Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 4 of 4[ 134 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Re: Your Anime a ShitTopic%20Title

High level play

DoMaya wrote:
Deadpool 9 wrote:
The only anime I know that passes your list is The Boondocks.

The Boondocks is an anime about a black family moving to the white suburbs, but it tackles current events and delivers political messages in a lot of the episodes.

Although I would debate that the boondocks isn't an anime but an American cartoon I agree that it's great entertainment. Especially Uncle Ruckus cracks me up every time.

I never cared about king of the hill though. That show felt like you had to be an US citizen to appreciate the redneck humor in it.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

The King of All

Sjibbey wrote:
DoMaya wrote:
Deadpool 9 wrote:
The only anime I know that passes your list is The Boondocks.

The Boondocks is an anime about a black family moving to the white suburbs, but it tackles current events and delivers political messages in a lot of the episodes.

Although I would debate that the boondocks isn't an anime but an American cartoon I agree that it's great entertainment. Especially Uncle Ruckus cracks me up every time.

I never cared about king of the hill though. That show felt like you had to be an US citizen to appreciate the redneck humor in it.

Whether its an anime or not is debatable.

It's aesthetics are anime like, it's animated in Asia, and it has a lot of anime tropes.
Kinda like Avatar the Last Airbender.
The king of all, Sir Duke

High level play

Deadpool 9 wrote:

It's aesthetics are anime like, it's animated in Asia, and it has a lot of anime tropes.

Yes it is. Although the visual style resembles more anime than a 'cartoon' the Boondocks is produced in the US. There is only an 'English dub' and the show tackles stereotypes, not anime tropes.

Like in anime you have: overly ditzy, cute, stupid, characters can eat absurdly a lot kind of tropes going
In Boondocks: blacks don't snitch to police, but white people love talking to police. Or that black people get in fights over small incidents 'aka the nigger moments'. These things don't relate to 1 character, but how society perceives an entire group --> stereotypes.

So unless you're saying: 'It looks like an anime so it's an anime' I can see what you mean. But I still wouldn't categorize the boondocks as anime.
Face your emptiness don't be afraid. The danger is often smaller than your fear.

The Real Human Being

Sjibbey wrote:
Deadpool 9 wrote:

Yes it is. Although the visual style resembles more anime than a 'cartoon' the Boondocks is produced in the US. There is only an 'English dub' and the show tackles stereotypes, not anime tropes.

Like in anime you have: overly ditzy, cute, stupid, characters can eat absurdly a lot kind of tropes going
In Boondocks: blacks don't snitch to police, but white people love talking to police. Or that black people get in fights over small incidents 'aka the nigger moments'. These things don't relate to 1 character, but how society perceives an entire group --> stereotypes.

So unless you're saying: 'It looks like an anime so it's an anime' I can see what you mean. But I still wouldn't categorize the boondocks as anime.

It's a nigga moment, not a nigger moment.

Nigger is an insult, nigga is a way of life.

High level play

DoMaya wrote:
Sjibbey wrote:
Deadpool 9 wrote:

It's a nigga moment, not a nigger moment.

Nigger is an insult, nigga is a way of life.

You're right, my mistake. Guess I'm to white to fully understand the differences between 'nigga' and 'nigger'.

The Real Human Being

So I watched Naruto ShitPooDamn
All
400+
episodes
(so far)

And I enjoyed it, quite a bit, Hinata and Naruto are still my anime OTP.

Or at least... I did enjoy it.

Right up until after the fight with Pain.
See, up until that point the worst part about Naruto was Sasuke.
"I'm just.. so hurt... boo hoo... boo hoo hoo."
Even though he started going bad in the original anime, he wasn't inherently "evil" at all.
His desire for power made him do some mean shit, but he was still a character you could sympathize with.

Post Pain he temporarily became just a huge asshole.
You could argue that Orochimaru was the same way, but Orochimaru still had personality, he had style
What did Sasuke have? "heuheuehue I'm so evil must avenge huehuehuehue"

Now the anime is 70% filler, 20% Talking, 5% characters getting new forms and 5% actual fighting.

There's a lot wrong with the anime, but for people who like keeping track of a lot of characters, it could be really enjoyable.

That's why my final rating for Naruto Shippuden is a Swiss Roll dipped in dogshit/10

Yeah it's good, but you know how people complained about DBZ's Freiza saga mostly being Goku standing still charging the spirit ball?
The 4th great shinobi war starts on episode 262, and is still going on in episode 430 The in show timeframe for that? less than a week

Great Revival

I won't question "a shit", the only anime I really watched (and Manga) was DB, and DBZ, after that I lost interest in almost everything but video games. And it definitely fits 90% of those listed. So I guess it is "a shit" *takes off glasses for like the millionth time while screaming "YEAAAAAH"*

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

DoMaya Blackquill wrote:
I used to like anime
I used to nerd out about new episodes and new powers and stuff like that
But then, I started to realize that they're all just one big circle jerk of fan service, same goddamn characters in each show, and unoriginality.

So I'm here to make a list.

1. If your anime needs to make a face to tell you it's time to laugh, your anime a shit.
2. If your slice of life anime has people with superpowers, your anime a shit
3. If your anime needs to have someone explain a new power every episode, your anime a shit
4. If the hero of your anime is super strong but is powerless to the new villain of the week your anime a shit.
5a. If your anime has unnecessary sexual tension, your anime a shit
5b. If your anime has a minority for the sake of having a minority, your anime a shit.
5c. If your anime has fanservice in the majority of episodes, your anime a shit.
6. If the meekest character is secretly the strongest one in the group with no proper explanation for why that is, your anime a shit.
7. If your anime NEEDS to have a fight scene in every episode to be interesting, your anime a shit.
8. If the student never truly surpasses the the teacher, your anime a shit.
9. If a character "dies" and comes back due to some arbitrary reason, your anime a shit
10. If any given character can be considered "Evil" for no reason other than the sake of being evil, your anime a shit.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Neatly avoids all these execution criteria. Seriously, this is the anime I recommend to people who generally hate anime.

I'd also say Steins;Gate avoids most, if not all, of these pitfalls as well. At any rate, that one is still one of the best ones out there.

Do you see the black one...or the white?

I've been watching Hunter x Hunter myself, and while mostly a shounen, it does a very good job of deconstructing common tropes usually found in shounen.

One of my favorites, is although the main character gets stronger over time, with the exception of one arc, he either never gets to face or can take down the big bad of the arc. Either the enemy continues to live through the next arcs, or someone that's much more suitable in power goes against the big bad. Heck, up to where it's cut off, the main character is still considered somewhat of an amateur in his world, just has lots of potential. But it's refreshing to see him lose and learn from it. I like that.

Heck, they build up one arc with this whole group that's evil and I think maybe 2 of them are killed while the others get to continue about their business, and not one is killed by the main character.

What I do like though is it has some fantastic character development, to both the heroes and villains alike. The battles, when they do happen, is fun to watch. I think too that it's that way because of the build up. For most battles, it shows them preparing, strategizing, and figuring out how to approach the enemy so when they engage, it's much more involved, and if they win, it doesn't feel cheap.

Funny enough though, what's purposely done is all the characters surrounding the main character tend to get more development than the main character himself. It's still there, but it's much more slowly. Considering his personality is similar to Goku's for quite sometime, it's quite amusing. Especially when happy-go-lucky is thrown into dark storylines and it forces him to grow.

The only downside I really feel this anime suffers from is from a major attack in the biggest arc in the series, much of the battle is narrated at the time with a lot of explanation. Granted, a lot of this is the result of the mangaka constantly having been on hiatus during this part and to get chapters out quick when he could at the time, he narrated a lot. It works in the manga and it's very interesting, but for the anime, while I don't mind it, I wish they could have gone with another approach to make it flow better.

Alright, the other downside is the series is on constant hiatus, but what is out there, I really enjoy. And there's a sadomasochistic pedophiliac clown who is always letting you know when he's turned on and is quite possibly one of the most interesting characters in the show.

I wish I would have known about this series sooner as it's made by the same person who did Yu Yu Hakusho, which I adored and would, at times, also stray from the conventional shounen, though this series completely takes it to a new level.

I am all for anime that neatly can avoid the common shounen stereotypes, but I find it more interesting when it can deconstruct it and totally show how silly those stereotypes can be.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

The Enigma

Hmm...I wonder what my fifteen year old self would say to this as she was a big fan of Angel Beats at the time. I haven't seen it in forever, so I can't really remember.
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons

Call me Ishmael.

DoMaya Blackquill wrote:
I used to like anime
I used to nerd out about new episodes and new powers and stuff like that
But then, I started to realize that they're all just one big circle jerk of fan service, same goddamn characters in each show, and unoriginality.

So I'm here to make a list.

1. If your anime needs to make a face to tell you it's time to laugh, your anime a shit.
2. If your slice of life anime has people with superpowers, your anime a shit
3. If your anime needs to have someone explain a new power every episode, your anime a shit
4. If the hero of your anime is super strong but is powerless to the new villain of the week your anime a shit.
5a. If your anime has unnecessary sexual tension, your anime a shit
5b. If your anime has a minority for the sake of having a minority, your anime a shit.
5c. If your anime has fanservice in the majority of episodes, your anime a shit.
6. If the meekest character is secretly the strongest one in the group with no proper explanation for why that is, your anime a shit.
7. If your anime NEEDS to have a fight scene in every episode to be interesting, your anime a shit.
8. If the student never truly surpasses the the teacher, your anime a shit.
9. If a character "dies" and comes back due to some arbitrary reason, your anime a shit
10. If any given character can be considered "Evil" for no reason other than the sake of being evil, your anime a shit.
11. If your anime has Maya in it, regardless of it breaking these above rules, it's ok.

Hmm... I don't think Ashita no Joe is guilty of any of these besides, at times, #1 (kind of difficult to avoid in an early '70s cartoon).
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

Don't call me Shirley

I recently watched Le Chevalier d'Eon. It was a pleasant experience, had less anime tropes than usual, and the soundtrack was absolutely God-tier.

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Holy cow, I thought I was the only one who knew about that anime. I loved that anime.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Meh
Page 4 of 4 [ 134 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios