Board index » Roleplay » General Roleplay

Page 8 of 8[ 317 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Re: The Prosecutor's Office (Remade. Applications closed.)Topic%20Title

Insanity at its classiest.

"Ok, ok!" Floyd said, raising his hands in a placating gesture. "Just tell me everything you want me to say, and I'll answer any questions the best that I can. Just don't use that whip on me again," he pleaded, looking nervously at her hands.
My CR family is my beautiful wife Arkillian, and my three daughters Lida_Rose, Franzika Von ehmpke5, angel_of_nature and my son, Meenyman.

Audere est facere.

((You know, there is a rule requiring an OOC thread. Just pointing that out since this post will be a purely OOC one. But anyway, Floyd's sprite seems easy enough, if he looks anything like Gumshoe with a few minor edits. So far, I have Miles and Franziska, as well as half-finished Rose and Sheila sprites, which pretty much makes it even unless Howl's sprite is to be included. If so, then it would be best for me to start working on Floyd's sprite, and pretty much everyone active would have their sprites up. So if anyone's willing to give a go signal, I'm ready.))
I've been away for far too long.
So long, in fact, that all of my signatures now exist behind a paywall.
Bummer.

You’re so small in such a big world...

((Ah. I was wondering about that! Well, I would be loathe to break the rules! So, the OOC thread can be found here. And I'll put the link on the first post as well.))
Avatar drawn by MC_Kitten, edited by Slezak

Floyd nodded. They had given him all the information, and briefed him on what he was to say. He had to admit, he didn't quite like it, but it was his job and he planned on doing it if he was to survive. "I got it," he said.
My CR family is my beautiful wife Arkillian, and my three daughters Lida_Rose, Franzika Von ehmpke5, angel_of_nature and my son, Meenyman.

~Vervollkommnung~

Franziska noticed Floyd's apprehension about the subject the three of them had just finished discussing.

With a curious eyebrow raised, she decided to confront him. "Detective Floyd Ambrose," She kept her weapon taut in front of her torso as she spoke, "I see that you may have qualms about participating in this case." Her words carried an icy, firm tone. "I trust that I need not remind you about the importance of this trial- the reputation of the entire Prosecutors' Office is at stake." Pausing for a moment, Franziska studied Floyd to gauge his reaction. She maintained her glare as she continued. "If you feel you aren't up for the task, we can always assign another detective to testify in your place."
"So when you run out of paint, you Americans use gravy as a substitute. I see."- :no-no:
"Welcome back to reality! We've been waiting for you."- :kyouya-pull:

Floyd shook his head quickly. "N-No, ma'am! I'm completely ok with this, really! I just had a little bit of indigestion," he lied, praying for once that they would believe him. "I know how important this is, but more than that, it's my job. Even if I didn't like it- which I'm not saying I don't- I would do it anyway." He scratched his chin absently. "I am a little nervous about the trial, though," he admitted.

~Vervollkommnung~

Throughout the entirety of Floyd's explanation, Franziska gave him nothing more than a dubious stare. In truth, she didn't believe what he was saying. Indigestion? What a foolishly lame excuse. After deciding not to continue their futile line of conversation, she leaned back in her chair and re-crossed her legs, pondering how to proceed. One thing that had caught her attention was Floyd's last statement:

""I am a little nervous about the trial, though," Floyd said.

She gave him a look of semi-genuine curiosity. "What in the world could cause you to be nervous about this trial? Mr. Howl Ingmune and I have just explained to you all of the aspects in fine detail. We have given you every thing you could possible need to do your part." After taking the stack of papers with the information the three had just reviewed in her hand, she gently tossed it to Floyd's side of the table. "Perhaps you would like us to draw it out for you in crayon as well?"
"So when you run out of paint, you Americans use gravy as a substitute. I see."- :no-no:

Floyd sighed. "No, thank you, ma'am," he said exasperatedly. "But you know what, I don't even want to explain myself, frankly. Everything I say is just spit back in my face anyway. I was nervous in case I screwed up and lost my job. That's why I'm nervous." He looked down at the floor and folded his arms resignedly. He was getting tired of being kicked around, despite his fear of losing his job.

~Vervollkommnung~

Franziska was taken aback by Floyd's comments. It was the first time he had ever even remotely tried to stand up for himself, and it took her a moment to absorb what had happened.

"Well, well." She raised her eyebrows and paused briefly before speaking again. "Someone is certainly on the defensive today." She tilted her head down slightly and peered up at Floyd before leaning forward and swiping back the file she had tossed there before. Floyd obviously wasn't interested in reviewing it again.

If all he's concerned about during the trial is his employment, he won't focus on what he's actually supposed to be doing. He could jeopardize our case. After thinking for a minute more, she decided to put his mind at ease. She spoke up in a stern but nonthreatening tone. "I doubt that this single trial would cause you to lose your job- you are an asset to the police department. As much as I hate to say it, you are one of the few competent detectives they have left." Realizing that her previous statement was quite profound, Franziska added a side note to ensure that he wouldn't let her words go to his head. "Now your salary on the other hand. . . " She chuckled to herself, "Let's just say that its value depends heavily on your performance."

Floyd was rather shocked. "M-Ms. Von Karma! That's the... that's the first compliment you've ever given me! No, actually, that's the first compliment I've ever heard you give anyone!" Even in light of the quip about his salary, she still said he was an asset to the force. He shook it off, though. She wasn't some kind of monster with no emotion, after all, as much as she would have people think that way. So what if she says something nice for a change? "I'll do my best, ma'am. Hopefully good enough so I can afford food..." he muttered.

~Vervollkommnung~

*CRACK*

Franziska let her weapon fly at the base of Floyd's feet, so as to make a threatening noise but not hinder his ability to stand and testify. "Foolishly overconfident fool of a foolish foolhardy group of fools! Don't let it go to your head!" She brandished her whip in front of her as she continued, her tone adopting a hostile quality. She immediately regretted ever mentioning anything. "I only said that so you would stop moping. You are an asset to the police department because all the other detectives are such bumbling idiots!" And image of Dick Gumshoe flashed in her mind, and she fought the urge to try to whip it. "At least you can form a proper sentence!" *CRACK* she let another lash fly, this time coming closer to Floyd's person.

She slowly sat back in her chair and took a deep breath, regaining her composure while still directing an unwavering glare at the detective. "We will expect nothing less than your absolute best, Detective Floyd Ambrose. It is to your benefit to give it to us." Franziska responded to the last comment he made.

She didn't know where she wanted to take the conversation from here: Floyd was now up-to-date with the information he was supposed to present, and Howl and her were certainly well-prepared. Her mind began to wander and she speculated about how well-prepared the defense team would be. Seeing as they don't have much of the information we do, it is clear that we have the upper hand.

Floyd jumped back in surprise. Why did he bother saying anything? He should have taken the compliment and shut up about it. It always happened; why did he have to ruin the moment? He leaned against the back wall and closed his eyes, attempting to catch a little bit of sleep before the trial. It would be horrible if he fell asleep while testifying.

Random bailiff 576 walked up to Franziska, Floyd, and Howl, announcing that it was time for the trial to start and they should gather in the courtroom. How he did it, I'll leave to your imagination.

~*~

Sheila's confidence seem to wane slightly as she walked into the courtroom. She was still smiling that confident smile of hers, but the gravity of the situation seemed to hit her once again as she took her spot at the defense's table.

~Vervollkommnung~

Franziska gave the bailiff a slight nod of acknowledgement and began to pack up her items. This, of course, included her faithful whip, which she took into her hands after grabbing her attaché case. As she turned to head for the door, the sight of a sleeping detective caught her attention. She felt her blood-pressure rise and her eye twitch. Maneuvering her fingers so that she had hold of only the handle of her whip, she threw the thong to her side and. . .

*CRACK*

Franziska wielded her weapon directly above Floyd's head. She snarled at him to wake up. "The trial is about to begin, fool. Look sharp!" *CRACK* Another lash punctuated her sentence, and the distinct "click" of her heels echoed on the linoleum floor as she made her way to the courtroom.

Floyd was startled awake by the usual whipcrack and his eyes shot open immediately. "Ah!" he shouted, feeling his heartbeat going at a mile a minute. Shaking off the intial fear, he followed Franziska down the hallway with some degree of fear that she would turn around and whip him again.

The Zelda Geek

A few minutes passed, and Adam eventually woke up. He looked around the Loby, but he was the only one there. Fearing the worst, he slowly lifted his arm to see what time it was on his watch.

(........ 10: 14?!?! The trial already started!! Gah, I`m such an idiot!!) he thought to himself.

He hastely got up, and ran over into the courtroom. He ignored the looks of doubt and disaprovement people were giving him as he made his way to the Judge`s Bench.

As he sat down, only one thought came to his mind; (Hey, this is pretty conftrable!)

He then picked up the gavel and slamed it.

“C-Court is now in sesion for the trial of Shelia Axiom,” he said. “Are the Defense and Prosecution prepared?”

The Zelda Geek

((Ignore this, and sorry for the double post. Curse my DSi...!))

When Franziska walked into the courtroom, Sheila's confidence wavered. It really would be easiest if she just pleaded guilty, then investigated on her own afterward...
So, tell the judge you aren't ready. Say you'll change your plea.
"The defense..." she began, glancing around the courtroom nervously. She caught a glimpse of Edgeworth (or someone who looked like him) and gulped. I told Rose that I'd do this. And Miles...Miles wants for me to do the same. I can't let them down now!
"The defense..."
Change your plea to "guilty"!
Keep it at "not guilty". Everyone deserves to know the truth!

Sheila slammed her hands on the defense's table.
"The defense is ready, Your Honor!" She assumed the confidence she had before walking in. She was an attorney. This was her domain. She looked to Franziska again and smiled warmly. "I should expect nothing less from the prosecution."

~Vervollkommnung~

As the Judge finally took his seat, Franziska raised an eyebrow in disapproval of his tardiness. She took a quick glance at her phone to check the time- 10:15. His Honor is is fifteen minutes late! How dishonorable! Any amusement she would have gotten from her pun was overshadowed by her sheer annoyance at the Judge. She had to admit, he did look like he was new. He certainly hadn't presided over any of the cases she had prosecuted before.

After Sheila answered for the defense, Franziska shot her a blank stare but quickly turned away. There was no way Franziska was going to allow her own emotions to interfere with anything. Sheila was no different than any other defendant; she had to be convicted. There was no question about it.

Franziska answered for the prosecution, her previous annoyance apparent in the tone of her voice. "Hmph. Of course I am prepared. How foolish of you to ask." She leaned forward on her desk and waved her index finger at the Judge. "I am also ready to give my opening statement." Rotating her head, she looked the Judge in the eye with an icy glare. "That is, Your Honor, if YOU are prepared." Although she was skeptical - based on his previous performance - that His Honor would ever be fully prepared, she waited for his response before continuing.

The Zelda Geek

“Very well, Ms. Axiom,” Adam said to Sheila as she declared herself prepared.

After hearing Franziska`s response, Adam closed his eyes. He was deep in thought for a few seconds. Was he ready?

After a few more seconds of thinking, Adam finally opened his eyes.

“Seeying as how I am a Defense Attorney preciding as a temporary replacement Judge, and I have never judged a case in my life, I can`t say I am, Ms. ........... von Karma,” he finished as he tried to remember her name.

However, when he remembered her name, he remembered that she was that “psycho prosecutor lady with a whip,” or at least that`s what his coworkers called her.

As if by instinct, Adam tightned his grip on the gavel. If she tried to whip him, then he`d try to block it.

~Vervollkommnung~

((Note: Check OOC thread. I edited my last post.))

“. . . I have never judged a case in my life, I can’t say I am, Ms. ........... von Karma,” The Judge stated rather matter-of-factly.

“. . . .” Franziska stared blankly at the Judge for a long moment, saying nothing. “. . . .” What she just heard was utterly ridiculous; it took time to process before she could react.

After a few more seconds, her instincts took over and . . .

*CRACK*

She whipped the top of her desk with as much venom as she could muster. “You FOOL! What do you mean you haven’t judged a case before!?”

*CRACK*

Another lash went flying in the direction of His Honor’s bench, hitting the wooden panel facing the courtroom. “I’ve never heard of a defense attorney acting as a temporary judge!! What sort of foolishly foolish foolishness are you trying to pull over on us!?” The fury in Franziska’s eyes could seen a mile away, and her arms were trembling with adrenaline. Just who was this man, and what was he doing in her courtroom?

"If I may interject," Sheila began calmly. "Your Honor, all you need to do for now is listen. You can do that, right? Just let the trial start and the rest will fall into place for you." She then turned to Franziska. "And, Miss von Karma, he isn't lying. I'm not sure why he is supposed to act as our judge for today, but that has nothing to do with our case." Actually, it probably does, but the trial must continue. It'll be a colossal waste of time for Franziska to keep questioning him. She won't get anywhere by doing so...I'm not entirely sure he knows the truth as to why he was brought here in the first place. She turned back to the judge. "Are you ready to hear the prosecution's opening statement, Your Honor?"

The Zelda Geek

Adam flinched as the whip hit the desk in front of him.

(Holly shoe pankaces with a side order of tar!! No wonder everone calls her that! 'Psycho Prosecutor with a Whip', how fitting!) he thought after the whip nearly hit him. (Calm down, calm down. Just keep your mouth shut, talk veryy little, and if she tries to whip you, hide under the desk!)

After a few momments, Adam heard Sheila talk.

“Hm? O-Oh, yes of course. M-Ms. v-von Karma, y-your opening statement p-p-please....”

The Zelda Geek

((Ignore this....))

~Vervollkommnung~

Franziska glanced back and forth between Sheila and the Judge, not entirely satisfied with the answer to her questions. She turned her attention back to the Judge, and immediately noticed the stuttering in his speech. Franziska had him scared witless, and it was painfully obvious. Realizing this, she regained her composure and decided to let go of her previous line of questioning.

"Hmph. Whatever." She once again leaned forward on her desk, resting her chin on the back of her hand. She looked directly at the Judge. "So long as you do not impede my ability to win this case, I will let you stay." Without waiting for a response, she stood up straight and gathered her papers in front of her. "Now let us begin."

Franziska spoke in a firm, commanding tone. "The defendant, Ms. Sheila Axiom, is on trial for the charges of fabricating evidence and trial misconduct. These charges arose from the allegation that the defendant, as prosecution, forged a time-card in order to convict the defendant, Mr. Dennis Young, from a previous case. Mr. Dennis Young worked at the Benz and Baker Automotive Repair Shop, and was on trial for charges of first degree murder. The defense attorney for that case, Mr. Roger Clyde, was the one who first accused the defendant for forgery. The evidence supporting the prosecution's theory is substantial, and there is no room for doubt."

"To present more of this evidence, I call the Head Detective for this case, Mr. Floyd Ambrose, to the stand." Franziska shifted her glance into the audience, scanning the observers in search of the detective. She waited for him to take the stand.

Floyd sighed quietly and stood up from his seat. He approached the bench and sat down with a tired grunt. The baliff approached him and Floyd repeated the oath after him. "I swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God." The baliff sat down and Floyd cleared his throat. He was ready, but inwardly unwilling to testify.

~Vervollkommnung~

As a very indolent and apathetic detective made his way to the witness stand, Franziska glanced over at the defense's bench. Much to her surprise, Sheila did not seem ill-at-ease at being at her situation. She was just as confident, if not more, than she would have been in any other court proceeding. This was a relief to Franziska: it removed any remaining guilt she had about prosecuting Sheila.

After the detective took his oath, Franziska looked him in the eye for a few seconds, studying him. She then shot her glance down to the papers in front of her and spoke. "Detective Floyd Ambrose. Please describe for the court the details of the forged piece of evidence in question. That is, the fake time-card Ms. Sheila Axiom presented from the Benz and Baker Automotive Repair Shop."

Floyd nodded. "Right. The time card in question was presented during the trial of Dennis Young by the defendant. We have reason to believe, according to the account of an employee at Benz and Baker that the card presented was not made by the B&B Repair Shop or any of its affiliates." He stared at a certain spot on the opposite wall with a rather blank expression, praying the trial would be over soon. He felt very uncomfortable here.

Last edited by CarChaseCityMan on Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Was not made by the B&B Repair Shop", huh? Sheila thought, thinking back to when she presented the time card. This is way too vague. I'm pretty sure there are traps set up in that very short testimony. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to dive into them head-first by pressing for more details. She looked from Floyd to Franziska, then to the judge, waiting for her chance to cross-examine the witness on the stand.

The Zelda Geek

As Adam scratched his head in a bit of boredom, he noticed Sheila looking at him. He immideeatly realiced that Floyd had just testified.

"U-um, yes, very good Mr. Ambrose. Ms. Axiom, you mey begin your Cross-Examination," he said in loud, clear voice. He was surpiced on how well(?) he said it.

Sheila nodded.
"Thank you, Your Honor," she said to Adam before turning to Floyd. "Now, Detective Ambrose, what reason or reasons are there to believe this time-card is not made by Benz and Baker Repair Shop?" Here we go...

Floyd looked over at Franziska and then back to Sheila. "We have a signed and notarized affidavit by a long time employee of B&B named Stu D. Baker. He says in this statement that the card in question was not, upon closer inspection, a legitimate timecard of the establishment or of its partners."

Sheila clenched her fists. If this Stu D. Baker wasn't lying about the legitimacy of the time-card, then she was an object attached to another by inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis. This was just perfect. She opened her mouth to ask the detective what specifically about the time-card gave Mr. Baker the idea that it was forged, then closed it firmly. This guy was probably the next witness. She could ask the question then. For now, though...

"What else can you tell us about this time-card, Detective?" she asked.

prosecuting never looked so good ;)

OCs
Name: Zachariah Von Karma
Job: Public Prosecutor
Appearance: Zachariah (Zac to friends) stands naturally at 6'3, he has a medium build and black hair usually seen in an afro style, He has a tan complexion and dark brown eyes. Usual choice of attire is a royal blue suit with a gold trim along the cuff lines and collar with matching trousers and black shoes.

Bio: The eldest child of the Von Karma family, disowned at the age of 13 by Manfred after questioning the family creed of perfection, Zachariah continued his law studies in the United Kingdom whilst living with a foster family, retaining his name as a way to remind him of his past. Moved to America after graduating law school at the age of 23 and became a prosecuting attorney at 24. In his 5 year career he has been able to win all but one of his cases which was intentionally lost as to ruin a perfect record and not live in the shadow of his father's name.He knows about his younger sister Franzisca as well as Edgeworth but has kept contact to a minimum.

Despite being a member of the Von Karma household Zachariah's personality is quite light hearted and fun-loving as well as polite and easily approachable by others opting to take a peaceful outlook on life, but when confronted in court becomes a formidable opponent, seemingly to transform into a no-nonsense, sharp and calculating prosecutor, almost reminiscent of his father, but he still remains courteous towards his opposition and respects their opinions rather than belittling them unlike Manfred. (the only way you can tell he is related to the Von Karma's, other than his attire, is when his hair gets wet, as it falls back in the same style as his father's
When life gives you lemons, leave them and get a lollipop instead.

CHOO CHOO! ALL ABOARD THE HYPE EXPRESS!

((Ummmm...Zacharia, right now, applications are closed for this RP. Until applications re-open, which won't be until after this trial, I'm afraid I can't accept your charrie. I will bear your bio in mind, though!))

Floyd scratched his chin, looking away from Sheila, at the floor. "Well, the time card was punched irregularly, that is, off centered. The machine that punches the cards always puts it in the same spot, but these were slightly to the left. The affidavit explains it in greater detail," he said. He was really beginning to feel uncomfortable.

Hmmm...Off-center, huh? I'd better make note of this, Sheila thought, jotting a note down in the Court-Record. And that's why they think the time card wasn't legitimate? Hmmm...I think the detective here just gave me an obvious hint as to what I should do next. The affidavit's going to make me look bad, but then, I need evidence if I want to move us forward. The question is: do I need him to append that statement to his testimony first, or can I just ask for the evidence now? I'll try the latter...
"If the affidavit explains things so much better, would you please present it to the judge so he may accept it into evidence?" she asked. "Furthermore, could you tell me if any machines were broken or malfunctioning on that day?"
Page 8 of 8 [ 317 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Board index » Roleplay » General Roleplay