Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 2[ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ace Attorney 6: Japanese eShop demo released, key artTopic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

The Nintendo eShop page for Ace Attorney 6 opened in Japan today, which means clean key art and a demo!

First, the key art wallpaper:

A full-size, wallpaper version can be seen on Nintendo's site.

Next, the demo! If you have a Japanese 3DS, you can grab it right now. If you don't, you can watch a full playthrough here and here.

Be advised the demo contains an extended intro apparently revealing episode one's culprit. Besides that, there's an anime intro to the game itself showing Kurain in disarray before flashing back a month to Phoenix's arrival, as well as some additional voice acting in the main demo and a few extra scenes in the sizzle trailer at the end. Otherwise, it's largely identical to the web demo.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Ace Attorney 6: Japanese eShop demo released, key artTopic%20Title

Programmer

I wouldn't trust the demo too much. Remember the DD, GT and AAI demos? They had notable script differences. Nothing as bad as the entirely bogus trailer scenes for AAI and GK2, but still enough to omit or change key details.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

The culprit won't change, though. Well, it's not like we have a ton of possible suspects to choose from.

Lusankya wrote:
The culprit won't change, though. Well, it's not like we have a ton of possible suspects to choose from.

If only more demos were like Danganronpa demo, were they deliberately changed the victim to not spoil the main game.....

AA5 demo was still different from the final game but not different enough

Programmer

I wonder. That's an in engine cutscene, so it wouldn't be difficult to just swap the model. Maybe an hour or two to ensure that the replaced model has the needed animations. Also book, cover, etc.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

The cape is self-fluttering

Awesome, awesome, Bolt. Thanks for all the news.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

The miracle finally happen...

Not too keen on the music so far, especially the cross-examination theme. That said, I am (slowly) warming up to the pursuit theme, so that might change. Are you going to upload high quality rips of the demo music Bolt?

Athena Internet Defense Force

Hm...

If I'm to speculate, it looks like each region's associated characters are on their respective sides. If that's the case, it kind of suggests Edgeworth is going to be a Kurain-only character.

EDIT: Never mind, I stuck my foot in my mouth. I forgot we've already seen screenshots of Ema in Kurain.

Tactician

so there is no Franziska in this game :(

Gardevoir lover

kamuisama wrote:

To be fair this game is stuffed to the brim with nothing but fanservice.

Isn't that enough?

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Mia Payne

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
kamuisama wrote:

Isn't that enough?

If AA6 is filled to the brim with fanservice, AA 2 and 3 are as well

Gardevoir lover

Blizdi wrote:

Is fanservice just a trigger word for you or something?

Mia Payne

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Blizdi wrote:

Yes. Especially when it comes under a Takumi can do no wrong mentality

Gardevoir lover

Blizdi wrote:
Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Blizdi wrote:

Yes. Especially when it comes under a Takumi can do no wrong mentality

I don't have a Takumi can do no wrong mentality, hell i think Justice for all is worse than DD.

I do too but at the same time I'm getting a waft of cynicism coming from your direction about where this game is headed.

Gardevoir lover

Gyakuten$aiban wrote:
I do too but at the same time I'm getting a waft of cynicism coming from your direction about where this game is headed.

It's hard not to be cynical when a series you love seems to care more about bringing back familiar faces to sell more copies rather than telling an interesting story.

I would say Dual Destinies went more whole-hog with the nostalgic characters and most of that game's plotting problems weren't even related to those characters (in fact they kind of squandered them) but the overemphasis on Athena's role in the game (and the fact that Case 3 kept hammering the friendship button, I must admit, even though I found the characters in that case some of the most charming in the game).

Gardevoir lover

Gyakuten$aiban wrote:
I would say Dual Destinies went more whole-hog with the nostalgic characters and most of that game's plotting problems weren't even related to those characters but the overemphasis on Athena's role in the game (and the fact that Case 3 kept hammering the friendship button, I must admit, even though I found the characters in that case some of the most charming in the game).

But in this case just look at the poster!
It just screams "Look! All your favorite characters are returning! This'll be the best game ever!"
That trick might have worked with DD but i'm not falling for it here.

If this game's story is not compelling then I know what to blame.

Apollon Flame

Is there a problem with bringing back old characters? You can tell new stories with the same characters over and over again. Besides: I prefer this lovely series to stay alive, than to die because of a bad business decision to abruptly change focus from a mix between old and new cast, to new cast with new elements. Almost as if a reboot.
A King

in name

alone...

Well I'm of the opinion that Phoenix Wright's continued level of presence is holding the series back (in fact I regard the "we ran out of challenges for Phoenix in his native land" explanation for the introduction of Khura'in as a fancy way of saying "we ran out of ideas", which I don't think would have happened if they shifted the series focus). I think they could do so much more if they completely turned the page and left all the story movement to the younger characters and their supporting casts.

I even had the idea of letting Phoenix be playable during an investigation during a case but then turning over the reins of the trial to Athena (so you still get that internal monologue during the investigations but Athena is the one putting it to work in the courtroom). Also I don't mind Phoenix being playable in a DLC case but his role in the main story really should be one of an overseeing mentor.

Last edited by Gyakuten$aiban on Wed May 11, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gardevoir lover

Scent wrote:
Is there a problem with bringing back old characters? You can tell new stories with the same characters over and over again. Besides: I prefer this lovely series to stay alive, than to die because of a bad business decision to abruptly change focus from a mix between old and new cast, to new cast with new elements. Almost as if a reboot.

Not inherently, sometimes returning characters can be a good thing but a lot of times in this series (especially recently) returning characters feel really forced, going all like "Hi i still exist bye!" multiply that by like 8 then that gets pretty annoying.

I'd personally prefer this series to have a new cast, especially now where they admitted that they can't come up with a worthy challenge for Phoenix and the gang so they have to move him to another country, what's gonna happen in AA7? Is phoenix just gonna travel the world? What's gonna be the justification for that? Maybe telling the story of another rookie lawyer growing into his/her own with his/her own cast of characters, i mean ask people who watch Pokemon or the Simpsons, they can tell you how boring it is to watch the same people get in the same problems over and over again.

I guess that's why i like AA4 so much or how i'm much more interested in DGS over AA6.

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Gyakuten$aiban wrote:
I would say Dual Destinies went more whole-hog with the nostalgic characters and most of that game's plotting problems weren't even related to those characters but the overemphasis on Athena's role in the game (and the fact that Case 3 kept hammering the friendship button, I must admit, even though I found the characters in that case some of the most charming in the game).

But in this case just look at the poster!
It just screams "Look! All your favorite characters are returning! This'll be the best game ever!"
That trick might have worked with DD but i'm not falling for it here.

A promotional poster that doesn't scream 'this'll be the best game ever!' is a bad promotional poster.

And seriously, how many returning characters we have? Phoenix, Apollo and Athena work in WAA, so it's natural for them to be in this game, and Ema is just fulfilling a role that someone has to fulfill. Edgeworth and Blackquill haven't got any hype or even mentioned to be relevant, but is a series tradition to have a guest prosecutor, and I guess one of them will be that. The only really hyped comeback is Maya and that is something fans have been asking for years. That's not 'stuffed to the brim with nothing but fanservice'.

And DD wasn't either. In fact, people got pissed by the lack of fanservice, (because the returning character were just cameos) not by having too much of it. Although that was probably more about promising fanservice and then not delivering it.

The Law 'Shark'

It really does come across a little too cynical, to me, to simply rail against returns so readily without really seeing how they hold up first anyway.
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

Bolt Storm wrote:

It's a game about lawyers and murder trials, I swear!

Apollon Flame

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Scent wrote:

Not inherently, sometimes returning characters can be a good thing but a lot of times in this series (especially recently) returning characters feel really forced, going all like "Hi i still exist bye!" multiply that by like 8 then that gets pretty annoying.

I'd personally prefer this series to have a new cast, especially now where they admitted that they can't come up with a worthy challenge for Phoenix and the gang so they have to move him to another country, what's gonna happen in AA7? Is phoenix just gonna travel the world? What's gonna be the justification for that? Maybe telling the story of another rookie lawyer growing into his/her own with his/her own cast of characters, i mean ask people who watch Pokemon or the Simpsons, they can tell you how boring it is to watch the same people get in the same problems over and over again.

I guess that's why i like AA4 so much or how i'm much more interested in DGS over AA6.

The problem is that there needs to be a transition from Phoenix Wright to another protagonist. With how Apollo Justice is being marketed to be the game's other protagonist, there's a possibility that Apollo could be the series' new face.

Not that I'm against leaving old characters behind, but I want Ace Attorney to go on, but not hit a stale corner. Capcom HAS to transition the series into the hands of a different protagonist. We presently have two overarching plots: Khura'in and whatever the hell is gonna happen in Japanifornia. Hopefully Japanifornia's plot gets more of the spotlight than Khura'in because Apollo is over there and needs the spotlight.
A King

in name

alone...

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Gyakuten$aiban wrote:
Well I'm of the opinion that Phoenix Wright's continued level of presence is holding the series back (in fact I regard the "we ran out of challenges for Phoenix in his native land" explanation for the introduction of Khura'in as a fancy way of saying "we ran out of ideas", which I don't think would have happened if they shifted the series focus). I think they could do so much more if they completely turned the page and left all the story movement to the younger characters and their supporting casts.

I even had the idea of letting Phoenix be playable during an investigation during a case but then turning over the reins of the trial to Athena (so you still get that internal monologue during the investigations but Athena is the one putting it to work in the courtroom). Also I don't mind Phoenix being playable in a DLC case but his role in the main story really should be one of an overseeing mentor.

I'm of the same opinion that Phoenix's role should be diminished, and I like the idea of playing as him to help someone like Athena in the investigation, then playing as her in the courtroom. But Apollo and Athena are young, and I think Phoenix being the main character is keeping the developers from basing the bulk of gameplay and development on them.

But Phoenix is probably the most marketable face of the franchise.

The Law 'Shark'

It also doesn't help that I don't feel Capcom really know what they want to do LONG TERM with the franchise...banking on Phoenix for *brand recognition* than strength of storytelling alone.
~Beware of the Shark - He'll bite!~

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
kamuisama wrote:

Isn't that enough?

What do you think of Trials & Tribulations?

Returning characters in SoJ: 10*
Returning characters in T&T: 13

*Not counting Pre-Order DLC only characters, so Klavier or Pearl could still be in the main game and would increase the number to 12.

Art Person

Lusankya wrote:
Klonoahedgehog wrote:
kamuisama wrote:

Isn't that enough?

*Not counting Pre-Order DLC only characters, so Klavier or Pearl could still be in the main game and would increase the number to 12.

And Jinxie makes 13

But there's a difference between returning characters from the new trilogy vs from the old Trilogy, and really only Maya's come up from the old to the new.
I just want to make sure their inclusions are meaningful. Klavier's (and unfortunately Trucy's) weren't in DD, but they couldn't really ignore them either.

Last edited by SuperAj3 on Fri May 13, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gardevoir lover

Lusankya wrote:

Trials and tribulations was meant to be end of an overarching story spanning between 3 games, of course there's gonna be returning characters.

Mia Payne

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Lusankya wrote:

Trials and tribulations was meant to be end of an overarching story spanning between 3 games, of course there's gonna be returning characters.

MmMMMmmmm I love the smell of bias in the morninf!

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Demo was kinda alright. It's shorter than the DD one for sure and ends on the Objection theme rather than the pursuit theme and then the trailer has the regular pursuit theme. Overall I can't help but feel they put less money into this production or maybe it's trivial and that's just how it turned out.

I kinda like it, but I have a feeling that this will be an AAI2 situation. I liked DD at first and then I felt sorta meh on it after finishing it, but with AAI2 I disliked it until halfway through and then it kinda grew on me.

The game has a lot of turnoff material, like a political premise, the religious, spiritual stuff, Phoenix seeming too righteous in his expression and stuff, but there's still a good chance that the game will hook me once its overarching plot really gets going.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Gardevoir lover

Blizdi wrote:

MmMMMmmmm I love the smell of bias in the morninf!

Dude there's a difference between the returning characters seen in the Investigation games and AA5 and the returning characters seen in the original trilogy.

In the original trilogy they help out substantially throughout the trilogy growing there characters along with the story.

In the Investigation games and AA5 there just kind of there and they don't even help that much.

Mia Payne

linkenski wrote:
Demo was kinda alright. It's shorter than the DD one for sure and ends on the Objection theme rather than the pursuit theme and then the trailer has the regular pursuit theme. Overall I can't help but feel they put less money into this production or maybe it's trivial and that's just how it turned out.

I kinda like it, but I have a feeling that this will be an AAI2 situation. I liked DD at first and then I felt sorta meh on it after finishing it, but with AAI2 I disliked it until halfway through and then it kinda grew on me.

The game has a lot of turnoff material, like a political premise, the religious, spiritual stuff, Phoenix seeming too righteous in his expression and stuff, but there's still a good chance that the game will hook me once its overarching plot really gets going.

How? Literally everything is improved from DD. From graphics to music to quality of anime scenes to even in-game cutscenes

Lacks the brain for meaningful posts.

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Lusankya wrote:

Let's have a look at Spirit of Justice's returning characters and their, as we know them, plot justifications.
-> Phoenix, Apollo, Athena and Trucy are all part of the office.
-> Ema has taken back the 'detective' reigns from Fullbright who, because reasons, had to be present last game and couldn't be present this one. The original trilogy kept one detective all through it, I see no reason the same wouldn't apply starting with Apollo Justice*.
*Although Dual Destinies was an exception, again, for plot reasons.
-> Maya. Again, the 'plot reasons' card is played. You could call it fan service, return to form, or plot necessity. I leave it to your discretion.
-> I doubt Gaspen Payne is what you're worried about.
-> The game would also be kind of boring without the Judge, and even that one's kind of changed.
-> Klavier, Pearl, Edgeworth and Blackquill could be taken for the fan service characters. Of course, Edgeworth's triumphant presence in the games is, at this point, series tradition, but I'll concede it can be taken as fan service, though not unexpected.
-> Klavier and Pearl have absolutely no purpose as of yet, though they aren't confirmed to be present in the main game.
-> Finally, Blackquill. No idea what his role will be. Expecting something similar to Franziska's in T&T.

After all this, I personally conclude that fanservice-y characters present in the main game would be Blackquill, Edgeworth and Maya.

This is, however, entirely dependent on another important factor, and that is their role.
-> Let's start with Edgeworth. Over time, it has become series tradition for him to return during the final case of the games. Sometimes, his role will be relevant - AA2 - or irrelevant - AA3* and AA5. It'll likely be fan service, though a traditional one.
*I love Edgeworth and I really want him to appear every game, but his presence in T&T was not strictly necessary. If, because Phoenix fell off a Bridge, Edgeworth had to necessarily take over, then his presence in Dual Destinies can be justified in a similar manner: Because the kidnapper wanted the best prosecutor on the job.
I've reconsidered my earlier position. His presence in the final case of T&T was justified by his presence in the flashbacks.
-> As for Blackquill, I maintain my earlier position. Much like Franziska, he will return because he was prosecutor last time. I consider him entirely in the fan service realm until his actual role is expanded upon.
-> The hardest to judge is Maya. If we go by plot necessity, she's one of the most important characters, serving as the anchor for Phoenix's stay in this new unknown country. However, it cannot be denied that they didn't need to tie the plot to a character who hasn't appeared for 4 games (AAI & 2, DD and DGS). The story as we know it thus far would have to be considerably altered in order to remain coherent, were Maya not to be present. On this basis, I'll consider her presence justifiable.

Last edited by Tiagofvarela on Sat May 14, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

Quote:
I love Edgeworth and I really want him to appear every game, but his presence in T&T was not strictly necessary. If, because Phoenix fell off a Bridge, Edgeworth had to necessarily take over, then his presence in Dual Destinies can be justified in a similar manner: Because the kidnapper wanted the best prosecutor on the job.

Well, he appeared in 3-4, giving him a connection to 3-5. He's the only one from 3-4 who could tell Wright about how he thought he saw Iris, as Pearl was unwilling to do any channeling.
It was because of Edgeworth that he got Franziska involved, because she would not turn up a chance to fight him.
I think GK2 did a better job of Edgeworth as a defense attorney than 3-5, though.
Quote:
As for Blackquill, I maintain my earlier position. Much like Franziska, he will return because he was prosecutor last time. I consider him entirely in the fan service realm until his actual role is expanded upon.

Unless they try to expand upon the dynamic he and Athena have as prosecutor and lawyer? That's something I doubt, since she only faced him once, but they did have that psychological manipulation moment in 5-5.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

So, quick question: What does the 3DS home screen jingle for the game sound like? For example, GS5 was Phoenix, Apollo and Athena shouting "Gyakuten Saiban 5!", DD was "Objection!". So what was GS6's?
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Programmer

I forgotten the jingle, but the 3d model is Rayfa.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Yash K. Productions wrote:
So, quick question: What does the 3DS home screen jingle for the game sound like? For example, GS5 was Phoenix, Apollo and Athena shouting "Gyakuten Saiban 5!", DD was "Objection!". So what was GS6's?

GS6's is almost the same as GS5's, but it's Chibi Rayfa stretching her arm dancing or something, a title-splash and Athena, Apollo and Nick yelling "GYAKUTEN SAIBAN SHIKKUSU!" :phoenix: :apollo: :athena:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Page 1 of 2 [ 46 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes