Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 2 of 3[ 91 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Re: Avatar: The Legend of KorraTopic%20Title

Haven't gotten watch Korra yet, but I recently watched The Last Airbender and I really liked it so I'm definitely looking forward to checking out Korra one of these days.

Wait...how is Book Two of Korra out yet and nobody is talking about it here?

At any rate, Korra and Avatar is back! If you want to check out the new episodes and possibly discuss more, I recommend checking this place out:

http://www.avatarcycle.com/index.php

aka Ami <3

Well, I liked the first two episodes, and I hope they do more with the uncle than the obvious path they're going with him. Amon and the Fire Lord were both compelling villains, I'd hate for the latest is nothing but a mustache-twirler.

In Justice We Trust

I'm a bit annoyed at how the latest episode turned out. I can't explain why without spoiling it, so... consider yourselves warned.

Spoiler: Book 2, Chapter 4: Civil Wars, Part 2
It turns out the raiders that Tonraq pursued into the Spirit Forest had been hired by Unalaq so that he could usurp Tonraq's claim to the Northern chiefdom. He also rigged Tonraq's trial. Yeah, he wants the tribes united, but more importantly, he wants the tribes to be his. I was really hoping for a more ambiguous villain--you know, someone who thinks he's in it for his people or for the sake of peace between spirits and mortals instead of someone who's in it just to fulfill his own ambitions. So much for giving Korra a nice moral dilemma...

I'll always love you, Max.

TAkE YouR hEaRT

I actually kinda liked the first season of Korra, like sure it wasn't perfect but it wasn't 100% garbage either (although some people might beg to differ). But for some reason, I really can't get into the second one.

Spoiler: Spoilers for the entire season so far
Like Korra acted really immature in the first few episodes and I really didn't enjoy watching it. I was about to drop the show as whole but luckily the next few episodes turned out to be much better. Those two special episodes exploring who the first avatar was and how it all started were beautiful to watch and made me a bit teary eyed to be honest. Still, I just don't think this is a good season. But maybe my demands and expectations were just too high so I don't really know what to think.

Oh and another thing that really bugs me is that whole love triangle thing. It's making me sick. I mean, yeah it was already in the previous season and even then it really bugged me and to be utterly honest, I really wish it wouldn't exist in the first place. It's so unneeded, adds nothing really big to the plot as a whole and feels really poorly done. I just think this whole show would benefit if the creators stopped forcing that romance-subplot into the show and focus more on the actual more important mainplot.

Dracarys!

So, have they said anything on what the next season will be about?

Spoiler: season 2 spoilers
I mean, with that whole "10,000 years of darkness" thing and Korrazilla fighting the Avatar equivalent of Satan, there's not really too many ways they can raise the stakes.

The King of All

Ropfa wrote:
So, have they said anything on what the next season will be about?

Spoiler: season 2 spoilers
I mean, with that whole "10,000 years of darkness" thing and Korrazilla fighting the Avatar equivalent of Satan, there's not really too many ways they can raise the stakes.

Spoiler:
raise the stakes higher? Korra has to fight against 11,000 years of darkness :basil:

The king of all, Sir Duke

The dwarf geeky panda!

Season 3 will be about

Spoiler:
The name of the book is Change. It will be about the new era that is about to begin since now the spirits and humans are free to visit each other world. The Beifong family will have a predominant role. (Can't wait for that part.)

Spoiler: Season 2 thoughts
I think it was a good idea to sevre Korra's links from her previous line. We can finaly start her story as avatar Korra and not the story about the avatar that came after Aang.

Please don't hit me...

Spoiler:
The conclusion was pretty epic and game-changing, except for:

A. Unalaq and Vaatu being boring as hell (except for when they damaged Korra's connection with the past Avatars and Raava)

B. No Amon or Tarrlok in any of the Spirit World scenes

The dwarf geeky panda!

Well...

Spoiler:
The spirit world is not the world of the dead. Iroh just went to this world and litteraly left his body behind. That's why they were afraid for Tenzin's daughter. She would have lived. But to never return to her body, hence the physical world. As for Zhao, he was litteraly brough to the spirit world.

Please don't hit me...

I honestly found the second season to be surprisingly average. There was a distinct lack of the classic Avatar charm, and the so-called Team Avatar is just a ragtag bunch of uninteresting characters who I don't care about. I mean, what exactly did Asami and Bolin do this season? At least Mako got some kind of character development.

The first book, while sometimes focusing on the wrong thing, at least had a really intriguing overarching story. Dealing with regular people's discontent and fear over benders is a fantastic theme, and in my opinion far more so than even beating the Firelord - no, The Last Airbender is still better than the Legend of Korra, particularly when it comes to the characters, but I always found the plot a tad too simplistic - defeat X after a 100 years of war and all will be well again.

Spoiler: Book 2 incohesive thoughts
My biggest disappointment comes with Unalaq; I mean, the guy had absolutely no personality or redeeming traits at all. Unless they discover something new in book 3, all he wanted was power, and that's the lamest kind of motive there is unless it's done really, really well. He could've tried reasoning wih everybody, at the very least, and explained why he did what he did. Vaatu is not much better, villains who are evil just for the sake of it are just boring, plain and simple.

On the other hand, we got Varrick, who was more memorable and more of an antagonist than Unalaq and Vaatu ever were. Not only did he at least have motives, but he did some genuinely good things too, and he was never EVIL just for the hell of it. He was a ruthless businessman with a charming personality, and the fact that he wasn't a powerful bender just made things better.

While we're on the subject of characters, I have to say I really enjoyed Tenzin, just like in the last book. He's a great character, and the role he has is just right. His siblings were a tad useless though, and I wish they would at least talk a little bit more about what kind of father Aang was. I must admit though, I really loved the idea of Aang not being a perfect father; it makes him seem more human.

I feel like I've said all there is to say about Team Avatar. They were useless, boring and took up screen time. There's really not much else to add.

Moving on to the story, I must say I just felt kind of 'meh' the entire time. I was intrigued by the potential of a civil war, but they completely ignored that for some reason. As soon as they revealed what the Harmonic Convergence was, we all knew exactly how the plot would develop from there, which just removed a lot of the excitement.

I've never been interested in the spirit world, and this book certainly didn't help. I have absolutely no desire to explore it further, since it just seems to be filled to the brim with weird-looking plants and animals who can talk, but that's just my opinion. I know a lot of people love it.

If we exclude the ludicrous final battle and all its deus ex machina, I feel like the biggest fail of all, at least story-wise was the fact that Korra chose to keep the portals open. I have absolutely no idea how she came to such ridiculous a decision, but it made my jaw drop. We have only seen spirits being easily influenced by negative emotions and being able to wipe out experienced benders and destroying buildings with ease, and they very rarely did anything useful. Why the bloody hell would Korra choose to let such dangerous beings into the world after 10.000 years? Into a world where the majority of the population can't defend themselves? Into a world where spirits once ruled the world and killed any humans who left the giant lion turtles? They never gave us a satisfying explanation as to why the portals should remain open!

Overall, it was very disappointing. Hopefully more characters will be useful in the next book, and that it'll be about something more interesting.

I don't know how many of you know about the recent (or rather, now the few-days-old) slip-up, but The Legend of Korra Book 3 Episode 3-6 were leaked online in Spanish, which has forced Nickelodeon to reveal the trailer for the next season.

I also watched episode 3 and 4, and without spoiling anything, it seems like they're once again focusing on way too many subplots and character arcs than is possible for a series with around 12 episodes per season. After the complete disaster that was Book 2, I'm not hyped at all, and I expect it to continue like the previous seasons: Team Avatar is boring and useless, Korra's character regresses and Tenzin keeps getting the best character development and most hilarious lines, even though they're desperately trying to make Bolin Sokka 2.0.

I've felt worse.

Thane wrote:
I don't know how many of you know about the recent (or rather, now the few-days-old) slip-up, but The Legend of Korra Book 3 Episode 3-6 were leaked online in Spanish, which has forced Nickelodeon to reveal the trailer for the next season.

No, no. That can't be the real trailer. Nope. Not at all. I don't care what the reason is, there's no way a crapload of airbenders suddenly emerged in a few months/a year or so when we were told multiple times that Tenzin and his children were the only airbenders in existence.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

In Justice We Trust

Maybe I didn't look closely enough, but how many people were actually airbending? I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people in Air Nomad outfits were just Air Acolytes rather than actual Airbenders.

Also, it appears one of my favorite characters from the previous series will be showing up. I'd recognize that scar anywhere.
I'll always love you, Max.

The dwarf geeky panda!

Just saw the trailer and I have two theories about the airbenders.

1. Other people actually met the lion Sea turtle and gained the power of airbending.

2. In the past, not all air nomad died and they actually hided in the other nations and peretended to be non benders.

Also, Sparky Sparky Boom Girl anyone? It's true that they never really explained his power...
Please don't hit me...

Shao-Mae wrote:
Just saw the trailer and I have two theories about the airbenders.

1. Other people actually met the lion Sea turtle and gained the power of airbending.

2. In the past, not all air nomad died and they actually hided in the other nations and peretended to be non benders.

Also, Sparky Sparky Boom Girl anyone? It's true that they never really explained his power...

I'd assume it's because of Harmonic Convergence, A.K.A the worst thing that has ever happened to the Avatar series. That's probably why Bumi can airbend all of a sudden, which we saw in the trailer.

Seriously, there are a few things I simply cannot forgive the last season for. While the love triangle was obnoxious in the first season, at least the overarching plot was good and the ending, while rushed and solved too many problems, actually felt like a somewhat credible ending; in season two, Korra decides to keep portals open to a world where beings susceptible to negative emotions which can cause them to go on berserker sprees live. Throw in character regression, the most boring villain of all time and a cliché battle between light and dark, and you've got the perfect recipe for an inevitable bad end.

Oh, and giant laser avatar fights with deux ex machina, but I've managed to suppress my memories of that to a certain extent.

Sorry, I shouldn't whine so much, but I really have little faith left in the Korra series after that trainwreck. It also seems that, even though they've publically admitted that the love triangles were a bad idea and that they were going to stop, they're going to repeat many of the same mistakes. The character cast is ludicrously bloated. Aside from team Avatar and Tenzin's family, we've now got a new airbender kid, Zuko, more of Esna, Desna and Tonraq, a a team of four villains plus the Earth Queen, Lin and her family...and that's just off the top of my head with the limited information I have!

The dwarf geeky panda!

Thane wrote:
I'd assume it's because of Harmonic Convergence, A.K.A the worst thing that has ever happened to the Avatar series. That's probably why Bumi can airbend all of a sudden, which we saw in the trailer.

Seriously, there are a few things I simply cannot forgive the last season for. While the love triangle was obnoxious in the first season, at least the overarching plot was good and the ending, while rushed and solved too many problems, actually felt like a somewhat credible ending; in season two, Korra decides to keep portals open to a world where beings susceptible to negative emotions which can cause them to go on berserker sprees live. Throw in character regression, the most boring villain of all time and a cliché battle between light and dark, and you've got the perfect recipe for an inevitable bad end.

Oh, and giant laser avatar fights with deux ex machina, but I've managed to suppress my memories of that to a certain extent.

Sorry, I shouldn't whine so much, but I really have little faith left in the Korra series after that trainwreck. It also seems that, even though they've publically admitted that the love triangles were a bad idea and that they were going to stop, they're going to repeat many of the same mistakes. The character cast is ludicrously bloated. Aside from team Avatar and Tenzin's family, we've now got a new airbender kid, Zuko, more of Esna, Desna and Tonraq, a a team of four villains plus the Earth Queen, Lin and her family...and that's just off the top of my head with the limited information I have!

Hey you have the right to feel like you do, I haveted the love triangle too. My guess was either they wanted to try something new and they failed or the producers did a little research markething and forced them to add a love triangle because it's what's in today. I think it's the mix of the two.

The civil war theme had so much potential, like the non bender revolution, but they ended up screwing it, or maybe it's because I'm an adult wanting a cartoon to present and exploit an adult theme. I really liked the way they treated it like, "hey we can't take side it's more complicated than you think Korra" and the whole Nutuck propaganda made me laugh.

The only thing I might disagree with you is the ending. I liked the ending (not the fight by the way) as it seem that it want to become it's own serie's rather the sequel to a good serie.
Please don't hit me...

Shao-Mae wrote:
Thane wrote:

Hey you have the right to feel like you do, I haveted the love triangle too. My guess was either they wanted to try something new and they failed or the producers did a little research markething and forced them to add a love triangle because it's what's in today. I think it's the mix of the two.

The civil war theme had so much potential, like the non bender revolution, but they ended up screwing it, or maybe it's because I'm an adult wanting a cartoon to present and exploit an adult theme. I really liked the way they treated it like, "hey we can't take side it's more complicated than you think Korra" and the whole Nutuck propaganda made me laugh.

The only thing I might disagree with you is the ending. I liked the ending (not the fight by the way) as it seem that it want to become it's own serie's rather the sequel to a good serie.

I would have agreed with you about the ending, if we had been given the slightest clue as to why Korra did what she did. Throughout the entire season, spirits are for the most part violent, stupid, easily manipulated and uncontrolablle while exposed to negative emotions. They're powerful too, so it's not like your Average Joe can handle them. We also know they don't belong, or at least originate from, the human world, so it's not like they had been wronged when Wan closed the gates.

I don't expect what was supposed to be a mini-series be better than its predecessor, which is widely considered as one of, if not THE, best western animated series of all time, and I really liked book 1, save for some questionable decisions by the writers, but book 2 was just pure garbage. What did Team Avatar even do this season? Why did they reintroduce the love triangle? Why did Jinora have to save giant-spirit Korra? What happened to the civil war? Why did Unalaq do what he did? Why did Vaatu do what he did? Why did they decide to turn Korra into a GIANT LASER AVATAR?! And then they finish this nonsense by trying to make it look like Korra is making this profound decision that'll show her character growth (which disappeared between book 1 and 2) when all evidence points to it being a terrible idea. I don't even understand why she decided to keep them open. What does ANYONE gain from having spirits being able to enter the world?

Master of sharp things!

Saw the season premiere tonight. It was pretty good, though it feels a bit odd with how rushed it seemed in getting the story going again. But hey, I can't fault them for what they did with a certain character from the original show...

Spoiler: In case someone didn't see it yet
Zuko's still alive. He's now the Fire Lord, has Iroh's haircut and rides a kickass dragon around the world. Hasn't really done anything yet in terms of combat, but just seeing him involved with the plot is very interesting.

Probably the one thing that really didn't sit well with me is how bad the CGI stands out now. I know it stood out in previous seasons but here it's really noticeable, especially in the long, drawn-out shots.

元・超会社員級の管理人

I caught two and a half of the three episodes. It's a step up from book two, but the first episode was a little clunky in kick-starting the plot. At least we get more Asami, which is always a good thing.

I agree the CGI is really obvious now - like, jarringly so.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

I've got some very mixed feelings about book 3. I didn't straight up dislike it, Bolin made me laugh for the first time, and they've got a few good ideas, but I'm still very worried it's going to take a turn for the worse soon. They very obviously made fun of some fan feedback regarding unpopular things in the series, like Asami not doing anything, the love triangle and the fact that no one really likes Korra (come on, a poll of 8%? That has to be an internet poll somewhere), but they still have to, you know, FIX those issues. I can't stand the fact that Zahir took down presumably high-trained White Lotus guards like it was nothing after having been imprisoned for years and having no prior experience airbending.

They've also got far too many characters and subplots either already going on or planned, according to the trailer.

Oh, and Zahir's voice is awful.

The dwarf geeky panda!

Watched the episodes (finally!) and I'm mixed about this too.

Spoiler: 3 episodes of Book 3: Just in case
I liked the fact that people DON'T want to join the air culture after being transformed into airbenders (still waiting for the full explanation yet). Make me remember that spin off comic that place Aang into a delicate position after he realize that culture could not be sperated again like the time before the war. Also, it make more sense, but was afraid they were going into the wrong direction. Mako is getting some hits so that's good too for my system. We change the romance subplot to another character, so it's better than staying with the triangle one.

But the whole Earth Queen subplot make me shiver. Book 1 we had the repression felt by the non bender, a classic, but made sense in the universe where magic powered people seemed vastly superior to their normal counterpart. Book 2 we had a civil war (badly handled at the end unfortunatly) that presented another view about how a nation seperated by a vast ocean can function and unite. Book 3 we have... oh no... no... please... not a 99% vs 1% story. Please please not that! I'm tired of these kind of things! If they do that and screw it the writters will lose respect from me and I defend everyone, even the bad writters!

Oh and is it me or water became even more OP? And Zuko really know how to force a reference (I wanted to slap my face when it happened). And I really love Bolin and Tenzin's son.

On a personal note I feel this serie need filler episode so they can flesh their character a bit, like The Last airbender did (but that's Nickelodeon's fault.)
Please don't hit me...

I really don't like where this season is going; there are far too many new characters and subplots appearing all at once, which will undoubtedly lead to some characters feeling incredibly shallow and forgettable while some parts of the story will feel far too rushed; just remember what happened at the end of book 1. Hell, I'm still waiting for a reason for "team Avatar" to even accompany Korra, and now we have to deal with Kai, Lin, her sister, her sister's family, Zuko and his ragtag bunch of misfits doing something and four new villains (although I believe Lin's sister will be the mastermind behind their activites). All this while some older characters are in desperate need of development or just better writing in general (I'm looking at you Bolin, who's supposed to be comic relief but has made me laugh once.)

There's no real goal whatsoever in this season. Sure, they're going to round up airbenders, but how many are there and when will they stop? I mean, right now random airbenders are the only thing driving the plot forward as it's the only excuse for Korra to go anywhere.

They have several good ideas, but I'm afraid they're going to waste them all again.

The dwarf geeky panda!

I think the major problem of this serie is trying too hard to tie itself with the old one. I was sure after Book 2 (that I considered the turning point of the serie's emancipate itself from The Last Airbender) that now they would focus on the new cast and forget about the old one. Sad I was wrong. By the way I'm still waiting for the reason why those people were chosen to be airbenders. Did they had air nomad ancestry? But it was explained that the nations always lived seperated from each other until the fire war...

Also, I think you may be too harsh on Bolin. I think he's a good comic relief, but that's just my opinion. Also, from what I remember Team Aang didn't had a super reason to accompagny him all the way except the fact that they were friend and her needed to go to the north pol... ok never mind I think I answered my own question. But team Korra are precisely just a bunch of friend that go around the world together and Lin is there to ensure her security no?
Please don't hit me...

Shao-Mae wrote:
I think the major problem of this serie is trying too hard to tie itself with the old one. I was sure after Book 2 (that I considered the turning point of the serie's emancipate itself from The Last Airbender) that now they would focus on the new cast and forget about the old one. Sad I was wrong. By the way I'm still waiting for the reason why those people were chosen to be airbenders. Did they had air nomad ancestry? But it was explained that the nations always lived seperated from each other until the fire war...

Also, I think you may be too harsh on Bolin. I think he's a good comic relief, but that's just my opinion. Also, from what I remember Team Aang didn't had a super reason to accompagny him all the way except the fact that they were friend and her needed to go to the north pol... ok never mind I think I answered my own question. But team Korra are precisely just a bunch of friend that go around the world together and Lin is there to ensure her security no?

Well the ending of book 2 is, without a shadow of a doubt, the single worst thing that has happened in both Avatar shows. It is so bad that I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it, but I've ranted about that too much already.

Maybe we'll find out later, and even if we don't, I don't think I'd mind too much; I'd rather take no particular reason over a bad one. I DO want to know why Zaheer is an airbending master even though he's been in a very small prison cell for 13 years. It's true he knows a lot about the culture, but he couldn't have mastered bending moves without airbending, since they actually require, you know, AIR to work.

No, I'm not too hard on Bolin. Bolin is a pathetic attempt at recapturing the success of Sokka. You said yourself that you think the show tries to hard to tie itself to its predecessor, and Bolin is the worst offender of doing just that. His jokes are never funny, feel completely forced and I don't respect him as a character. He's dead weight and should be treated as such, but instead they think we'd love seeing him get sweet with yet another girl. As if Korra and Esna weren't enough.

Also, you can't compare the situations of the two team Avatars. The first one started out as the Avatar whose entire culture had been wiped out in his absence, and two water tribe youngsters who left their shattered home in order to: save the world, find their father and find a waterbending master. The current team Avatar are a bunch of teenagers who have been professional sportsmen, actors, CEOs and police officers, yet have enough time to accompany the Avatar rounding up random airbenders.

The dwarf geeky panda!

About Zaheer, I think he was once part of the Lotus or the group member that tried to recreate the airbender style of life (they only appear in the comics though). He also seemed familiar with the practice flipping panel and the "be the leaf thing". My guess is that he knows about the move, the mentality of airbending and could easily master it in 2 weeks (ok it sound probably lame).

If you want to continue in the "offending the original team avatar", I assume that Mako is a bad representation of Zuko both psychologycaly and physicaly (there is also that thing, I think he can lightning bend? I don't know I think there was an episode where he did that and never did it again). For me THIS GUY was the worst offender of the show. Not only because of that lovey thingy, but because they, as you said, tried to recreate a popular character, this one, the serious guy. He's stoic, serious seem to have pride (even if I can't see it in Mako) and all the ladies are supposed to fangirl over him. They should had done that to Tenzin, so he could be the serious guy, the moral center of Korra and the character fans could write fanfiction about the why he is like that and how they could change him... For the time management, I never bothered since a lot of show do the same thing. Normaly I'm the type of viewer that never bother over details unless it's overly blatant and in my face.

With all of this, I start to question for who they are doing the show, for the ancient fans of the serie or the newcomers, because with all those reference I would think it's for the ancient fans (who grew up, thus the more "serious theme") but since they need to explain it (that scene with Zuko...urgh) I think the higher ups start to worry about their results. Also Is it me or Zuko is really in shape for a 86 year old man?
Please don't hit me...

So, is it just me, or has nothing happened yet? There'll be 13 episodes in total, and we've watched seven, and all they've done is establishing what's going on, filled to the brim with unnecessary subplots and forgettable characters like Opel. Also, remember Zuko and the crazy team of super benders that are after Korra? I pretty much forgot they're in this season.

The dwarf geeky panda!

Thane wrote:
So, is it just me, or has nothing happened yet? There'll be 13 episodes in total, and we've watched seven, and all they've done is establishing what's going on, filled to the brim with unnecessary subplots and forgettable characters like Opel. Also, remember Zuko and the crazy team of super benders that are after Korra? I pretty much forgot they're in this season.

As much as it's bring me pain to admit it, you are right. They mainly focused on character development this season and it's a bit painful, since they hyped those criminals so much and I'm still waiting for a few explanation, like how can someone fire fire (haha) with its mind and how someone can waterbend without arms (yeah I though her hands were bounded but no she just has no arms.) And how those eldery can stay so much in fit (I though about 86 years Zuko and 112 years Bumi and I wish I could get old in the avatar universe).

Random thought: I start to have pity on Jun Lee or whatever the name of Varrick assistant is. (I always hear it as Julie)
Please don't hit me...

The King of All

Annnnd Legend of Korra is being taken off of Nickelodeon due to low ratings.

But fear not CR! For Korra has not been cancelled! Instead, and this was tweeted on Brian Konietzko's tumblr, that Legend of Korra will go digital in some way and that we'll learn more at Comic Con.

It's a darn shame but could've been much worse. :Hoboright:

Well it was leaked on a Spanish site way before schedule, was being aired at a bad time (or so I hear), had little advertisement before the third book aired and book two was a for the most part a reeking pile of goo, so I'm not surprised.

Master of sharp things!

Thane wrote:
Well it was leaked on a Spanish site way before schedule, was being aired at a bad time (or so I hear), had little advertisement before the third book aired and book two was a for the most part a reeking pile of goo, so I'm not surprised.

Actually, from what I've been reading, it looks like the sole issue here is the advertisers. After the episode leak fiasco happened, all willing parties completely bailed on the show, so Nickelodeon decided to just burn off what they had on hand as fast as possible to maximize revenue.

Say what you will about the quality of the episodes and whatnot, but if Nick had already greenlit a fourth season before the aforementioned leaks occurred, the show had to have at least been doing decently up to that point.

Blademaster_Orca wrote:
Thane wrote:

Actually, from what I've been reading, it looks like the sole issue here is the advertisers. After the episode leak fiasco happened, all willing parties completely bailed on the show, so Nickelodeon decided to just burn off what they had on hand as fast as possible to maximize revenue.

Say what you will about the quality of the episodes and whatnot, but if Nick had already greenlit a fourth season before the aforementioned leaks occurred, the show had to have at least been doing decently up to that point.

Wait, isn't The Legend of Korra scheduled to have four seasons or has that changed? Or am I just misunderstanding you?

The King of All

A Book 4 has been ordered, but it may go digital.

The dwarf geeky panda!

Wow it's actually the first time I hear that a serie's is going off the air in mid season (normaly here we wait until the season end, though we don't have the pilot system).
Please don't hit me...

Episode nine was decent, and I quite enjoyed a few things, like Zaheer actually both being clever and fairly likeable by giving Korra answers, although one could argue that it was just convenient for the plot since we've only got four episodes left. I also like a villain with an actual motive, rather than Unalaq (more like Uninterestinglaq).

However, this is also where he falls short as a villain. We're supposed to care about the "foolishness" of keeping the Spirit World and the Human World separated, even though that is the natural state according to the Wan episodes, and we're never once told why it's such a good idea having those two worlds mingle; apparently the world did okay for the past 10.000 years. Hell if anything we've only been shown how incredibly dangerous most spirits are/can be to most people, even benders and the Avatar itself.

Secondly, having Zaheer appear as some sort of anarchist, while interesting, was done in the least thought-provoking way possible. He took up a few bad leaders as his excuse for wanting a world without borders, and forgets everything that implies, namely that leaders aren't people. As in the real world, there are religious, cultural, lingual and ethnic differences between areas, not to mention differences in land fertility, resources and general geographic situation. From what I've understood, this is no longer a kid show, and you can't simply brush these things aside; otherwise the main villain's motives become shallow and the rest of the cast seems stupid for not questioning the fallacy of its logic.

In short, not only is the audience already skeptic towards the spirit mumbo jumbo, but Zaheer comes across as an idealistic teenager rather than the wise Anti-Avatar he's supposed to be, and that simply does not cut it.

And remember Tonraq, Zuko and Esna & Desna? How about Kai and Bumi being new Airbenders? Bolin and Opal's romance? And the civil unrest in the Earth Kingdom? Yeah, me neither.

Oh, and fuck Bolin, seriously.

Quick edit: this is the second time those books have appeared in someone's drawer. At first I thought it was Equalist propaganda, but now I'm thinking it's foreshadowing something from season 4. Can anybody translate what it says on the front?

Dracarys!

Spoiler: spoilers for season 3 finale and large image

Zaheer = Amon > Unalaq.

So, what did people think about the finale? Honestly, I was hoping their plan would be something a bit more complex than "kill the Avatar!", and I was hoping they'd have more ulterior motives rather than just being anarchists. The finale itself lacked any sort of oomph-moment for me. Sure, P'li blowing herself up and Korra being tortured were awful scenes with some impact, but if you compare it to Zuko's choice in the finale of TLA book 2, or even Tarrlok deciding to blow up the boat in season one of TLK, it just doesn't come close. There was also a noticeable lack of Zuko, Esna and Desna and Opal even though we spent some time with them earlier in the season. The cast is so bloated right now, and even though they desperately try to include both new characters and let Team Avatar be active and likeable, I can't really say they succeed. Episode 10 made a wonderful job of humanizing the Red Lotus with the car scene, but that was about the only real character development they got, and they tried having Asami do something as opposed to nothing, but it was absolutely nothing memorable.

And while Book 2's structure was near-identical to Book 1, Book 3 loaned far too much from The Last Airbender, and it convinced me that the series will always be in its predecessor's shadow. Book 1 could've surpassed even The Last Airbender, but they chose to focus too much on romance and too little on the Equalists and included far too boring characters for it to achieve that goal. The ending also tied itself up too neatly. However, it's still the best Legend of Korra season, in my opinion, having a more interesting villain, a less bloated cast and fresher ideas. Speaking of tying things up too neatly though, I'm not sure I want Korra to be depressed. Fatigued and suffering from her battle and experience, sure, but ending the season with a tear even though she's arguably survived worse with bigger risks? No, and since it'll probably be a major theme in Book 4, one has to wonder just how they'll go about having a show with a crippled, depressed Avatar.

I still want to know about the yellow books we've seen twice now. Once in the police detective's drawers, and once in the drawers of the hotel in the stakeout.

And Bolin is still one of the worst characters I've ever had to put up with. He's flat out boring, kills the tension whenever he opens his mouth and his character hasn't developed at all. Zaheer laughing like a maniac after having learned how to fly and Korra is on the ground poisoned and writhing in agony? Better literally put a sock in his mouth! Fuck him.

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I finally caught up with everything. It was a while since I last returned to this series, as I had felt a disconnect since the first two episodes of the second season. (Plus, I was caught up with Ace Attorney stuff and a little Dissidia and FF7 nostalgia.) Eventually, with a little time on my hands, I sped through the 2nd and 3rd seasons across three days.

Honestly, after hearing spoilers about Korra's amnesia episode from my bro, I was pretty convinced that the series was going downhill. I'm glad that I decided to give it another chance to see for myself. It's not that bad when you take the episodes together, rather than apart. Nonetheless, the 2nd season was definitely the weakest of the three.

Yet, no matter what, the animation team does this show justice. I cannot count how many times I've admired the choreography of the battles. It's one thing to shoot magic elements from one's hands; it's another to do so in martial style. Obviously, this was a given since the original series, but martial arts, especially those of Chinese origin, never stop entrancing me with how diverse they are. To a casual viewer, it just looks like they're all dancing and waving their arms around, but a closer look shows the amount of detail they put into each movement.

But anyway, thoughts and impressions on the 2nd and 3rd seasons:

Spoiler: TLK, Season 2
For all I forgot from season 1, I could still jump right into season 2... even if all I remembered was "Korra, spiritual training, and evil uncle". A quick review of the first two episodes reminded me of the details, especially of the strange twins. Still, those three primary topics made up the entirety of this season anyway, aside from the whole civil war bit. That bit wasn't bad, but I kept getting Hamlet vibes from the evil uncle. Good thing Tarrlok is a badass.

The ideals of good and evil having actual living embodiments, even as spirits, was a little cheesy for me to take at face value, but I could understand why they took that route. How else would they explain how the Avatar was born in the first place and had all the magical element-bending powers, and was the "bridge" between worlds? Wang (or was it Huang?) didn't capture my heart either. He came off as any ol' goodie two-shoes, and was only a thief at first because he was poor. And the ancient battle went so well "through the power of friendship and bonding!"

Don't get me started with the kaijuu battle of a final confrontation. They were even standing over water, overlooking a city. Jenora's spiritual quest didn't help it, sadly.

Still, for all I can mock it for, I still got a few laughs. As stupid as the Nuktuk movies were, they were worth some comedy relief, and Varek was pretty cool. (My fanboy brother kept hyping him up, though, so when it came down to it, he didn't impress me as much as I'd hoped. Not even with the twist that revealed he was an evil jerk, since that's how he started anyway.) I wasn't very interested in Bolin's star attitude, but his encounters with his psycho girlfriend were golden. He was my favorite comic relief from the 1st season, and I didn't mind how obnoxious he could be throughout the next two.

I did, however, feel bothered that Mako kept failing to impress me throughout, outside of battle scenarios. I honestly try to like him, but he and Asami are starkly in the cool but otherwise meh territory.

However, Milo is still mvp of this season.

Spoiler: TLK, Season 3
Now this is more like it. I'm glad all the dues ex machina from last season weren't left as open ends. I like the conflicts between the material and spiritual worlds, although I was hoping that there could be a little more involvement from the spirits. Some of them can speak too. Not to mention, now that the two worlds are linked permanently (at least for the next 10,000 years), so wouldn't there be spirits of the dead that end up back in the material world as well? Granted, it's their choice to move wherever they wish, but I'd think the connection with the previous avatars would be, well, stronger.

Also, it was a wasted opportunity for other human and spirit conflicts. Yeah, the message from the previous season was for both sides to live in harmony, but the point is, they aren't supposed to get along just like that. It seemed like it was an idea floating around in the beginning, but then was dropped in place of the anarchist revolutionaries.

Beside those points, everything else was solid. And speaking of those revolutionaries, they held a lot of promise. They were the badass villains I've been hoping to see again since the original series, and the Equalists were not nearly as impressive imo. Sure, their ultimate plan came to "destroy all the Avatars and world leaders!" but at least every time they showed up, there was an awesome fight scene. Also, the finale battle of this season was way more impressive than the one from the last.

Besides, the uprising of new air benders was beautifully done, though the best moments didn't come until the last few episodes. I didn't care much for Kai, as it was obvious where his character was going. Jenora already had her special spirit connectivity established since the previous season, but now is spammable. The one who impressed me most was Bumi, but panicky dude who had his hair forcefully shaved came in a close second. At first, I wasn't that sure about Bumi gaining bending abilities, but now I think it's a major improvement. We already have Asami as the non-bender fighter of the cast, and we don't need another Sokka. They already played that card last season. It's just too bad that the more I see of Kaya, the more difficult it is for me to distinguish her from her mother.

Meanwhile, the sisterly scuffle between Lin and Su wasn't that heartwrenching from the start. Nonetheless, once they made up, the two of them make a great pair. Whether it's between brothers or sisters, I enjoy seeing sibling rivalry making up an even greater collaboration effort. And that said, the combo of Mako and Bolin vs Water Arms and Lava Guy looked all the more impressive. Still, I'm just not feeling it with either Mako or Asami; still waiting for them to have their moments when I can go "Holy crap, these guys are awesome!"

Well, whenever I see a happy grandma seeing her grandkids for once in a long time, I have to smile. And I know sweet but annoying grandmas. Mine was too... before she got Alzheimer's and passed away.

This took me way longer than I had anticipated. I should remind myself not to stall on episodes in a series, or I'll be overwhelmed with subjects to talk about.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

I'm glad people like this season so much, but I just can't get myself to like it more than Book 1, let alone The Last Airbender. The cast is too bloated, the villain motives too simplistic and no real plan where to go with, frankly, most characters, among other things. Also, Bolin is getting more obnoxious with every season; I've never been this annoyed with a comic relief.

Don't get me wrong, it's a step in the right direction, but it couldn't get worse than Book 2. We still don't know why exactly the portals had to be opened, other than to restore the Air Nation, which Korra didn't know would happen when she made that choice, and that's just one of the wounds left made by Book 2.

By the way, Rubes, you know Chinese, do you know what that pamphlet or book or whatever it is says? The moustache duo in Book 2 has something in their drawer which looks ominous, and the same thing appeared in the hotel room when they were following Ai Wei. I just want to know if it's foreshadowing.
Page 2 of 3 [ 91 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios