Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 2 of 3[ 97 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: Death Note USA script officially leakedTopic%20Title

Get Funky, +10 Pulchritude

Balrog wrote:
Thats exactly what Im talking about, you people compulsively need every little tiny detail to be perfect.

but the point is, if so many things are changed, it's not death note anymore. they're just using the name to generate hype and such. i think people would be fine if it was "based on death note", "ideas drawn from death note" or something similar.

1000% Knight

We're not going "OMG LIGHTS SISTA IS 11 NOT 12 LULZ." They kinda drastically changed the entire thing to, as L_J said, change it into something that isn't really "Death Note" any more.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Objected~!

For example, Light wasn't possessed by the Death Note... we brought himself into the death note and decided to kill criminals.
They even changed the girl (who commits suicide) in the anime/manga/movies into a guy... she was kinda the main plot element of the first arc of the story....
Adaptions have minor changes but not minor PLOT CHANGES...Think of that SF 1994 movie...it was just cut and paste characters, give the characters some attitude and places, give them different plots, make the american character the main one, give one man cancer in reality, make special tv effects, only make little references of the game.... DONE
Many fans nowdays would kill the company for that

Phff, You call this a Zombie apocalypse?

I agree, this movie will be fantastic.
Gyakuten Phoenix wrote:
Yeah, well maybe if I wasn't so much better than everyone else, I wouldn't have to talk about it so much.

guu

Well I see it a little diff., Vlas and and Charley have been writing Death Note since 2008, before WB announced it,

Virtigo has some weird deal with WB

http://blog.newsarama.com/2008/06/03/screen-bites-61/

the date is 06/2008

in doing research i found excerpts from the script was leaked in may 09 on a french death note site

http://www.death-note.fr/home.php?page=news3

To be honest even if this script is fake i don't see the real script being a huge deviation from this

The leaked script is very conservative

a screenwriter once told me hollywood doesn't write movies for LA, NY, Chicago

they make movies for the biggest movie markets, which are conservative cities

St Louis, MO and Nashville, Tn

having ryuk and death note at once would be just to much for those people, this way they can focus more on the death note

maybe? for sequels ray pen. is still alive, so to avoid jail time luke kills ray when he finds a torn page, and ryuk comes because he likes lukes style and digs up the death not for him, so he can kill ray's girl ,

and L brings Luke on board because someone is claiming to be The 2nd Kira, Lukes motivation in the 2nd movie could be to avoid jail time and death

and the 3rd can be about building a perfect world,

you should know Roy Lee the Ceo of Virtigo Entertainment

he gained fame for turning japanese movies into u.s remakes, when asian companies wanted to just sell their movies in U.S as is, he told them they're too japanese to work, and they gave roy the rights to sell the remake to a U.S Studio

DeMatador wrote:
Hey, guys, I read the script, and I'll edit and add to some things Wocky wrote:

-No Misa (or any other secondary Kira's). HAHAHAHAHA DISREGUARD THAT I SUCK COCKS. Misa is in, only she is a person with both parents killed who has no hinted romance and is almost pointless.
::They don't even call her Misa, I don't even know what's she's there for. She just messes up the plot.

-No Shinigamis.
::They mention them as an evil thing Japanese people can't even name, and it is implied the Death Note's previous owner was a Shinigami, but they never appear, nor have a role in the entire movie. In a few words, I rather ignore it, for the original manga/anime's sake.

-Luke is engaged to an oc.
::Yeah, it's this gal known as Sophia, who is unimportant, except in the end. Mostly a placeholder, since, IMO, they could have used Luke's dad. The plot has so many holes, that wouldn't hurt it.

-No mind games between LUKE and L,
and
-L is not characterized at all.
::This just makes it for me. I mean, there isn't even dialogue between them, except in the end, and its just a regular chat, not related to the Kira stuff. Probably the whole point of Death Note's first half (and part of the second) is Light feeling pursued by L's mind games. Even when he's dead.

-The Death Note has EVIL JAPANESE POWERS which affects the mind of the user.
::In the original Death Note manga/anime, the user of the Death Note could control what their victims do in their time previous to their death, after writing the cause of death. It's not EVIL JAPANESE POWERS, it's actually from the series, and it's crucial for its developement. It is too in the film, luckily.

-The victims of the Death Note die of a special kind of heart attack that the coroner can recognize as specific only to the Death Note.
::It's actually not that special, they just mention some artery or vein isn't blocked, which happens in regular heart attacks. I think they try to imply it's not natural. It's pointless, anyway, since the Death Note never comes to light, not even once.

-No uses of the phrase "I'LL BE GOD OF THE NEW WORLD" or "JUST AS PLANNED".
::Not even "I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT." Disappointing.
----
Synthezising, I believe it would work as an AU (Alternative Universe) spin-off, but nothing else. Not as "canon", or anything.
I mean, it had some parts which seemed interesting, and maybe entertaining to watch, but the rest just doesn't have appeal to the Death Note fan.

Wonder what subtitle they'll give this. OH, I KNOW!
"Death Note: Legacy"!
Doesn't it sound awesome? Of course, it's completely wrong, but who cares! It sounds cool!

Also, the mandatory afroamerican detective's surname is "Washington". Hilarious.
And, did anyone notice Luke's dad's name was changed from Jack to Sean mid-script?

To be honest I just read a couple pages- most of this was copy and pasted.

I added in the part about married to an oc, the getting kira from a manga and the fact they did have Misa in without a name or relevance.
Wocky Kitaki wrote:
-No mind games between LUKE and L.
-L is not characterized at all.
-Ends because Light gives up.

After reading the script finally, these are my only real major problems.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Ahahaha, sounds hilarious! I never liked Death Note anyway so maybe this "remake" will be an improvement? lol

They should just skip it and make a Gantz live action. Now there is a manga just dying to be a super Hollywood action movie with big guns and bigger tits. Zach Effron as Kei ftw, hahahahaa.
ImageImage

let's just tell them that we met in jail

SCREW YOU, WARNER BROTHERS! *goes all depressed*
art by blue

1000% Knight

My biggest problem is that they changed it from "guy who wants to be got gets power to kill" to "guy who wants to avenge mommy gets power to kill", which in turn causes many many many many other problems.

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

Personally, DN's Light is an overreaction. This movie's Luke sounds like a whimpy normal kid who can now kill whoever he wants.

I personally like the script. Not loyal to the series, Ok. So it's a spin-off, not a remake.
Sounds good to me.

The defense is So Zetta Slow!

DeMatador wrote:
Personally, DN's Light is an overreaction. This movie's Luke sounds like a whimpy normal kid who can now kill whoever he wants.

I personally like the script. Not loyal to the series, Ok. So it's a spin-off, not a remake.
Sounds good to me.

After actually READING the script, I agree with this.

I still don't think I would pay 8 bucks for a ticket to it, but, I may buy it when it comes to DVD.
~ Credit to the sig goes to...wait, I made the sig!

1000% Knight

DeMatador wrote:

Sounds good to me.

I found that this movie had the perfect combination of the original DN and original material to be the worst possible combination. (It has just enough original DN to be an adaptation, not a spin-off, but has just enough original material to completely ruin it (as a DN remake, not necessarily as a standalone movie. Of course, in my opinion, the standalone premise of DN, of Light wanting to be god, is much more interesting than this premise of Luke wanting vengeance.))

Objected~!

I kinda agree on both sides but somehow Luke's purpose of using the DN is kind of generic in a way... Light wanted to be like a God which hasn't been seen before and Luke is more like "OMG MUM HAS DIED~ MUST USE STRANGE BOOK ON PEOPLE!"... it's like yeah...

if movies actually are remade from the source material... it would have been great... Akira Toriyama didn't seem very happy when he saw DB:E

I bet you dollars to doughnuts that they changed "Luke's" reason for using the Death Note is because of religious reasons. Since the US is a predominately Christian nation, the whole idea that Luke wanting to become a god is probably gonna rub some people the wrong way. Christians don't have a concept of a "death god" and so maybe they might associate a death god as satan??

Objected~!

they could have easily changed god to "king" or something with that status

1000% Knight

For the first segment of Death Note they could have easily just stayed original to DN except for Ryuk. If I remember correctly, the only part where Ryuk really plays an important role is when he finds the camera's in Light's room, and they've already compensated for that.

They also could've made him more normal-looking and called him a "ghost" or "spirit of the book" or something.

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

When this movie launches here, I'll sure as heck watch it. If it does. I hope it does.

It must be because I'm not that much of an anime/manga fan, but I don't really don't care if it's loyal to the source material. Unless they go saying it's a "remake". Then I'll scratch my head in confusion, thinking "How so?".

Now, Ryuk... Too alternate universe, IMO. Wouldn't allow the movie to be a spin-off, which I rather see it as. Ryuk in this plot would be messed up.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

DREWdesu wrote:
Light wanted to be like a God which hasn't been seen before

LOL, what? Isn't "becomming God" the goal of half of all fantasy story villains? There is nothing unique about a jerk wanting control over the world--we're just used to seeing those characters as antagonists instead of protagonists.

Not that vengence is any more creative, admittedly.

Quote:
I bet you dollars to doughnuts that they changed "Luke's" reason for using the Death Note is because of religious reasons. Since the US is a predominately Christian nation, the whole idea that Luke wanting to become a god is probably gonna rub some people the wrong way. Christians don't have a concept of a "death god" and so maybe they might associate a death god as satan??

"Rubbing people the wrong way" is really only a concern if they're trying to make it an accessible, mainstream pre-teen feature. Plenty of horror and thriller movies get away with a lot worse than Death Note all the time here. It's not like your average bible-thumper would approve of "Luke using an evil book to murder people" any more than "Luke using an evil book to murder people so that he can become God."

And Christianity does have "Angels of death" but they could have easily just gone with the Grim Reaper. Cutting Ryuk out of the film probably has more to do with time restrictions than people being uncomfortable with the source material.
ImageImage

Ooh, a real drumroll. Nice.

the whole "fighting" between light and l was the only reason i watched the anime.
I suppose it will be interesting to see how WB makes a movie without that. guess i may as well download the script.

But seeing what i have read here, i hope warner will revise the script.

WHERE IS MY AVATAR???? GRRRRRRR

Wocky Kitaki wrote:
-No Shinigamis.

WHAT.

This is just unexplainable. All of it.

But no Ryuk or Rem is just painful, they're core to the series.

WB better prepare themselves for masses of hate mail.

Death Note is <3

Fool!

No mind games? No friggin MIND GAMES? And Death Note's strenght was just there, in the continuous mental fight between Light and L to be just one step ahead of each other... If you take that away it crumbles like whatnot. D:

I know some changes have to be made to make DN a hollywood movie (the original manga was already a very unlikely shonen-jump story, with that ending and all...), but if you take away the core of what's interesting, it'll just fail. I still want to see it. Just because... if it sucks, it sucks and I can seriously complain about it then, and if it doesn't... that would be a miracle XD
:franny:
"Who needs enemies when you've got friends like detective Gumshoe?"

Ooh, a real drumroll. Nice.

you know, the script writers probably just based the entire script from the first live action death note movie.
bus scenario-check
kidnap of gf-check
L eating same crisps as light-check

Hahex wrote:
you know, the script writers probably just based the entire script from the first live action death note movie.
bus scenario-check
kidnap of gf-check
L eating same crisps as light-check

Did you read it? They couldn't have based the script on ANYTHING related to Death Note.
There's no Light Yagami.
There's no Shinigamis.
There's no Misa Amane.
L is extremely out of character.

This script is like really bad fanfiction. Don't get me wrong, I do like the script. I do believe it may be an enjoyable movie. But as a Death Note adaptation, it's terrible.
I hope they're re-writing it.

1000% Knight

Actually, I saw the first DN movie recently, and I also thought that that's what it was based on :P The script-writers probably watched that movie and nothing more...

There is Light, but they just renamed him, to make it more American and Western
I don't no why they took out Shinigamis, but the only significant thing Ryuk does in that part is tell Light where the bugs are, which is done in this movie with a bug finder whatever
Misa's only part in the LA movie is at the end, which sets up her role in the next movie; since (I think) this American film is intended to be standalone, there's no reason for that
If they only watched that one DN film, it would be easy to make L OOC :P

There are plenty of similarities... The bus is one, but that was in the manga. The main thing is Luke/Light initially being in college, and the climax being the kidnapping of the girlfriend, which was set up by Luke/Light. I also find it kinda funny how in both, Luke/Light is studying to become a lawyer xD

Bad Player wrote:
Actually, I saw the first DN movie recently, and I also thought that that's what it was based on :P The script-writers probably watched that movie and nothing more...

There is Light, but they just renamed him, to make it more American and Western
I don't no why they took out Shinigamis, but the only significant thing Ryuk does in that part is tell Light where the bugs are, which is done in this movie with a bug finder whatever
Misa's only part in the LA movie is at the end, which sets up her role in the next movie; since (I think) this American film is intended to be standalone, there's no reason for that
If they only watched that one DN film, it would be easy to make L OOC :P

There are plenty of similarities... The bus is one, but that was in the manga. The main thing is Luke/Light initially being in college, and the climax being the kidnapping of the girlfriend, which was set up by Luke/Light. I also find it kinda funny how in both, Luke/Light is studying to become a lawyer xD

And in the Japanese version, is Luke/Light a wimp who ends giving up, and is his reason for killing people revenge for his momma?

No. Those are two of the most important things that a Death Note adaptation should have.

1000% Knight

DeMatador wrote:
And in the Japanese version, is Luke/Light a wimp who ends giving up, and is his reason for killing people revenge for his momma?

No. Those are two of the most important things that a Death Note adaptation should have.

They copied enough to make it pretty obvious (at least to me) that they just watched the first LA movie and that's it. I never said that the copied the right things to make it a good adaptation, mind you.

Bad Player wrote:
DeMatador wrote:

They copied enough to make it pretty obvious (at least to me) that they just watched the first LA movie and that's it. I never said that the copied the right things to make it a good adaptation, mind you.

If they did that, at least they should have actually made a loyal Death Note adaptation, not... whatever they did :/

Anyway, loyal adaptation or not, I'm looking forward to it. I hope they exhibit here... They exhibited the DragonBall movie, so maybe there's still hope.

Oh Dear God.
Couldn't the writers, you know, keep the plot?
Like,
No Shinigami? Ryuk made things fun.
Light GIVES UP?? He's NEVER supposed to give up! It's his character!
No Misa? I never really liked Misa, but she's apart of the story!

:( This is upsetting

They basically took the Death Note plot, and added it to the everyday American. They just ignored everything but "there's a black note that kills peeps".

A True English Diva-To-Be <3

This is just....wrong. The whole thing that made Death Note gripping in the first place was the cat-and-mouse game between L and Light. And to be honest, if Light isn't a god-complexed mass murderer who hates to lose, this doesn't bear ANY resemblance to Death Note at all.

Also, depriving viewers of the hilarity of Drunk Misa is nothing short of cruel ;)
Click on Janice for graphics ^^

[Words]

What the heck is this!? They've basically taken away all of the stuff that made Death Note fun to watch! No shinigamis? No Misa? No unbreakable stubborness from Light, er, Luke!?
Lame.

This sounds too fake to be true!

Idol of Polar Bears

My favorite part of this movie is how it's not actually Death Note.

1000% Knight

Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

Of course it's Death Note! It has a Death Note in it, doesn't it? Isn't that all you need for Death Note? So there. It's Death Note, because it has a Death Note. It's not like you need anything else for it to be Death Note.

Bad Player wrote:
Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

Of course it's Death Note! It has a Death Note in it, doesn't it? Isn't that all you need for Death Note? So there. It's Death Note, because it has a Death Note. It's not like you need anything else for it to be Death Note.

Of course! It has a Death Note... and...

And... There's a guy that calls himself L like in the series...

And there's a Death Note...

1000% Knight

DeMatador wrote:
Bad Player wrote:
Mr. Bear Jew wrote:

Of course! It has a Death Note... and...

And... There's a guy that calls himself L like in the series...

And there's a Death Note...

Oh, and people die.

Like, from the Death Note.

[Words]

And there's a guy, who uses the Death Note...And there's a girl. And there's another guy, that might not like the guy who uses the Death Note, and...
I bet the movie's gonna suck.

WAIT!

Watari was there!!!

...That's it.

I wonder if this abomination got re-written? After all this script is around a year old, and nothing was really announced about the movie other than "there's gonna be a US DN movie guys".

Pffft..

They'd better re-write it.
There are going to be so much hatemail for WB if they actually make this movie with this script.

It's an abomination!! Eargh!
Permission to use-Granted by Tonyle414 on Deviantart.com

MissAceAttorney! lol.

Oh god. Save us now. I knew they were going to wreck it. Well, at least they didn't use Zac Efron like some people were saying.
But I bet that there will be lots of fan girls (or at least a couple of stupid fans) who love the american version but have never seen the real Death Note and get all angry when you try to tell them.
(Just like with Twilight XD)
Arggh, it just makes me angry though. Death Note was the only anime that I watched the whole way through, bought the manga and soundtracks and movies. (and cosplay ;P) But now it's destroyed.
Yet another amazing Asian thing to be demolished.
Great.

(Don't worry, rant over.)
Mrs Edgeworth! (lol, I wish.)
Even Mrs Kaliver Gavin would be nice!
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/ ... s08-02.jpg
^ Edgeys office
Page 2 of 3 [ 97 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios