Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 1 of 1[ 13 posts ]

Genshiken! An anime about...Otaku?Topic%20Title

Just like the Title says, an anime about otaku. Sal

anime news network wrote:
College freshman and ACG lover Kanji Sasahara settled down his extracurricular activity in Genshiken (The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture) in order to become a true and thorough otaku. Meanwhile, Saki Kasukabe, the girlfriend of another freshman Genshiken member (also a bishounen) Makoto Kohsaka, was dragged into Genshiken's otaku-ish activities reluctantly, yet her resentful attitude towards otakus is changing without her notice.

mother of the year~
Re: Genshiken! An anime about...Otaku?Topic%20Title

Not a morning person.

I <3 Genshiken. I wish I could talk about it more but its been so long since I've seen it. @_@ It's hilarious though. The part where Madarame pretends that he's talking to Saki ala a dating sim and he's all bishounen'd out... I nearly died. He's been my favorite character ever since.

Paddy O'Reily O'Shwartzenburg

As if this isn't said enough, the Genshiken manga is really superior to the anime. Del Rey's publishing it and doing a great job. Kind of slowed down though, since they're nearing the end.

If you liked Genshiken, you might want to check out a really lesser known series called Maniac Road (And it's sequel, Pretty Maniacs). It's short-- MR is 3 vol, and PM is 3. It's a cute little series about an Otaku-themed store in Akihabara. It doesn't focus solely on anime, either--each chapter tends to discuss some new aspect of otakudom: model building, gaming, anime, comiket, etc.

shoehorn with teeth

The oddest thing about me is that I thought Genshiken was kind of okay, nothing really special, but I absolutely loved what I saw of Kujibiki Unbalance.

spr fckn srs peepz

Kenjimurasame wrote:
As if this isn't said enough, the Genshiken manga is really superior to the anime. Del Rey's publishing it and doing a great job. Kind of slowed down though, since they're nearing the end.

Agreed on all aspects. The manga is just awesome.

There was also an american comic that was centered on that, but it was published by an independant years ago and was not collected in a trade, so it's hard to find.
http://vanderlund.blogspot.com - Because the only fantasy worlds I like are those I write myself.

I love otaku-themed anime and manga, because it's so interesting...
Genshiken is great anime, the characters are just so fun... Ohno is so win: "There is no girl who doesn't like homos!"
Kujibiki Unbalance was fun as well. It was so creepy when Komaki (was it her, I'm not sure) told the ghost story, but I don't like the Kujibiki (heart) Balance tv series, the character design is no good and the story is a bit boring.

I hate otaku. Everyone knows that, in Japan its a derogatory term, right? Japanese HATE otaku.

Is there a point to that reply? Americans tend to take the term 'otaku' as a name of endearment, and it is true that it is a derogatory term. Yes, Otaku can be weird, and socially inept. But they're also just people who have found something to latch onto--for the Genshiken crew its anime, and model building and cosplay (for a few of them). In Maniac Road, it's also applied to other things--military games, air soft guns, gaming, model building, etc.

The fact that you're posting on a message board devoted entirely to a game (a niche game at that) means you're an otaku too, on some level.

However this topic isn't about why you hate yourself.

Anyway, I did like what they showed of the original Kujibiki Unbalance--the problem is, KujiAn is supposed to be a satire of what's wrong with the anime industry: Each character in it is some bizarre parody of an anime stereotype. However, KujiAn could probably stand on it's own (under the originator's watch, anyway--a newer KujiAn I saw recently was rather under whelming) if it retained the aspects that made it so funny to begin with, instead of becoming just another high school anime.

Kenjimurasame wrote:

Yeah, the manga was just plain hilarious, I'm planning on buying a couple of volumes.
mother of the year~

One of the things I like the most about the manga is how it balances the characters much better. Saki comes off as a much more sympathetic character in the manga than in the anime, IMO.

The Show

Yeah It's a really good anime/manga to see. AS soon as I bought the 3 dvds I was hooked and bought all the mangas as they came out.

I also loved the Kujibiki Unbalance episodes that came with them. If you guys ever see the 13th Genshiken episode it's aired in the New kujibiki unbalance episodes as an OVA. (They introduce Ogiue)

;-;

I adore the manga. When I go to college (which is this fall, AND I'm already accepted. :D), I will base the anime club off this godly manga.

Ohno is so cute and nerdy. <3

O_o

I love Genshiken..and since the teacher in charge of my anime club left me in charge of getting a name for the nameless anime club ive thought about naming it Genshiken. Should I? XD
SRW has always been and will always be about killing Jewish aliens with your German-named robots.
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios