Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 2[ 42 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dengeki interview with Eshiro on iOS DD and GS in generalTopic%20Title

迷探偵

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/914/914785/

It's a very long interview, so just some bullet points instead of a full translation (too lazy to translate everything...):

- A lot of fans reacted positive to Apollo's role in the game
- Some people thought the game was too easy and they'll keep that in mind for future games
- Eshiro as overwhelmed when Apollo ranked first in the NicoNico GS character election (dates from August 2013). Also glad that characters like Blackquill and Fulbright ranked in high.
Spoiler:
1. Apollo
2. Edgeworth
3. Phoenix
4. Maya
5. Fulbright
6. Godot
7. Blackquill
8. Yumihiko (GK2)
9. Franziska
10. Klavier

- GS5 was originally planned to be a 3DS-only release, but because apps were becoming more important, they wanted to know whether it would be possible to have an app version. They made one scene, which was a bit troublesome, but they decided that this could work. While 3DS and (touch screen) smartphones are relatively 'alike', they had to rethink the user interface completely because the 3DS has two screens.
- Asked by the interviewer whether the character models were redone for iOS because they looked better, Eshiro said no. 3DS/iPhone all have different screens with their own characteristics, so they come out differently.
- The complete first chapter of iOS DD is free, because they did the same with iOS GS123. It's a lot of gameplay, but the precedent had already been set and the ending of that chapter does work as a hook for the rest of the game.
- Prices were based on regular App Store prices and internal discussion.
- Eshiro likes case 2 (he likes the creepy and mysterious atmosphere) and case 3.
- Yamazaki likes the last case
- Eshiro knows a lot of fans want an anime, but such a project costs a lot of time, and they just never managed to get the timing right for something like that. And just an anime would be boring, so he would like to do something special with it if they were to produce one.
- Personally, Eshiro would want to do a late night TV drama series, because he thinks the format fits GS well.
- The interviewer suggests a GS concert, to which Eshiro said he would think about it (laugh)
- Yamazaki would like to do something like a real-life game (i.e. escape the room games).
- GS5 is not the end of the GS series, DGS is coming and they'll want to do even more after that.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
Re: Dengeki interview with Eshiro on iOS DD and GS in generaTopic%20Title

Ace Procrastinator

A real life AA Mock Trial? Wonder how that would work...

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Mainly things we figured or already heard about, I see.

Quote:
- Eshiro knows a lot of fans want an anime, but such a project costs a lot of time, and they just never managed to get the timing right for something like that. And just an anime would be boring, so he would like to do something special with it if they were to produce one.

ANIMATED FILM PLS. The live-action one was impressive for what it's worth, and I expect something delightful if it's ever animated into a full-length film. I can see it working as a TV drama too, but I say a single film would be worth more in the long run, as who knows how long such a series could keep going, especially with the games concurrently in development. Besides, it's got fierce competition with other detective TV dramas that are already very popular in Japan.

Quote:
- Yamazaki would like to do something like a real-life game (i.e. escape the room games).

Makes me wonder if he's played something from the Zero Escape series.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Thanks for the translation.

Ash wrote:
- Some people thought the game was too easy and they'll keep that in mind for future games

I am so glad to hear that.

Gettin' Old!

Ouch....Athena didn't make the top ten characters...and Klavier beat her at that. I guess the rumours she wasn't popular in Japan either hold sway.

Still good to know more is on the way and also amazingly that they had considered an anime!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I wonder if Athena not making top 10 will affect her role in the eventual GS6? Anywho, that last bulletpoint makes me think it will be a long while before they show what the game after DGS will be.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Writers always give in to a little fanservice (Ema in AJ, playing as Edgeworth) so while I don't know about Athena in GS6, I think it's safe to say Apollo will continue to have a large role. I mentioned it before but every single character who appeared in both of the GK games improved from GK1 to GK2 (exception being Larry, I suppose) so I do have faith that the writers will improve Athena

I'm not too surprised Maya still ranks high but I am with Godot. I'm also surprised to see Klavier made the top 10, though, and that Fulbright beat out Blackquill. Did anyone else notice that 6/10 of the entries are prosecutors? (And the entire bottom five are prosecutors as well)

Jozerick wrote:
Thanks for the translation.

Ash wrote:

Same here. I would've enjoyed the game more if it let me figure out the cases. >_>

What did he do this time...?

JesusMonroe wrote:
Writers always give in to a little fanservice (Ema in AJ, playing as Edgeworth) so while I don't know about Athena in GS6, I think it's safe to say Apollo will continue to have a large role. I mentioned it before but every single character who appeared in both of the GK games improved from GK1 to GK2 (exception being Larry, I suppose) so I do have faith that the writers will improve Athena

I'm not too surprised Maya still ranks high but I am with Godot. I'm also surprised to see Klavier made the top 10, though, and that Fulbright beat out Blackquill. Did anyone else notice that 6/10 of the entries are prosecutors? (And the entire bottom five are prosecutors as well)

I'm pretty shocked to hear Apollo was first. I would expect Edgeworth or Wright to finish first.

Fulbright beating Godot and Blackquill is a pretty big surprise too... Due to fanservice, I wouldn't be surprised if
Spoiler:
they use him as the lead detective in a past case. Y'know, before he died.

Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

Danchat wrote:
Fulbright beating Godot and Blackquill is a pretty big surprise too... Due to fanservice, I wouldn't be surprised if
Spoiler:
they use him as the lead detective in a past case. Y'know, before he died.

Spoiler:
If we ever get to play as Blackquill in a GK game, I'd love to see him and Fulbright work together in a flashback case

Jozerick wrote:
Ash wrote:

Totally, that's actually my favorite part of the interview.

What I want them to do:
1. Crank up the difficulty in general.
2. Characters shouldn't give you tips/hints before you even try to find the contradiction.
3. Only after you failed the first time the character should give you a slight(!) hint.
4. After you failed some more (or maybe after a time limit) you can opt for a clear hint (maybe in two parts, first hints at the statement, second at the actual contradiction/evidence).

linkenski wrote:
I wonder if Athena not making top 10 will affect her role in the eventual GS6? Anywho, that last bulletpoint makes me think it will be a long while before they show what the game after DGS will be.

Possibly, but I don't think that's too bad. AA5 already told quite a lot of Athena's story, while there is still much left to Apollo's. So AA6 can easily concentrate more on APollo, and Athena gets a smaller role (I still hope we can play as her at least once).

Derper

Lusankya wrote:

linkenski wrote:

Possibly, but I don't think that's too bad. AA5 already told quite a lot of Athena's story, while there is still much left to Apollo's. So AA6 can easily concentrate more on APollo, and Athena gets a smaller role (I still hope we can play as her at least once).

Personally, I don't see how it's going to affect her role at all. Athena ranked higher than Gumshoe, Ema, Pearl, and the majority of other characters from the series. That's pretty much claiming we won't see these other characters at all just because they ranked lower than Athena.
Sometimes I feel like facepalming
I'm just not sure on whose face to push my hand on.

Can you post a link to the full rankings?

Go ahead, make my day...

Like many fans, I am also in favour of an anime series/OVA/film. Even if animated works might seem kind of overdone, I think the format is more appropriate for a series like AA than a TV show. Granted, the setting of AA is much more grounded compared to fictional works with more fantasy/sci-fi elements, so I can see why Eshiro might think that a TV show would work. That said, a big part of AA's appeal is its quirkiness....which extends to its character designs. And as the AA movie clearly demonstrated, some of those designs don't translate well to a format that involves regular actors.

Plus, the fact that significant parts of the story take place in a courtroom means that animators would have the perfect excuse to reuse stock footage, which would certainly help reduce the costs of making an anime series/OVA.

As for the character vote....I must admit that I too am surprised to see Apollo taking first place. It seems like DD has helped boost his popularity significantly. Not so surprised regarding the other characters, though I'm not familiar yet with the AAI2/DD ones. Since she's not in the top 10, I have to wonder how Ema's popularity is holding up.

JesusMonroe wrote:
Can you post a link to the full rankings?

The original link to the one on tumblr was taken down, but someone preserved it on Something Awful.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Thanks, Rubia!

Athena's #11 so I guess everyone's speculation (including my own) was a wash

Y'know

Okay, I'm not sure what to think of that. I'm surprised Oldbag, Atmey and Klavier are so high up, even above some (at least in my opinion) better characters.

I cannot question Top 3, though. Hands down, these are the best.

But still... what is Redd White doing on this list at all? Did he blackmail his way into it or what?

You'd be surprised how far memes can go. I'm throwing out a guess, but I think White got in thanks to his classic Jojo reference. Sadly, it was taken out in the English version.

As for "Colgate Zeus", you often see his emoji among Nico video tags: 6(^皿^) Naturally, the most popular video with him on Nico involves a fandub of him singing his own version of Gurren no Yumiya.

Y'know

It's times like this I wish I were Japanese. :-P

Strange he made it there, since in English version at least he was pretty forgettable, despite killing Mia and having a grip over the law system... Can't say he was executed well as a villain.

Last edited by Nearavex on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

The cape is self-fluttering

JesusMonroe wrote:
I'm also surprised to see Klavier made the top 10, though, and that Fulbright beat out Blackquill

Danchat wrote:
Fulbright beating Godot and Blackquill is a pretty big surprise too...

Whaaaaaat? That should come as no surprise! :justice:
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Gettin' Old!

Sierra Mikain wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:
I'm also surprised to see Klavier made the top 10, though, and that Fulbright beat out Blackquill

Danchat wrote:
Fulbright beating Godot and Blackquill is a pretty big surprise too...

Whaaaaaat? That should come as no surprise! :justice:

Of course not! Fulbright should be right up there as a testimony to his true Justice! :justice:
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Wikia Ace Attorney Wiki admin

I swear Gumshoe gets no respect... In all seriousness, though, is there a more... primary source for the character rankings? The SA post mentions a stream...

capefeather wrote:
I swear Gumshoe gets no respect... In all seriousness, though, is there a more... primary source for the character rankings? The SA post mentions a stream...

The official popularity poll was also hosted on a Nico Video live stream. That's what the original poster was referring to.

It had two stages, actually: the one for the top 50 characters, and the one on Nico with the top 8 + Athena, but since it was a live stream, voters only had a short time to choose.

Athena Internet Defense Force

Are you gonna wrap up Apollo's arc this time?

Ace Explorer

Ash wrote:
- A lot of fans reacted positive to Apollo's role in the game

I'm certainly one of those fans. I think AJ saw Apollo as "blank, protagonist-y butt-monkey type who got super-manipulated by Nick at the end".
In DD, I think they finally gave him an actual personality. Still the butt-monkey at the office, but at least he can think for himself.
Well? Are we going or what?

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I'm just curious about the "there will be more games after DGS" quote because now I'm not even sure they are working simultaniously on two Ace Attorney games at once anymore.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

linkenski wrote:
I'm just curious about the "there will be more games after DGS" quote because now I'm not even sure they are working simultaniously on two Ace Attorney games at once anymore.

I think he means that there's DGS from Takumi while Eshiro's team is working on GK3, and GS6 will follow (unless for some reason, they decide to work on GS6 first before returning to GK3, but given that GK3 was hinted much earlier, that's not likely).

Letting the entire GS department of Capcom handle one game would mean it has to be the biggest seller in the history of the franchise by far to be worth cutting down on production. Then again, it would probably be the best GS game ever if we had the best from both teams cooperating on it.

Last edited by Rubia Ryu the Royal on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

迷探偵

It's basically all Eshiro can say at this stage. He notes that the GS series (as a franchise, including possible spin-off productions like the movie/stage productions etc) isn't over yet, that DGS is coming up and that they'll 'have to think about the future after DGS'. Which is true. Even if they were working hard on GK3/GS6/DGS2/GS0/It's A Wonderful Life With Penny Nichols at the moment, nothing has been announced yet, so he can't say or even hint at something concrete in this interview.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Ash wrote:
It's A Wonderful Life With Penny Nichols

I'd buy it

Gettin' Old!

JesusMonroe wrote:
Ash wrote:

I'd buy it

It'd be tragic, because Penny would realise that literally no one cared about her after all.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Wikia Ace Attorney Wiki admin

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
capefeather wrote:

The official popularity poll was also hosted on a Nico Video live stream. That's what the original poster was referring to.

It had two stages, actually: the one for the top 50 characters, and the one on Nico with the top 8 + Athena, but since it was a live stream, voters only had a short time to choose.

Is there any permanent link to this, by any chance? Not that I personally would follow it necessarily, but once the SA post is too old for non-users to look at, what then? It would be nice to have a primary, permanent source for this info.

Pierre wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:
Ash wrote:

I'd buy it

It'd be tragic, because Penny would realise that literally no one cared about her after all.

No way. With Cody by her side, they'll travel 'round the globe to spread the Steel Samurai love. I recall the series hit its fourth season by Apollo's time and was still going on strong.

And then something happens along the way and the Steel Samurai (French ed.) gets arrested at his local Global Studios branch. As it so happens, Edgeworth and Franziska were on a business trip to Paris.

It's like a spinoff to a spinoff. This stuff just writes itself.

capefeather wrote:
Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
capefeather wrote:

Is there any permanent link to this, by any chance? Not that I personally would follow it necessarily, but once the SA post is too old for non-users to look at, what then? It would be nice to have a primary, permanent source for this info.

There is the page on hoso_boso's blog, but of course it's all in Japanese. He even captured a screenshot of the stream when it was reciting the results, and #43 was left blank. We may never know who was #43 after all. (And please excuse the wording in my previous post. I meant that the polls were from different streams.)

If anyone's curious, here are the results of the top 8 + Athena list:
Quote:
Phoenix Wright 20.9%
Apollo Justice 15.5%
Miles Edgeworth 14.9%
Athena Cykes 12.1%
Maya Fey 11.8%
Godot 9.3%
Bobby Fulbright 7.9%
Simon Blackquill 5.2%
Yumihiko Ichiyanagi 2.4%

hosoboso comments that this list may have been influenced thanks to Nick's role in the demo.

Whoa what I thought the difficulty been fine so far...then again I approach the game as a casual gamer :P

I would not be opposed if the consequences for getting answers wrong was akin to JFA though

Everything related to ios releasing seemed spot on

I don't know why apollo is #1, all I see from his DD character is that he's gotten a lot more smarter figuring stuff out. But im on the 4th case so ill reseve my udgement

Gettin' Old!

Huddini wrote:
Whoa what I thought the difficulty been fine so far...then again I approach the game as a casual gamer :P

I would not be opposed if the consequences for getting answers wrong was akin to JFA though

Everything related to ios releasing seemed spot on

I don't know why apollo is #1, all I see from his DD character is that he's gotten a lot more smarter figuring stuff out. But im on the 4th case so ill reseve my udgement

There's some REALLY dumb moments in Case 5 and the DLC case that hurt because the answers are so obvious.
Still you'll see them in time. I also really think the Mood Matrix should come with penalties, it's already a ridiculously unorthodox method that goes totally balls up if the witness says "No....that's not what I'm feeling" so I feel it should be subject to penalties for trying the Court's patience.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I figure Athena is going to have a smaller part in GS6 just based on the fact that her backstory was the focus of GS5, and everything was resolved. Usually when that happens the character isn't an important part of the sequel's plot. (Ex. Kay Faraday in AAI vs. GK2).

I'm personally hoping they work on GS6 before GK3. I thought GK2 was great but unless they change the gameplay a bit a third one would feel a little bland. Ironically, while the main series gameplay hasn't changed at all recently I never get tired of courtroom cross-examinations.

I might also be biased though since I feel like GS6 would have a better chance at localization than GK3 would. Also If they did make a GK3 I'd want it to be set during the GS5 era. I'm tired of the original trilogy era at this point. Playing as Blackquill (with Edgeworth as a supporting character) would be great.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Art Person

Quote:
I might also be biased though since I feel like GS6 would have a better chance at localization than GK3 would. Also If they did make a GK3 I'd want it to be set during the GS5 era. I'm tired of the original trilogy era at this point. Playing as Blackquill (with Edgeworth as a supporting character) would be great.
I'd say that as well, seeing as GK2 wasn't localised. But GK3 should be still set after GK2, only to explain what happens after Phoenix's disbarment to fill that whole 7 year gap (maybe as a flashback case?), and maybe have the game set in AJ's time, explaining Edgeworth becoming chief prosecutor, and whatever corrupt predecessor he had to outwit.

Pierre wrote:
There's some REALLY dumb moments in Case 5 and the DLC case that hurt because the answers are so obvious.
Still you'll see them in time. I also really think the Mood Matrix should come with penalties, it's already a ridiculously unorthodox method that goes totally balls up if the witness says "No....that's not what I'm feeling" so I feel it should be subject to penalties for trying the Court's patience.

I admit, those obvious ones I'd present the wrong evidence because I was looking too much into it :bellboy:
Although I completely agree that the Mood Matrix should have penalties associated with it. It's not that hard, and it'd really make you to focus, instead of just hitting every marker. Another thing I want to see more in GS6 is more psyche-locks! :psycho-lock: It's always satisfying breaking each lock!

Programmer

The tale of Edgeworth becoming chief prosecutor is indeed something worth seeing.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

I'd really like to see that survey take place again now that people have had time to digest Dual Destinies. Honestly, I'd wager Fulbright and Blackquill would fall lower on the list now that their "new" has worn off.

That said, if they're basing where AA6 goes off that survey, I'd expect to see Apollo's story finally get some closure and for Maya to finally come back.

currently stuck in P3 pitfall

Quote:

I wish they could've made an anime adaptations, like Dangan Ronpa, it's a mystery-visual novel game, and it has already been adapted into an anime. Wouldn't it be cool if Ace Attorney had an anime?
uhh... still waiting for a new sig to be made...

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

As long as they pace it better than the Dangan Ronpa anime. I loved how accurate the anime was, right down to using the same voice actors and music, but it felt far too rushed.

If they can pull off an accurate Ace Attorney anime with better pacing, I'll be all for that.
Page 1 of 2 [ 42 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes