Board index » Roleplay » General Roleplay

Page 22 of 24[ 956 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Re: The Future of Law (Feel Free to Join At Any Time)Topic%20Title

Waiting on Godot...

((One of you two wanna RP with me? Or should I just let this RP die a natural death?))
ImageImageImageImage

You’re so small in such a big world...

((Sorry. I was waiting for s_p to post.))

Martha smiled.
"Don't worry about me, Mr. Gant. It won't do any good," she said. If the mafia was after her, even if she could find a good hiding place, she doubted she could ever go back into the courtroom after this case. Martha walked, holding Zeth's hand. She was trudging slightly, nervous about going back into the building. It will be fine, she thought. I have to make it that way. This isn't easy for Mr. Gant, either, but he's still doing his part. The mafia will be all over him like a bad smell once this case is over, and so he'll be in about as much danger as me...But if I took the case back, perhaps that would give him time to get out of harm's way... Then, Zeth asked if she would like to aide him at the stand. Even told her he'd give her the case back if she hadn't been through the being poisoned thing. Martha smiled tightly again, and looked Zeth in the eye to tell him she wanted the case back and she wanted to do it by herself. But she stopped short. Forcing him off the case would probably be the worst thing she could do. If two attorneys were poisoned during the same case, it would look suspicious. The mafia couldn't touch him in there, could they? Would he be shot on sight if he left?
"I'll gladly aide you at the stand," Martha finally replied. Besides, he's doing a much better job than I did, anyway. He could win this case. But Al...He'll die anyway. And so will I, most likely. The mafia has decided to dispose of us, and we can't stay in hiding forever. She pushed those thoughts out of her mind and continued walking.
Avatar drawn by MC_Kitten, edited by Slezak

((I thought I did post, for some reason)).

"Yes, and it'll seem weird that I just happened to see what was going on as it happened." Don explained.
Just then, a security officer walked over to Lucias. "Court is back in session. Let's go." He said.
--------------------
Security officers ran up to Martha and Zeth around the same general time that the other officer talked to Lucias. "You two better hurry," one of the officers said, "The judge ordered everyone back into court. Don't want to be, do you?"

Waiting on Godot...

((Life! But not as we know it ^^ ))

"I'll gladly aide you at the stand," Martha reluctantly responded after MUCH deliberation. Zeth nodded in understanding.

She's been very quiet since the poisoning, He thought, gripping her hand firmly incase she fell. What did that mysterious lawyer say to her when she was at the hospital? We are dealing with a mafia family- I dare say that she had a second run in with them. Narrowing his eyes as he walked into the building again, he realized that they were going to all lengths to literally 'kill' this case, although he didn't have a CLUE why they'd kill off the lawyers, let alone TWO lawyers. The case would have to wrap up. They were best to forge the evidence a little better in their favour. Even if they killed Al...

"You two better hurry, the judge ordered everyone back into court. Don't want to be, do you?" Zeth's eyes flashed towards the messenger alertly, as he didn't spot the time disappear on him.

"Give me a minute!" Zeth halted the messenger, "I just need to check on my client first before I go back into court! I've just been liaising with my new legal aid, I'd just like to be sure that my client is comfortable before I go back into court again."

Turning to Martha, Zeth nodded down the corridor, "Martha, you need to give Al the bravest face you can muster, ok? Show him that you're not scared to represent him no matter what. Even if we can't get him to talk, the least we can do if give him hope that even if they fight us, it wont deter us from fighting back."
ImageImageImageImage

~Lucias~
Yes, it would. And probably rightly so, Lucias thought. He decided he would try to ask more, but then the security guard showed up and said court was back in session.
"Well, alright." He stretched and started walking back to the courtroom.

~Martha~
Okay, Martha. Deep breaths. You know what fate awaits Al, but Zeth is right. You have to be brave for him. Martha looked at Zeth and nodded, standing slightly more erect.
"Is there any way we could have a few seconds to see our client?" She wasn't sure that they would be given any more time.

"You two should have talked to him during recess." One of the guards told Martha. "I'm glad you're alright, Ms. Fey, but that doesn't mean that Mr. Gant over there couldn't have spoken to him for you. The recess was intended for the witness, but you still could have seen what could be done about talking to the defendant."

~Martha~
Martha chewed the inside of her lip, biting back her conflict with his statement. The guard didn't know just how preoccupied she was, and she wouldn't tell him. No need to worry anyone. Furthermore, it wasn't like she thought for a moment that she would be aiding Zeth at the stand as her original plan was to testify. She had just accepted his request to be his aide when the guards showed up.
"I suppose so," she said. What was the point in arguing? It wouldn't change the fact that the judge called everyone back. "I apologize for my irresponsibility."

"Instead of apologizing, you two should hurry into the courtroom. Don't wanna be late, do you? It's bad enough you wasted an opportunity to speak with your client. I'd hate to be there when the judge finds that you guys are late."

With that, the guards left.

Waiting on Godot...

"YOUR irresponsibility?" Zeth scrunched up his face in detest, "This has nothing to do with you Miss Fey," Zeth reminded her, "You may be my legal aid, but it's not your responsibility to make sure I'm in court on time." Giving her a smirk, he gave her hand a few squeezes, "We're going past the defence lobby anyways. I'm sure a 10 second peep into the room wont hurt anybody." Turning back to the guard, Zeth's expression cooled, "you can tell the judge that we're on our way now."

((There's no map layout of the place, so...))
ImageImageImageImage

~Martha~

But I should have called before coming here, Martha thought. She shook her head to clear it. There's no point in feeling guilty now. You need to help Mr. Gant with your case, and bring justice to the mobsters who killed Al's family and are trying to kill you.
"Yeah. Let's go," Martha said, briskly walking toward the defense lobby.

~Lucias~

Lucias was standing at his bench in the courtroom, and noticed the defense wasn't there. He could have lolligagged, too, but he didn't, and now everyone was waiting on him. What could Gant be doing that was so important that he was running late? He had been in the middle of questioning himself, but he dropped everything in order to be there on time. Gant was expected to do the same. He sucked on his lollipop as he waited.

Some people were still filing into the courtroom. Don was at the witness stand, waiting for the case to resume.
----------------
Al was just sitting there, still moping. He let out a depressed sigh.

~Martha~

Martha peeked into the lobby to see Al sitting there. She didn't have much time and she knew it, but she had to say something, didn't she? She opened the door and walked in.
"The trial is about to resume, Mr. Machino," Martha said confidently. She smiled slightly. "Everything will be fine. You'll see."

Waiting on Godot...

Taking a quick glance into the Defendant's lobby as he traversed the hall, Zeth glanced around and spotted Al sitting down with a slight sulk. Martha popped around too, giving him a smile. "The trial is about to resume, Mr. Machino, everything will be fine. You'll see." Relieved that Martha was giving a convincing face, Zeth gave Mr Machino a nod,

"Miss Fey will be my legal assistant for the rest of this case," Zeth advised, "We'll wrap this up for you, so don't worry." Hoping that that was enough to strike a spark of hope into his client, he gave Marth's arm a tug.

"We better go," Zeth nodded to the door. Heading off to the door to the courtroom, he supported Martha in her travel with his hand again, hoping she'd make the same brave face in court.Finally standing at the threshold to the courtroom, Zeth took a moment to regain his composure. This was it.

"Stay strong, Miss Fey," Zeth mentioned, not looking at her, "Don't look at the Don unless you are prepared to show him that you mean business. The more confidence you give him, the cockier he'll become. We need to fight this thoroughly, and legally. If we look like we don't know what we are doing, then Willy Wonka over there will be all over us." Glancing to her finally, he smiled, "And don't worry about the consequences of this court case, ok?" Zeth started, "Bringing justice to Al, and all associated with that genocide is all that matters right now. Nothing else. We've already stepped into the shark's pool." Letting go of her hand, Zeth opened the door to the court room, leading her inside to go to the defense desk.
ImageImageImageImage

~Martha~

"Don't worry about me, Mr. Gant," Martha said. "I'll be fine." She had to be strong. Stronger than she ever had to before. She took a deep breath and walked inside the room. "Thank you," she added as she passed Zeth, walking straight to the defense's bench.

~Lucias~

Lucias raised an eyebrow as Martha took her place at the defense's table. He saw that she seemed to shake a little as she walked, but her demeanor was much more calm than he thought it would be after she was poisoned.
"Are you alright, Miss Fey?" he asked. Was that why the defense was late? Because Zeth was giving Martha her case back?

~Martha~

Martha smiled.
"I'm fine. Thanks for asking," she replied. She looked at Don and nodded in acknowledgement before looking at the judge's bench.

Don glared at Martha, but only for a moment.

The Judge nodded. "So the defense counsel is late because Mr. Gant went to retrieve Ms. Fey?" The Judge asked. "Ms. Fey, are you sure you are ready to handle this case after what you've been through?"

Waiting on Godot...

"Miss Fey is acting as my aid, your honor," Zeth responded, taking his place beside Martha, "I unfortunately have had to take this case on by whim, and have been rather unprepared for alot of the events in the trial." Placing everything neatly back into place again, Zeth continued, "When I heard that Miss Fey was able to return to court, I felt it was my duty to not only to my client to have someone there who had a better grasp on his situation, but also my duty as a Gentleman to help Miss Fey finish what she started." Pushing his glasses back up his nose, Zeth grinned, "After all, justice holds a high constitution. She will be fine. I promise. Now, shall we proceed with the trial?"
ImageImageImageImage

~Martha~

Martha saw Don's glare out of the corner of her eye, but she chose to ignore it as she let Zeth explain. When he was finished, she added, "And I am absolutely sure I can take on the role of the defense's aide for this case."

~Lucias~

So Martha wasn't taking the case back. She was going to help Gant, but not be doing the main defending. Well, that was a bit less careless than just letting her take over the case right away. He saw Don glare at her, and wasn't sure what it meant.

The Judge nodded. "Very well. This court is now back in session." The Judge declared, with a bang from his gavel. "The defense may now question the witness... Again." And this time, no interruptions... I hope.

Waiting on Godot...

"Heh, sure," Zeth grinned, pointing his 'gun' hand at Lucias, and 'shooting him, "He better be ready for me this time my lolly popping friend. I call upon Mr Don Palochini to the witness stand."
ImageImageImageImage

"Yes yes, we've already been through this." Don said unamused. "Let's just get this done and over with." It was obvious that Don didn't want to go through with this.

~Lucias~

"Right. Witness, please state your name and occupation for the court record," Lucias said. Don was reluctant to be there, but then again, so was he. Why should he get any special privileges?

"Don Palochini, restaurant owner." Don said. "We've already been through this. Hasn't it been recorded?" Don asked.

"It never hurts to verify." The Judge replied. "Now let us continue where we left off."

Waiting on Godot...

"Brilliant," Zeth grinned, crossing his arms, "How about we start with the basics then, shall we Palochini? This stuff should all be nice and easy for you. The defence requests a testimony from you about the time of the murder. Where you were, what you were doing, and what you know about the time of the murder. Try to be as detailed as you can be."
ImageImageImageImage

Don sighed. "I really hate saying things without proof to back it up."

"What do you mean by that?" The Judge asked.

"Well how can I prove that I had my gun in possession during the murder when the detective had it in my possession?" Don asked.

"It was odd to find that the detective withheld the identity of the gun's owner until he was pressed by Mr. Gant to do so. What was even more odd was who the owner was. Tell us, how do you think the detective got a hold of your gun?"

"He probably looked through my office, located within the restaurant, and took it from the desk." Don answered.

Interject?

Waiting on Godot...

Slamming his hand on the table, Zeth narrowed his brows, "For a man that hates to say things without proof to back him up, you're sure fast to finger point the blame onto someone else." Adopting a serious face, Zeth leaned back into his chair, crossing his arms, "Now, Mr Palochini, do I understand that you are prepared to give me a testimony on the murder not knowing if there is proof to back you up? Or do you have decisive evidence to back up your claim that your own son tampered with the crime scene?"
ImageImageImageImage

Don sighed an impatient, intolerant sigh. "'Probably', I said 'probably'." Don told Zeth.

"Mr. Gant, do you mind?" The Judge asked. "How are we supposed to obtain a testimony from an uncertain witness if we keep bringing such things up? Besides, if the witness knew about the gun, for a fact, surely he would have been able to provide documentation to prove such a possibility. Mr. Palochini, please describe your experience with law enforcement on the night of the murder."

Don cleared his throat. "Here's what happened...: Restaurant staff rushed into my office, I called the police, they came and did there investigation, which ended with an examination of my office, though I never understood why they needed to do that."

"That's interesting," the Judge said, "does anyone want to examine this little bit of testimony?" He asked.
-------------
In the audience, some shady characters got up and left.

Waiting on Godot...

Noticing the people leaving, Zeth gave Marth a nudge under the table.

"Well, it's amazing that he answers the Judge, but not me," Zeth frowned as he talked to himself, before giving Martha a nudge, pointing at the people leaving, "Any of those people familiar?"

Turning back to Palochini, Zeth straightened out his tie, thinking his words over carefully, "Which members of your restaurant rushed to your office, Mr Palochini? Also, I'd like to know what they said.
ImageImageImageImage

"A chef and some waiters. They told me what happened in the dining area. Frankly, I was quite shocked. Naturally, I called the police after being informed about the matter." Don told Zeth.

Waiting on Godot...

"Some waiters?" Zeth asked curiously, "How many waiters does your little restaurant have anyway? Two? Three? Four? Maybe more?"
ImageImageImageImage

"The better question would be 'how many waiters rushed into the office?' Though what I would like to know is why a chef rushed in too." The Judge commented.

"I can't tell you why; I can't tell you what was going through their heads. All I can tell you is what happened at the time of the murder." Don pointed out.

Waiting on Godot...

Sighing loudly, Zeth narrowed his eyes, "With due respect your honour, I am handling this case fine at the moment. I am trying to keep my questions simple so he can answer them, but now it seems he is only capable of answering one question at a time." Narrowing his eyes at the Don, Zeth leaned forward. "I need specifics on WHO those waiters are, Palochini. You can tell me about the chef too if you want, but frankly I'm not interested in him yet. I want to know about the waiters."

((SP- I donno if the judge is trying to help me, or hinder me, but right now, Zeth has no reason to think anything bad about the cooks. They would've come out straight after the shooting cause of the gun shots and seen the after math. The Waiters however were already there, and one of them was his son. The judges questions are throwing Don off his questioning which is kinda annoying cause I'm having to repeat my questions. Unless of course Don has hooked up the judge on this case. Zeth has a direction from this. Unfortunately he has to have certain facts documented before he can start accusing Don of lying, otherwise the don could say "I didn't say that!" ))
ImageImageImageImage

((Well there's one line of questioning that hasn't been tried yet, but the judge is preoccupied with his own questioning)).

"I'm fairly confident that my waiters refused to testify about the matter, so identifying them would cause them more harm than anything." Don said.

"One of your waiters already testified." The Judge pointed out, as he went through some paperwork. "He said he hid under a table during the shooting. Also, we only have record of the patrons' refusal to testify, and that was recorded by the police."

"So?" Don asked.

Let the Judge explain?

Waiting on Godot...

"It's very simple, Mr Palochini," Zeth replied, "As far as this court is concerned, they haven't refused to testify. In any case, even if they refuse to testify, they don't have name suppression. This court has a right to know who the witnesses are by name especially since it is critical to your alibi."

Chuckling to himself, Zeth saw humor in this trial's irony. So far, the only partially credible witness was his son hiding under the table, and looking at how his brother treats evidence, and how the Father side stepped giving out information, he had to say that the whole family were either as useless as tits on a bull, or they were all hiding something... badly.
ImageImageImageImage

"Well...." Don said, with a seemingly legitimate tone, trying to remember something. "It all happened so fast. The immediate concern at the time was placing the call to the police."

The Judge nodded. "Your testimony thus far is weak, but that circumstance is believable."

Agree?

Waiting on Godot...

Zeth smirked. The Don was pleeing silent on the truth. He was going to make things difficult.

"You said that you remembered that it was your cook, and some waiters." Zeth started, "Obviously your brain registered them as your employees, so you recognized either their voices, or their faces, yet for a small time Italian restaurant where atleast one of your waiters is your own son, you can't remember even who told you about the murder."

Slamming his hand on the table, Zeth lowered his brows firmly, "Your testimony is more than weak, Mr Palochini. It is non existent. Ballif, can you please pass this pen and paper to the witness so he can write down the names of all of his employees working that day so we atleast know who was at the crime scene." Holding out a pad and pen to the bailiff, Zeth huffed. Go ahead and tell me you don't know the names of your employees you fake.

((Do we have a layout of the restaurant including his 'office'?))
ImageImageImageImage

((No, he conveniently left his documentation behind. But nothing has been mentioned yet)).

"What the hell do you mean 'non-existent'?!" Don asked, outraged. "Waiters and chefs are dressed in a manner that is easily recognizable, for the convenience of the customers. A customer wouldn't give his order to a chef, would he?" Don asked. "You clearly know nothing about managing a restaurant. Only my employees in my restaurant wear the uniforms that identify them as my employees. Got it? When people barge in while I'm working, the first thing I notice is their voices, because my eyes are on my paperwork. But due to the urgency of their words, I only had time to recognize them as my employees, by appearance."

Waiting on Godot...

"Ah, we're finally getting somewhere," Zeth smirked, "OK then. I'd like to know where your office is located in the restaurant. Care to draw me a floor plan? Perhaps that'll give us an idea of the layout of this place."
ImageImageImageImage

"Eh..., floor plans...." Don said, as he apparently searched his person for the requested documentation.

"You don't have it, do you?" The Judge asked.

"Eh..... Apparently I don't." Don replied.

The Judge sighed. "You are testifying about the night of the murder, yet you cannot produce documentation to support your testimony?"

"... I figured the detective would've gotten that out of the way during his testimony."

The Judge sighed again. "Surely you would have thought to bring it anyway?"

Don shook his head.

Once again, the Judge sighed. "How long will it take for you to recover the floor plans... And other possibly relevant documents?" The Judge asked.

"24 hours should be plenty of time." Don responded.

The Judge rested his face in his palm. "Any objections?" He asked Lucias and Zeth.

((Wow. You two move fast.))

~Martha~
Martha stared as the shady characters left. What were they up to?
"Any of those people familiar?" Zeth asked. Martha shook her head almost imperceptibly, trying not to interrupt the trial. Then, they talked back and fourth about the time of the murder, and finally...Floor plans. Mr. Palochini forgot the floor plans. And now he was trying to suspend the trial for another day?
"You bet there are objections," Martha said, forcing her voice to be even. If she didn't at least try, then...she had no place to hide. Wait, I'm not the main defense anymore. He is. It's not my call... Martha's hands balled into fists.

~Lucias~
Lucias sighed.
"I apologize for not already having the documentation in my possession," he said. "I think we can get the floor plans sooner than Mr. Palochini says. Is there any way to continue the trial without them? I'll make a couple calls and speed up the process of retrieving them, but it should still take a couple hours."

Waiting on Godot...

"24 hours? What a load of stalling B.S.," Zeth mumbled to himself, "To make it worse, he's happy to blame this all on his son, which isn't progressing the trial. Smirking to himself, he could see playing dumb was something this Don was very good at.

Noticing Marth wanting to say something with her yelling a loud OBJECTION, Zeth glanced to her with a raised brown, "Miss Fey, you may not be the primary lawyer here, but you ARE my legal aid. I have you here so you can fill in the gaps in my trial. If you have a suggestion, then go ahead and tell me it."

((I'll let Martha have this one :) Seriously, if there's suggestions, say it. Zeth doesn't know all the details on this case, and I may not come up with a lead immediately. I can make up a lead myself, but the prosecutor doesn't seem to be saying much, so feel free to make up for that by guiding Zeth in court :) ))
ImageImageImageImage
Page 22 of 24 [ 956 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Board index » Roleplay » General Roleplay