Board index » Roleplay » Trials » Court House

Page 3 of 11[ 408 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Re: PT-7: Tsar of Turnabouts (Day 1--Investigation)Topic%20Title

Always a hostile witness

"Hmmm..." Derek muttered, reading the program.

"I'll start with the Director's bio. Maybe it'll tell me something about her, something helpful I can use when I probe her for information later."

"So Mr. Woodman lost his wallet during the performance."

This means his alibi should hold up, and give him a little more insight as to what should be truthful.

"Well, let's see now....can you give me some information pertaining to the play?, like a program or anything? And I'd like to hear your opinions on the victim, as well as Mr. Richard Glinkirev, if you don't mind..."

In Justice We Trust

((Where Derek is))

Virginia Wagner

Virginia Wagner was made Director of the Jensen Opera Company six years ago. Since then, the Company has performed an incredible variety of works by composers of every group imaginable. By dividing operas and roles among multiple singers, she has helped the Company to perform far more operas than it ever did under previous directors. In addition, she has sealed deals with theaters and opera companies from several parts of the world to arrange tours and have guest performers. Under her, the Jensen Opera Company has performed in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Tokyo, Vienna, London, Paris, Milan, New York, Singapore, Sydney, Prague, and Seoul. She is regarded as the main reason the Jensen Opera Company is now so successful.

((Where Reid is))

Mrs. Wagner opened a drawer in her desk and took out a copy of the program, handing it to the prosecutor.

"With regards to Mr. Liszt, he was a respectable singer and actor. Admittedly, his behavior caused a number of inefficiencies in rehearsals, as well as creating a rift between him and most of the performers, but that's why his salary was so low in comparison to other prominent soloists. Regardless of his behavior, though, he was a useful member of the Company; very few of our tenors are as good on the high notes as he was. In fact, other than him, the only tenor who could reach C5 is Mr. Woodman, but Mr. Liszt was far stronger up there than Mr. Woodman is.
"As for Mr. Glinkirev, he is easily the best soloist we have. His superior range has made him quite versatile in the roles he auditions for, and his voice is quite strong in all areas. There's also his acting skills, which I hear earned him an award in a competition in London when Mr. Razet was the director. He's quite devoted to his work and has often mastered his roles when the other soloists are still working on theirs. He's been here longer than anyone else, so a large number of our patrons will surely be affected by this incident.
"Both of them have contributed quite well to the Company. Regardless of how this case turns out, this is going to hurt us rather notably."
I'll always love you, Max.

Always a hostile witness

"That didn't seem particularly useful at the moment. Let's look at our victim." Derek thought

So both held a very high regard for their abilities in the director's mind. Reid thought.

"I understand, and I'm sorry for the hurt that the Company will face Ma'am."

Reid tried to make the apology sound as sincere as he could, and decided just one more question would be needed.

"Now Ms. Wagner, who was in charge of the costume and props department on the night of the incident?"

...The fuck?

Issac pulled out a pocket notebook he always carried so when he needed to write something important down, he could. This was one of those times. When Derek finished with the program, he would scan it over for anything useful, but as for now he went to look around the room some more.

In Justice We Trust

((Where Reid is))

"The stage manager was ill, so I was in charge that night. All of the costumes were where they needed to be, and so were all of the necessary props."

((Where Derek and Issac are))

Jason Liszt as Andrei

American tenor Jason Liszt joined the Jensen Opera Company in February of this year, quickly earning respect for his portrayal of Don José in the Company's performance of Carmen in March. Since then, he has been earning role after role and is becoming a sensation among local opera fans. Recent roles include the Prince in Rusalka, Radames in Aida, Lohengrin in Lohengrin, Arnold Melcthal in William Tell, and Grishen'ka Kuter'ma in The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh and the Maiden Fevronia. He has recently been invited to participate in the Rimsky-Korsakov Opera Festival in St. Petersburg.

Always a hostile witness

"Look like this guy's no newbie. But that doesn't mean anything right now." Derek shut the program. He was working backwards. According to Richard, everyone didn't like the guy because of his arrogance. But there were plenty of pricks around. He needed something a little more substantial.

"If I figure out who was in charge of the gun, maybe this thing will help me with the motive later. For now, let's not look at the players. I need to see who had the opportunity to use this gun." Derek turned to the plot synopsis. Was there ever a firearm used in the play before the murder scene? If there was, was it the same type of weapon?

In Justice We Trust

((Where Derek and Issac are))

Act I:
Scene 1: The young Maria sings of her love for Ivan Mazeppa, an old hetman. Andrei, Maria’s friend, finds Maria and confesses his love to her. Maria apologetically says she does not love him back. Andrei, heartbroken, leaves. Mazeppa arrives, accompanied by Kochubey (Maria’s father), Lyubov (Maria’s mother), Iskra (Kochubey’s friend), guests, servants, guards, and entertainers. After a performance is put on for Mazeppa, he asks Kochubey for Maria’s hand in marriage, which he refuses to grant. An argument ensues, attracting the attention of the entire party. Mazeppa, believing a fight may break out, fires his gun into the air to signal his Cossacks. Maria intervenes and begs that there not be any bloodshed. Mazeppa asks Maria what she thinks—will she stay with her family and never see him again, or will she elope with him and marry him? Maria chooses to marry Mazeppa. With his troops and Maria, Mazeppa rides off as Kochubey and his family grieve.
Secne 2: With a plan for revenge, Kochubey reveals to Iskra, Lyubov, and Andrei that Mazeppa once told him that he planned on having Ukraine secede from Russia. Andrei volunteers to tell the Tsar about Mazeppa’s plot. Confident that Mazeppa will be executed for treason, the chorus sings about their imminent revenge against the hated hetman.
Act II:
Scene 1: Kochubey’s plan has failed. The Tsar did not believe him and had both him and Iskra handed over to Mazeppa. He is now in chains with Iskra, awaiting the day of his execution. Mazeppa’s henchman, Orlik, enters to interrogate Kochubey. He asks Kochubey where his treasure is, but he defiantly states that he had three treasures, two of which (his honor and his daughter) have already been lost to Mazeppa. The third, vengeance, he places in God’s hands. Outraged at the prisoner’s defiance, Orlik calls in the torturer.
Scene 2: Mazeppa is told by Orlik of Kochubey’s silence. He tells Orlik that the execution shall proceed the next day, as planned. After Orlik leaves, Mazeppa sings about how, despite all the immoral acts he has committed, his love for Maria remains honest and pure. Maria enters and reproaches Mazeppa for neglecting her. Mazeppa reassures his wife that he loves her deeply and truly. He tells her of his plan to liberate Ukraine from Russia, and that that plan was the reason he was spending less time with her. Maria supports Mazeppa’s plan completely.
Mazeppa, relieved, leaves Maria alone to think. Lyubov arrives, having sneaked into the castle. Lyubov tells Maria to intervene on behalf of her father. Maria, having not learned what was going to happen, is confused. When Lyubov tells Maria that Kochubey is going to be executed, Maria faints. As she recovers, the sounds of a march, indicating the beginning of the execution ceremony, are heard. In a panic, the two women run off to try to stop the execution.
Scene 3: It is the day of the execution. A drunken Cossack sings a loutish song and is driven off by the crowd. As the procession begins, the crowd watches in horror as the two executioners pass by. Mazeppa then rides by on horseback. Afterwards, Kochubey and Iskra, in chains and surrounded by monks, arrive. They sing a last prayer as they mount the scaffold. Maria and Lyubov arrive just in time to see the axes fall.
Act III:
Scene 1: An orchestral interlude depicting the Battle of Poltava precedes the act. The scene is the same as in the first scene of Act I, but now in ruins. The Swedes, Mazeppa’s allies, are fleeing from the victorious Russians. Andrei arrives at the scene and sings an aria of love for Maria and hatred for the traitorous Mazeppa. Hoofbeats approach—it is Mazeppa, along with Orlik. In fleeing from the Russians, they come across Andrei, who, consumed with rage, attacks Mazeppa. After a brief sword fight, Mazeppa shoots Andrei.
Maria enters the scene. The horror of witnessing her father’s execution has driven her mad. Though at first painfully insistent on taking Maria with him, when Orlik tells Mazeppa that taking her along will only slow them down and ensure their capture, Mazeppa regretfully leaves without her. Maria sees Andrei lying wounded on the ground. At first, she thinks he is her dead father, but then she comes to think he is a child asleep in the grass. She sings a lullaby to him as he dies.

Lawyer of the Year

Rufus walks out of his dressing room.

"Wow.....I'm hungry.....I better go somewhere to eat?" Rufus mumbles.

Rufus walks down the hallway while still talking to himself.

"Well I feel like Italian but that is too far away....how about Chinese....maybe....Oh I know!! Greek, that always makes me good!" Rufus said.

He walks onto the stage.

"But first some singing practice...big star tenors need their warm-ups." Rufus said.

He starts to sing in to a microphone that is on.

In Justice We Trust

((I'm starting to think you don't have a very good sense of Rufus's personality. For starters, what is there to practice? The Company's under investigation thanks to the murder. Perhaps you should just lay low until your character is needed.))

Lawyer of the Year

((Sorry.....I just thought like he could just walk around alittle and i got kinda confused on his personalit a little.))

Always a hostile witness

"I see. So he shoots him during the third act. Now, according to this, Mazeppa uses a gun earlier to signal the Cossacks, but no one else seems to use it. However, with that much time between them, could someone have altered it? Time-wise seems feasible, but what about the gun itself? I'd need to ask the director about that."

Derek shut the program. He'd gone without speaking to the director long enough. He passed it off to Issac.

"Hold this for me, will you?" He instructed. "I'm going to have a chat with Virginia Wagner."

He left his client's dressing room and knocked on Ms. Wagner's door.

In Justice We Trust

"Come in," the director said.

...The fuck?

"Erhm.. Umm.. Ok.." he took the program without thinking. He went and sat down on Richards chair. "Hmmm... he thought, "Maybe I should look up some bios on the two people... (Their role in the play). He flipped to the index and found Richard's name. He turned to the page he was on and read.

Last edited by Bletz on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In Justice We Trust

((Where Issac is))

Richard Glinkirev as Ivan Mazeppa

American bass-baritone Richard Glinkirev has been with the Jensen Opera longer than anyone else and has performed as a guest artist in numerous prominent opera venues, including (but not limited to) the Bolshoi Theater in Moscow, the Royal Opera House in London, Teatro alla Scala in Milan, and the Metropolitan Opera House in New York. Well-known for his powerful and versatile singing voice, as well as his superior acting skills, Glinkirev has sung numerous bass and baritone roles, being best known for his portrayals of Ivan Susanin in A Life for the Tsar, Wotan/the Wanderer in Das Rheingold, Die Walküre, and Siegfried, and recently, the title role in William Tell. He is a regular guest artist at the Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg.

Last edited by General Luigi on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Thank you Ms. Wagner, that will be enough for now..."

No sooner had he uttered the sentence than a knock came from the front door. Ms Wagner told the person to come in, and in stepped Derek.

"Well, seems as if it's my time to leave." Reid said as he headed to the door."I hope you realize this case is more complex than what it seems, and I hope we can get to the truth. No matter what."

He looked over Derek once more, and finally said

With that statement, he stepped out of the room and closed the door behind him. He had a strange feeling on that last bit of information. He decided to make his way into the hallway. He thought back to what he had been told and decided to work his way to Woodman's room. He knocked once on the wooden door.

"Mr. Woodman, this is Prosecutor Marrow, may I come in?"

Always a hostile witness

"Good day." Derek responded flatly to Prosecutor Morrow. He turned to Ms. Wagner.

"How do you do, Ms. Wagner. My name is Derek Waters, and I'm the defense attorney for Mr. Glinkirev."

In Justice We Trust

((Where Derek is))

"I see," she replied. "What do you need to know?"

Always a hostile witness

"Ma'am." Derek was impeccably polite. "I wanted to ask you a question about that weapon Mazeppa used to shoot Andrei. If possible, I'd like to know who was in charge of it. A prop manager, perhaps?"

In Justice We Trust

"The stage manager was ill, so I assumed his roles, which included making sure all the costumes and props were where they needed to be."

Always a hostile witness

"I see. Now, that specific weapon, was it only used for that scene. If I remember the opera correctly, Mazeppa uses a gun in the first act as well. Was that the same one?"

In Justice We Trust

"Yes. Considering that an actual bullet was fired when the murder happened, the prop must have been switched with a real gun sometime between the first scene of the first act and the third act. The prop gun is incapable of firing real bullets--the barrel's too narrow."

...The fuck?

"Not much that can help me there... He jotted down the paragraph quickly. "Lets look up the role of Andrei.." He turned to the index then to the page he needed.

In Justice We Trust

((It's already been posted, but I'll do it again.))

Jason Liszt as Andrei

American tenor Jason Liszt joined the Jensen Opera Company in February of this year, quickly earning respect for his portrayal of Don José in the Company's performance of Carmen in March. Since then, he has been earning role after role and is becoming a sensation among local opera fans. Recent roles include the Prince in Rusalka, Radames in Aida, Lohengrin in Lohengrin, Arnold Melcthal in William Tell, and Grishen'ka Kuter'ma in The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh and the Maiden Fevronia. He has recently been invited to participate in the Rimsky-Korsakov Opera Festival in St. Petersburg.

Lawyer of the Year

Rufus walked back to his dressing room.

He sat down and just sat there.

Then he picked up the newspaper and started to read it.

((This is the post that he is in his dressing room now))

"Mr.Rufus, are you there?"

His knocking continued.

Always a hostile witness

Derek wrote down everything Ms. Wagner said. This was important. The fake gun was a prop, incapable of shooting real bullets.

"I see. Now then, where was this gun placed when it wasn't in use?"

In Justice We Trust

((Where Derek is))

"Whenever Mr. Glinkirev didn't need the gun for the scene he was in, it was kept in his dressing room. I have no idea where in his dressing room, but that's where it was kept."

Always a hostile witness

"That might make for an interesting clue, if I can find out anything about it. I don't think showing it to a detective would be forthcoming; they are on the side of the prosecution. I shall have to ask my client about that later. In the meantime, I wonder what else I can get out of this woman."

"Ms. Wagner, had anything out of the ordinary happened on the day of the crime? Anything go missing, someone run obnoxiously late, or merely an unusual backstage flirtation?"

In Justice We Trust

"Mr. Woodman lost his wallet. He started snooping around the other performers' dressing rooms to see if anyone had taken it. I had found his wallet earlier, so I gave it to him when I saw him."

...The fuck?

"Thats all for now... Lets go find Derek. He thought. He left Richards room and went to Ms. Wagner's room. "Knock, Knock." he said as he walked in.

In Justice We Trust

"Yes?" Mrs. Wagner replied to the knock.

Always a hostile witness

"It looks like Mr. Woodman was sticking his fingers into a few too many pies. But it's not substantial. Did he even go into the defendant's room? I'll have to check with him later?"

Derek sighed as Issac walked into the room. He did his best investigating when he was alone.

"Good day, Issac." Derek responded. "I was just finishing up. Thank you, Ms. Wagner, I shall excuse myself." Derek exited the room. Before going to find this Mr. Woodman, he went back to Richard's dressing room. If Ms. Wagner was right and the gun in the play was a fake, then where did the fake gun disappear too? He had to search around for it.

yeah so I left.

((Sorry if this is god-modding any, I just thought I'd begin now. I'm kinda not very patient.))

Brrring... Brrring... Brrring...

"Yes, hello?" Finn picked up his phone, running a hand through his hair. Even though it was well into the afternoon he was lying in his bed, remnants of breakfast and coffee on the table beside them.

"But this is my day off... Oops. Well, I don't have the case files, anyway - Oh, for heavens sake. Alright, alright... Bye."

He sat up in his bed, stretching a little. He hated it when this happened - it wasn't even his case. Grumbling under his breath, he threw some clothes on and made his way to the precinct.

Before he continued on to the Opera House, he phoned the patrolman, explaining that he was the new detective on the case, and that he could be expected in twenty minutes or so.

Finn sighed. The facts were all very clear-cut... The evidence he had so far only seemed to point to one conclusion... But there were many possibilities, he admited to himself as he brought his rusty old car to life. His few years in the force had taught him that.

...The fuck?

Issac followed Derek into Richard's dressing room. "I heard that indignant sigh you gave as I went in to Mrs. Wagner's room. Are you saying I'm too imcompetent to do any work?" he said glumly.

Always a hostile witness

"Issac, if I thought you were too incompetent, why would I waste my money paying you? I'd really like to buy some new Central American decor for the office. I can never have too many chac mools. Now, if you're not going off finding something on your own, help me look for something. Namely, the fake gun that was supposed to be used in the play."

Lawyer of the Year

Rufus opens the door.

"Hello..Mr. Prosecutor...please come in?" Rufus says politely.

HE directs Marrow to a chair at a table.

...The fuck?

"Sure." Issac said reluctantly. He began rummaging through different parts of Richard's bedroom. "Are you sure the gun was even stashed here? Or maybe in a different dressing room?" he asked.

Always a hostile witness

"This is where it was supposed to be. They probably wouldn't have taken it very far, or else they'd run the risk of being seen by someone backstage. Let's look here for now, and branch out later." Derek responded.
Page 3 of 11 [ 408 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Trials » Court House