Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 1 of 1[ 3 posts ]

Koizora - Sad Love StoryTopic%20Title

It's the shoujo manga that got millions of people crying over it!
The manga is based off of a phone-novel written by 'Mika' which are supposedly based off of her real life events. I say supposedly, as some people say that all of the events are just plain made up to get the biggest Tearjerker reaction by readers.
What's the story?

Mika is a high school girl who dreams of love. But she is rather shy, so she mostly uses her phone for conversations outside of family and friends. She gets into a friendly relationship with a 'Hiro' guy over the phone and she thinks she has met her destined prince. But then she learns that the school delinquent Hiro is her Hiro...! The two eventually do get into a relationship and experience many sad events, but still those were the happiest times in Mika's life...

Has anyone here read it? Do you like it? What did you think of it?
I guess people know my opinion on total shoujo mangas... but I'm curious about other people. Did you think the story was good? Or that the events happening were believeable? Did you cry or laugh at any point?

Spoiler: My opinion on Koizora
What a terrible piece of crap! Shitty heroine, shitty hero (ahaha, see, his name is Hiro and it's pronounced almost like hero) and just a string of events made more and more dramatic to make the reader feel bad for Mika!

I didn't even read 90% of the manga cause it pissed me off so much!
I read the first eleven chapters, shortly after her gang rape experience, then gave up. Then I saw the last few chapters were up and read those. I don't know what happened in between, although I can read in between the lines what was going on. And what a load of crap!

Mika got pregnant with Hiro's child. Awww, but Hiro will stay with her.
Mika had a miscarriage. Awww, that is so sa~ad~!
Mika gets pushed away by Hiro. Noooo~
Turns out Hiro was actually just mean cause he's got cancer. Awwww, he cares so much for her, despite - you know - burning her arm with cigarettes, being a total dick to her and basically running off with a huge secret~
Hiro dies. Awwwww~
Mika tries to commit suicide, I think it's the second time. Nooo~
Turns out Mika is pregnant with Hiro's child... again! ...Horray!

My main problem with that last part is cause it's dumb. Okay people, get this: If you have a miscarriage, you do not become infertile or any crap like that! Actually, post-miscarriage it is much easier to get pregnant again! So any doctor that tells me, "After your miscarriage, it may be harder to get pregnant in the future" I will leave the office and go to another one. The only way I'd believe that, is if her uterus or tubes got somehow severely crushed for a really long period of time during or after the miscarriage.
Second!
Mika is an instable little whiner! She wanted to commit suicide after being raped, I think she had such huge mental troubles because her parents were separating when she was, I think, 18 years old...! ...what a tragedy! And when Hiro dies, she wants to commit suicide again. No good friend, family member or even social services would let an emotionally instable person like that become a single mother!
Third!
How old is she at the end, I'm guessing 18 or 20? What is her profession? Does she even have a job? How the hell can she support herself, let alone a child, with her current state?

C-A
Re: Koizora - Sad Love StoryTopic%20Title

derp

Sounds like a total piece of shit :apollo-shock: Well, something to add to the "never-read" list. Seeing "sad love story" and "shoujo" together was already a horrible sign to me.
Re: Koizora - Sad Love StoryTopic%20Title

ObjectionEarthbound wrote:
Sounds like a total piece of shit :apollo-shock: Well, something to add to the "never-read" list. Seeing "sad love story" and "shoujo" together was already a horrible sign to me.

You know, I overall don't mind making sad love stories that are also shoujo.
As long as the sad parts of it are believeable.

Say I Love You has a sad part for main heroine Mei, where Yamato begins to model and while she is happy to see him succeed and that he has fun during the job, she is feeling down because she feels selfish for not wanting him to do the modelling. It's a nice part where we can see how she's torn, but talking makes things better. (Actually that manga has various "sad" parts that I think worked... except for the Megumi thing. I never like the "Girl is being a bitch because she was bullied when she was younger" reason.)

Papillon: Hana to Chou has several sad parts in it. Granted, some of the sad parts come from obligatory twin-sister-mix-up and idiotic stunts, but parts of it are still very believeable. Overall, I don't think the manga even ended on such a happy note, but it ended up in a good way and in a believeable way that made me think, "Parts were sad but they worked."

And in Koizora they just don't. We start off with the cliché of Near Rape Experience where the hero always saves the girl before it happens, but it turns out that he doesn't save her. Mika does get raped by various guys. That's... actually quite gutsy and unexpected. But then we get the Suicide Attempt, then we go to the fear of a sudden, unwanted pregnancy to short happy time of dreaming of a happy future with the baby, bam, we have miscarriage! Sadness! Then we have the boyfriend being a jerk, sadness! Hey, a nice guy who actually treats Mika well, bam, Hiro is still nice but he just has cancer, Sadness! Hiro dies, SADNESS! Suicide attempt, SADNESS!
None of it seems realistic, it just looks like one tragic event stacked on top of the next to make the player somehow feel bad and empathetic towards Mika. One sad thing after another can work, but it's a really delicate thing to get right and if you make one mistake, it all feels forced.

C-A
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios