Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 2[ 41 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lady Layton announced (3DS/Android/iOS, spring 2017 JP)Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

This isn’t technically a Layton site, but hey, it’s got a certain connection to AA, wouldn’t you agree?

Tonight, Level-5 announced the latest main Layton game: Lady Layton: The Millionaire King Ariadne's Plot!

The game focuses on Layton’s daughter, Catoleil Catrielle Layton (romanization to be confirmed) and sees a return to the adventure-and-puzzle style of the original series.

The game will be released in Japan in spring of next year, available not only on 3DS but also iOS and Android devices. A localization is yet to be announced, but Level-5 trademarked “Lady Layton” in Europe recently.

Check out the official trailer over this way, and the official site over here.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Lady Layton announced (3DS/Android/iOS, spring 2017 JP)Topic%20Title

Gardevoir lover

Did they show any gameplay outside the puzzles? Or was i not really paying attention during that?

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Gettin' Old!

Ah so will this game be like a fresh start to the Layton series now it is sallying forth with a new protagonist in a main game? Not like Layton Brothers did
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Pierre wrote:
Ah so will this game be like a fresh start to the Layton series now it is sallying forth with a new protagonist in a main game? Not like Layton Brothers did

They seemed to be pushing the idea of an entirely new cast pretty heavily. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two cameos but I think they know the old storyline is done with.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

wilddrawfour.tumblr.com

I wonder if the puzzles would be up to par with the past games, with Akira Tago gone and all.

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!

Restless college student

The music just sounds absolutely brilliant!
I just love the art style of the characters in the Layton series.

迷探偵

Bolt Storm wrote:
The game focuses on Layton’s daughter, Catoleil Layton (romanization to be confirmed) and sees a return to the adventure-and-puzzle style of the original series.

For the time being, I think Catrielle sounds/looks better...

Not super excited, but 'simply' excited as a new Layton game. Not too big a fan of the new voice actors for the moment. While this was to be expected, it's still a shame Level-5 still mainly chooses mainstream screen actors instead of voice actors. Of course, some choices are really good, as Oizumi and HoMaki were great as Layton and Luke, but of the new main cast they presented only Yakusho (the dog) sounded like he fitted (and the only one I didn't even notice even though I love his acting). Most of the other voices were noticably not really voice actors. Kuroki was kinda okay in that one single line, but both Arimura (Catrielle) and Sakaguchi sounded a bit off. Especially Sakaguchi. I've seen him only once before in a TV drama, but his voice really stood out in a bad meaning.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Gettin' Old!

Bolt Storm wrote:
Pierre wrote:

They seemed to be pushing the idea of an entirely new cast pretty heavily. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two cameos but I think they know the old storyline is done with.

If that's the case it sounds like a good jumping on point for a lot of new fans.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Beware of the Dog

That girl is somewhat... strange, I think? I guess I'll play it anyway, but it somehow bothers me that her dog talkes to her. She can't be blood related to Luke Triton, can she? Or isn't that ability of communicating with animals inheritable at all? Oh man, I'm overthinking that...

The cape is self-fluttering

Viktoria von Karma wrote:
That girl is somewhat... strange, I think? I guess I'll play it anyway, but it somehow bothers me that her dog talkes to her. She can't be blood related to Luke Triton, can she? Or isn't that ability of communicating with animals inheritable at all? Oh man, I'm overthinking that...

Maybe Luke finally figured out why he's able to talk to animals and passed on the secret years ago. Either that, or this poor girl is under the influence of something.

Hoping for some localization news, will be pleasantly surprised if this comes to the US.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Gardevoir lover

Jean Descole wrote:

Maybe Luke finally figured out why he's able to talk to animals and passed on the secret years ago. Either that, or this poor girl is under the influence of something.

Hoping for some localization news, will be pleasantly surprised if this comes to the US.

At the very least it's confirmed for a release in Europe, i hope they announce the game stateside soon.

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Jean Descole wrote:

At the very least it's confirmed for a release in Europe, i hope they announce the game stateside soon.

As do I. I'd like to know if I can continue using my 3DS or if I have to purchase a $500 phone.
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

Gardevoir lover

They already confirmed a 3DS version. :D

I'm just hoping they keep the point and click adventure styled overworld, i know these games are puzzle games at heart but i really like looking at the world and speaking to people in these games.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Calling it now, they'll never tell us who her mother is. And there's about a 50% chance they'll tie this to Layton Brothers, and a 50% chance it takes place in a separate world line.

I'm not crazy about her design. There was just something endearing about the Professor's design, but his daughter just looks a little off for some reason. Also, why do we have a talking dog as a sidekick?

Now here's a question, do you think the new series will play more fairly to the players in allowing them the opportunity to solve the mystery before Lady Layton does? Or do you think it'll stick to the time honored tradition of pulling the ending out of its butt at the last minute?

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
They already confirmed a 3DS version. :D

Yes, for Japan and (I assume) Europe.

I'm concerned about the life of the 3DS as well.

TheDoctor wrote:
Now here's a question, do you think the new series will play more fairly to the players in allowing them the opportunity to solve the mystery before Lady Layton does? Or do you think it'll stick to the time honored tradition of pulling the ending out of its butt at the last minute?

Hehehehe! It actually wasn't too bad in Miracle Mask. It does seem like everything in the series is treated like a puzzle, right down to the story. Unfortunately, it does hurt the execution.

...NAILED IT

What's a Court Records?

I'm so looking forward to this.
Why am I even here?

YouTube Twitter Tumblr Steam Discord

Programmer

Miracle mask went too far in the other direction. The reveal was so obvious that everybody saw it coming.

Also, it looks like A-1 Pictures is involved. You may know them as the studio behind the Ace Attorney anime.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Gardevoir lover

Random thought the professor Layton games had a trilogy, then a prequel trilogy and now an episode 7 with a female protagonist...
I'm totally expecting the ending for this game to be that Catrielle stands on a mountain, handing a tophat to a man in a robe, the man takes off his hood to reveal Layton with a puffy white beard. Catrielle asking him if that belongs to him. Then the credits roll.

henke37 wrote:
Miracle mask went too far in the other direction. The reveal was so obvious that everybody saw it coming.

Partly due to Yuri Lowenthal's voice being so easy to spot.

A New Chapter of Trials!

Aw mannnn, this looks amazing. I guess both of Layton's kids went into detective work because they knew if they tried to be anything else the mysteries would find them anyways. Family tradition and all.
Eureka!

元・超会社員級の管理人

Ash wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:
The game focuses on Layton’s daughter, Catoleil Layton (romanization to be confirmed) and sees a return to the adventure-and-puzzle style of the original series.

For the time being, I think Catrielle sounds/looks better...

Not super excited, but 'simply' excited as a new Layton game. Not too big a fan of the new voice actors for the moment. While this was to be expected, it's still a shame Level-5 still mainly chooses mainstream screen actors instead of voice actors. Of course, some choices are really good, as Oizumi and HoMaki were great as Layton and Luke, but of the new main cast they presented only Yakusho (the dog) sounded like he fitted (and the only one I didn't even notice even though I love his acting). Most of the other voices were noticably not really voice actors. Kuroki was kinda okay in that one single line, but both Arimura (Catrielle) and Sakaguchi sounded a bit off. Especially Sakaguchi. I've seen him only once before in a TV drama, but his voice really stood out in a bad meaning.

Yeah, that sounds much better. Thanks.

Added link to the official trailer upload and site as well.

I'm in a similar boat as you, as in I'm excited on a normal level but I'm not losing my mind. It'll just be nice to have a new traditional Layton game next year, as that marks 4 years since Azran Legacy (at least for JP players.) Voices were a bit hit or miss, but I didn't mind that too much.

Wooster wrote:

A Kirby and AA fan

Ash wrote:
but of the new main cast they presented only Yakusho (the dog) sounded like he fitted

Interestingly, I think exactly the opposite. The only one that sounded really off to me was the dog. The expressions didn't fit the voice at all, with the voice sounding a bit more calm whereas the expressions are all very shocked and flabbergasted and all that

but it somehow bothers me that her dog talkes to her. She can't be blood related to Luke Triton, can she? Or isn't that ability of communicating with animals inheritable at all?

That butler person also responded to the dog, right? So, unless they're both related to Luke Triton, I don't think it's an inheritable trait. Either it's taught, or the animals can all speak (or at least the dog and the bird)

Beware of the Dog

Nurio wrote:
That butler person also responded to the dog, right? So, unless they're both related to Luke Triton, I don't think it's an inheritable trait. Either it's taught, or the animals can all speak (or at least the dog and the bird)

Maybe, but since that only happens one single time, couldn't it also be a case of the trailer completely bending the rules and the story for the sake of viewing pleasure and spoiler-freeness? For example, like the trailer in which Athena analysed Ted Tonate's computer voice? (I know that AA is by Capcom and Layton isn't. I'm just talking about mystery game trailers in general.)

A Kirby and AA fan

Nurio wrote:

Maybe, but since that only happens one single time, couldn't it also be a case of the trailer completely bending the rules and the story for the sake of viewing pleasure and spoiler-freeness? For example, like the trailer in which Athena analysed Ted Tonate's computer voice? (I know that AA is by Capcom and Layton isn't. I'm just talking about mystery game trailers in general.)

Perhaps... But would they really animate and voice that bit (essentially wasting resources) for something like that? In the case of Athena -- though I don't know what exactly you're talking about since I avoided most promotional material like I am also doing with AA6 -- I imagine it was just a section rendered with the game engine, using voice blips? That wouldn't really cost any resources

Beware of the Dog

Nurio wrote:
Nurio wrote:

Perhaps... But would they really animate and voice that bit (essentially wasting resources) for something like that? In the case of Athena -- though I don't know what exactly you're talking about since I avoided most promotional material like I am also doing with AA6 -- I imagine it was just a section rendered with the game engine, using voice blips? That wouldn't really cost any resources

Hmm, you're right, it wasn't animated...

Art Person

Comsidering Level 5 made heaps of Previews specifically to show off their games (Some a full 10 minute prologue) I wouldn't put it past them to have done so. Could've also been re-dubbed footage just used for the trailer?

Gardevoir lover

SuperAj3 wrote:
Comsidering Level 5 made heaps of Previews specifically to show off their games (Some a full 10 minute prologue) I wouldn't put it past them to have done so. Could've also been re-dubbed footage just used for the trailer?

Wouldn't surprise me, the very first Layton vs Ace attorney trailer had TONS of things that didn't make it into the final game.

迷探偵

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me, the very first Layton vs Ace attorney trailer had TONS of things that didn't make it into the final game.

The Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney one is a special case though; it was announced in October 2010, but the project only started early in the summer of the same year according to this interview, and the game wouldn't be released until more than two years later. Not even the voice actors (of Phoenix and Maya) made it into the final project. The original trailer was a very, very early product, made to announce the game, while the developers themselves had only just started to have an idea of what they were going to make.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

A Kirby and AA fan

SuperAj3 wrote:

I doubt it's just re-dubbed footage, since it looks like he's really looking at the dog and talking to him in response to what the dog said

The video game boy; the one who wins

Since when in the hell does Layton have a daughter?
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Programmer

Since he adopted one (another similarity between him and Phoenix). Which strangely enough isn't this daughter.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!

Gardevoir lover

Going for Miles wrote:
Since when in the hell does Layton have a daughter?

I expect this to be a major plot point if this spawns into a trilogy.

That's clever. Whenever they want to make a new game, just pull out a new Layton bastard kid out of the hat. Also, I feel kind of bad for always forgetting Flora is his daughter. But it's his fault really, I think he's neglecting her.

What's a Court Records?

Going for Miles wrote:
That's clever. Whenever they want to make a new game, just pull out a new Layton bastard kid out of the hat. Also, I feel kind of bad for always forgetting Flora is his daughter. But it's his fault really, I think he's neglecting her.

Not really. Flora's not Layton's daughter. Layton is her guardian. That's all.
Why am I even here?

YouTube Twitter Tumblr Steam Discord

Gardevoir lover

Going for Miles wrote:

He's not a very good father, just look at Alfendi.

But did he raise Alfendi?

Going for Miles wrote:

I don't think he means to do so, but I agree to some extent. The girl's more or less been on her own for a long time (the game indicates it was two months but I've heard it was closer to two years) and likely has separation anxiety or abandonment issues, and every time Layton and Luke leave her behind, it gets treated like some big joke. I genuinely believe he cares for her, but at that point in time, he kind of fails as a "dad." Hopefully after PL3, he's gotten his priorities straight.

...NAILED IT

迷探偵

While I'm glad that the Layton series is back again, I have to admit that what I really want to see is another entry in Level-5's the Sloan & MacHale series. These games had a great atmosphere and really cool stories (the games consist of lateral thinking puzzles. You are told a story with a strange twist, and you need to figure out what happened by asking yes/no questions).

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I enjoy the Layton series (especially the newer prequel games) so I'm looking forward to this.

I recently finally played through Layton Brothers: Mystery Room, though, and I wonder how that is going to fit into all this.

My best bet is that it won't, honestly. They obviously never made another one, which makes me think it wasn't too successful. I think also having two Layton siblings wouldn't really work because I think it would be too complicated to try and write-in/explain Alfendi while they're trying to jumpstart a new protagonist by giving her her own mystery. My best guess is that Lady Layton is going to be the "canon" story that moves forward and that we'll never hear about Alfendi or anything Mystery Room-related again.

I think this is kind of a shame because I really like Layton Bros and its characters (I have some criticisms from a gameplay perspective but from a story perspective I thought it was interesting and different from the traditional Layton game). But they also bring up some questions, especially regarding how Hershel influenced and affected the person we find Alfendi to be late in the game
Spoiler:
At the end, we find out that the quiet, Layton-like Alfendi is actually an alternate personality brought on by trauma from a previous case, and that the "real" Alfendi is a loud, obsessive, manic detective who is more similar to characters like "Sherlock"'s version of Sherlock holmes - rude and not concerned with others feelings if they are interrupting his thoughts

The question of how this man grew up around Hershel and what their relationship could be explored in a new game but I feel like it would take away from Lady Layton's development. The Layton games already are less story heavy than a game like AA and they don't really have time to cover both stories in my opinion. The previous dark qualities of the story also don't seem to fit the tone of the new game.

So I don't really feel like Layton Bros. "exists" any more in the world of Layton, but while that's disappointing its probably for the best going forward.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Probably not. I loved that game, and I loved Alfendi (amongst other characters in it).

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Going for Miles wrote:
Probably not. I loved that game, and I loved Alfendi (amongst other characters in it).

Yeah I enjoyed it a lot. It was a lot different than traditional Layton but I like it when franchises branch out and try new things.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
Page 1 of 2 [ 41 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General » Trial Minutes