Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 9 of 9[ 355 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Re: Most overrated anime/movie/TV Show characterTopic%20Title

Ace Sidekick!

Here's a character nobody seemed to mention...Seto Kaiba from Yu Gi Oh. *gets shot*

Sorry ladies, but as a kid I really didn't like him...Well, I could tolerate him in the first season and some other points, but most of the time this guy was just a prick and never really changed...Yu Gi and Atem are Effing saints to always consider him a friend.

Emiko Gale wrote:
Here's a character nobody seemed to mention...Seto Kaiba from Yu Gi Oh. *gets shot*

Sorry ladies, but as a kid I really didn't like him...Well, I could tolerate him in the first season and some other points, but most of the time this guy was just a prick and never really changed...Yu Gi and Atem are Effing saints to always consider him a friend.

Well, remember, Yuugi was a freaking loner kid and was constantly bullied so finally getting a friend - or simply calling someone a friend - made him probably a little... more tolerant... towards other's antics. I dunno or even consider why Kaiba would be overrated... except maybe for his awesome outfits.

C-A

Ace Sidekick!

Hmmmm, true. But last time I checked Kaiba was loved by many and I considered him an a**hole.

I want to say Haruhi Suzimiya but I haven't exactly came across to watching the anime yet...But so far Haruhi is coming off at me as a effing attention whore.

And I would also want to say Rika from the When the Cicadas Cry series even though I haven't watched the whole series just for being overbearingly cute.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Emiko Gale wrote:
Hmmmm, true. But last time I checked Kaiba was loved by many and I considered him an a**hole.

I want to say Haruhi Suzimiya but I haven't exactly came across to watching the anime yet...But so far Haruhi is coming off at me as a effing attention whore.

And I would also want to say Rika from the When the Cicadas Cry series even though I haven't watched the whole series just for being overbearingly cute.

Don't talk shit about Haruhi when you haven't seen the series!

I'll leave now.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Ace Sidekick!

Just my first impression Blak...I saw Haruhi dressing herself in a sexy bunn :hobohodo: y suit to get attention.

Captain Ascot and the Survey Corps!

Emiko Gale wrote:

Believe me, Rika gets much, much better as the series goes on. I thought it was Satoko with the overbearing cuteness, though...

Can't think of any characters I find overrated just now, but I'm sure I'll think of someone.

☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆

Emiko Gale wrote:
Just my first impression Blak...I saw Haruhi dressing herself in a sexy bunn :hobohodo: y suit to get attention.

She also gets Mikuru to dress up. If I remember correctly it was to recruit more members for their club. Ain't nothing wrong with it since sex sells.
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.

Stole a TARDIS, landed here.

Tv: Big Band Theory. And River Song from Doctor Who. Everyone seems to love her, and I've tried, but I can't. (Trust me, I tried. Doctor Who is to me what Steel Samurai is to Maya.)

Movies: The Notebook and Avatar. Esp. the latter.

Anime:I really don't watch enough to pick one. ...please don't judge me too harshly for this.

The King of All

I like Legend of Korra, but there is one character I can't STAND!

MAKO! :tigre:

Now, I know a lot of people don't like him, but I can't help but rant about him. He's a pompous, arrogant, scumbag! He cheated on Korra and Asami WHEN ALL THREE KNEW ABOUT IT and still got off scot free. And I feel bad for Bolin too, he was on a date with Korra in Book 1 and Mako can't let his own brother be happy, so he went and cheated. I just hate this guy and the fact that he gets away with everything. :kudo:
The king of all, Sir Duke

Deadpool 9 wrote:

Now, I know a lot of people don't like him, but I can't help but rant about him. He's a pompous, arrogant, scumbag! He cheated on Korra and Asami WHEN ALL THREE KNEW ABOUT IT and still got off scot free. And I feel bad for Bolin too, he was on a date with Korra in Book 1 and Mako can't let his own brother be happy, so he went and cheated. I just hate this guy and the fact that he gets away with everything. :kudo:

Right? I don't think Mako would be so intolerable if the show would at least portray him as being in the wrong sometimes. I don't mind that he's a stupid, confused teenager - I mind that the writers don't seem to realize he is. I thought for sure he'd face some consequences in Book 2, but instead... Asami completely forgave him and then came onto him again as soon as Korra broke up with him? And then when Korra is willing to take him back, he ditches Asami without a second thought. And he STILL gets away with it.

I want to like him, especially since he was named in honour of, well... Mako. But I just can't do it. Take away the "love shape," as someone so eloquently put it, and the show would be all the better for it. Mako needs some time to be single and reflect.

The King of All

Coyote wrote:
Deadpool 9 wrote:

Right? I don't think Mako would be so intolerable if the show would at least portray him as being in the wrong sometimes. I don't mind that he's a stupid, confused teenager - I mind that the writers don't seem to realize he is. I thought for sure he'd face some consequences in Book 2, but instead... Asami completely forgave him and then came onto him again as soon as Korra broke up with him? And then when Korra is willing to take him back, he ditches Asami without a second thought. And he STILL gets away with it.

I want to like him, especially since he was named in honour of, well... Mako. But I just can't do it. Take away the "love shape," as someone so eloquently put it, and the show would be all the better for it. Mako needs some time to be single and reflect.

The love triangle in Legend of Korra is AWFUL. It's always in your face and too big of a focus. I want to say Last Airbender did a love triangle right... but I never could see ZukoXKatara a reality. That love triangle was always more AangXKatara.

Yet I was never into shipping. :ron:

I've felt worse.

Deadpool 9 wrote:
The love triangle in Legend of Korra is AWFUL. It's always in your face and too big of a focus. I want to say Last Airbender did a love triangle right... but I never could see ZukoXKatara a reality. That love triangle was always more AangXKatara.

That's because there never was a love triangle between Aang, Katara, and Zuko.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

The King of All

sumguy28 wrote:
Deadpool 9 wrote:

That's because there never was a love triangle between Aang, Katara, and Zuko.

My mistake, I worded that weirdly. I meant the ZukoXKatara shippers. Despite the lack of an actual triangle, there were some ZukoXKatara moments (the episode "The Southern Raiders" comes to mind).

The dwarf geeky panda!

Coyote wrote:
Deadpool 9 wrote:

I completly understand. As soon as I saw Mako I though "okay so he's the guy all the girl will love and obviously will be the love interest of Korra". No problem with that. It is a cildren show after all and they want to attract the female audience nothing wrong yet.
they want to write more about the complicated relationship ones can have. Okay with that, they brought up some super serious themes (civil war) in the second season so a bit of love to lighten the mood is okay. Wait... Why is Mako such a dumbass. Why doen't he get beaten by one of those girls. WHY THE F THE GIRLS ARE SO DUMB?! Since the super dark theme fell I just couldn't concentrated on the love between Korra Mako and Asami. It semmed like a bad Twilight.

Spoiler:
At least now they broke up and they'll shut up with the love story.

Other overrated show? All the soap opera made in Quebec, because they are just plain old soap opera but people doen't notice at all... And South Park. Maybe I didn't saw the right episode, but I sure find it too dumb for me. And I LOOOOVE dumb things.
Please don't hit me...

The King of All

^This. I never realized it, but the love triangle did make the show like Twilight, so much that I didn't watch most of the second season. I just hope that in seasons 3 and 4, the writers fix it.

Your Honor! There is a contradiction!

One of the TV Characters that I think is overrated is Rose Tyler from Doctor Who. *hides behind cover*

Oh dear me, there are so many overrated characters out there...I don't know where to start, nor do I know whether or not people will want to beat me up for my opinions. Oh well, I'll start out easy.

Most characters from Naruto - contrary to popular belief, there's not a single complex character alive in that series. While some characters are fairly decent, like Shikamaru who actually develops in a credible way, they seldom do anything and are overshadowed by the many, many flat out bad characters. Sasuke, Madara, Tobi, Itachi, Kabuto and pretty much every single woman come to mind. I can't believe I actually remember all those names, but I guess it'll come in handy one of these days when someone tries to convince me that Naruto is actually a good series.

Everyone from Code Geass - most forgettable show I've ever watched in my entire life. At least the beginning of Naruto is good.

Everyone from The Walking Dead and How I met your Mother - the two most overrated show ever.

Joey from Friends - I just don't see the appeal in having a retarded giant baby act as a womanizer. He starts out okay, and gets better towards the later seasons when he isn't a complete loser. (Also, I'm talking about the character here, not Mr. LeBlanc.)

Team Avatar from The Legend of Korra - everyone except for Korra herself, who's actually pretty darn awesome whenever her personality isn't busy regressing. The others don't have a reason to even be on the show for the most part. Luckily, we've got Tenzin and Lin to compensate for that, but unfortunately even they couldn't save season 2.

Anime:Bleach,Haruhi,highschool of the dead,black butler,death note (because it became too mainstream after I finished it)

Tvshow:Dr.Who,The Walking Dead,Breaking Bad,American idol.

Last edited by Church Of Sumire on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★

Anime:
BLEACH, Naruto, Code Geass, Durarara!!, etc

Typical cartoons:
Invader Zim, Avatar: The last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, etc

TV shows:
Doctor Who, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc

I'm not a fan of "mainstream" shows and anime.
I would list a lot more, but I'm too lazy and way too into this manga I'm reading so I'll leave it as this for now until I decide to not be lazy and edit.
FacebookKidd & Milky ArtPersonal/18+ Art InstagramArt Merch
Twitter: @miilkyweiPSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: Chainsaw Man / Pokemon Scarlet

Hm? Wasn't this a thread about overrated CHARACTERS, not shows in general?

Thane wrote:

Every character in each show I put is overrated. Naming the characters themselves would take too much time.

Thane wrote:

I think the overrated part was for Tv characters :think-think-think:

Scuttlebutt wrote:
Thane wrote:

Every character in each show I put is overrated. Naming the characters themselves would take too much time.

Huh, and I was afraid I was being too vague.

Thane wrote:
Scuttlebutt wrote:
Thane wrote:

Huh, and I was afraid I was being too vague.

No such thing. :ron:

:)

I think Naruto gets too much attention.

Zuko from The Last Airbender.
I don't know, everybody keeps telling me he is so great and such a good villain - for one, he's an anti-hero, not a villain. He joins the group, which anti-heroes tend to do, so him doing that is nothing special. He has a sad backstory, well boohoo, anti-heroes tend to have one that is supposed to make you sympathize with them (example, Kaiba's orphanage backstory with being mentally and even physically abused by Gozaburo to study and all that)
Long list short, he's nothing special.

C-A

Chloe wrote:

From us here on the site claiming it's overrated, or by people in general?

Because I'm not exaggerating when I say that the current arc (which has been going for over two years now, I believe) is one of the worst things I've ever read, at least by someone who actually earns money writing. How that show is still going is beyond me.

Thane wrote:
Chloe wrote:

Because I'm not exaggerating when I say that the current arc (which has been going for over two years now, I believe) is one of the worst things I've ever read, at least by someone who actually earns money writing. How that show is still going is beyond me.

Are you talking about the anime or the actual manga?

Fool Bright wrote:
Thane wrote:
Chloe wrote:

Both, although I stopped watching the anime a long time ago. I do hope the anime isn't as insultingly bad as the manga.

Thane wrote:
Fool Bright wrote:

Both, although I stopped watching the anime a long time ago. I do hope the anime isn't as insultingly bad as the manga.

I don't think the manga is that bad with the final arc of the series but the anime is pretty bad with alot of fillers which is why I stay away from it and just enjoy the manga.

Fool Bright wrote:
Thane wrote:
Fool Bright wrote:

I don't think the manga is that bad with the final arc of the series but the anime is pretty bad with alot of fillers which is why I stay away from it and just enjoy the manga.

May I ask what exactly you enjoy? The so-called "war" is a joke; I'd probably need to create an entire thread to point out everything that's wrong with it.

Thane wrote:
May I ask what exactly you enjoy? The so-called "war" is a joke; I'd probably need to create an entire thread to point out everything that's wrong with it.

Compared to the other arcs its more enjoying and a lot more going on with more action. Plus the arc is finally getting to the heart of everything.

FYI: I'm not a huge Naruto fan but I still enjoy the manga.

Fool Bright wrote:
Thane wrote:

Compared to the other arcs its more enjoying and a lot more going on with more action. Plus the arc is finally getting to the heart of everything.

Yes, after more than two years of redshirts dying at the hands of a clone army, we can finally start seeing the villain sue's death on the horizon. Seriously, the only thing that's more bothers me more than the tedious, repetitive, uninteresting, uninspired dialogue and fights in Shippuden, and especially every arc after Pain, is the lack of logic and direction of the plot.

Hey, it's not for me to decide what you enjoy; I personally really like the two first arcs, even though they also have their problems. After that, however, the story and characters get progressively worse, and now we've reached a "bad fanfic" level of bad.

Thane wrote:
Fool Bright wrote:
Thane wrote:

Yes, after more than two years of redshirts dying at the hands of a clone army, we can finally start seeing the villain sue's death on the horizon. Seriously, the only thing that's more bothers me more than the tedious, repetitive, uninteresting, uninspired dialogue and fights in Shippuden, and especially every arc after Pain, is the lack of logic and direction of the plot.

Hey, it's not for me to decide what you enjoy; I personally really like the two first arcs, even though they also have their problems. After that, however, the story and characters get progressively worse, and now we've reached a "bad fanfic" level of bad.

Why did you feel that the latest arc was edious, repetitive, uninteresting, uninspired if you don'tmind me asking?

Alright, give me a minute, I'll write some of my thoughts in an edited version of this post.

Spoiler: Why the "war" arc in Naruto fails on every level
I have so many thoughts and opinions of this that I don't know where to begin, and it's not like I've had the motivation to read through old Naruto manga, so I may have forgotten a few things. However, I've read the latest chapter, so there's no point in telling me to wait for it to get better.

The so-called war is a failed concept to begin with. Ninja in the beginning were portrayed as killing machines working in small teams as pawns of politcians, which bothered our main characters, and after the final battle with Zabuza and Haku, both the readers and the characters were left with a feeling of hopelessness. What makes life worth living if you're doomed to spend your life as a pawn? Are you inevitably going to become like Zabuza if you get as powerful as him? Why were they forced to fight to begin with, considering they didn't even know each other? All of these are wonderful, difficult questions the reader is left with, and it makes us hope Naruto and his friends won't become like Zabuza or worse.

As the story progresses, we learn of other villages than the ones the protagonists come from, and we learn of the villages' common, bloody history. However, aside from maybe the Sand Village, these villages are never explored at all, so the only thing the reader knows about the different countries and villages is that they hate each other, and that there have been several wars in the past (of course, we're never really told why).

Fast forward several years, and all the different Kage are working together because someone in a mask claimed he was an old, supposedly super powerful warrior, and that he was going to take the remaining two tailed beasts. All of these Kage, who had been fighting up till now, decide to assemble an army as if they and the masked man reached some kind of agreement. After virtually no trouble, the entire army, save for a few characters like Naruto who is off training on a special Jinchuriki island that had never been mentioned before, is standing in front of their commanders. Since a lot of them remember the wars of old, there's a lot of fighting among the ranks, which is perfectly understandable; after all, half of Shippuden has basically been about Naruto wanting to find a way to create lasting peace in the world.

Luckily for Naruto, Gaara takes care of that with one speech. I'm not kidding, after one speech, the entire ninja world is prepared to stand united; the nameless soldiers all forgive one another, and the trust issue is never once brought up again.

So yeah, Naruto's big dream of uniting the world, a dream inherited from his teacher, was accomplished in the span of a minute or two. The best thing is that it wasn't even he who did it.

That's one of the worst things in the war arc, but don't worry, we've got plenty more shit to wade through.

So what are these redshirts going to be fighting? Clones. Clones and zombies resurrected by an uninteresting villain - consider him an evil version of Smithers from Simpsons, because he was quite literally the butler of a much more intimidating villain. His name is Kabuto, and he somehow stole some powers from his old master because he wanted to be noticed by people, so now he resurrects zombies and kill people from afar, which is the perfectly logical thing to do.

While I'm at it, I might as well describe the motives of the two other villains.

The masked man's 13-year-old crush died.
The villain sue's brother died.

And now they both want to create a world where every dream can become reality. Once again prime examples of moon logic. But we'll talk more about those two later.

Kabuto, or rather, Japanese Smithers, starts resurrecting zombies which need to be sealed, since you can't physically destroy a soul. These zombies, aside from the villain sue and the creator's pet Itachi, barely impact the story in any way, and are just there to stall for time. They're souls of former great Ninja that we've never heard of, and since the support characters are completely worthless, they have to wait for Naruto or maybe a Kage to deal with them while they stand there and stare in awe. He also brings back old villains who get thoroughly humiliated just for the heck of it, an old sensei who had already had a proper farewell with his students so that fight was completely unengaging.

Oh, and by the way, there are 100.000 clones vs 80.000 Ninja. Considering that we only really see either corpses, zombies or characters with names, the armies are literally doing nothing for the story.

Anyway, remember the creator's pet Itachi and the worthless support characters? The latter have been thoroughly ignored for years, and are currently stuck in circles waiting for Naruto's help, afraid of the clones that can imitate them perfectly, so now the dead Itachi, whose character has been a walking oxymoron and a source of several bullshit jutsu, somehow breaks the zombie spell and decides to go and teach Japanese Smithers a lesson by teaming up with his evil brother and using yet another jutsu we've never heard about. So rather than having Naruto's friends do SOMETHING of value, we have to deal with Itachi's plot armor yet again.

Oh, and that evil brother is basically supposed to be Naruto's foil and motivation, but he tends to warp the plot wherever he goes. The best example I can think of is how he summoned a snake, cast a genjutsu on it, went inside it and teleported just to escape an explosion...when he was so hurt he couldn't walk and didn't have any chakra to do any of those things. Anyway, once Itachi employs some talk no jutsu, Sasuke turns sort-of good. Once again, one of Naruto's goals are accomplished in five minutes by someone else, making both him and the support characters look completely ineffectual in the process.

Anyway, the zombie spell is now broken, but the villain sue naturally knows how to cancel the effects, so he's safe. He's currently fighting (and completely dominating) the leaders of the five larger ninja villages. He's revealed to be the source of pretty much every major conflict, knows absolutely everything about things worth knowing about, has access to some secret techniques by stealing a certain type of DNA which is being passed around more than a condom at Woodstock and throws around insults like a spoiled brat. We never know the reason why he's so strong in the first place other than that he was born into a powerful family, like pretty much every douchebag in the series. I could talk about that for a long time too, but my rambling would get even more confusing.

Anyway, he almost kills them all offscreen because hey, he's got to help the masked man who's fighting against Naruto.

Naruto breaks the masked man's mask with one of his strongest attacks, so logically there shouldn't be a face left but hey, whatever. It is revealed that he's Naruto's sensei's old comrade; the first really good moment in the arc. It fits the story, and there's a lot that could be done with this. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen.

Once his mask is broken, his calm persona is more or less shattered and he starts raving about his 13-year-old crush who died some 20 years ago. Then we're forced to deal with flashback after flashback which pretty much guarantees his future face-heel turn. We're also treated to speech after speech of Naruto's ninja way, the power of friendship and the importance of working together (pretty big words from the masses who were convinced by one speech). Over the course of maybe 20 chapters, I believe we have around four of these speeches, and once again I'm not exaggerating.

After speeches, villan sue insults, masked man's monologue about his hurt feelings and the depressing world they live in (which once again take many chapters), they're seemingly defeated. Except the villain sue had more or less planned this all along, becomes even more powerful, defeats the entire army by himself/forces them all to retreat, leaving only characters with name and further proving how unnecessary the armies were (at this point, the clones have also completely disappeared without a word) and the masked man is currently working on his redemption, something that was predicted years ago.

There are many, many more things to talk about that also deserve to be mentioned, but I've been working on this here for a while now.

Oh, but there's one final thing I should add: over the course of these two, three years of "war", I believe one character with a name has died. One. He had a role in the first season, spent years being ignored, died, then he was never mentioned again.

As for the tediousness, that's much easier to explain: it turned into a minor version of Dragon Ball. Instead of using strategies like they used to, it's all about who can create the biggest explosion. Seriously, look at the old Temari vs Shikamaru fight, which is one of the best in the entire series, and those two don't even hit one another, and then compare it to this...putrid, uninteresting mess.
Page 9 of 9 [ 355 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios