Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 3 of 3[ 102 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Re: Your All-Time Favorite Movie?Topic%20Title

State Alchemist

Emiko Gale wrote:
Well techically i didn't think TAS was perfect. I thought it was weird how Peter didn't care about protecting his secret identity or how he never ran out of artificial web. And how the professor automatically became evil after becoming a lizard man is beyond me.

Still, I look forward to the sequel.

Yeah, I kinda noticed that.

Hey Peter, pro tip: Don't leave your name on the bottom of your camera, especially if you bring it into an evil lair!

I guess Peter trusted Gwen enough that he revealed his identity to her. But that might be a bad idea if a supervillain, oh say the Green Goblin, could use that knowledge to his advantage and to that effect, hurt Peter.

I tried not to think too hard about the artificial web shooters. At least they look less painful then natural webs coming out of your wrists.

The mutation didn't really make Dr. Connors evil. It was his whole plan from the start to turn everyone into lizard-people. He wanted to make humans more evolved, in a twisted sort of way.

Ace Sidekick!

Gnobo wrote:
Emiko Gale wrote:
Well techically i didn't think TAS was perfect. I thought it was weird how Peter didn't care about protecting his secret identity or how he never ran out of artificial web. And how the professor automatically became evil after becoming a lizard man is beyond me.

Still, I look forward to the sequel.

Yeah, I kinda noticed that.

Hey Peter, pro tip: Don't leave your name on the bottom of your camera, especially if you bring it into an evil lair!

I guess Peter trusted Gwen enough that he revealed his identity to her. But that might be a bad idea if a supervillain, oh say the Green Goblin, could use that knowledge to his advantage and to that effect, hurt Peter.

I tried not to think too hard about the artificial web shooters. At least they look less painful then natural webs coming out of your wrists.

The mutation didn't really make Dr. Connors evil. It was his whole plan from the start to turn everyone into lizard-people. He wanted to make humans more evolved, in a twisted sort of way.

Oh...My bad.

zydrate comes in a little glass vial~

hmmm
Movies:
Angles in America (Kushner) and yes, I sat through all 6 hours of it in one sitting
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Gilliam)
Brazil (Gilliam)
Clockwork Orange (Kubrik)
Repo the Genetic Opera (Bousman, the guy who did the Saw movies)
Black Swan (Aronofsky) huuuuuge guilty pleasure :karma:
Harry Potter. All of 'em, they're basically my childhood.

animated films:
ratatouille (Pixar)
up (Pixar)
The Princess and the Frog (Disney)
the 1940 Fantasia (Disney)
The Rise of the Guardians (Dreamworks)
Princess Mononoke (Ghibli)
Spirited Away (Ghibli)
Whisper of the Heart (Ghibli)

Quote:

Did you also read the books? I keep being told that it's practically impossible to understand the last movie, without having read the book beforehand. Although the movies sure took some turned-out-to-be-important parts out of it that made things more comprehensible.

C-A

It's really hard for me to pin down one film that I absolutely love the most, though it's probably 2001: A Space Odyssey. I say this because I recently saw Gravity last week, and it reminded me why I love space and cinema about it.

I'm also a big fan of Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo. The story, themes, and soundtrack are all amazing. My local theater is actually showing it next Sunday! I can't wait to see it on the big screen. I watched Casablanca over there last month and it was great. I've read online that many have argued over whether Citizen Kane or Casablanca is a better film. I enjoyed Citizen Kane, but I think Casablanca is more accessible and has a better connection to the audience. In terms of historical significance and story, I'm going with Kane. But in terms of overall enjoyability and lasting effect, I'm siding with Casablanca.

[Whip the cream!]

Oh, that's hard! I love a lot of movies by Ingmar Bergman, and a lot of movies by Peter Greenaway. I also have a soft spot for silent movies, especially German expressionism. Otherwise... Perhaps Blood of a poet (Jean Cocteau) or Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick).
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

WaitingforGodot wrote:
Oh, that's hard! I love a lot of movies by Ingmar Bergman, and a lot of movies by Peter Greenaway. I also have a soft spot for silent movies, especially German expressionism. Otherwise... Perhaps Blood of a poet (Jean Cocteau) or Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick).

I saw The Birth of a Nation. It's a 1915 silent film that's THREE HOURS LONG. I have no idea what was wrong with me, but I saw the whole thing. It's about the KKK as the heroes against the black people who are the villains. I'm sure that Fox News would love the film's story. :hotti:

Still, this movie is extremely important because it pioneered tons of revolutionary cinematic and storytelling techniques. It was the first film to have multiple perspectives, sub plots, and epic action scenes. The average movie-goer wasn't thinking about the racist propaganda. They were thrilled out of their minds. D.W. Griffth actually wasn't even a racist. All he wanted to do was excite audiences, and I can at least give him that.

[Whip the cream!]

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
I saw The Birth of a Nation. It's a 1915 silent film that's THREE HOURS LONG. I have no idea what was wrong with me, but I saw the whole thing. It's about the KKK as the heroes against the black people who are the villains. I'm sure that Fox News would love the film's story. :hotti:

Still, this movie is extremely important because it pioneered tons of revolutionary cinematic and storytelling techniques. It was the first film to have multiple perspectives, sub plots, and epic action scenes. The average movie-goer wasn't thinking about the racist propaganda. They were thrilled out of their minds. D.W. Griffth actually wasn't even a racist. All he wanted to do was excite audiences, and I can at least give him that.

Yes, exactly! The story is, naturally, frowned upon today, but it is impressive because of all the different, for the time new, techniques used! The longest silent movie I watched was the serial film Les Vampires. Nothing I could watch in one sitting, since it's seven hours long with all the ten episodes, but I don't think it took me such a long time to go through them.

Quote:
Yes, exactly! The story is, naturally, frowned upon today, but it is impressive because of all the different, for the time new, techniques used! The longest silent movie I watched was the serial film Les Vampires. Nothing I could watch in one sitting, since it's seven hours long with all the ten episodes, but I don't think it took me such a long time to go through them.

The only film serials I've ever seen are the two Batman ones. They're pretty dated, and the first one is even racist towards the Japanese, but they aren't BAD per se. The acting is alright for the most part, and the action scenes were probably impressive for the time. What's disappointing though is that they use none of the classic Batman villains. They're really nothing more than interesting curios for hardcore fans of Batman. There's not that much else that I can really say.

Quote:
The only film serials I've ever seen are the two Batman ones.

I only remember watching the 2nd one I think, with the Penguin, and even that is a pretty dim memory. I don't remember what was going on, how it ended or anything. All I remember, is that I was scared of the Penguin, especially towards the end when somebody bit his hand... or did he do the biting...

C-A

Quote:
I only remember watching the 2nd one I think, with the Penguin, and even that is a pretty dim memory. I don't remember what was going on, how it ended or anything. All I remember, is that I was scared of the Penguin, especially towards the end when somebody bit his hand... or did he do the biting...

C-A

You're confused. Penguin wasn't in any of the serials, he was in the 1992 Tim Burton film Batman Returns. The serials came out in the 1940s.

Batman Returns isn't a BAD film, but I just didn't care for it's dark overtones. Batman 1989 though did it perfectly, paying homage to film noir.

You're confused. Penguin wasn't in any of the serials, he was in the 1992 Tim Burton film Batman Returns. The serials came out in the 1940s.

Batman Returns isn't a BAD film, but I just didn't care for it's dark overtones. Batman 1989 though did it perfectly, paying homage to film noir.

Ah, I probably misunderstood the serials part. Well as I said, I forgot majority of the movie.

C-A

WaitingforGodot wrote:
I also have a soft spot for silent movies, especially German expressionism

weeelllll can i introduce you to my favourite silent film?
Haxan is really weird Danish cult film which i fell in love with. Give it a shot if you're intrested in trying something a little off-kilter. I think it's public domain, but it's under the Criterion collection...

"Requiem for a Dream".

I know many will think I'm exaggerating and I don't even deny it. It's a great movie overall, it has a great, deep message if you watch it properly but the main reason I love it is because I simply feel an emotional attachment to every scene, every character and obviously, the soundtrack. Note: I rarely like drama movies. I'm more an action-Quentin-Tarantino, fantasy girl, but this film is a masterpiece; it's one of the few drama movies which the filming technique is dynamic and doesn't bore the viewer.

[Whip the cream!]

foguwa wrote:
WaitingforGodot wrote:
I also have a soft spot for silent movies, especially German expressionism

weeelllll can i introduce you to my favourite silent film?
Haxan is really weird Danish cult film which i fell in love with. Give it a shot if you're intrested in trying something a little off-kilter. I think it's public domain, but it's under the Criterion collection...

Well, thank you! Actually I have seen it already, and I liked it, but it was really nice of you to recommend it!

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

Did you also read the books? I keep being told that it's practically impossible to understand the last movie, without having read the book beforehand. Although the movies sure took some turned-out-to-be-important parts out of it that made things more comprehensible.

C-A

Yes i did, I read them as they came out. The first HP novel was the first "proper" novel I ever read so it holds a soft spot in my heart. I will admit not all the movies are great, but I think you can get what's going on. However, yes it is a case of "it's all there in the manual", and yes, you might not understand all of what happens unless you read the novels. JKW knew what she was doing and left hints in each book, so to appreciate what happens, I would recommend reading the novels anyway (Even in the main character can be an insufferable jerk at times :edgeworth: )

Harry? Harry can be a jerk at times? If you are referring to Book 5, of course he can be a total dick there. He's a teenager, he's supposed to be angry and conflicted and be a jerk. That's a reason why I like that book so much. Otherwise, he's pretty okay. He's the normal kid in that magical world, even if he's made into the huge Messiah and all that. (Then again, he IS the main character. The main character is ALWAYS the Messiah)

I gave up on the movies once I saw the trailers for the 6th one. Okay, the 5th one already had problems. They were gonna cut out Kreacher entirely, but JK said "He might be important, don't cut him out" and what did we get? A five second shot of him. We never have them handle a pendant, Dobby was cut out from the movies aside from his debut one, making his appearance in the last movie to be utterly dumb and pointless... after all, how can I care if he hasn't been shown for so long? In the books, he was present in the 4th Book and actually was important. Book 5 as well.
And then the trailers for the 6th movie... Dumbledore younger had auburn hair and it was long, it was not short and gray. And Riddle was tall, thin and handsome as a child, he didn't look like that chubby kid that got stuck in that chocolate tube in the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie!

Not to mention that in the 5th movie, they made the Dementors look SO BORING. Remember how they looked in Movie 3? Just hooded figures, scaley webb decaying hands. Like in the book. We didn't know what they actually looked like until the end, which upped the fear we had of them - because we didn't know. Movie 5, they look like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat - just plain boring-ass brown Skeletons.

C-A

The Minecraft Attorney

I do like Back to the Future quite a lot, although I should really watch the third movie to end the trilogy...

Another was Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. The first Star Wars film I ever watched that got me into the series, so I guess it's nostalgic.

Also adding in the Phoenix Wright Movie since it was one of the only movies I actually looked forward to seeing in person. :will:

Golf anyone?

Tim Burton's "9". Nuf said.
Living on a prayer.

Has anyone here seen Seven Samurai? I recently finished watching it again. It's an epic masterpiece that's Kurosawa's finest film and it also ranks as one of the best of all time. I don't care that it's only in Japanese, that it's only a black and white film, and that it has a runtime of three hours and 27 minutes. Everyone should see this film if they have any interest in the art of film-making or high class arthouse cinema. Like a long scroll, it slowly unrolls until one can see the full picture and appreciate the art for what it is. Go see it.

Captain Ascot and the Survey Corps!

Has anyone here seen Seven Samurai? I recently finished watching it again. It's an epic masterpiece that's Kurosawa's finest film and it also ranks as one of the best of all time. I don't care that it's only in Japanese, that it's only a black and white film, and that it has a runtime of three hours and 27 minutes. Everyone should see this film if they have any interest in the art of film-making or high class arthouse cinema. Like a long scroll, it slowly unrolls until one can see the full picture and appreciate the art for what it is. Go see it.

Yeah, bloody love that film. Was glued to the couch when I first put it on, for all those 3+ hours.

Quote:
Yeah, bloody love that film. Was glued to the couch when I first put it on, for all those 3+ hours.

Akira Kurosawa's other films like The Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Rashomon, and Stray Dog are really great too. He's one of my favorite directors.
Page 3 of 3 [ 102 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios