Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 1 of 1[ 2 posts ]

Beginner RPG: Zombies of New YorkTopic%20Title

aka Ami <3

Role playing meets forum game in a very special way. I've constructed this to be especially accessible to first-timers using a simple 1d6 (y'know, six sided die) system that is very simple to understand and only has one page (linked after the setting). This game will start as soon as enough players apply, but any player may join in during a non-combat part of the game.

Spoiler: Setting
Dear Diary... I'm in New York City, 20XX. Last month, the zombie outbreak started. Some of us balked, some of us ran, some of us dug their heels in and fortified. I wish I'd been the latter. The entirety of NYC has been nothing but a ghost town (no pun intended), and the few of us left tend to be hostile or paranoid. There's word that the cities are what were hit the worst. What's left of society has already holed up in settlements with most of the fancy gadgets needed to maintain them.

I know this because one of the only channels left on the radio tells us any trespassers will be shot on sight. The talk show hosts tend to treat us all as if we're dead, infected, or liars trying to find the cure that no one has made yet. Until one is made, it'll be distributed to the military settlements first and "maybe" to survivors on the outside. Very rarely we'll see military scouts. They're to be avoided at all costs- they are very trigger happy and heavily armed. They're only slightly more dangerous than anyone else you'll meet running around these streets.

The most surprising thing about the apocalypse is how readily available electricity still is. I can't get service on my cell, but I can at least charge it to use it as a flashlight. Water and food are scarce, though. The water that comes out of the faucets is brackish and unsafe to drink (though I suppose I could take a questionable bath in it after boiling it). Bottled water is a commodity, as are any filtration systems around- but those still don't last long enough to support a home for long. But even electricity is a two-edged sword. Lights and sounds attract zombies, or worse: robbers.

For now, survival is key. If we survive long enough, maybe we'll outlast the apocalypse as well.

Spoiler: Chapter/Quest Links
None yet.

READ THIS DOCUMENT FIRST
The document this game will be based off of is linked right here in this link!
NOTE: I will be adding two stats, an inventory system, items; and clarifying injuries, combat turns, and zombification! If there comes to a question on general (this document) and specific (what's listed below), specific always trumps general!

Character Generation will be divided into two parts: the RPG stats and the basic RP faire. Both are very simple and I've boiled them both down as much as possible.
NOTE 1: Character death/zombification IS possible. If a character dies in the midst of battle, that player must wait until the battle is over to create a new character.
NOTE 2: Each player is only allowed one character at a time. To change characters, you either have to dump that character (the character strikes off on his/her own) or the character you own dies.

Spoiler: Character Generation: Stats
In addition to the stats provided in the doc, I'll be borrowing stats from the same company's other one-page 1d6 games. All characters start with average stats. In character generation, you may increase any stat to good by lowering another stat to bad. You cannot decrease a stat below the minimum, nor above the maximum. Once you've finished, those stats are set.

They are:
Statistic (Bad) (Average) (Good)
Strength (Weak) (Average) (Strong)
Stamina (Frail) (Average) (Tough)
Smarts (Dumb) (Average) (Smart)
Speed (Slow) (Average) (Fast)
Stealth (Clumsy) (Average) (Sly)
Suave (Brash) (Average) (Cool)

Spoiler: Character Generation: Roleplaying
Now to do the regular RP stuff.

Name:
Backstory:

Spoiler: Turns/Rounds:
Outside of combat, things will be free-form (as this is an RP), and I'll process all actions that require feats taken in the order they were given to me. Otherwise, feel free to talk and act with little consequence. Just remember that too much noise and loitering may attract zombies.

In combat, things will be a little more structured.

A round is the time it takes for each player and NPC to have one turn. The fastest players will be able to enact feats/attacks first in combat situations.

During each player and NPC's turn, they may either do two feats (example: moving, reloading, surveying their surroundings, setting a trap), or one feat and one attack.

Turn order will be determined at the beginning of battle and at the beginning of each round, and generally won't change unless an event, injury, or item changes a character or NPC's speed. All ties are given to the enemy. The only exception is that any character that initiates combat will always go first.

Example 1: Player A, B, and C have Slow, Average, and Slow speeds respectively, and are fighting a single, basic zombie (slow). That means the round order will go A, B, Zombie, and C unless the first three are injure in a way to slow them down.

Example 2: Using the same stats as the first example, C initiates combat. The first round's order will be C, A, B, Zombie, and unless there are any slowing injuries, the rest of the rounds will continue with A, B, Zombie, and C.

Spoiler: INJURIES AND ZOMBIFICATION
IF HIT:
- Body and head hits incur instant death of the character/NPC.
- Limb hits will result in injury (50% zombification chance from zombies)
- A player/NPC with more than two injuries at any given time dies. This doesn't count cured injuries.

INJURIES: (curable by first aid kits and resting)
Left Arm: Difficulty for all strength/stealth checks are more difficult by one difficulty. (If it was easy, it's average, if it's average, it's hard)
Right Arm: -1 Strength and Stealth
Left Leg: Difficulty for all speed/stealth checks are more difficult by one difficult. (If it was easy, it's average, if it's average, it's hard)
Right Leg: -1 Speed and Stealth
Amputated Right/Left Arm/Leg: Permanent, uncurable injury. Any attack that targets the affected limb misses. Lower stamina by one (from tough to average or from average to frail). Any amputated limb cannot have further injury of the amputated limb (i.e. if the left leg is amputated, that character cannot have their left leg injured).

ZOMBIFICATION:
If the process of zombification has started, a player may opt to remove one of their limbs. If this is done, that player's limb is amputated (see above for effects). Frail characters cannot attempt to remove limbs, and will die at the end of the round. At the end of the next round, they will become a zombie.

Spoiler: Inventory Rules
All players start with no items. All players will have an inventory space of 20 lbs. However, going over 10 lbs. will incur a penalty. To break it down like this:

Zero to Ten Pounds: No effect on the player.
Eleven to Fifteen Pounds: All non-smarts/stamina/suave checks are more difficult by one difficulty. (If it was easy, it's average; if it's average, it's hard)
Fifteen to Twenty Pounds: Speed and Stealth are temporarily lowered by one until weight goes under fifteen pounds.

Spoiler: Possible Items
NOTE: Any new item will show its statistics and effects upon being revealed.
NOTE 2: All players have cell phones, but no cell phone has any apps beyond flashlights, a clock/calender, cameras, and a notepad for taking notes. There is no reception on any cell, so that means that calling or downloading any apps are out of the question. Cell phones weigh zero pounds.

Baseball Bat:
Weight: 5
Uses: 3
Ability: All combat rolls against zombies gain a +1 chance of success (if you roll a 5 and you need a success of 4, you win the roll as opposed to missing).

Metal Pipe:
Weight: 8
Uses: 3
Ability: You may target limbs freely with each use of this item. (No targeting rolls needed!)

First Aid Kit:
Weight: 4
Uses: 2
Ability: Cures an injury. Requires being near the target if used on someone else.

Revolver:
Weight: 3
Uses: Infinite (requires 1 .44 round per use!)
Barrel capacity: 6 (otherwise, a feat is necessary to reload mid-battle)
Ability: Allows user to attack from a distance. WARNING: Item is very loud and attracts attention when used.

.44 round:
Weight: 1
Uses: 1
Ability: Allows one use of the revolver.

Food Stuffs:
Weight: 3
Ability: Prevents hunger. One feeds the entire party.

Bottle of Potable Water:
Weight: 2
Ability: Prevents thirst.

Spoiler: Current Characters
Each character will be linked to the post they are apped in. Should a character die, a link will be made to the announcement of that character's death.

Re: Beginner RPG: Zombies of New YorkTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Strength: Weak
Stamina: Average
Speed: Fast
Smarts: Average
Stealth: Sly
Suave: Brash

Name: Jack Monaco
Spoiler: Appearance
Backstory: Originally born in Phoenix, Arizona. Jack Monaco a college graduate, came to New York to pursue a career in journalism eventually getting to write a column about current affairs in a small not very well known newspaper. Looking after number one is his first priority meaning he can be quite selfish at times and reluctant to help others. This combined with his sharp tongue and his cynical attitude towards life often means that he has difficulty making friends and keeping them. This makes it fortunate that Jack is highly independent, resourceful and quick witted. He also adores Steampunk! The spirit of adventure and invention communicated through that style of art speaks to the industrial passion within him. Unfortunately the Apocalypse broke out while dressed up at a local club's 'steampunk' night leading to his unusual choice of clothes that circumstances have led him to be stuck in.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus