Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios

Page 1 of 1[ 34 posts ]

Naoki Urasawa is a GENIUS! (Monster, Pluto, etc.)Topic%20Title

...experience the joy each day can bring

This anime is.. incredible. I watched through the whole thing about 5 or 6 months ago (it was finished in Japan a couple years ago). This is an anime that REALLY ought to become licensed. Check it out if you're interested, but this person on youtube only has the first few episodes:

Monster episode 1 part 1
Monster episode 1 part 2
Monster episode 1 part 3

Such an intriguing story..! A lot of moral gray areas and what-ifs on the morality of taking and saving human lives. Warning: there are some very adult themes throughout the series if you end up getting into it.

If you can't fine the anime, the manga is on the webpage http://www.onemanga.com/ and is licensed through Viz.
Sig by: Vickinator Drawn by: NaiveWanderer

Last edited by ff3girl on Tue May 27, 2008 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Monster by Naoki Urasawa (my favorite anime!)Topic%20Title

carving wooden attorneys

ohhh I love it! :D Although I read the manga, when I tried watching the anime it felt a little too stiff and the characters speaking Japanese is a little odd to me XD

I always feel sorry for Tenma, his good act made a psychopath came loose...

If you've only watched the first ep, it's not a medical drama, okay?
My fanart thread: Yukawa's Fanarts My deviantart: arashi-yukawa

Please visit! :edgy:

Oh... yeah... definitely NOT a medical drama..! XD Maybe it was kind of pointless for me to post the first episode, now that I think about it. hehe... I've been buying the manga from Viz, and you only really get a hint what the story's going to be about in about the last two pages of the first volume.

Lunge is my favorite character :acro:I don't know why I always end up liking the crazy loners who have mental problems.

stirring

Hey ff3girl, I hope you know that you are a fantastic person and I think I owe it to you to post some Lunge pictures. Er, or at least I would, but out of the 124 pictures (according to my photobucket) I have of Monster fanart (and one official picture, which sadly is my other Lunge picture), 90% of it is Johann. There is an extreme lack of fanartists willing to capture Lunge's excellence on paper.

Spoiler: Lunge needs more art

He is so lovely.

But yes, Monster is perfection. And I don't mean just "I love it so much I am a huge blind fan" perfection. It really is flawless. It does nothing wrong, not a page is wasted. It's thrilling, the characters are thoroughly developed and all interesting, the story is well-planned out, logical, and intricate... but I think it'd be easier to just reiterate: Monster is fantastic. It is fantastic, fantastic, fantastic. It is brilliant! It is amazing! It is poignant! It is ... perfect! Anybody who misses out on Monster misses out on good things.

It is an investment of good time.
If you come across an older post of mine, sowwy

Holy Hell (its funny how your name is also an exclamation I usually wouldn't say, but very well-suits my feelings for those pics you just posted).... ! Thanks for the Lunge pics. Nice to know I'm not alone in the Lunge-love. That one with the cake startled me... because he actually looks adorable!! I would never have guessed that possible of him. haha

Last edited by ff3girl on Mon May 26, 2008 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

I liked 20th century boy's better. :[

But I heard Pluto is better than both so I guess I'll be reading that soon
mother of the year~

seems interesting!

I echo Holy's sentiments exactly.

I motion that the OP should make this a Naoki Urasawa thread in general. All of his stuff is pretty great
mother of the year~
Re: Naoki Urasawa is a GENIUS! (Monster, Pluto, etc.)Topic%20Title

Uhm.. ok! Done. ^_^

Oi.

Lunge is amazing. He was the epitome of character development through those glorious eighteen volumes. I started reading Monster on a total whim, and wow, it took me for quite a ride. I actually stopped reading the first time at around Volume 7, had to restart a year later. XD

20th Century Boys was also amazing; each are engaging in their own rights, what with 20th Century Boys being a lot more character oriented and less all out thrillery than Monster. It also had a cleaner, more planned out storyline, whereas I felt that Monster started flailing around a bit.

As for Pluto, it starts off insanely strong and picks up later on as well, but I'm really not sure what to make of it. It feels so very systematic.

So, how about that Monster movie, eh?

stirring

Riykon wrote:
20th Century Boys was also amazing; each are engaging in their own rights, what with 20th Century Boys being a lot more character oriented and less all out thrillery than Monster. It also had a cleaner, more planned out storyline, whereas I felt that Monster started flailing around a bit.

Completely the opposite, really. Monster was entirely stable throughout. I'm not remotely sure where you're coming from.

As much as I loved 20th Century Boys, there were several times where things felt drawn out, compared to how perfectly paced Monster was.
If you come across an older post of mine, sowwy

Riykon wrote:

I was afraid to even mention this idea, because I wasn't sure if it was one of those pipe dreams I always hear about on the Internet. 0_0 But I googled it a bit and it looks like it could be a REAL movie. A Monster movie would make my YEAR, but I'm still afraid to believe its for sure going to happen.

I know there is no way all of Monster could fit in a movie, so... what parts would they pick? oooooh... It gets me excited thinking about this possibility... but I'm still not completely convinced its gonna happen. :yuusaku:

carving wooden attorneys

ff3girl wrote:
Riykon wrote:

I was afraid to even mention this idea, because I wasn't sure if it was one of those pipe dreams I always hear about on the Internet. 0_0 But I googled it a bit and it looks like it could be a REAL movie. A Monster movie would make my YEAR, but I'm still afraid to believe its for sure going to happen.

I know there is no way all of Monster could fit in a movie, so... what parts would they pick? oooooh... It gets me excited thinking about this possibility... but I'm still not completely convinced its gonna happen. :yuusaku:

Monster movie! yesss! I really hope they do a good movie, with good casting... I won't forgive them if they ruin the movie like Dragonball. ugh.

"As part of the deal, Olson will pen a treatment for a sequel, which he also will write."
source: http://www.movieweb.com/news/63/8463.php

Does that mean we have the chance to get the whole story movie'd?? :jazzedgy:

Well, choco, that article is actually one of the reasons I am doubtful about the movie happening. It's dated Friday, July 8th, 2005. Almost three years ago... ... and I haven't heard anything about it since. T_T

carving wooden attorneys

oh right, I didn't check the date D: but it's already mentioned in wikipedia too... But a few months ago in the wikipedia article it's written that the movie will be released in 2008, but now we can see it's 2009. Slow production?

Its in Wikipedia? Well, that does make it feel more likely! I'm still not allowing myself to completely believe it yet, though. My heart's been broken too many times by the Internet. -_-

seems interesting!

Quote:
Its in Wikipedia? Well, that does make it feel more likely!
Yes. Completely.

zuddy wrote:
Quote:
Its in Wikipedia? Well, that does make it feel more likely!
Yes. Completely.
Am I sensing some sarcasm there? :-P Wiki isn't entirely without merit, now.

no, nothing

the more i read about monster, the more i want to read the actual manga.

hmmmm. i'll order it.

Meep? :<

(Apologies for reviving an old topic, but I was about to start my own thread about Monster when I searched and found that this thread was around already.)

I got into Urasawa's work back in October when I bought the first few volumes on Monster; I read them, fell in love with the story, and rushed off to OneManga to finish it. It's been my favorite anime and manga ever since. The story is incredible: perfect pacing, multi-layered characters, and a dark and complex plot. You can never predict what will happen next, and the story was filled with twists. I loved it to death. :garyuu: (I want to see Johan meet Dahlia or Kristoph. Many lulz would be had.)

I finished Pluto and 20th Century Boys after I finished Monster, and I loved them as well! I liked 20th Century Boys almost as much as I liked Monster for many of the same reasons, but I especially loved how well the characters were intertwined with each other.

Has anyone read Billy Bat, his newest work? I'm only a few chapters in so far, but it looks promising. :will:

(As a final note, I love that Urasawa uses such a realistic style. It's a nice break from the "stereotypical" anime style.)

OTTF?

(Wow, there is some high-level necromancy at work here!)

You already know about my Monster love, so all I'll add for those looking to get into it is this: (Please note that I wouldn't recommend this approach to anything else I can think of.) Monster is one of the rare cases where you don't need to read the manga to get everything the author intended, because the anime is such a ridiculously accurate adaptation. I think one or the other is just fine. They really don't supplement each other in any way.

Actually, I think I'd push newcomers to go the anime route, just for the power of the soundtrack.

I got a few issues into Billy Bat, and sort of forgot about it. I should go get back into it. It definitely was spiraling off into the bizarre when I dropped off.

One thing I really dig about Urasawa's stuff is that how well he explores non-Japanese locations and cultures without ever relying on stereotypes. (His Germany feels like Germany.) It's the kind of manga that I wouldn't be embarrassed to show to others. It's accessible.

Two more games coming up soon

Yes he is. Urasawa possibly writes the best plots not only in manga, but all media taken together, and executes them perfectly. His characters all have complex and believable personalities, even those who only appear for one chapter. He is also the best "film director" in his profession, always choosing the best shot to convey the atmosphere he wants to create. He does everything with methodical precision, yet his stories are always full of emotion.

Oh. You just reminded me I should read Pluto ;(
Creator of Apollo Justice Case 5: Turnabout Substitution: Trailer - Download
Co-creator of New Year's Turnabout, Turnabout Revolution, and At Dawn's Break

Idol of Polar Bears

Monster's a pretty cool g- *axed"

I'm at Volume 10 of the manga though it's difficult for me to decide what specific part (if any) I enjoy about it. Or maybe I can look past the individualities and accept it's greatness as a whole. I have only one teensy little complaint:

Spoiler:
Where is Heckel half the time? He's made appearances in only 3 volumes and we get a ten-year old as a more supportive side character? Heckel can cook, for Christ's sake! And in the state of health Tenma's constantly in, he essentially needs that guy.

Also, Lunge is \m/

Meep? :<

What I love about Urasawa is that you end up sympathizing for even the most minor characters in his works; they just feel like real people. It takes true talent to pull that off. Almost every one of his characters has something that you can directly relate to.

Pluto is excellent! Some of my friends were nervous about reading it because they haven't read Astro Boy (which is what Pluto is a spin-off of), but I haven't read it either and I absolutely adored what Urasawa did with Tezuka's work. It's especially interesting because it takes a long, hard look at how "human" a robot can truly become. That, and it asks a question: what constitutes a "perfect" AI?

Also, I found an awesome fanart on LJ a long time ago and wanted to share it with other fans of 20th Century Boys and Monster. :godot:

Spoiler: How many of the characters can you name?

OTTF?

That's awesome. The artist managed to make Eva look even bitchier!

So it is liscenced. I've seen it playing in English on some TV stations.

But man I've really got to watch this. I only heard about it a few months ago. *sniffle*
My CR family~ Mother: Naturally Lazy//Father: Phoenix_Apollo//Brothers: JadeRoach and Game Over

Do you see the black one...or the white?

Bumping this topic because I really think this mangaka needs more love. In my opinion, he has been one of the best to ever hit the manga market and his suspenseful stories capture such wonderful emotions that I rarely feel from reading anything else and his artwork is phenomenal.

I've caught myself reading through Monster again, can't get enough of it, but I've also found myself reading Happy! and it's a very interesting take to me on how trying your best brings about the most extreme hardships and challenges.

I have been reading his latest work, Billy Bat, and I was curious how others are liking the manga right now. I thought the recent arc was a very interesting take on Lee Harvey Oswald's life about the JFK assassination.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Call me Ishmael.

Monster is a masterpiece. I read the manga this winter, if memory serves, and I enjoyed every single chapter. My favorite characters were Grimmer and Inspector Lunge. I'm currently watching the anime, and all I can say is that it's very faithfully adapted; almost everything is identical to the manga.

I didn't think it could get better than that, but turned out to be wrong. 20th/21st Century Boys might be the best thing I've ever read. I love pretty much the entire cast (especially Kanna and Sadakiyo!), and how everything ties together in the end. It definitely deserves an anime adaptation.

Billy Bat, which I am currently reading, is fascinating. Very surreal, but has a lot of potential. In short, Urasawa is my favorite mangaka together with Nobuyuki Fukumoto (who I made a thread about recently).
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

Funny enough, his first manga I read was 20th Century Boys when it was still out getting fresh new chapters back around 2006 I think. I don't recall ever touching Monster until a couple of years ago. I really loved the former, for like you said, how it brought everything it told together in the end, and though it was a kickstart for me falling in love with his works, I think Monster really pushed it through the roof for me.

Nowadays though, I have trouble deciding which of those works I love more and the fact that he's versatile makes him even more enjoyable. Reading through a simple concept like Happy! and making something so deep out of that concept has really impressed me recently.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

Call me Ishmael.

^ Is Happy! the one about tennis?

Also, I agree, Urasawa is a man of many talents when it comes to writing. Some call him the Alan Moore of manga, and I think that's a pretty good comparison.

I caught up with Billy Bat yesterday. Lee Harvey Oswald is probably my favorite character so far. In a way, he reminds me of Grimmer.

Yeah. I've never been a fan of sports manga, but I have really gotten into this one, probably because the characterization is emphasized more than the sport itself. Heck, she could have been a really good softball player and it wouldn't make a difference.

I agree with you about Oswald, I really like the way they actually turned a real life psycho into such a tragic character. I fell in love with his character instantly and though you know the inevitable is going to happen with the assassination plot, a big part of me was hoping it'd have a different outcome.

I really can't stand how Urasawa is so underrated compared to such shallow shounen stories that tend to be so popular. Granted I get a guilty fix from them, but they don't satisfy as much for me. To be able to create such characters accompanied by a good story takes skill and he has it. Heck, he gets me relating to the minor characters and that's really hard to pull off.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I feel the same

Call me Ishmael.

From what I understand, Urasawa is really popular in Japan while in the west his works are more "cult classic". I really hope Oswald will survive, but like you said, it seems unlikely. What I'll never understand is why people compare Monster to Death Note. That just doesn't make sense.

hmmmmm

I'm a huge fan of Urasawa but I've only read Monster, 20th CB, and Pluto, but they're all incredible and among my favorite comics ever. Grimmer and Kenji are two of my all-time favorite fictional characters.

Call me Ishmael.

bearwave wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Urasawa but I've only read Monster, 20th CB, and Pluto, but they're all incredible and among my favorite comics ever. Grimmer and Kenji are two of my all-time favorite fictional characters.

I like you already.

Also, if you want more Urasawa goodness I strongly suggest giving Billy Bat a try.
Page 1 of 1 [ 34 posts ] 

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Global Studios