Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 36 posts ]

AA5 interview, Nintendo Dream December issueTopic%20Title

迷探偵

Nintendo Dream's December issue (which, because Japan has strange release dates, went on sale today) has a long interview with AA5 producer Eshiro and scenario director Yamazaki. Nothing shocking / of real interest though and it is three pages long, so I'm just picking out some things instead of translating it all.

- They talk about the reception at TGS and the pressure of developing a proper sequel to the AA series.
- Yamazaki is a 'scenario director', which is a rare function actually. The scenario is written together by four people, with Yamazaki having the last call on edits and such.
- They talk about the theme of the 'trials falling apart'. They had played with a concept of a 'torture trial' if you get a guilty verdict.
- They talk about how it is to have to change from writing from Edgeworth's point of view to Nick's (as they are different characters, naturally)
- In the animated parts, you see that Nick is still using the same cellphone he has always used.
- Because of the better sound quality of the 3DS, they couldn't use the old sound bites Takumi Shuu had done (Objection! etc). And as they are using animation anyway, they have hired proper voice actors. But for smaller parts, they might still use company workers (in the demo, the voice of Shinobu was actually also a company worker)
- Dark Payne (little brother) was conceived because they wanted a evil prosecutor, but they couldn't just change Payne (older brother) in someone evil suddenly. They do still think that Payne is still working. They joke about how the Paynes are now the Turnabout Brothers. Yamazaki throws in an idea for a new game: Turnabout Payne (Eshiro: What are they going to turnabout?!).
- If Kay is a genki girl, then Kotone is a determined girl, who will do everything to help her superior, according to Yamazaki.
- The pendant Kotone is wearing is called a Monita (モニ太). Because a monitor comes out of it. One of the apps in it, is the Heart Scope.

Oh, but you do get a neat Layton vs AA poster with this issue of Nintendo Dream :3
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Last edited by Ash on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: AA5 interview, Nintendo Dream December issueTopic%20Title

This rock... it reminds me of a puzzle!

I can see the trailer for it already:

Spoiler:
In the midst of corruption... another will rise to turn the tables!
[Epic music, screen slides to left]
Winston Payne - Neglected Prosecutor
[Winston's pic]
Winston: "Gah! That's impossible!"
"Don't say iiiiiiiiit!"
"They don't call me the 'Rookie Killer' for nothing!"
[slides left, zooms in on another person]
Dark Payne - Neglected Brother
[Dark's pose here]
Dark: "Objection! You are very pathetic."
"Quit your act of being stupid already!"
"The thing speaks for itself, Your Honor."
[Zoom in, dissolve to next scene]

Separated by time... the brothers finally unite.
[Music fades away, screen pitch black]

Dark: "I never thought you were so foolish... :franny: "
Winston: "This is something I wouldn't usually do, but I would stand for my statement, even if that means the destruction of my image!"
[screen fades to Winston behind the prosecutor bench]
[Winston slams on desk, points forward]

"OBJECTION!"

Kidding aside, ability to change from Edgeworth's view to Phoenix's? So is Edgeworth in the game? What about Maya? Oh this is all so exciting!

迷探偵

Oh, sorry, I forgot to add in the context for that. Both Eshiro and Yamazaki worked on AAI, so they talked about how it was to have to work on a different character (Nick instead of Edgeworth).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

…The GK/GS5 Team… Employs… FOUR PEOPLE WRITTING THE SCENARIO?! :ema-shock:

*spittake* :beef:

No wonder GK2 was a giant roller coaster in terms of writting quality!!! Jesus, I thought they had maybe two writers, but FOUR writers PLUS a scenario director?!?! Have they never heard of the saying “Too many cooks spoil the broth”?! :chef:

I can only hope they replaced whoever wrote the majority of the second and the beginning of the fourth case (I’ll just take a wild guess and say that was the same incompetent nimwit) with someone who actually knows what a “character” is. >_>

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Self-proclaimed smart person.

I have to wonder whether the four scenario writers deal is a new thing for GS5 or if they always worked this way since AAI/GK2, since GS5 itself seems to have a lot of production value going for it, which we have seen already by the improved sound quality and the animated cutscenes being featured, and so on. As Neni said, it can be risky to employ too many writers unless they know what they are doing (though I am fairly sure it's not a new thing to have several writers working on one game). But again, the production values seem to be overall higher now, so I am going to hope for the best.

Speaking of the animated clips, I wonder when the clip shown at TGS will be released publicly? GK2 was featured at TGS 2010 and then had a second trailer (a fully voiced one, at that) around December time so would that be a possible window for a second showing of GS5?

Gettin' Old!

Seeing how they wanted a new Payne so he could be 'evil' I am now even more convinced he had something to do with the explosion of the courts.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Assuming the officer is who I think it is, it does give Dark Payne a glaring opportunity for being an accessory to the crime at least.
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump

Wooster wrote:
Assuming the officer is who I think it is, it does give Dark Payne a glaring opportunity for being an accessory to the crime at least.

I sincerely doubt that Barashima is Normal Payne in disguise. For one thing, they just said in the interview that they couldn't have him turn evil out of nowhere. Or are you saying that Payne has a sympathetic motive for impersonating an officer of the law to blow up a courthouse?

OBJECTION!

I was really used to Nick being voiced by a Capcom employee in the English/US version, but if he had a proper voice actor (understandable if there is more dialogue), thats cool too.
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....

Deputy of Self-Esteem

He lies about being mute. Why would he lie about that unless his voice is identifiable? Next, he has a grudge against defense attorneys. Not prosecutors, not judicial folk in general. Defence Attorneys. Add the fact that they wouldn't add a new Payne without darn good reason, I'm really suspicious. Either Dark Payne is the murderer, or Winston is.

Gettin' Old!

Wooster wrote:
He lies about being mute. Why would he lie about that unless his voice is identifiable? Next, he has a grudge against defense attorneys. Not prosecutors, not judicial folk in general. Defence Attorneys. Add the fact that they wouldn't add a new Payne without darn good reason, I'm really suspicious. Either Dark Payne is the murderer, or Winston is.

Love solving the first case before any release XD
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Call me Ishmael.

"Torture trial?" Grimdark.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

Racing through the sky like a Missile

The "torture trials" idea reminds me of one of the concept arts from GS5, featuring a "hell" version of the courtroom. The only places to stand are at the benches, and the gallery seats are placed much higher than normal, overlooking the warring attorneys below. There are two accompanying giant statues, possibly of mythical Goddesses. It's like a gladiator battle in a colosseum, but in a courtroom instead. While it could just be a dream, it could also become a living nightmare at some point. Ooh, I hope we get to see the return of the Demon Judge!

Now I'm curious. If there's the "hell" court, there should be the "heaven" court too, like that picture of the courtroom in the clouds. If these images make it into the game, I suspect they'll be dreams or strange visions due to hallucinations.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Wooster wrote:

Yes, they wouldn't add another Payne without a good reason, and indeed, they have provided one in this very interview!
Quote:
- Dark Payne (little brother) was conceived because they wanted a evil prosecutor, but they couldn't just change Payne (older brother) in someone evil suddenly.

Their motivation for introducing Evil Payne that it would be out of character for Regular Payne to exhibit the corrupt and arrogant attitude they wanted, because Regular Payne is not an evil person. Don't you think that it would be just as evil and out of character for meek old Winston Payne to dress up in disguise and throw bombs at people? Even if years of defeat blackened his soul, he wouldn't be the type to enact such a daring and flamboyant scheme.

That and I don't think they look as alike as you seem to think they do. Barashima's face is much longer than Payne's, and he doesn't have Payne's button nose. He'd have to be wearing a really good face mask to pull that off, which strikes me as kind of ridiculous.

Spoiler: That said...
Back on the subject of Payne not being the type to plan a bombing, I suppose there's a possibility that Payne is simply the pawn of some greater power, using his grudge against defence attorneys to advance their own agenda. Given the GK team's propensity for game-spanning conspiracies with secret masterminds, I can't dismiss the possibility, as silly as it seems.

I REALLY need a PLvsAA poster D: Is there somewhere I can buy the magazine online or something? lol..

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

I'm dying for new information. The concept behind Dark Payne is interesting enough though.

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

Squirtle!

one thing that's been bothering me is if Evil Payne the prosecutor for the entire game. Or just case 1.

Because I don't think I could take the game seriously if a payne was the main prosecutor for the entire game -_-
Married to SnowWright! Father of Tornado of Souls!

jonathanrp wrote:
one thing that's been bothering me is if Evil Payne the prosecutor for the entire game. Or just case 1.

Because I don't think I could take the game seriously if a payne was the main prosecutor for the entire game -_-
Doubtful. Remember the trailer? There's a silhouette at the end. Either the "main" prosecutor or some other important character. Whatever the case, there are more characters to come. I don't think a Dark Payne would be on the cover of the game anyway.

OBJECTION!

IMO a Dark Payne or someone actually evil has potential as a final 'Boss' (think Von Karma in 1-4). Having a Dark Payne in the 1st case is a bit odd....

Achtung,baby~!

:holdit:
I haven't quite kept up with the latest GS5 news,but is it true that the game is going to have voiced in-game cutscenes(excluding the animated ones,of course)?

Deputy of Self-Esteem

Yes. Just don't expect non cutscenes to have voice acting, beyond OBJECTION et al.

Achtung,baby~!

Oh,so it's just like always.
I read that it'd be fully voiced.Thank god it's not,the dubs would be awful.

Programmer

I expect Layton level voice acting. Important lines get voiced, misc filler ones remain bleeps.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Dice-Off (Coming Summer 2013...)

EDIT: Excuse me, wrong thread...

But i would have thought the voice acting would be similar to what it is going to be in LvsGS (i.e. what we saw in the TGS stage show)

:shoe:

henke37 wrote:
I expect Layton level voice acting. Important lines get voiced, misc filler ones remain bleeps.

According to Siliconera it sounds more like full voice acting.

Quote:
Another topic brought up was the subject of voices, which appeared in the promotional video shown in the TGS. This will be the first time voice actors will be used in-game (previously, they only appeared on the DS trailers). The staff are aware that there will be much resistance to the doing away of the bleep-bloops of the series, but say that the change was made after much consideration.
The first reason for this was that, due to the 3DS’ surround sound capabilities, bringing over the DS sounds as they are would have been extremely difficult due to tuning problems.
Another concern was that the staff wanted the game sequences to work with the anime scenes, which are also fully voiced.

Blah!

Lusankya wrote:
henke37 wrote:

According to Siliconera it sounds more like full voice acting.

Quote:
Another topic brought up was the subject of voices, which appeared in the promotional video shown in the TGS. This will be the first time voice actors will be used in-game (previously, they only appeared on the DS trailers). The staff are aware that there will be much resistance to the doing away of the bleep-bloops of the series, but say that the change was made after much consideration.
The first reason for this was that, due to the 3DS’ surround sound capabilities, bringing over the DS sounds as they are would have been extremely difficult due to tuning problems.
Another concern was that the staff wanted the game sequences to work with the anime scenes, which are also fully voiced.

That's interesting...

The 3DS is definitely capable of this, seeing how the largest 3DS cart possible is 8 GB (apparently; IIRC, the largest game so far is 2 GB).

But they're definitely raising the stakes by doing this, since that much voice acting and using higher capacity carts costs money. I would really hate to see what would happen if this game bombs...

Well, even a niche game like Virtue's Last Reward could afford full voice acting.

Blah!

Lusankya wrote:
Well, even a niche game like Virtue's Last Reward could afford full voice acting.

Voice acting during the non-puzzle parts, that is.

Then again, I wonder what the ratio of lines in the puzzle rooms to the lines in the novel sections is... If there's a lot more novel lines, then I guess you have a point.

Deputy of Self-Esteem

No one remembers the video of investigation? I distinctly remember a whole bunch of blip-blip-blip. It's Siliconera misunderstanding fully voice acted cutscene dialog with fully voice acted.

The Ace Attorney's Magical Daughter

Wooster wrote:
No one remembers the video of investigation? I distinctly remember a whole bunch of blip-blip-blip. It's Siliconera misunderstanding fully voice acted cutscene dialog with fully voice acted.

Siliconera has had misinformation posted on their site before. I am willing to bet this is the case again. Fully voice acted AA would be a tad annoying, especially during the Crossexaminations. :eh?:

...Because I felt the need to advertise my fanfic with a self-drawn, animated banner. Yes, I'm obsessed, why do you ask?

Siliconera are referring to the Nintendo Dream interview, so Ash should be able to confirm or refute their claim.
He only mentioned this in regard of voice acting:
"- Because of the better sound quality of the 3DS, they couldn't use the old sound bites Takumi Shuu had done (Objection! etc). And as they are using animation anyway, they have hired proper voice actors. But for smaller parts, they might still use company workers (in the demo, the voice of Shinobu was actually also a company worker)"

OBJECTION!

Lusankya wrote:

Thats just during the cutscenes (?) and novel parts, the escape parts will all be blip-blip-blip :)
Edit: Didnt realise it was already answered :)

grim_tales wrote:
Lusankya wrote:

Thats just during the cutscenes (?) and novel parts, the escape parts will all be blip-blip-blip :)

"Just"? Judging on 999 the novel parts include 80% of the written text.

NoiR

Neni wrote:
Wooster wrote:

Siliconera has had misinformation posted on their site before. I am willing to bet this is the case again. Fully voice acted AA would be a tad annoying, especially during the Crossexaminations. :eh?:

Or they can just have it voice acted during the first part of the testimony and then when you cross examine you only hear the blip blips of the text. That way nothing is repeated over and over again when you have to go back to review the testimony. Many games do this so repetitiveness is not an annoyance.

Doesn't scream into DS microphones.

Out of curiosity...what would one of these "torture trials" be like?
"I can't go to hell, little weirdo. I'm all out of vacation days."

OBJECTION!

Lusankya wrote:
grim_tales wrote:
Lusankya wrote:

"Just"? Judging on 999 the novel parts include 80% of the written text.

If theres as much as in 999 (sounds like even more) then my concern is
Spoiler:
It spoils one twist of 999 (that June was narrating), the twist was brilliant BECAUSE you were just reading yourself.

Page 1 of 1 [ 36 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes