Re: After•LifeTopic%20Title

Shy guy

"You a think a fat, unathletic man could hold on for over 10 minutes?"

"As for Mr Pink, there's multiple problems there too."
"You can't just say he did it without completing the story!"
"How'd he get up there, how'd he hide, how'd he get back down again?"

Happy Maria

Pat nodded. "Actually, now that we know that Bux died from 17:40 onwards... is it possible he coulda died at 18:00? Apparently Bux was holdin' his phone when he fell, which, why else would ya do that unless somebody messaged ya? And from what we know, only Mr. Pink recently messaged him... at exactly 18:00, no less. Maybe he was caught off guard, checked his phone and got pushed off in the middle of the act. The thing is though, Mr. Pink's message mentions there somethin' being odd in the carpark, right? But Bux wouldn't have fallen down there yet... the only reason I can see this workin' out is if Mr. Pink is the killer and wrote it out both to distract Bux so he could push him off, and to trick us into thinkin' Bux was already dead by then."

"As for how he got there, well... maybe he got there before even Bux did, hence why nobody saw him there first. Bobby didn't mention 'im, which is strange, but maybe he got too involved in his fight or whatever it was that got the blood on the pin to take note of ol' Pink- which is understandable if you ask me. He isn't the most memorable guy in the world... as for gettin' down, well, I've already mentioned my helicopter theory and rope theory, so that about completes everything I've got."

Shy guy

"Building's far too tall to just abseil down."
"And if your best reasoning is 'Bobby just didn't see another person on a bare rooftop', well..."
"Let's just say the helicopter idea's sounding more and more likely!"

Happy Maria

"Could Bux have fallen off the buildin' by accident? Seems unlikely but it seems like our other options are pretty improbable 's well", Pat admitted. "Bux was waitin' for Mr. Pink to show up, checkin' his phone impatiently while standin' at the edge... then, boom! He trips and falls down! A tragic accident! How's that?"

Shy guy

"I guess there's nothing saying that didn't happen..."
"Be a pretty lame conclusion, though."

"I AM SAYING THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN."
"YOU MUST REMEMBER THAT THIS WAS AN UNSCHEDULED DEATH."
"IT MUST HAVE BEEN ORCHESTRATED."
"IT CAN ONLY HAVE BEEN MURDER."

Happy Maria

"Alright, so let's go over the facts. We know this was a murder, we know that Bux was killed after Bobby left, but we also know there's no other way for the killer to have got back down other than the stairs to the hall", Pat summarised. "Yet Posey says she saw nobody else come down after Bobby. The only explanation I can think of is that she was lyin'. Either she covered for the killer or she took her eyes off the door after Bobby left. Otherwise, there ain't no way (which doesn't involve helicopters) for a potential killer to go back down."

Shy guy

"Well I never!"
"I'd do no such thing!"

"I dunno, this situation's pretty wack."
"It looks like it's impossible for the killer to have been on the roof to push Bux."
"Which just points to suicide? But skull-guy said it was definitely murder."
"Good thing it ain't my job to sort this out! I'll just keep snacking, don't mind me."

"If the killer couldn't have pushed Bux off the roof, obviously that means they PULLED him off!" Mai snapped her fingers dramatically. "And of course, the only one who could have done that is the detective!

"When Bobby went up to the roof, he knocked Bux out and left him on the edge, then tied something like a rope to his body and dropped it off the side of the building. Then he went back down to the carpark and simply pulled the victim! He probably knew he was being watched, so he killed the victim this way to give himself an alibi since the autopsy would show the time of death.

"As for what he used to pull Bux down... uh... I haven't figured that part out yet," she admitted sheepishly. "But the rest of it checks out, right?"

Shy guy

"Aw man, I love it!"
"It'd have to be a pretty long rope, though..."
"Like really, really long."
"The Ritché's a very tall building. Taller than most around it."
"Only Truncheon Tower is higher than it."

Happy Maria

"Truncheon Tower... y'know, it'd be a great explanation if it turned out Bux fell down from there instead of the hotel", Pat muttered, looking a bit dismayed. "There's nothin' stoppin' the killer from pushin' him off there, at least. Then all they'd have to do is bring him in from there to the hotel through a car and leave 'im there. That'd line up with how Mr. Pink coulda pulled it off, 'specially without ever havin' t'visit the hotel rooftop. Problem is though, that Bux was seen in the hotel 'round 17:20 or so, right? Other than usin' a helicopter, it wouldn't be easy for him to travel to the top of Truncheon Tower like that- and moreso begs the question why he did it in the first place."

"I think the alternative is that the killer didn't need t'be on the rooftop when Bux was pushed down, though again I dunno how they'd accomplish that. These are the only things that come to mind for me, though..."

Shy guy

"You're saying the killer murdered Bux from afar?"

"Sounds more likely than your other theory at least."
"Where Bux needs to go to the HQ, fall without leaving a blood splatter, get carried back, and then have his viscera spread everywhere."
"Not to mention Posey heard Bux on the Ritché's roof a little before 17:30."

"Maybe... The defendant stole Mr. Cashson's pin... And he used it in the parking lot to reflect a beam of sunlight directly into his eye... So he'd fall over!" Edgar something somethinged.

BEECH

"You're SO right, bestie!!" GUNS.

Shy guy

"That doesn't sound very efficient..."
"Surely there's an easier way to kill someone at a distance?"

Happy Maria

"Well, the first things t'come to mind are remote mechanisms n'traps, but... the roof was barren so we can prob'ly rule 'em out", Pat muttered. "How'd ya kill someone from a distance..? Maybe Mr. Pink phoned Bux durin' a traffic jam and the loud noises shocked him into fallin' off? Or maybe he's secretly a master of hypnosis and made Bux step off himself! That'd be murder, right?"

"One other idea I had is that the culprit shot at Bux from somewhere from a distance. The bullet didn't need t'hit him but being shot at could make ya lose yer balance enough to fall. As to why the bullet wasn't found, it's because the police weren't lookin' for one! How's that? The most efficient way to kill someone from a distance, right?"

Shy guy

"If he was shot, where was he shot from?"

Happy Maria

"Wouldn't'a been possible to shoot from the roof itself, so... either the carpark of the hotel or from Truncheon Tower- which is a good distance from the hotel but the closest thing to bein' as tall as it."

Shy guy

"No shooter could get an angle from the ground, you crazy?"
"Then again, saying he was shot at from the roof of the police HQ is pretty crazy too..."

"IT SOUNDS LIKE NOW IS ANOTHER GOOD TIME TO CHECK UP ON THE OTHER TRIAL."

"Preposterous!"
"You're saying no-one was up on the roof when he was killed?"

"Uh... Yeah! Yeah that's what I'm saying."

"Then how, pray tell, was he killed?"
"Where was the killer standing, if not the roof?"

"Uh, well..."
"Aha! Look, the killer was standing... right here!"

"Truncheon Tower? That's not even the same building!"
"Are you drunk on the high of stealing a single victory from me?"

"As a matter of fact, this explains the circumstances even better than the initial theory!"
"The killer didn't push Bux, they shot him! Right in the head."
"Look at the position of the buildings, and the carpark."
"If he was shot from Truncheon Tower, his body would have fallen the opposite direction, straight into the carpark!"
"That is the reason his head injury was 'unusual' in the autopsy!"
"I can go one step further: he was shot, and the only possible place he could have been shot from is there!"

"Gaaaaaaaaaaaah!"
"You cannot be serious?"
"Bailiff! I want people searching for the bullet posthaste!"
"If Plebethea is correct, the shooter and target can only have been in two very specific places."
"You should be able to track the hypothetical bullet's flight path from there."
"And when we fail to find such a bullet, this theory will be shown as the farce it is!"

The trial went into recess as a team was sent out to investigate. A few hours passed, and then everyone was called back into the courtroom to hear the results. They were not in Kerberos's favour.

"Would you look at that."
"Not only did they find a bullet, but it had blood on it!"
"Bux's blood! You can't deny the conclusion here, Kerberos!"

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

"Enough! It has become abundantly clear that another investigation is due."
"Defence, prosecution, you are to investigate the second building, Truncheon Tower."
"We cannot possibly come to a conclusion without further evidence."
"The trial is adjourned!"

"AND THERE YOU HAVE IT."
"IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH THERE IS A SECOND INVESTIGATION FOR YOU ALL TO BE PRESENT AT."
"YOU WILL BE SENT THERE SHORTLY."

Shy guy

Day 2, Investigation

Kerberos himself was leading the investigation this time. He didn't trust Ella or anyone else to do a good enough job. He strode through Truncheon Tower with an air of refined menace, irked as he was that things weren't going his way.

[Kerberos theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoAULhTGIL8]

Spoiler: Kerberos's Perspective: The Gun
Preliminary findings suggested the shooter had used a rifle of some kind. It wasn't something they could have easily concealed on their person. Judging by the bullet used, the gun had been a police one. This was quickly confirmed when the HQ roof was investigated: the rifle was stowed up there, in a somewhat concealed location. Presumably the killer had left it behind to avoid it being found in their possession. It was, naturally, free of fingerprints. The roof itself could be quickly accessed by a fire escape, which was likely how the killer had left.

The missing gun had been taken from the HQ armoury. Kerberos questioned Ella about this.

"I've checked the roster. You were the one on armoury inspection duty."

"Uh, yeah, that's right."

"Which means it was your responsibility to notice if any weapons were missing."

"Yeeeeeeeeeah, about that..."

"On the evening the gun was stolen, you inspected the armoury."
"You reported all was well, yet this rifle was hidden up on the roof."

"Look, I might have cut a few corners, alright?"
"Inspection's the same every time! No-one ever misplaces guns here."
"I figured it was the same this time, like it has been every single other time."

"If you'd done your job properly, we'd have discovered this much sooner!"
"We would have deduced Bux was shot right from the beginning."
"Bah, this is pointless, anything I say goes in one ear and out the other."
"Fetch the security footage for the armoury. Perhaps it caught our killer."

Spoiler: Kerberos's Perspective: Firing Range and Armoury
The armoury was located inside the firing range. Both were monitored by metal detectors and cameras. Kerberos looked over the footage for both cameras, which recorded various people coming and going. The officer who'd been in charge of monitoring the cameras said he hadn't seen anything amiss, so he wasn't sure how a gun could have been smuggled out.

Kerberos quickly focused one footage of one officer in particular. His cap covered enough of his face that his identity couldn't be discerned by the elevated camera. He was wearing a backpack, and was carrying a laptop. The firing range camera recorded him entering, but the metal detector was set off. The man raised the laptop apologetically: it was responsible for triggering the detector. The camera-monitoring-officer said this was quite common, as people liked to bring electronics in with them to track records, watch tutorials and other such things.

The indistinct man in the footage was then captured by the armoury camera. He'd put the backpack and laptop down at this point. The armoury camera was closer to the scene, but still wasn't able to record the man's identity, beyond that he had blond hair. The armoury door was kept locked by a code, but he unlocked it without issue. He entered the armoury without tripping the detector, then walked out with a rifle, triggering it as you'd expect.

Some time passed, presumably as the man practiced with the gun. The firing range camera didn't record anything unusual in this time.

Then, he was seen returning to the armoury with the rifle, triggering the detector again. He went inside, then left without the rifle. The detector didn't go off. It was clear that there was no way he could hide the bulky rifle on his person, even discounting the metal detector.

Lastly, the firing range camera recorded the man leaving. The metal detector was triggered again, and once more he raised his laptop apologetically, before walking away. The camera-monitoring-officer said nothing seemed amiss in the footage.

"Bah, incompetent, all of you."
"I've already seen through this man's trick."
"This footage shows him smuggling the rifle out of the armoury.*"
"Right under your nose."

With that confirmed, Kerberos stormed off again, returning to where he'd left Ella to report his findings.

(*The solution has been left as an exercise to the reader.)

Spoiler: Kerberos's Perspective: Dee and Dum
Kerberos found Ella goofing around with Aiden, and his spirits fell.

"Aiden, why aren't you in uniform?"
"You're not undercover anymore."

"Oh, I, er, can't find it."
"I was sure I left it in the locker room, but..."

"Wouldn't be the first time you lost it though, huh?"

"Yeah, seems to happen a lot!"
"Though that time you stole it doesn't count."

"Gah, stop, both of you."
"Aiden, let me guess. You're the sort of person who writes down his passwords?"

"Sure! Only way for me to remember them."

"So you wrote down the password to the armoury, I assume?"
"Then kept it in a pocket in your uniform?"

"Cor, a real life Sherlock!"
"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"Ugh, I see what happened here..."
"I believe the culprit was a civilian."
"They infiltrated Truncheon Tower somehow, then stole your uniform."
"This gave them both a disguise, and the way into the armoury to steal the gun."

"Why's that mean they were a civvy?"

"A Truncheon Tower insider simply wouldn't need to go through the trouble."
"They'd have their own uniform, and would already know the code."
"Stealing Aiden's uniform just to throw us off would be an unnecessary risk."
"They'd only do so if they had a very good reason for it."
"In an absence of such a reason, I conclude they're most likely a civilian."

Kerberos pinched the bridge of his nose with a sigh.

"This whole affair has become such a mess."
"Ella, has anything else unusual happened here?"
"Anything that might point towards our killer?"

"Err..."

"Ella. What happened."

"Well, you know that stiff from the last case?"
"Deid Purson?"
"His body was being kept here for further examination."
"What with his murder still being unclear and all."

"Yes...?"

"Well it, uh, kinda, like, disappeared?"
"The body's missing. Stolen or something."
"From the morgue on the bottom floor."
"Me and Aiden were on morgue duty early yesterday."
"Aiden took a break from his undercover work for it."
"But we, uh, found it missing. Yeah."

"That's... I don't..."
"Well, that's certainly strange, I'll concede you that."
"I'm not sure it has any bearing on the case, though."

"Hey, you asked!"

It didn't seem the pair had anything else useful to reveal, so Kerberos headed off to follow up on a hunch. With so many things going missing, he felt it was worthwhile making a copy of the HQ's lost-and-found-items list, just in case anything on it proved useful. Once he was done with that, he felt he'd investigated everything he could at Truncheon Tower.

Once more, and for the last time, the players found themselves in a limbo period. The trial would resume later; for now, they had the opportunity to analyse the new findings and take a break from the trial.

"That man is guilty, I know for a fact he's guilty!" Edgar slammed back his coffee before swiftly slamming the empty mug against a nearby wall, showering some nearby police officers in ceramic. "If he isn't, I'm never getting this out! It needs to be published..."

"If Deid's body is missing, that's even more reason to believe it was Bobby! Who else was there when we investigated his murder?!" Posey. "That's right, the defendant!" also Ella, actually.

The American Dream

“This is a complete disaster…”

ASCEND

“So that rifle,” Akari asked Kerberos. “Any chance it can be disassembled? That would make taking it out a lot easier.”

“Also, mind if I borrow your hat?”
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Shy guy

"Yes, it can be disassembled."
"Though not enough that one could hide it on their person."

"You most certainly cannot borrow my hat."
"I always bring spares with me, take one of those."
"I won't want it back, not after you've touched it."

He took a hat out from somewhere and tossed it to Akari.

Happy Maria

"So our culprit is a blonde civvy who somehow gained access to this buildin', huh..? And our ol' friend Deid seems to have up and left too..." Pat stroked his moustache in thought. "Any ideas on how the culprit got that rifle outta there? All the info we have seems t'have been enough for the top hat guy t'have figured it out."

ASCEND

Akari caught the hat and placed it over her head. It was much too large, hanging from her neck at a ridiculous angle, but it at least covered her grisly stump. She tipped it and curtseyed to Kerberos as a show of thanks.

"Huh, wonder if I'll get to keep this when I come back to life. Feel like I could pull it off. If I actually had a head."

"Anyway, I don't think the killer could have taken the rifle out of the armory again without tripping the sensor, which means the rifle probably never went back in the armory. Not sure how they tricked the camera though. Maybe they brought a decoy with them? Or what's more likely: obviously they had some method of smuggling the rifle out of the firing range. They used that method to take a second rifle from the armory and then brought that one back in.

"See? Thinking just like that uppity prosecutor, ain't I?"
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

"I can't believe those idiots missed a bullet wound..." Mai huffed angrily. "If the victim was shot from another building, doesn't that mean it couldn't have been Bobby? So what does that mean for the prosecution side?"

The American Dream

Maria threw up her hands. "Uh, yeah, what does that mean, exactly? If that counts as a loss then... I am going to write a very strongly-worded letter."

Shy guy

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
"I can't believe those idiots missed a bullet wound..." Mai huffed angrily.

"The fall dealt severe damage to Bux's head."
"Evidence of any other head wounds was largely lost as a result."
"Direct your anger towards Ella: she should taken her armoury inspection more seriously."
"If she had, we'd have considered a gunshot much sooner."

Sock

"At least we know now... Better than not figuring anything out at all." Light groans.

"Suppose nobody can be surprised given the one investigating..."

Shy guy

"I should make a point clear, as it may not be apparent."
"All the events at Truncheon Tower, save the shooting itself, took place between 12:00 and 17:00."
"The shooter stole the gun in advance, then stashed it up on the roof."
"Later, they returned to the roof via the fire escape, retrieved the gun and shot Bux."

"How long would it take to get from the hotel to Truncheon Tower?" Mai wondered.

Shy guy

"Not long. Five, maybe ten minutes."

"So it was the detective after all! I knew it." Mai nodded knowingly.

Southern Corn wrote:
"So our culprit is a blonde civvy who somehow gained access to this buildin', huh..? And our ol' friend Deid seems to have up and left too..." Pat stroked his moustache in thought. "Any ideas on how the culprit got that rifle outta there? All the info we have seems t'have been enough for the top hat guy t'have figured it out."

"Well then it can't be the detective then!" Lady yelled. "Case closed! Now just send me to hell since I lost the first two cases and let's put all of this behind us!"

Shy guy

Trial Resumes

Eventually, the courthouse reappeared around them. Death banged his scythe against the ground.

"HOPEFULLY THAT WAS ILLUMINATING FOR YOU ALL."
"IT APPEARS YOUR NEW GOAL IS TO WORK OUT WHO SHOT BUX."
"LET US USE KERBEROS'S THEORY AS A STARTING POINT."
"THAT IS, GIVEN THE CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES, THE KILLER APPEARS TO BE A CIVILIAN."
"A POLICE OFFICER SHALL BE BROUGHT TO THE STAND TO TESTIFY ABOUT THIS, AND THE BUILDING."

"Oh yeah, I got this!"
"So, like, anyone can get up to the HQ's roof via the fire escape."
"Getting inside to steal the gun though, that's a different matter."
"All entrances into the building are locked or monitored."
"Only an officer could unlock one of the doors."

"However, if that prosecutor's right, the shooter was a civvy, right?"
"So we should look at the different ways a civvy could gain access to the building."
"From the outside, there's two ways in: the main entrance, or a side door."
"The main entrance is where the reception is. There's always people there, and a camera watching too."
"No-one suspicious was seen entering this way."

"As for the side doors, you need a keycard to unlock 'em from the outside."
"Only an officer would have one. I can't see why an officer would let a civvy into the building, either."
"Also, none of the locks show signs of being picked or forced."
"Just so it's clear though, the doors open just fine from the inside, anyone could do that."

"If neither of those work, there's an alternative!"
"Maybe the civvy was already inside the building?"
"My idea was, maybe it was someone being kept in the captivity area!"
"That way they wouldn't be seen at the main entrance, and wouldn't need to unlock a side door."
"The issue is, well, people can't exactly leave the captivity area."
"That's the whole point of it, really. It's heavily monitored, and there's some locked doors to get through."
"I liked the idea, at least..."

"...IT APPEARS THAT IS ALL."
"YOU MAY BEGIN!"

Happy Maria

"You all will probably think what I'm gonna say here is crazy, but I'll be the one to put this idea forth", Pat sighed, looking oddly serious. "I think Ella's last theory is correct- the civilian was in the buildin' ahead of time. They didn't need to pick any of the locks or go through any entrance beforehand. If anythin', it's the police who brought 'em there in the first place. Remember the one odd detail we got at the end of our investigation? That's the key to this. Our ol' friend Deid Purson disappeared on the day of Bux's murder. It's a bit ridiculous t' think that one civilian managed to singlehandedly infiltrate the tower; steal a rifle, a dead body, a police uniform and various other things; and then just leave like that. Even if we assume that there were multiple people involved, it gets hard to believe."

"So what's my solution for all this? Easy- the dead body was never stolen by anybody else in the first place. Deid Purson got up on his own and walked out of the room he was in. Nobody was monitoring 'im at the time, and nobody noticed him till it was too late. It was then he stole all the other random belongings, disguised himself as a police officer and took the rifle. All without anybody realisin' who exactly that person was! And then he returned at 17:40, to shoot ol' Bux on the tower. The civilian was even seen t'be blond, and we know Deid matches that."

"Of course, there's an easy counter t'be made here- and that's that 'dead people can't walk'. For that, I have one thing t'respond- memento mori. Remember Death- or rather, what he told us earlier:"

Death wrote:
"THE ONLY WAY TO CAUSE AN UNSCHEDULED DEATH IS TO INTERFERE WITH FATE."
"ONLY A BEING FROM OUTSIDE THE LIVING REALM, SUCH AS MYSELF, COULD DO SUCH A THING."
"THAT THREE UNSCHEDULED DEATHS SHOULD OCCUR IN SUCH CLOSE PROXIMITY IS TELLING."
"I BELIEVE SOMEBODY, OR SOMETHING, IS WORKING IN SECRET TO ORCHESTRATE THESE MURDERS."
"THERE IS, AS YOU MIGHT PUT IT, A MASTERMIND BEHIND ALL THREE."

"Note that he said "mastermind behind all three". Sure, we dealt with three cases, but there were four murders in total countin' both John and Deid. Is it possible Deid wasn't really dead, but in some sorta coma? That's one explanation, but there's an easier out for that. Death said only a bein' from outside the livin' realm could be behind all of this. Maybe there really isn't any real world explanation for this- maybe Deid Purson is just some kinda otherworldly entity with godlike powers, who resurrected in this moment in time to cause this murder to overcomplicate matters! How about that, huh?!" He finished in a decisive tone.

Shy guy

"I..."
"IS THE ANSWER REALLY SO SIMPLE?"
"GO FETCH DEID'S RECORD."
"IF HE REALLY DIED, IT WILL HAVE BEEN RECORDED."

A Numen quickly flew off at the command.

"IT IS TRUE THAT JOHN WAS THE ONE WHOSE DEATH I'D WANTED INVESTIGATED."
"I DID NOT PAY THE OTHER MUCH MIND."
"IT COULD HAVE BEEN SCHEDULED, UNSCHEDULED, OR HE MAY EVEN HAVE NEVER DIED."

Just a moment later, the Numen flew back in a hurry, reporting its findings.

"i can't find a single record for Deid Purson!"
"i looked really hard, too!"

"REALLY NOW. A MOST EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCE."
"YET I MUST CORRECT YOU ON ONE POINT, PAT."
"AN OUTSIDER CAN INTERFERE WITH THE LIVING REALM, BUT THEY CANNOT TAKE A LIFE THEMSELVES."
"TO BE CLEAR, NOR CAN THEY REVIVE THE DEAD, OR CONTROL PEOPLE, OR ANY SUCH THING."
"AN OUTSIDER IN THE LIVING REALM MUST OBEY THE RULES OF THE REALM."
"THAT SAID, IT DOES APPEAR TO BE THE CASE THAT DEID WAS NEVER, IN FACT, DEAD."
"IT IS CLEAR NOW THAT WE MUST HEAR MORE FROM THOSE ON DUTY AT THE TIME DEID DISAPPEARED."

Ella grimaced on the stand, and Aiden was summoned up alongside her.

"Well, yeah, there's more to the 'body went missing' case then we let on."

"We were told to keep quiet about it!"
"It'd be a major scandal if anyone ever found out what happened."

"We were meant to resolve the situation quietly."
"Find out what happened an' all."
"It didn't seem to have any bearing on the murder."
"Can't really keep quiet now though, can we? I'll go through what happened."

"I went to the Ritché to fetch Aiden. That's when you all saw us there."
"He'd forgotten he had morgue duty that day, the plonker."
"We went back to HQ, got changed into PPE and then headed to the body store."
"Our job was to bring a body out for a coroner to autopsy."
"All was normal then."

"Later we were tasked with retrieving Deid's body."
"There's this schedule, see. Coroners and the like write up tasks, we do them."
"When we returned to the body store, though, his freezer door was open and the body was missing!"
"Aiden stayed to guard the area, and I legged it to tell people what had happened."

" 'course, first thing we did then was check the security footage."
"And that's where it got weird. Though it sounds like you've guessed as much."
"We saw Deid, staggering like a zombie, wandering out of the body store!"
"We're not sure where he went after that though, no other camera caught him."
"We figured he'd just taken the nearby exit. Maybe he wanted to go buy a coffee?"

"IT SOUNDS LIKE THE CONCLUSION THERE IS QUITE CLEAR, THEN."

"Seems like we need to see this footage for ourselves, yeah?"

"What? Oh, nah, you needn't bother."

"Yeah, it's kinda boring, really."
"You've heard the important part."

"Deid wasn't dead, he got up, went for a walk, what more do you need?"

"YOUR OBJECTIONS HAVE NO WEIGHT HERE."
"I SHALL RETRIEVE AND PLAY THE FOOTAGE."

Despite his words, it was a Numen who had to go fetch the evidence. Soon the footage was being played on the massive hourglass in the centre of the room. It was quickly apparent why the two were against it being shown.

Spoiler: Morgue Footage
[Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOw8un7q_ME]

The footage started with Ella and Aiden, covered head-to-toe in PPE, bringing an empty cart to the body store. Aiden was riding on top of the court like it was a surfboard, while Ella pushed it; the viewers could tell Aiden was the one riding by his distinctive swirly glasses, even in the somewhat indistinct footage. After reaching the store, they headed inside. A little later they re-emerged with a body loaded onto the cart, and they brought it back along the corridor, presumably to an autopsy room.

Some time passed. Presumably the coroner had finished their autopsy, as the pair were seen returning with the cart loaded with the same body. After putting it away, they started goofing around again on the way back. When the viewers saw the cart pushed out of the body store, Ella was Titanic-posing on one end while Aiden pushed the cart.

After this, some more time passed, and then an indistinct figure staggered out of the body store. He was blond, and covered only by a sheet around his waist, revealing an old wound on his chest. It must have been Deid. Unaware he was being caught on camera, he headed down the corridor, going off-screen.

Later still, the pair returned once more. This must be when they were to retrieve Deid's body. Aiden pushed the cart to gain momentum while Ella lounged on top, and then he hopped onto a bar on the back and let momentum carry them forwards. Naturally they ended up crashing spectacularly at the other end. It looked like a pretty painful accident, but they brushed themselves off and went inside the body store. As expected, soon after this Ella ran out to go inform people that Deid's body had disappeared.

The pair shamelessly screwing around had just been broadcasted in front of a court of law. Despite their earlier testimony, the pair swiftly denied their involvement.

"Oh, weird, that's not us in the footage!"

"Yeah, no, couldn't be, we don't do that sort of thing."

"Not sure what happened there. I guess we were mistaken?"

"Yeah, mistaken, happens a lot."
"Sometimes I forget to wear shoes to work!"

Mai glared at the sheet of paper she'd written her theory about using Deid's skin as a sort of disguise on, then crumpled it up in frustration out of not even having the chance to present it and threw it off to the side somewhere.

The American Dream

The crumpled up paper hit Maria in the face. She just sighed and looked down at her own notes: a crayon drawing of the American flag being held by a bird with strong baby arms.

“I am not very good at this.”

"Well, what, now we're supposed to believe this guy who was dead and cold on the floor for who even knows how long just decided to quit being dead and go off to shoot someone?" Mai grumbled. "Whether he's dead or not, he's still missing, right? Isn't knowing where he is pretty important?"
Page 13 of 15 [ 574 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus