Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kurain (GS2)

Page 1 of 1[ 6 posts ]

2-3 - Story originsTopic%20Title

迷探偵

As I was reading The Edogawa Rampo Reader, I came upon a essay ("An Eccentric Idea") by Edogawa about tricks used in detective literature and part of it was very familiar:

An Eccentric Idea, page 204 wrote:
There is a circus with a lion tamer who regularly pries open the jaws of the lion and puts his head inside the lion's mouth. One performance in a thousand turns fatal. One day the lion tamer puts his head in the lion's mouth before a crowd, when something goes terribly wrong - the lion clamps shut its jaws on the man's neck. In the blink of an eye, the lion tamer is dead. It is strange for such a well-trained lion to bite its master, but when the matter is investigated, a witness materializes who claims to have seen the lion wrinkling its nose and laughing right before the murder took place. It's truly frightening to think of a lion laughing. (...) Unbeknownst to the lion tamer, the man sprinkled sneezing powder in the lion tamer's hair. When the lion tamer puts his head in the lion's mouth, the lion sneezes, which causes the lion to snap his mouth shut just as the man anticipated.
(The original story is "The Lion's Smile" by Thomas W. Hanshew)

I was kinda surprised to find this, the Gyakuten Saiban series surely uses stock-mechanics of the genre, but I never expected to find a complete trick lifted from a story ^_~' (Well, at least it was the motive storyline, and not the main trick)

Edit: dang typos.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: 2-3 - Story originsTopic%20Title

Strawberry Wine is a very epic thing.

Hmms, that is very interesting! I wonder if they used that sort of idea?

I like chocolate milk. 8D

Avatar and sig made by the awesome Vicki, and Robyn sprite in avatar made by Sammy.
Thankyou!! <333

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです

Wow, that story just got jacked. Very original, Capcom. :gant-clap2:

But imagine if they never heard of that story before. Wouldn't that be a freaky coincidence?
Thank you ILoveMaxGalactica* for the signature~

迷探偵

It would be a very freaky coincidence. But while I doubt the GS writer knew about the original story, I think it's very possible they read this essay by Edogawa Rampo (the father of Japanese mystery literature). Edogawa wrote two excellent essays ("An Eccentric Idea" being a supplement to the larger, better "Collection of the Classification of Tricks" ) which simply grouped tricks used in detective literature (e.g. locked rooms, switching of identity) and gave examples. In Japanese mystery circles, it is quite a famous essay and it is often recommended to new writers to read it due to its comprehensiveness.

I have read a lot of detective literature and this was the first time I encountered such an instance of copying ("plagiarism") in the GS series. Makes me wonder if other tricks were borrowed from other stories.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Klavier: God of Prosecution

Wow, GJ Capcom :gant-clap:

Y'Know what they say: "Intellegent borrows, Genius Steals..."
Proudly taught some the word 'Yonks' the day I joined.
Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Kurain (GS2)