Board index » Roleplay » Trials » Court House

Page 1 of 3[ 90 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BL-29: Turnabout Slugger (Day 1 - Investigation)Topic%20Title

Always a hostile witness

This is the investigation phase for the Turnabout Slugger case. If you are not taking part in the case, please, do not post here. All relevant investigations may begin now.
Re: BL-29: Turnabout Slugger (Day 1 - Investigation)Topic%20Title

I suppose i'll start us off.

Prosecutor McGregor stared at the crime scene before him.
There was something odd about it that he just couldn't put his finger on.
He sighed, giving up on his guessing, and waited for the detective in charge of the case to join him.
Nothing.

((I was waiting for an introduction but seeing as NO ONE seems to be posting, (except antonis) I've decided to introduce myself :) ))

Sylvia was busily sweeping the refuge and litter from yesterdays Base Ball game. What a mess that was… First the riot out on the field for some lousy call or another and then later, bam a player is… ugh, Sylvia shuddered, she couldn’t bring herself to remember it.
She heard footsteps behind her and turned to see a man in his later 20’s early 30’s.
“Ack!” she shouted. She scuttled over the man pushing him back defensively with the side of her broom. “Get back!” “Get Back!” she repeatedly shouted.
The man looked confused so Sylvia angrily pointed towards the floor where a pair of mud tracks that trailed behind the man.
“Stop tracking mud you Buffoon! Aw, what’s the use? With all these officers and such walking around today, these floors will never stay clean.” She leaned the broom against the wall and started to walk off.

Always a hostile witness

Jacob sat in the detention cell, bravely fighting back his own despair as he waited for the attorney to show. Would Veronica go through the motions of getting him one? He had no idea. It would certainly make sense for her to do so, but he hadn't seen hide nor hair of her since his arrest.

He pressed his knees to his chest as he thought about what he had pieced together from what the police told them. Ashley Beaker, that crazy fangirl. Dead, that's it, gone. It was sad, to think about it. Even the thought that the girl would no longer be around, trying to steal his cap or all those other stunts she pulled did not bring him joy.

"I didn't...I didn't kill her!" The man protested to the cold stone of the cell.

Alan Hodge was asked to remain in the stadium today. The entire team was not supposed to go anywhere until this matter was resolved.

"Certainly run a tight ship, don't you, Veronica?" Alan thought. He took his place at the warm up mound and threw a few fastballs. His arm wasn't going to get lazy, and he didn't want his head to think about the incident.

Veronica quietly sat in her office, sorting through paperwork. It never seemed to get done. Managing a group of nearly 20 people was hard even in a normal office. When those twenty people were a sports team, it was even harder.

"Nothing I can't handle, I just wonder if, back when I was in school, back when I thought I could have it all, if I remembered I still needed to eat and sleep" The woman filed away some papers. Without a crowd to worry about, she could get caught up on work when the police weren't investigating her. She resolved not to leave her office. She could easily be found if necessary, and other things could get done if she wasn't.

((Question does the defendant HAVE to be not guilty or is it different every case?))
Nothing.

Always a hostile witness

The role of the prosecutor is to find the defendant guilty, the defense is to find him innocent. The detective is to get the facts. Whether he's innocent or not is up to the creator.

apparently I still exist

Nathaniel walked into the detention center, glancing to the numbers on the cells, looking for the one where his client was kept.

"484, this is the one."

And yes, there he was. His client, Jacob Hudson, star player of the Marksville Jaguars.

"Mr. Hudson," he spoke, "I am Nathaniel Vyers, your defense attorney."

"Anyways, let's cut straight to the facts, shall we? I actually do not have anything to work with in this moment, so I would like you to tell me everything you know about the victim. Also, do not lie. Even if you did commit the murder, my job is to have the court find you innocent. If you lie, that will be harder."
THERE WAS A SIG HERE

IT'S GONE NOW

Always a hostile witness

Jacob was quiet as he met his lawyer. Did Veronica assign him? Or was this court-appointed. Either way, it didn't look like he was going to receive any other help today.

"Hi." He smiled at the lawyer.

"Ummm...the victim. Sure. Her name was Ashley Beaker, and well, she's a fan of mine. A huge one. She's always at every home game, and even follows us to away games. She's got this fantasy in her head that we're destined to be together or some such nonsense. Well, I'm not interested in her, and I'm married, so I try to let her down gently, but she doesn't seem to want to believe that. She sneaks into the stadium areas to leave me gifts, or try to talk to me, and no matter what I say to her, she just won't leave me alone. Heck, Veronica had to even file a restraining order on her. Still didn't stop her."

"Wait!" shouted Samuel at the woman that was walking away from him.
"Your one of the witnesses right? Sylvia something?"
Samuel waited for the woman to respond.
Nothing.

apparently I still exist

After hearing what his client had to say, Nathaniel shook his head and spoke.

"This tells me nothing. Do you know anything else about her? Family? Friends? Anyone? And, did you kill her?"

He subtly cracked his knuckles, crossed his arms and lowered his gaze before continuing.

"Even if you did, I would get you a not guilty verdict. However, knowing beforehand whether you did commit the crime would save me a lot of time looking for clues that do not exist."
THERE WAS A SIG HERE

IT'S GONE NOW

Always a hostile witness

"N-no!" Jacob protested. "I didn't, I really, really didn't!" He pleaded. This man was certainly strange. He didn't care whether or not he was guilty or innocent. Well, Jacob was innocent, he knew, so it didn't matter.

"The only thing that happened was we, well, struggled. After the game, I stuck around Veronica's office for a bit, and then I went to the locker room to change. Outside, I saw her. Like always, she ran over to me and grabbed me by the arm. I tried to pry her off, but it was definitely a struggle. She clawed at me, ripped my jersey. That girl is catty. After I got her off, I managed to get inside the locker room and lock the door. I waited there for about half an hour, then I went to see if the coast was clear. And...after that, I can't remember. I...I think someone hit me. When I woke up, the police were all around me."

"I know you said it doesn't matter, but you have to believe me! I didn't know anything about her personally, she was just obsessed with me. Some fans get like that, I guess, but she took it to extremes."

Sylvia turned to see the approching man, the same one who tracked mud into her recently cleaned staduim.

"W-What do you want!" she blubbered, her face turning red.

Tears began to drip off her cheeks as she crouched to the floor, her back to the wall, craddling her head in her hands.

Samuel held up his hands.
"I am the prosecutor" he said awkwardly.
"I want to ask you some questions about the night of the murder is that okay?"
He waited for her response.
Nothing.

Sylvia still blubbering on the floor, looked up, tears streaming from her eyes.

She pulled out an already damp hankercheif from the pocket of her apron and blew her nose.

She tried to lift her self but fell back down.

"G-go, ahead sir... a-ask away"

Samuel gave her a supportive smile.
"Eh okay then well I suppose you could start by telling me everything you know about the night of the murder"
Then you could tell me everything you know about the crime scene and then if there's anything else you want to tell me y'know about the defendant or victim or other witnesses please dont hold back"
Nothing.

With a restrained grunt, Solarius put out the cigarette directly on the 'no-smoking' sign that was outside, before tossing it into the nearby public ash tray. Seems that they didn't much care for their athletes inhaling cancer through a straw. With a hand, he moved a fair amount of his dark hair from his face, before reaching down and opening the door, stepping inside.

The air conditioning inside was a blessing, as though Solarius hadn't been outside all that long, the warm summer air had already started to get to him. His eyes glanced back and forth a few times, sweeping the hallway. He'd already been here once, when called onto the scene the night before, but sometimes a night of decent sleep worked better to uncover new clues than combing over a scene for hours on end, looking for anything and everything.

Turning to his right, the detective's languid strides brought him closer to the scene of the crime, as his only intention right now was to figure out exactly what had happened. Despite his often-gruff demeanor, Solarius was never trying to prove anyone guilty. He simply wanted to know what had happened, to find all clues and facts, so that there were no hidden areas of suspicion, nothing that was in the dark before the decision was made. He hated nothing more than finding a crucial piece of evidence the day after the trial had been wrapped up when the investigation crew were removing their things from the crime scene.

As he neared the scene, he saw a pair of semi-familiar faces, and let out a small grunt of recognition. Samuel McGregor, a prosecutor, and Sylvia Steel, the woman who had witnessed the crime, or so she said. "Sam," he said with a nod as he approached. The two had worked together before, though not too often, though it was Solarius' opinion that the prosecutor was often a bit too nice at times. Then again, using that kindness had gotten testimonies out of witnesses that Solarius hadn't been able to crack, so he couldn't fault the man for using such an approach.

"Unless you need me at the moment, I'll be at the crime scene," he offered, waiting for the man's response before he followed through on his actions.

Licensed Smartass

Veronica continued wading through the paperwork. Her desk was strewn with it. Even though the team wasn't practicing or playing during the investigation, she still had work to do. More of it in fact.

At the corner of her desk was a large file, stuffed with papers, it was the only thing that looked untouched on the desk. Inside was a list of the more promising rookies of that year, as well as a few others that were expected to be "on the market" after the season. If Jacob was convicted, she would have to replace him with someone new, she didn't have any other player that could really replace him for more then a season. "If" he was convicted. Veronica shook her head, angry at herself. It was too early to think about that. Things could surely work out for Jason.
So, I've been giving this egg business a shot. Click for glory!

Spoiler: Eggs and Hatchlings
Image Image Image Image Image

Last edited by Noble Savant on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samuel whipped around to see the man he had been waiting for for a while.
"huh? oh morning, Solarius. oh yeah do go to the crime scene i'll meet up with you in a few seconds"
He then turned back to Veronica.
Nothing.

Solarius nodded, before his eyes shifted back over to the cleaning lady. She was the only one to witness the murder, and she seemed pretty damn certain that it had been Jake. From what he knew, there was some history between the defendant and the victim, namely that she was a stalker with a restraining order against her. That, really, didn't put a lot of clout to the argument that Jacob didn't have any animosity towards her, which did point the finger in his direction.

So far, from fingerprints on the murder weapon to motive to witnesses, everything pointed that the suspect was the murderer. But as he knew all too well from working in this business...things were not always at they seemed.

"Sylvia just answer the man's questions so we can move on," he grunted, reaching into his coat for the pack of cigarettes, before realizing that he couldn't smoke inside the building. With a muted sigh, he put them back, eyes watching the two.

Sylvia jumped at the appearance of the second man… He wasn’t that bad looking!
She was about to introduce herself until she saw him fidgeting with a box of smokes in his pocket. What a immediate turn off, and a dirty habit.
She dabbed at her eyes again with the same tissue and tucked it away again in her pocket.
“Ok,” she started “The night of the crime, I was doing my usual rounds after that days game. At this time there was barley any one left in the stadium. I was nearing the men’s locker room when I saw her. The victim I mean. She was waiting outside of the door, and I knew who she was immediately!
Of course I don’t know her name but I know who she is. I have to continually shoo her out of the stadium and she sneaks back in anyway. What a nuisance! I was about to chew her out… again… It… happ-“
Sylvia stopped talking abruptly and started sobbing again, as the horrid images of the previous night flooded back.

Samuel grimaced 'he hated dealing with people who cried it always made him feel guilty for some reason.
"Erm it's alright just later maybe you can tell me some other stuff that your comfortable with when you've cooled off"
Samuel glanced apologetically at Solarius 'It wasnt a good idea to keep that detective waiting as he had learned during the few cases they had worked on together, Normaly detectives would bow at the prosecutors feet and suck up to them but Solarius was beyond that sort of thing if Samuel didnt know any better he would have thought he just didn't care.
"In the meantime heres my card it's got my cell phone number and my office number in bothe the prosecutors office and the police department so if you ring all three your bound to get me on one"
Samuel handed her the card and smiled at her before turning to Solarius.
"Detective good to see you, uh did you get the autopsy report yet?"
Nothing.

The man, waited and watching for Samuel to finish up questioning the witness. It wasn't that he was opposed to it, of course, but the woman had already given up a fair amount of information to him yesterday during the initial round of questioning when he'd been asked to investigate the first time. From what he'd heard, she was just retelling that which she'd already told him. There was more to the story when he'd practically forced it out of her, but he highly doubted any of the details were going to change with a second telling. There was only so much that could be rehashed.

"Well once you're done with me, you might wanna keep on her. The testimony she gave me doesn't matter much compared to the one she'll get from you, so if you catch any inconsistencies with the autopsy report, let me know. Speaking of, here," he said, handing a prosecutor a copy of the autopsy report.

Quote:
-Autopsy Report-

Name: Ashley Beaker
Time: 3:30
Cause:Victim died from a single knife wound to the chest, died nearly immediately. Had many small scratches and cuts on her arms and back, indicating a struggle.

"So far we've got one witness who saw the struggle, and that's Sylvia Steel right there, and then we got another who heard it and called the police around when the murder happened, and her name is Veronica Myers Hudson, wife to the defendant. Oh, right, here's this too," he said, handing over the murder weapon.

Quote:
-Murder Weapon-

Type: Utility Knife
Length: 4 inches
Owned by: Jacob Hudson (defendant)
Found: Lodged in victim's chest
Fingerprints found belonging to defendant are all over the handle.

"We've got a solid witness, a murder weapon, and a motive, Sam. Doesn't look like there's too much way for the Jaguar to escape the trap," he said with a slight shrug. "I haven't been back over to the scene yet, so I can go check that again if you wanna keep questioning Ms. Waterworks here," he said, his gaze flickering over Sylvia for a moment. "Or you can come with; it's up to you."

Samuel thought for a minute
"I don't know, I mean it cant be this simple there must be more to this case"
The prosecutor sighed, It almost felt like he was cheating with how easy this seamed.
"I want to accompany you on the investigation, I doubt she" Samuel indicated Veronica with his thumb "Has anything more to do with this case than we already know. also I want to find out more about the defendants wife we dont know a lot about her"
Samuel realized he was voicing his unnecessary thoughts and shut up.
"Erm so lets get investigating"
Nothing.

apparently I still exist

((Sorry for taking so long, real life showed up its ugly head and all. I'll be posting more often now))

"I see."

Nathaniel faced the other way.

"I have nothing to stand on. I need to investigate."

With that, Nathaniel left to the crime scene.
THERE WAS A SIG HERE

IT'S GONE NOW

Once more, Solarius reached habitually for his pack of cigarettes before sighing, remembering once more he wasn't allowed to smoke. Glancing to Samuel, he gave a shrug, his eyes flickering down to Sylvia. He had a feeling that the woman had seen something...more. Or something different than she was telling the police. She'd told them that she had seen the struggle, and even the murder itself. Once he got the Prosecutor talking with Veronica, he'd come back for a round two here with the cleaning lady.

"Alright then," Solarius said with a grunt as he pushed himself from the wall. "Veronica Myers Hudson, wife to the defendant. Her office should be down this way," he murmured, nodding down one of the hallways. "She's a little high-strung, so try not to get on her bad side, otherwise you're going to be seeing the outside of her office," he muttered, remembering his prior investigation of her. It hadn't gone well.

Samuel nodded and followed the detective thinking it ironic that he of all people would be telling him to be polite.
"Right okay then"
The two walked down the corridor until they reached a door which had a plaque which read "Manager's office" Samuel raised his hand and knocked on the door and waited for a response.
Nothing.

Licensed Smartass

Veronica heard the knock at the door. She had been expecting this actually, there was even a small note in her day-planner. Understandably though, with all the mess going on, it had slipped her mind. Understandable but unforgivable.

"Come in." She called out loudly. She patted her tight bun of brown hair and straightened her glasses. She needed to be presentable, even if her desk was chaos. It wouldn't do to look sloppy. She wondered if the prosecution be first? Or the defense?

Samuel turned the knob on the door and opened it.
He walked forward into the large-ish office..
The walls of the room was covered in filing cabinets each one had a label on it telling you what was contained in that cabinet.
There was a desk in the middle of the room with two chairs for visitors and one big chair for the manager.
The desk itself was cluttered with paper and files and sitting in the managers chair was a woman.
Her hair was tied up in a bun and she had the air of a woman who could crush you in a millisecond if you did anything in the slightest bit wrong.
"Miss Veronica Hudson? hello my name is Samuel McGreggor I am the prosecutor in charge of this case and this" Samuel indicated the detective behind him is Detective Solarius Raine he will also be investigating this case, erm do you mind if we sit down we would like to ask you some questions concerning the uh incident that occurred last night"
Nothing.

Solarius moved in behind Samuel, closing the door behind him. He nodded to Veronica, remembering her from yesterday, when he'd taken her statement. "Way to be assertive, Sam," Solarius murmured as his eyes took in the room, remembering most of the details from the other night. He didn't want to be too talkative, here, as his mouth had gotten him into a fair bit of trouble with her already, and he didn't want to jeopardize any part of the case.
But perhaps his friendly demeanor might win more points than Solarius had, so he stayed silent...for now. Once Samuel got to talking with Veronica he was going to quietly make his leave and head back to the crime scene. There had to be something...more.

Licensed Smartass

Veronica looked up at the two severely. "I have already had the pleasure of speaking to the detective." She said simply. "And it's Veronica Myers Hudson, Mr. McGreggor, please remember that."

Veronica had approved of the detective. He was efficient, even if he was a bit course. He had slipped up less then most people, and learned to stop slipping quickly when Veronica straightened him out. A professional to a satisfactory degree. What would this new man be like?

Veronica pushed the papers in front of her off to the side in a neat pile. "Sit down you two." She told them, pointing at the seats in front of her desk. "And ask your questions."

Samuel internally felt that he wanted to rip this womans face off for that comment about her name (It wasn't a major mistake since he was under the impression that Myers was her middle name and that he wants supposed to say that but she had to be a bitch about it and make him seem incompetent) one thing was for sure it was going to be difficult being "Nice".
He knew what to do though as he had encountered people like her many a time before
His job was to cut to the chase be totally formal and professional, make no nice talk and hopefully she would cooperate and take him seriously.
"Oh terribly sorry I was under the impression that Myers was a middle name" He grimace internally.
"Anyway I would like to ask you about what you were doing in the minutes leading up to the incident firstly. afterwards I would like you to tell me what happened and what you did when you heard the murder and finally I would like you to tell me more about the defendant and the victim"
He stopped talking and waited for her response, hoping that she thought that he was professional.
Nothing.

Licensed Smartass

"Myers is my maiden name sir." Veronica told the prosecutor simply.

"One question at a time, Mr. McGreggor." She looked hard at him. The man had asked all his questions all at once, a dreadful waste of breath in Veronica's opinion. She would answer the questions one by one, and allow him time to pose follow up questions. Basic interrogation. She didn't need to mention that asking what she had done beforehand was pointless. He could pick up on that much.

"After finishing up some work in my office, I headed down to the locker room to speak to Jason and Mr. Hodge about practice the following morning. On my way I discovered the cleaning woman, yelling about a murder. Naturally, I ran down to investigate the matter. When I arrived I found Jason and the victim. One was unconscious, one dead with a knife to her chest." She kept her eyes focused on Samuel, and her hands were rigidly clutched on the desk in front of her. "I didn't tamper with the crime scene and immediately phoned the police."

Sighing, Veronica unclenched her hands. "Is there anything else you wish to know about the discovery of the body?"

Solarius had not bothered to take a seat when she'd prompted him to, preferring to stand, for the moment. Sitting, in his opinion, was a waste of time, as it took more time and effort to get up and sit down than it did to simply remain standing. Even in his office, at the precinct, it was rare for him to sit down. Normally he'd lean over the desk, pouring over the documents or pacing back and forth in an attempt to think. The officers underneath of him often cracked jokes at his expense, but it normally didn't take more than a glare to cause them to keep quiet again.

At Samuel's rush of questions, the detective frowned. Apparently the prosecutor was having a bit of the jitters...that or he was frustrated as hell already, and the questions hadn't even really started. The man, however, listened to the woman speak, going over the details again in his mind, though he'd already heard them. The statement was virtually identical to the one that he received the day before, and once more, the one strange detail popped out at him. The one thread in this case that had been nagging at him since he'd heard the testimony.

"So, Mr. Hudson was unconscious when you arrived on the scene?" He wanted to make very certain on this point...as it could lead to perhaps unraveling the tapestry of mystery.

Licensed Smartass

Veronica nodded at the question, straight and to the point, even in these difficult circumstances. "He was detective. He and the victim were tangled up together, near the lockers. There are plenty of hanging pipes in that area." She left her statement hanging. She had no business interpreting what had happened, that was the job of the two in front of her.

"But you cant say for certain that it was the pipes. Was there anything else at the scene? any strange objects or something of that kind?"
And he hoped that she wouldn't correct him on this question otherwise he would just have her ask herself questions.
"Also where was Mr Hodge during all this?"
Nothing.

"Pipes, huh?" Solarius mused, running a hand along his jaw. He recalled nearly seeing stars after cracking his head on one of them...but he was a taller guy. "I don't think I looked into those too closely, last time I was here," he murmured, finding an excuse to go check the crime scene again. Surely there was something there that would shed a bit of light onto the strange position the victim and defendant and found themselves in.

"Hey Sam, you keep talking to Ms. Myers Hudson here," he spoke, careful to add in the maiden name. "I'm gonna head back over to the crime scene and see what I can dig up. I should still be over there if you need to go over anything." With that, he nodded to Veronica before leaving the room with a small sigh. What he wouldn't give for a woman like that. Then again, with the way she was defensive over her maiden name, perhaps that wasn't really the way to go. "Strange..." he muttered under his breath, but placed the thought pattern near the back of his mind. It might come in handy; but not now.

A few minutes later, (as he'd stepped outside for a quick smoke break,) he stood back on the crime scene, nodding to a few of the officers there. Taking a few steps forward to where the chalk outline was, he glanced upward, his eyes flickering over the pipes. "Hm..." he muttered as he examined them.

Licensed Smartass

"I can't be sure, Mr. McGreggor, but I can't count the number of times those things have fallen down on me when someone slammed a locker shut." Veronica rubbed her head, the ghost of an injury.

"Other then the lockers and the benches, the locker room was very empty. Jacob had left practice late, he must of been the last one there. As for Mr. Hodge-" Veronica shrugged. "-he must of been somewhere else. Perhaps he finished early."

"Perhaps he did" mused Samuel. Although he suspected the current suspect he found something suspicious about his absence.
"Who was the victim? Like what do you know about her? How obsessive of the defendant was she?"
Samuel was slightly skeptical about the murder motive since through his experience NOBODY could be obsessive enough for you to kill them, Maybe out of jealousy but that was technically a totally different motive.
Nothing.

Licensed Smartass

"Madam Beaker was... quite a piece of work, as they say." Veronica said. "It isn't enough to say that she is obsessive. She broke into the stadium multiple times to meet Jacob, and she resisted security most strenuously each time we caught her. After she led them on a chase around the entire compound, I was forced to file a restraining order against her." She sighed sadly. "The girl was barred from even attending games, not that it stopped her. She was very... Determined, to meet with my husband, for whatever reason."

"Wow that sounds like quite the stalker" Samuel scratched the back of his neck.
"Erm I know this next question might be a bit ....em forward? but do you think your husband has the capacity to kill?"
Nothing.
Page 1 of 3 [ 90 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Trials » Court House