Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 2 of 4[ 154 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Re: Forums go Boom!Topic%20Title

Jammin' like it's 2024

Reading this topic put a huge smile on my face for many reasons, including the response to a PM I just got back. I deserved it, that's all I'll say. Sorry. ^^;

Having had time to sleep and read this thread though, I have a suggestion:

Do not reopen the Big Berry Circus. Ever.

It's not needed. What is needed, I think, is a place to get the various groups that hang out in specific subsections of the forum to meet up in one place and get to know each other better. If this is through forum games, great, but they'd have to be Ace Attorney themed and pre-approved, or we'd just get a BBC2 killing the forums again.

How about an Ace Attorney Fandom Directory? We all know there are a lot of creative people in this fandom with a lot of creative ideas, some of them too big and complex to be hosted here effectively. You could just add a links page to the main site, but that wouldn't do the job - once a forum gets as popular as this, lots of people spend all their time here and none on the site itself, so no-one would see the links. On the other hand, if you allow specific major projects to promote themselves here under strict guidelines, it would gather support for some of the best and brightest projects in the community, help silly closed-minded people like me discover more about the fandom and most importantly would give people that place to meet up with a common interest.

Yes, this could be problematic if you allow any old project to showcase itself, so guidelines would be needed to make sure nothing that can harm the site is promoted on the forums and the Directory doesn't become a second Press Conference full of annoying ads. It's just an idea, but given that the majority of the fandom comes here at one time or another, having CR double as the community hub and the community index might work nicely. What do you think?
Does we even do these things anymore?

Deputy of Self-Esteem

MoronSonOfBoron wrote:
And... what exactly could you have in a CR forum store that doesn't break copyright law? :meekins:

Technically, the existence of a fansite itself is a violation of copyright laws, as are fanfiction and the lot.

Anyways, we're trying to get advice from our friends at Capcom.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Luke: Layton's #1 Apprentice

WE have FRIENDS at CAPCOM?!?!

Wow.
Web developer by night, school student by day. That's how I roll.

Two more games coming up soon

(The quote is from Croik, but this is mostly a reply to Pie.)
Quote:
I do not consider Court Records to be in competition with anyone. If closing the BBC means that CR will from now on be a smaller community comprised of people NOT posting a constant wall of single sentence posts, I am perfectly satisfied with that. And I have nothing against other AA sites starting and growing (hence the affiliates section). Of course I want CR to continue to be a place that people enjoy, but there are plenty of places on the internet for you to play forum games. And until we can work out our hosting details *exactly,* this is our best option at the present moment.

Good thing to hear. Funny thing is, I also used to be in the Pomon fandom. In fact, I was one of the main admins (only 6 months, actually but I was part of the "team" for about 2 years or so) in one of the most popular 'mon websites in France and possibly in Europe - at least, that's what they'd like you to think :p

The forum has way over 9 000 members (last time I checked, over 40 000). It's rather difficult to make sure everything is going well, because the forum's "identity" depends mostly on few (generally older, but not necessarily wiser) posters while most of the members are die-hard fans but very young and immature when it comes to friendly and sensible conversation. Still, the team's doing a pretty good job keeping the community together.

Unfortunately, they have a really lousy webmaster. To quote Will Powers, he can't do any webmaster things right at all.
He manages to be both lazy and autocratic - everything must go through him. Because of this, nothing ever gets done. He never even visits the forum ; the website's contents are poor at best; bugs are never fixed; and still, because of an aggressive business-oriented approach, there are thousands of new visitors every year. He doesn't care about the community; he only cares about making money. That's right, "he": half of it goes to the server; he's spending the other half on new phones, video games, CDs, you name it. Many key members have left ; many mods have resigned. Pointless nostalgia aside, pretty much everyone agrees that the forum is in severe decline.

My point being: bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. An ambitious website doesn't necessarily mean a first-rate website. Don't get me wrong, ambition is okay - but only in "real life". Anyone who thinks he can make a living out of a website is seriously mistaken - it would be like winning the lottery. The sole purpose of a fandom is to bring together people that share a same passion, no matter how many of them there are. In my opinion, quality should prevail over quantity. I like CR's no-nonsense approach.
Creator of Apollo Justice Case 5: Turnabout Substitution: Trailer - Download
Co-creator of New Year's Turnabout, Turnabout Revolution, and At Dawn's Break

e × e = e²

I get the stubborn feeling that you misinterpreted Pie's statements, but I'm in no mood to dissect arguments right now. ಠ_ಠ

Before more TLDRs get dropped here, I think everyone agrees that more can, should, and will be done about generating more intra-community dialogue, yes?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Jammin' like it's 2024

Ping' wrote:
My point being: bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. An ambitious website doesn't necessarily mean a first-rate website. Don't get me wrong, ambition is okay - but only in "real life". Anyone who thinks he can make a living out of a website is seriously mistaken - it would be like winning the lottery.

http://www.penny-arcade.com :P

Granted, that's an unusual example, but the point is that it is possible to make a living based on a website, but as you correctly point out, most of it is based on luck.

Quote:
The sole purpose of a fandom is to bring together people that share a same passion, no matter how many of them there are. In my opinion, quality should prevail over quantity. I like CR's no-nonsense approach.

Agreed, but what some members seem to be concerned about at the moment is how broad the definition of "people that share a same passion" used by the CR team is and what that means for the site in the long-term. :)

(Can't please everyone...)

Also, bah, I'm making very little sense, today...

nuuuuu, stoooooop

I really don't want any section or group of the community to feel cast out or repressed or anything like that. I really do appreciate everyone pitching in with their support and suggestions (when they're constructive - no hard feelings, Boss V?).

But if the reason people want the BBC or other sections is because there's just not enough AA stuff to talk about between games, the way I see it, the solution isn't to promote unrelated forum games, but to promote more AA related ones. Things like fic and art challenges, collab projects, case makers, things that not only keep us busy and happy, but show Capcom more and more how much we're dedicated to the franchise. We're not just twiddling our thumbs between games, we're chomping at the bit for them!

I already have a few things in mind as I type this, but at the moment I'm too busy looking into server solutions (and real life, eek) to get anything major off the ground just yet. But I'm going to talk to the other mods about intensifying our admin presence, and possibly setting up an open chat session for users to come and share their ideas and suggestions. Like Gerk said, this site is not a democracy - but we do value your imput.

How else am I going to get you to donate money? (jk jk :edgy: )

Boss - as for your suggestion of a "fandom directory" are you suggesting maybe a Wiki of some kind? There's so much in the evidence sections that it gets hard sometimes for people to find what they want (especially now that the search function is off).
ImageImage

Jammin' like it's 2024

Croik wrote:
I really don't want any section or group of the community to feel cast out or repressed or anything like that. I really do appreciate everyone pitching in with their support and suggestions (when they're constructive - no hard feelings, Boss V?).

B-but I was trying to be constructive... :larry:

Heh. I'm that guy - the one that acts a pompous ass to get people to stop and listen, even if they end up strongly disliking me because of it. I'm notorious for making terrible first impressions. ;)

(I saved your reply: it was a marvellous bitchslap to the face. n_n)

Quote:
Boss - as for your suggestion of a "fandom directory" are you suggesting maybe a Wiki of some kind? There's so much in the evidence sections that it gets hard sometimes for people to find what they want (especially now that the search function is off).

...The problem with establishing a Wiki, though a good idea in theory, is that people will need to know about it and want to look it up to begin with. Eventually you'd end up with a dedicated forum community and a dedicated wiki community whining and constantly complaining at each other, which is the one thing this community can't afford, as we're in a lucky position where such bad blood is almost nil.

The other problem is that a Wiki is very formal and impersonal: I was thinking of a dedicated forum section where project leaders and their staff could meet and greet with forum members to gather interest for each project.

Quote:
I already have a few things in mind as I type this, but at the moment I'm too busy looking into server solutions (and real life, eek) to get anything major off the ground just yet. But I'm going to talk to the other mods about intensifying our admin presence, and possibly setting up an open chat session for users to come and share their ideas and suggestions. Like Gerk said, this site is not a democracy - but we do value your imput.

This may be a bad time to bring this up, but for a while some members I spoke to were growing concerned that our mod and admin team were growing steadily more detached from the community and the site - some have gone inactive, and some give off an air of not caring anymore. It seems to be a matter of appearances - what it looks like is going on (the reason for my PM in the first place, whoops) and what actually is going on are completely different.

There's also the simple fact that due mostly to inactive and/or lurker staff, the forum is understaffed for a community of its size. Some sections of the site actually feel unmoderated and forgotten. :(

Quote:
But if the reason people want the BBC or other sections is because there's just not enough AA stuff to talk about between games, the way I see it, the solution isn't to promote unrelated forum games, but to promote more AA related ones. Things like fic and art challenges, collab projects, case makers, things that not only keep us busy and happy, but show Capcom more and more how much we're dedicated to the franchise. We're not just twiddling our thumbs between games, we're chomping at the bit for them!

/sign :P

...Now to the awkward bit. This needs to be said.

It's an example you're sick of, I'm sure, but the Mafia game had an odd kind of "member gravity" - it pulled in a diverse group of people from a large cross-section of the site's userbase and brought them together, exactly in the way I had described. It was a unifier in many ways: friendships have been formed by that game that would never have existed otherwise, and that's what this community was (and is) all about - bringing people together.

All other elements notwithstanding, it has been made clear multiple times that Mafia was an anomaly round here - one of the few elements of this board that the admin team did not understand nor take interest in and this has shown in past decisions that seemed to make no sense to anyone in the know. This was the biggest issue with me: your decisions were difficult to accept because they screamed of being made by someone who neither understood the situation nor appreciated the work under discussion.

Also, your wording so far implies that you consider my work and Bee's "not creative nor relevant to Ace Attorney" which is both untrue and insulting, and I can bring forth mountains of evidence to support this point. You're acting like the game is a virus infesting your website, which was neither our intent nor true. :/

Saying that, if in the long-term this issue is to be solved amicably, it will require Mafia to be revised significantly to become a more cohesive element of this forum. I, and many others, have invested a great deal of time and effort in what has now become a full-fledged project, and to see it killed because of... "unfortunate circumstances" would neither be good for this community nor an ideal solution.

That project is but one of many though. Taken in of itself, it does not nor did it ever deserve special treatment, but currently both admin attitudes and forum design imply that CR is dismissive and unwelcoming of external AA-related projects. Though this is not true - I know it and most of the members here know that deep down - the fact is, right now it feels like a great deal of the fandom is not welcome here, and I am convinced this is not your intent.

Each of us project workers needs to be more attentive to their responsibilities in being hosted, officially or unofficially, by this forum, and in turn you need to pay more attention not just to those nice folks at Capcom, but the community you have forged here. :)

Wow: look, no one word posts!

Mafia was a great idea. It involved many people in the forums (and kept them actively checking back).

However, the problem with short posts is still a problem. And also at the moment, we must be _EXTREMELY_ well behaved right now to stop being killed again. Our server resources usage is currently under close scrutiny. I can think of at least one way to stop people clicking refresh every 15 seconds (i.e. email reply notifications - not necessarily done by this server).

Much of the mod community does appear to have wandered off to pastures new and forgotten about here (I'm not sure if this is true or not, but...).

In short - I dunno.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Quote:
It's an example you're sick of, I'm sure, but the Mafia game had an odd kind of "member gravity" - it pulled in a diverse group of people from a large cross-section of the site's userbase and brought them together, exactly in the way I had described. It was a unifier in many ways: friendships have been formed by that game that would never have existed otherwise, and that's what this community was (and is) all about - bringing people together.

This site is about bringing people together who are Ace Attorney fans. I'm sure we could bring in lots of new people who wouldn't normally have met if we opened more sections for specific games and unrelated activities. But this is not a social networking site, nor is it a site just for gamers in general. When people first started telling me that the mafia game was drawing new people to the forum just to play it, my first gut reaction was, "That's not what I want." I want people to come here for AA. If that means more mods (which we're working on) and more sections and scheduled chat sessions and such, I'm more than willing to put energies into those.

I'll admit that my knowledge of the mafia game is limited, but given our current circumstances it just isn't something I want to promote here at the moment.
ImageImage

e × e = e²

The negative impression is possibly my fault entirely. At the time of the discussion of assistance with CR Mafia's thread management, I had mentioned these "outsider" players in the hopes that "drawing in new members" would be seen as a positive thing, especially when the project was entirely AA-themed (and thus generating some curiosity and interest in the game series proper for those who were initially unfamiliar). I was not under the impression that you opposed the game entirely on this one principle.

As an AA fan project, one of what I trust will be many, I hope that it will remain within your considerations for these future "community gathering" points, especially in the manner that Boss Velotix stated. Many of the players I've dealt with during my CR Mafia tenure, I had never encountered or thought to engage in the various other sections of the forum. With CR Mafia, I became familiar with some of their interests. We had people from the PW Musical, some sprite manipulators, writers, general gamers, all people who had originally stuck to their own parts of the forum now gathering around a new opportunity to interact with each other.

With the forums currently split as they are, there is a general fear that the game's population will dwindle or stagnate on the invisionfree forum, unable to attract new interest or players. A grand majority of new players were not from outside of Court-Records.net, they wandered in from other parts of the forums.

I look forward to the day CR Mafia can earn its title, but as stated throughout this thread, we will simply have to wait for the technology and upkeep to catch up before considering any of these community activities.

Jammin' like it's 2024

Croik wrote:
This site is about bringing people together who are Ace Attorney fans.

This is the critical mistake behind this entire misunderstanding: to my knowledge, every person who played the game was an Ace Attorney fan prior to the game's start. Fully understanding the game required being familiar with the series, so it was unlikely to attract anyone else. The game mainly attracted long-term members of the board who had gotten a little bored with other goings-on around the site, including a few people intimidated by the whole Mafia affair. :P

Quote:
When people first started telling me that the mafia game was drawing new people to the forum just to play it, my first gut reaction was, "That's not what I want." I want people to come here for AA.

The majority of the people joining the board to play Mafia were members of smaller rival AA forums prior to joining this place, and many of them have since settled in and become members of the site as a whole. Round VI saw a small influx of members from a bilingual site known as "Ace Attorney Online" drawn here by the game. About half of them decided to stay and now post all over the board. Granted, you're always going to get one or two leeches who come here for one thing and then leave again, but that'll happen with anything. The recent "borrowing" of an Apollo image by DreamHost for one of their ads springs to mind. ;)

Quote:
I'll admit that my knowledge of the mafia game is limited, but given our current circumstances it just isn't something I want to promote here at the moment.

Contrary to my own gut reaction, it would indeed be irresponsible to worry about the fate of a forum game in the immediate future, but it nevertheless remains a symptom of a larger problem that I'm trying to address here with these posts. :)

As to the immediate and not-too-distant future:

Quote:
If that means more mods (which we're working on) and more sections and scheduled chat sessions and such, I'm more than willing to put energies into those.

Yay, YAY and YAY! :D

You're going to have no trouble finding people willing to moderate here, though I wonder how many of those people willing to moderate will actually be able to handle it? :/

(If this sounds like I'm implying I want the job myself, that would be a very bad idea and we all know it. These last twenty-four hours have proven that I'm far from qualified. ;P)

Ready to RAWK!?

We're PW fans, sure, but the reason for the BBC is not only for the "Single-Word Posts" but also for an "escape". Lets face it, Forum Games are extremely important on any forum. I've been on many forums in the past and each one had Forum Games, but to their credit, and to yours, Lady Croik, each of their member lists reached to about 100-250 members on each of them, whereas this has under 9000 members... and about 1000 frequenters of the forums, on Daily. (I'M NUMBER ONE! *shot*)

The problem is, these "games" are used because there's not a lot of entertainment on the forums, and before people rag on me about it, if you have EVER posted on the "former" BBC, I'll attack you like a Rabid Pitbull if you try crossing swords with me! :edgeworth:

But I digress... Phoenix Wright-related business is here, but I doubt anyone logged onto here with the sole purpose of posting on the "Sig Above Yours" topic... As the person who FORMERLY was the most frequent Forum Poster (I have 7777 posts at the moment this is being typed, Second to Tails, as the image I will post at the END of this post, in fact, of the Top 5 Posters), I know this well, that we COME for the PW, stay for the games and... for the PW! I mean, L.C.! If your intention was to simply keep our goals on PW, you would've closed down Wright & Co., Global Studios, and the Police Station, along with the BBC!

The BBC is used as an "Escape" from the other places on the forum, and nothing more. I got a bit attached to it, but I recently continued in posting on the ACTUAL TOPICS in order to get attached to PW again. I even started re-playing each case in order of Game Creation!

The PW Series is amazing, but there's only so much one can say about it, much like Life, really... but every once in a while, we each like to lay out Court Records down, put all Logic off to the side, and watch as we screw each other over on the Mafia Game. :sassy:

... And that's my rant. And now, for my image:

Spoiler: I MISSED TAGGING THINGS TO SAVE SPACE!!!

Image Image Image Image
Posted by Request.
Sig by Elriel. Avatar taken from a YouTube video of Rawk Hawk's Theme.
Sig changed on December 08, 2008. Avatar changed on December 14, 2008.

Mistress Game Master

Dear Croik and Company:

Friends, Romans, fellow countryman, lend me your ear. I come with an Idea, an Option, and if it turns out to be too much of a TL;DR post, then...

Well, read it anyway. :yuusaku:

I think, fellow people, that the lack of knowledge is one of the greatest things that hinder us in our way to progress.

From a person who knows very little about technology and shit, I can see two problems:

I. The One-Word Posts and Other Spammy Stuff in the BBC
II. The So-Called "Intelligent" Games in the BBC, Most Notably "Mafia"

Therefore, please observe my thoughts on the following two matters:

I. The Problem: I agree with Croik, and with the other posters here, that the BBC was too filled with one-word posts, constant refreshing, and silly other things like that. If those are as damaging to the site as you all say, then by all means, please, get rid of them. I know that I, personally, would rather have an AA site without spam than no AA site at all; getting rid of such spam-games is an excellent idea.

However.

That does not mean that certain games--and, yes, here, I am referring to Mafia--did not have an "intellectual value," a value of skill, cunning, deception, and testimony found only in a similar game and the reason we are all here in the first place:

Ace Attorney.

Therefore, I have tried to come up with a Solution, as stated below:

II. The Solution: I am promoting the idea of a new subsection to Court Records, completely different than the Big Berry Circus. I remember in the "good old days" of the BBC where permission was needed to create a game, and I am proposing this be reinstated, but with a higher level of "precautions."

In order to have a Game on this Critical Thinking Subsection, the following Rules should be in effect:

1. A Proposition, drafted by the Game's "figurehead"--to give an example, MoronSonofBoron would draft the Proposition for Mafia--that explains the Game. This Proposition would detail the Game's Rules, Laws, Necessary Facts, and, most importantly, how this Game is different than a normal spam-game deleted in the Great BBC Purge of 2008.

The Game must be relevant in some way to Ace Attorney--through either using its characters, the script, or skills used in Ace Attorney games, such as forging evidence sniffing out lies and holes in testimony.

2. A Petition, agreed to by a large majority of Members of Court Records, voicing their support for the creation of this Game. This would promote the idea that CR is a "community fandom," and not simply a site run by the "disinterested" Moderators and Administrators. (Not to say that ya'll ARE disinterested, which, for the record, I do not).

3. A Trial Run. During a Round of Mafia I ran--Rookie Killer Mafia--I proposed the idea of "Shadows." These Shadows would have little-to-no effect on the Game itself, but would sit back, relax, and enjoy learning the behind-the-scenes perspective of how the Game is run.

In order for a Game to go into this Critical Thinking Subsection, a Trial Run would need to be hosted--even on the Invisionfree websites, should the Team not want to Run so many on CR's site--and "Shadowed" by a Moderator or an Administrator.

If the Game is found to be "suitably intellectual," and in compliance with the Rules and Goals stated in the original Petition, then the Game should be moved into Court Records' official "Critical Thinking Games Subsection."

If the Game is not, then it remains on the Invisionfree site, or the game itself is abandoned.

This way, Moderators and Administrators are well-informed of games such as, yes, Mafia, and other Critical Thinking Games.

This idea would also promote other Games based on Court Records and Ace Attorney, that would keep the site both busy and intelligent.

After all, as we say during every Mafia game: Deadlocks are good for the Town! Critical Thinking is the Key to Success!

-DahliaXKristoph

Signature and avatar by Mme. Vicki.

This silt just got real

The problem with only bringing back Mafia is that there were a far wider group of people who preferred the 'more spammy' threads. Mafia may be a 'more intellectual' game, but it's still just that: a game. And taking into account the most recently completed round, which encompassed more than 60 players and about 270 pages, you have to admit that the players' refreshing and posting would have caused quite a strain on the server.
I don't think that having any games on the forum is the way forward, at least for now. If we bring one thread back, other people will want their threads back and it will only generate complaints and too much activity on the site.

(I hope that made sense.)

Quote:
It is a shame about the BBC (why do I think British Broadcasting Corporation every time I see it posted? XD) for the people that used it.

I always do this. When I first read the 'BBC chatroom' thread, I actually thought it was a chatroom that the British Broadcasting Corporation had sponsored for us. Looks like I need to read board titles more often!

DahliaXKristoph: That seems like a reasonably good idea.
However, I also agree with Caitlin in that we'd then have various problems.

I'd like to volunteer to be a mod, but the only thing I'm really good at is tech support/PHP coding.

e × e = e²

Minor contradiction between mine and Boss Velotix's testimony:

The "outsider players" who had joined CR to play Mafia were in fact AA fans beforehand, but had not wanted to join the CR forums proper. The CR Mafia game is what finally caught their interest to the degree that they became part of the CR community. To some people it seemed as though complete outsiders had gravitated out of the wilderness to parasitize CR.

Ready to RAWK!?

I have a solution: Keep the OLD FORUMS as the BBC, and take away this one... It's a bad theory, but it's functionable at the moment! It'd also make the Mafia Game be able to resume, would it not?
Image Image Image Image
Posted by Request.
Sig by Elriel. Avatar taken from a YouTube video of Rawk Hawk's Theme.
Sig changed on December 08, 2008. Avatar changed on December 14, 2008.

Past & Future

I came to this site on accident while looking for AA sprites. I never knew it had a forum until much later. Like previously mentioned, I came from Ace Attorney Online, a French website that was the first site I joined. I later came here eventually after finding the Forum section. The first thing I posted here...was my sprite sheet. I was here mostly for the Sprite community. I am not master at it. I still have lots to learn. But if you look at where I spend most of my time (other than the BBC due to Mafia), it is the Sprites and Sprite Comics sections.

I am deeply involved in the PW universe. It is a remarkable fandom to be sure. As far as the BBC is concerned (since this conversation is all about it and the Mafia game in general), I believe it should be reinstated with the same reasoning as DxK above suggested. There were restrictions placed, but I honestly don't think they were really enforced and that some of those spamming topics that could have contributed to the issues on the site might have been avoided. I think games should be made ONLY if they have PW related material in them. Things like "How are You Feeling?" or "Ban Above Poster" or "Say Something about Above Sig/Avatar" should not be allowed in for now. If Roleplays are allowed that have PW materials, Forum Games with PW materials should have that same right.

If you need to, recruit more moderators for that area. If a post is made without moderator support, lock it. If it continues from the same person, ban him/her. It might take longer for certain Forum Games to start before getting approved, but it might help against spamming games that have no relevance to PW and you might see a difference in that.

Also...if you want PW material only here, perhaps you should also remove other areas in the forum that has non-related PW sections. It doesn't matter if they don't have that much traffic there, it is a principle of being fair and impartial.

That's all I will say about that unless I need to comment once more or I'm questioned in someway. I am interested to see how the site moves from this. Not everyone is going to be pleased, but hopefully it will be enough not to lose too many of the base that made this site what it is.

CR Mafia VI: Vanilla - Townie (Hit Night 7) : WIN
Rookie Killer I: Maya Fey - Townie (Hit Night 2) : ???

Yup

Location: In a sphere watching you every action plotting your death or a tea party

lukegb wrote:
DahliaXKristoph: That seems like a reasonably good idea.
However, I also agree with Caitlin in that we'd then have various problems.

I'd like to volunteer to be a mod, but the only thing I'm really good at is tech support/PHP coding.

I think considering the amount of members here and the amount who would want to be a mod, the only way to choose mods is to make an application. All who would want to be a mod would fill it out. Then if the admins approve the application, finalists will be posted. Then the members would be aloud to PM admins saying who they think is responsible enough to handle the job and why? Though it's totally up to the Admins on how they will pick their mods.

Super Ace Attorney

Croik wrote:
Quote:

This site is about bringing people together who are Ace Attorney fans. I'm sure we could bring in lots of new people who wouldn't normally have met if we opened more sections for specific games and unrelated activities. But this is not a social networking site, nor is it a site just for gamers in general. When people first started telling me that the mafia game was drawing new people to the forum just to play it, my first gut reaction was, "That's not what I want." I want people to come here for AA. If that means more mods (which we're working on) and more sections and scheduled chat sessions and such, I'm more than willing to put energies into those.

I don't know much about mafia, but couldn't Non-AA roleplaying end up in a similer boat? It's just that that might be less popular. Sure this should be a place for AA fans, but not all we do here has to be AA related does it?
Jesus is Lord.

Death Note is awesome.

"No, this is a reasonable discussion about pillow humping." -Tinker

I may or may not be here.

*downs a cappuccino* (Not cocoa!) =O

If I may add, I can see one temporary solution. I don't know how possible it is but what if we made it so the BBC section on the index was directly linked to the invisionfree forum?
And then used the invisionfree for our BBC for a while while we still try to work things out?
I agree that all forums need an escape section, where people can unwind and maybe learn more about their fellow members.

I know you want to encourage more AA discussion but there is only so much to talk and speculate about.
And some times something can come up in the middle of one of the games, a "what if?" that sparks a whole new, unexplored idea.
Add to that the getting to know people, the first topic I posted in regularly was the "Say something nice about the poster above you" topic.
I made many friends in that topic, people who I probably would never have met otherwise.
I think we need to do 2 things.

1) Find a temp solution.
2) At the same time start working on a permanent solution.

This is a decision that will effect the community, and everyone needs to be involved with it.
We need input from every active member. Wee need to do what is best for the community as a whole and we need to have the community unified in what we do.

And I just want to add that I'm willing to help any way I can. Be it as mod, or forumer trying to keep the peace, I am willing to do what I can.
ImageImage

Yo Dawg!

I can help. Im on this forum in my free time. and most of my time is free time. so Im able to help!

I also think Señor Serrot's idea on hotlinking the BBC is a good idea too.

Super Ace Attorney

I might be willing to be a mod, though I don't have any mod-experience, just message board experience.

Ghaleon von Karma wrote:
I came to this site on accident while looking for AA sprites. I never knew it had a forum until much later. Like previously mentioned, I came from Ace Attorney Online, a French website that was the first site I joined. I later came here eventually after finding the Forum section. The first thing I posted here...was my sprite sheet. I was here mostly for the Sprite community. I am not master at it. I still have lots to learn. But if you look at where I spend most of my time (other than the BBC due to Mafia), it is the Sprites and Sprite Comics sections.

I am deeply involved in the PW universe. It is a remarkable fandom to be sure. As far as the BBC is concerned (since this conversation is all about it and the Mafia game in general), I believe it should be reinstated with the same reasoning as DxK above suggested. There were restrictions placed, but I honestly don't think they were really enforced and that some of those spamming topics that could have contributed to the issues on the site might have been avoided. I think games should be made ONLY if they have PW related material in them. Things like "How are You Feeling?" or "Ban Above Poster" or "Say Something about Above Sig/Avatar" should not be allowed in for now. If Roleplays are allowed that have PW materials, Forum Games with PW materials should have that same right.

If you need to, recruit more moderators for that area. If a post is made without moderator support, lock it. If it continues from the same person, ban him/her. It might take longer for certain Forum Games to start before getting approved, but it might help against spamming games that have no relevance to PW and you might see a difference in that.

Also...if you want PW material only here, perhaps you should also remove other areas in the forum that has non-related PW sections. It doesn't matter if they don't have that much traffic there, it is a principle of being fair and impartial.

That's all I will say about that unless I need to comment once more or I'm questioned in someway. I am interested to see how the site moves from this. Not everyone is going to be pleased, but hopefully it will be enough not to lose too many of the base that made this site what it is.

Non-AA roleplay is allowed....for now....

This attitude to non-AA related stuff on the forum is worrysome. With this princible, non-AA roleplaying (and maybe even non-AA discussion a la Wright & Co and Police Station) might not be very safe. I would hate it if the RP I made, spent time doing, and interacted with other members during, was stopped. What a shame it would be to have my charecters that I made, developed, planned out, and had interact with other members here just stopped like this. It wasn't AA related, though it did let me do something creative and fun with AA fans who also happend to be fans of something else I liked (Death Note).

However, I would be okay with using the old forums for role-play and forum games (I have it backed up anyway, so we won't lose what we've done).
Jesus is Lord.

Death Note is awesome.

Just a quick note: With phpBB and most other forum software, it is perfectly easy to set up "URL redirect" forums that simply point out to a different website.

Thought on the mod application form:
[quote=self]Name:
How long you would usually be able to spend on CR weekly:
Which time zone are you in:
Why you think you would be a good moderator:
Do you have any prior experience with being a moderator (if so, list where):[/quote]
and probably more...

Yup

Location: In a sphere watching you every action plotting your death or a tea party

lukegb wrote:
Just a quick note: With phpBB and most other forum software, it is perfectly easy to set up "URL redirect" forums that simply point out to a different website.

Thought on the mod application form:
[quote=self]Name:
How long you would usually be able to spend on CR weekly:
Which time zone are you in:
Why you think you would be a good moderator:
Do you have any prior experience with being a moderator (if so, list where):

and probably more...[/quote]
(continued)

nuuuuu, stoooooop

The hiring of mods is not going to be a democratic process by any means. No offense XD;;;

We're discussing now a few people we have in mind, but that's going to be conducted privately. If we decide we need mods for specific areas and topics, we may ask for people to step forward. Obviously we don't know everyone on the forum but we have our ways. Oh yes....

*ahem*

Anyway, it's not like I'm out to destroy all non AA content on the forum - just that the AA related things are the definite priority, so cutting something like the BBC when it's causing havok is not a difficult choice for me. The RP and other Non-AA boards are not a threat, and since we're planning to upgrade in some way soon, they're not in danger.

A moderated games board doesn't sound like a bad idea, though I'd prefer a simpler process. It would also have to be strictly moderated B:
ImageImage

e × e = e²

Strict moderation is something we'd kill for, yes.

I still find it entertaining whenever people get the notion moderators are democratic entities.

PCHOOO

"I've only got 24 hours to live and I ain't gonna waste it here!"

Not entirely sure what the point of that quote was but it seemed appropriate under my current situation. I have 11 days of regular, active participation here on CR before my life changes dramatically and I won't be around for a month or so. By the time I come back a decision of some sort will probably have been made. Therefore, I'm going to take this opportunity to add my voice to all of this.

I joined CR back in November, and since then I've done my best to be an active and productive member of the community. I do feel that there has always been, and always will be, plenty of AA related discussion going on. I never get bored of reading what new posts there are, particularly regarding the forthcoming games.

But that's been ONE part of my experience here. The most important part? Who knows. That's neither here nor there. But for the past 7 and a half months, CR Mafia has formed another important part. It brought me further, past the phase where I just posted occasionally on discussions, and actually deeper into the CR community. Not the Mafia community, mind you. The COURT RECORDS community as a whole. I don't know... perhaps we're being viewed as parasites or something? CR Mafia was never intended to be something separate or alien from CR as a whole, but rather an integral part. Or that's the feeling I always got.

I'd just like to point out the reason we feel, or at least I feel, CR Mafia is something special. It is in depth, complex, and thoroughly AA related. Unlike other forum games which are justly frowned upon, CR Mafia was in the league of the Trials and Roleplays which are still being allowed. Now I don't mean to whine and say "If you don't allow Mafia you shouldn't allow those things as well!" I'm just trying to make it clear that CR Mafia has become something big and important to nearly 100 members of Court Records (at varying points over the past half a year). It is on the same level as other things which are still permitted. True, we can end up moving elsewhere, and most of us will continue to frequent CR regardless. But it's a shame if its evolution as part of what makes this site unique should be stopped here and now.

Thank you very much for taking my thoughts into consideration. Professor Layton.... I mean Regy Rusty, out.

That's precisely the problem in itself though: it's something BIG.

I'm not sure what'll happen in the future - whether Mafia will be allowed to return or not.
We'll see.

Super Ace Attorney

Croik wrote:
The hiring of mods is not going to be a democratic process by any means. No offense XD;;;

We're discussing now a few people we have in mind, but that's going to be conducted privately. If we decide we need mods for specific areas and topics, we may ask for people to step forward. Obviously we don't know everyone on the forum but we have our ways. Oh yes....

*ahem*

Like me right? ...Right?

.....It's never me :larry:

Croik wrote:
Anyway, it's not like I'm out to destroy all non AA content on the forum - just that the AA related things are the definite priority, so cutting something like the BBC when it's causing havok is not a difficult choice for me. The RP and other Non-AA boards are not a threat, and since we're planning to upgrade in some way soon, they're not in danger.

A moderated games board doesn't sound like a bad idea, though I'd prefer a simpler process. It would also have to be strictly moderated B:

The RPs being safe is good to hear.

Regy Rusty wrote:

Not entirely sure what the point of that quote was but it seemed appropriate under my current situation. I have 11 days of regular, active participation here on CR before my life changes dramatically and I won't be around for a month or so. By the time I come back a decision of some sort will probably have been made. Therefore, I'm going to take this opportunity to add my voice to all of this.

What's gonna happen to you if you don't mind my asking? I hope everything turns out ok.
Jesus is Lord.

Death Note is awesome.

Mistress Game Master

Superninfreak wrote:
Regy Rusty wrote:

What's gonna happen to you if you don't mind my asking? I hope everything turns out ok.

He leaves...for a nice, long...vacation... >_>

College, dear. Regy's old like that.

Now, on an on-topic note:

Croik wrote:

*Dance*

I...think I'll shut up, now. :yuusaku:

Caitlin, your issues bring up good points, and ones I believe the New Forum would allow for.

However, I do not want to "press" this issue too much, and so, I will wait, for now, to comment.

Signature and avatar by Mme. Vicki.

One K, one R, two V's. Gawd.

BBC is kinda why I stayed here... Well, one of the games on it, anyway.

I have no idea how websites work, but from what I can see the old forum never stopped running while the old one was up, so it was probably cheap or free, yeah?

I also have seen a lot of willing and able people who have asked to be mods but were turned down because they weren't needed...

Am I getting this right?
ImageImageImageImage
Married to Don- Mom to Obby, Wassa, Gavinner, and someone whose name starts with a C... :P
Comics Updated August 13th

...experience the joy each day can bring

MoronSonofBoron wrote:
As an AA fan project, one of what I trust will be many, I hope that it will remain within your considerations for these future "community gathering" points, especially in the manner that Boss Velotix stated. Many of the players I've dealt with during my CR Mafia tenure, I had never encountered or thought to engage in the various other sections of the forum. With CR Mafia, I became familiar with some of their interests. We had people from the PW Musical, some sprite manipulators, writers, general gamers, all people who had originally stuck to their own parts of the forum now gathering around a new opportunity to interact with each other.

This is true. ;_; Of my 700-something non-gaming posts, I think about 85% of them are in the musical thread. Once I started playing mafia, I met dozens of other people in our fandom I never would have otherwise talked to, and I've become friends with a few. ^_^ It became another meeting hub for people from all the different sections. I've even recruited more people to our musical project from this game!

I'm only a player, but these games HAVE in fact increased my love for the AA series... a great deal! I think Bee and Velo are both being very respectful and polite in expressing their grievances, considering how much work they both put into these PW games they created. I for one, do feel like our sector of the fandom is being snubbed.

I think I understand the reasoning behind this happening, and I know I have no say... though I wish I did. :( But I'm pretty much begging you here to reconsider this, Croik.
Sig by: Vickinator Drawn by: NaiveWanderer

Bronze Samurai

I'm a devout member of these forums. Even if I love Mafia, I didn't become an Ace Attorney for nothing. I also think the AA series is the best series I've ever experienced in video games, and love the deep aspects of the series. I will do anything I can to help this site I can (except stuff involving money). Although, I'd be a bad Mod, really. I know nothing about the technical aspects of forums, and am quite young.
Image Julia...<3
Related to NaturallyLazy, fatalfeline, JadeRoach, and Game Over!

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Sklarvv wrote:
I also have seen a lot of willing and able people who have asked to be mods but were turned down because they weren't needed...

Then they haven't been asking me :B. I can think of maybe 2 or 3 people who offered/were nominated months ago, but certainly not "a lot" or recently.

I guess if someone's really hankering for a mod job now would be the time to offer (via PM plz) while I hunt down some perspective peeps.

As to the mafia game - ok, I get it, you don't need every player to say you like it XD;;. I promise we'll give it more in depth consideration once our more pressing concerns of mods, money, and server are worked out.
ImageImage

Deputy of Self-Esteem

lukegb wrote:
WE have FRIENDS at CAPCOM?!?!

Wow.

=P I take it you missed Croik's trip to Las Vegas.

But as a refresher for our newer members, 'Lost' in particular visited these parts, both the 'Old' Invisionfree forums and the current ones. He's like Capcom's Ambassador to the fans. That's where we started a sort of vague communication line between us and Capcom. Mostly it means Lost gave us Press kits and Croik got to attend Captivate 08. But he's retiring, to open a web company, so we're trying to talk to Sven instead. The super director of something.

Boss Velotix wrote:
Ping' wrote:
My point being: bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. An ambitious website doesn't necessarily mean a first-rate website. Don't get me wrong, ambition is okay - but only in "real life". Anyone who thinks he can make a living out of a website is seriously mistaken - it would be like winning the lottery.

http://www.penny-arcade.com :P

Granted, that's an unusual example, but the point is that it is possible to make a living based on a website, but as you correctly point out, most of it is based on luck.

I can say with great certainty that Croik and I aren't going to be living off of CR funds any time soon. Actually the reverse may be true if things turn wrong suddenly.

Croik wrote:

XD and of course by the time we're organized by that point, Capcom will release some news about Perfect Prosecutor, Apollo Justice 2, The mystery (anime?) project, AND announce the 5 part epic, 'GUMSHOE ON ICE'.

But Yes! I wholly support those ideas!

Quote:
This may be a bad time to bring this up, but for a while some members I spoke to were growing concerned that our mod and admin team were growing steadily more detached from the community and the site - some have gone inactive, and some give off an air of not caring anymore. It seems to be a matter of appearances - what it looks like is going on (the reason for my PM in the first place, whoops) and what actually is going on are completely different.

There's also the simple fact that due mostly to inactive and/or lurker staff, the forum is understaffed for a community of its size. Some sections of the site actually feel unmoderated and forgotten. :(

Unfortunately thats a strange side effect that the site staff has gained. The active staff is really 4 at this point, 3 if you consider Tinker is on vacation a the moment. (Poor guy, I don't think he knows the drama he missed). And each of us have our own interests in the board. I hang out in the News, Docket, GS5, GK, and Police Station boards. That in addition to behind the scenes stuff. Considering we have like 20 or so boards, and I'm only visiting 5 of them, that can easily give off the impression of passiveness when my interests don't perfectly overlap with the most active of forum goers. We are looking at making the staff bigger, however.

Boss wrote:
This is the critical mistake behind this entire misunderstanding: to my knowledge, every person who played the game was an Ace Attorney fan prior to the game's start. Fully understanding the game required being familiar with the series, so it was unlikely to attract anyone else. The game mainly attracted long-term members of the board who had gotten a little bored with other goings-on around the site, including a few people intimidated by the whole Mafia affair. :P

The problem with that logic is that you can totally turn it around. If per say, this was a Pokemon website, then you would be saying that "every person who played the game was a pokemon fan to start". That has more to deal with the community in general then the fandom to which it is centered.

wrestle wrote:
But I digress... Phoenix Wright-related business is here, but I doubt anyone logged onto here with the sole purpose of posting on the "Sig Above Yours" topic... As the person who FORMERLY was the most frequent Forum Poster (I have 7777 posts at the moment this is being typed, Second to Tails, as the image I will post at the END of this post, in fact, of the Top 5 Posters), I know this well, that we COME for the PW, stay for the games and... for the PW! I mean, L.C.! If your intention was to simply keep our goals on PW, you would've closed down Wright & Co., Global Studios, and the Police Station, along with the BBC!

The problem with that logic is that Wright and Co, Global Studios, and the Police Station together had less posts then the BBC as it was, 'WITH' auto purge on.

And statistics aside, that's an unfair comparison (Well, with the exception of Wright and Co Maybe). The people in those boards aren't making threads without content and they sure aren't rapidly checking to see if someone responded to the avatar above me. There's self control there, the BBC may have had 'some' but it was in the minority compared to the unchecked chaos.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Bronze Samurai

I nominate MoronSonOfBoron for Mod....>_>.... :godot:

:payne: :edgy: ...*Runs*
Image Julia...<3
Related to NaturallyLazy, fatalfeline, JadeRoach, and Game Over!

Jammin' like it's 2024

I agree or support pretty much everything in this thread at this point, but this stuck out. :P

Wooster wrote:
Boss wrote:

The problem with that logic is that you can totally turn it around. If per say, this was a Pokemon website, then you would be saying that "every person who played the game was a pokemon fan to start". That has more to deal with the community in general then the fandom to which it is centered.

Mafia's a bizarrely flexible game design - you can mould it into pretty much whatever you want. We chose to make it a posterboy for the Ace Attorney series on an Ace Attorney forum. Go fig. :3

Your argument is valid, but it assumes that the game is "flavourless" - a no-frills Mafia game (like the one on the CRv1 board right now actually, which weakens my argument a bit ._.). The second you give a game a "flavour" by basing it on something popular, the product becomes instantly less attractive to anyone not interested in the original work and instantly more attractive to everyone that does. ;)

Why oh why did Al Ao start a Mafia game on CRv1 with the admins as Mafia roles? [insert long disclaimer and cookies here]

...I have a request, guys. Stop bugging the admins about the Mafia game series! XD
We have more important things to worry about right now, like our little fledgling community being not such a fledgling anymore. I'm also hearing rumours of a member exodus because of recent events, but I don't know much about that. :/

Akon tickets, front row, middle section.

Location: In court, sneaking up on you when you least expect it.

Sorry to ignore the above post, but I'm too lazy to read...

but I do have one thing to ask. Which is: If we can't have our BBC, why not move the two topics into the Eagle River and delete the forum entirely? Having useless clutter on the index is bad for a forum. You don't want to have too many boards on it. The thing is locked anyway...
ImageImage Don't mess with me, or I'll give you a Silence Glaive Surprise!
Page 2 of 4 [ 154 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes