Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 1 of 2[ 51 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Good Dubs in AnimeTopic%20Title

Now most people agree that anime with subtitles in Japanese is better than anime with English dubbing. However, most of us who like anime probably first watched it with dubs. I think that there are actually really good dubs out there among the bad ones. There are even certain series that I alternate subs and dubbing from episode to episode when I rent them on DVD.

This topic is about the good dubs out there. Share the ones you know and love. Watching an anime with a great dub might be a better experience because you should be looking more at the art than at words at the bottom of the screen, right? I'm not saying subs are bad, but the anime voice-over industry doesn't deserve all of the bashing and backlash it gets.

So post what you think are good examples of dubbing! I'll post my own later on.
My CR family~ Mother: Naturally Lazy//Father: Phoenix_Apollo//Brothers: JadeRoach and Game Over
Re: Good Dubs in AnimeTopic%20Title

1000% Knight

The Card-Captor Sakura Second Movie. They got VAs that sound exactly like the Japanese ones, and used the same spells and stuff as they did when it was dubbed instead. It was just perfect.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Bad Player wrote:
The Card-Captor Sakura Second Movie. They got VAs that sound exactly like the Japanese ones, and used the same spells and stuff as they did when it was dubbed instead. It was just perfect.

Oh yes! This was going to be one of my examples. I love that movie so much. Now if only they had given that treatment to the first movie and the whole series......

One of the best examples I can think of is Hellsing Ultimate, where quite a few of the English voices (most notably Alucard) are better than the Japanese version. Go Crispin Freeman!

Bleach was pretty good early on with the perfect casting as Johnny Yong Bosch voicing Ichigo, but sometimes I look at recent episodes and sometimes I want to shove my head under a pillow. XD

I thought the first FullMetal Alchemist series had a fantastic dub, but I know there are those who disagree (and disagree with the series as a whole).

I never finished watching Haruhi Suzumiya, but the dubbing was really good in that they matched up to the Japanese voices pretty well. That was one of those where I alternated subbing and dubbing between episodes. XD

It seems Code Geass has great dubbing, but I've only heard a few episodes of it since I actually mostly watched it with subs.

On another note, I watch all of Hayao Miyazaki's movies with dubbing first and so far there hasn't been one I didn't like.
My CR family~ Mother: Naturally Lazy//Father: Phoenix_Apollo//Brothers: JadeRoach and Game Over

A True English Diva-To-Be <3

I liked the Death Note dubs. A lot of people are pretty down on them because they don't sound like the Japanese, but since they're speaking English, why would they? I liked the voices and they were all synced with the characters' mouths moving <3
Click on Janice for graphics ^^

Full Metal Alchemist: I watched it in dub first, it was awesome. The voices matched well. I don't think I was upset with any of them! :)
Code Geass: I liked Code Geass' dub too. I thought the character's voices fit nicely.
Nabari no Ou: I haven't finished the whole series, but, I think that the voices are good so far.
Death Note: A lot of people have problems with the dub, well, I don't. I think they did a fairly good job.
Gundam Wing: With the occasional minor characters dubbed poorly, it was still nicely done.

...And More!

Nyaaaaan~ Moé Powers Go!

Someone I love in the dubbing world would be Cristina Vee, she was Nanoha from...well, Nanoha, and Louise from Zero no Tsukaima.

She also has quite a few dubbed anime songs on Youtube under the username, ValliereVee.

They're really good and I recommend seeing them.
The dancing Sakura petals; only in such grace do we see the beauty of the world.
Lovely wife PandaPrinzessin, charismatic sons Meenyman and Romeo, and talented daughters Reiji and sparkleranger78.

ケーキたん(仮)

Beck Mongolian Chop Squad.

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

I know many people will hate on this, but I also enjoy most of Funimation's dubs. To me, they got some fantastic voice work ranging from stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho to FMA. I loved it and they are probably the dubbed company I look out for the most. I've also enjoyed Pioneer/Geneon/whatever else they were called before they got shut down. Not all dubs I've seen have been good (Gundam Seed), but I'm not one to say all original japanese voices are good either. There are times where I find dubs way more enjoyable to watch than the subs just because the voice acting is better.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Zoinks

I remember liking Trigun's. Especially Vash's voice.
3DS Friend Code: 5129-1407-0950

| -#courtrecords- | -Last.fm- | -Twitter- |

I'ma gonna blow you out of the water.

Definitely Fullmetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop have some of the best voice work I've ever heard.
Fanfiction~Yotube

Thanks go to Floran and TheBaronAndEma for the siggy and avy respectively.
They rock, so go request something from them!

Painting by Denerop

Of the few animes I watched, I must say I didn't like very much the English dubs mainly because they change the names of some things, like Dragon Ball's Genkidama = Spirit Bomb, or Death Note's Shinigami = Death God.
However, the voices are very well chosen and fitting for the characters, and are very passionate.
I also enjoy Latin American dubs, as they keep the Japanese names, and the voices are also great. But, no offence intended here, I totally dislike the Europen Spanish dubs, because they pronounce the names as they are written taken directly from the English version, and it's a complete mess.
Awesome siggy by Auraion

dullahan1 wrote:
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

I know many people will hate on this, but I also enjoy most of Funimation's dubs. To me, they got some fantastic voice work ranging from stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho to FMA. I loved it and they are probably the dubbed company I look out for the most. I've also enjoyed Pioneer/Geneon/whatever else they were called before they got shut down. Not all dubs I've seen have been good (Gundam Seed), but I'm not one to say all original japanese voices are good either. There are times where I find dubs way more enjoyable to watch than the subs just because the voice acting is better.

Pretty much this, I couldn't agree more. I love FUNi's voice actors, and having met some of them at conventions, I can say they're really awesome to their fans as well (for the most part.) I really think they do a good job, and it helps that some like Greg Ayres are fans, just like us.

Most of my examples of good dubs I would have listed have already been named, so I'll just add 2c and say Cowboy Bebop's dub is the only one I've heard of that some people think is actually better than the original. Something about the characters' voices sounding the same/too similar in Japanese; I can't really say for sure, as I've never heard it. But I found it very surprising the first time I heard someone say that.

But honestly? For me, it's mostly about what I hear first. I mean, once I hear a character, whether Japanese or English, that voice pretty much becomes a standard for what I think the voice should sound like, and someone different won't sound quite right. So if I watch dubbed first, I'll prefer it (ex: Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop); and if likewise if I watch it subbed first, I'll prefer the Japanese (ex: Full Moon wo Sagashite, ToraDora!)

^(if the latter is ever dubbed)

That's not to say there aren't/won't be exceptions to this. But for the most part, this is how I feel about it.
Phoenix/Maya Day: Sept. 5th. ♥
Phoenix/Iris Day: September 12th. ♥

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

Blake wrote:
Of the few animes I watched, I must say I didn't like very much the English dubs mainly because they change the names of some things, like Dragon Ball's Genkidama = Spirit Bomb, or Death Note's Shinigami = Death God.
However, the voices are very well chosen and fitting for the characters, and are very passionate.
I also enjoy Latin American dubs, as they keep the Japanese names, and the voices are also great. But, no offence intended here, I totally dislike the Europen Spanish dubs, because they pronounce the names as they are written taken directly from the English version, and it's a complete mess.

Exactly what I was going to post.

Latin American dubs... If the anime is big enough, it'll get an excellent dub. If not, the dub will be terrible.
Probably none of you heard the Latin American dubs for these, but my examples are Neon Genesis Evangelion, Death Note and Dragon Ball/Z/GT. I've seen other Latin American dubbed anime (Bleach, The Twelve Kingdoms, Black Jack, FullMetal Alchemist, Get Backers), and the voice acting is terrible... Most of the time, if the anime's main theme's lyrics are dubbed, too, you can tell that the dub will suck. Exceptions are Dragon Ball/Z/GT.

As to English dubs, I heard only a few. But for the ones I have heard, I can say that the quality is above bad, maybe sometimes even good, but not exceptional.

ケーキたん(仮)

Also, let me say on the record that the first few seasons of Sailor Moon had really good dubbing. The voice actors and actresses all fit their parts well. The only problem was the scripts were terrible. Then when it got revived in Cartoon Network, everything about the dubbing was awful.

I was just watching xxxHolic dubbed and for the most part it's really good. The only voice I don't like is Himawari's and even then it's not that bad. The scripting is great and they explain the parts of the show deeply rooted in Japanese culture fairly easily.

Well, Mokona's voice is annoying but I'm pretty sure Mokona is supposed to be annoying.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Samurai Pizza Cats

TOTALLY unrelated to the original script. And they'd never stop making fun of themselves.

Paraphrasing from memory... Speedy is in a crowd and reading a bulletin on a wall
Speedy: Uh, I can't read this.
Guido: This is a Japanese Cartoon! You're supposed to be able to read Japanese!
Speedy: (Something about Localizers and the Artists being lazy)

For more 'pure' boring dubs. I was fond of Last Exile, and fairly much anything Disney dubbed from Studio Ghibli
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

OTTF?

Yellow Magician wrote:
I remember liking Trigun's. Especially Vash's voice.

I remembered this, too, and insisted on the dub when I forced my fiancé to watch it with me. Johnny Yong Bosch is pretty much perfect as Vash. He pulls off all the weird Vashy noises without sounding weird or forced, and he flips between serious and silly with no problems. He'll always be Vash to me. Wolfwood sounds pretty cool most of the time, too, but everybody else...Oh my god, it's really bad! I honestly couldn't tell you why I thought it was so amazing as a teenager.

More recently, I think Gurren Lagann got an excellent dub. Kamina doesn't sound quite confident enough in the first handful of episodes, but he grows into the role by the time it really matters. What really impressed me was Kittan--a lot of Kittan scenes later in the series felt even more emotional in English than in Japanese, and that hardly ever happens for me. (And obviously Blum as Leeron is love.)

Moving on up!

johnny rainbow wrote:
Also, let me say on the record that the first few seasons of Sailor Moon had really good dubbing. The voice actors and actresses all fit their parts well. The only problem was the scripts were terrible. Then when it got revived in Cartoon Network, everything about the dubbing was awful.

I agree. Too bad they couldn't get it together later to make it better.

Dubs I've liked are FMA, Gundam Wing, Project A-Ko, and Trigun.
Thanks to Blinq for the awesome sig. Click the sig, see my stuff.
Edgeworth/Maya Community. A friends, as lovers, as part of OT3s. All Welcome.
"Yeah, I wouldn't go asking random guys if you can lick their penor." crouton December 2009

Idol of Polar Bears

Many Funimation licensed animes have very good dubbing, especially Yu Yu Hakusho and One Piece (not compared to the absurdly erratic 4Kids dub).

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Big O, Fullmetal Alchemist and Trigun are the main examples I can come up with that have above-average English dubbing.
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot

Is still absolute trash.

FullMetal Alchemist, Code Geass,
Basically most any anime now on recent Adult Swim has good dubbing (Save for Death Note, but I'm just saying that because I don't like it, and I know it's wrong, but it nearly got me in trouble.)

Other good dubs include Black Cat, the Utena movie dub, the second Cardcaptor Sakura movie, Kaleido Star, OURAN, Gundam 00 (from what I've heard), the Slayers dubs (considering that the majority of the cast returned for the Revolution and Evolution-R), and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles (although this was around the time that they were starting to "overuse" Vic Mignogna for lead/major characters).

A few dubs that gradually got better over time was Case Closed (they've gotten better in the recent movies they dubbed), the Revolutionary Girl Utena series dub (although, I never got over Miki's voice), and, once again, Kaleido Star (Ken kinda sounded weird... *Note that Ken's VA mostly plays older people, like Daiki from DN Angel, Yuzuru Suou from Ouran, Lord Death from Soul Eater, and being the replacement for Booker Kudo in Case Closed.)
*trumpet sounds*

Out of the ones I've seen...

Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist(first series...I haven't seen enough of the Brotherhood dub on Adult Swim to make a judgement, but I like what I've heard so far since it's mostly the same VAs)
Trigun
Moribito(great show, might be a little too slow-paced for some, but Cindy Robinson was perfect for Balsa)
Haruhi Suzumiya
Slayers
Death Note(I give the "Shinigami/Death God" thing a pass because they actually used both terms in the dub)

Pretty much anything Funimation dubs is good...Viz, too.

Everything else I've seen is either tolerable, has one or more characters who's voice(s) grate(s) on my nerves, or they changed the title/character names/story(I love the series and all, but the Yoroiden Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors dub hit on all three of those).

OTTF?

Squeaker-Ed wrote:
The Slayers dubs (considering that the majority of the cast returned for the Revolution and Evolution-R)

I'll confess that I pretty much grew up with this dub cast. I like them because they really sound like they're having fun with it--I think they must have, if they all came back to do the new seasons for a different company.

I have a feeling that Crispin Freeman had a lot to do with them all coming back--one of the bonus features on the Slayers: Premium DVD (possibly the only thing that makes it worth owning) was an interview with Freeman where he talks about fighting to get the Zelgadis role, even though a different company was doing the dubbing. He comes across as a total Slayers nerd and I love him for it.

Squeaker-Ed wrote:
...although this was around the time that they were starting to "overuse" Vic Mignogna for lead/major characters.

Any use of Vic Mignogna is overuse. I don't understand his following at all.

Is still absolute trash.

Hula_Maggey wrote:
Squeaker-Ed wrote:
The Slayers dubs (considering that the majority of the cast returned for the Revolution and Evolution-R)

I'll confess that I pretty much grew up with this dub cast. I like them because they really sound like they're having fun with it--I think they must have, if they all came back to do the new seasons for a different company.

Yeah, the cast for Slayers is pretty much the cast majority from the Utena dub. It was originally Central Park Media that had the rights for Slayers, but when CPM was gone, rights for Slayers went to FUNimation, and they (FUNi) chose to bring back the majority of the cast from the earlier dubs (noting that I think it was Xellos's VA that was changed.)

Hula_Maggey wrote:
Squeaker-Ed wrote:
...although this was around the time that they were starting to "overuse" Vic Mignogna for lead/major characters.

Any use of Vic Mignogna is overuse. I don't understand his following at all.

Vic's following was based primarily off his voicing as Edward Elric from FMA, which is the show where the Risembool Rangers came from, but now it's just a big fan-group of people that love his talents from any anime he's had a notable role in to the songs he performs. As a matter of fact, I believe there's always one of his panels at every convention he goes to. :yuusaku:

The thing about his voice-acting nowadays is that I've started to see less of his voice-acting in recent FUNi releases, save for Tamaki in Ouran. And you're not the only one that thinks he's being overused; when FUNi announced the licensing of Axis Powers Hetalia, I saw multiple comments about not putting Vic into the cast.
*trumpet sounds*

OTTF?

Squeaker-Ed wrote:
Yeah, the cast for Slayers is pretty much the cast majority from the Utena dub.

The Utena dub didn't work as well for me. I just don't think Rachael Lillis can be in lead roles, because all I hear when she speaks is RACHAEL LILLIS. Her voice is great, but it's almost too distinctive. It's absolutely perfect for the loud, overconfident Martina/Jessie stuff, but it didn't have the right kind of quiet strength for Utena.

Is still absolute trash.

Hula_Maggey wrote:
Squeaker-Ed wrote:
Yeah, the cast for Slayers is pretty much the cast majority from the Utena dub.

The Utena dub didn't work as well for me. I just don't think Rachael Lillis can be in lead roles, because all I hear when she speaks is RACHAEL LILLIS. Her voice is great, but it's almost too distinctive. It's absolutely perfect for the loud, overconfident Martina/Jessie stuff, but it didn't have the right kind of quiet strength for Utena.

I thought Rachael Lillis did better in the Utena movie dub than in the series dub, though, but that's probably because the director for the Utena movie was there during recording to make sure the cast sounded better than in the series.

(I do think, though, that they miscasted Miki's VA. *facepalm*)
*trumpet sounds*

Squeaker-Ed wrote:
FUNi announced the licensing of Axis Powers Hetalia

Wh-Wh-Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...?!

FFFFFFFFFF *excited* lol, I wonder if they're going to get accents. XD

Anyway, is it me, or are all of the people Vic Mignogna voice blonde men? It's like.... "Hey, this character is blonde and kinda girly!" "Let's get Vic to play him." "Yes! I'll give him a call!" Talk about typecasting...

Is still absolute trash.

fatalfeline wrote:
Squeaker-Ed wrote:

Anyway, is it me, or are all of the people Vic Mignogna voice blonde men? It's like.... "Hey, this character is blonde and kinda girly!" "Let's get Vic to play him." "Yes! I'll give him a call!" Talk about typecasting...

EH??!?! No, wait, let me redo that...
EH??!??!?!?!
You didn't know that?!?! (They announced it back in January during the Roll-out Riot!)

Oh god, I hope they do the accents, but if they f- them up, I'm gonna go PSYCHO-DOLLIE on someone!! :fire:

No, not every character Vic voices is blonde. He did voice Death Scythe in Soul Eater (red-head), and he voiced Dark in DN Angel (purple-head). And then he voiced the blonde-purplestreaked musician Tobias in Case Closed: Captured in Her Eyes. But most of his characters are either a parental figure (Fai, Tamaki, Spirit/Death Scythe), spazzy freaks (Tamaki, Edward), womanizing guys (Spirit/Death Scythe, Tamaki, Dark), or smexy people (...Fai, Tamaki, Spirit/Death Scythe, Edward, Dark)

.............. *prays* Please God don't let him f- up Hetalia.
*trumpet sounds*

I just hope they don't make the accents of the countries in Hetalia overly stereotypical. Because then it will be horribly hilarious.

Is still absolute trash.

fatalfeline wrote:
I just hope they don't make the accents of the countries in Hetalia overly stereotypical. Because then it will be horribly hilarious.

XD Oh lordy...
* :lol: *
*trumpet sounds*

SohCahToa

fatalfeline wrote:
Squeaker-Ed wrote:

whaaat?! Reay?! 8D

Now I'll be itching to see the dub.

Well, anyway. What I think are good english dubs are:

Full Metal Alchemist

xxxHolic Although I didn't really like Mokona's voice very much... :yuusaku:

One Piece (Funi Version) I love it that they took the license to this anime and did a very good job of dubbing it better unlike a certain company that dubbed it before them. :edgeworth:

Death Note

Bleach

I also really liked the Fruits Basket Dub even though it was just 26 episodes long. :3

I also will never forget the older seasons of Pokemon where there was the older voice of Ash and with Misty and Brock. I really thought those were well dubbed. :acro:

Is still absolute trash.

SerenadeOfLove wrote:
fatalfeline wrote:
Squeaker-Ed wrote:

whaaat?! Reay?! 8D

Now I'll be itching to see the dub.

Yes, really.

As a matter of fact, due to last year's Ouran updates I did, I'll be doing them again this year for Hetalia, so here's the *ahem* evidence (since this is a AA site) to show that FUNi really did do the licensing thing.
TAKE THAT!!
*trumpet sounds*

Ace Sidekick!

Yay! I love English dubs! ^o^

Code Geass
Eden of the East
xxxHolic
Angel Beats ...Well I thought the dub was good. >.>
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop (obviously!)
Spice and Wolf
Fullmetal Alchemist
Durarara!
One Piece (Funimation)

aka Ami <3

Well, I recently did the entire run of the English dub of Lucky Star, and... I was impressed. It started off... meh? I mean, the first few scenes are all about the vocals, and it kinda fell flat. Then Ms. Kuroi gains and loses a Southern accent at some point. However, by the end of it, I was wondering if Wendee Lee's less-than-stellar performance as Haruhi was the result of poor acting... or poor directing. I'm now inclined to believe the latter. The rest of the voice acting ranges from impressive (well, for dubbers) to... Patricia played by Patricia Ja Lee, whom I believe to be the weakest link of the production. I don't know if she was told to use that awful voice, but there is ONE line where she does really well, and I had hope! Which was quickly quashed, quelling quality acting for the her stay on the show (alliteration~).

Baccano was introduced to me with the dub, and I've heard their Japanese voices later on. It was, quite frankly, amazing.

Baka & Test was an anime I found on Netflix, and so I didn't really have the option to go Japanese, but I found the voice acting to do rather well. Heck, Hideyoshi's voice actor did a good job of being androgynous- and I would've liked to see whoever it was as Naoto Shirogane in Persona 4, but I don't know which came first.

Sailor Moon's dub voice acting... well, I sort of forgive it because that was what I grew up with. Sailor Moon was my first anime, and I probably wouldn't have even moved on to Dragon Ball Z had I not seen Sailor Moon first.

I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember liking the Tenchi dubs when it was on Toonami.

Ace Sidekick!

I forgot about Lucky Star. :O

I honestly think it's better than the original.

aka Ami <3

Emiko Nabile Gale wrote:
I forgot about Lucky Star. :O

I honestly think it's better than the original.

Comparable, I'd think. Though I do wonder if I don't notice bad acting in Japanese works due to the language barrier, or if they take their voice acting more seriously over there.

Fate Testarossa

Having watched Baccano with subs and dubs, I just say that the dub is really well done.

Fate is made by クロス

aka Ami <3

kwando wrote:
Having watched Baccano with subs and dubs, I just say that the dub is really well done.

Kwando, you are my favorite person for the next five minutes. Go nuts. <3

earthlings on fire

I also loved the Death Note dub, like really loved it. The voice actor who played L, Alessandro Juliani, quickly became one of my favourite actors and it lead to me watching Battlestar Galactica because he was in it.

I could say the other main obvious ones like Cowboy Bebop, Ouran High (this was a really quality dub), etc, but one that really stands out to me is Haibane Renmei. It really reminds me of the Japanese. Once I didn't even realize I was watching the Japanese instead of the dub because they sound so similar. There's nothing grating or out of place.

Any character that J Michael Tatum voices as well.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

I don't watch a lot of anime, but I greatly prefer the Dragonball/Dragonball Z American dubs over the Japanese voice acting. With all due respect, Goku's Japanese voice sounds like a dying cat. I just....can't even watch the Japanese version because of that.
Page 1 of 2 [ 51 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios