Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kurain (GS2)

Page 10 of 13[ 488 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Re: My client, Matt Engarde, is...Topic%20Title

ZAWA ZAWA

Spoiler: Farewell, My Turnabout
Guilty.
Reasons?-
1. Matt Engarde is an evil human being and doesn't deserve to be unpunished and famous.
2. Maya herself would rather have Engarde incarcerated than have her own life, not to mention she probably wouldn't forgive Nick.
3. Adrian's life was on the line as well. I actually relate with Adrian a whole lot, that letting her be convicted felt like I was doing it to myself. This was probably the main reason why I chose guilty.

Gumshoe's secret admirer

Heeeeeeeeeeee's Guilty. Maya aside, I just couldn't let Adrian take the fall. That case is still one of my favourites though. So dramatic in all areas. :D
"Why yes! The post office is over there. Good day sir!"
"Mirror mirror, on the wall. Who's the smartest one of all? Wiiiiidget!"

Warning: This account is SuPer Admin Restricted Desktop Access password-protected.

A Seeker of Truth

Spoiler:
Guilty. Maya said herself that we shouldn't worry about her and not let Engarde get off scot free. In any case, I'd feel like a dirtbag if I condemned someone innocent to get a killer free, no matter how good a reason I had for it.

"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

Your Honor! There is a contradiction!

Spoiler: Case 2-4
A gigantic asshole. I mean Guilty.

I always switched around at the point when it made no real difference, because it made no real difference except a few lines here and there. But once I sat down and thought about the circumstances and how everything went down, I would have to say that Engarde is...

Not Guilty. He is not guilty of murdering Juan. He didn't kill him. Yes, he sent an assassin to do the job, but that makes him an accomplice to murder/instigator of murder. Not an "actual" murderer himself.

Then again, really, it feels kinda silly to give us the options of what to call him, considering... it makes no difference.

C-A

The cape is self-fluttering

CatMuto wrote:
I always switched around at the point when it made no real difference, because it made no real difference except a few lines here and there. But once I sat down and thought about the circumstances and how everything went down, I would have to say that Engarde is...

Not Guilty. He is not guilty of murdering Juan. He didn't kill him. Yes, he sent an assassin to do the job, but that makes him an accomplice to murder/instigator of murder. Not an "actual" murderer himself.

Then again, really, it feels kinda silly to give us the options of what to call him, considering... it makes no difference.

C-A

Well, the original topic wasn't asking if you thought that Matt's role qualified him as a murderer or not, it's established that even ordering a hit makes one guilty of murder. (At least in the AA-universe; in the real world, laws for proxy murder can vary by state and country.)

And while it's true that choosing the verdict doesn't change the outcome, Mia does bring up the topic after the trial. The point is that it's a terrible moment for Phoenix, who must make a difficult choice with the knowledge that his client is guilty as sin.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Y'know

The problem being here: No matter how much of a scum a defendant is, his lawyer must defend him, find room for doubt in regard to his guilt.

That's the very basics of lawyer's morals, the principle of fair trial... A lawyer, suddenly admitting his client's guilt without his consent... It would be inexcusable.

It might be justified by the fact that he himself was hired against his will, but had the situation be any other...? That would be just sick.

Quote:
The problem being here: No matter how much of a scum a defendant is, his lawyer must defend him, find room for doubt in regard to his guilt.

Actually, no lawyer is forced to remain with his client until the end of the trial. A lawyer can choose to revoke his helping of his client and terminate their contract. The reason can vary, ranging from the lawyer refusing to defend a client who constantly lies to him and makes him look like an unprepared fool in court or make his job more difficult, to the defendant being a complete ass... although the latter is something that is not good, as I'll say here.

Yes, Adrian in Black, the matter is not actually whether Matt is guilty of murder - whether he is the one who actually strangled him or simply hired someone to do it for him, it's an ethical problem. But that's the thing: Phoenix is a lawyer. He is not supposed to let his emotions get the better of him during trial. Work is Work. Private life is his private life. Even if the latter is mixed with the former, you're supposed to keep your cool.

So it technically shouldn't matter if Phoenix wants Engarde to burn for all the crap he's pulled, he should not let that influence his decision to have Engarde be called Guilty or Not Guilty.

C-A

Y'know

From the very beginning of the last day trial, the first testimony describes Matt's movements and cooperation with his hired assassin.

It's very obvious that the charge placed on him was changed.

And, resigning would be one way of settling it and one that is understandable, not like saying in the middle of a trial that your client is guilty...

Needless to say, I choose Not Guilty. There could be hope for Andrews, in best case scenario (had Franziska not arrived) the case would go unsolved, kind of like deMasque case. I also wasn't feeling alright with sacrificing Maya like that.

The second time, Not Guilty as well, but mostly because I knew he'd confess, as well as reasons stated above. Had he not confessed, it would be really problematic for Andrews, though...

Last edited by Nearavex on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nearavex wrote:
From the very beginning of the last day trial, the first testimony describes Matt's movements and cooperation with his hired assassin.

It's very obvious that the charge placed on him was changed.

And, resigning would be one way of settling it and one that is not understandable, not like saying in the middle of a trial that your client is guilty...

Needless to say, I choose Not Guilty. There could be hope for Andrews, in best case scenario (had Franziska not arrived) the case would go unsolved, kind of like deMasque case. I also wasn't feeling alright with sacrificing Maya like that.

The second time, Not Guilty as well, but mostly because I knew he'd confess, as well as reasons stated above. Had he not confessed, it would be really problematic for Andrews, though...

That being said, Phoenix DID get hired against his will, as really the only reason he agreed to the case is because Maya got kidnapped, so throughout the whole thing Phoenix's nerves are jacked up to 11, and even after De Killer says he'll free Maya, at that point, The Judge then asks Phoenix what his plea is, and after one of his most demanding and emotionally challenging trials in his life.

I wouldn't put it past Phoenix to throw professionalism out the window and hurl Matt to jail after the hell he put Maya and himself through.

CatMuto wrote:
Yes, Adrian in Black, the matter is not actually whether Matt is guilty of murder - whether he is the one who actually strangled him or simply hired someone to do it for him, it's an ethical problem. But that's the thing: Phoenix is a lawyer. He is not supposed to let his emotions get the better of him during trial. Work is Work. Private life is his private life. Even if the latter is mixed with the former, you're supposed to keep your cool.

So it technically shouldn't matter if Phoenix wants Engarde to burn for all the crap he's pulled, he should not let that influence his decision to have Engarde be called Guilty or Not Guilty.

C-A

Exactly. That trial was an eye-opener for Phoenix. He learned a lot of things all at once, including the fact that a client's defense isn't always so simple and that clients aren't always innocent. He had sworn to protect the weak and defenseless but instead found himself in a role that had him defending the bad guy, and being indirectly responsible for the death of at least one innocent woman. Whether or not Phoenix kept his cool, it doesn't change the fact that it was still a difficult decision for him to make.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Y'know

...and 9 years later, he still says "Believe in your clients, no matter what."

Nearavex wrote:
...and 9 years later, he still says "Believe in your clients, no matter what."

Yeah, unfortunately, he kinda decided to ignore the epiphany he had in the 2nd Game when it came to the 3rd Game... one reason why I do not like GS3 all that much. Then again, Phoenix is always portrayed as a very, very gullible idiot... reason why I like him in GS4, he was at least a bit more sceptical and suspicious there...

C-A

Ace Explorer

Adrian in black wrote:
Exactly. That trial was an eye-opener for Phoenix. He learned a lot of things all at once, including the fact that a client's defense isn't always so simple and that clients aren't always innocent. He had sworn to protect the weak and defenseless but instead found himself in a role that had him defending the bad guy, and being indirectly responsible for the death of at least one innocent woman. Whether or not Phoenix kept his cool, it doesn't change the fact that it was still a difficult decision for him to make.

It's been awhile since I played this case, but when did THIS happen?
Well? Are we going or what?

Gardevoir lover

AlonsoSwift wrote:
Adrian in black wrote:

Celeste impax's suicude

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Y'know

...Well, technically, we can't be sure he wanted her to commit suicide... We can be sure he wanted to ruin Celeste's and Juan's relationship, though.

AlonsoSwift wrote:
Adrian in black wrote:

Well, I'm referring to the point before Shelly breaks his contract with Matt. Before that point, whether Matt was found guilty or not guilty, then either Maya or Adrian would have died. (Well, technically, if Matt were found not guilty, then Adrian would have become the accused, and it would have gone to trial. But if we're going by "The Miracle Never Happen" then it's guaranteed that Adrian dies.)

...NAILED IT

Well, technically we can say she eventually died. After all, for one person in the 3rd Game, we can say for certain something.

Spoiler: T&T Spoiler
Dahlia. She was convicted five/six years ago, but was only executed for her murder of Doug Swallow a month before 3-5. So while Adrian was probably executed, it could've been years before it happened.

Of course, this going by the idea that Phoenix didn't eventually snap, run into her potential trial and yell, "I lied back then! It was all me! I lied to save my client!"

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Well, technically we can say she eventually died. After all, for one person in the 3rd Game, we can say for certain something.

Spoiler: T&T Spoiler
Dahlia. She was convicted five/six years ago, but was only executed for her murder of Doug Swallow a month before 3-5. So while Adrian was probably executed, it could've been years before it happened.

Of course, this going by the idea that Phoenix didn't eventually snap, run into her potential trial and yell, "I lied back then! It was all me! I lied to save my client!"

C-A

Phoenix states in the bad ending that it was a guilty verdict. But I suppose it doesn't rule out the possibility of an appeal.

I do wonder if, since it was such a high profile murder, Adrian would have been executed sooner. Nothing against Doug Swallow, but he just wasn't the Jammin' Ninja.

...NAILED IT

CatMuto wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately, he kinda decided to ignore the epiphany he had in the 2nd Game when it came to the 3rd Game... one reason why I do not like GS3 all that much. Then again, Phoenix is always portrayed as a very, very gullible idiot... reason why I like him in GS4, he was at least a bit more sceptical and suspicious there...

C-A

Spoiler:
Is he a gullible idiot again in GS5?

georgeho1987 wrote:
CatMuto wrote:

C-A

Spoiler:
Is he a gullible idiot again in GS5?

Spoiler:
Oh yeah

shippersdreamer wrote:
Spoiler:
Oh yeah

I would love to avoid being off-topic, but I can't post a new thread here, especially as a newbie. I would say that
Spoiler:
in GS2, he didn't seem too gullible, but he was "gullible" as often. He bluffs to appear "smart", but a player choosing wrong answers without penalty makes him unprofessional. I'd give him credit for memorizing testimonies more than any average player can. As for the "believe in your clients" stuff, Phoenix believed in Matt's confessions as a killer. And, saying that Matt's "Guilty" prematurely would violate Phoenix's "duty of confidentiality" (as in, to never reveal such fact or change pleas until further testimonies and evidence brought to light) and get him disbarred... right? (There is no such thing as attorney-client privilege or legal professional privilege in Japan). And... "believe in your clients" is a vague phrase. Does he meant, "Guilty or not guilty"? Well... he can mean any specific client as either one, "no matter what".

Back on topic: :guilty:

Guilty. Maya herself said she wanted him in jail.

MaskedMeans wrote:
Guilty. Maya herself said she wanted him in jail.

...because we have to do what Maya wants?
I dunno, that sounds kind of like a silly reason.

C-A

The video game boy; the one who wins

Her life/safety was at stake, so I'd think it's kind of natural to think about her opinion, the same way someone might choose "Not guilty" to get her free. But I guess that's a silly reason as well. And choosing "Guilty" because we know he did it is silly as well, because that's not your job as a defense attorney. And choosing "Not guilty" for that reason is silly as well, because he obviously wasn't. The only sane thing to do would be to turn the game off, hide it in a drawer and never bring up the issue again. :engarde:
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

No, I'd just expect there to be a... well, "better" reason. Like, I'd understand the reason of choosing Guilty because Matt is a total asshole.

C-A

The video game boy; the one who wins

Hahaha, so that is what makes a good reason? :hobolaugh:

My client is an asshole - guilty!
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

No, I mean, there I'd understand it. Call it a dislike of the superhero stuff, but I just don't think doing something for the sake of one woman is enough of a reason. Going through hell just for this one person... whatever happened to the idea of "the many outweigh the few"?

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
No, I mean, there I'd understand it. Call it a dislike of the superhero stuff, but I just don't think doing something for the sake of one woman is enough of a reason. Going through hell just for this one person... whatever happened to the idea of "the many outweigh the few"?

C-A

Does the factor in that Mia (or rather Pearly Channeling Mia) Is standing right there count?

Uh... no? Why?

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
Uh... no? Why?

C-A

Well, Mia is Maya's sister, and she's been friends/Phoenix's boss for god knows how long, and she's standing right next to him when he's given the choice...wouldn't that count as something?

Y'know

...You mean you didn't feel the pressure when a mentor you didn't want to disappoint was standing next to you, while you were going to either go against everything she taught you or choose to let her sister die?

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:

C-A

The fact that the few often have a good point? Many outweigh the few is far from a perfect philosophy. Besides how is this 'the many' it's just you and her and Mia involved in this. If anything Majority rules in Maya's favour because Mia certainly doesn't want that.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥

Matt Engarde will always be guilty to me. There are so many reasons to why he's guilty and whatnot.

The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions

시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에

Trivia 轉 : Seesaw

For justice I fight

I chose not guilty. I really was not gonna take that chance with Maya's life at stake. ( of course Franzie saved the day though)

Fradrian shipper

I chose guilty. I cannot let him go like that, that horrible guy. He destroyed too much lives (Celeste, Juan, Adrian, maybe more ?). I knew Maya wouldn't die so my choice was fast actually

Ace tea maker

Spoiler:
i love maya, but guilty. Matt has to of been the most annoying and conniving client ever. And to make me feel even more safe with my decision,maya gave us the go ahead...though I still felt bad. Until things began working put in the end.

Praise space ghost :acro: :acro:

IT'S HAPPENING

I PICKED GUILTY THE FIRST TIME

CAUSE I WAS COMPLETELY SPOILED AND KNEW IT DIDN'T MATTER

RAAARWRGH WHY SPOILERS!!!

*cough*

Second time I picked Not Guilty just to see Matt squirm. :basil: :scratch:

Worthless Witness

Not Guilty. I wanna keep up that winning streak, you know?

Y'know

I... still don't get how Phoenix saying "guilty" there could do any good - just because he gives up on a trial doesn't mean it's enough to convict a defendant.

To the contrary, the judge has pretty much made up his mind there - saying guilty wouldn't save or convict anyone, since even Edgeworth couldn't come up with a proof of Engarde's guilt.

Actually, I think it would seal fates of both Maya and Adrian. Adrian would be found guilty and Maya would be killed for Phoenix's outburst.
Page 10 of 13 [ 488 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kurain (GS2)