Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 14 posts ]

Famitsu Adventure General ElectionTopic%20Title

迷探偵

Famitsu have been holding a series of "general elections" the last few issues, asking readers to vote for their favorite games in a certain genre. People were allowed to vote for three titles. This week's issue features a list of the best adventure games as chosen by the Famitsu readers, and it features some familar titles. The number in parantheses is the number of votes.

1) Steins;Gate (365)
2) 428 – Shibuya Scramble (331)
3) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney [1] (275)
4) Danganronpa – Trigger Happy Havoc (271)
5) Machi – Unmei no Kosaten (258)
6) Kamaitachi no Yoru (Banshee’s Last Cry) (256)
7) Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P (202)
8) New Danganronpa V3 – Killing Harmony (198)
9) Ever17- the out of infinity- (187)
10) Chaos;Child (176)
11) Super Danganronpa 2 – Goodbye Despair (181)
12) Yu-No – Kono Yo No Hate De Koi Wo Utau Shojo (140)
13) Snatcher (109)
14) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney [3] – Trials and Tribulations (104)
15) Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (94)
16) Ghost Trick (92)
17) EVE: Burst Error (86)
18) Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shojo (83)
19) Policenauts (77)
20) Dream C Club Gogo (73)

Last month, Famitsu reported that on May 12th, the following games were also still in the race to rank in the top 25: Otogiriso, Kamaitachi no Yoru 2, Cross Tantei Monogatari, Sanma no Meitantei, Dai Gyakuten Saiban, Net High, Hokkaido Rensa Jiken - Okhotsk ni Kiyu.

Edit: I was halfway gathering the vote numbers through a random collection of screenshots on the web when I noticed the write-up on the Famitsu artice on Japanese Nintendo, so I copied their numbers, but it seems there might be a few typos here and there (Ace Attorney 1 was 275 votes for example, not 108 as noted in the Japanese Nintendo write-up).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Last edited by Ash on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Re: Famitsu Adventure General ElectionTopic%20Title

Happy Maria

Whoa, T&T is only 4 votes behind the entire AA series. Glad to see Ghost Trick has its own audience though.

迷探偵

Oops, should be 275 of course.

(Spike-)Chunsoft is undoubtedly the winner though: 428, Machi, three Danganronpa titles, Kamaitachi no Yoru, and they also ported Portopia to the Famicom・
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Happy Maria

Ah, that makes more sense.

Surprised at the lack of Zero Escape though. I think it should be in this category?

迷探偵

The Zero Escape never did well in Japan; all the games after 999 were basically only developed because of overseas support. Chunsoft's older novel games like Kamaitachi no Yoru, Machi and 428 have always been regarded muuuuuuuch better than the Zero Escape series in Japan in general.

Gettin' Old!

Just wanna say freaked out at the title a bit since today is the actual General Election in UK
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Very happy they put Ghost Trick on that list! I was afraid the general non-fan audience for that game had forgotten or missed it. It did bomb after all.
Ace Attorney 1 is the best? No objections from me!

Yeah, it's strange there's not Zero Escape on that list. Regardless of how ZTD may have been a huge letdown to fans it doesn't take away what 999 or VLR did well in my eyes or at least 999 which can be perfectly enjoyed as a standalone.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

It's also weird since another game by the author, Ever17, is high on that list. Wonder why exactly people in Japan disliked the series.

Also it's interesting how DGS seemingly almost made it on that list but not SoJ or any other AA games besides the series in general and T&T. Has the general opinion on that game been more positive a while after it's release?
Signature loading, please wait...

Happy Maria

^Probably has something to do with all the gore.

Derper

Cesar Zero wrote:
Also it's interesting how DGS seemingly almost made it on that list but not SoJ or any other AA games besides the series in general and T&T. Has the general opinion on that game been more positive a while after it's release?

Simple Answer: It's a poll by famitsu. They also had a popularity poll for Ace Attorney a while back that turned out pretty differently from Capcom's official poll.
Sometimes I feel like facepalming
I'm just not sure on whose face to push my hand on.

迷探偵

Cesar Zero wrote:
It's also weird since another game by the author, Ever17, is high on that list. Wonder why exactly people in Japan disliked the series.

This is just how I experienced it as someone who mainly plays Japanese adventure games, but while 999 might've been refreshing in the West, it wasn't in the Japanese gaming context. 999 basically popularized novel games in the West, as the genre had not been localized often before that time. In Japan however, 999 was just one of the many, and not particularly amazing either: the escape-the-room game boom was nearing its end, and as a novel game 999 was arguably one of more disappointing efforts of Chunsoft (the creator of the novel genre!): it missed many of the features that made Chunsoft's novel games like 428 (second place) and Machi (fifth place) so memorable *and* playable (So you have a game that needs to be beaten several times...but you leave out the flowchart function? Even though every Chunsoft has had one since the PSX era? And just a handful of endings? And a much smaller game in general compared to the other novel games?). Even the subject matter (deadly games & mystery game) was not particular original anymore in Japanese media.

So a lot of what felt new and exciting about 999 for the Western audience just wasn't for the Japanese adventure gamer, so the game never managed to really make an impact.

I myself played 428, Machi and most of the Kamaitachi no Yoru series before I played 999, and I was surprised it was so well-received here, as in most regards, it didn't really match Chunsoft's earlier efforts in the genre.

Reglare wrote:
Cesar Zero wrote:

Simple Answer: It's a poll by famitsu. They also had a popularity poll for Ace Attorney a while back that turned out pretty differently from Capcom's official poll.

Two things that have to be noted about the popularity polls though:
1) Capcom's polls were much smaller in design. They were only aimed at a very small core fanbase (not the general gaming audience, not the general adventure gamer, not people who have played an Ace Attorney game, but people who'd know about, and go watch a two-hour online-only mini talkshow for hardcore fans). The Capcom/NicoNico polls were also very open to rigging, held over a short period of time. The Famitsu popularity poll was aimed at a larger audience, held over a longer time of period and allowed for much more detailed answers.

2) The polls were held at completely different times: the first Capcom/NicoNico poll was held after AA5's release, Famitsu's "recent" poll was held before AA6's release and the secnd Capcom/NicoNico poll was held quite some time after AA6's release.

Derper

I really can't see how Famitsu's poll is supposed to be more representative than Capcom/NicoNico's considering the discrepancies I notice in Famitsu's polls compared to their sales tracking.

For example:

Famitsu's most wanted games for issue 1224 in 2012:
http://nintendoeverything.com/famitsus- ... ssue-1224/

Best-selling games of 2012 based on Famitsu's tracking:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508592

Sure, there are different factors at play between a general popularity poll and weekly popularity polls but there's a clear difference on what the general gaming audience actually got in 2012 and what the people who voted in Famitsu were excited at the time.

If you look closely Resident Evil 6 and Dragon's Dogma both had more votes than Pokemon Black and White 2 and Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D which were releasing in about a few weeks but it definitely wasn't definitive of what the people got based on the sales.
Sometimes I feel like facepalming
I'm just not sure on whose face to push my hand on.

A New Chapter of Trials!

Hmm, I might want to give some of these a try, it's been a while since I last played a good text-heavy game...
Eureka!

迷探偵

Reglare wrote:
I really can't see how Famitsu's poll is supposed to be more representative than Capcom/NicoNico's considering the discrepancies I notice in Famitsu's polls compared to their sales tracking.

For example:

Famitsu's most wanted games for issue 1224 in 2012:

Best-selling games of 2012 based on Famitsu's tracking:

Aren't you comparing two different (but related) things here? So a poll of which the population is Famitsu readership (so smaller population), on their expectations/ intent to play/intent to purchase a product that isn't out yet (the "article" does not actually state what the question posed was) VS actual purchases of actual products that are out, by the complete (game-purchasing) game population? There's of course some relation between the two, but I doubt there's direct correlation, so of course there'll be discrepencies. I mean, there are plenty of upcoming games I look forward to, of which I at this moment are at least contemplating I might buy, but that doesn't mean I will actually buy it right on release.

This is a different matter than comparing two popularity polls, one of which probably has a much smaller target audience in general, of which I only assumed that the one with the larger potential population, will probably more representative of gaming audience in general than one that was set-up for a minor fan event.
Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes