Page 1 of 11[ 408 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

PT-7: Tsar of Turnabouts (Day 1--Investigation)Topic%20Title

In Justice We Trust

Main thread: http://www.forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11339

Introduction

September 17--10:17 PM
Osterling Opera House, Stage

“I know that voice!” The subtitles over the stage read, translating Andrei’s Russian. “Is this fugitive a friend or foe?” Andrei saw that the man was none other than Mazeppa. His face contorted into an effigy of hatred. “What! You, you, Mazeppa!... Destroyer of sacred innocence, do you now recognize the dwelling and the home, the happy home that used to be, where now there is total gloom and desolation? Do you recognize the safe and sheltered abode where the angel of peace used to live, and the garden, where you would go at dead of night to meet her?”

“I recognized it!” Mazeppa responded. “Why do you reproach me so violently and angrily? What, Andrei, do you want from me?”

“What do I want? I want your death! In bloody battle, burning with a desire for vengeance, I sought you everywhere, Mazeppa, you must die, your hour has come!”

“Andrei, respect my grey hair!”

“Oh, you traitor, you preying vulture!”

“Show respect for my misfortune!”

“You despicable, loathsome old man!”

“But if you raise your hand against me, know that I am not unarmed!”

“You destroyer of sacred innocence!”

The young soldier and the old officer then sang together.

“—Seducer of a pure darling!
—Andrei, respect my grey hair,
—Curse the day, curse the hour,
—show respect for my misfortune,
—when you took her from us!
—respect my grey hair.
—You shall answer for your crime,
—But if you raise your hand against me,
—I will strike you down without compunction,
—know that I am not unarmed,
—die then, die, and at the cruel moment of death
—I am not unarmed!
—my curse shall be upon you, evil old man!”

Andrei drew his sword and ran at the man who had robbed him of the love of his life. Mazeppa drew his own sword and countered every blow. The clanging of cold steel rang throughout the audience as they watched. With his free hand, Mazeppa took out a handgun and fired.

BANG!

Andrei collapsed to the ground, clutching his wound, blood seeping out from between his fingers.

“You sad man!” Mazeppa said regretfully. “God knows, I did not wish for your destruction!”

“You shot me for real!” Andrei yelled in English, loud enough for the audience and orchestra to hear.

The orchestra stopped as the audience gasped and started jeering uproariously at Mazeppa. Mazeppa sunk to his knees in shock and despair. It was no longer a performance. A man had shot his fellow performer in front of hundreds of people.

Roles

Prosecutor: Zed Arken (Akiak)
Prosecution Aide: Zack Terrance (ArcanaFang)
Defense Attorney: Derek Waters (Matt620)
Defense Aide: (Bletz)
Detective: Marice Risk (GaleForce)
Judge: Crystal Robinson (Phantom Mark)
Richard Glinkirev (General Luigi)
Michelle Glinkirev (Taken by General Luigi until someone else applies)
Rufus Woodman (Taken by General Luigi until someone else applies)
Emily Holgar (BHX)
Dana Papadopoulou (Taken by General Luigi until someone else applies)
Virginia Wagner (Taken by General Luigi until someone else applies)
Secret Witness (Molotov)

Map

September 18
Detention Center

Richard tried to make himself comfortable in the chair provided for him. There wasn't anything to do while waiting for his attorney except fidget with the costume he was in when he was arrested and try to get into a position that didn't hurt to maintain.
I'll always love you, Max.

Last edited by General Luigi on Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:24 am, edited 15 times in total.
Re: PT-7: Tsar of Turnabouts (Day 1--Investigation)Topic%20Title

Always a hostile witness

"Just when you think you get a moment's rest..." Derek sighed as he pulled into the Detention Centre. He had just finished a case just yesterday. His plans of a weekend retreat to the coast: a little sun, sea, and sky just before the weather started to get really cold, combusted into disappointment so real it was giving him chest pain.

"Why can't people just not murder? I mean all the effort and..." But Derek stopped complaining to himself as he entered the building. This was work, after all, and Derek was not paid to enjoy himself. At least, not to laze around at the beach to do so.

"I'm here to see Richard Glinkirev."

PM me, I bite ;)

((Ah! I guess I need a name/profile.....Sending the PM to General Luigi right now....If anyone else wants/needs to see it, feel free to drop me a PM))
Been here since 2/4/08

In Justice We Trust

"Right this way," the guard said to Derek. He opened the door to Richard's room. "Mr. Glinkirev, your attorney's here."

"Very well," Richard said.

The guard motioned for Derek to enter.

Always a hostile witness

"Thank you." Derek thanked the guard before taking his seat.

"This is my client? What is this, Halloween?" Derek thought to himself. Well, it was always the crazies that seemed to get caught up in things like this.

"Mr. Glinkirev, my name is Derek Waters. I'm your attorney for this case. Before we begin, I'd like to know...just what exactly are you wearing?"

In Justice We Trust

"I was arrested on-stage during a performance and wasn't allowed to change out of my costume," Richard replied. "I sang the role of Ivan Mazeppa in the Jensen Opera Company's performance of Mazeppa."

Shane Boyd was bored as he was driving down to the Osterling Opera House. Usually that didn't happen to him during a case, in fact he was known as one of the most passionate detectives there, which had led to him being made the youngest head detective in that district's history when he was promoted to that 3 years ago. But today seemed like a normal, non-case day to him. It seemed as open and shut a case as you could possibly find.

Yet they still make me come down here and investigate. Still, I can't get my guard down. I've thought the same thing about other cases and look how those turned out. The defense was able to turn it upside down, and I was able to assist in catching the true criminal each of those times. And that could potentially be the case here he thought as reached the parking lot and took a space close to the opera house.

He flashed his badge as he walked in, though it wasn't really necessary, as all the other police here recognized him. He turned to one of the newer members of the force.

"Could you show me to the stage?" he asked the cop.

"Ye-yes sir," said the investigator.

In truth, Shane didn't need anyone's help to find the stage. But he'd noticed that this new addition seemed a bit nervous about being an investigator, and he felt that he could help with that. He would allow the other to investigate the scene with him and hopefully finding a few pieces of crucial evidence would bring up his confidence.

Always a hostile witness

"Mazeppa? Never heard of it. But I'm not too big on opera. Oh well, another day. I'd like to ask you a few questions. Firstly, I'd like to know who the...er...victim was." Derek quickly recovered from his stammer. It was not professional to insult a client's personal life.

In Justice We Trust

"The victim was Jason Liszt, a tenor in the Company. A scoundrel, to say the least. He managed to fool my daughter into dating him and then broke her heart when she found out he was cheating on her. I'm not happy he's dead, but I'm certainly glad he's out of my life--and my daughter's life. He was about as mature as a high school freshman boy, always disrupting rehearsals, making light of serious topics, making dirty jokes that everyone but him found repulsive... His only redeeming features were his singing voice and acting skills."

PM me, I bite ;)

Natalie leisurely walked into the detention center. She sighed. Her mother had forced her to assist in prosecuting this case. Grinning, Natalie recalled the case details. It was about as clean-cut as could be. A man shot another man during a performance. There were hundreds of witnesses. She laughed softly. Winning always pleased her. She walked up to the man in charge of the detention center. "Hello, Marshall."

The caped man turned. "Hello there, miss Natalie." He grinned, and took a swig from his flask of....whatever was in the flask. "What brings you here, little lady?"

Natalie grinned. "I'm helping Mom's friend with a case. I'm here to see...." She pulled a scrap of paper out of her pocket. "Richard Glinkirev? He's the defendant, right?"
Been here since 2/4/08

Always a hostile witness

"No love lost there...got it." Derek responded "Jeez, why don't you just put a big sign above your head saying motive."

"Then let's move on to what you've done during the night. You were the lead actor correct? Were you always on stage during the performance?"

PM me, I bite ;)

Marshall smiled. "Yup. Right that way." He pointed towards the room. "But there's already a man in there talking to him, so you'll hafta wait your turn." He grinned.

"Whatever. Rules can be broken." Natalie smiled sweetly at Marshall and walked into the room. She saw the defendant, garbed in a ridiculous costume. There was also a young man, presumably the defense. She pulled up a chair and sat down next to the man. "Hey. Can I ask him some questions when you're done?"
Been here since 2/4/08

In Justice We Trust

"There were two scenes during which I was not on-stage," Richard said, paying the young woman who had just entered no mind--she was probably part of the investigation. "During both of those scenes, I was in my dressing room. If you had a program from the performance, you'd have a better sense of who was on-stage when. No actors were on-stage in every scene." He paused. "That reminds me--There's a copy of the program in my dressing room. If you're looking to find out who got me into this mess, it'll be useful to have. The synopsis is probably more detailed than necessary, but it will most likely tell you what you need to know about who was on-stage when."

Always a hostile witness

"Yeah, I'll definitely need that. I've definitely got to know who's who in this play." Derek smiled briefly.

"So, tell me, were you there when the murder happened? Can you tell me anything about that?"

In Justice We Trust

"I was on-stage and in-character, facing Liszt's character in a sword fight. Just as practiced, Andrei--that's Liszt's character--let up just briefly on his offense, and, right on cue and in time with the music, I took out a gun, which I thought was just a prop. We had done this performance twice before and rehearsed this exact scene I don't know how many times, and no bullets had ever come out of the thing. Anyway, I pulled the trigger and the gun fired, looking and sounding just like the fake shots that had been rehearsed. There was a pouch of fake blood hidden under Liszt's costume, meant to open and spray 'blood' in response to a trigger of sorts attached to Liszt's free hand. Due to the fake blood, I thought Liszt was just doing exactly as we had rehearsed. He collapsed, again as we had rehearsed. I continued on with the performance until Liszt screamed in English, 'You shot me for real!'
"I suppose I went into a daze after that. As much of a scoundrel as he was, he never played a joke like that during an actual performance. I could tell what was going on around me after that, but I felt as though my body was moving on its own and my consciousness was just watching the scene. I guess I was in shock. After all, I had just shot someone. I finally regained control of my body--if one could say I ever lost control--shortly after the police arrived and took me away."

Always a hostile witness

Derek frantically scribbled this down. This was not good. A "not guilty" plea would be near-impossible to obtain. An "accidental death" would be significantly easier, but was that really what happened. So someone had to tamper with the bullets or the gun?

"So, let me get this straight. The gun prop was supposed to fire off a fake shot? Like flash powder or something? Who was in charge of the gun? The prop manager?"

In Justice We Trust

"Correct. It was meant to look and sound like a gunshot, but it wasn't supposed to fire actual bullets. As for who was in charge, I don't know exactly. The director almost certainly knows, though. Knowing her, she's probably in her office at the opera house."

Always a hostile witness

"I see. Then this director and I are going to have to have a chat about that."

"That's going to be the most important thing the prosecutor's going to put out...or he's going to avoid it. Whichever the case, I need to know about it."

Derek shut his notebook.

"That's all I need right now. If I find anything out that I need you further from, I know where I can find you. In the meantime, just hang cool and don't answer the police without me being there."

Now it was time to head to the scene. He had to meet with this director.

...The fuck?

30m Earlier: Beep Beep. Beep Beep.

Present Time: "Yawwwwnnnn..." Issac sat up and looked at the clock. "...AHH!!! I'm laaate!!"
He slipped on some clothes and ran out the door of apartment 3D. He wore some slacks and his favorite jacket over a plain white t-shirt. "Ugggh.. Dereks gonna have my hide for this.." He ran off towards the direction of the crime scene, because he already knew Derek would have just been done with questioning Richard.

Always a hostile witness

Derek headed towards the scene, trying his best to avoid any police officers. He hated explaining himself as an attorney. It was just a waste of time.

The crime scene, this opera house, was certainly a strange place for a crime to be committed. And on stage, no less. There were a few things that worked in his favor, but a few things that didn't. But was this crime a careless accident, or a premeditated murder.

"That's for the police, and me, to find out." Derek thought as he came up to the scene. Before going in, he picked up his phone and rang his assistant, who was supposed to meet him at the Detention Center.

"Issac, pick up the phone." He willed out loud before the phone connected.

...The fuck?

Issac's cell began to ring. "I'm giving myself 3 guesses to call who it is.." he said as he opened the phone. "Hello?"

Always a hostile witness

"It's Derek." Derek responded. "We have a case today, Issac. You weren't at the Detention Center, and I don't see you at the crime scene. I can only assume you're off finding some case breaking evidence somewhere else. Care to enlighten me?"

...The fuck?

"Ehrm.. No!! I slept in on accident. I was already on my way to the crime scene.." Issac said hesitatingly into the phone.

Always a hostile witness

"Sometimes I think you want to give me a infarction. Get over to the crime scene, and try to look presentable, for God's sake. It's an opera house." Derek hung up the phone.

"Not that I give a crap about some fat chicks in Viking helmets shattering my eardrums. Might as well go to my client's dressing room first. If I don't know what this opera's supposed to be like, I'm sunk."

He moved into the opera house.

...The fuck?

Issac shuddered as Derek slammed the phone in his ear. He shut his and slipped it back into his pocket. He then checked himself over then ran towards the opera house.

"Gosh, I only slept in a half hour, don't have to yell at me. I'm only human..." he said to himself as he walked through the doors. "Now which way is the backstage..?"

In Justice We Trust

The backstage hallway extended from behind the stage to the rear exit and was lined on both sides with dressing rooms. Each of the dressing rooms had panels on the doors that could have the names on them switched out. A number of the rooms had blank panels. Some had been locked after the investigators had questioned the people occupying them. There was a small red rug in front of the door to the director's office, which sat right next to the rear exit. Ten doors, in total, had anything on them.

Emily Holgar
Soprano
Maria

Jason Liszt
Tenor
Andrei

Richard Glinkirev
Bass-Baritone
Ivan Mazeppa

Peter Smetak
Baritone
Vasily Kochubey

Olivia Rossaldi
Mezzo-Soprano
Lyubov

Rufus Woodman
Tenor
Iskra

Luka Rimusorgsky
Bass
Orlik

Tyler Prokinsky
Tenor
Drunken Cossack

Virginia Wagner
Director

Chorus Room

Always a hostile witness

"I should start in my client's room. Get that script." Derek thought to himself. Without bothering to knock, he opened the door.

My name is Judge.

Disregard message.

...The fuck?

Issac looked around and finally found the door leading to the backstage. As he walked in he saw Derek heading towards Richard's room. "Hey Derek!" he yelled out.

Always a hostile witness

As Derek was about to enter Richard's room, he heard someone call his name.

"It can't be the police. They couldn't recognize me at a glance like that. It must be..." Derek turned around. It was Issac, his assistant. Dressed like he had just rolled out of bed, which was probably the truth anyway.

"So glad to see that you've arrived." Derek said dismissively. "Now then, are you prepared to put in a good day's work?"

In Justice We Trust

"Hey!" a voice yelled to the defense attorney and his assistant. "This is a restricted area!" A patrolman had just walked out of the director's office and noticed them. "You got clearance?" he asked, approaching them.

Always a hostile witness

"We're related parties to the investigation." Derek responded. Not a lie. Far from it, the defense attorney was certain a relevant party. Dealing with police officers was fairly difficult, but nothing Derek hadn't handled before.

"The only people who would be hanging around an opera house that's a crime scene with no opera around are related parties and the press. And we're not press."

In Justice We Trust

"Let's see... You're obviously not tied to the Department, so I'm going to guess you're Glinkirev's defense. Still, as a formality, I'll need to see your badge.

Always a hostile witness

This police officer was surprisingly more pleasant then most other police that Derek had met. Probably because this one wasn't on the cross about "layman."

Derek's attorney's badge was on his shirt collar. He didn't usually wear it on his coat lapel, as he thought it was too flashy. Theatrics for the courtroom.

"Here you are, officer."

My name is Judge.

Wrong topic again, sorry.

...The fuck?

Issac walked over to where the guard was confronting Derek. "I'm with him." he said as he stood next to him.

In Justice We Trust

"I see. Well, you'll need an escort while you're here, so I'll contact the detective. If he can't escort you, I'll probably get the task."

The patrolman took out his radio and contacted Detective Boyd.

"Sir, Glinkirev's defense team is here."

...The fuck?

Issac turned to Derek and said in a quiet tone, "Sorry, sorry, sorry. I slept in.. I already told you this right?" Issac hesitated. "What did you learn from Richard?" he asked.

Always a hostile witness

"That it happened on stage in front of everyone, and that the murder weapon was a gun that was supposed to be shooting blanks. I've gotta figure out who was in charge of this weapon. There's also a few things I need to get in the defendant's room, namely, a script, so I know what the hell this play is all about."

Derek knew that things were going to be different this case. Whether that meant it would be easier or harder rested on a few variables. If that detective showed up, Derek would find out just what they were.

...The fuck?

Issac was in deep thought. "So your saying someone rigged the gun with bullets before the show?" he said and pondered at the same time.

"Wait, don't answer that. It's too obvious." Issac hesitatingly said. If you don't mind I'm going to go look around some more. Issac ran off.

(Exit post because I'm leaving for a campout and I will be gone all weekend. I'll be back on sunday, so be there =D)
Page 1 of 11 [ 408 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Trials » Court House