Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 26 of 48[ 1897 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 48  Next

Re: NG7: The Nullification Game (Timeline C2)Topic%20Title

Adriana took a blanket from one of the hospital cabinets and draped it over Violet's shoulders. "It's okay-- you didn't do anything wrong. You were helping." she said in what she hoped was comforting tones. She tried to usher Violet and Bradley away from Albert's grievous form, but herding two children were quite beyond her capability-- she soon gave up.

"If it's something we can use, hopefully Mr. Hodges understands." Adriana shrugged. "I vote we open it-- we need to know what we're working with."

"We did find a key we sent to the hospital group before we could try it there, but it seems like all the keys are meant to be used outside the room they were found in." Emma replied, ignoring Midge's speculation.

"We didn't get to examine the box much. It doesn't look like it might have any mechanisms for a trap, though." She said, carefully picking up the box and moving it around in her hands. "I would be fine with opening when we're in need of clues, but I think it can wait while we still have other things to check out."
Signature loading, please wait...

"Come on, let's just crack it open!" Midge pleads in a way that would be much cuter on a younger woman.

"Well, I guess we can check the keyholes first, but I don't see what the hold up is. I don't have any reservations about using the scraps Null throws at us."

hi

"You don't need to baby me." Violet grumbled at Adriana, though she tightened the blanket around her shoulders. "A-Anyway, I think we should open the box. It wouldn't be here if it wasn't important, right?"

Happy Maria

“Ow…” Albert murmurs silently. It’s all he can say in his current disposition.

At the mention of Tyrell Hodges, his eyes widen slightly. He looks towards the group questioningly, but can’t get anything out.

Gettin' Old!

Bradley looks at the box "I wonder how it got here...I've never heard of that man before." He mused looking over the box on the table "There was a kinda laser cutter in this room earlier...but Miss Midge couldn't get it working. Maybe it could melt the lock?"
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Adriana's mouth pursed in thought. "Well... I suppose it's possible that the laser cutter might break the lock, but what if what's inside is fragile, or meltable? How can we ensure that we won't wreck whatever's inside?"

[The box isn’t locked. It’s basically a shoebox]

Shy guy

"The box might be Pandora's Box. Open it and we can never undo what we might unleash upon us," Ghost said quietly, still fussing about Albert. "You never know what Null might have intended with it."

"That's assuming it was ever in Null's control." said Adriana. "All we know is that what was in the box was originally Hodges'-- it says to 'return' it to him after all. Given the lack of security on the box, it's unlikely, but it is possible that Hodges and only Hodges knows what's inside that box..."

She frowned. "... Which means that whatever is in this box is likely unable to help us out at all. Unless he's somehow mixed up in all this, too. It's... weird that one of his seemingly personal possessions ends up in a place like this, with us. You think that means anything?"

1000% Knight

"This whole place is fucking weird," Teddy growled. "If Null was able to kidnap nine people without breaking a sweat, picking up a few knick-knacks along the way might not have been too hard."
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

"Who even marks stuff like that? How did he know his package would get lost?" Midge says, somewhat irritably.

"Maybe he sent it somewhere as an experiment. That means all we're doing by cracking it open is wasting some of his money."

ASCEND

"Forgive me for intruding, but someone brought up the Butterfly Effect, right? Well...that reminds me of a story I heard in my youth..."

Helios casually leaned against the table with Tyrell's box on it and solemnly began to explain. "You see, my great grandfather exited the Empire State Building one foggy morning, long before I was born. At the same time, two workers were carrying a desk lamp up several flights of stairs when they accidentally dropped it out of a window. It fell many stories and, by sheer happenstance, hit the old man on the head, killing him instantly. As for the workers, they both lost their jobs, though I don't know what happened to them after that."

"Now, let's suppose a time traveler went back to that day and pushed my great grandfather out of the way of that lamp." As Helios looked on thoughtfully, the table slowly slid closer to Albert's bed without anyone noticing. "It follows that my great grandfather would have survived. What happens next? Well, one can't be certain. Perhaps contributed greatly to finding a solution to world hunger, or perhaps he would have somehow triggered nuclear war... We can't be certain. However, we can know what wouldn't have happened. As it turns out, my grandfather met my grandmother at a bar on the way back from the funeral. So, because of that time traveler's actions, I may not have been born!"

"That's the nature of the butterfly effect. One event can lead to many unpredictable consequences! One change in the past can cause a completely new and unrecognizable future!"

"Which I guess means we should be careful when we make a decision about this box..." Helios added with a shrug.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Happy Maria

"E-eh..?" Albert, noticing the box come closer towards him on the table, slowly reaches towards it and picks it up, bringing it back to his hospital bed. He looks at it curiously before summoning all his strength to open it.

Inside is...

A small headset. It looks considerably less complex than the one Albert recently threw off.

Happy Maria

Albert looks at it, clearly shocked. "N-no...I..." He throws them back on the table suddenly, looking paler than he did previously.

ASCEND

Hearing Albert's movements, Helios whirled around and reached out desperately, attempting to stop him.

However, upon seeing what was actually inside, he halted in his tracks. "Oh, no worries, guys! It's just some weird techno-doodad. Probably just some weird invention. I doubt it's anything to worry about."

"...Unless you know something about it, Mr. Blaketon?"
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

1000% Knight

“Hey, what’re you—?!”

Teddy braces for the worst as the lid is lifted, but... nothing happens.

“Huh? A headset?” Teddy peers in the box. “Think this one will actually work?”

Tyrell Hodges.

Helios. Emma. Albert.

In some way, they all seemed to know him. Was it a coincidence or...?

Maybe. SkyTech wasn't just some small company. It was already a mega-corporation, and had no pace of slowing down. It wouldn't have been unusual to have known him, yet he seemed to just be a piece of the puzzle.

Teddy grabs the headset. Upon closer inspection, it has no microphone. No real input. It's just designed to look like a headset. Pressing a button caused several small and sharp needles to protrude outwards.

Happy Maria

Albert pales further, seeing those needles. He lies back down, closing his eyes and trying to get his mind away from that headset.

Adriana raised her hand and looked as if she were about to swat at Albert. Looking at the sharp needles protrude from the headset, though, her anger subsided into surprise and disgust. "That... looks like the kind of mystery I want nothing to do with... Why would anyone build something so... medieval?"

Shy guy

"Eep! Wh-wh-what is that?" Ghost cried, retreating from the headset. "Some kind of torture device?"

Happy Maria

"D-don't...touch...", Albert slowly murmurs to Ghost, waving his arms to indicate that they should stay away from it.

Teddy grunted. "You know, Al mentioned SkyTech earlier."

"He did?" Ghost asked.

"Yeah. We found a magazine with a picture of him on it, and then he went into some long lecture. It was like..."

Spoiler:
[Last paragraph is actually new]

Albert suddenly straightened up and went into a rather detailed lecture without missing a beat.

“I should, first of all, clarify one crucial point to the rest of you first. I’m a college student studying in the field of neuroscience- the study of the human brain- perhaps the most complex structure of the human body- no, the most complex structure in the universe. It has evolved quite significantly since the age of the Neanderthals. But we humans are different from other organisms, in our desire to learn and adapt. That's not to say other organisms don't have this instinct, or even that all humans do.” He fave a light chuckle, inviting the other two to do so as well.

“Which brings us to the question...can we ever understand the human mind? What even is human consciousness? There are divisions of science and medicine that seem to believe we can, yet we are still a long ways away from making any significant milestones in those studies. Why do humans get depressed and desire suicide when it goes against our base instinct to survive? Do vices like gambling, drug use, and criminal mischief only exist because our society has pushed us away from baser instincts? Or is there something deeper?” He gave the two a rather questioning look, especially Teddy.

“Well, now that’s exactly what I attempted to do. I made a prototype of a device. It was a rather complex device which could be attached to a person with several sections on their head. The device could read brain wave patterns…but that’s not all. It could convert thought processes…to data.”

“Now, first off, I had the subject- who was unharmed, I assure you both- perform a rather simple action- to simply eat their favourite cereals. The device converted that simple action alone into…ten million lines of code. Then I had them read a passage from A Search of Lost Time. It got converted into one hundred million lines of code. Then I pointed a fake gun at the subject- except they didn’t know it wasn’t fake. Ten billion lines of code. This data is unique to every person, and will look immeasurably different for different subjects performing the same action. This is also only the conscious level. I can't even begin to imagine how much more complex the data gets if you analyze the subconscious level.” He shook his head in a rather thoughtful manner.

“But anyway, you might be wondering- “How could this data get used if we can’t possibly ever hope to decipher it?” Well, first off, this data can technically be deciphered…just not in this lifetime. But even then, this data has a lot of theoretical uses. Let me give you an example. Imagine getting a terrible concussion that leaves you with a part of your brain damaged. Alternatively, imagine a patient developing Alzheimer's. If this theoretical patient simply had a copy of their consciousness, memories...their entire mind. All they'd need to do is upload it back in their head. And then they’d be back to normal.”

His eyes lit up, taking great excitement in reliving his particular part. “I’m sure you both can see how powerful this technology can be now. “One particular member in the audience that evening asked me whether the device could be used for learning skills. For example, if you wished to be well versed in karate or some other forms of martial arts, what if you could simply download the memories of a black belt? But, unfortunately, I believe we'd have to understand the data first. We are several generations away from that. I do not know what could happen from downloading the data of another person, but most of my research indicates the results could be...disastrous.”

He paused, taking a deep breath and then snaps his fingers. “And that’s about the entire lecture! Hopefully you managed to actually understand a little bit of that, heh heh.”

The others could see that reciting all this had resulted in a huge change in Albert’s demeanour. His stutter had vanished and he had confidently spoken on the subject with no sign of nervousness. He almost appeared… competent that way.

“Anyway, after the lecture, a representative from SkyTech came to me and asked if I was interested in selling the rights to the device. If you don’t know what that means”, he says, looking at Violet, “I would still be credited with the making of the device but further development of it would continue under SkyTech instead. And I agreed to sell it. Got 50 grand in return. I don’t know what happened with that device afterwards- mainly because SkyTech’s now responsible for everything related to it- but that’s the gist of the whole thing. And it’s most likely what that magazine over there’s talking about as well.”

"Representative from SkyTech...?" Emma looked at Albert.

He weakly looked away. "It was Tyrell...that device is just a modification of my idea. All it can do...is upload and download information from your brain. Memories, personality, consciousness..." Albert grit his teeth in pain. "I have no idea whether or not that's a prototype or not...but based on the components that's what it'll be able to do best case scenario."

Happy Maria

"D-did...you even understand any of that...?" Albert weakly glances at Teddy, almost surprised he managed to recollect that lecture. "I-I didn't think you would even register a single word of it into your t-thick skull, Ted."

hi

"That thing's still totally freaky though." Violet shivered, looking at the headset. "All those needles just stick into your brain and pull out memories or something? That's just disturbing."

Midge chuckles, "oh, that's screwed up. Null probably wants us to turn ourselves into data so that our personalities and memories can be easily be sculpted and molded into something demented."

"As far as I'm concerned, that thing is a fate worse than death," she adds with derision.

Happy Maria

"D-dammit...is that what they used it for...?" Albert sighs. "I..only wished for it to be used for enhancement of the mind. Never...for war, or torture, or anything like that. ...Why?", he moans softly, the others hardly being able to hear him.

"Well, if you don't want something to be used for war, don't let a billionaire touch it," Midge whispers to nobody in particular.

"Now, I think we're done here. If Null wanted to just steal our brains he would have done it already, but there's no way we're helping ourselves by using this, so I say we leave it alone and hop to finding vaccines."

Happy Maria

"There was...something weird written in our room...none of us could decipher it", Albert recalls. "Something like... "THE LOYALIST"? Maybe...it refers to someone here?"

The Loyalist...

The Achiever...

For some reason, these titles didn’t feel arbitrary.

Shy guy

"Upload... and download... memories..." Ghost muttered, staring at the headset. "Could that... have anything to do with me?" they asked softly.

Happy Maria

"Why...you're an amnesiac? ...But your memories would remain even after they're taken, I think", Albert points out.

1000% Knight

“Heh, I’m just full of surprises,” Teddy chuckled. “But still... Maybe this isn’t one of those devices, but a trap? I mean, the box says ‘do not open’ and has the name of this giant CEO, but otherwise has no safety mechanisms. So maybe, yknow, someone finds it, thinks they got super secret SkyTech info, puts on the headset and tries to turn it on and... yeah. ...Doesn’t seem worth it to see if this thing, uh, ‘works’ or not.”

"Well the only bad thing, Ghost, is if you've got protocols in your head now to attack the rest of us. Otherwise, who cares if your personality has been planted in your head? And you don't have memories to be faked, so that's no problem. The other issue is if Null can hijack your body using some keystroke," Midge says matter-of-factly.

"Anyway, the loyalists here are Adriana and Helios, so maybe everyone fits under some role or something."

Shy guy

"Um, actually I was wondering if my memories had been taken by that device..." Ghost said meekly. "I'm not worried about not being me, I know I'm me. I'm just missing things is all."

Happy Maria

"That's what I'm saying. The device can download memories, but you'll be the same after it's used. The prototype did, anyway", Albert states.

Shy guy

"I-is that so?" Ghost said, wringing their hands. "Well, I suppose you'd know best." They didn't seem very happy with the answer.

"Why are you so sure you were somebody to begin with? It's very possible to make a synthetic body, you know," Midge posits ominously, "and like Albert said, it can't erase memories."

"Let's stop bumming ourselves out though and go take a look at those keyholes."

Happy Maria

"Indeed it is, Haz", Albert remarks tiredly. "You probably lost your memory through some other...traumatic incident. Like a car crash or something, I dunno."
Page 26 of 48 [ 1897 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 48  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus