by the way, is much better than the anime adaptation, that often changed the solutions, with a different character turning out to be the killer than in the manga for some reason...

Quick summary of Kindaichi Case Files:

Hajime Kindaichi, as the grandson of famous detective Kosuke Kindaichi, picked up the tricks of his trade from Grandpa and, after proving himself to the skeptical police in his first case, finds himself tangled up in the murder mystery from hell on a regular basis.
Kindaichi was Japan's most popular manga for much of its original run (1994-2001) and remains quite popular today. The series relies on a strong formula that mixes the horror and detective genres: the atmosphere is similar to a well-made Slasher Movie, with the killer usually taking the persona of a legendary monster. He then murders his victims in gruesome ways relating to the legend, thus providing a more violent version of a Scooby-Doo Hoax. He still leaves clues, though, which Kindaichi is inevitably the only person to notice. There's always some secret tragedy from the past (often surprisingly moving) motivating the killer as well. All of which leads up to the climax of each story where Kindachi unmasks the perpetrator in a dramatic summation gathering. Each story is also a rather challenging fair play whodunnit so clever readers may be able to beat Kindaichi to the solution.
In the comic's heyday, figuring out the solutions to Kindaichi mysteries became something of a national craze for the Japanese. The storylines typically ran for two or three months, leaving plenty of time for fans to speculate. Later storylines have much tougher solutions as the authors strived to keep things challenging for fans who often collaborated on figuring out the answers.

All I want is for people to enjoy reading this amazing manga for those who don't have the opportunity to do so :phoenix:

That's a great initiative, feel free to send me a PM and I'll gladly polish the translation ! I'm curious about the differences between the langa and the anime adaptation you mention, by the way : in the chapters I've read, the solution was the same each time, what are some examples of cases where the culprit's identity changes ?

迷探偵

Shtak wrote:
That's a great initiative, feel free to send me a PM and I'll gladly polish the translation ! I'm curious about the differences between the langa and the anime adaptation you mention, by the way : in the chapters I've read, the solution was the same each time, what are some examples of cases where the culprit's identity changes ?

IIRC, the only time that really happens is with The Opera House Murders, which featured a completely different cast. There are some other cases based on the books and CD books that also feature different murderers than the original stories (for example the TV adaptation of Deep Blue Massacre, but AFAIK, the murderers/methods usually stay the same in the anime adaptation (if you can read Japanese, there's actually a Wikipedia page that lists every murderer (and their alts for the anime/drama, if they exist).

In general, the biggest difference between the manga and anime is the order of the stories (and therefore the order of first appearances of some characters) and of course, the whole deal with our cameraman Saki.

Spoiler: Foreign Hotel Murder Case
Saki dies in the manga and is later 'replaced' with his younger brother Saki 2. In the anime and manga drama, Saki 1 stays alive.

Last edited by Ash on Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

1000% Knight

Ash wrote:
In general, the biggest difference between the manga and anime is the order of the stories (and therefore the order of first appearances of some characters) and of course, the whole deal with our cameraman Saki.

Spoiler: Foreign Hotel Murder Case
Saki dies in the manga and is later 'replaced' with his younger brother Saki 2. In the anime and manga, Saki 1 stays alive.

wat
Spoiler:
How does that work? Does a different character die instead? Or did they just cut out that part of the mystery?

Also, I find Saki II really weird. I feel like the creators just love Saki so much, they killed him for the purposes of the plot of that case, but then brought him back to life because they love Saki. And it's weird how Kindaichi calls him "Saki II." Kindaichi is basically reminding him of his dead brother who was brutally murdered every time they chat.

迷探偵

I meant anime and drama, of course.

Spoiler:
In the anime, Saki just survived the attack. The drama featured a fairly different setting and cast, and thus also a 'replacement' Saki (and actually had Miyuki solving the case. Who for some reason vowed to solve the mystery in the name of Hajime's grandfather).

And Saki can be useful as a character because of his camera, similar to Megu in TGQ. But even though Saki 1's death was supposed to be dramatic in the story, they turned it into a joke kinda right away. I mean; Saki 2 only sought contact with Hajime because the ghost of his brother told him so, and Saki 1's ghost occassionally appears at the start of a new case to warn Hajime of danger (i.e. a new adventure is going to start)

1000% Knight

Spoiler:
I know, but I also feel like sometimes they're reeeeeally stretching the camera's usefulness.

And they do it just to include Saki.

(I mean, look at 墓場島殺人事件. Sometimes the footage from Saki's camera is used in a really cool and interesting way. That... wasn't one of those cases, and really felt like the epitome of a "We're putting Saki in this case cuz we love him <3 <3" case.)

迷探偵

There was a pretty neat segment on Suiyoubi no Downtown this week where they tested the theory that some of the tricks in Kindaichi Shounen are too difficult for 'normal' people to do. They called in a regular contestant of the Sasuke series to do see whether a trained man could pull it off.

1000% Knight

やるな、山田一

EDIT: Aw man, can't/won't watch the last one since I haven't seen it. Thanks for the link, though! That was hilarious xD

Don't call me Shirley

Ah shoot, the vid was deleted :(

1000% Knight

Welp, finished the original manga run. (For the main series, at least; haven't done the Short or Akechi cases.)

That was fun, even if the killer and the general format of the tricks weren't that difficult. I kinda wish they hadn't done 金田一少年の殺人事件 (but on the other hand it was kind of fun watching everyone go "yeah, we've kinda already been through this before")

I also liked all the cameos of old characters~
Spoiler: Grand Finale
What was in that letter, though? Do we ever find out? :eh?:

Page 3 of 4 [ 131 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios