Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 13 posts ]

Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice English devblog opensTopic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

The devblog for AA6's been running in Japanese for a while (click that link for some translations and upcoming topics), but today AA localization director Janet Hsu is bringing it to English!

In her blog at Capcom-Unity, Hsu commemorates 10 years of the series and translates two of the AA6 devblog entries, covering the game's theme and the game's writing:

Quote:
Hello again to long-time Ace Attorney fans, and nice to meet you to new folk who have just joined us on our outrageous legal adventure! I’m Janet Hsu, localization director of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice.

Is everyone having a great 10th anniversary year of Ace Attorney?! It’s hard to believe that the first game was released almost 11 years ago now in the west, but here we are! In fact, we’ve actually caught up to the events of the first game’s timeline – *gasp* the future is now!

Is anyone replaying the games in real time? If so, then you know there’s a nice gap right between episodes 2 and 3 of the first game to slot in a playthrough of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice, which is coming out on September 8th! I, for one, am looking forward to non-stop Ace Attorney fun through the end of the year.

Speaking of Spirit of Justice, well, I’m sure you can guess why I’m back blogging on Capcom Unity. Yup, it’s time for dev and loc blogs once again! So now, without further ado, I bring you the first in a number of installments in which we’ll explore the various facets of how we, the development team and the localization team, created a little game called Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice.

At the heart of every Ace Attorney are the strong stories and characters that keep you playing until you’ve gathered every piece of evidence and unraveled every mystery. So naturally, the director Mr. Yamazaki and one of our writers, Mr. Fukuda, would have the best insight into how the story of each episode and the game as a whole was put together. So, take it away, Mr. Yamazaki!

The Theme of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice

Hello and hap'piraki everyone! This is the director of Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, Takeshi Yamazaki. (Hap’piraki is a standard Khura’inese greeting.) I’m here today to talk a little about the main theme of this game.

When work started on AA: SoJ, my very first order of business was to decide on a theme, because we certainly wouldn’t have gotten very far without one. The theme of the previous game, Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, was the destruction of the court. Based on this key concept, we wrote about the dark age of the law, the literal bombing of a courthouse, and even a prosecutor who was also a convicted felon. Thanks to all of these impactful elements, the then-newest mainline entry was able to captivate people anew after a long, seven-year hiatus for the series.

And then, it came time to make its sequel – this game.

Like any long-running series, Ace Attorney lives or dies by each game’s ability to go beyond its predecessor. The same is true for the themes of each game. This meant that the core concept for AA:SoJ had to be even more impressive than the destruction of the legal system itself! Like Apollo and his Chords of Steel exercises, I found myself yelling, “HOW THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO PULL THIS OFF?!” at the top of my lungs as I sat there at my desk, trying to come up as many ideas as I could to overcome this giant wall in front of me.

“The birth of a court system!” “The evolution of a court system!” “The incineration of a court system!” “An ancient court!” “An underwater court!” “A space court!”

No, no, no! What I needed was a catchier, more impactful key concept – something no one had ever done before. I was lamenting to myself with my head in my hands when Mr. Eshiro, the producer, came over to me with a giant grin on his face.

Head on over to Janet's blog to read the rest!

[Court-Records is looking for researchers!]
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice English devblog opensTopic%20Title

Clarion of Revelations

This will likely be the same as the Japanese one, right? Because I've read every single one and if they're the same I shouldn't read them again :p

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

When reading this I actually wondered if Janet had been reading Ash's translations to save time or something, but I guess both are just really idiomatically translated with the japanese blog post.

Reading through some of Yamazaki's weirdest brainstorm headlines again, The "Inceneration of a court system" makes me laugh the most. It's just such a stupid suggestion xD
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

迷探偵

I have some additional full translations of these posts on Gyakuten Saiban Library, with a few more planned next week.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

A New Chapter of Trials!

Ah, I was wondering when it would be time for Janet to start posting again. I always like reading these.
Eureka!

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

A new one appeared!

Journey to the West: The Search for the Kingdom of Khura’in

Don't know if these are going to be separate news stories on C-R every time one pops up, but I figured I'd post it here if anyone hadn't seen it.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Ace GalPal :D

SWEETNESS! I look forward to reading these!

Siggy Made By Nadindi Avii Made By the Lovely Chloe

D.A. McCoy wrote:
A new one appeared!

Journey to the West: The Search for the Kingdom of Khura’in

Don't know if these are going to be separate news stories on C-R every time one pops up, but I figured I'd post it here if anyone hadn't seen it.

That was a nice read, especially because this time we got a developer story exclusive for the English version.

Oh, that first concept for Rayfa definitely came from Leon The Professional :gregory:

Natalie Portman playing the kid assistant to a killer assassin

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Nice find!

The concept of an underground court for AA has been one of those ideas put up several times among the team. I'm actually kinda hoping they do eventually put it into practice. The "seedy underbelly of society" has been lightly touched upon in T&T and AJ, but they only concerned a small part of it. Imagine a GS game that takes inspiration from Sega's Yakuza stories. Project X Zone 2 was only the beginning.

Then again, it may be more appropriate for a GK game instead, given the direction GS6 has already taken. Or, if Takumi's team wants to take a darker turn with Holmesian tales, they could introduce such in DGS2. In any case, I really just want to see some cast of lawyers confronting shady dealings.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

I honestly think they should take the plunge and make AA7 about this underground court with Apollo as the protagonist. I love the idea even if it is dark and edgy. AJAA was notably darker than the trilogy in atmosphere... And I mean, to be frank PWAA's story is also fucking dark when you think about it, and I honestly wouldn't mind seeing this divisive idea in a main entry.

To me the idea of the underground court goes with the idea that systems and conventions are formed by people, and if it's underground then it means someone has created a big enough establishment away from the known society to warrant a judicial system by criminals for criminals, even if it began with anarchy or something. And that theme has always been interesting to me; anarchy will inevitably lead to order and society if it grows enough.

The big problem of the idea is that if everyone is guilty then who the hell will we be helping?

But I will give that the matter of investigating an underground trial system seems more like an Edgeworth affair and a GK kind of thing.

Mia Payne

New one is out

http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjecti ... tion-oh-my

edit: i just purposefully failed the demo, holy crap that animation on the Guilty is sweeeet

Leader of SCWRM Comms

Another new dev blog has surfaced today:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjecti ... of-justice

Chock full of info, even a secondary design behind-the-scenes for Nayhuta.
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes